Centennial Single Hop IPA - Mikkeller ApS

Centennial Single Hop IPACentennial Single Hop IPA

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-24-2006)
4.25/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Single bottle poured into a tulip glass. A murky orange-brown amber brew with a finger of frothy beige head that breaks quickly but leaves ample lacing on the glass. Aroma is sweet malts but with more robust hops than some other Mikkeller single hop IPAs, grapefruit and orange rinds, a whiff of pine needles or menthol cough drop, and a persistent sweetness like cotton candy. Indeed, this is simultaneously sweet and resinous, a solid showcase for this hop, which often translates onto my palate as "grapefruit-orange cotton candy", citric and fruity yet with an interesting sweetness as well. The sweetness deploys itself early and the citrus rinds late, along with some black tea tannins, green grass, and pine more assertive than on the nose. The malts are prominent but not dominant, delivering a toffee biscuit vibe. This is a tasty IPA, better balanced than some of the other Mikkellers that skew rather malty. The robust hopping gets top bill but the malts are solid in support.

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

3.92/5  rDev +1%

3.96/5  rDev +2.1%

09/08/11 at RnH, NYC. As one who normally avoids anything that has hops in the title, I saw this & figured with all the hype around the Mikkeller name, I'd give it a shot.

I have had some surprisingly pleasant experiences with some of the Firestone Walker stuff & that led me to believe that I might be dissing the baby with the bathwater...literally. If the folks at FW could manage some seriously upfront hops that didn't offend my delicate sensitivities, then why not Mikkeller?

My trust was not misplaced. Not only did I find this to be a most enjoyable taste, but it sent on a quest to find more "single hop" brews, if for no other reason than to know my enemy.

At the time of this writing, some 3 years after the fact, the acute impressiveness has been muted somewhat, but one thing is for sure, it convinced me that in the right hands hops need not be offensive. I guess one could say I was a "hop-ist" but have seen the lite.

I still find hop abuse to be both silly & offensive (I hate wasting money on undrinkable, non-refreshing mistakes) but at least now, once I find a brewer I can trust I'll dabble.

Thanks Mikkeller.

3.7/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours amber, a bit hazy, one finger light beige head, decent retention.
Smell of grapefruit, sweet oranges, caramel, faint tropical fruit and peach, not too strong pine, faint biscuit, some floral honey. I expect lots of fruity goodness, maybe some extra sweetness.
Hop punch in the front, a bitter pine resiny steamroller. Fruitiness is very faint, leaving some grapefruit and faint peach to show itself, even the caramel biscuity malts are hard to detect, though some sugary sweetness is felt, especially in the aftertaste. Middle and finish pumped with green leafy notes, grass, hop oils, dried flowers, very bitter.
Medium body and carbonation, nice sweet and bitter combo, even if not so equal.
A bit too rough and sacrifices some of the nice Centennial flavours. A solid rugged AIPA.

4.5/5  rDev +16%

4.38/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This is one weird bottle of ale I have here. I will certainly by more to see if it was supposed to be that way?? As I was pouring I noticed a whole mess of dead yeast or something. Lots of it. And it is kinetic - alive and moving all over. Otherwise the appearance is pretty nice - an orangy brown ipa color with a beautiful monster head.

The aroma is a medium strong hoppy. Nice. The taste is a nice balance of very flavorful stuff - malts and loads of hops. A bit bitter and dark like a Scottish or something, but nice.

The aftertaste is a nice lingering tang on the tongue.

It's cool that this is a Belgian brewer coming full circle and doing an American style, and they did it well. I need to find out about all the crud floating around - there really was a lot - I should have been more careful with my pour.

Centennial Single Hop IPA from Mikkeller ApS