Black Hole - Mikkeller ApS

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

Russian Imperial Stout |  13.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-24-2006

Brewed at De Proefbrouwerij.

Ingredients: Water, malt, roasted barley, flaked oats, dark cassanade, honey, hops, coffee, vanilla and ale yeast.

I just can't say enough about this beer! This may be my new all time favorite!

It pours black as coal - completely opaque as an impy stout should be.

It smells of prunes, raisins and licorice.

It tastes, well, heavenly! Silky, smooth full bodied mouthfeel with just a prickle of carbonation. Malty, chocolatey, rum, vanilla, dried fruit and port. It's ALL in there.

It tastes half of its 13% alcohol. A wonderful, warming, sipper.

Have I mentioned I LOVE this beer??

Aroma is absolutely heavenly, at least to me as a porter/stout fanatic: rich, strongly of dark coffee and unsweetened chocolate, with an undertone of molasses. Pours just as black as its namesake with a thick, fine-bubbled, dark tan head. Flavor lives up to the aroma and appearance, like a rick mocha made from fine, dark roast coffee and bittersweet chocolate. There is even a hint of orange in the flavor. Texture is delightfully smooth and thick as cream. Strongly recommended, especially to my fellow stout nuts.

4.95/5  rDev +29.2%

This is my holy grail for beers that I can actually get regularly. I love Darklord, Bourbon County is bangin', Speedway is delicious...but I can't go to Tasty Bev in Raleigh and get any of these.

I can however, snag Mikkeller Black Holes all day, so I DO.

A - Black pour, creamy brown head, nice lacing.

S - Roasted coffee and nice hop balance

T - A wealth of coffee and subtle bittersweet chocolate, perfectly balanced.

M - Chewy, thick, and creamy to start. Full and lengthy finish...nothing deminishes. Touch of carbonation.

O - I will drink these for the rest of my short life...one of the best stouts around. Now I'm off to try the Black.

4.84/5  rDev +26.4%

Bottle Inspection: Silver foil wrapped, notes 13.1 abv and coffee.

Aroma: A dump truck full of wonderful candied grapefruit. It really drowned out any other aroma, just luscious West Coast style C hop orange and grapefruit. One of the best smelling beers I’ve put my nose in.

Appearance: Opaque (given the name, you would figure) black with very little head.

Flavor: A hint of cold coffee, mildly roasted grains, and hops hops hops. Like a complicated IPA, just wonderful hop fruitiness.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, slightly creamy.

Overall Impression: Outrageously drinkable. I need to get a hold of some more of this stuff. REALLY good, strongly recommended.

Big thanks to Zack for busting out the goods.

4.83/5  rDev +26.1%

Pours a pitch black with a rich, thick brown head into my glass. Very nice!

Cocoa, roasted coffee and light cream notes greet the nose. Good balance of aroma thus far.

This is all about the coffee. Rich, dark roasted beans leave an acidic finish that is complimented by a touch of cream at the back.

The finish reminds me of that of chocolate covered coffee beans. Bitter and acidic with a sweet finish.

I love this example. I would probably buy another bottle to age as there are flavors that will come out with a bit of time, 13% and all.

4.82/5  rDev +25.8%

When you hold this beer up to the light you just see black. The light does not penetrate this beer in the slightest - not even around the edges. It truly is as solid a black as a beer can get. A thin half finger of beige and creamy head developed on the beer and quickly receded to a thin collar. There was no lacing from this. As I drank the beer there was plenty of lacing on the glass. The aroma of this beer is aggressive - as soon as you pour this behemoth it seems to charge from the glass and seek out the nearest nostrils to assault. I was pleased these happened to be my nostrils. There is an intense coffee aroma that smells as good as the ritziest of coffee shops. There is also burnt toast, roasted malts, and unsweetened chocolate present. All these are very strong but they balance each other beautifully. None of them are overshadowing the rest. The taste is complex and world class. You get a very high quality coffee flavor that almost seems a bit like a mocha as it blends with the bittersweet chocolate. As these fade I get caramel, vanilla, and a bit of woody taste. Somewhere in there I got the dark fruits typical of belgian dubbels. The finish has that nice warming alcohol sensation. The taste of the 13.1% alcohol is well hidden. The flavors in Black Hole are intense and highly enjoyable. I have a thing for good coffee beers and this once again has impressed me greatly. The mouthfeel is rich, smooth and almost a bit silky. No excuses - go try this beer.

4.81/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Oh, shiznit. I'm in love. I had this recommended to me by a guy at Steve's Liquor (Madison). And I nearly pitched his suggestion when he walked away b/c I was there to pick up Southern Tier Mokah. So lucky I didn't. (I actually took home both :) )

The weak aroma is the only drawback, here. It pours a beautiful, opaque black, with the darkest brown head I've ever seen. Perma-lacing marks up the tulip glass like meringue.

The hop bitterness and high ABV were too much for my wife. But I feel like I've died and gone to heaven. The 13% alcohol is entirely well-hidden. The hop bitterness balances the sweet so well it creates the mirage of sweet french-roast coffee w/ cream.

4.78/5  rDev +24.8%

A- black as tar, can't see through this to save my life. The head is small but thick, and very dark. It looks like the froth on a cappuccino. The bubbles in the beer move very slowly to the surface, making the whole package look silky and thick.

S- Good hit of fresh coffee grounds, followed by a strong wave of roasted, almost burnt, maltiness. There is also a subtle sweetness in the scent, like someone drinks there coffee with sugar. A very slight chocolate note, concealed behind the coffee and burnt flavors. No preceivable alcohol or hop presence... I am serving it a bit cold, let's see what happens when it warms a bit.

T- Holy java, this is delicious. Very sweet, but not sickly, almost creamy sweet. The coffee is definitely present but not in such a staggering way as, say, a Bell's Java stout. The coffee is very smooth and welcoming. Quite a bit of snap to the 13% here, but not in a harsh way. Burnt flavor also apparent here, but is very subtle. There is an apparent lack of bitterness and astringency from the coffee, which makes this beer very soft on the palate.

M- Very, very, very luscious. This beer is as thick as they come, I wouldn't be surprised if it were bottled with molasses. The carbonation is rather low, but enough to keep the beer from being too heavy on the tongue. The texture is silky and smooth.

D- This be is extremely drinkable, I cannot imagine that I would ever pass one down. Nothing about it disagrees with my senses. I would however, really only want to drink one of these in a sitting, and preferably at night, when it is cold, and I am looking for a hefty digestive. Imagine if Thomas Hardy was brewed with coffee... throw in some chocolate malt and this is what you'd end up with. Holy cow, I'm feeling that 13% now... not too many beers can make me this tipsy after just one.

cork reads 01/07/12, drank on 3/15/09 from a bottle in a Duvel snifter.

Black Hole from Mikkeller ApS