Black Hole - Mikkeller ApS

Black HoleBlack Hole

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

Russian Imperial Stout |  13.10% ABV

Brewed at De Proefbrouwerij.

Ingredients: Water, malt, roasted barley, flaked oats, dark cassanade, honey, hops, coffee, vanilla and ale yeast.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-24-2006)
3.9/5  rDev +2.1%

12.7 oz corked and foiled bottle courtesy of my main man at Shelton Bros, Ron.

Pour: opaque, oily black/brown under a cm of brown foam that fizzles to nothing.

Nose: burnt, smoky malts, bitter cocoa, dark red fruits, molasses, and a hefty alcohol presence

Taste: black cherry, fig, raisin, bitter chocolate, burnt malts and an ephemeral boozy burn.

Feel: Booze has a thinning effect, carbonation is light and velvety.

Drinkability/Overall: A fine RIS, though I didn't pick up the coffee behind all the bitter malts and booze. A bit bigger than it needs to be, but a well-constructed beer nonetheless.

4.4/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle: Pours with a pitch black body and a tan head. Fair lacing is precnt. Nose of coffee, dark fruit and roasted malt . Flavour is of coffee, chocolate, roasted, malt and liqourice. The texture is oily. Full bodied. It has a slightly bitter finish with some alcohol.

2.2/5  rDev -42.4%

I got this in a trade with RustyDiamond. Thanks Rusty!

This pours from foil wrapped, caged and corked 12.7oz bottle a pitch black with a 1 finger head of tannish foam. Good lacing.

The smell has notes of roasted malt, fruit, alcohol, and something else in the background.

The taste is very strong! Roasted malt, berry flavours, and a huge alcohol presence. I can't taste any coffee or at least, it's not strong enough in flavour for my palate to be noticeable. Damn that alcohol. Burning in the throat and very warming after the swallow. There goes the drinkability for me.

Further tiny sips in and I think I'm getting some molasses and some candy sugar and a weird flavour that's putting me off even more(?) than the alcohol? There's also a somewhat citric sour taste that's just starting to show up.

Ok, I just can't finish my glass...the flavours here are a real mess, imho, and the alc is just *too* much. Other notes: The body is on the thin side, the carbonation is light and it finishes on the sour(not in a good way) side. This will definitely be a one of for me.

2.63/5  rDev -31.2%

Poured from a 12.7oz bottle into a Brooklyn Brewery gold rimmed glass.

Pours pitch black with a thin, tan, lingering head. Pretty nice looking. Nose is astringent with some burnt sugar and alcohol. Taste is slightly smokey and somewhat roasty, hoppy to an extent, with a weird rubber and alcohol aftertaste. Mouthfeel is ok, a little under carbonated and somewhat viscous.

Not a fan. Seems like Mikkeller tried to do too much with this one. I do not see how this is a coffee stout. Unfortunately dashed some pretty high expectations.

2.5/5  rDev -34.6%

A- Poured a from a 12oz bottle into a Brooklyn flute. Pours a pitch black with no light penetrating.

S- Ton of malt, ton of alcohol. This is a very potent nose with a lot of malt and grapey notes. I don't really get any coffee at all.

T- Too much! There is too much trying to go on in this beer for anything to shine through. A huge amount of dark malt, coffee grinds, and alcohol. There is a syrah grape coming through on this too. There is a distinct latex type after taste as if I had liked a super-ball.

M- Not too bad here. Decent carbonation and mouthfeel but nothing overly exciting.

D- Sorry there is too much going on in here for me to want much more than what I am currently drinking. I think they should really try to focus this beer a bit more.

2.6/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

375ml Bottle
$10.99
West Lakeview

13.1% abv.

Mikkeller Black Hole pours, well, like the name implies. Not a trace of light comes through even when backlit. The mocha head grew to a hefty one plus finger billowy head. As the head slowly fell to a respectable cap it left patchy lacing on its way. Each drink leaves drink lines piled on top of the last. This is an excellent looking stout!

The aroma is loaded with dark berries. This is supposedly brewed with coffee but the only coffee I can pick up is stale. The berries were inviting upfront when a little colder but as this stout warms there's the unmistakable aroma of burnt rubber wafting through the air. The rubber combined with an overpowering alcohol presence leaves me wishing I cracked open something else for the evening...Coming back to the aroma. As it warms even more the rubber and alcohol are still there but fall to the back and cocoa powder comes forward which improves things but doesn't make up for the burnt rubber.

The flavor, while better than the aroma, still falls short of expectations. The berries play a big role in the throughout but I just can't get around the burnt rubber and overabundance of alcohol. There's really not much to say about the flavor except it's just not very good!

The mouthfeel falls far short as well! It's watery and thin with huge amounts of alcohol fumes rising through the mouth and nose. Now don't get me wrong. I believe a solid shot of alcohol often enhances big stouts such as this. Unfortunately the alcohol crosses the line in this case.

I wouldn't drink this again and there's no way I would ever recommend it to anyone. I'm going to finish the bottle for the sake of keeping an open mind but this is a lost cause.

The initial pour was good and I was anxious for a drink, it was downhill after that. This is my second beer from Mikkeller. The first being Beer Geek Breakfast. I thought that was underwhelming and was hesitant to try another Mikkeller brew. Unfortunately, I bit the bullet and bought Black Hole. It not only left me wanting something different but put a dent in my wallet as well!

3.78/5  rDev -1%

Poured from bomber into BMS mug...

Beautiful, oily-black pour. 3-finger, praline-colored head with root beer float consistency. Deep dark espresso body.

Alcohol, malt and yeast present in abundance but does not provide unbalanced aroma.

Taste has a root beer, alcohol and malt forefront with very austere, slate-like hoppiness. Alcohol becomes a bit of a hinderance as it warms.

It's a clean mouthfeel but is quite viscous.

Definitely a sipper; as it warms it becomes tougher to drink because of the strong alcohol vapors.

4.7/5  rDev +23%

This beer is amazing.

Sampled as a gift at work the other night, this is such a delicate stout. Pours a magnificent black-leather hue, with a frothy coffee head and substantial lacing. The nose is hard to pick up on at first, but a few good whiffs reveal an underlying espresso note to an already beefy dark roasty/toasty malt scent. Massively complex already, but now for the taste. Enough balls to back up the Imperial Stout claim, yet subdued enough to challenge any palate. I'm reminded of the Allagash Black or Ommegang Chocolate Indulgence, yet a complexity that reminds me of my first few Bordeaux's. What fun in a small amount of brew. Each sip reveals new tones, from top soil to rich Tiramisu to truffle butter to English Toffee, this is a rich delicious beer. Finishes all too well, with a lack of resinous or oily mouthfeel, I wish I could afford more. Simply delicious.

I've always said some of the best breweries can belt out a high abv brew & mask that abv...
Mikkeller is no exception.

4.45/5  rDev +16.5%

I am not really sure where I obtained this bottle, it might have been the Black Booty BIF, or a random trade, who knows, but anyway it has been in my fridge long enough, waiting for me to take a try and I was not about to make it wait any longer. I moved it over to the on deck circle last night to get it ready for what was going to be a fun right. Let it sit out and warm up a bit so it could be at just the right temp. Served the corked and caged, and foil wrapped 375ml bottle in a Middle Ages imperial pint glass at cellar temperature.

Appearance - Popped the cork on this one with little in the way of fan fare and poured the inky black oil looking substance into the glass. It was really quite thick and lifeless as it poured in, reminded me a lot of older viscosity in the appearance a deep rich black color that no light was able to shine through, this stuff was straight out of the depths man and nothing was going to escape. A very small thin layer of tan bubbles formed but quickly disappeared as well, leaving this thick oil liquid looking naked with no foam or head to speak of. No side glass lace at all. Not sure, what to make of it at this point, but it must go on to see what kind of a stout this really is.

Smell - The aroma was a cornucopias of smells. So complex and full I do not even know where to start. As I first poured in into the glass immediately, what came up was a nice roasted coffee smell that was mixed in with a good amount of licorice. Very dark aroma as everything coming out of this seemed to dig it into a bigger hole. Now some deep dark chocolate was starting to come through. Big notes here of chocolate. A touch of vanilla and oak coming through now, not sure, if there is any barrel in its history, but perhaps maybe some chips. Another wave of coffee coming through with a deep brandy like alcohol smell. So very rich and full. Some tartness now, is it plums, raisins, figs? Its dark, perhaps even a tart cherry flavor. Really quite extraordinary and very different.

Taste - The flavor followed along right where the aroma left off. Hugely rich and complex this was one of the most interesting stouts I have ever had the pleasure of tasting. I know this is billed as a coffee stout, but it really does not come across as such. There are definite hints of coffee riddled throughout this one, which is for sure, however it was a deep rich dark and bitter chocolate that started to steal the show for me right away. Extremely tart in the forefront, which threw me for a bit, was it plums, cherries? Not sure but it was a nice little dark fruit flavor that evolved into a spectacular sweet licorice and caramel that just sooth and completely melded with the alcohol. The bourbon like alcohol taste did soo much too really bring this one to the forefront, it was amazingly complex and full, really an eye opener here for sure. The warming was pronounced and really, a stout lovers stout as it was quite a bit unusual. The finish was kinda dry and drawn out with a long taste of licorice and caramel and a final touch of coffee, very nice indeed.

Mouthfeel - The feel was a little different then what I was expecting. There was really no carbonation in this one at all, none at all. Which to be honest was a little weird and made it drink more like a syrup then a shake if that makes any sense. There was a really smooth and creamy like base to it, which really helped it go down and brought about a good deal of richness, especially in the finish. Really, a quality drinks here.

Drinkability - There was hardly a touch of alcohol noticeable in this one, and definitely nothing even close to the 13% it was billed at. Remarkably, smooth and complex I could have easily sat down and had another one of these with no problem. A really interesting and complex creation that begged to be sipped in bigger and bigger quantities.

Overall, this was a tremendously good beer. I was not sure what I was getting into when I tried it, but it was remarkable how good it was. I would have loved to have had another and will do my best to get some more. If this is around you seek it out, it is definitely worth it!

4.63/5  rDev +21.2%

This beer was the last one on the shelf.And have not seen one since? Big tan head with good lacing. The nose had fresh ground coco powder and dark roast coffee. The taste: Rich espresso,fresh toasted bread, soft caramel and a mild hop bite.Also I get a roasted nutty flavor that fades into a smoky dry finish.This bottle cost me $10.99 and worth every penny!!

4.03/5  rDev +5.5%

375 ml bottle, corked and caged, silver foiled, neat label.

Pours a deep opaque black, thin tan head forms, leaves behind some solid lace, settles to a nice layer. Smell is wacky, alcohol, chocolate, piney resin, spices hops, roast, sherry, dark fruits, crazy intense. Taste is raw and insane, raw hops, pine, spicy alchol, chocolate, roasted malt, alcohol, dark fruits, rough but you can tell this will hold up for many years. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, almost syrupy feeling, low carbonation, warm, pretty crazy stuff.

4.38/5  rDev +14.7%

$10.04 from Liquor Baron on East Wash. 12.7 FL, 13.1%. No date listed on the bottle or cork.

Appearance: Dark brown, almost mahogany with a medium brown lacing that swirls and swishes. Nice looking.

Aroma: Lightly boozy. Coffee is the obvious culprit but dark fruits like plums are here too. We also have some tobacco.

Taste: Bitter coffee and bittersweet dark chocolate balanced by sugary sweet booze. Finish bitter and hoppy.

Mouthfeel: Wonderful. Boozy but balance. Sweet and bitter but with a dry tangy finish. Much lighter body than I would expect.

Drinkability: Great. This drinks like a sessional beer. This puppy is dangerous in the extreme. One bottle and I feel the booze but I'm not put off by too much sugar or body and would love another body.

2.35/5  rDev -38.5%

Poured from a silver foiled, caged and corked 12.7 oz bottle

A: Pours black under a smallish brown head. OK retention and spotty lace.

S: Very different. Funky, really, it is almost a rubbery aroma, but I think it is more of a funk. Some light chocolate and coffee pop up.

T: Tastes very spicy, like a very peppery dry-hop. Roasted malt sticks out a little in the tail end. This one is really warm. Again, I'm getting a rubbery like twang to this. I'm not getting a lot of coffee, what is there just seems to be very burnt, and very little stout character. Definitely some lactic acid character, some of the aftertaste is pickle-like.

M/D: Full bodied, low carbonation. Low drinkability. I don't know if I picked up a bad bottle or what, but this one is just so off to me. The alcohol is not tasted, but it is so harsh it burns my sinuses, something I have never experienced from any alcoholic beverage. I admit, I had high expectations for this one, but man, it is nearly undrinkable at times. Hopefully, just a bad bottle. I have another that I will hang on to, but I'm not expecting much from it. If it tastes much different, I will revise this review. I am really shocked on how much I do not like this considering how much I had convinced myself I was going to love it.

3.2/5  rDev -16.2%

Thanks to ncvbc for this trade.

Pours from a 12.7oz bottle, on the cork it has the date 8/14/11, so I imagine this one would have been good for quite a while and could have been cellared.

Pours black, no light being able to show through, not even seeing any ruby hues on the edges, guess this beer does take after a black hole, haha. No head and no lacing.

Smell is quite malty, roasted, some hints of caramel, dark fruit is also present, strong coffee nose, picking up an alcohol scent though.

Whoa, taste has an alcoholic bite to it right off the bat but is quickly melded with the malt and coffee tones, quite a bit of spiciness kicks around as well. Very sticky and syrupy in the mouth, the strong alcohol presence though does detract a bit from the overall taste though, be warned this beer is pretty flat which I think also hurts it.

I retried this beer on 12/25/2010 and pretty much everything above still stands, even the flatness and strong alcohol presence, almost three years of extra age on it did very little to improve it.

4.35/5  rDev +13.9%

I like the cork on this beer, it looks like rubber, making no lame attempt to imitate real cork.

Releasing it reveals a viscous pure black liquid with a smallish tan cap on top. The glass is completely covered by tan sheets of lace. The aroma is intense with roasty coffee, dark chocolate, piney PacNW hops and leather. A huge dose of roasted barley and black malt mixes with an abundance of citrusy, piney hop flavors in the taste. A good alcohol kick is in there too. Some Rye bread and soy sauce emerge with warmth. The mouthfeel is very thick and lightly carbonated. The finish is long and bitter with hops and acrid black malt flavors.

This is a heady, yet enjoyable stout. The 13.1% is evident but not overpowering. I was pleased with the high hop profile. Try this beer.

2.88/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Shared a bottle that my friend bought with a couple people, poured into a snifter at room temperature (or very slightly below).

Very, very, dark, just shows a little brown at the very edge when held up to a strong light. Some cocoa colored head recedes pretty quickly and leaves no lacing.

Smell is very boozy, lots of fusel alcohols along with dark, roasted malts and maybe a little coffee (might have been imagining that). The smell is so dominated by the alcohol, though, that it is hard to enjoy much of anything else.

Taste is less boozy than the nose, but it is still the dominating characteristic. Malts shine through a bit more, still not much coffee, which i was looking forward to. Pretty average.

Not too thick, which was nice, enough carbonation to keep it from feeling still. Pretty hard to drink because of all the alcohol (both real and perceived). Glad my friend bought it because it wouldn't have been worth the price tag. If you have it, cellar it. If you see it, pass for something better and cheaper. There are many RIS readily available that fit both characteristics.

2.88/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I like the presentation of this beer; the label itself looks cool and the silver foil makes it look classy. There is a date of 14/08/11 on the plastic cork--I'm guessing it's the best by date.

The pour reveals a dark, robust stout with an intense coffee colored inch of foam.

The aroma is a little seltzer-like, roasted barley, chocolate malts, semi-sweet chocolate, coffee, and earthy hops. There's also a tad of spices which are either from the yeast or hops which also combine with the alcohol. As the beer settles in the glass the chocolate and coffee becomes more pronounced but that "green" and spicy aroma lingers. It is also somewhat husky or grainy. A little bit of dark fruits try to make an appearance, as well some chocolate covered cherries and cocoa. There's a few things going on with this one, I'm just not convinced. It seems too young and a little rough.

The first sip was rough. Lots of bitter chocolate, some coffee, roasted barley and lots of alcohol, especially in the finish. Some of the grainy aromas are also in the taste. As it warms up there are some dark fruits and cherries, the taste improves somewhat. A little tangy as well.

Mouthfeel is decent, smooth on the tongue but just a little heat on the finish.

Did not enjoy this one.

4.13/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured from a 12.7oz bottle into a St. Feuillien chalice.

Listed as 13.1% abv on the bottle.

A: This one sneaks out of the bottle a pure shade of pitch friggin' black. A vigorous pour yields a creamy, dark tan, 1/2 finger head that disappears quickly and leaves some minor specks of lace.

S: BIG nose of espresso, dark fruit, chocolate, and cherry. Along for the ride is some blackened malt, tropical fruit, and some nose clearing alcohol vapors.

T: Tangy dark fruit right off the bat that's followed closely by some very bitter, yet flavorful, espresso, dark chocolate, blackened malt, chocolate covered cherry, bitter hops, and palate cleansing alcohol heat.

M: Big and bitter. Hot alcohol, bitter espresso, and huge hops that are, somehow, given a slightly smoother edge by a chocolate-y creaminess that creeps in as it comes up to temp.

D: Excellent melding of the flavors and nose. Flaming hot alcohol comes on very strong the longer it stays in the glass and warms the nostrils, tongue, throat, esophagus, and stomach. Awesome!

3.35/5  rDev -12.3%

Pours a very dark brown in color. There's a very nice half inch frothy head that sits atop. A little thin on the pour, but looks good in the glass.
Smell is a bit of chocolate, and some bittering hops. The hops seem to dominate the show and not let the other flavors come through. Mouthfeel is pretty nice and creamy. Plenty of beer in the states here that our at least comparable in the style. Glad I got to try, but not my cup of tea.

4.35/5  rDev +13.9%

This is my second beer from Mikkeler the first being Beer Geek Breakfast. The beer poured a dark black with a huge, frothy tan head. The head stuck around for a while and the lacing was great. The aroma was coffee and roasted malts. The taste was again of coffee with surprising tastes of vanilla, chocolate and a almost winter green hint in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel was heavy with little carbonation and I could barely make out the alcohol despite the high ABV. Overall a fantastic beer. Much better than beer geek breakfast!!

4.38/5  rDev +14.7%

My first from Mikkeller, have been looking foward to this for a while.Looks like an black hole. no light getting thru this beer. Retains a creamy, frothy, 1 finger head for a short while, lots of lacing before the dark cap gets sucked into the black hole. alcohol,epsresso,kalua-like smells, dark roasted malts,slight hints of vanilla,bitter chocolate. Flavor to match-a Double Mocha espresso Russian Imperial stout if you will. I want one of these at Starbucks. Alcohol burn is felt at the end and deeep in the throat, but this also lightens the feel, warming my stomach for another sip.
not sticky sweet, rich, biting and delicious. I absolutley loved this stout.
Reviewed my second bottle I bought a year later, wow,--complex,smooth, alcohol had settled down to produced a completly smooth Imperial stout. I wish Mikkeller was more readily avaliable

3.88/5  rDev +1.6%

Pours a three finger brown head that fades slowly to a thin layer leaving some lace. Black opaque color. Light-medium carbonation and heavy bodied. Coffee-alcohol nose. Flavor is roasted coffee and alcohol. Lingering burnt coffee aftertaste. Pricey at $10.09 for a 12.7oz bottle from John's Marketplace Portland, OR.
Label has the ABV at 13.1%.

4.33/5  rDev +13.4%

12.7 fluid ounce green bottle marked 13.1% alcohol.

Pours syrupy pitch black. Little head, carbonation, or lace at this strength. Rich espresso, sweet chocolate, and dark-fruit aroma with big heady alcohol vapors. The flavor lacks the chocolate sweetness, features dark-roasted coffee and charred bread notes instead. These meld into a very strong medicinal prune alcohol finish that somewhat numbs the mouth and burns the throat. Thick and weighty in the mouth; rather creamy with spare carbonation. Somewhat undone by its high strength, but remains a nice beer to linger over on a very long winter night.

4.45/5  rDev +16.5%

Tasted with 5 other imperial stouts. Pours deep black with a small brown head. The aroma is sweet with caramel, chocolate and some mild coffee. The taste has all those plus a bit of wood and a definate alcohol presence. The aftertaste lingers with a bit of bitterness. First tried in a small american style pint glass. This got better poured in to a Duvel glass. The only thing keeping this from being perfect was the fact I had already had 5 strong stouts. I am going to try this on its own for a final rating. Definately on of the best beers I have ever had.

4.25/5  rDev +11.3%

14/08/11 was printed on the cork. It poured a very dark brown with mahogany edges and a fine, brown cap of foam that thinned to a ring and skim of bubbles. Decent head retention, some spotty lacing. The aroma was quite hoppy, with some powdery grapefruit character. Caramel and roast, with a bit of chocolate, were hiding in the background. Moderate bitterness with lots of sweet, malty caramel. Grapefruit hops and chocolate filled out the flavour with a mellow alcohol finish. Heavy body with fine, well-integrated carbonation. Carbonation was a bit low and it had a creamy texture. Plenty of warmth and a bit of dryness from the dark malts. Tasty stuff! Great texture and easy drinking considering the abv. Alcohol was pronounced, but was short of being hot. Still, some time might do this one a bit of good.

Black Hole from Mikkeller ApS