Black Hole - Mikkeller ApS

Black HoleBlack Hole

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

Russian Imperial Stout |  13.10% ABV

Brewed at De Proefbrouwerij.

Ingredients: Water, malt, roasted barley, flaked oats, dark cassanade, honey, hops, coffee, vanilla and ale yeast.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-24-2006)
3.98/5  rDev +4.2%

A- Pours dark black, possibly "black hole" color, No head, litterely like pouring motor oil, might be the same viscosity to.

S- Sweet Chocolates, Brandy, hits of bourbon or at least something alcoholic, vanilla and coffee.

T- Very sweet vanilla taste, Coffee, Mild burn of alcohol but it is a good burn, it adds to the bitter dark chocolate flavor that overwhelms the tongue after. I can taste the chocky, puckery of the coco powder in this.

M- There is no carbonation, like none, Whats up with that? come on I understand that this is a sippin' beer but I still want some beer qualities in it! I think the carbonation would really bring alive some more flavors and reduce the alcohol burn

D- This, Lack of carbonation is really a downer, Although this beer has some great qualities I'm pretty disappointed that a glass cost 13 bucks! This beer is a must try still if not for the inspiration of flavors and sweetness.

3.2/5  rDev -16.2%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: A milky, viscous pour. Espresso black and totally opaque. A thin ring of fine, stout-like tan head.

S: A bit alcoholic smelling; chocolate notes are as strong as coffee ones. Very sweet scent. I don't get any hops or spicy notes.

T: Too sweet, much like overly sugared coffee. The lingering taste has a good malt and bitter coffee finish, but not enough to counter the up-front saccharine punch. The booze, however, is well-hidden.

M: Lovely, thick, smooth feel that coats the whole mouth. No carbonated sensation whatsoever.

D: Middle of the road. Lots of alcohol means I'll be feeling it at the bottom of this glass. It's also just too sweet for me. I generally enjoy coffee stouts, but this one isn't tops in my book. Tastes more like chocolate milk than coffee...perhaps because I like my coffee black.

3.98/5  rDev +4.2%

A - Poured out an opaque, jet black color with a small, brown, bubbly head of foam. It left little to no lacing.

S - It smelled of chocolate and rich, dark chocolate. There was a slight floral aroma, too.

T - It tasted of bitter, dark chocolate with a espresso-like flavor. It tasted a little like a mocha. Unfortunately the flavor faded the longer it was open.

M - It was fairly crisp and sharp. A medium bodied ale with a dry finish.

D - This is a good coffee imperial stout. However, the flavor did not match the great aroma.

3.13/5  rDev -18.1%

375mL bottle with a best-before date of 1/07/12. Pours black with very little head. Aroma has chocolate, coffee, alcohol, bitter hops, and dark fruits. The taste is strong and very boozy with burnt coffee, chocolate, brown sugar, and soy sauce. Medium bodied with almost no carbonation. Drinkability isn't great, this was difficult to finish. This beer was a bit of a let-down after trying Beer Geek Breakfast. It's a bit too hot right now.. I'll cellar my other bottle for a while before drinking it.

3.63/5  rDev -5%

A: Caged and corked, but I could not get that fake cork out of the bottle with just my hands. Finally used a pair of pliers -- I am not exaggerating. Poured from the 12.7 oz bottle into a Piraat tulip/snifter-type glass. First impression is of the thickness of the beer, or, rather, the lack thereof. Expected a heavier body but it pours relatively "light."

That describes the heft, but not the color. This puppy is a black hole. Light is neither penetrating nor escaping. Small beigish film of a head is there but disappears quickly. No lace.

S: Licorice, booze -- bourbon -- and coffee. Not terribly strong in the nose. Considered giving this a 3.5 in smell. . . .

T: Kind of follows the nose: think slightly watery day-old coffee with a splash of bourbon added. Some licorice at times reminds me of sambuca. Also molasses, reminds me of rum.

Notice that I'm reminded of booze? Well, that 13% ABV will do that to you. Alcohol is noted in both the taste and the heat down the gulley and in the belly. Finishes with a drying alcohol warmth and lingering bitterness. At times there's a touch of dark chocolate, but more often it reminds me of bitter roasted coffee beans. That's the taste that lingers (at times it seems oaky).

I started out by giving this a 4 in taste, but I'm knocking it down a peg.

M: No qualms about knocking the mouthfeel score down to 3.5. Body is too thin and as a result feels lighter in heft than you want (expect) from this style. Slightly slick feel to it.

D: OK. Despite some of the knocks, all-in-all this beer is OK. Booze and bitterness will slow you down, but any 13% beer is bound to be a sipper.

Overall impression: needs more malt. Roasty, chocolatey goodness and the heft more malt would provide would make this a better beer, IMHO. It's a decent beer as is, but certainly not other-worldly.

3.85/5  rDev +0.8%

The beer is extremely dark brown in color with a brown head that is almost non-existent but this is fairly typically of a Russian Imperial Stout. It has a very light scent of chocolate but that is it. The flavor profile is complex with strong coffee and vanilla flavors and some definite pitted fruit aftertaste. The heat is not well hidden, this definitely screams high alcohol but not enough to affect the nose. The body is thin but smooth with the right amount of carbonation for this style. Overall it is a decent imperial stout but nothing to write home about.

1.1/5  rDev -71.2%

Had this a little less than a month ago. Into a snifter, pours virtually no head. The body is as thin as prune juice, and I knew from the first pour that this was not going to be pleasant.

Ugh, aromas of prunes-gone-bad and stale graham crackers. Mr. alexd3891 says it smells decent, but all I smell are prunes-gone-bad and stale graham crackers. And maybe, MAYBE some coffee.

Flavors include the aforementioned prunes-gone-bad and stale graham crackers, with some coffee and a whole lot of booziness. Perhaps if I hold my nose there might be some semblance of balance here, but, God's honest truth, it tastes awful.

Don't even get me started on the mouthfeel. Would anyone like some prune-juice gone bad with what is supposedly a Russian Imperial Stout?

Overall, I have barely ever to be this disappointed with a beer, but this is crap as a really crappy thing. All this talk of prunes and crap is probably the best kind of pairing I can think of for Black Hole, and shame on Mikkeller for allowing such a devious fall from the pinnacle of grace that is Beer Geek Breakfast to be unleashed on all of us. It was such hell I poured it out halfway through.

3.13/5  rDev -18.1%

Review #200 375 ML poured into a GD Globe Best before 1/7/12

A-- Poured a dark brown, settled all sorts of BLACK. No head to speak of at all. Thick layer of mocha colored film. No carbonation. Some life in a few swirls of the glass. Looks darned near like ink.

S-- Thick, rich chocolate, heavy roasted malts and espresso. Traces of Vanilla and a good dose of molasses and alcohol in the nose.

T-- Vanilla, molasses chocolate, burnt coffee, and espresso. Very thick and syrupy first sip. ABV is obvious as get a big tingle in the mouth and a lot of warming in the front.

M-- Is there any carbonation?? Stating the obvious but very full bodied. Very syrupy but after the initial attack it mellows out some. The coffee could be a bit bigger and bolder and offset the sweetness of this.

D-- My issue is that it is really sweet and to me under carbonated. Still, it is unforgiving and beats you down pretty big. One is all you can do and a 375 still may be too much. More due to sweetness than the ABV. ABV is well hidden but gets to you after a while. More like a liqueur than anything else. Good idea to let this cellar for 6 months before drinking. Not the best RIS I have had and my Black Damnations are far more complex than this is.

3.53/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a rich velvety dark brown with a creamy tan head that leaves slight lacing.

Aroma is Big and boozy. Charred dark grain and generous hop bitterness meets sweet dark fruit. Alcohol has a strong presence.

Taste is sweet dark malt, with hints of cocoa and espresso up front. Charred smokey bitterness steps in momentarily, before the strong hop presence washes over everything with a very 'green' aspect. Finishes quite bitter, but tempered somewhat by sweet dark fruit and astringent alcohol.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied.

This is a very big stout. Flavor is rich and intense. Not for the uninitiated.

3.7/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a deep dark brown with a thin dark tan head with just a bit of soap ring of bubbles.

The smell is very green, like fresh picked hops mixing in with nice dark chocolate.

Lots of chocolate going on in the flavor along with some mild black malts and smokey bitterness before the fresh green hops start to take over in the finish. A bit of alcohol pokes through as well along with some fresh juniper and anise.

The extreme amount of hops makes this for an oily and resiny sticky mouthfeel that coats for a long time.

Its ok, but nothing spectacular, I don't mind a hoppy stout, but find this a bit lacking in complexity compared to your more traditional Imperial Stouts.

Big beer with little carbonation that to my mind marries the mouthfeel and sweetness of a young barleywine with lots of coffee and chocolate found in an Imperial Stout. This is a well made beer that uses some sweetness to balance the huge hoppy coffee notes in the midbody. Could do with some aging but it contrasts nicely with the more lively Beer Geeks Breakfest

3.83/5  rDev +0.3%

There were a few of these at From the Vine at Polaris. I dont know how but Jaimie does it again. Another beer thats not supposed to be in Ohio dude to the ABV cap...SHHHH!! You didnt hear that from me though...

A- Little half bottle, foiled and corked with a synthetic cork. I got a ncie head out of this beer but the alcohol put an end to it quickly. Lacing is really the only trace left behind.

S- Smell is super nice. Big on strong coffee with cream. Roasted malts and a little bit of alcohol.

T- Not as great as the nose. Acidic coffee, its kinda oily. Roasty and vinous characters that many big ass stouts like this have seem out of place with the coffee in this one.

M- Low carbonation with a full body. Slightly warming from alcohol but no where near what I expected.

D- While the alcohol is hidden quite well in the flavor its effects are felt suddenly.

4.18/5  rDev +9.4%

Drank from my De Struise Tulip Glass

A - Absolutely no head to speak of. Pours a dense ebony colour that no light could ever be senn through.

S - Heavy chocolate aromas fron the Bottle. Becomes more coffe once poured.

T - Rich rich coffee and chocolate with heavy roast malts. Quite a boozy finish.

M - Not enough carbonation for a heavy stout.

D - I don't know if I got a bad bottle but this is inferior to the Black Albert

2.3/5  rDev -39.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

My first review (after lurking here for the past several months)!

Date on cork: Aug 1st, 2012 (best by)

Appearance: Poured into Duvel tulip, very slight mocha head developed right at end of pour... color is black, hence the name "black hole" I'm guessing...

Smell: BAM. Sweet and alcohol onslaught... very subtle hints of coffee/chocolate roasty-ness, but defintely overpowered by the alcohol and sugar... not a great balance

Taste: Heavy molasses and other honey/sugar notes, alcohol is slap-you-'cross-the-face prevalent, coffee/chocolate roast comes out near the finish.

Mouthfeel: Ack. The mouthfeel is not as viscous as I like stouts. This feels more like a scotch or old ale. This was the deal-breaker for me.

Drinkability: Nope. I think I had 3 or 4 sips and called it quits. I couldn't do it. Maybe this is better fresh (I'm guessing this was 3 years old, not sure though).

Overall, I was quite disappointed. I've had phenomenal coffee stouts, and I don't even know if I would have called this a stout brewed with coffee! I have a few more offerings from Mikkeller waiting downstairs, so hopefully they turn my frown upside-down!

3.48/5  rDev -8.9%

Most stouts that call themselves "black" are truly dark brown; you can see it at the edges. The fact that light can't pass through makes them appear black. This beer is not one of those and it really is black. Oncorking it was not easy as the rubber cork is a good inch and half deep. So I was surprised when there was no hiss and absolutely no head. Not what I expect or want from a stout. Not a great start.

The smell on the other hand is all RIS, which means burnt toast, chocolate and coffee. The coffee is to be expected since this beer is brewed with it, but I had thought that any chocolaty goodness is the nose would be overpowered...it's not. There's also a hint of soy sauce. I usually don't like it when that comes through, but for some reason it works here.

Holy cow! The coffee was not overpowering in the smell, but it sure stands out in the taste! Everything in the nose is there, just not in the same balance. The coffee really comes to the forefront and subdues the chocolate to a mild whimper. The soy sauce is punctuated in a sensation of alcohol. Let's let it warm up some more and see if it relaxes a little. So we'll need to journey through the black hole to the future as long as we can survive the crushing gravity. Let's assume we did and we're back and the beer's warmed up. It still hasn't really settled down much. The bitterness has abated, which happens with all stouts when they warm up. That left it cloyingly sweet. It now tastes like black coffee with a lot of turbinado sugar. Addendum: I looked up "cassanade" (which the brewery lists in the ingredients) after I wrote this and found out that it is French for raw sugar...which is close to turbinado sugar, which explains the molasses/soy sauce taste that comes through.

This one seems a bit much for me and I've had so many better stouts. I guess I'm getting to be quite the stout snob, but my money is better spent on stouts that have a better balance to the flavor profiles. You can also get a good sense of the alcohol (sort of like Irish whiskey), but not as much as you'd think considering it's 13.1%. If you drink all 12.7 fluid ounces you'll be typing everything three or four times in your review until you get it right. Even then, I'll need to edit this tomorrow. Boogety, boogety, boogety!

I still appreciate what these Danes are attempting and support them wholeheartedly. Keep it up guys! Nothing's rotten in the state of Denmark as far as I can tell.

3.25/5  rDev -14.9%

Had at a small tasting thanks to nimbleprop; thanks Mac. Bottle is from 2007.

a - Pours a black color with on head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of roasted malts, whiskey, oak, and dark fruits.

t - Tastes of dark fruits, whiskey, roasted malts, and mayube some oak. Some heat on it.

m - Medium body and low carbonation.

d - An ok RIS, but too hot for me. Would give another shot if it had some more time on it.

2.2/5  rDev -42.4%

A: The pour is black, as I had expected from the name, and there is no head or carbonation to speak of.

S: The nose is incredibly roasty with some acidity and coffee. Those are the "good" traits. The other aromas include: ethanol, burnt plastic, and rubber cement.

T: The solvent and alcohol party continues on the palate. A bit of chocolate to go along with the roast and coffee attack. Soy sauce, plastic, alcohol, and more alcohol round things out.

M: The body is medium with a alcohol heat and just about no carbonation.

D: Blech, no thanks, Mikkeller. Not very much in terms of redeeming qualities about this beer.

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a jet black color and a completely thick consistency. There was an inch of tan-colored, foamy/creamy, long-lasting head. Very good lacing.

S: A big aroma of coffee, malt, a bit of vanilla, and alcohol.

T: Tasted of coffee, first and foremost, with malt, a little hops, and vanilla. The alcohol wasn't as prominent as I would have thought. Still, a tasty beer.

M: Lots of carbonation with a slick finish. Full-bodied.

D: An immensely drinkable beer.

3.9/5  rDev +2.1%

Black and almost no head, spare a thin brown ring around the edge. Thin, wispy foamy white shapes float around the middle.

Sweet, dark sugar, honey and vanilla mixes with black coffee and dark chocolate. Somewhat dry, but at the same time it comes off as a bit sweet.

Dark sugar and honey in the taste, with a touch of coffee and vanilla. Mild bitterness, possibly from the roasted malts and even a bit of a hop presence.

Nice, smooth mouthfeel without being to cloying or thick. The only down side is the ABV.

PIB 7.16.2010.

One finger brown head, medium dissipation with significant lacing. Dark brown opaque body, no visible carbonation. Pretty complex nose, coffee forward, a bit of chocolate, quite a bit of roast malt, with some sweetness (the honey?) for balance. Taste mirrors the nose, leading to a pretty bitter finish. Mouthfeel is quite full, not a lot of effervescence. One of the more aggressive stouts I've had in a while, need to be careful re drinkability at this ABV, this shit will kick your ass, alcohol very prominent. A very powerful, and complex, RIS.

3.63/5  rDev -5%

Best by code of 1/7/12, I think this one has been in my cellar for about 2 years. Pour is moderately flat, cork came out without a pop. Very little foam and just leaves an oily sheen on top. Color is deep black with very little light penetration.

Pungent nose is filled with alcohol and heavy dark fruits - currants, blackberries and figs. Black, strong coffee as well as lots of burnt toast, roast, cocoa powder and marshmallow sweetness.

Sweet coffee binge on the initial flavor...like mixing a half and half of Nestle Quick and wickedly strong coffee. Alcohol level is high and almost tastes more like a liqueur than a beer. Dark fruit is more evident as it warms, but is not as big as in the nose. This beast of a beer borders on going over the top, but never quite crosses the line. Lack of carbonation is a bit of a bummer, but it is not as missed as it would be in most other beers. Dont think I would buy it again at such a steep price point, but glad I got to try it.

1.7/5  rDev -55.5%

I struggled with the cork for a while and found that there wasn't a great deal of pressure in the bottle; it soon came out without even a nun's-fart worth of expulsion.

Jet black and no head formation to speak of. Smelled of coffee (coffee grounds, even), vanilla, dried fruit, red licorice and alcohol. Slight smokiness.

Tasted pretty much as it smelled, and I found Black Hole far too sweet to be drinkable. In an attempt to trick myself into enjoying it I tried to put it into context with similarly sweet drinks like port or dessert wines but without the acidity it didn't hold up. The lactic, dairy-creamer attributes were off-putting as well. Mouthfeel was thick and oily with very little carbonation.

It's rare that I don't finish a beer unless I spill it on myself or pass out without drinking it (in which case I'll finish it the next morning). But the two of us were grimacing with every sip. I'm still looking forward to trying their other stuff, and I know they are sought-after for their challenging and experimental beers. I'll just have to concede this particular challenge.

4.53/5  rDev +18.6%

Hm, I love it when this happens - Pours with at first only a few soap bubbles with evolves to a very fined thin tan ehad and some lace. Color is an opaque black with hints of brown ( duh, head) and some bits of tan sediment in suspension. Aroma is dark ripe fruit, old leather, black loamy earth, fecundity, an stuff ya ain't supposed to know about. Taste is quite different - rich, dark malts with coffees from europe and asia, vanillas from got knows where, and sinful sweetness with just enough bitterness to offset it. Body is velvety, full, round, and waiting to be enjoyed like a dangerous fruit I have in mind heh heh. Finish is a fascinating contrast between exquisite and coarse, not too long and proly not a session unless ur into gettin hauled off. Although it's all I can do to not slurp the bitch.

A-pours a dark black liquid, not quite opaque, with a dense milk chocolate colored head and good lacing left.

S-a little ashy up front, roasted coffee, lots of milk chocolate take over, black malts, hints of citrus to balance.

T-huge roasted malts, slighlty burnt coffee dominates throughout, a hint of dark chocolate, lots of bitterness from the coffee, a good bit of heat in the back.

M-smooth and soft on the palate, full thick body, low carbonation, so chewy but slides down the back of the throat.

D-not a bad imperial stout, huge but lots of roasted coffee and bitterness. definitely some heat in the finish, not fusel at all just heat.

3.4/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This is the 2007 release, I grabbed 2 bottles then, when I was a young 'un on this site. I've sat on them since, until today, when I decided to drink one.

Pouring jet black with no head, there's a few dark brown bubbles capping this beer. No lacing either. This is black as pitch. The nose is rather intense, with a strong burnt malt character, reminiscent of the Mikkeller Black, but much better. Mildly acrid and burnt, there's a strong cocoa and coffee character, intense, like a chocolate syrup with a burnt crust. Sweetness is rather high, this smells decent. As it warms up, it gets to be more balanced, with the harshness of the burn giving way to a more fruity oxidation.

The palate opens with a big burnt malt character with a robust bitterness, with a moderately fruity character, with raisins and plums. Coffee and cocoa appear mid-palate, working surprisingly well with the fruity oxidation. The oxidation does add a lot to this beer. Full in body and low in carbonation, the finish on this beer is long, long, LONG. Lingering bitterness, fruity oxidation and coffee are all present. Alcohol is fairly well hidden too. This tastes a lot better than it smells, and I'm rather surprised by the fact. There isn't enough flavor to make up for the ABV that's a lot higher than it needs to be. Also, as I drink the rest of my bottle, I find the soy sauce character growing, and an increasing sulfur/phosphor-like acidity on the finish growing, reminding me of what it's like to inhale a just-extinguished matchstick.

Black Hole from Mikkeller ApS