Big Worse - Mikkeller ApS

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

American Barleywine |  12.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Brewed at De Proefbrouwerij.

Ingredients: Water, malt (pils and caramunich), candy sugar, hops (nugget, cascade and centennial) and ale yeast.

(Beer added by: Viggo on 11-25-2007)

westcoastbeerlvr, Nov 15, 2011
1.45/5  rDev -61.6%

This was the worst beer I ever had hands down. I honestly have nothing positive to say about it. Poured a murky brown/rust color. Smelled of sweet malt and tart fruits. I thought maybe the name "Big Worse" was them being ironic or clever but apparently they were just being up front with everyone. This beer is the WORST beer ever. I almost felt bad for my sink for pouring it in there. I would have dumped it outside but I didnt have any weeds in my yard to kill at the time.

FAIL!!!

dcloeren, Jun 17, 2011

bkeller04, Feb 07, 2014

kevdemers, Sep 11, 2013

kwalrus13, Jan 21, 2012
1.7/5  rDev -55%

Appears a deep murky blood orange red brown in color with a large beige head dwindles down to fine even lacing. Aroma is tart with ripened fruit soaked in raw fusel alcohol. Abundant hop notes intertwined in the luscious malt character brings the aromatics around full character. Flavor is unsynchronized with raw hop bitterness, astringent alcohol, and overly sweet candy sugar additions might as well package this one in forties and sell in the 7/11 down the street. This is extreme beer at it's worse, might as well call this one the skullsplitter. After a half glass my eyes are blurring and my temples are buzzing, I feel like I just got done reinsulating my attic as my skin becomes warm and flush and my nose burns from the alcohol fumes. As you can see I'm not going to add to the hype of this brewery, I will give their other brews a shot. Mouthfeel is astringent in every aspect coats the palate with earthy hop oils, hot alcohol, and overtly sweet sugars in the malt profile causing me to want to go scrape my tongue. Literally causes my gag reflex to work, so let's motion to kick this one out of the UN of beers. Drinkability is shite the worst beer I've had in a long time, by the way nice synthetic cork maybe those brewers can use this one as a substitute butt plug, because this beer tastes like ass.

WVbeergeek, Mar 06, 2008
1.78/5  rDev -52.9%

A: Pours a murky brown color. No head, and no lace.
S: Very sweet malt in the nose. Smoke and moldy dry wood and ash aromas. Vinegar and alcohol. Unimpressive.
T: Cloyingly sweet malt. Some dry dark fruits. Moldy wood, rubber, and ask. Lots of vinegar and alcohol again.
M/D: A medium body with a dead a lifeless carbonation. The sweetness, lack of carbonation, and alcohol makes this very hard to drink.

Avoid. I did not enjoy this. Very unpleasant. I have had this twice (I bought it only once). Both times have been drain pours.

champ103, May 30, 2009
2.05/5  rDev -45.8%

I had been eyeing this beer for awhile so when I saw it on sale for $6 I snatched it. Big mistake. Reddish-brown cor with no head and no carbonation whatsoever. Smells oxidized, old, like really old cake or something. The taste is cardboard, sugar, just not good at all. Mikkeller is just too hit or miss for me with the misses outweighing the hits by far.

ArrogantB, Aug 24, 2011
2.23/5  rDev -41%

2009 vintage poured into a snifter.

A: Pours flat, with a dark caramel with a red hue. Literally no carbonation.

S: Oxidation reigns supreme, with strong fuselage notes. Getting some bad church wine, grapes on this.

T: Strong red grapes, tastes more like a wine than a beer. Grainy texture to it. Bleh, oh man this is bad.

M: Medium mouthfeel, alcohol is prevalent. Strong sweet finish that coats the mouth.

O: Total bummer. I found this "gem" in the back of a cooler at Ledgers with the price tag showing that they recieved it in Feb of 2009. I knew this was an old beer when I got into it, but figured if it's sitting back in the fridge it would be worth a shot. Man was I wrong. Got about 2 sips in before I drain poured it. All well, live and learn. Worth the risk.

CommanderOfAwesome, May 12, 2013
2.3/5  rDev -39.2%

appearance: opaque, purple hue. no head, no lacing.

Smell: sweet sweet smell. No hops.

Taste: tastes like I'm drinking grain. super sweet. No hops to balance out the sweetness. not to my liking

Mouthfeel: heavy. Hot from the alcohol. Thick and syrupy

Drinkability: a sipper. I didn't like it

Squelch, Jan 28, 2010
2.33/5  rDev -38.4%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Thanks, Craig.

A: Pours a nearly still, clear amber-ruby body.

S: Strong oxidation (sherry and cardboard), pine, earth, toffee.

T: Tastes much the same: here, sherry dominates and melds with toffee against a strong, clashing bitterness of pine and earth. There's a mild flavor of orange rind.

M: This is heavy and mildly boozy.

O: I'm always happy when someone brings a Mikkeller beer to a tasting. I can't think of a more consistently awful brewery, and I feel I don't rate harshly enough most of the time. This brewery is a good way to bring that average town. Usually $15 a pop for bottled garbage. Still, this one is unpleasant but not totally irredeemable. For Mikkeller, it's even good.

Arbitrator, Sep 24, 2011
2.41/5  rDev -36.2%

Bottle courtesy of beastmaster. Pours cloudy opaque brown with no head. Aroma of biscuits, toffee, malt, brown sugar, molasses, hints of vanilla and bourbon even though not bourbon barrel aged. Taste is watery big bready malt and booze. Turpentiney, and thinner than expected. Lots of chewey sediment. No carbonation. Vodka burn. Was not ready for this after Chocolate Rain and some other beers tonight.

BMMillsy, Jun 21, 2013
2.42/5  rDev -36%

Poured into a small whiskey glass. Small head with a hazey, ruby coloreed body. No light permitted to make it through. The aroma is of unferemented sugars and plum fruit. The taste is complete unferemented sugars they overpower everything. It tastes like someone tried to add as much ferementables into this brew, but didn't have enough fire power with the yeast to get the finish. This is the first I have tried from Mikkeller and I'm not looking to try anything else from him soon.

phishgator, Jul 28, 2010
2.42/5  rDev -36%

375ml caged and corked bottle. Purchased at Green's in Atlanta and cellared for a few years.

A- Pours a MURKY brown/ruby. No head, no carbonation, nothing.
S- Malty sweetness, figs, rum-soaked raisins. Some fusel alcohol.
T- Booze. Some faint residual malt sweetness, but all alcohol.
M- Thin, weak, watery. No carbonation.
D- None. This has become an alcohol bomb and drinking is a chore. Drain-pour.

Overall - Age has not been kind to this brew. It gets slightly bearable as it warms, but not enough to even think about finishing my glass. Too much heat.

mrandypandy, Dec 06, 2010

Resuin, Mar 04, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -33.9%

Pours a copper color into a pint glass. Small head, but good lacing. The first thing I notice about the smell is that it's a bit boozy, but it's not that strong. There is also some caramel and pear (?) as well. The candy sugar is strong in the taste, but there is an alcohol taste that begins to dominate as the beer warms. Initially I thought I could get used to it, but about halfway through I still wasn't enjoying this beer. The mouthfeel is good, but the taste just make this not that drinkable of a beer. It's not worth the price in my book.

Jablonski, May 04, 2009
2.5/5  rDev -33.9%

Poured into a glass from a bottle

A - Settled to a reddish brown color with a white solid head that dissappears quickly

S - Strong scent of alcohol with some fruity overtones

T - Strong bitter tastes, not much else

M - Dry, full bodied mouth that didn't agree with me

D - Wasn't impressed with this barley wine, there were others that I liked better

cvfish, Nov 17, 2008
2.53/5  rDev -33.1%

Appearance: Pours a cola brown color without a head; no carbonation means no lacing

Smell: Prunes, leather, some earthy funk

Taste: Brown bread devolving into a pruney funk; a bit of tartness builds, after the swallow and leaves a tannic leathery character in the aftertaste

Mouthfeel: Moderate body, rather flabby, with no carbonation

Overall: Not sure of the age of this bottle as I got it as an extra in a recent trade (cannot remember who sent it) but am rather disappointed in this beer, regardless of bottling date as a Barleywine should hold up better than this one has

brentk56, Jun 24, 2012
2.55/5  rDev -32.5%

* i did not like this beer, and would never buy it*

app: copper amber, not mythical

Smell: smells like an average bw. nothing bad, nothing exciting.

taste: not good, it is thin and weak then iffy hops, then candy "i spiked the abv with sugar" type taste.

mf: fine

drinkable?: a bit, but not worth the fight to keep it down

AndoBrew, Jan 12, 2008
2.73/5  rDev -27.8%

best before 02/07/12

pours a dark burgundy/brown colour with absolutely zero head.

smells sweet, has some fruit, molasses, and alcohol aromas.

taste is okay with some similar characteristics as the smell. didn't find this to have the best balance, with each sip being either too sweet or too boozy. overall kinda disappointed, it was sort of drinkable but not that enjoyable.

fostachild, Dec 08, 2011
2.75/5  rDev -27.2%

A little something to help get over my Cubs going down 0-2 in the NLDS. Into a KBS snifter.

A - Dark amber body with one finger of rock head.

S - A bit yeasty, a lot of black current, and a boatload of alcohol in the nose.

T - Fruit sweetness and tartness (blackberry, pear) are very predominate in the entry, with some drier malt to balence it out. Hops are present, but the alcohol seems to trash my mouth so much that it dominates any hops. I was left with a citrus aftertaste that did not go away, and did not compliment the beer at all.

M - Silky body, that becomes prickly with the alcohol.

D - I love Barleywines, the bigger the better... That being said, this lacked many qualities I like in the style. The malt was to dominated by fruits, and everything was blown away by the alcohol, which to me felt much higher than 12%. Can't say this is an brew I would reach for again.

SammyDavisJrJrJr, Oct 03, 2008
2.75/5  rDev -27.2%

Rickythejeweler, Jun 23, 2013
2.78/5  rDev -26.5%

From Notes:
Pours a hazy red/brown but more on the brown side. Small half inch head with moderate lace.
There are hints of plums and earth in the smell but not much more. Not much going on.
The taste starts with dark malts, fruit, alcohol and some earth. Better than I expected after the smell but not great. A little fizzy in the mouth. Doesn't hide the alcohol too well.
Not on the top of my great barleywines list. I'm not sure what is going on here but this one was a miss.

OBeerMeGreatOne, Dec 18, 2010
2.8/5  rDev -25.9%

From notes:

Pours a very dark, hazy chestnut brown color with slight mahogany edges when held to a light source and a thin yellowish beige head that quickly dissipates without leaving much lacing.

Earthy, leathery malt aroma with subtle earthy hops and faint chocolate but it mostly just smells like sweet booze.

Medium bodied and nicely balanced with a prominent earthy leathery malt character. There are some silky chocolate and toffee notes up front that are countered by a subtle hop bitterness and a very strong hot, boozy alcohol flavor. Sweet with hints of chocolate, toffee, biscuit and caramel but again the alcohol is the prominent flavor and is way too overpowering.

corby112, Jan 06, 2011
2.9/5  rDev -23.3%

375ml corked & caged bottle poured into an Allagsh tulip.

Pours a dark muddy brown with no head at all - I'm really hoping this isn't flat. Nose is Very booze and sweet/malty. Slight raisin and toffee.

Has a very light carbonation, slightly watery on the finish but still a decent body. It's quite sharp and boozy with a noticeable warming sensation. Taste is a bit unpleasant, more like a wine or something than most barleywines. It's ok but I wouldn't seek it out.

kingcrowing, Dec 22, 2009