1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer Geek Breakfast - Mikkeller ApS

Beer Geek BreakfastBeer Geek Breakfast

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

Oatmeal Stout |  7.50% ABV

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.

Ingredients : Water, malt (pils, oat, smoked, caramunich, brown, pale chocolate and chocolate), roasted barley, flaked oats, hops (centennial and cascade), ale yeast and gourmet coffee.

(Beer added by: Goldorak on 03-10-2006)
4.15/5  rDev +1%

Served on tap at iTap's birthday week party. Pour was jet black into a tulip with a small tan head. Aroma of chocolate and roasted coffee. Taste full of roasted malt and of course coffee. Chocolate is noticeable as well. This is a pretty solid beer though I think its over priced. I would rather have a Founders Breakfast Stout or a Peche Mortel at a cheaper or comparable price.

3.93/5  rDev -4.4%

16 oz (?) bottle poured into a Meantime tulip. 7.5% ABV, No date.

A - The dark pour was clear but black as night in the glass. A massive dense tan head popped up right away. With good retention, it stuck around for a while and finally dropped to a layer while leaving lots of thick lace.

S - The nose is old and rustic with a lot of earthy notes. A very light hint of alcohol appears right away and is then overpowered by roasted coffee. Lots of roasted malts balance the coffee out well. A little cocoa dryness on the finish is slightly unappetizing.

T - Bitter, strong roasted coffee is overwhelming here. Very bold and real tasting. Lots of roasted malts give it a thick and rich body and flavor. Chocolate and molasses hints come out as well.

M - The oats really smooth the beer out to a velvety creaminess with a full body and a soft finish. The roasted malts and coffee make it one dry, bitter end. Lingering taste too.

D - A good beer going well with my breakfast this Sunday morning, I'll have no problem finish the bottle myself. A tad roasty to be fantastically drinkable for a stout but good none-the-less.

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

Bottle to pint glass.

A: Blacker than night fat three finger khaki head. Head does not quit. Impressive retention. Nice lacing.

S: Espresso and chocolate. Good fragrance.

T: Bitter coffee, chocolate, mocha, bit of vanilla. A bit of bitter hops come through as well. Vague oats.

M: Smooth, silky, full bodied. Really kills it on the mothfeel.

D: Just great.

Really shined on the mouth feel. Overall solid.

4.22/5  rDev +2.7%

A: Dark brown body with solid, cake-like head. Beautiful in my Stone RIS glass.

N: Coffee and dark fruits. Intense. I love the nose on this one, captivating.

T: Rich coffee, chocolate, slightly bitter and even a tiny bit astringent.

M: Coating, but not chewy.

D: Nice brew! A wonderful sipper.

A: Black coffee, 2-finger (lingering) cappuccino head with decent lacing

S: Espresso immediately with notes of fennel/black licorice, faint cocoa

T: Loads of coffee (up front and lingering on the back of the palate), thick malt notes, some noticeable hop bitterness on the back end, not as much chocolate as I was expecting from the nose

M: Relatively heavy but by no means overburdening on the palate

D: Superb, if you like coffee stouts; I can easily picture drinking Sunday morning while getting ready for the Super Bowl

4.53/5  rDev +10.2%

I drank this from a 22oz bottle into my Rochefort chalice.

The beer pours a dark black with a great dark tan head that rises about 3 finger and has decent retention falling to a thick soapy head with decent lacing.

The aroma is medium in strength and at first all you get is coffee. As you dig a little deeper there is a little sweet chocolate.

The taste is light, it starts a little sweet but then the rest start to finish is coffee. However, I love this coffee taste because its not overpowering, to strong, and its incredibly smooth to drink.

The feel is medium, decent viscosity but terrible lasting. Great drinkability.

Overall, I'm very impressed. I'm not a coffee stout fan at all, but this one is incredible. Its not to much coffee and very easy to drink.

4.13/5  rDev +0.5%

Beer Geek Breakfast, not quite my breakfast today but still having it early! Pours pitch black with a big light brown head. Seems to have good retention with the head staying till almost the last drop, though leaves little lacing on the glass. The smell threw me off at first as I got a good scent of chocolate when I was expecting more of a coffee smell. The coffee however is there and is upfront with a nice roasted smell. The taste is similar, nice coffee taste with some chocolate in the background. Has a nice roasted taste. Has somewhat of a different coffee taste than other coffee beers I've had but I really like it, might be espresso I'm getting. Whatever the case it goes down smooth and fast, pretty good stuff. The ABV isn't huge by any means but at 7.5% I don't taste it making this one way more easier to drink. Overall this is one I've been wanting to try for a while and now am glad I did. I don't know how fresh this one was as I believe it's been on the shelf a while making me think a fresh one might have more of a coffee flavor (not that it really needs it or anything). I wish I could start my day off with this more often but as a review said earlier the price tag makes me rethink that. I'll have to pick this one up again once in a while when I have an extra ten bucks!

4.43/5  rDev +7.8%

From a bottle into my 28 oz. snifter.

Pitch black with a two-inch head of cocoa colored head. Moderately dense, plenty of lacing.

A couple layers of coffee. Some espresso, mostly dark roast, and some of the more bitter tannic coffee smells. Plenty of chocolate to go around - and very dark. Nothing too sweet, but a hint of prune as the beer warms.

A mouthful of mocha coffee. A hint more of sweet chocolate than I thought, but mostly rich dark coffee flavors with a touch of espresso and loads of chocolate. Bitter chocolate. A hint of toffee, prune, and raisins, but you can enjoy the beer regardless of if you're interested in those.

Full bodied, but the alcohol is well hidden. Goes down easily - maybe a little too easily - but very tasty. Recommended.

3.85/5  rDev -6.3%

a - poured a four-fingers thick coffee-colored head into a snifter that left clingy lace throughout. the head was incredibly thick and dense and seemed to last forever. the body was dark black.
s - chocolate and dry oats with slight coffee undertone.
t - bitter roasted coffee.
m - velvety smooth.
d - good sipper and one to share.

3.88/5  rDev -5.6%

A: Beautiful dark brown, coffee color with a thin tan head.

S: Nice cacao bitterness with some espresso.

T: Espresso blasts your taste buds to oblivion. Strong smoky roasted coffee bitterness that remains throughout the taste. There is a little hint of brown sugar to provide respite, but I would not say the taste is remotely sugary.

M: Smooth body; not nearly as thick as I had expected. Some carbonation but not much.

D: I think I found something to replace my morning coffee... if it didn't cost $12 a bottle. Ah well, I guess I'll get it on the mornings I really feel like splurging...

4.6/5  rDev +11.9%

500mL bottle poured into a snifter. No bottled date.

(A)- Pours a perfectly dark black color that produced a large tan colored head with some great retention behind it. The foam is just sticking to the insides of the glass.

(S)- Loads of dry oatmeal with bits of cocoa and coffee. Has a bitter yet citrus-like floral bitterness at the end that really wakes you up.

(T)- A flipside from the smell. Instead of a big & dry oatmeal profile, you have a massively roasted & bitter pot of robust coffee in your face. The oatmeal is still in there, but takes a backseat to these huge coffee flavors that borders on espresso strength. Bits of sweet caramel & brown sugar w/in the oatmeal makes for a really nice creamy yet dry finish.

(M)- A good carbonation level for the style. Strong & bold like a cup of joe with just the right amount of dry bitterness without being harsh or overpowering. Has just the right amount of creamy sweetness to balance off that bitterness from the heavily roasted coffee. Thick, but in the best way for the style.

(D)- Beer for breakfast? Cause this one certainly fits the setting (and my desire to) perfectly. Great flavor & balance inside a pretty massive body. A great example of the style, particularly for a coffee themed stout. If this were easier to acquire, I would have this much more often; particularly for breakfast!

3.63/5  rDev -11.7%

Unsure how the dating works but I read this:
Brygget: 15/2-2207
M.H.T: 15/2-2009

50cl bottle from Pub Italia (they mislabeled it as 5.5% ABV)

G: Pint glass

A: Typical stout like body. Opaque black body with three fingers of dark mocha head which was retained quite well. Left thick lacing.

S: Strong aroma of dark roasted coffee beans, some roasted malts but nothing to strong outside of the coffee.

T: Like the aroma it was very coffee dominant. Pleasant, but I could sense no chocolate or other malty flavours that I thought I would.

M: Thick bodied and low carbonation. The oats make for a smooth and creamy texture. Each drink left a strong coffee-bitter feeling which is nice if you like coffee.

D: This was a great coffee stout - thick, creamy, smooth, coffee. I could not pick out any evidence of chocolate which I was disappointed about. I also found it to contain to much coffee. Can't believe I'm saying that. I love stouts and coffee, but this was to much.

4.2/5  rDev +2.2%

A - Pours with a big, three finger head of dark brown foam that rests on an opaque, black body that lets no light through. The foam dissipates slowly and leaves nice, thick lace in its wake.

S - A rich and complex aroma of dark malts. Nutty caramel with toffee and peanut notes as well as dark chocolate, espresso and smoke.

T - Cola like roasted malt notes up front that quickly resolve into black coffee and licorice. Nutty toffee appears in the middle with some bittersweet chocolate and burnt caramel. Finishes with more cola and nut character as well as light coffee and dark chocolate. The lingering aftertaste is long and complex with char, smoke, pipe tobacco, and more of the characteristic cola notes.

M - Medium body, moderately high carbonation, and a dry finish.

D - The aroma of this beer is striking and nothing short of spectacular. The combination of dark malt character presents the nose with a balanced and beguiling sampler of everything one could want in an imperial stout. This sets a high bar for the flavor qualities to get over and, sadly, they can't quite make it. Contrary to the rich layers of espresso and toffee in the aroma, the flavor is plagued by a recurring watery cola character. While I would like to overlook this flat flavor note, it is somewhat dominant in the flavor profile and genuinely hurts the complexity of the beer. Nevertheless there are some echos of the dense aroma in the chocolate and coffee notes of the finish and the aftertaste nearly redeems the flavor with its smoky, acrid charm. Overall it is a very nice beer, but I really expected it to be thicker and I think if is had been, it would have helped the overall impression of the beer, and the complexity of the flavor, immensely. If this beer tasted like it smelled, it would be world class; as it stands, it is good, but leaves me with an aching sense of unfulfilled promise.

Dec 27, 2009

500ml bottle. Pours thick black with a large dense brown head that with excellent retention. Walls of lacing.

Aroma is predominately gourmet coffee beans and dark chocolate.

Flavor opens up with coffee and chocolate, and is followed by some dark fruits. Somewhat bitter and acidic finish.

Medium to high carbonation, but the oats help balance the mouthfeel with some creaminess.

I love me a coffee stout, and this is one of the best I've had.

4.43/5  rDev +7.8%

A- An aggressive pour from the bottle yielded a massive 3-finger-high light brown head, which slowly dissipated to reveal some fantastic sticky lacing. The body was a completely opaque dark brown (almost black), and visibly uncarbonation. Some small chunks of sediment were observed stirring in the bottom of the glass. Picture perfect.

S- Big pungent aromas of chocolate roasted malt, laced with cappuccino, dominate the nose. There's some faint hop aroma lingering in the background of the nose as well.

T- Unlike the nose, the coffee-like characteristics of the beer dominate the palate, with the big chocolately maltiness not too far behind. Some hop bitterness emerges midway and grows considerably in strength through the finish. The finish itself is quite bitter... akin to quinine mixed with some high-alpha lingering hops. Absolutely delicious.

M- A huge chewy body- nicely underattenuated and creamy with an abundance of soft carbonation. A near-perfect score in the mouthfeel department.

D- Quite drinkable. Tasty, smooth and quaffable.

4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

Well, it's totally opaque, thick blackness, thick pour with a 2" deep very dense and fluffy head, slooow retention. a constant, thick and clumpy foam deposit and a perfect look for this style. Strong look.

There's a semi-bitter chocolate, drippy caramel, oatmeal with vanilla, roastie wheat, fermented marichino-cherries. zippy heat with a slight buzz and tingle even though it's a modest abv%.

The first thing I noticed here was the dry and bitter hop effect, very earthy and rather tangy and leafy. more dry, hearty flavor's come along with roastie chocolate and dried wheat and oats. The malt is very complex but never sweet with a bitter medium-roast coffee flavor right in the middle. Gentle baker's chocolate and vanilla round it out. A full-bodied attack with a zippy and warming heat effect at first and then thick and heavy as possible. It really feels like a breakfast! Big smokey malts with a lip smacking, earthy hop balance and more, mellow now, darker-roast style coffee finish.

a complex brew on the serious side yet, very approachable. $10 per bomber is a bit steep, good thing it was quality.

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours almost black with a dark tan head. Produces a massive head with unreal lacing. Nearly perfect appearance in my book. Smells of roasted malt, dark chocolate and whipped cream. Tastes similar with plenty of roasted malt goodness and coffee. Hops are present here in a big way - reminds me of Victory's Storm King Stout - with a nice shot of lingering bitterness on the back-end. Very creamy mouthfeel and low carbonation. This is a highly drinkable stout that is well made. I was actually surprised by the ABV - I was expecting 9+ percent - the 7.5% is welcomed. My first Mikkeller beer - I'm impressed.

4.55/5  rDev +10.7%

I opened this on Christmas morning with my breakfast...It says breakfast on it, so it's acceptable!

Pours thick and black with a good sized creamy light brown head that shows really good retention, and a light carbonation. It gives off a smell of rich bitter chocolate, fresh roasted coffee beans, and a big smokey woodiness. The taste is dominated by strong bitter espresso, like chewing coffee beans, and has a more subtle light chocolate sitting behind, along with an earthy quality. It's thick, creamy, full, and almost chewy in the palete.

This is an exceptional beer, and essential for all beer lovers, and coffee lovers too. I wish I could drink this every morning, although I think that may be somewhat of a slippery slope.

4.08/5  rDev -0.7%

My brother picked this one up for me at Phillipe's in Lafayette. Great find.

Pours dark brown to black with a huge dark tan head. Aroma is big time coffee with some hops as well. Didn't expect to find them in this beer. The flavor is lots of coffee, but also some hop flavor and bitterness. The taste starts with coffee, then moves to citrusy hop flavor and bitterness and then finishes with more coffee. The hops somewhat diminish as the beer warms. Medium thick mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Oatmeal adds to the creamy mouthfeel.

3.7/5  rDev -10%

Poured a thick full finger head into a brandy snifter with a dark brown smokey head. A very dark brown, but translucent at the very edges of the brandy snifter.

Dark Roasted malt aroma, smoke, coffee, some chocolate, and earthy malt scents

It seemed to be extremely smoked out at first, so much so that it almost has a salt tinge to it which I could not shake off. Looking at a review two below mine, that salt presence was also seen. I am not sure they put salt into the beer, but I assume that the extreme smokiness or something else is having an influence on the salt presence. Could also just be coffee playing with oatmeal?

Nice mouthfeel, plenty of body from the oatmeal and a light carbonation.

Very light beer after having a few heavier Imperial Stouts lately. Not quite my favorite type of stout, seems that the smoke may overcome any sweet flavors. A nice change of pace from the RIS's though...

3.98/5  rDev -3.2%

A: A 500 ml bottle poured into a snifter. The pour is a velvety black with an initially abundant mocha colored foam. The head leaves a bit of lacing.

S: A rather tame nose. Mild aromas of roasted malt, coffee, and chocolate.

T: The primary flavor is the roasted malt. The coffee is not quite as intense as I expected, but certainly present. A nice bitterness on the finish.

M: A smooth, creamy, full bodied feel on the tongue. The carbonation is fairly low, and helps to contribute to this silky feel.

D: The booze is not really present at all, which is good for an imperial stout, but not surprising since it's only 7.5%. Good flavors, if not a bit underwhelming.

A nice effort from Mikkeller, but not quite as good as I was expecting. I would enjoy this one again, however.

4.38/5  rDev +6.6%

Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast is an opaque black beer with a dark muscovado colored head that gets blotchy and has outstanding retention and lacing. It smells roasty, like coffee, ashy and almost... salty. It's full bodied and lively. It's smooth and the finish is slightly metallic. It tastes roasty and smokey, with a lot of coffee. I swear it tastes a little salty. It has a long, charred finish. This is a pretty serious beer.

4.45/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

First off received as extra in trade from SpdKilz. Huge thanks to Carleton, cheers!

Slightly aggressive pour produces massive head threatening to spill over top of the snifter. The head slowly recedes slowly leaving patchy lacing around the perimeter. Pitch black body, deep crimson hue gleams through only the thinnest edge when held directly in front of the lamp. Head now drawn back to only a brown sugar cap appears to be hanging out for the duration.

With coffee beans displayed on the label I am prepared to be overwhelmed by the java. This is not the case, though I cannot say I am disappointed. Rich roasted malt and dark chocolate are placed just in front of the coffee aroma. Slight lactic sweetness and subtle caramelized brown sugar whiffs protrude quietly.

There are plenty of dark rich flavors to go around here. The coffee characteristics are finally as bold as expected. Despite how strong the bean may be, it fails to over shadow a deep roasted malt and a decadent dark chocolate flavor. Citric hop presence can not be overwhelmed, provide a pleasant contrast to the deeper flavors. A sweet flavors seems to play off the citric notes providing another dimension to the already well layered brew.

Though I hate to say disappointing, the first area where BGB fails to live up to expectations is the mouthfeel. Full bodied and a creamy texture cannot make up for a lack of viscosity which I desire in an Imperial stout. This is the one facet which this beer could improve upon in order to elevate it to the top tier of Imperial stouts.

It is hard to say anything bad about this beer. My criticisms comes mostly from personal opinion. Remarkably easy to drink and highly enjoyable. While not being overly high in regards to ABV, the alcohol which it present is masked beautifully. Simply a great beer.

4.53/5  rDev +10.2%

Appearance: Absolute pitch black with a very dark head, to boot, that turns rather rocky and leaves a few swaths of lace

Smell: Incredibly rich aromatics of dark fudge and roasty coffee

Taste: Opens with a mouthful of dried dark fruit and coffee, with a complex blend of other flavors (citrusy hops, molasses and oatmeal) blending together through mid-palate; after the swallow, the hops make a go of it, though the chocolate re-asserts itself in the finish and the coffee does the same in the aftertaste

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body, rather creamy, with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: A fine example of the style, with a lot of complexity and well-hidden alcohol

3.48/5  rDev -15.3%

Sampled from a 12 ounce snifter.

Pours a dark black with a very significant, fluffy head...about three fingers. That was with a less than aggressive pour...this pour looks likes a nice shot of espresso. After sitting by for a bit, the head has settled down...resting at about a half finger.

Smell is very good...giving of hints of chocolate, molasses, bitter citrus, heavy cream, coffee, sage, and caramel.

The flavor here is good...bitter around the edges. Hints of baker's chocolate, espresso, and brown sugar. The chocolaty notes are very present on the back of the tongue and into the throat. Some smokey flavors in this one, too...though nothing too overpowering. There is some pungency here...and an almost peppery finish.

Overall, this is a good beer...though I feel it is lacking something in the body. It tastes good, but doesn't have a very full mouthfeel. The flavors are there, matched by the aroma and presentation, but the middle of this beer seems to be missing.

Beer Geek Breakfast from Mikkeller ApS