Beer Geek Breakfast - Mikkeller ApS

Denmark

Oatmeal Stout |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: Goldorak on 03-10-2006

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.

Ingredients : Water, malt (pils, oat, smoked, caramunich, brown, pale chocolate and chocolate), roasted barley, flaked oats, hops (centennial and cascade), ale yeast and gourmet coffee.
Reviews: 956 | Hads: 2,278
3.95/5  rDev -3.9%

22oz Bomber
$12.99
West Lakeview

Beer Geek Breakfast pours midnight black on a moonless night. No light pushes through the body of this beer. A two finger brown head rises on the pour and fades to a skimming leaving lacing on its way down. Thick silky patchy lacing is left behind after each sip.

Aroma begins with a roasty maltiness and a touch of lactic. Moderate room temp. coffee comes through in the middle along with something that reminds me of crayons. Piney and spicy hops along with bakers chocolate and a lactic quality come through on the backend. The aroma is very nice but a little more subdued than I would've liked.

Roasty malts kick things off and play a major role throughout. A little hop spiciness comes through in the middl getting even spicier with a quick flash of alcohol. Coffee bean, bakers chocolate and that mild heavy cream quality show themselves on the end along with a nice wave of mildly piney and spicy hops.

Mouthfeel may be a little on the thin side but I'm still undecided. It's thinner than I'd expect but I like it quite a bit. The more I sip the more I'm starting to dig the mouthfeel. Leaves a mild lingering hop and roasty malt bitterness.

The thinner than expected mouthfeel makes this beer go down way too quickly. I keep having to slow myself down.

Good beer from Mikkeller. I sampled this right after sampling a Founders breakfast stout. The two are totally different beasts and I like the direction both of them have taken. Hopefully I'll be drinking some more Mikkeller brews in the future. (1,545 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +5.1%

A very nice and well balanced brew. Reminds me alot of the breakfast stout, just not as hardcore or intense coffee and chocolate. Malty and oatmealy come through. Blackhole in a bottle, no light will pierce this clean brew. pours a 12mm tannish brown head that bubbles away quite quickly. (288 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +4.1%

22.3oz bottle (apparently in Denmark they give us .3 more oz)
7.5% abv

Pours a rich black with a head of chocolate froth. May be the darkest head I've ever seen on a beer...and I've had my share of Dark Lord.
Exceptional dark roasted coffee flavor. Blended in with that is the taste of malted milk balls, chocolate truffles, and oatmeal gingerbread cookies. Creamy, full, coating mouthfeel. At 7.5%, the alcohol is a tad low in comparison to some of the "big boys" in the world of double stouts...but I have to admit, this has just as much flavor & complexity as 95% of them.

Well.. apparently Denmark knows a thing or two about Imperial Stouts..
Highly recommended.

Big thanks to Imstillthegman for hooking me up with this rare gem. (737 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +1.7%

I thought for my 400th review I might try something a little special. This isnt too rare, but foreign, and hopefully, delicious.

Dispenses from a 22oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.Completely opaque and very thick. A dark, chocolate ice cream colored head forms on top. Pretty good in size and very nice retention. Lacing is there, but isnt too covering.

Aroma is chocolatey and mildly filled with some coffee. Not as pungent and expressive as I would have hoped, but not lacking. Sweet raisins and licorice linger about. Mostly fruity with minimal hop aromas.

Certainly filled with coffee in the flavor. Perfect balance between the sweet fruity flavors and the bitter coffee and hop flavors. I could certainly see this as a breakfast beer. Actually, I am imbibing just before noon, so I guess its breakfast.

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy. Nice. With a 7.5%abv, this is a smooth drinker. The price is the only thing that makes this less drinkable. (957 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -1.5%

This beer pours a dark black with a collar of dark tan.

Smells of coffee, dark chocolate and walnuts with a touch of cream.

Tastes of dark coffee again with a backing of roasted malts that fade to a touch of milky hazelnut without losing too much of it's roasted dryness. Surprisingly, it finishes dry and roasty. Overall, there's a nice blend and a good change up going on here.

feels dense but silky with a very mild and gentle carbonation.

A tasty sipper, but I would recommend this to be paired with a suitable chocolate desert to make it seem more lively. (564 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +5.8%

Appearance: pours a black color with a thick and fluffy dark tan colored head. Some mild lacing develops during the session.

Smell: nice chocolate and coffee aromas fill the air where you do not need to stick your nose in the glass.

Taste: sweet chocolates, espresso, hints of licorice, caramels, and a hearty bitterness are up front and bold. Hints of alcohol and a bit of oatmeal provides some background creaminess.

Mouthfeel: light crispness at the start. Smooth and creamy at the finish. Long aftertaste as the flavors last a while. Heavy in body.

Drinkability: this is a slow sipping beer that has some bold flavors. No means a session stout, but it is a enjoyable beer that a few pints can be had. (709 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +12.7%

A great big thanks to BRoss242 for sending this great extra.

Poured the Geek at cellar temp and first impression is a very dark beer with some great viscosity and a big frothy, mocha colored, head. The head seems thick yet soft. A great coffee aroma, but not as overpowering as other examples as this one also presents some cocoa, vanilla, milk, roasted and chocolate malts, and a hint of alcohol. Tastes very much like the aroma, some coffee upfront with some roasted malts and roasted barley; it has a nice cocoa and slightly bitter and dry finish. This beer drinks great! Drinkability is high on this one. (609 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +1%

Well for starters It's an Oatmeal Stout

I just drop in to check on a certain beer and I saw this one. Hmm, oatmeal and coffee which I have had from other breweries. Price was steep $13.00 but after trying it definitely holds its own.

Man it could really be a quick breakfast.

Chewy, smooth, mean real smooth. Very little CO2 if any.

It got to be the darkest beer I have drank so far.

One word, thick!

Good call will collect more. (438 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +15.3%

A: Pours a total black with a very dark, bubbly head. Moderate lacing.

S: Huge smell with a dominant roasted peanut character with coffee and chocolate aromas as well. THe intense character of each of the aromas makes this one stand out.

T: Lots of coffee flavor. Starts out with a raw earthy taste and gradually evolves into a tasty mocha capacchino flavor.

M: A bit lighter in body than I would expect from such a big flavor, but at only 7.5%, I suppose I can't fault it too much. Subtle carbonation and a strong lingering flavor help its cause.

D: Quite fantastic. I needs me more. (589 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured from a 22.3oz bottle into two pint glasses. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist.

A: Pitch black with a dark coffee brown head.

S: Huge nose of high quality coffee. Along for the ride is chocolate, roasted malt, and brown sugar.

T: See above. Incredible! Toasted oats, espresso, bitter dark chocolate, molassas, etc.

M: Creamy with a bitter coffee tang.

D: One of the best coffee stouts around. Hands down. Find this at all costs! (441 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours black as oil with a large chocolate milk head that dies slow. MMM smells of roasted coffee beans, dark chocolate and cocoa. Tastes of the coffee, dark chocolate malt, oatmeal and finishes with ground coffee and a hop bite. Full and delicious in the mouth. A sipper but I can sip on multiples of this coffee stout anyday. A must try and hits a soft spot I have for these stouts (382 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +13.9%

22oz bottle from Florian's. Pitch-black completely opaque body with a good inch of light brown head. The first completely opaque beer I've ever had. Smells like burnt malt and good coffee. Tastes like burnt and roasted malts, as well as oatmeal with a generous dose of coffee as well. No real hop or alcohol presence here. This stout is thick - you could cut this with a knife and fork. Probably the thickest feeling carbonated beer I've ever encountered. Definitely a sipper due to the big taste and mouthfeel, but one sip definitely invites another like few beers do. I am unbelievably impressed with this beer. I cannot say enough good things about it; it exemplifies everything I love about stouts - and about beer in general. A new favorite! I could drink this morning, noon, and night. I'll be buying many several more in the coming weeks! (845 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Shared a bottle with my friend Josh (trep) at 8:30 in the morning of the '07 WVU-Marshall football game in Huntington, WV. Hey, if they're gonna call it Beer Geek Breakfast, why not honor the namesake?

Pours an opaque, jet black body into my oversized wine glass; thick and viscous with a monstrous sienna-brown head. Great retention & some lacing left behind. Aroma is chock-full of roasted java beans, bittersweet chocolate, and milk. It's like hot cocoa mixed with coffee. Can't wait to drink it.

And rightfully so, as the taste is delicious. Even at 8:30 AM, it's a great beer, with lots of roasted malt, chocolate, and coffee notes. Mouthfeel delivered a bitter finish to cap off a viscous, creamy body with the perfect amount of light carbonation. If this beer weren't so damn expensive, I might have one for breakfast every day. Amazingly drinkable, especially with the lower alcohol level. (899 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is black, eclipsing the light I'm holding it up to. A thick, creamy, chocolate milk shake of a head slowly deflates over it. Smells a lot bigger than it apparently is: big, rich chocolate, coffee, tar, molasses - an entire chocolate-themed dessert aroma. Big, luscious mouthful of sweet, roasted chocolate malts and bitter, dry roastiness of the coffee that lingers towards the end. The lightness of the carbonation and its smoothness make it seem really full bodied, but it really floats around in the mouth. My glass is empty already dammit. If I found this at a bar, it would be very hard not to order another. (623 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The beer pours a thick murky deep black with a decent dark tan head that slowly diminishes. The aroma is a great blend of roasted barley, espresso, and very dark chocolate. The taste is also a blend of these same things with a slight edge going towards the roasted barley. the espresso is not far behind, however. The beer is on the low end of heavy bodied with plenty of warming alcohol that is fairly well hidden. This is a without a doubt a wonderful stout, I can't wait to try another bottle in the dead of winter. (518 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +1.9%

A - completely black, tan head drops to a decent cap, visible carbonation, nice lacing

S - wonderful chocolate and light coffee, rounded out by some lovely oatmeal, a very full aroma

T - coffee is much more evident in the taste, it's not overly roasty for a stout, but very nice in the finish, hop bitterness shows up long after every thing else. As it warms, it becomes more balanced with some sweetness, while the coffee softens and becomes more complex with hints of smoke and bittersweet chocolate.

M - not overly full or heavy, but very creamy, leaves a dryness in the mouth just like drinking black coffee

D - unique and very complex, but it is just slightly overdone on the dry coffee flavour

I didn't even know this beer existed, so I consider myself lucky to try it. The aroma is heavenly. If I could change anything, I would give it more body, and either cut back on the coffee or increase the crystal malt for some sweetness to balance.

Thanks to Goldorak for the bottle! (988 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +1%

Pours a one finger brown head that fades slowly leaving some lace. Totally black color. Light carbonation and heavy bodied. Coffee/molasses nose. Flavor is a balance of coffee and molasses, hints of sweetness. Smooth. Bakers chocolate aftertaste. Great to try but pricey at $14.00 for a 22.3oz?? (659ml) bottle from Tully's Beer and Wine Wells, ME. (348 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +2.2%

Obtained in trading with RustyDiamond.

Light proof black beer with a rack dark brown head that falls fairly quickly.

Smells of Kahlua and coffee, caramel, and chocolate. This is a bit boozy in the smell and does a dead on impersonation of Kahlua.

The taste begins not sweet and a little metallic with mostly black coffee taste. This is pretty much a coffee stout. Strongly dry for a beer of this type so if you think most RIS is too sweet and if you want Guinness on steroids this is the beer for you.

Quite a thick beer the mouthfeel is very full.

Pretty drinkable and I could see drinking it again, but it isn't the best beer of this type. Consider it to be another example of a good beer. (696 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a very dark brown with a small head. Smell is roasted coffee, and then some more coffee. Taste is definitely all coffee. There’s some roasted bitterness that comes through as well. The mouthfeel is a bit thin. After it’s sat for awhile, the chocolate tends to come out a little more, and it tends to get a little more creamy. An easy drinker that I’m glad that I found.
At the price point, $13, there are a lot better options. (435 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +7.8%

With a name like that, needless to say it attracts the eye!! And rightfully so. It is a gorgeous brew to look at when poured. A dark black with a rich tan head. It fills your nose with aromas of oats, coffe, and a hint of dark chocolate. So enticing you can't resist too long. When on your palate, a rich, creamy mouthfell wins you over. Low carbonation, and a slightly dry finish. The flavor is all coffee. Superb!
Be aware, it is a BIG ONE!!
Good for any meal, lunch, dinner, ... or breakfast!! I actually finished it the next morning. Still good. (550 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -1.5%

I have been wanting to try this beer since I first spotted it on the shelf and I finally plunked down the $14 to try a bomber. The pour is a not surprising inky-black with a dark brown head that reminds me of Bell’s Expedition it is so dark. The smell is heavy roasted coffee with oats lurking at the edges. The smell is really good if you like coffee. The taste seems to be more oat than coffee with some bitterness like dark chocolate at the end and then the coffee coming back to slap you in the face! The mouthfeel is neither too thin nor too syrupy, just right and the alcohol is well masked by the flavors of the beer. In my opinion this beats Founder’s Breakfast Stout by a hair or two. This was worth the price of admission but only for one viewing. If you are a coffee-beer fan then you should probably seek this one out. (832 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +17.5%

Beer Geek Breakfast. The name alone stopped me in my tracks as I scanned the shelves at one of my favorite beer shops for something new to try. The coffee beans pictured on the label immediately put the bottle in my hand. And the description on the label sealed the deal: A combination of an oatmeal and coffee stout.

Not something I'd expect from Denmark.

Mikkeller's brewers did not lie. A nice, somewhat traditional, oatmeal sout awaited. The coffee added a lot of interest to a style I already love, but without overpowering the subtle aspects of an oatmeal, such as the almost flinty/mineral background.

Black, rich, and filling. Easy to drink. Delicious. A beer that I will have again. (694 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +0.5%

22 oz bottle. Pours an extremely dark and opaque black-brown with a dark brown head that quickly recedes to a thin film that laces the glass some.

The aroma is chocolate malts, oatmeal, lactose, dark fruits and vinous alcohol.

The flavor is chocolate with some slightly tart and sour fruits (seem a little out of place) leading to a roasted grainy and acidic coffee and tar finish that is quite bitter. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied, a little low on carbonation, but extremely velvety - one of the first things I noticed as I sipped it.

Overall, a fun well-made beer. I'd prefer less hops and more coffee though (never thought I'd say that!). I really want to love this, but it is just shy of an awesome beer...still very good though (albeit expensive). (765 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +2.2%

22 oz bottle. Poured into a pint glass. This beer pours a fairly viscous opaque black with a nice khaki colored head that starts to settle but has pretty good retention.
The nose is filled with nice roasted malt aromas, bakers chocolate, medium roast coffee, a tinge of vanilla extract and a lingering sublte sweetness.
Upon each sip the initial taste is of a good dose of chocolate malt followed with a prominate roasted character and a good dose of coffee. Each characteristic flow into one another and the finish is sweet and offers some balance to the dark chololate, roasted malts and coffee flavor.
The mouthfeel is medium bodied and fairly silky but also has a decent amount of carbonation.
Very drinkable. If you are a fan of bold coffees and stouts this beer is for you. Easy to drink, tasty, and smells great. (825 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast
22 oz bomber
Moderate pour in a snifter.
Unknown brewing, snacked on 08/07

Poured black with a large frothy mostly lasting dark mocha head.

Smelt of strong premium roast coffee, rich burnt malt, dark chocolate.

Taste was upfront strong sweet dark chocolate malt, and strong bitter coffee and burnt malt followed by more of the same, with a stronger coffee aroma and a slight dry yeastiness on a long lingering coffee finish.

Palate was medium to full bodied, rich and creamy, lively carbonated and strongly astringent.

Overall, this beer is great aromatherapy, and the flavors are pure bliss. It seemed a bit heavy to drink on a hot August night, though. Heavy coffee stouts being my favorite style, its hard for me not to like it, but without being biased I still think this is a very well done brew. (850 characters)

Beer Geek Breakfast from Mikkeller ApS