Beer Geek Breakfast - Mikkeller ApS

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

Oatmeal Stout |  7.50% ABV

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.

Ingredients : Water, malt (pils, oat, smoked, caramunich, brown, pale chocolate and chocolate), roasted barley, flaked oats, hops (centennial and cascade), ale yeast and gourmet coffee.

(Beer added by: Goldorak on 03-10-2006)
3.68/5  rDev -10.7%

Motor oil black with a three to four finger mocha head, tons of lacing and small bubble carbonation look very promising. Ditto with the smell - a nice latte, malted milk chocolate smell with sweetness and nicely understated espresso aroma. The taste is comprised of a roast coffee first impression that is quite nice but then it takes a turn for the worst with a harsh middle and an astringent, too dry, cloying finish and aftertaste that seem strangely out of place. The mouthfeel is like a burnt coffee drunk cold, coarse and abrupt, but with a sand-like quality, gritty and not very pleasant. Too bad about that, it started out quite well and kind of went downhill after that. This is like a Jekyll and Hyde stout that shows much promise to begin with and then takes on a different personality. Well worth trying but it could be much better was my impression.

3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

smell was of coffee, a little bit of cocoa

taste was a nice dose of roasted malts with coffee being the dominant flavor. also a hint of bakers chocolate, and a surprising hop flavor that coincided with the coffee bitterness to create an interesting one two punch in my mouth. both enhanced the bitterness and flavor of the other with the coffee flavor holding the decided edge.

the punch was not softened by a lush mouthfeel, but was clearly felt due to the silky mouthfeel. this wasnt a "chewy" stout.

drinkabiility is pretty good for a stout. at 7.5 % you can still have other beers or carry on other activities without feeling woozy. also the mouthfeel helps it go down easier than other stouts. i had a full bomber by myself, and it wasn't a problem finishing it if you proceed at a leisurely pace.

4.33/5  rDev +5.1%

Nose: A traditional stout smell hits you right away, but as you go deeper into the glass you really begin to notice the intense aroma of (duh!) coffee beans. I seriously love the smell of dark-roasted bitter coffee and there is all kinds of it going on in this glass. After another move toward to the glass I get a nice touch of molasses and a very faint smell of roasted almonds. There is not a whole lot of chocolate in this one for me, which I suppose is just fine.

Appearance: This is the color you'd expect for a stout - black. I poured rather softly and still got about two or three fingers of nice warm light brown head. A short but brisk swirl of the glass will bring back a nice little head to enjoy with the next sip.

Taste: Yep, this is really full of coffee flavors that immediately hit my tongue. Once down, it leaves behind the slightest bit of tartness, and I certainly do not taste the 7.5% ABV. So I guess all I need now is some waffles and bacon to wash this down.

Palate: Although this is an extremely flavorful stout, I really don't feel like it's too heavy on the palate. The thickness is moderate. For as much intensity as it brings, it does a really nice job of moving along down your throat.

Overall: Beer Geek Breakfast is without a doubt the most appropriate name for this beer. If you are any sort of a stout and/or strong coffee lover, you will not be let down by this brew. One thing I can assure you of is that the next time I open one of these beers, it's going to be breakfast for dinner at my house.

3.65/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Served into a snifter. Beer pours pitch black and opaque with a reverse-cascading 1+ finger head of tobacco-colored foam. Head shows great retention and slowly recedes to a rocky cap with lots of fine lacing and ample cling.

S: Wow. Loads of coffee and chocolate at play here. There's a nice roasty quality that pervades the nose as well, underlying all the different scents. Overall impression is of a slightly burnt café mocha with a tiny alcohol twinge. Rich and satisfyingly inviting without being overly complex.

T/M: The first thing that strikes me is the dry, gritty mouthfeel, almost like drinking a sandy solution of some sort. I'm not getting much of the rich, roasty malt and chocoloate flavors that I detected in the nose, but there is a distinct bitterness that lingers heavy on the palate after each sip. This combination tends to overpower the rest of the flavors, but I can get past the gritty bitterness to a heavily roasted, almost burnt espresso and a nice dark chocolate note that peeks out ever so slightly as the beer approaches room temperature.

The coffee has certainly not faded in this beer, however, as it's without a doubt the most dominant flavor. There's not much malt to speak of, and only the faintest hint of dry cocoa to attempt to balance out the tongue-bashing bitterness.

D/O: After the pour and smell, I had great hopes that this beer would follow through where it counted, but I was let down a bit by the overwhelming bitterness and intense espresso flavor. Without much of the traditional rich stout flavors to balance it out, this was a bit one-dimensional for my tastes, though I was surprised by the intensity of the coffee after about 10 months in the cellar. The mealy, grainy mouthfeel negatively impacted drinkability for me. Really a tough beer to pair food with, as it's likely to overpower whatever you drink it with.

3.93/5  rDev -4.6%

It's like looking at the tar sands themselves, the beer isn't just black it appears sooty and full of ashes. There's not even a remote chance of any light being capable of breaking through even if held directly up against the source; this has to be as deep and dark as a beer can be. A webbed sheeting of intricately woven bubbles sits like a boulder, roughly one thick finger above the surface and anchors riveted rings of lacing as it drops. It looks marvelous.

I'm not sure how the Danes take their coffee but to me this smells more Italian than anything. It is a heavy roast, essentially burnt, espresso style blend of oily, bitter beans. Again, I've never been to Denmark but I know that's certainly how they like their breakfast (and dessert) cafes in Italy. Now that I've already touched on international influences, how about this 'in-your-face' American style hopping? Wowza, is this ever hoppy!

The dark, roasted coffee character and the lively green, spicy hop quality stare eye to eye - but they get along. I can't tell you why this is but I've come to notice that coffee flavoured beers (whether from an actual addition of coffee or not) and zesty American hops seem to compliment each other very nicely. I've noticed it more in regards to American Porters, however, the same thing is exemplified in this stout. Cascades and coffee, go figure!

The further I make my way down the glass and the warmer that glass is getting, the more my one complaint about the beer seems to be amplifying: it tastes too much just like coffee. The palate is swarmed and sweltered from the heavy, dark, bitter roast of the coffee beans. Apart from some tobacco like smoke and a minimal level of malt, I don't taste much of anything beyond coffee. It's good but it's too astringent and one-dimensional for my tastes.

Somehow I don't think this was what Jim Morrison had in mind when he sang "woke up this morning and I got myself a beer" but it very well might have been had he lived to see the growth and ingenuity of Denmark's micro breweries. I wouldn't say you have to be a coffee drinker to enjoy the Beer Geek Breakfast but I'm certain it would help some. I, myself, am not and I find the beer a little one-dimensional for my palate. That being said, breakfast is the most important meal of the day and I'm not one to skip it!

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

A - Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Pours black with a gigantic brown head that slowly dissipates.

S - Bittersweet, slightly sour coffee.

T - Bitter, sour, coffee, bittersweet chocolate, cocoa powder, subdued hops and malt, earthy oatmeal in there too.

M - Medium bodied, not quite as thick as some imperial stouts, mild carbonation.

Notes - The tastiness of this beer makes up for the meaty, grainy abomination that was Its Alright!, so me and Mikkeller are cool like that now.

4.53/5  rDev +10%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a black color and a thick consistency. There was a huge, tan-colored, long-lasting head and excellent lacing.

S: A nicely underplayed aroma of chocolate, coffee and malt - possibly a little hops.

T: Well-balanced and flavorful. Milk chocolate, coffee, roasted malt and a bit of hops. Never overpowering, but certainly tasty.

M: A high level of carbonation and dry, smooth finish. Full-bodied.

D: This is a highly enjoyable, extremely drinkable stout.

4.3/5  rDev +4.4%

Pours viscous opaque black with a slightly fizzy dark brown head.

Nose is espresso, a very light acidity, dark cocoa.

Taste is very dark roasty espresso, hints of baker's chocolate, with a balancing lightly hoppy acidity on the finish.

Smooth, carbonation is medium high, silky and creamy.

4.53/5  rDev +10%

A - Poured out an opaque, jet black color with a thick, foamy, caramel colored head. It left sticky rings of lace.

S - I could smelled the strong coffee notes as I poured the beer into the glass. There was also a nice caramel nose mixed with fruity and floral aromas.

T - It tasted of coffee, oatmeal, chocolate and sweet caramel. It had just the right amount of bitterness for a coffee stout.

M - It was fairly soft and smooth. A medium-bodied beer.

D - This was a surprisingly easy-drinking brew. I expected it to be more potent. It was very taste and worth trying.

4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

500 mL bottle tried 9 Jan 2009.

Poured in 0.4 L Steiner Pils snifter. Upon opening a growing head forms even in the bottle. Poured quickly and formed a large long lasting two inch high dark brown head. Color is pirch black, opaque. Aroma is of sweet pipe tobacco, licorice, burnt sugar and ashtrays (but in a good way). Lots of roasty malt and black coffee flavor. Also licorice, toffee and smokiness. Semisweet chocolate in the finish and aftertaste. Ethanol reminiscent of Vicks 44. Medium body seemed a little on the light side.

I would definitely drink this again but I probably would not buy it again at this price ($10/500 mL).

4.18/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured this into a sifter and it offered up a black brew with a huge, dense brown head that dissipates slowly leaving behind sticky, spotty lacing.

The smell is of toasted malts and oats with alcohol and coffee tones.

The taste, I thought was great. Rich toasted malts, coffee, noticeable alcohol (did I mention coffee?) and a medium bitterness.

The mouthfeel was thick and full with ample carbonation.

Actually a bit less chewy than I had expected but awesome none the less.

4.43/5  rDev +7.5%

Had this at Chauncy Smith's in London, I got their last bottle - It wasen't until the bill came that I found out it was $15.... oh well you can't take it with ya!

A: True to style, a black beer with a lovely tobacco colored head with average retention. VERY thick.

S: COFFEE... I've never had a beer with so much coffee!

T: Coffee begining to end, but also chocolate notes and a really nice hop backbone.

M: THICK and chewy, but not sweet and sticky. this was very nice, although it really overpowered my lamb dinner... what on earth would you pair this with though?

D: This catagory is theoretical since I cant AFFORD to drink more than one in an evening, but would I/could I?.... hell yeah. I love the "low" alcohol but full flavor. This is my first Mikkeller brew and will not be my last.

EDIT: I think it bears noting that this was a feb. 07 bottle... so a couple/few years on 'er. and there was some serious chunky-ness left in the glass and the bottle after id finished.

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

A: Huge, dense cocoa colored head. Black as night. Tons of lace all the way to the bottom.

S: Coffee, coffee, coffee. Plenty of malt with a touch of caramel.

T: Huge coffee, with burnt caramel and malt. Bittersweet chocolate.

M: Creamy, plenty of carbonation, finishes smooth.

D: Outstanding! No problem pouring a pair of these tasty treats.

4.43/5  rDev +7.5%

I've had several bottles of this and always ended up trading them away, finally I will drink and review this elusive brew.

Pours a solid black with a huge tan head that takes forever to dissipate. Lots of carbonation at work here. Smells of chocolate and oatmeal and coffee. What would breakfast be without those right? A little milk chocolate and licorice in there as well. Taste is coffee and chocolate. Slight ash, a bit of alcohol with a lingering roast bitterness in the finish. Body is solid, mouthfeel is creamy smooth. Wow that's a great stout, maybe I shouldn't have traded so many of these away. This one's not to heavy on the coffee like a lot of breakfast stouts want to do these days. If it were a little less expensive I'd drink more of these.

3.88/5  rDev -5.8%

1pint 9oz bottle. no date found. poured into tulip.

opaque black, but slightly translucent brown under the light. despite being an ordinary bottle, i get a wonderful nitro-like cascading bubble effect as the beer settles in the glass. brown head is large and slowly fades to a thin layer. decent lacing.

aroma has roasted stout malts and hint of stout acidity. coffee is a bit faint. whiff of alcohol. some fruitiness as it warms.

in the flavor, sweeter caramel and roasted malts wake up as it warms too. coffee is again a bit subdued, but matches with the hop bitterness into a tart character near the finish. this bitterness is moderately aggressive and lingers in the the aftertaste with coffee tones.

medium body. starts with thin syrup quality, then the moderate carbonation gets a bit on the prickly side and somewhat over-accentuates the bitterness and astringency in the finish. otherwise, there was some fluffy creaminess to it.

it's ok, but really not worth the price.

4.05/5  rDev -1.7%

16.9oz bottle

A- This one is a beauty. I poured the bottle into a large tulip glass. It pours a dark black color with a huge tan colored head that seems like it would stick around for days, great retention as well.

S- The aroma is fabulous! The smell is big and bold with a lot of dark roasted malts and a lot of coffee as well. As the beer warms up, a little more alcohol sticks out in the nose.

T- The taste like the aroma is very roasty and maybe even slightly burnt malts with a lot of chocolate and a bitter roasty finish.

M- The mouthfeel is a little thinner than expected, but the texture is really good with a good amount of carbonation as well.

D- Another solid beer from Mikkeller.

3.63/5  rDev -11.9%

Pours a deep dark jet black with a coffee colored head. Small tight bubbles make up the fluffy head.

Smells of bitter coffee, dark chocolate and brown sugar.

Taste is bitter and slightly drying but the coffee flavor is balanced with the maltiness of this brew.

Not a bad coffee stout but not the best I've had. One thing that is nice is that its a "manageable" 7.5% and not something too over the top...like the Black Stout they brew which is waaay too intense.

4.03/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours jet black with a tan creamy head that lingers and leaves lots of lacing.

Smells of coffee, dark chocolate, toasted bread.

Tastes of coffee, chocolate, sour fruit, apples, then the bitter hops kick in. It is well-balanced with no stray flavors.

It has a very pleasant creamy and rich mouthfeel.

A drinkable beer, in the Imperial Stout style, and does not overdo the alcohol. However, towards the end, the bitter aftertaste does get to me. It is a metallic/peppery aftertaste that is a bit cloying.

3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours black, opaque, with a huge thick light brown head that seems to last forever.

Aroma has moderate to strong coffee, with milder notes of dark chocolate and dark fruits. Citrus hops sneak through as well.

Flavor is distinctive coffee, with dark chocolate and some dark fruit. Finishes with a mix of grapefruit rind hop and dark roasted bitterness. Moderate bitterness overall, that lingers into the aftertaste.

Medium body, moderate carbonation. Seems pretty well balanced between malts & grains, no one flavor seems to overpower the others. Carbonation has a bit more bite than most Imperial Stouts I've had. Slightly chewy, but I don't find this to be all that rich and I wouldn't describe this as particularly creamy, or velvety. I think my only real complaint, though, is that head was somewhat excessive. Overall, a good beer and one I would be willing to try again.

3.98/5  rDev -3.4%

Poured Completely opaque into a pint glass.
Deep tan head and thick head retention.

Smell is suprisingly not very complex, Deep roasted malt but no coffee to speak of. I get a fair bit of hops.

Taste is so smooth and rich with coffee, Dark roasted malt is the support for coffee to take center stage. Very good but I still have to say it's not the best coffee stout I've ever had.

Mouth is thick and viscous, oily and rich. Drinks easy and leaves you with a "I must have more" feeling. Great Job Mikkeller.

4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured froma bottle into a pint glass

A-Deep dark black coffee appearance low about 1/2 finger head no real laceing down the glass but looks damn good

S-Hard to pull alot from this little malt and some hops but no real coffee hints at all alchol notes are very noticeable

T&M-Deep rich bitter coffee and esspresso flavor extremly roasted flavor nice bitter finish extemly complex and smooth goes down nice a bitter like black coffee.

D-Easy to drink but something I would like to keep around for when the need hits.

4.05/5  rDev -1.7%

22 oz. bomber bottle with a simple brown coffee ground label that has a small vertical slide of coffee beans. Slightly over the picture is the work "Mikkeller" in small black letters on top of a white background. To the far left of the label is the US Government warning and to the far right is the refund values, barcode, US importer, the brewery's address, a description of the beer, and 2 pictures of the original 2 owners. If you want to put vintage pictures of the owners on the label, please make sure they're not mug shots. What would have been nice for Mikkeller to do is stamp this bottle with a best before date or a vintage year.

Appearance: I had to pour this Breakfast Stout into my Maudite Snifter. I knew this beer was going to be thick, but I didn't think it was going to be this thick. I thinking about using the term "thick as oil," but that would be an understatement. Slowly emerging from the bottle like molasses was a beer that combined the blackness of oil and the blackness of a thick black roasted coffee. If you mix the two together, you'll come close to the solid blackness that this beer contained. Sitting on top of this thick black brew was a good 1 inch mocha colored head of foam. This mocha head of foam had pretty good retention that left behind a big string of foamy tan rings and about 4 spots of lace around the glass. The head of foam was nice, but the color of the beer was better. If you want to know how black this beer is without buying it, put on a blind fold.

Smell: The aroma was just as black and as thick as the beer's solid black appearance. The aroma was heavy with dark roasted coffee beans, but not any roasted coffee beans, but freshly ground dark roasted coffee beans. I use to ground whole coffee beans and this beer smelled exactly like those ground coffee beans. Following the ground coffee beans was a hint of bitter dark chocolate, dark roasted malts, a dark fruit or two, a quick splash of black pepper, a pinch of roasted oats, and then this thick coffee aroma finishes up with a subtle whiff of roasted hops. I never smelled freshly ground coffee beans in a beer before. They were always just roasted coffee beans. I sure hope you like the scent of coffee! I know I do!

Taste: Like the appearance and the smell, the taste was also thick, dark, and heavily roasted. The beer had the scent of freshly ground coffee beans, but it didn't taste like it. The coffee beans in the taste were dry and roasted and not grounded to a fine coffee powder. The taste was thick and heavy with a ton of dry roasted coffee beans, a pinch of roasted oats, some dark roasted malts, a hint of bitter dark chocolate, a subtle splash of sweet caramel, and then this coffee based beer ends with a slight roasted hop bitterness. As you can tell by my words, the roasted coffee beans ruled over this taste with an iron fist. It wasn't the most well balanced Breakfast Stout, but it was a really good one. If you want to know what this beer tastes like without spending the big bucks, put a hand full of coffee beans in your mouth and start chewing.

Mouthfeel: This was clearly a full bodied dark roasted chewy Breakfast Stout. This full bodied beer featured a roasted and chewy aftertaste of dark roasted coffee beans, dark roasted malts, bitter dark chocolate, a pinch of roasted oats, and a quick splash of bitter roasted hops. This dark roasted aftertaste will linger on the surface of your tongue for a long time. If you want to get rid of it, you'll have to take a big gulp of cold water. I still can't figure out how this beer is only 7.5% ABV. It feels like it should be more than that.

Drinkability: This beer looks like coffee, smells like coffee, tastes like coffee, but guess what brother, it isn't coffee! It's another one of those beers where the only thing that truly hurts it is the hefty sticker price. There's no doubt about, it's expensive as hell! Do you get your money's worth? I'm just going to say that there are slightly better and cheaper Coffee Stout alternatives out there. If you got money burning a hole in your pocket, then go ahead and give this beer a shot.

3.08/5  rDev -25.2%

Pours black with a nice thick brown head. It stays around in fluffy clouds, and you get a decent bit of lacing. The smell seems a bit lacking. There's not a strong coffee aroma, actually hardly any at all on my end, at least compared to the others I've tried. There is kind of a fruity smell, kind of like floral hops or even a tiny bit of ester. The sweet oatmeal comes through in the taste. There's also a coffee and dark malt bitterness. I can even taste a bit f hoppiness, like a faint taste of grass clippings. It's actually a very complex and nice tasting beer. Though I think a bit more deep, malty sweetness with the slight floral taste dialed down could make it better. The mouthfeel is wonderful. Firstly, there's so much to seek out. But it's not astringent at all,well balanced, no alcohol harshness. The only thing that gets me is a little bit of slickness. This one gets to me quickly. It's not too tough to drink, though I don't think it's easy, but I wouldn't dare to reach for a second. One whole 500mL bottle might push it a bit.

4.47/5  rDev +8.5%

16.9 oz bottle

Pours a motor oil black color with some reddish/brown highlights when held to the light, a large brown head rests a top the brew. The nose has one of the most outright aromas of coffee beans ive ever smelled in a beer before, malty goodness all around. Beer Geek Breakfast booms with flavor right from the get go, notes of burnt chocolate, semi sweet dark malt and a bitter coffee bean finish, roasty but smooth as all hell. The beer lays on the lighter side of full bodied with some of the best drinkability i've found in a stout. Winner. 'Nuff said.

3.93/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured an oily black with a very dark tan head that was easily riled and showed good retention (both in the snifter and in the bottle). Settled to a nice, thick ring with a whispy, oil-slick cap. Good lacing. It has an imperial appearance, certainly.

Whew. This here beer has a diesel nose. Chocolate and dark fruits, prunes and raisins. Creamy sweet as well as bitter aromas. Whiffs of coffee, too.

Initially the taste imparts roasted characteristics, grainy, with oats, too. Lots of bittering comes in, grassy. Coffee washes through, leaving behind cocoa powder on the palate. Bitter and dry aftertaste.

Lighter in body than I figured. There is a certain slight resiny quality to the feel at the end. Distinctly prickly carbonation imparts a crispness, becoming creamier as time passes and the beer warms.

Maybe just a touch too much hoppiness for my taste, but very good.

Beer Geek Breakfast from Mikkeller ApS