Draft Bear - Mikkeller ApS

Draft BearDraft Bear

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

American Double / Imperial Pilsner |  8.00% ABV

Brewed at De Proef Brouwerij, Lochristi-Hijfte, Belgium.

Ingredients: Water, malts (pils, carapils and amber), light candy sugar, hops (amarillo and cascade) and lager yeast.

(Beer added by: akorsak on 02-15-2008)
View: Beers (267) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Draft Bear Alström Bros
GClarkage

4.33/5  rDev +8.8%

09/14/09- Purchased at K&L Wine Cellars in Redwood City, CA.

Presentation- 750ml bottle with no freshness info. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Deeper golden yellow in color. Full fluffy one inch plus head with good staying power. Some decent lace trails and light patches left behind.

Smell- Nice and hoppy..some grapefruit and lemon in the mix. Smells like a quality pils nose. Maybe just a touch of grain.

Taste- Tastes right on the borderline of a heavy IPA...make that English IPA, or a light Imperial Pils. Nice and hoppy, but not super intense. Light malt base, not too heavy..very mellow.

Mouthfeel- Lightly creamy, nice lasting grapefruit hopped aftertaste, warms up quickly. Keep this one in the fridge until the last minute. Mid range carbonation...gets a touch foamy if it gets towards room temp.

Drinkability- This is a sessionable Imperial Pils if I have ever had one. Not 100% true to style. Really feels like a strong English IPA. Still, quite drinkable and quite tasty...whatever it may be...good job.

09-15-2009 04:43:58 | More by GClarkage
Nickls

District of Columbia

3.93/5  rDev -1.3%

A - Hazy rusty orange color with yellow highlights around; poured with a generous finger of frothy and creamy slightly off-white head; great retention and great chunky lacing

S - Citric fruitiness; grassy hop bitterness

T - Grassy and citric hops; good deal of malty sweetness; lots of light fruitiness going on

M - Medium to thicker body; light carbonation; a big sticky

D - Not the most drinkable for me; perhaps a bit too fruity for my taste

Overall, an interesting brew, but I think I could have done with a lighter malt profile and less fruitiness...but that's just me. Worth a look.

07-06-2009 00:20:19 | More by Nickls
mdagnew

United Kingdom (Northern Ireland)

4.6/5  rDev +15.6%

750ml corked and capped bottle bought online from the Cracked Kettle, Amsterdam...

Poured a slightly hazy golden honey colour. Slightly off white head poured big, thick and foamy with a whipped meringue like top then faded slowly to a good one finger covering which lasted throughout... lots of sticky lacing patches coat the glass all the way down...

Aroma - Spicy tart fruits (oranges (peel?), limes, pears), some almond nuttiness, lots of floral honey, sea saltiness, chalky notes, some soapiness, peppery and grassy hop bitterness, very herbal - some hints of basil, some tobacco notes, cut wet grass, some buttery traces, slightly rubbery, some graininess...

Taste - Lots of grassy and peppery hop bitterness up front followed by lots of herbal notes, light biscuity malts, again some floral honey sweetness, quite nutty, marzipan traces, juicy fruits (bitter oranges, pears, apples, grapefruit), a hint of saline, some alcohol warmth just coming through, faint tobacco...

Feel - Pretty smooth and creamy with a little bite... medium bodied... dangerously drinkable at 8%

Overall - A superb brew and one that i wish i could get my hands on more easily... highly recommended..

06-23-2009 07:41:13 | More by mdagnew
charlzm

4.03/5  rDev +1.3%

Consumed 05/16/09, cork marked 10/12/09.

A gentle pour nevertheless creates a three-finger head of pale tan bubbles: dense yet frothy. The beer is positively alive with active carbonation; bubbles in great plentitude rise to the surface.

Color is a slightly hazy honey golden.

Almost as aromatic as it is good-looking, there are grassy and sweet honey notes wafting well over a foot away from this glass. There's a touch of the metallic to the aroma that's the only flaw. Also has an interesting note that reminds me of hot Florida asphalt after an afternoon rain squall.

Flavor is somewhat sweet at the beginning, and somewhat clean. I'd stop short of calling it delicate or light, especially in light of the meadlike and medicinal characters that follow the initial taste. Bitter but balanced hops are strongly evident on the tongue and the beer finishes dry, but not parchingly so. Flavor lingers boldly on the palate long after each sip.

Mouthfeel is fairly thick for anything pilsener-derived. There's a slight oiliness (from the hops?) as well as the aforementioned dryness.

A bit big to be easily downed, this beer is nevertheless a smooth drinker that is good once in a while. Couldn't see myself ejoying this on a regular basis, though.

05-16-2009 22:08:48 | More by charlzm
paco1029384756

3.53/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours an orange brown color with one and a half fingers of foamy white head.

Scent of sweet malts, sugars, tobacco, and a hint of ripe berries.

Taste of grass, tobacco, earth, sugars, and a hint of corn. Too strong to be great, but it is still pretty good.

Mouthfeel is smooth with a low amount of carbonation.

04-10-2009 22:05:43 | More by paco1029384756
brendan13

Australia

3.88/5  rDev -2.5%

A - Poured from the 750ml bottle into a Unibroue tulip glass a hazy orange colour with a couple of centimetres of slightly off white head.
S - Tropical & citrus fruit hop aromas are dominant. Some slight woody notes and a touch of biscuit maltiness.
T - Like the smell the taste is dominated by the tropical & citrus fruit qualities from the hops. Balanced with a biscuity malt taste.
M - Light to medium bodied with a fairly high carbonation. A fairly smooth finish with only a touch of bitterness at the end.
D - 8%ABV quite well hidden. A decent beer but there are others (from Mikkeller & others) that I'd spend my money on first.

03-30-2009 12:25:30 | More by brendan13
Parrotshake

Australia

4.33/5  rDev +8.8%

My first Imperial Pilsener. Picked it up on a whim at a wine shop on the way home from work... apparently the Mikkeller range has only been available in the country a few days. Curiosity got the best of me. If I hadn't just been paid, the $30 AUD for a 750 would almost certainly have put me off.

Close to 3 fingers of off-white, creamy head which eroded fairly slowly over a couple of sips. Lots of lacing left on the glass. Pours the colour of leatherwood honey.

Smells a little like a big English IPA - sort of a dried orange peel thing, overripe pineapple, maybe a little honey and notable maltiness. There's that typical crisp, floral Pilsener thing going on underneath it all, but very muted. The smell is massive upon opening the bottle and doesn't go away.

I'm not sure what an Imperial Pilsener is supposed to taste like, according to style, but I definitely like this a lot. Marmalade, something vaguely herbal, big hoppiness and nicely bitter both in the mouth and afterwards. Maybe grapefruit or even bergamot toward the back, just a little. My beer vocabulary is failing me a little here, I think.

Creamy-ish body with medium carbonation - the tiny bubbles are hard to see, but you feel them. Quite refreshing. Finishes bitter and lingers.

Drinking it on a fairly hot evening after a particularly long and unproductive day at work, I couldn't be more delighted. You can tell it's 8%, with a slight alcohol warmth after every mouthful, but it remains very refreshing and is so well balanced you could sit on it all night and still be excited about it at the end. I can't imagine getting sick of it, but lamentably, I also can't imagine being willing to pay for more :(

Loved it and I'm glad I tried it.

03-05-2009 09:52:19 | More by Parrotshake
hwwty4

Missouri

4.45/5  rDev +11.8%

Thanks to Jtrockchalk, like so many before this, for this one.

To start out with, this ain't no Malt Liquor, like I've ever seen one. This has definitely more in turn with a big IPA/Imperial pilsner then the label makes out. I poured a 750ml bottle into my New Belgium goblet. This beer pours a hazy orange-honey with a huge, Crest White Strips whitehead that receded (somewhat) leaving some pretty hardcore sticky lacing down the sides of my glass. The aroma is big American West Coast hop goodness. Lots of orange, pink grapefruit, and a bit of peach. This is nothing like any other Malt Liquor I've been privy too. The flavor is big and fruity. Mostly just orange and lemon from the hops but a bit of malty sweetness muscles its way thought this hop bomb. The mouthfeel is light and crisp like most well done lagers. This is a great beer. Mikkeller definitely lives up to their reputation of taking a American style and perfecting it. But in its perfection it looses its entirety. This isn't a Malt Liquor. The label is 100% incorrect.

01-22-2009 05:06:49 | More by hwwty4
JohnGalt1

Idaho

4.25/5  rDev +6.8%

750 picked up today at the Coop on the bargain bin in the back of the store... $10.. not bad. The single bottle has been back there for at least a few days, but I kept putting it off for other PNW stuff... I caved tonight. Poured into my New Belgium snifter.

quite the pop upon opening... 3 finger head takes forever to die back.. a ton of crusty lace is left behind... the brew is an only slightly hazed deep honey orange.

I never in a million years would have picked Imperial Pilsner from the nose.. alot of citrus hops... spicy notes as well... and enough malt to make it interesting, but the hops are still pretty prevalent..

Flavor more resembles the Impy Pils.. not nearly as bitter as I was expecting, in fact, the hops are more of a spicy/floral element.. the cleanliness of the yeast is a nice touch.. otherwise I would have guessed DIPA in a heartbeat... this is my idea of a great beer for the style... I don't like the Sam Adams nearly as much... that one was just waaay to bitter for me.. very clean and not fruity.. this is a nice brew. the body is a firm medium with a bunch of small bubble carbonation..

This is a pretty damn good beer... I'm very glad I came to my senses and decided to pick it up... I think I actually snatched it from a guy who was looking.. but oh well.. his loss, you gotta strike when the iron is hot.

I hope the boys at the Coop really push inroad with this brewery... I've had a couple of their beers before and have been very impressed.

01-17-2009 05:33:49 | More by JohnGalt1
cjgator3

750ml bottle

A- Foil wrapped, corked and caged bottle. Pours a dark orange color with a large off-white head that possesses excellent lacing and retention.

S- The aroma is sweet and spicy with some citrus and hops. The aroma is a very interesting mixture with a lot of citrus. Very intriguing.

T- The taste is slightly sweet with a nice generous kick from the hops. the hops aren't overly bitter, but they do produce a lot of flavor.

M- The mouthfeel is on the lighter scale with a good amount of carbonation.

D- Overall, Draft Bear is another very tasty brew from Mikkeller. I haven't had a beer from this brewery that I haven't enjoyed, great stuff.

01-12-2009 04:07:50 | More by cjgator3
BeerSox

750ml bottle, corked (fake) and caged into pilsner glass.

Hazy deep honey color with a two finger off white solid and rocky head that slowly settles to a thick cap, leaving behind some solid lacing. Little hazier than the standard pilsner, darker as well. Rings of solid lacing.

Bitter hops are aplenty, along with a little bit of sweet honey.

More of the bitter hops, very flavorful and slightly lower on the bitterness. It doesn't rival the sharpest of Imperal hoppy beers, but it's up there with the flavor. The malts add a slightly toasty and biscuity background. Full bodied. Overall, the flavor is pretty refreshing. Alcohol is not noticed, especially at cooler temps.

Mikkeller does a good job with this lager version of an IPA. Both bittering and flavorful hops are in the mix, over a crisp and refreshing malt backbone. Recommended.

01-12-2009 01:51:36 | More by BeerSox
popery

3.6/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This beer was not up to the usual standard of Mikkeller, in my opinion. It has a pretty good flavor, but it's a bit like an average West coast DIPA. It just doesn't come together entirely. It certainly has some pilsner taste, but it's much bigger with the grapefruit-orange hops than anything else. The beer does look great. I'll give it that. Huge rocky head that sticks around like nobody's business. It's ultimately just too sweet and orangey to stick with for long. It's like eating an under-ripe grapefruit after a little while. This beer might be a lot better when it's at its freshest, but it's certainly not local, so it's hard to correct for that possibility. Okay beer, but I'll stick with the Samuel Adams Hallertau Imp Pils.

01-08-2009 08:12:31 | More by popery
ccrida

Oregon

3.93/5  rDev -1.3%

750ml bottle poured into my large Gulden Draak tulip (at cellar temp, ~55F), Draft Bear is bronze with a big, frothy white head that is very rocky settling and leaves heavy chunks of foamy lace, very Belgian like, awesome

Smell is great from the get go, the big blast of hops I look for in this exaggerated lager style, sweet, spicy, almost winter warmer like fruit-cake, some sour citrus, I love the robustness, but it's, dare I say, a little much. The sweetness reminds me a bit of the Samuel Adams Imperial Pils, and while this one trumps, I still tired of it by the end, and wish I'd served it colder

Taste is rather earthy, almost cedar wood like, I assume it's the hop variety, it reminds me of this weird European hop that was used in De Molen's Storm and Averij, but more tannic, with a stout bitterness cutting the cloyingness. Like the nose, the intensity of the dusty herbalness flirts with being too much, but just quite isn't. In fact it is, but I so prefer an over the top beer, that I have trouble dinging one for actually being so, and the more I drink this, the more I love it. A quick browse of Shelton Bros website indicates it's just amarillo and cascade, hops I thought I knew by heart, but they really have an intense pungency here that impresses the hell out of me! Still, it doesn't quite come together like I'd prefer - starting out sweet, nice hop flavor in the middle, and then finishing bitter and pungent, the tannic taste I referred too. Letting it warm just brought out the sweetness - I wish it was just made with pure pils grain to keep it a little drier, maybe some sugar to provide the ABV without the extra body.

Mouthfeel is a bit oily, medium bodied.

Drinkability is pretty good, I started out really loving this, but started to hit a wall by the end, and wish I'd served it colder. Still a very nice Imperial Pilsner, I appreciate the robustness of the hops, but it was a bit too rich.

01-04-2009 03:25:13 | More by ccrida
yemenmocha

Arizona

3.9/5  rDev -2%

Pours off gold/orange, hazy, perhaps a few shades darker than a typical Hefe-Weizen. Head is beautifully white and retains well.

Nose is assertive & acidic fruit like grapefruit and tangerine, maybe sharp orange juice too.

Big malt warmth, hops aren't insane, and it's far more refreshing and easy drinking than many other "imperial pilseners".

12-28-2008 04:04:26 | More by yemenmocha
dnichols

Washington

4.33/5  rDev +8.8%

I poured a 750 ml caged and corked and foil wrapped bottle into a pint glass. This is my first venture into an Imperial Pilsner.

A: It poured a bright gold colored body that was remarkably clear. It had a one to two finger white head that retained well and supported a thick and sticky lacing.

S: It had a subtle malty and yeasty base with herbal and spicy hops dominating but not overpowering the aroma profile. It was clean and crisp with a hint of a nice fall day spent in the hay pasture.

T: It had a modest but distinct hop bite from the get go. The flavors were dominate by citrus flavors (orange and lemons), a undercurrent of maltiness added a sweet and creamy flavor. It is a complex and well balanced beer.

M: It was medium bodied with heavy but not overwhelming carbonation. It had a crisp and refreshing front and a clean and warm finish.

D: It was a very well constructed beer. It would be a great summer beer...meant for a hot day. Very refreshing. I'll be getting more of this style.

12-21-2008 16:05:17 | More by dnichols
AKBelgianBeast

Alaska

4.03/5  rDev +1.3%

Picked this up out of curiosity from god knows what liquor store.

Pours a peachy orange cloudy color with a very nice white head that retains well and leaves lacing that is quite nice.

The nose has alot of grassy hops and piney resiny sweetness. An odd fruitiness too.

Taste follows almost exactly. Grassy pine hop resins abound, a malt sweetness that can only be described as half baked fruit. A candy sweetness as well. The grass like hops come out on the finish as well. I like the level of bitterness in this one. It stays nice and pilsnery without becoming a DIPA. Dry finish.

Mouthfeel is pretty good, a bit thick maybe, but carbonation is quite good, and palate is very dry.

Drinkability is good, but there is defenitely a noticeable alcohol presence. Aside from that the drinkability is fairly strong.

Overall this is a great example of the imperial pilsner style. Doesn't go too far with hoppiness, but is still very much a hop driven and hop flavorful beer. The interesting malt sweetness is what intrigues me the most about this one. A fine example of the sytle by mikkeller.

12-16-2008 05:00:45 | More by AKBelgianBeast
corby112

4.53/5  rDev +13.8%

Pours a cloudy golden amber/ orange color with a huge, foamy off-white head that settles into a lasting lace. Aroma is nicely balanced with hints of citrus peel, hops, crisp fruit, pine and malt. Very quaffable and excelently balanced, with a complex flavors. Nice malty backbone balancing out sweet crisp fruit, lemon and orange peel, and a nice citrus/ floral hop presence that lasts throughout. Alcohol warmth in the finish.

12-04-2008 06:51:59 | More by corby112
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

4.03/5  rDev +1.3%

Polished pumpkin with bubblebee borders. A yeasty haziness would improve the look of the liquid. The gorgeous crown, on the other hand, needs no help at all. Following the pour, it settles out at four full fingers of cotton-like stickiness that is blasting the glass with lace. Brewed and bottled in Lochristi-Hufte, Belgium. Hmmm...

I love the fact that Mikkeller is in love with American hops and uses them like they're going out of style. The nose is redolent of sunny tangerine, musky peach, pink grapefruit and ganja. Amarillo and Cascade is such a wonderful combination where there's no strongly scented (and flavored) malt to get in the way.

It's obvious that Draft Bear is generously hopped. Unfortunately, unlike the best versions of the style, it isn't insanely hopped. This must be a pretty fresh bottle since the 'best by' date on the synthetic cork is December 2009. Ain't no way the beer will any good at that point. Don't age it... drink it!

This Imperial pilsner doesn't taste radically different from a DIPA. Sure, the lager yeast gives it a certain 'absence of esters' cleanliness, but otherwise the similarities are there. The malt sugars are helped along by candi sugar that, thankfully, doesn't produce a tooth-rotting sweetness.

The taste score isn't higher because the hops aren't quite bold enough. 50% more flavor and 50% more bitterness would have gotten it there with ease. Atop a sugar cookie-like base is a cornucopia of juicy fruit that includes tangerine, peach and white grapefruit. Amarillo seems more prominent than Cascade on the palate. Exceptionally well-buried alcohol is a big plus.

The mouthfeel almost reaches the next rung of the quality/score ladder. It's full and borderline sticky, with something less than a Belgian-like voluminousness. Greatness would have meant either bigger and more viscous... or lighter, creamier and fluffier.

It seems that Mikkeller is incapable of brewing anything but good beer (Stateside IPA, Struisse Mikkeller) and great beer (Beer Geek Breakfast, All Others Pale and Jackie Brown). Draft Bear belongs in the first group and is definitely worth a purchase for anyone even remotely interested in the style. What the hell is Draft Bear anyway?

11-13-2008 22:04:46 | More by BuckeyeNation
illidurit

3.63/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured into a snifter. Muddy opaque goldenrod color with a medium-tall off-white head that leaves a film of fine lacing.

Fresh-cut pineapple aroma, pungent mango, peach juice. Some herbs and grass too.

Flavor is pale malt with orange marmalade, grains, and a bitter finish. I'm not getting hardly any noble hop spiciness like I expect from a pilsener. Tastes sort of like an aged DIPA.

Mouthfeel is nice and dry, maybe a little low on carbonation, some alcohol warming.

While this isn't a bad beer, the thing I like about pilseners is the noble hops cleanness and crispness, and this beer seemed mired in tropical fruit flavors. Upon checking the ingredients, I see that this beer is hopped with Cascade and Amarillo. Doesn't really make any sense to use zero noble hops and call your beer a pilsener. Stylistically this beer is way off, but hedonistically it's pretty good.

11-05-2008 05:09:32 | More by illidurit
beerthulhu

4.25/5  rDev +6.8%

A: Poured a dark, rustic orange that was accompanied by a solid 2 finger frothy ivory-tusk colored head that displayed amazing retention and was nearly fully lasting for the course of the drink. A thick spongy and foamy lacing adheres to the sides of the glass vessel in stratified fashion.

S: Dried orange peels with light hay notes first are detected. A very nice wildflower and orange blossom scents add subtle highlights with some underlying sweet candi-sugar and spicy notes. The overall aroma was soft and perfumy and one I wished I would of displayed more of a showing but made a nice impact none the less with its subtle nature.

T: The flavor starts off with tart tangerines, grapefruit and a light mildew nature. Sharp sour citrus and lemon grass soon fades allowing a sublte malt and candi-sugar sweetness to soon take over. Lingering alcohol fusels were noticeable with a slight sour fruitiness of pears and bananas. Light musky hay and herbal notes along with a peppery spiciness rounds out an otherwise very good flavor.

M: light to medium in fullness and was very smooth on the tongue. Soft carbonation wit a dry lingering lemon-alcohol fade finishes things out here.

D: Definitly an intriguing flavor, with some booziness and mildew nature of sour citrus and sweet candi-sugar all combining to make this a must try. There was some noticeable booziness at times that makes this an honest sipper that is a good thing because I wanted this beer to last as long as possible.

10-28-2008 22:08:37 | More by beerthulhu
adamparker05

4.53/5  rDev +13.8%

Pours a filthy amber, dirty orange color. Nice, soft foam.

Aroma is a malty sweetness with some nice banana bread and papaya fruit.

Taste is full of some tropical fruits, a little bit of peach french toast (Weird i know- but I've had it!) with a sharp, acidic finish.

Very drinkable. Comes in 750ml so you can't drink a whole lot, but if you're taking your time it is a delicious beer to be savored.

10-17-2008 02:46:33 | More by adamparker05
Derek

British Columbia (Canada)

4.28/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Best before 13/12/09.

You don't typically find Amarillo & Cascade hops in a pilsner, so it's a little odd for the style... though I guess it's an american style.

A: Hazy, golden-bronze; huge, fluffy white head, great retention & lacing.

S: Huge peach, tangerine, nectarine, marmalade aroma. Definitely smells more like an IPA than a Pilsner.

T: Tangerine, nectarine, marmalade, grass and hints of biscuity malt. Much more Amarillo flavour than cascade. Assertive bitterness; alcohol is subtle. Yeast profile is extremely neutral.

M: Well-attenuated, moderate body has a dry, crisp finish.

D: Very drinkable for its strength.

Very well-crafted and brewed. But a double pils?

10-16-2008 20:37:13 | More by Derek
russpowell

Oklahoma

4.43/5  rDev +11.3%

Pours an effervescent bronze with 4+ fingers of fluffy cream colored head. Insane lacing & head retention

S: Lemons, grapefruits, grassyness & soapyness as well

T: Grapefruit, a touch of booze warmth, grainyness & a touch of honey malt up front. Grapefruit, lemons & pineapple dominate as this warms, along with dryness, apricot & passion fruit. Finishes dry, fruiity, with hints of appleskins, buried in Grapefruitty hops & nice honey sweetness

MF: Smooth, medium bodied, creamy, great balance

Drinks pretty easy for the ABV, a very good take on the style. A little more hop freshness wouldn't hurt, but this is a keeper!

08-11-2008 02:22:01 | More by russpowell
Slatetank

4.22/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I picked this up @ State Line and enjoyed it cold in my La Fin Du Monde glass.

A - A very light amber w/ a gentle haze, tons of active rising bubbles, the cork came out with a fwoop! The head is like a milkshake -frothy white and dense. The lace clings well w/ a wavy web pattern.

S - A spicy noble hop scent(saaz) w/ crisp herbal and slightly piney hints w/ a nice mellow malt. The malt flavor has a hint of bready yeast in the nose

M - A very gentle spice which accents a sweet/slightly bitter hoppy quality. The feel has a very nice balance of carbonation w/ smooth hop oils and subtle toasted malt that leads to a semi dry finish. A subtle-barely noticeable warming effect as it nears half empty is noticed w/ more herbal textures

T - A very tasty spiced yet green herbal taste from the hops w/ a malty but lightly sweet overall taste. The flavor is sweet w/ pine hop notes and dry pils malt flavor w/ subtle toasted and sweet essence. The hops are the focus as you would expect and the abv seems to show up in the finish but very sneakily, at the last taste. A refreshing flavor like the original un-doubled style, but quite a nice balancing act of strength and finesse. I love the malt hop combo since it is true to its inspiration - the Pilsner.

D -This is the easiest Imp Pils I have tasted, but still boldw/ a slightly strong quality toward the end, but the noble hops and mild malt w/ subtle warmth of 8% can't be beat for the 750ml was too easy for me to finish especially when scanning the BA forum. This is definitely something I want to taste again -I highly recommend this.

08-06-2008 22:53:51 | More by Slatetank
jakon

Oregon

4.08/5  rDev +2.5%

750ml bottle corked and caged.

This beer pours amber with a huge off-white head that shows good retention and leaves ample lacing.

The aroma reminds me more of a big pale ale than a pilsener. A good amount of floral and earthy hops with a substantial sweet malt background.

The taste confirms my sense that nothing about this beer resembles a pilsener. It's got a prominent floral hop presence with a big malt backing. Pretty sweet. Hops linger.

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy. Not much bite.

Overall, this was a very enjoyable sipper that I'm glad to have tried. Wasn't quite what I expected though.

07-25-2008 06:56:58 | More by jakon