Black (黑) - Mikkeller ApS

Black (黑)Black (黑)

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

American Double / Imperial Stout |  17.50% ABV

Brewed at De Proefbrouwerij.

Ingredients: Water, malt, roasted barley, dark cassonade, ale yeast and champagne yeast.

(Beer added by: kkipple on 02-19-2008)
3.63/5  rDev -4.5%

Pours out a really dark black with one finger at most of brown suds leaving lacing around the glass.
Smell is like an old coffee and chocolate cherry mixed together. Definatly get the alcohol and the plum and raisin.
Taste is very strong of coffee and black burnt sugar with alcohol. There is a smoke quality here. This one is way over the top.
Even though it isn't pleasant it still tastes like nothing else out there. This might be good on a cold december night when the electricity goes off and all you have to keep you warm is the dog.
Mouthfeel is clean enough but the alcohol keeps the palate cleansed where you don't notice any sugars.
Nope on the Drinkability. Don't want any more than a shot glass of this one.

peabody, Nov 22, 2009
3.38/5  rDev -11.1%

Live review. Poured from the 12.7 oz. corked, caged and black foil wrapped bottle that I found in the basement of HopCat in Grand Rapids, MI while on a brief tour there. I subsequently purchased the bottle but I do not recall how much I paid. The cork looks synthetic and has a date written on it: 12/12/17, presumably the "best by" date. 17.5% ALC./VOL. also mentioned on the label. Poured into my Westvleteren silver rimmed trappist style goblet.

A With a vigorous pour this beer at first appeared to not have a head. I emptied the last bit into the glass, rinsed out the green bottle that it came in and returned to my goblet to find the thinnest head that I have ever seen, literally one thin layer of "head" made up of a single layer of "bubbles?" A really cool effect. What head there was is a medium brown. The body is absolutely black with literally no light coming through at all. I really enjoyed that effect but again it was with a vigorous pour. Lastly, a great effect of "step wise" lacing reflecting the depth of each one of my sips. 5.0

S Sweet whiskey like malt but not a dark roast malt as I expected. I am not a big fan of whiskey (I really hate it actually...much too strong) but this is inviting. I certainly do get a smell of alcohol too along with the whiskey (because of the whiskey?). This is a big smelling beer and of course the smell is inviting. 4.0

T Like dirty motor oil and whiskey mixed together, I first get a punch of alcohol followed by the onset, like a wave coming onto a beach, of the darkest of dark roast malt (burnt malt?!) that lingers for about a minute and then all of that gives way to a much longer (5 min) alcohol warmth and whiskey like sweetness. This is the only beer that I planned on drinking tonight and I am glad for that. It is hard for me to imagine drinking this and ANYTHING else. It is that big of a beer. 3.5

M You know, thinner than I would have guessed and would have liked. Add that to the rather harsh spikes of whiskey tinged alcohol and the wave of dark roast malt and this beer manages to be on the watery side but still is a mouthful of blasts of tastes and fullness. The bigness is actually distracting, some thick smoothness would have been very welcomed. 2.5

D This is such a huge beer that it makes it difficult to drink. I honestly think that it is too big, too dark, too black and too much alcohol. I have drank about half of it and I should make it to the end but it will likely take me about 25 minutes. 2.5

Notes: Man, it is difficult to consider this beer in that a beer is traditionally meant to be enjoyed repeatedly and possibly to be enjoyed as a series among friends (a more social, gregarious drink vs. wine). Well this one could simply not be drank like that due to its size, huge tastes and high alcohol content (it surpases many wines in ABV). I enjoyed getting a chance to try it but I cannot see getting this again.

adamette, Nov 21, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +27.1%

This beer is a distillation of mourning. If, from every tear wrung from the survivors of every casualty of war in humankind's history, a liquid concentrate were formed, it would fill but a single bottle of Mikkeller Black. It's like sorrow syrup. It is the sweetened lactation from the teat of a cremated demon, brewed with ash and soot and burning hate. It also has a ridiculous alcohol content, which encourages over-the-top metaphors and hyperbole.

This beer is so dark that it actually bends light. Eyeing it from across the room, I have no choice but to believe that Black is attempting to suck my whole kitchen into my snifter. The head is thin and slow to appear. The bubbles are so fine they might actually be powdered bones.

This beer does not have an aroma. It has what can only be called "heavy fumes."

The flavor is unreal. It's like what would happen if you drank the remnants of burning tires thrown on a mountain of brown sugar and coffee beans soaked in diesel fuel. It's been said before, but this beer just tastes...dark. I now know and appreciate the magnitude of this statement. Pine tar, regular tar, cigarette tar, and fire are the primary flavors. Follow it up with sweetness, and a psychotically bitter hoppy burst on the finish, and you have one angry brew. Seriously, this beer has something to prove. It wants to uppercut a punkass. If Islamic extremists were drinkers, they would exclusively drink Black during the month of Ramadan, then promptly blow something the fuck up. It has the impetus to initiate ass-kicking protocols, brought to you by the taking of names.

Once in my mouth, I have to thoroughly chew before I swallow. A solid attribute to this amazing beer.

All in all, this beer is in my top 10, maybe top 5. My life is better having experienced it. If you can find some, try it. You will never be the same.

Beernoisseur, Nov 19, 2009
3.53/5  rDev -7.1%

A= pours a complete black out black color no light gets through but I did notice that it was a nice brown color when pouring it. The head is actually pretty good for such a high ABV beer. It's a solid brown color mocha I would say and stands two fingers high with really impressive retention and lacing. Great for a high ABV stout.
S= pungent to say the least. I can smell it from a few feet away. There is some booze detected of course and loads of roasty chocolate. The chocolate and roasted burnt coffee smell meld together nicely. Like I said the alcohol is present and sort of takes a little away from this being perfect.
T= Woah that's a lot of flavor. Like a burnt coffee overload. It actually tastes quite a bit like over concentrated burn coffee. There's some chocolate in it and some smoke coming through as well. The alcohol I smelled is somewhat hidden in the back because the super intense flavors assaulting my taste buds. This is unlike anything I've ever tasted. This isn't beer it's beer concentrate. I get some heat coming down my throat and warming my belly as well. Super sweet on top of the intense roast as well but that doesn't come through till it reaches the back of your tongue.
M= Sooo sticky and coating. After you take a sip you don't need to take another one for quite a while.
D= Hmmm really can't say this is to drinkable. It's pretty good and I may buy it again but drinkable???? not really. It is gonna take me a looong time to drink all of this and I'm already a half hour in and I've only been able to get a couple big sips in. This is the most intense beer I've ever had by far. The only way to drink this beer and not devote a night to it is take frequent sips to completely saturate your buds and then you can slow down and it's not as intense. This beer is Nucking Futs

jjanega08, Nov 17, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +12.6%

Pours a thick, viscous black with a big, thick and firm light brown head.

Nose of pure and assertive black chocolate, espresso, molasses and whiskied black cherries.

Mouthfeel is is thick, rich and creamy. Very heavy bodied and with a real quality feel. That there is a long lasting head and real carbonation is a tribute to the brewer who pulled out 17.5% abv.

A bad first impression of flavored coal gives way to a more reasonable interpretation as one drinks. Flavors are, in a word, INTENSE. I love extreme beers and I love stouts. This may actually be one close to being "too extreme." The flavors are gigantic, assertive and intense sweet licorice cherried black espresso with the bitterest of black chocolate and undertones of sweetness and black cherries with whisky and molasses. This is Black Tuesday without the finesse. The more I drink it the more I like it but it's like a bitter espresso/bitter chocolate syrup in character in the finish.

This may be the "biggest" beer I've ever tasted-the espresso equivalent of 120 IPA, if not even more aggressive. Quite the effort.

GRG1313, Nov 03, 2009
3.08/5  rDev -18.9%

375mL bottle, at least a year old, poured into a tulip.

No surprise that it pours pitch black and produces a small but very creamy tan head that shows good staying power and leaves plenty of boozy legs on the way down.

The aroma is pretty strong with lots of sweetness and alcohol. There is a heavily roasted espresso character with lots of burnt sugar and sweet dark fruits. It's smells almost medicinal in the end but still ashy. Weird.

If the aroma is strong, then the taste is downright overpowering, and not necessarily in a good way. The first sip is a blast of burnt chocolate malts, caramalized fruit and burnt coffee, but with a prevalent sweetness from the booze and sugar. Also some charred wood and smoke in the finish with a massive alcohol burn. Again, it gets almost medicinal in the finish, like cough syrup with a recently extinguished cigarette butt dropped in.

The mouthfeel is full-bodied, thick, syrupy sweet and massively boozy. But still charred and ashy.

I'm not exactly sure what to make of this one. There are definitely some good flavors in there, but the overall character is so ridiculously ashy and sweet altogether that my taste buds are left in shock. To say the drinkability is low would be a mild understatement. I need to go lie down....

gford217, Oct 23, 2009
4.75/5  rDev +25%

Holy shit, Batman, this is one helluva beer. It pours an opaque black with a half inch tan head, leaving tons and tons of lace in its wake. Smells--and this is from 6 inches away--of chocolate and coffee. Taste is huge: coffee, chocolate, cherry, molasses, bourbon. Major licorice aftertaste lasting minutes. Minutes, I tell you!!!! Tons of flavor. I didn't realize the alcohol content was so high, until I started to feel it. Well hidden for a stout. This is such a huge beer, I couldn't rate drinkability that high. It took me 90 minutes to get through it. But holy fuck, this is a big huge great beer. One of the best stouts I've ever had.

PhxHorn, Oct 21, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +13.2%

A- Pours a very dark black thick stout with a very thin white head. Not much lacing at all.

S- Smells very strong at first like alcohol. Then when swirled around for a little bit the smells of sweet coffee, caramel and molasses.

T- Taste is absolutely amazing! Very strong coffee, bitter dark chocolates with some smokiness and lots of alcohol.

M- Very smooth which is surprising because it's almost like taking a shot of pure alcohol. Very warm. Makes your mouth water intensely after every sip.

D- Drinkability is good but because it's so strong we wouldn't be able to have more then the one bottle, Unless you plan on getting completely smashed.

Cheers and enjoy!
Tom and Analise

Tom8Analise, Oct 19, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +11.1%

Snagged a bottle up as I finally found it at The BeerMongers here on 12th and SE Division. Nice small bottle... and found out it was a stunning green once I poured the beverage. 17.5% Alcohol.... huge.

- Nice rich solid black stout... very mild and bubbly cider-like head... expected from a strong imperial... fits the style to a "T".

- Nice rich roasted chocolate malt.. very deep in aroma.. some nuttiness.. booziness.. grain, oat, and bittering chocolate and/or coffee bean essence.. must be from the malt only.

- Wonderful rich and complex stout... slightly boozy but in a fine liquor kind of way.. like a fine bourbon on the rocks... but yet a thick and creamy black stout that is full of wonderful rich malts, oats, and nuts. Truly a winner of a stout.. well ahead of its class.

- Rich and chewy flavor.. but the booze aspect makes the mouth water, and ready the palate for another few chugs.

- Few chugs are very possible... I can actually drink this think like a beer.. it is smooth and hides it's strength very very well. What a fantastic stout... right up there with Older Viscosity. A must have!

Docer, Sep 28, 2009
1.43/5  rDev -62.4%

Bottle into Sam Adams lager glass. Been sitting on this one for awhile. I'm not sure if there's even been a second batch, but this one is definitely from the first if so.

Pours pitch black, like motor oil, with absolutely zero carbonation. Nada. Very thick and viscous, to the point of not even looking like beer anymore.

Nose is crazy solvent like, paint thinner with a touch of old coffee grinds and sickly antifreeze sweetness. Not at all pleasant to me.

Taste is really not any better. Huge boozy solvent alcohol, ashy burnt bitterness, sweetness that's beyond cloying and tastes like pure high fructose corn syrup - it's like I filled a glass halfway with corn syrup, halfway from there with paint thinner, and then stirred in the rest with somebody's grandmother's ashes. I couldn't even bring myself to swallow. I spit back into the glass several times as I walked to the sink to drain-pour this monstrosity.

Mouthfeel is slick, no carbonation, literally like drinking something with texture halfway between motor oil and syrup.

Drinkability is nil. I couldn't get one sip down. Mark this one off as a fail.

JohnQVegas, Sep 26, 2009
3.48/5  rDev -8.4%

Big thanks to MackTBone and third lap for bringing by a sampler.

A - Pours black (what did you expect?), with no head, some carbonation and leaves no lacing.

S/T - Heavy notes of soy, some caramel and a moderate dose of alcohol.

M - Full-bodied, very warming, viscous and moderate alcohol. Malt dominated as well.

D - A good beer, but the alcohol was a little too warming. There were probably an abundance of hops as well, but the warmth covered up most of the hop flavor.

MisterClean, Sep 22, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +10%

Omg this has been sitting in my friends cellar for a year and omg. It's awesome.

A- black as night and more.

S- soy and more

t- a beautiful boucay of hops and devilish stotness that covers spectrum of flavors.

M- in course with the style

d- not fit the weak of heart but easily agood option!!!

macktbone, Sep 20, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured from the corked bottle into S. Smith's pint glass

A - green bottle, with attractive minimalist design. would never have been able to tell the bottle was green while the beer was sill in it. cheap foam cork is used, and pries off with a minimal effort. pours a beautiful black, thick looking liquid. the head is an intriguing medium brown colour, very large bubbles. liquid is completely black/opaque, no semblance of light even at the bottom of the glass. there are some yeast chunklettes floating around

S - well, from the second the cork came off one could smell the pervasiveness of the alcohol. there is a faint coffee smell, but it becomes a but zingy, to use a highly empirical term, in the nose. a small under tone of bakers chocolate

T - goddamn! for how much booze they back into this bad boy it is smooth as a fine whiskey. a bit of sweetness hits the tongue and lips at first; the light sweetness molds in with the alcohol whilst in the mouth. the finish has some odd taste a 'freshness' to it that is like when one eats a bunch of strong mint gum, this is most likely the alcohol messing with the palate; this occurs before the residual flavours exit and before the hardcore bitterness kicks in, the real after taste. the after aftertaste is great, with chocolate and espresso remains in the mouth, sort of like eating some chocolate covered espresso beans, the flavor is molded very well. the nose is a bit misleading, there is only a strong bitter hop taste for the most part during the actual drinking, and the other flavours come back once the hops and booze have gone away. but, I'm not complaining. needless to say, the body is like a sumo wrestler.

MF - very thick, almost syrupy, and there is a supreme lack of carbonation.

D - for how much alcohol there is in this brew, I am astounded at how drinkable it is. not flinching, nothing.

erz316, Sep 17, 2009
3.88/5  rDev +2.1%

A: Poured an extremely dark black with no head or lacing. Syrupy in appearance.
S: Notes of ripe fruits like figs and prunes. Malty with strong hints of sweet chocolate.
T: Very sweet and syrupy. A string note of sweet dark chocolate up front. Roasted malt blending with ripe figs and prunes. Earthy flavors with a note of tobacco. Noticeable alcohol heat in the end.
M: Full and buttery with no carbonation.
D: An interesting beer. Strong and flavorful. Great for sipping by the fire.

spratmi, Sep 13, 2009

12.7oz. Green Bottle
Black Foil/Caged/Corked
Cork: 12/12/17

Pours a thick black color, some carbonation, little fizzy tan head, with some sticky lacing to follow. The nose is pretty nice, malty, with lots of chocolate/toffee, hints of alcohol, slight vanilla. The taste is not bad for a brew this high in ABV, malty, lots of dark stuff, sweet on the lips, the ABV hits ya pretty good, definitely a sipper. Medium body. Drinkable, not too bad, I like it, but it is a hot brew, ABV pretty up front, recommended.

Wasatch, Jul 21, 2009
3.55/5  rDev -6.6%

I'm not sure of when it was bottled, but it I've had the bottle for at least a year.

A- Pours pitch black and pretty viscous. Absolutely no head. I swirled the wine glass very hard and only managed to get a very thin dark amber ring, which quickly dissipated to nothing.

S- Alcohol. Followed by roasted malt, hints of chocolate and bourbon. Sweet plum and dark fruit come through as well.

T- Alcohol. Very sweet and syrupy, yet still hot, even after a year in the cellar. Bitter roasted barley and dark fruit. It also tastes slightly oxidized.

M- Sticky and hot

D- I split this with a friend and took quite some time to get through my six ounces. Overall, it wasn't bad, but:
1) Way too hot, even after cellering
2) The amount of time it takes to calm the alcohol would ruin the rest of the beer.
3) Far too expensive

JoeMayo, Jul 06, 2009
2.33/5  rDev -38.7%

12.7oz bottle shared with family at my dad's 50th b-day party. the portion that I drank was poured into a pint glass.

A - black with barely any semblance of a head....'twas more like a halo of carbonation, and it wasn't even enough to determine its color.

S - alcohol, ethyl alcohol, ethanol, the product of an acid-catalyzed hydration of ethene. holy hell, this smells boozy. I don't know when this beer was originally released but on June 23rd 2009, it was still the booziest beer I've ever had (save for maybe, maybe, DFH WWS). vanilla, cocoa, roasted barley.

T - milk chocolate, coffee/espresso, enormous alcohol presence that is present throughout but fully comes to fruition in the end. oak, vanilla, tobacco, char/smoke, molasses. it was a very good and complex Imperial Stout, but everything got lost in the excessive alcohol.

M - it burns. it was very lightly carbonated...if at all?

D - this was like drinking bourbon, or vodka mixed with an RIS. very, very, very low drinkability for me.

bowersdm, Jun 27, 2009
3.6/5  rDev -5.3%

Pours black with a very small creamy dark tan head.

Scent of molasses, dark fruit, earth, coffee, and alcohol. I've been aging this one since its release and there is still a strong alcohol presence.

Taste of roasted malts, chocolate, dark fruits, and alcohol. Powerful and sinus biting flavor here, I would not mind revisiting this in a year. The alcohol is still fairly strong, but I bet this brew will be pretty damn good in a couple years.

Mouthfeel is heavy bodied, thick, oily and nearly flat.

paco1029384756, Jun 03, 2009
2.03/5  rDev -46.6%

A: Pours a viscous and opaque black color. At first a small bubbly tan head forms and quickly recedes to nothing. No lace.
S: Smoky and woody malt. More burnt malt than roasted. Some chocolate and molasses. Some raisin. Tons of alcohol.
T: Sickly sweet malt that tastes of molasses, raisin, and chocolate powder. The chocolate is very bitter. Burnt dry malt again. Charcoal and ash. The alcohol is overwhelming.
M/D: A full body that has a syrupy and sticky consistency. Almost no carbonation, and very dry. Hot alcohol all the way down. I am going to have to force myself to finish this.

This is a step up from the Barleywine. Though that is saying very little. I did not enjoy this.

champ103, May 31, 2009
3.6/5  rDev -5.3%

A - Very black, not much pop with the cork. Extremely small head. Very little lacing. High ABV would account for lots of this.

S - Sweet malt and booze.

T - Wow. A cocktail beer! Booze, burnt coffee, toasted malt, bitter and did I say boozy?

M - Surprising good for the ABV. Carb sufficient, a little out of whack and overly bittering on the palate at finish.

D - Check please. One is MORE than enough.

srandycarter, May 12, 2009
1.95/5  rDev -48.7%

375ml bottle that's prompted a number of visitors to ask "what's with that Japanese shit in your pantry?". Pours... well, black. Black as the blackest thing you can think of. No head, just a couple of tiny colonies of brown bubbles floating about. Motor oil in a glass.

On the nose... mostly lawnmower fuel. Burnt sugar cane, hints of raisins and dark fruits. Smells face-meltingly sweet. I think I'm in trouble.

Taste-wise, I can't make sense of it at all.
Port again, predominantly, but with twice the ABV - like someone's poured a little rubbing alcohol or some of my Uncle's horrible home-made Grappa into it. All your typical port notes are in there - raisin, rum, prunes, maybe a little tobacco - but just completely swept away by stinging alcohol and over-the-top sweetness. Dark chocolate in the aftertaste, which is the most stout-esque thing about it, IMO.

Relatively thick, oily mouthfeel with zero carbonation. Not unlike drinking a commensurate amount of molasses. Burns a little going down.

What the hell was that?

* edit: I can't convince anyone to help me finish this off, so this will be my first ever drain pour. Not the skunked 1.5L bottle of Grolsch someone gave me recently, not even my friend's Dad's 2% ABV shampoo-tasting homebrew that he insists on giving me a dozen of every Christmas.
If you have a bottle of this, don't open it for another 7 or so years, and if you happen to, forgive Mikkeller because they do some otherwise fine work :P

Parrotshake, May 11, 2009
3.28/5  rDev -13.7%

Pours deep jet black into a snifter. Very little life in the head, just a touch of burnt mocha. Hardly any lacing but a solid oily coating. Smells of burnt malts, soy sauce, chocolate, anise, charcoal, and alcohol. Tastes of citrus peel, raisins, and some sweet malts up front briefly along with a touch of chocolate and caramel before an assertive blow of burnt toast, soy sauce, charcoal, alcohol, and burnt coffee comes in and crushes your tastebuds and leaves your body shivering in fear. Full in body with low carbonation, sticky and thick. A sweet barleywine-like beginning with an insane abrasive charring finish and lots of booziness. Way too much to handle even 1/2 a bottle of, thank goodness for friends to share with. Though when all is said and done, they may wonder if you consider them a friend or an enemy!

HopDerek, May 04, 2009
2.38/5  rDev -37.4%

The beer pours a dark black brown color with minimal head retention, but lots of sticky lacing. I've seen this look before in beer with prolonged barrel aging, so this look is a good thing IMO. On the nose the beer smells quite impressive. There is a huge aroma of coffee, chocolate, vanilla and booze. In fact the booze comes across as a bit over the top, the first tip off that there might be something wrong here. On the palate, I'm afraid this beer is a complete mess. The alcohol is not very well integrated into this beer at all, and at least IMO, only further erodes the flavor profile. Initially I get a huge blast of coffee, licorise and booze, with a very hoppy, strongly licorise finish. There is also an underlying sweetness which almost makes me want to gag. The sweet licorise flavor really dominates in this beer and does not pair well with the high alcohol. Mouthfeel is medium bodied to full, and the beer is fairly smooth. However, even here the excessive boozy sweetness really detracts from this beer. Maybe some short term cellaring will help to tame the alcoholic burn I'm getting, but right now this is hard to take. As for drinkability, IMO it isn't, and i've scored it accordingly.

I'm a big fan of Mikkeller beers and was really looking forward to trying this one. However, this beer strikes me as an experiment that's gone very badly wrong, leaving me with a rather expensive glass of drain pour. Disappointing.

John_M, Apr 02, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -10.5%

Appearance: Pours a black, intimidating, perfectly still body, but, man, check out those legs!

Smell: Scent of blackstrap molasses, prunes, and espresso reinforced by cutting whiffs of fusel alcohol.

Taste: Sharp roasted malt taste with concentrated molasses, espresso, and an altogether jarring, wincing sweetness. Heavy pour of dark fruit liqueur. Caustic bitterness in the middle. A few drops of soy sauce. Plenty of hot reckless alcohol from beginning to end, particularly on the sweet, roasty finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-plus body. Sans carbonation.

Drinkability: This one is crude and unrefined, just as it was when I first had it nearly a year ago. I would certainly rather have a WWS, but that's just me. Let's set a tentative revisit date of, oh, let's say 2018. Though, I'm starting to wonder if this one will actually improve.

ChainGangGuy, Mar 31, 2009
3.15/5  rDev -17.1%

(From notes)

A - Nearly black color, and even though had a more vigorous pour, really couldn't get a well-developed head.

S - Really peppery alcohol, boozey, whisky aromas. Almost a bit of a savory aroma, followed up with a punch of really dark fruit sweetness. Just a hint of roasted malts

T - After the initial shock of alcohol, the taste is very deep in its Imperial Stout qualities, pretty sweet underneath the alcohol burn and fewer roasted qualities than I would have like for the style. Just to be clear, this brew was beyond hot in the alcohol taste and really was overpowering to the detriment of the brew.

M - Pretty viscous, with a small tinge of carbonation. The alcohol burn really confused things here for me.

D - The booze really drives this portion of the rating down for me. I understand what Mikkeller was trying to do, and I really think aging this brew is more important than anything I can say in this review. In short, barely drinkable for me given the alcohol shock in the flavor.

Overall, this is definitely experimental and I am glad to have had the opportunity to try it. I would not buy this again, or at least try it again, unless it had been aged for quite some time. Way too hot fresh. I'm sure that this could be a complex and interesting brew otherwise.

Nickls, Mar 28, 2009