Beer Geek Breakfast - Mikkeller ApS

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

Oatmeal Stout |  7.50% ABV

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.

Ingredients : Water, malt (pils, oat, smoked, caramunich, brown, pale chocolate and chocolate), roasted barley, flaked oats, hops (centennial and cascade), ale yeast and gourmet coffee.

(Beer added by: Goldorak on 03-10-2006)
View: Beers (277) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
jakon

Oregon

4.13/5  rDev 0%

22oz bottle

This beer pours black with an average sized tan colored head comprised of both extremely tiny and larger sized bubbles.

The aroma brings tons of dark roasted coffee beans, a hint of cocoa, and baker's chocolate.

The initial taste brings black coffee first and foremost, with a bit of cocoa and baker's chocolate. That's the main flavor profile I'm getting. I'm reminded of blackstrap molasses, but I'm not sure if I'm tasting it or it's just the feeling this beer leaves on my tongue.

Overall, this ranks in the top 3 coffee stouts I've tried. I love that it packs such robust flavor without bringing too much heat. But really, I wouldn't consume more than one of these at a time anyway. There's a crapload of coffee in this.

07-24-2008 08:23:59 | More by jakon
ATLbeerDog

4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours a beautifully stunning dark brown almost black with a thick foamy ½ inch caramel colored head. Thick milk shake like lacing clings to the glass and hardly lets go. Smells of rich roasted coffee, chocolate, and malts dominate. First taste is surprisingly more chocolaty than the aroma indicated. The coffee flavor is lovingly mean and bitter. The beer is well carbonated and fairly light bodied. Very tasty. Beer and coffee lovers rejoice.

07-24-2008 00:01:00 | More by ATLbeerDog
CamuMahubah

Nebraska

4.75/5  rDev +15%

Exceptional Russian Imperial Stout! Pours like burnt 20w50 into the snifter. Frothy tan head...

Cacao without any sugar...

Smooth...none of that coffee acid bitterness...must be Colombian beans!...again the dark chocolate without sugar is noted...

Nice mouthfeel. Right in the middle of too thick and extremely too thick!

I like the subduedness...

07-22-2008 02:29:49 | More by CamuMahubah
LittleBreeze

4.05/5  rDev -1.9%

Aroma was a miss for me today. I suspect it may be because this beer followed Peche Mortel.

There is a nice coffee and chocolate flavor. Very smooth. For me, the mouthfeel is a bit thin. But overall, this is a very good beer. I've enjoyed it every time.

07-20-2008 23:23:24 | More by LittleBreeze
BeardedBoffin

New Mexico

3.98/5  rDev -3.6%

The beer pours a very dark chestnut brown to black color with a beautiful inch of brown foam. Chocolate, cocoa, coffee, and mocha all come to mind in the aroma. Slightly thick, smooth and velvety on the palate, probably from the oats. The palate is more dark chocolate than coffee, but both are there along with some very dark ripe fruit sweetness. A bit of bite from the roasted malt. Not much bitterness from hops, but it signs off smooth with a bit of alcohol.

Definitely a sipper, and a good one at that. It comes across more chocolaty than coffee-like to me, which is not what I was expecting given the coffee beans on the label. I love the texture from the oats and the way everything melds together.

07-18-2008 01:09:38 | More by BeardedBoffin
bbothen

3.85/5  rDev -6.8%

Pours pitch black. Big 2 finger latte colored fluffy head.

Coffee, chocolate, malted milk aromas.

Roasted coffee, toasted malt, bittersweet choc bitterness, smooth oats, dry coffee finish.

Full bodied & smooth with a med carbonation.

Drinkability is medium for me. Big coffee flavor would limit my intake to 1 bottle.

This was an enjoyable stout. Not overwhelmingly great to me. Others I enjoy more.

This was drank after dinner. I expect I'd enjoy it much more first thing in the morning. Next time.

07-15-2008 19:45:09 | More by bbothen
JoeyBeerBelly

4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

served in a mug.

L - dark brown with a fluffy tan head that left good lacing.

S - pleasant roasted malt & cocoa aroma.

T - rich, roasted flavor, bitter coffee and chocolate.

F - medium bodied and creamy smooth.

D - a good brew for breakfast or anytime.

07-13-2008 16:05:08 | More by JoeyBeerBelly
merlin48

Kentucky

3.88/5  rDev -6.1%

Bottle pours dark and inky, ebony as it sits in the glass. Khaki brown head has excellent retention and shows some garnet hues on the fringe. Lots of sticky lacing.

Aroma is not as bold as expected. Lots of bakers chocolate, espresso, cedar hops, and freshly ground Kona coffee beans.

Mouthfeel is rich and coating but not quite full bodied. Carbonation is a bit too aggressive in my opinion.

Taste is dry and roasty with a strong coffee dominance. The coffee is much more expressive in the taste than in the aroma. Bittersweet chocolate and dry cocoa powder chime in. Pine hops adds more bitterness to the dark roasty malt profile. Finishes dry and bitter with a coffee aftertaste. Alcohol isn't noticed.

Another solid offering from Mikkeller, but not quite in the same class as the better American coffee stouts such as those from Founders.

07-13-2008 14:34:09 | More by merlin48
bluemoonswoon

4.05/5  rDev -1.9%

One pint .9fl oz sexy slim and modern looking bottle.

A: Thick and black and pours mildly thick with a creamy half and an inch of coffee colored wooden head. Pretty nice looking legs on this beer as well.

S: Like most of the reviews for this beer the talk has been how dry it is and even in the nose the dryness can be detected. Seriously I almost sneezed thats how dry and dusty this thing smells. Slightly woody, quite herbaly phenolic medicinal hop character, mild fresh ground coffee but not really the main event here. It is nice to see a double stout that isn't head over heels in love with sugary chocolaty sweetness but instead relies more on the toasted malt and freeze dried coffee aspects. Don't get me wrong the chocolate and molasses is there but pleasantly subdued and makes for a wonderfully complex beer.

T/MF: Suuuper dry wow people are not kidding! Mouthfeel is about the strongest cup of coffee ever that bites down hard on your tongue and won't let go. It is pretty damn interesting to sip on and has an interesting smoked wood and slight cinnamon and herbal kick. This beer is sort of like a magic eye and the less you focus the more you can taste. Letting this sit in my mouth I can pick up sweeter flavors like cookies oatmeal and brown sugar and tobacco with mild dark fruit undertones.

D: Interesting and complex but this beer is just too dry and I feel if it were toned down just a bit more, maybe with age it would be out of this world because this is like no beer I've ever tried. A slow sipper if there ever was one but not because of alcohol heat of full bodiedness, this beer is as dry as the Sahara.

07-12-2008 06:09:34 | More by bluemoonswoon
jdubjacket

4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured a glass of this from one of the three bottle I picked up at Green's a few weeks ago. Pours a deep brown/black color. Very good looking head on top of it. Head is very sweet smelling. Taste is a little less balanced than I thought it would be. ALOT of coffee and pretty damn bitter to boot. A thick, creamy mouthfeel. A good coffee brew, but not the best I've ever had.

07-11-2008 03:05:22 | More by jdubjacket
tpd975

4.3/5  rDev +4.1%

Thanks to Gillard, this is one I had wanted to try for sometime. Thanks for coming thru.

A: Pours as black as any beer I have ever seen, light has no chance of penetrating this one. The head is dark mocha colored and exhibits great retention. Sheet after sheet of lace.

S: Wow this is a bold coffee stout no doubt about, though I would expect no less from Mikkeller. This one is high on the char. Bold over roasted espresso stand out. Hints of very bitter dark chocolate and a hint of vanilla.

T: Wow I like this one. This is the boldest coffee stout I have had. Many others are all about nice light coffee. This one is about the roast. Tons of dark black coffee that has been sitting on the burner all day. Touches of chocolate and booze as well. This is a sexy ass stout.

M: Full bodied yet easy drinking brew.

D: I heart this one!

07-10-2008 17:05:37 | More by tpd975
david131

3.95/5  rDev -4.4%

A- Black as they come with a great creamy brown head.

S- Some coffee and chocolate and smoke. Pretty roasty. I have had beers with much more coffee in them... Founders comes to mind.

T- Some coffee, cocoa, smoke, and a tad bit of hops. The hops are not bitter, just enough to add a bit of flavor. I have had better coffee beers, but this is damn tasty.

M- Very smooth and creamy. Perhaps a bit too much carbonation.

D- Pretty easy to drink. For once, the ABV is surprisingly low for a big tasting beer. A good beer, but most definitely not worth the price- pick up some Founders Breakfast Stout or Bell's Java Stout.

07-08-2008 03:19:56 | More by david131
corey0212

Connecticut

2.65/5  rDev -35.8%

Pours brownish-black, incredible huge, rocky and dense tan head that stays around for the duration, lots of lacing. Some malted milk chocolate aroma and espresso in the nose. Taste is disappointing...sour coffee taste, almost like drinking a day-old cup of coffee, bitter chocolate, it's a touch sour. Really active carbonation for the style, comes off more like a porter to me. I'm generally a big fan of stouts/porters that leave coffee aftertaste, but this one is just too much. For the money, this was a big letdown. Still interested in trying more from Mikkeller, but this one just isn't for me.

07-03-2008 00:00:33 | More by corey0212
Antilochus

Ontario (Canada)

4.2/5  rDev +1.7%

For breakfast. 2006 bottle. 66cl, 7.50%. Unlike the current incarnation this was not brewed in Norway - I suspect it is either Danish or Belgian-sourced. Purchased at Utobeer. Room temp into a stein. I'm a coffee lover so....

Seriously opaque. True black. Even to the (admittedly meagre) English sun. Nice espresso-y crema head, with GREAT retention. Carbonation on the bottle was fine, apparently.

WOW, complex nose. Hopped up coffee. Ale yeast. Sourdough bread. Lots of roast, even some organic earthy notes.

Syrupy mouthfeel, sweetish palate - which is surprising. Palate finishes with some serious coffee bitterness and a hint of hops. I wonder if the caffeine holds up 2 years in the bottle... astringent black-coffee like finish, where did the syrup go?

Get it.

06-29-2008 09:12:19 | More by Antilochus
cvstrickland

4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

500 ml bottle poured into a pint nonic glass yields a coal-tar colored body that refuses to let even direct sunlight pass through, crowned with a thick three fingers of fine-bubbled chocolate-speckled khaki Cool Whip-style cloud-shaped foam that leaves wonderfully thick interconnected rings of lacing on the glass.

Smell is malty, boozy coffee with sprucey herbal hops.

Taste is sharply bitter, smooth black espresso with just a touch of cream and sugar, like iced coffee with four extra shots of the oily brew. Alcohol is well hidden throughout the drink, but a solid note of bitter hops with just a tad of resinous green sticky flavor appears in the aftertaste as the drink warms, as does a savory note of caramel and dry, biscuity malt.

Fine carbonation helps prevent it all from being too much coffee goodness, keeping things light-medium bodied with a creamy feel. Outstanding drinkability for the beer-and-coffee geek with moderately deep pockets.

06-27-2008 15:06:48 | More by cvstrickland
feloniousmonk

4.18/5  rDev +1.2%

Beer Geek Breakfast

Darkness aplenty, with rich dark brown foam.

Rich, bittersweet, coffee aroma, silky smooth oat feel.

Big texture, thick and roasty. A bit intense. Complicated. Abundantly rich and flavorful. Gets smoother and easier as we go. Rough edges fall off.

Don't know if I'd put this at the top of my list of favorite coffee stouts, but it's an excellent entry in the category. Satisfying. Think I'll have another, even at $10 a bottle.

06-26-2008 04:20:38 | More by feloniousmonk
ohmybock

2.23/5  rDev -46%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

I just picked up a bottle of this one. To be honest, I was VERY psyched to find it! I had heard great things about it (and I love coffee brews), but (unfortunately) what I found was not good.

Even though I don't drink a lot of stouts/porters these days, I still enjoy some. With that being said, I usually enjoy a stout/porter which is fairly malty...or one which at least has a decent malty, balancing flavor. I especially like the ones which include coffee as well. The BGB was way too dry for my tastes. It had a long, lingering, dry/biting, charred finish which totally turned me off. There was some slight coffee in there, but it wasn't all that strong. Combine that with a very low level of malty sweetness, and you end up with this brew. I read that the current batch was brewed in a different location (Norway?) from the last batch (Belgium?) so I'm wondering if there's a difference between the two. I don't know, but whatever the case, I had to drain-pour this bottle. I just couldn't stomach it at all. It tasted very much like a mix of (what I assume would be) a dirty cigarette ashtray combined with a hint of espresso. Yuck! I wish I had spent my $9 on some more Peche Mortel which I picked up at the same time...now *that* was a stout I liked!

PS - I would suggest Bell's Java Stout, Central Water's Coffee Stout, and/or Great Divide's Oak aged Yeti with Espresso wholeheartedly over this brew...and yes...that Dieu du Ciel Peche Mortel too. Oh what the heck, let's go ahead and throw in Alesmith Speedway and Deschutes Abyss as well, even though they don't have strong coffee flavors. You know what? Why not throw something else in from my imperial stout loving friends...I liked it, but they LOVED it...and it's called Bell's Expedition Stout.

06-25-2008 22:36:11 | More by ohmybock
jojox

4.3/5  rDev +4.1%

A - Jet black. Super black.
Nice pour, good head, between smooth and rocky. Sticks around

S - Rich malt, sweet syrups, very slight hops. This is how I like it! Coffee is not very strong.

T - Oatmeal-y. Full and malt giving way to bitter hops and the finish is.... long. Got a lot of head in the first sip. Begins malty/sweet/oatmeal in the middle of the tongue, with bracing bitterness on the sides. Then the bitterness fills in the whole mouth and mixes all up. Very good.

F - full and rich, well carbonated, nice bitterness

In the end I started realizing some of the bitterness is coming from the coffee...

06-25-2008 12:21:23 | More by jojox
scruffwhor

3.78/5  rDev -8.5%

Pours a black with only very dark brown highlights when held to the light just right. Pours a pretty good, two finger light egg white froth with a tan twinge. The aroma is crawling with dry notes of oatmeal before you heat it up with fresh from the eak broken can coffee....morning blend. The taste starts bone dry with just plain dark roasted malts. The middle develops into amore coffe ground flavor and texture with some light milky oatmeal notes in the finish mixed with dry pine hops. The texture is a little sandy with lots of bitter, charred malts and some earthy hops. But a vey dry palate overall. Interesting combination of two beer styles.

06-25-2008 04:15:01 | More by scruffwhor
russpowell

Oklahoma

3.93/5  rDev -4.8%

Pours an effervescent mahogany with 3+ fingers of brown head. Great lacing & head retention

S: Coffee & cocoa

T: Coffee by the pot full, charred grain & bitter chocolate up front. Coffee grounds, charred grains, & a whisper of vanilla, plus dryness as this warms. Finishes with burnt grains & coffee grounds, plus a kiss of booze

MF: Light/medium bodied, oily with some creamyness & stickyness

Drinks alright, just too close to cold coffee for me to stick with this past a bottle. Better than most coffee beers I've had, but needs more richness

06-24-2008 04:45:44 | More by russpowell
ckeegan04

A - Almost black with a think brown head. Excellent retention and light lacing. Awesome looking beer.

S - Strong aroma of roasted coffee with hints of chocolate as well. Strong roasted malt aroma.

T - Incredibly strong taste of roasted coffee. A light sweetness provides some balance, but coffee is the star of this beer.

M/D - Full bodied with a nice crisp edge to it. A little strong on the taste to be highly drinkable, but a very sippable brew.

06-21-2008 03:17:50 | More by ckeegan04
Wetpaperbag

Washington

4.2/5  rDev +1.7%

Beer Geek Breakfast...for breakfast, just like the name says.

A- The pour was great, nice foamy three finger width tan head. when the head started to vanish it left lacing that graced the sides of the glass.

S- Roasted/burnt malt smell. The coffee smell wasn't super over powering but more like a nice chocolate mocha smell with a touch of vanilla.

T- The taste is very malty and that of strong black coffee which is very overpowering. Its a good thing its morning and I haven't had my cup of joe because this has made for a great replacement.

M- The bitterness does dry out the mouth just a touch, but that does keep you wanting to drink more.

D- This is great for a morning brew.

06-20-2008 15:59:51 | More by Wetpaperbag
oberon

3.6/5  rDev -12.8%

I have passed this beer up a few times in the past,I finally broke down and bought it yesterday.Poured into an imperial pint glass an opaque black I mean no light showing thru this bad boy,a large fluffy dark colored head atop.Smells just like a espresso roast coffee just heavy roasted malt there is a hint of bitter chocolate as well but its somewhat hidden under the intense roast.A sharp almost fizzy mouthfeel was unexpected and not wanted and it hindered the richness of the beer,flavors are intense coffee with notes of black pepper and earth as well,its very dry not much sweetness just a touch of unsweetened chocolate.This seemed a bit raw and I didnt like the mouthfeel much,maybe a little overrated?

06-19-2008 13:06:08 | More by oberon
NCSUdo

2.75/5  rDev -33.4%

16.9 oz bottle

A: Dark black under a big dark brown head. Good lace and retention, great looking stout.

S: Smells of sweet chocolate and some coffee. Slight rubbery twang that I have become accustomed to in Mikkeller.

T: Bad. Maybe some coffee, a bit of sweetness and chocolate. But there is some pepper thrown in, bitterness is way off balance and that rubbery twang pops it's head up again (much like my experience with Black Hole).

M/D: Slick, creamy, decent mouthfeel. Not very drinkable for me, a drain pour if not for the amount spent on the bottle. I don't know if it's truly the beer or if I am just having bad luck with Mikkeller. Seems that nearly everything I pick up from them is a big dud.

06-15-2008 00:40:50 | More by NCSUdo
Ch1mpy

Sweden

4.47/5  rDev +8.2%

Black with a thick brown head. The beer geek breakfast leaves a lot of lacing.

Smell of coffee, coffee and some more coffee. But not only that, there is also a lot of oatmeal, roasted malts and also hops. Interestingly the smell isn't bitter but rather has a pretty acidic side to it.

The taste is however a spicy bitter, with dark strong coffee flavours and oatmeal.

I initially noted that the mouthfeel was rough but after the first few zips you realize that it really has a smooth, dry and above all balanced mouthfeel.

As for drinkability, I am not a person, famous for my ability to down strong stouts in a few minutes. However, I am really making good progress with this one. Thank you Denmark!

06-14-2008 18:14:17 | More by Ch1mpy