Black (黑) - Mikkeller ApS

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

American Double / Imperial Stout |  17.50% ABV

Beer added by: kkipple on 02-19-2008

Brewed at De Proefbrouwerij.

Ingredients: Water, malt, roasted barley, dark cassonade, ale yeast and champagne yeast.
1.33/5  rDev -65%

Blind Beer #8 from Khazadum, with the text: "You may want to be careful with this one."

Poured into a large snifter from a 375ml bottle; corked, capped, and foiled. This cork was a bitch to get out as well.

A - Oh my God does this beer re-define darkness or what. I can't say I've seen anything pour as dark as this beer to date, and even the thinnest parts of my snifter are still obscured by this liquid. Absolutely no head at all and no lacing, but there are some serious alcohol legs on this. I was actually a bit astonished when this poured out, since it was a corked and caged green bottle... Seriously scary looking. (3.5/5)

S - I have seen hell, and now I smell it. This is a frightening aroma, no doubt about it. If I could imagine what the inside of a witch's cauldron brewing the potion of immediate death, this is it. It's an insane melange of intense soy sauce, chocolate, burnt plastic, slight smoke, anise and lots and lots of booze mixed with fruits. I am honestly afraid to put this anywhere near my mouth. (2/5)

T - No. NO. I take a small sip and almost immediately gag. This is liquid fire and brimstone and sulphur and if anyone wondered why the world didn't end this weekend, it's because the Rapture was contained in this Pandora's bottle. It's a ton of soy mixed with teriyaki and immediately my mouth repels it. I seriously can't believe how awful this is. Lots of alcohol. I don't want to taste this again to get more accurate descriptors, sorry. After some persuasion, I try again. This beer is insanely cloyingly sweet and makes Dark Lord look like a baby. If you thought Avery Mephistopheles had a ton of black licorice, the anise in this is remarkable. (-5000/5)

M - Unfortunately even the tiniest sip of this invades the palate and coats the mouth in it's vileness. It's flat, thick, lifeless, and I can feel it sucking my youth and vitality through my gums and tongue. (0/5)

D/O - Is this joke? The fact that whoever made this took the time to cork it with an impenetrable rubber cork, a cage, and cover it in foil makes me think that was the most effort they put into making this beer. But if I were them, I'd make it as hard and disheartening to open this beer, too. (LOL/5)

If I hadn't received Sam Adams Triple Bock in a trade literally today, I would guess that, but failing that I can't say I've heard of anything approaching this train wreck.

The reveal: Mikkeller Black (黑). I honestly was thinking Mikeller after seeing the blackness come from that kind of packaging, but dismissed it immediately after tasting it. I am reading the other reviews for it and they must be joking. I'm surprised this beer is only 17.50% ABV. There is no way this beer could ever be considered an A+ in some people's eyes. There's no way. I see you left the price tag on this, and I honestly feel sorry that you paid $16.50 for this.

I am hoping I was wrong in my last review that Envious was a killshot because after this, I feel like I just got shot thrice.

This beer gets the honor of being only the second or third beer I've ever drainpoured.

2.45/5  rDev -35.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Poured from 375ml caged and corked bottle. Thanks for bringing this over Dan (I still need your BA name dude!)

A- Pours a jet black color. No head shows up on this beer at all. As with the head there is no lacing as well. Just looks like a cup of black coffee sitting here.

S- Alcohol comes through first...holy crap and does it come through. Some light darker fruits come through next in the beer which mixes with a light tobacco like aroma. Darker chocolate and hints of smoke comes through next with oak in the background. The alcohol really does come through toward the ending and this tingles the nose a lot.

T- Roasted malts with a hint of darker fruits comes off the front soaked in alcohol. Middle of the beer shows a light chocolate and oak with another round alcohol. Molasses, brown sugar and darker fruits give a light sweetness in the backend that gives little balance to this beer. Smoke and huge alcohol heat in the ending of the beer clear all hints of sweetness.

M- Heavy mouthfeel. Carbonation is very light for the style and for the beer in general. Medicinal alcohol, roasted malts, and light darker fruits are left on the palate. Aftertaste is mostly alcohol, smoke, and hints of sweetness. Flavors were all over the place and not balanced at all for the beer. Although not a off flavor the alcohol tended to be much and gave a off flavor quality to it.

O- This beer is a hot mess. I was glad I got to try it but my god the alcohol heat is just out of this world. The flavors overall are dominated by this huge ABV and I don't think much aging could help this one from being anything much else. I couldn't fathom drinking a whole 375ml of this by myself or really want to for that matter.

3.73/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours black as night into my snifter with no head whatsoever even with a very aggressive pour...

S - Dark roasted malts, bitter chocolate, anise, and sweet molasses with a booze like finish.

T - This is super sweet, roasted malts, molasses, coffee, bittersweet chocolate, very boozey yet enjoyable.

M - Thin to medium and lacking carbonation.

O - Super sweet and no carbonation... tasty but still somewhat disappointing overall.

4.68/5  rDev +23.2%

Wow. I really love this brew. I'm a fan of stouts, and this tends to hit the spot quite well.

Appearance is black. Like, pitch black with a bit of brown around the edges. It doesn't really appear to be carbonated.

Smell is sweet and has notes of chocolate along with the presence of alcohol.

Taste great. Sweet, dark barely hits first with a full body. The middle fades into a roasty, dark chocolate flavor and the end has a dry mouthfeel to it, but that being coupled with the chocolate gives it a nice edge and reminds me of actually eating extremely dark chocolate. There does appear to be a little carbonation on the tongue. The tail lingers with the same smokey chocolate flavor.

Overall, I love this beer. It's pricey, but it's another great shade of strong stout that sits next to Dogfish Head World Wide Stout and Brew Dog Tokyo.

Cheers

3.58/5  rDev -5.8%

Bought this some number of months ago at Connecticut Avenue Wine and Liquors. Maybe a month after I bought it, I wandered over to it on my shelves and learned it was 18% ABV. Then I wandered away. Fast forward a few months and I'm FINALLY ready to dive in (after some challenging experiences with Sink the Bismarck!, Sammichlaus and Fort).

So, while catching up with a friend visiting from out of town, we crack open the Black after splitting a John John Ale from Rogue. From the pour, we're pretty entranced. Jet black pour with oily lacing. Looks very rich and sweet. On smelling, got nailed with flashbacks of Bismarck! - hops shoot up my nose and, after tasting it, I realize it's not just an aromatic similarity. Second only to Bismarck, this is the most hop-oily beer I've ever had, only in the case of the Black, that oil texture is mixed with stout elements instead of pseudo-spirits.

I definitely prefer this beer to the 41% behemoth, but not by a whole lot. It's quite difficult to drink, but is pretty rewarding as you do. It's warming and smooth, but achieves those qualities with a cost. This beer's got heat. Enjoy carefully.

4.23/5  rDev +11.3%

On tap at Mikkeller Bar. From notes.

A - Black with a 2 finger mocha head. Creamy head. Some carbonation coming up but seems faint. Pitch black in colour. Fairly good lacing.

S - Huge coffee and chocolate in the aroma. Very pungent with the sweet elements of the aroma attacking and the coffee sort of backing it up well. The aroma seemed to be quite stunning for a beer of this strength. I got no alcohol.

T - Quite sweet. In fact very sweet. The sweetness and alcohol mix well together though. The sweetness is quite strong with the alcohol at about a medium level but it is kinda cool. Chocolatey the whole way with that coffee again in the background.

M - Full body with tingly carbonation. Sweet finish and quite thick.

D - Obviously too sweet to have more than a 200mL sample but it balances the alcohol quite well and makes for a good night cap. Declicious.

2.53/5  rDev -33.4%

Received this as a gift about a year ago. I pour the 375ml corked and caged bottle into a large snifter to review.

Very difficult to remove the plastic cork with minimal carbonation evident. Leaves no head or retention. Like the name suggests, black in color. No lacing. I am not certain the affect of the aging had on the seemingly non-existent carbonation; other reviews I just read of the beer have a similar indication.

Nose seems a bit hot with warming alcohol evident even before it touches my lips. Lots of sweet malts and some smokiness. While it is certainly malt-forward, I do detect some earthy hops in the background. Also there are hints of dark chocolate, oak, leather, port wine and tobacco.

Deep taste of sweet and roasty malts, very dark chocolate, molasses, oak and leather. Comes off quite hot, reminiscent of a boozy after dinner port. Aftertaste brings on some brown sugar with a lot of smoked malt. Less balanced than my nose predicted with the alcohol and malt dominating here.

The mouth of this beer is in need of carbonation which would improve its drinkability greatly. Full bodied but comes off a bit watery. Long finish of malt and smoke.

My overall impression would be improved with added carbonation and to tone down on the smokiness. I like a big stout that can mask its ABV; this beer did not succeed in this department. I'll grab a Beer Geek Brunch Weasel from this great brewery next time I'm in the mood for a big stout; this one just didn't do it for me.

4.35/5  rDev +14.5%

Poured into a Sniffer Glass

A:Piano black with a Raw Umber head about two fingers worth.

S:Robustly oven fresh malts, Deep caramel dark chocolate honey.

T:After an abundant amount of sweetness and a thrilling amount alcohol heat, what follows is a black coffee awakening. Bitter chocolate molasses and caramelized malts.

M:Leaves a Rich oily coat lacing that'll keep your body nice and warm as well throughout the winter.

O:Never tasted anything like it definitely unique. The head change and the face numbingness was pleasant as well.

3.45/5  rDev -9.2%

Much thanks to forgetfu for opening this bottle up along with the whiskey, islay, peated and cognac variants. Poured from a bottle.

A- Dark as tar. Jet black. No head to speak of.

S- Alcoholic with a sweet chocolate, brownie, molasses background. Bit of a steak sauce quality to it as well.

T- Holy sugar! Very sweet upfront with plenty of residual sugar abound. Chocolate malts make their presence known midway through. Finish is on the sweet side with a bit of a charred character. Alcohol was very well hidden.

M- Very disappointing aspect of the beer. Way too thin for a beer of this size and magnitude.

D- While the alcohol aspect was kept in check, the sweetness was just bordering on too much to bare...and that's with a small pour.

Overall, of the vertical that was opened up, this one was one of my least favorites. Interesting beer, but too sweet for my liking.

3.73/5  rDev -1.8%

A: Jet black in color with a strong tan head, excellent retention. As the mushroom cloud forms it leaves a great deal of lacing.

S: Cognac and Port notes jump out. After the booze swoon passes a bit I can pick out some smoked and darkly roasted malts with a hint of fig jam. Oddly enough a touch of soy sauce rears its' head, strange.

T: It tastes like a dank ass port, flat out. Sweet up front, but wait...there is an acrid bitterness that just comes out of the woodwork in the finish. I don't know how to classify this beer at this point, a serious style bender. Some coffee and caramel flavors creep out as it warms, but they are well masked by the high gravity in this brew. That said, there is almost no hint of alcohol anywhere to be found. Mystifying to say the least.

M: Thick and a bit syrupy. It coats the palate and leaves behind a haze of black malty bitterness.

D: Would I buy this beer again? Probably not. Was it an interesting brew? Yes. In the end I enjoyed giving this one a go and tip my hat as always to the brewers at Mikkeller. They continue to push the boundries of beer in very interesting ways. Cheers.

2.95/5  rDev -22.4%

A: Pours pitch black, oily with no head and no carbonation.

N: Sweet boozy grapefruit, sugar and dark chocolate.

T: Extremely sugary sweet, booze, toffee, dark chocolate and dark roast coffee.

M: Sticky, oily and warming.

D: Definite sipper. Very sweet and warming.

3.55/5  rDev -6.6%

A: The beer is jet black in color and poured with a finger high creamy tan head that has good retention properties and consistently left a thin layer of bubbles coating the surface.
S: There are strong aromas of cognac in the nose.
T: Flavors of alcohol and cognac stand out; the initial taste has flavors of grapes while flavors of chewing tobacco are present in the finish.
M: It feels full-bodied and relatively thick on the palate. The alcohol results in some burning and warming sensations in the finish.
D: The alcohol content is surprisingly manageable, but it's the taste (particularly the finish) that makes this beer a slow sipper. The drinkability slightly improves as the beer warms up.

3.75/5  rDev -1.3%

Had on draft at the Lions Pride in Briunswick ME. Served in a small tulip.

Black with a dark tan head with resideual dark on the glass

Malt and chocolate with a slight alcohol finish nice

The mouth is great starts smooth then quickly turns to a dry roasted and finish. The taste is full of alcohol, roasted barley and malts. The alcohol cuts the sweetness.

For 17% this doesn't drink bad but drink slow to discover the range it gets

3.85/5  rDev +1.3%

A: Ok my first honest to god reaction was that I thought this came in a black bottle. Apparently, the bottle is green, go figure. The beer resembles motor oil or squid ink with absolutely no head to speak of.
S: Nice twinge of alcohol and roasted malt. Nice caramel chocolate notes.
T: Wow this is just a huge blast of flavor. It tastes sweet but slowly blends into the chocolate roastiness but you have to let this sit on your tongue for a minute to just begin to diagnose all the flavor.
D/M: Nice slight carbonation and not overly thick considering the weight of the alcohol.

4.15/5  rDev +9.2%

Finally it is time. For a year and a half, this bottle has looked into my soul. The infamous Black. A fearful approach at the synthetic cork. Satan's hiss. Tyrannically black with only the smallest of bubbles.
There is alcohol, oh, dear. Molasses, chocolate, gunpowder, thick malts, caramel, dragon's breath, samurai sweat, and sweet fear. Hot hot hot! Me likey. Little bit of roast and hop bitterness, but it is supplementary and not overpowering. The alcohol rules this beast, riding the snake.
Despite the heat, very drinkable. Hoowah!

4.58/5  rDev +20.5%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass. Popped the cork and a minor pop which at first left me concerned but not for long.

Very much a VERY dark brown pour giving no head at all. However if you pour at a height for carbonation a ring stays, and so does the lace, Giant concentric rings of legs on this... tan chocolate brown bubbles.

What a great bouquet on this! First of malt and then this whiff of fresh cherries! Some earthy/soil like feel components as well. Thick anisette also with molasses. There is also NO HEAT coming off from the high ABV.

Supper pleasant mouthfeel giving way to this incredible almost slightly sour but big cherry darkness with sweet malts, and borderline feel of DARK RUM! Afterfinish had this brown sugar cherry mix. Neat sour tinge consisting of almost like a Kriek. Not even a HINT of an alcohol bomb!

Drinkability is off the charts!

1.65/5  rDev -56.6%

A: almost no carbonation no head and no pop when I opened the bottle black as night

S: Alcohol all over the place some sort of off smell... what kind of yeast did they use in this? there is also a roasted note.

T: Alcohol Alcohol Alcohol almost no carbonation some sort of champagne note that seems like an off note in a stout with some roasted notes

M: thick with no carbonation...

D: almost none!

Overall: this beer was a mess and I feel ripped off paying 18 bucks for this beer do not buy it.

4.15/5  rDev +9.2%

Did a horizontal with the base, whisky, highland, and peat editions of this one. Mikkeller Black was my highest rated beer for over a year with a 4.85 rating, so I was very exicted to try it again, as well as a few other editions. Let's see if it's as good as I remember it being.

From a cork and caged 375ml into a snifter.
Batch 1 with over a year of age.

Note: Tasted all four in sequence. This was first.

APPEARANCE: The black pour began a little flat looking, but soon a beautiful cascade effect produced a 1 ½ finger tan head with great retention. Head is super thick and tight looking. Sits black in the glass with zero carbonation evident. Head fades very slowly to a decent film cap and a healthy ring, leaving lots of immediate lacing down the glass. A good film remains until the end and leaves some great lacing down the glass. Great looking imperial stout, and even more so considering the ABV.

SMELL: Big nose of roasted malts and lots of pure chocolate. Some light coffee notes and some hints of vanilla. Red wine and port aromas with a good dose of alcohol as well. Nice stuff.

TASTE: Roasted, burnt malt, caramel malt, and lots of pure chocolate and molasses up front. Pretty sweet really. Lots of booze and port wine flavors throughout. Bitter chocolate and sweet molasses accompany a booze laden, bold, and extremely persistent aftertaste. Huge flavors and quite boozy, but meshes really well. A little less booze would let the malt flavors shine a little better, but this is still wonderfully put together.

PALATE: Medium body and medium carbonation. Creamy smooth on the palate, goes down smooth with a good dose of heat on the swallow and finishes quite mouth coating. The first few sips were quite hot and harsh, but it smoothened out quickly.

OVERALL: An outstanding monster imperial stout. Just as enjoyable as the first time. Though I don't rate it as highly, that has more to do with my experience than the beer itself. Still top class stuff. At 17.5%, this could have easily become an undrinkable booze fest like several others in the category. Our bottle was well over a year old, so that may have helped mellow it out slightly. Either way, for a boozy stout, this one meshes with the other flavors very, very well. Drank away dangerously fast. If you like big stouts and enjoy some boozy elements as well, this one fits the bill and more. Whole-heartedly recommended.

2.55/5  rDev -32.9%

Got this on in trade from Lunch. Thanks, Paul!

2009 bottle shared with gwuilliums on New Year's Eve 2011.

A: Thick, black pour. Thin head of mocha colored bubbles. More than I expected from a 17.5%.

S: Alcohol burn over dark, dark roast.

T: Hard to get much more than alcohol wrapped in a dark roast aftertaste. Very hard to enjoy.

M: No real beer component to this mouthfeel. This could not be more of an alcohol assault on your tongue.

D: If you wanted to really, really sip a beer, this is the one for you.

4.03/5  rDev +6.1%

A: Thick and Black, dark almond head (more like a thin disk of residual bubbles)

S: Strong note of alcohol, bitter dark chocolate, coffee

M: Very alcoholic feel; initial taste of a dark stout followed by the heat of a liquor akin to scotch.

T: Lots of alcohol, almost tannic in flavor, dark chocolate and coffee can be found if you drink this very slowly.

D: Not the kind of drink you just choose for any given night. This is more of a nightcap. The alcohol content is stronger than most, but if enjoyed slowly, the flavors do develop. Drink this beer like you would whiskey; slow, relaxed, and with friends.

I have had this beer about six times now and I have learned that it is very complex and not for everyone. If you prefer red wines, scotch/whiskey, and lean more towards imperial stouts, you will likely enjoy this beer.

1.78/5  rDev -53.2%

Got this bottle from a buddy of mine.

S: Stale coffee, alcohol, lots of alcohol, very dark chocolate.

L: Thick black, no head, some bubbles on the perimeter of the glass.

T: Alcohol sweetened coffee malt, some chocolate, no hops or bitterness. Some alcoholic dryness.

M: Thick, syrupy, no carbonation whatsoever, very alcoholic.

A mess, just a terrible beer. Drainpour.

4.53/5  rDev +19.2%

Mikkeller Black

Appearance: Dark brown with almost no lacing.

Smell: Alcohol, dark chocolate, slight coffee, and roasted malts.

Taste: Roasted malts, dark roast coffee, dark chocolate, and a subtle hop finish.

Mouthfeel: Thick and heavy.

Overall:
Wow. This is definitely one of the strongest beers available in flavor and alcohol content (17.5% ABV). Don't mistake strong for bad! This is actually very tasty and good. It starts off sweet and ends in a bitterness.

4.53/5  rDev +19.2%

This one's been in the wine fridge for about 2 years. I drank one fresh and loved it. Let's see what the age has done.
appearance: Well....black. no head to speak of. More like that balding pattern where there's a rim around the ears. A few rather large bubbles cluster around the sides of my DFH snifter. Then again, it's 17% abv.
smell: Wow. Complex. Let's see. Deep, dark malt. Dark chocolate. Smells like an aged tawny port and a stout mated...i mean, it smells great!
taste: Wow squared. It's like a war between conflicting, equally strong flavors that somehow resolves before destroying your mouth. i mean, it tastes great!
mouthfeel: The body doesn't do the nose and taste justice. It's relatively, surprisingly wimpy.
drinkability: Not really. I scored it a little higher than i would given that it's in the Monster category. Amazing stout but please no more than 1 (or maybe even 1/2) at a time for me.

4.33/5  rDev +13.9%

Pours a very dark and slightly opaque black brown, with almost no carbonation. It looks extremely heavy and sludgy in the glass. Head is only a slight coarse foam of crusty bubbles. Not bad. Needs some head -- but given the ABV, the lack is perhaps understandable.

Big dark roasted characters on the nose. Very pleasant hints of oak and whiskey that give some depth. Bit of reddish sweetness to back it all together. Very pleasant.

Taste is extremely rich, very sweet and extremely boozy. Big vinous characters and a huge whisky or port spiritous burn. Slick and rich feel lets the palate mature over time, eventually yielding some sweet berry and heavy wood. Oh me oh my. This is an extremely complex and extremely flavoursome brew. Almost medicinal on the back, which lends just another layer of complexity. Wow.

This is a very strong, very aggressive and extremely complex brew. It's surprisingly drinkable for 17.5% ABV, maybe because every sip gives you another layer of complexity. You keep going back in anticipation of what you might discover next. Really wonderful.

3.45/5  rDev -9.2%

375mL green glass fake cork and caged bottle. Cork dated 12/12/17.

Pours oily black with no carbonation. Some brown bubbles from a rough pour. Nose is full of aromas! Soy sauce, toasted sesame, toasted malts. Black strap molasses, brown sugar, coffee beans and bitter chocolate aromas. Palate is agg-ress-ive. Smoky malts reminds me a lot of Scotch, alcohol is very pronounced and spicy. Heavy barley presence reminds me of JW Lees harvest ale aged in Lagavulin casks. Long finish and somewhat unpleasant mouth feel.

Notes: Too aggressive I think. The smoky bitterness is unpleasant most of the time and I really like beer with carbonation.

Black (黑) from Mikkeller ApS