Beer Geek Breakfast - Mikkeller ApS

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

Oatmeal Stout |  7.50% ABV

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.

Ingredients : Water, malt (pils, oat, smoked, caramunich, brown, pale chocolate and chocolate), roasted barley, flaked oats, hops (centennial and cascade), ale yeast and gourmet coffee.

(Beer added by: Goldorak on 03-10-2006)
4.72/5  rDev +14.6%

Just got this today in a trade from NCSUdo and couldn't wait to drink it. Fortunately, I got 2 bottles in the trade! Having sat on the porch all afternoon, it was perfectly chilled.

A: Pours as black as a dead night sky, with no stars, no moon, and no hope. A frothy two finger head lingers before forming a thin layer over the top. Lacing remains consistent around the glass.

S: Coffee strikes quickly, lingering in the nose, making you think you just walked into your nearby Dunkin Donuts. This is followed by hints of dark chocolate and caramel. I think there's more to this than I'm capable of picking out.

T: I could drink this beer for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It's astoundingly good. Just fantastic. By far one of the best stouts I've ever had the pleasure of drinking. Coffee, chocolate, oatmeal, caramel all blend together effortlessly and deliciously. A hint of alcohol provides warmth for a cold, dark winter night.

M: Smooth and viscous. Drinks like a fine stout should drink. Good carbonation - not a lot, but just enough.

D: I could drink these everyday if I could get them around here. This is an outstandingly tasty and drinkable stout. Fantastic.

YonderWanderer, Nov 08, 2007
4.55/5  rDev +10.4%

Glossy sable with no hint of lightening at the edges. This thing is some kind of light sucker. The dense, sponge-like crown is an appealing shade of pecan brown and looks like it'll be around until the final ounce. A surprisingly delicate band of lace appears as the foam finally starts to melt, adding yet more weight to my decision to go with the above score.

The nose is roasted malt heaven. It's so incredibly wide and deep and rich that I want to go on smelling it forever. But I won't because I'm dying to take a huge gulp. Let's see... bittersweet chocolate, darkest caramel, coffee and a wee whiff of vanilla bean. Of all the coffee-added stouts that I've had lately, this one is the least coffee-like. At least when it comes to the aroma.

Believe the hype. Beer Geek Breakfast is amazing beer if you love big stouts that explode with multi-faceted flavor. And who doesn't? First off, I'm glad that the brewers decided to throttle back on the ABV. Quite a few of the best versions do a great job of alcohol masking (it isn't that hard with so many strong flavors in play), but why risk it?

Black coffee-infused dark chocolate fudge is still numero uno on the flavor profile hit parade. Blackstrap molasses lends a hand, as does a hint of black licorice and a puff of smoke. Like I said, this thing is as faceted as the cut crystal goblet that it deserves to be served in. Doesn't matter, though, because I'd drink it out of a paper cup or an old shoe if need be.

Again, coffee is simply one of the guys rather than the big boss, as it is in many breakfast stouts. An early bittersweetness segues into a finishing bitterness that has the distinctive citric tang of American C-hops. The more I drink, and the more the beer warms, the more is revealed.

I've been riding the fence on the body/mouthfeel. My first thought was that is isn't quite full enough... until I remembered the ABV. The second half of the bomber has come together nicely and is becoming silky smooth. Yeah, like I needed another reason to drink this stuff way too fast. In the end, however, it falls a half point short of spectacular and a full point short of perfection.

At roughly double the price of Stone Imperial Russian Stout, I can't justify drinking Beer Geek Breakfast very often (even if I could easily acquire it). It's amazingily delicious beer, though, and deserves every one of the accolades thrown its way. With Nogne in Norway and Mikkeller in Denmark, the Scandanavians are putting the world on notice that they're more than ready to compete in the big leagues when it comes to craft beer.

BuckeyeNation, Nov 07, 2007
4.08/5  rDev -1%

Thick, dark, black, imposing with dark tan rocky head. Looks delicious. The head dissipates relatively quickly leaving spidery to continous lace. The aroma is strong coffee with roasted to burnt malt and a little smoke. The initial flavor is moderately bitter malt that has the coffee but not as much as you expect from the smell. The coffee flavor increases in a smooth transition to a burnt malt/coffee/bitter hops aftertaste. It is very full bodied and smooth with thick creamy texture, lively carbonation, and slightly metallic finish. Overall, it is a tasty stout that is surprisingly well balanced considering the strong coffee aroma. The taste is pretty strong coffee and ot overly complex otherwise. I would probably buy this again, but it is not something I would drink very often.

walshclimb, Nov 07, 2007
4.55/5  rDev +10.4%

22 ounce bomber purchased from Liquid Solutions in Oregon for a very expensive twelve dollars

Sipped on this for two hours while watching the double feature of Prison Break tonight

Poured into my Dogfish Head snifter with one of the blackest colors I have ever seen, almost comparable to the Dark Lord I drank a few days ago, 3/4 inch tan head head stuck around for fifteen minutes, left lacing for the first hour while I was drinking it

Smell was loads of coffee, particularly espresso, some cocoa but not much compared to the coffee, very strong aroma almost like a Red Eye at Starbucks, smell seemed like there was also a lot more hops than their were in it, even as it warmed could not taste hoppy flavor, just lots of malt and espresso

Taste was amazing, I did not know how to really base it off of anything since it is my first breakfast stout, will have now when I review the two different Founders I have in my cellar, coffee falvor dominated this, really dry with a potent aftertaste, could taste ground espresso beans on the tongue for a minute after each sip, got more sugary as it warmed and tasted better and better as it got sweeter, i love stouts and this was one of the best I have ever had, too bad it is from Denmark and ridiculously expensive

Could drink a lot of these even though it is heavy stuff and I took my time drinking it tonight, not too bad on the alcohol content at around seven and a half percent, definitely a sipper but one that you do not get stuck and you find yourself coming back for more every few minutes, says its base was an oatmeal stout but it was overpowered completely by coffee if it was

This was my first beer from Mikkeller and it was fantastic, got their Stateside IPA coming in the mail and I look forward to trying that too, highly recommended and hopefully breakfast stouts are not a letdown in the future just because this was so good and I might have drank the best one first, I can not say I can see myself drinking this kind of beer in the morning but it is a great dessert beer, grab one of these if youy ever happen to find it

Floydster, Nov 06, 2007
3.83/5  rDev -7%

i have been sitting on this beer for a month or more now, waiting for the weather to cool off more... okay, it is november 5th and it was 94 degrees today... i guess there is no hope of it cooling off and i did not want to wait any longer so i cracked it.

It poured into my glass black as night, thick and sort of oily looking with a dark chocolate head, only about 1/2 inch (maybe too cold). it settled quickly into a thin layer and is lacing the glass nice as i drink it.

has a pretty strong alcohol smell, and the coffee smell is even stronger than that. slight hints of malt are there, but mostly coffee.. but it is breakfast afterall!

alcohol and expresso.. not sure which is stronger at first taste. there are also hints of chocolate and some dark roasted, almost burnt tasting malts as well. can't say as i can pick out much of a hop profile, maybe just a slight bit at the finish, and when i burp i can taste the hops too, so i know they are there somewhere.

it has a smooth, oily feel that coats the mouth and leaves a slight hop finish on the back of the tongue after swallowing. the oatmeal helps smooth out the oily feeling.

I wish they would make these brews like this in 12 ounce bottles as i really do think 12 ounces at a time would be sufficient. heaven knows i won't let it go to waste so i will finish the bottle, but the alcohol flavor is almost too intense.. could not have it for breakfast and then try to go to work and try to pass off on the boss it was only your morning coffee!

I am glad i have many more of these, I think aging for about 6 more months will help mellow out the alcohol and balance the flavors a bit more. overall a good beer, one worthy of another try in a few months.

tayner, Nov 06, 2007
4.65/5  rDev +12.9%

This fine Stout pours a glossy near-black color with a thick and rocky light brown head that has good retention. Nice big patches of lacing on the glass. Big roasty aroma of coffee, oats, and chocolate malt. Rich, smooth body with a character somewhere between an Oatmeal Stout and an Imperial Stout. Flavors of roasted malt, chocolate, coffee and hops are all present. All in all the beer manages the smooth texture and flavor of an Oatmeal Stout while toying with the robust body of an Imperial. The finish is moderately bitter coffee and hops balanced but malt and chocolate. Overall this is an excellent Stout.

Dogbrick, Nov 02, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +6.3%

Thank you Vintage, Boardman, Ohio for the chance to enjoy this terrific breakfast stout...

A--Typical for the style, deep black. Head and lacing not as apparent as some others, but still nice.

S--Smells of barley, chocolate, and coffee.

T--Really tasty beer. The coffee really comes through.

M--nice silky mouthfeel.

D--If you dig this style, find it. This is a terrific beer.

garbercury, Oct 28, 2007
4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours jet black with some mahogany accents around the edges, with a three-finger, pillowy light tan head that fades slowly. Left some pretty decent lacing near the top of the glass.

Smells like dark roasted coffee/espresso and dark roasted malts(caramel, maybe?) There's a hint of burnt/spent coffee beans, oatmeal and dark chocolate. There's a little bit of smoke lingering in there as well.

Yup, it tastes like coffee and oatmeal, perfect for breakfast! Very strong coffee flavors up front, a little bitter at first. That is followed by some roasted malts and a bittersweet chocolate combo in the middle. Sorta reminds me of s'mores around a campfire. There's something sweet, almost fruity, that I can't quite place. Excellent stout overall.

Mouthfeel is full-bodied and creamy. It coats the mouth nicely, and the moderate carbonation keeps it smooth.

Although I could probably drink more, I think I would prefer to have just one and really enjoy it for dessert. If only I could afford to have one every night!

MrMonkey, Oct 26, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

This has been sitting in my cellar for several months, until I re-discovered it today. Quick 50 minutes in the fridge and now it stands before me. Pitch black color with a chocolate milk-colored head, a little bit of red highlights when the glass is swirled. Oh, and nice lacing.

The aroma is exceptional, coffee, dark chocolate, sweet malts, roasted malts, and so on. The taste was about equally good, more sweet than bitter, very rich and flavorful (all the flavors promised in the aroma are delivered in the taste). The body is on the thick side, giving a large presence to a rich beer. Excellent.

The members of the Scandinavian Brewers Guild create some respectable malt beverages. Now if they can lower the price a little...

TurdFurgison, Oct 23, 2007
4.28/5  rDev +3.9%

Thanks to genog for this one.

22.3 oz. bottle poured into a nonic.

Pours an absolute opaque onyx black with a huge dark brown two finger head that slowly dies down to a thick layer that lasts. Stickiness is decent, but doesn't stay long. Smell first starts off with a strong french roast scent blended with frothy whipped cream. Dark chocolate gooey brownies and smoked caramel almonds in the nose as well. Taste is a burnt marshmallow with a strong espresso sting. That is followed up by a quick sweet caramel malt that is then dominated by the smoke flavors again. Big bad coffee beer, I see why it should be for breakfast. So light for this style, almost too watery...but the flavor fits it so well. If you like your mornin' cup o' joe, this brew's for you. Pitch black, no cream...no sugar. Wow, definite geek breakfast.

BeerTruth, Oct 23, 2007
4.3/5  rDev +4.4%

I had waited forever to try this one. The first time my wife saw the bottle in the fridge she thought it said Michael’s a Beer Geek! I thought it was appropriate. So anyway I dove into this one last night. Poured a very dark black, with a nice two inch tan head of lace and a great side glass contribution. Very thick looking. Huge chocolate and coffee aroma coming off of this, almost a vanilla like coffee, very sweet and rich aromas. The flavor was very full. Lots of roasted coffee mixed in with a light chocolate mix and a hint of a hoppy back, but just a hint. Very rich and creamy, this served up perfect for a dessert brew. It was a bit rough finishing the whole bottle as it is quite thick and very filling. Overall this was a great brew. I compare it to the Wake and Bake and it will definitely hold its own, though this one is definitely not as strong. A must try for any stout lover it has a very full body with a good rich and creamy flavor. This one was definitely not to be missed, pick it up if you can get it!

mikesgroove, Oct 23, 2007
4.22/5  rDev +2.4%

a - pours a deep dark black and as thick as crude, one-finger brown head with retention around the edges, moderate lacing

s - smells of iced espresso/deeply roasted coffee with some bittersweet chocolate thrown in, a hint of alcohol but not much

t - big bittersweet chocolate taste up front, mid-palate is dominated by bitter iced coffee, finish is more coffee/espresso bitterness along with slight chocolaty sweetness and some oatmeal, hints of alcohol but not prominent, coffee finish goes on and on

m - full-bodied with moderate carbonation, coats the mouth well, quite dry on the finish due to the coffee

d - very intense beer with the coffee attacking the palate, tasty, but one bottle is enough

Very good breakfast stout all around. Not on the level of the Founders offerings in my opinion, especially considering the steep price, but solid nonetheless. Well worth seeking out a bottle.

WeisGuy, Oct 18, 2007
4.88/5  rDev +18.4%

The appearance of this stuff is almost completely black with a slightly dark brown/mocha head with some nice peaks. The head holds very well and leaves good lace.

Deep sweet and bitter cocoa approaches the nostril, exciting the senses. Loads of roasted malt and spent coffee/espresso grounds.

Thick, dark, bitter cocoa and lots of coffee flavor. Sweet creamy milk chocolate emerges in the middle followed by a dense but slightly sweet espresso flavor that lingers in the finish. Fantastic.

The texture is creamy and dense with a lingering heaviness on the palate. Absolutely outstanding. I'm so happy I got my hands on some of this stuff. One of the best beer experiences I've had.

letsgopens, Oct 12, 2007
3.98/5  rDev -3.4%

Pours thick, rich, and black. Nice creamy-brown head. I hope it tastes as good as it looks. Pleasant aromas of coffee and roasted malt. The beer is incredibly smooth. Coffee flavor comes through, with a nice sharpness. The roasted malt flavor is not very apparent, it seems that there is not much malt flavor. Nice hop finish that sits in the roof of the mouth. All in all, a pleasant brew. The only thing that I did not enjoy, was the lack of real Oatmeal Stout character. But still tasty.

HopGoblin, Oct 09, 2007
4.85/5  rDev +17.7%

A 6 dL bottle purchased yesterday at State Line.

A: The stout pours a thick and oily black, pitch black with no signs of daylight sneaking through the glass. Atop the beer is a cappucino-colored head that is laced all around the mouth of the glass.

S: When the ale is cold, a distinct coffee aroma emerges that mixes with roasted chocolate. As the stout warms, a deeper aroma emerges, mixing complex bready flavors with the coffee and roasted chocolate.

T: The first sip tells me that this is a serious coffee stout. The coffee upfront is slightly bitter and acrid, creating an iced coffee flavor that nicely segues into the stout body. Roasted malts create a burnt landscape that is chocolatey and bready, with undertones of molasses and oatmeal. The end of a sip reveals a citrusy hop element, creating a sweeter finish that adds a vibrant tone. The end of the beer returns to the dependable burnt malt flavors, coating the tastebuds with coffee and burnt toast long after the sip is gone.

M: Coffee. Stout. Hops. Each adds its own distinct flavors throughout the ale. I was worried that this beer wouldn't live up to the hype. I am pleased to report that this beer IS the hype.

D: The 7.50% abv is moderate enough that I'd happily deal with the aftermath of 3 or so bottles. The coffee and stout are so well balanced that you never mind either one. You must find this, it is imperative. Do it as though your life depended on it.

akorsak, Oct 08, 2007
3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

22oz Bomber
$12.99
West Lakeview

Beer Geek Breakfast pours midnight black on a moonless night. No light pushes through the body of this beer. A two finger brown head rises on the pour and fades to a skimming leaving lacing on its way down. Thick silky patchy lacing is left behind after each sip.

Aroma begins with a roasty maltiness and a touch of lactic. Moderate room temp. coffee comes through in the middle along with something that reminds me of crayons. Piney and spicy hops along with bakers chocolate and a lactic quality come through on the backend. The aroma is very nice but a little more subdued than I would've liked.

Roasty malts kick things off and play a major role throughout. A little hop spiciness comes through in the middl getting even spicier with a quick flash of alcohol. Coffee bean, bakers chocolate and that mild heavy cream quality show themselves on the end along with a nice wave of mildly piney and spicy hops.

Mouthfeel may be a little on the thin side but I'm still undecided. It's thinner than I'd expect but I like it quite a bit. The more I sip the more I'm starting to dig the mouthfeel. Leaves a mild lingering hop and roasty malt bitterness.

The thinner than expected mouthfeel makes this beer go down way too quickly. I keep having to slow myself down.

Good beer from Mikkeller. I sampled this right after sampling a Founders breakfast stout. The two are totally different beasts and I like the direction both of them have taken. Hopefully I'll be drinking some more Mikkeller brews in the future.

joe1510, Oct 07, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +5.1%

A very nice and well balanced brew. Reminds me alot of the breakfast stout, just not as hardcore or intense coffee and chocolate. Malty and oatmealy come through. Blackhole in a bottle, no light will pierce this clean brew. pours a 12mm tannish brown head that bubbles away quite quickly.

sman262, Oct 03, 2007
4.3/5  rDev +4.4%

22.3oz bottle (apparently in Denmark they give us .3 more oz)
7.5% abv

Pours a rich black with a head of chocolate froth. May be the darkest head I've ever seen on a beer...and I've had my share of Dark Lord.
Exceptional dark roasted coffee flavor. Blended in with that is the taste of malted milk balls, chocolate truffles, and oatmeal gingerbread cookies. Creamy, full, coating mouthfeel. At 7.5%, the alcohol is a tad low in comparison to some of the "big boys" in the world of double stouts...but I have to admit, this has just as much flavor & complexity as 95% of them.

Well.. apparently Denmark knows a thing or two about Imperial Stouts..
Highly recommended.

Big thanks to Imstillthegman for hooking me up with this rare gem.

hero27, Sep 28, 2007
4.18/5  rDev +1.5%

I thought for my 400th review I might try something a little special. This isnt too rare, but foreign, and hopefully, delicious.

Dispenses from a 22oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.Completely opaque and very thick. A dark, chocolate ice cream colored head forms on top. Pretty good in size and very nice retention. Lacing is there, but isnt too covering.

Aroma is chocolatey and mildly filled with some coffee. Not as pungent and expressive as I would have hoped, but not lacking. Sweet raisins and licorice linger about. Mostly fruity with minimal hop aromas.

Certainly filled with coffee in the flavor. Perfect balance between the sweet fruity flavors and the bitter coffee and hop flavors. I could certainly see this as a breakfast beer. Actually, I am imbibing just before noon, so I guess its breakfast.

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy. Nice. With a 7.5%abv, this is a smooth drinker. The price is the only thing that makes this less drinkable.

SaCkErZ9, Sep 22, 2007
4.05/5  rDev -1.7%

This beer pours a dark black with a collar of dark tan.

Smells of coffee, dark chocolate and walnuts with a touch of cream.

Tastes of dark coffee again with a backing of roasted malts that fade to a touch of milky hazelnut without losing too much of it's roasted dryness. Surprisingly, it finishes dry and roasty. Overall, there's a nice blend and a good change up going on here.

feels dense but silky with a very mild and gentle carbonation.

A tasty sipper, but I would recommend this to be paired with a suitable chocolate desert to make it seem more lively.

DarkerTheBetter, Sep 21, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +5.6%

Appearance: pours a black color with a thick and fluffy dark tan colored head. Some mild lacing develops during the session.

Smell: nice chocolate and coffee aromas fill the air where you do not need to stick your nose in the glass.

Taste: sweet chocolates, espresso, hints of licorice, caramels, and a hearty bitterness are up front and bold. Hints of alcohol and a bit of oatmeal provides some background creaminess.

Mouthfeel: light crispness at the start. Smooth and creamy at the finish. Long aftertaste as the flavors last a while. Heavy in body.

Drinkability: this is a slow sipping beer that has some bold flavors. No means a session stout, but it is a enjoyable beer that a few pints can be had.

Gavage, Sep 21, 2007
4.63/5  rDev +12.4%

A great big thanks to BRoss242 for sending this great extra.

Poured the Geek at cellar temp and first impression is a very dark beer with some great viscosity and a big frothy, mocha colored, head. The head seems thick yet soft. A great coffee aroma, but not as overpowering as other examples as this one also presents some cocoa, vanilla, milk, roasted and chocolate malts, and a hint of alcohol. Tastes very much like the aroma, some coffee upfront with some roasted malts and roasted barley; it has a nice cocoa and slightly bitter and dry finish. This beer drinks great! Drinkability is high on this one.

seaoflament, Sep 20, 2007
4.22/5  rDev +2.4%

Well for starters It's an Oatmeal Stout

I just drop in to check on a certain beer and I saw this one. Hmm, oatmeal and coffee which I have had from other breweries. Price was steep $13.00 but after trying it definitely holds its own.

Man it could really be a quick breakfast.

Chewy, smooth, mean real smooth. Very little CO2 if any.

It got to be the darkest beer I have drank so far.

One word, thick!

Good call will collect more.

mortarit, Sep 18, 2007
4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

A: Pours a total black with a very dark, bubbly head. Moderate lacing.

S: Huge smell with a dominant roasted peanut character with coffee and chocolate aromas as well. THe intense character of each of the aromas makes this one stand out.

T: Lots of coffee flavor. Starts out with a raw earthy taste and gradually evolves into a tasty mocha capacchino flavor.

M: A bit lighter in body than I would expect from such a big flavor, but at only 7.5%, I suppose I can't fault it too much. Subtle carbonation and a strong lingering flavor help its cause.

D: Quite fantastic. I needs me more.

klewis, Sep 18, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured from a 22.3oz bottle into two pint glasses. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist.

A: Pitch black with a dark coffee brown head.

S: Huge nose of high quality coffee. Along for the ride is chocolate, roasted malt, and brown sugar.

T: See above. Incredible! Toasted oats, espresso, bitter dark chocolate, molassas, etc.

M: Creamy with a bitter coffee tang.

D: One of the best coffee stouts around. Hands down. Find this at all costs!

GbVDave, Sep 17, 2007