1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Black (黑) - Mikkeller ApS

Black (黑)Black (黑)

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

American Double / Imperial Stout |  17.50% ABV

Brewed at De Proefbrouwerij.

Ingredients: Water, malt, roasted barley, dark cassonade, ale yeast and champagne yeast.

(Beer added by: kkipple on 02-19-2008)
3.7/5  rDev -2.6%

The name "Black" is certainly descriptive of the appearance of this one. It has only the slightest amber edges when directly backlit. The head is almost non-existent, as there is little or no carbonation to speak of. However, the bubbles that do appear tend towards the edges of the glass and are light brown (think not very chocolatey chocolate milk). The smell is huge, bursting with alcohol, chocolate and molasses. Hints of caramel and vanilla as well. Though alcohol dominates, it is done well here, and is very enticing.

This beer would benefit from a lot more carbonation, but DAMN is it still good! Warning: only for drinkers who don't mind super-alcoholic beers. Once you overcome the nose-burning, eye watering alcohol burn, a pleasant cherry sweetness filters through, and introduces all of the flavors promised by the smell. Lots of chocolate, molasses and caramel, and lots and lots of alcohol (goddamn). Super roasty in the finish and aftertaste, which gets slightly unpleasant if you wait too long between sips (leaves an ashy or burnt cardboard taste). Certainly one of the most intense beers I've tried, and it is accompanied by an immediate buzz.

The mouthfeel lacks in carbonation is perhaps too hot (the alcohol lingers on the palate long after it is welcome). Further, I feel like my palate is dying an excruciatingly slow death. It is nice and thick though. Drinkability is so low because, well, there is no way I could drink more than one of these. Very good in small portions, but is not recommended for extended drinking sessions.

3.85/5  rDev +1.3%

A: Pours a deep dark black. Small mocha head, no retention or lace.

S: Smoke, ash, char, soy.

T: Nice balance of sweet and char. Cane sugar and brown sugar up front. The back end is earthy tar, smoke, and lots of char. Strong notes of burnt coffee, and a bit of alcohol burn.

M: Full in body, bitter finish.

D: Not drinkable, but very interesting and dare I say good.

4.1/5  rDev +7.9%

375 mL bottle with black foil, PVC mushroom cork and cage. The beer pours black (what else, come on) with a few scattered bubbles. The beer is somewhat glass coating, the way only a select few beers are which tend to be in the upper echelon alcohol range. The smell is smokey, like hickory, with some pruney malts and some obvious alcohol. I rather enjoyed the smell, almost like a fine tobacco and this "smoke bomb" is a definite departure from the sugar and booze bombs that are getting more commonplace.

The flavor consists of prune-like malts, gobs of smoke (like hickory smoke or even liquid smoke seasoning), and a light fruity tinge to it all. The finish is roasty with burnt black malts that actually rounds it out quite well. The body only seemed to be of a medium level with a low carbonation, which was surprising but not at all bad. I have to say my compatriots and I enjoyed sharing this cellared brew, though it is definitely a beer best enjoyed at the end of a night--the intense smokey and burnt malts will certainly wreak havoc on a palate.

4.03/5  rDev +6.1%

small bottle, corked and caged, foil topped.

A- Black as midnight, no head to speak of, pretty good pour. One of the darkest beers I've ever seen.

S- Malts, sweet, sugary, woozy boozy etc. Impossibly malty, sweet, syrupy. Powerful, potent, not off-putting but STRONG.

T- Wow. A sip is almost too much. Chocolate, coffee, expresso, bitter and sweet, tart, dark fruit, a real flavor bomb. Like drinking Satan's soul. More complex than World Wide Stout.. for better or worse.

M- Boozy. Thick. Almost too much. Took a while to finish this one.

D- Low. But I saw that one coming.

I'd have to give the nod to WWS... although I really like this beer. It's a bit more complex, a bit more demanding, and a bit less rewarding than WWS.

Worth seeking out, worth cellaring for YEARS, this one will age with the best of them.

3.53/5  rDev -7.1%

Reviewed from my tasting notes. Served in my 20oz Uprising chalice. I knew I wanted to try this beer, but I didn't really know much about it. Russ, my server, described it as "roofing tar with sugar."

Appropriately, this beer is black like the night. There is a brown foamy head that leaves impressive lacing. There is a coffee bean bitterness to the aroma. It's malty and robust. I summed up the taste as strong, dark, bitter, alcoholic. That seems to cover it, except for the syrupy sweetness that instantly hits you as you taste the beer. The 17.5% ABV is also very present in the taste; lots of alcohol. It leaves a sugary coating in your mouth. The body is very heavy and has low carbonation. I could only drink one of these in a sitting, and I'll probably never order one again. It's a strong, intimidating beer. I probably should have been better prepared for what I ordered and not made it my last beer of the night. Order this one carefully.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

A - It's black. No light is able to penetrate the egdes of my glass. The high abv keeps any real head from forming. There are a couple patches of foam here and there but that's it. No lacing to speak of. Pretty much what I expected.

S - Big dark fruit aromas permeate the entire aroma. Cherry, plum, raisin, they are all there. Some chocolate creeps in toward the end. Of course, at 17.5%, alcohol dominates. Period.

T - Taste is actually pretty bad. Think fingernail polish remover mixed with rubbing alcohol and chocolate covered cherries. This is just not for me. On the plus side, it does have a sherry kind of flavor going on. That doesn't even come close to pulling the flavor out of the gutter though.

M - Full bodied with little to no carbonation. Finish is hot and sweet with the dark fruit that seems to come and go. If your wondering, it's HOT.

D - Drinkability is non-existant. It's just too harsh and hot to enjoy on any level. Don't bother letting it warm because it is just as bad at room temperature. I know Mikkeller has produced some fine brews but this one should have gotten the axe before it was even released. Avoid.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Sampled from a 375-mL bottle at De Kulminator in Antwerp. (Thanks, Dirk!)

This stout poured jet-black in color with thin, sudsy foam that disspiated quickly, leaving a liquid that looked like black oil. The smell was full of chocolate, cherries, plums, and molasses, and a touch of coffee, pralines, and tobacco. There was a very strong malty aroma characteristic of imperial stouts. The taste was rich chocolate malt with flavors of molasses, and prunes. The taste was rather sweet up front but gave way to resinous hops at the finish. The mouthfeel was creamy and smooth with full body and low carbonation feel. It was warming. This was a very nice stout to sip and enjoy. Very nice, but too strong to want to drink more than one.

4.28/5  rDev +12.6%

This beer is very unusual. 17.5% alcohol and it sells for $15.99 for 375 ml!! I was only able to try a small amount but what an experience it was.

It pours a very dark brown with no light. The nose is intense with coffee and spice and charred wood.

I took very small sips. I mean 1/2 tsp. at a time. The taste literally exploded in my mouth. However it went away quickly. It took me a while to drink this small amount. Overall this was a very enjoyable beer but I will not pay the price for it.

4.08/5  rDev +7.4%

Thanks to BA chrism86 for sharing this one with me.

Pours a black as black colour, slightest brown tinge up to the light, looks like a really strong espresso shot, head is crema in appearance, ochre coloured, thin and dense. Some lace but not much. Looks good, but like a standard imperial stout - dark and thick.

Nose is strong and rich, with some distinct smokiness and a lot of rich chocolatey sweetness. Some obvious alcohol phenols aren't enough to smother the aroma, overall very rich, dark and pleasant. Appealing indeed.

Taste is quite intense at first, but actually intensely sweet more than anything. A lot of berry flavours, blue and black mostly, very jammy in character and almost approaching dessert topping thanks to syrupy thick mouthfeel. A strong dark chocolate flavour comes through on the mid along with a slight nutty character that blends well with phenolic alcohol spiciness that emerges later. Has a dessert wine sweetness at the back and creates a slightly dizzying effect, a very potent and robust stout, not for the faint-hearted.

Great thick feel, a little bit of a crust almost, if that makes sense, very chewy almost to the point of solidity.

Dangerous, dangerous beer. 17.5% and drinkable as anything. Very tasty.

3.63/5  rDev -4.5%

Pours out a really dark black with one finger at most of brown suds leaving lacing around the glass.
Smell is like an old coffee and chocolate cherry mixed together. Definatly get the alcohol and the plum and raisin.
Taste is very strong of coffee and black burnt sugar with alcohol. There is a smoke quality here. This one is way over the top.
Even though it isn't pleasant it still tastes like nothing else out there. This might be good on a cold december night when the electricity goes off and all you have to keep you warm is the dog.
Mouthfeel is clean enough but the alcohol keeps the palate cleansed where you don't notice any sugars.
Nope on the Drinkability. Don't want any more than a shot glass of this one.

3.38/5  rDev -11.1%

Live review. Poured from the 12.7 oz. corked, caged and black foil wrapped bottle that I found in the basement of HopCat in Grand Rapids, MI while on a brief tour there. I subsequently purchased the bottle but I do not recall how much I paid. The cork looks synthetic and has a date written on it: 12/12/17, presumably the "best by" date. 17.5% ALC./VOL. also mentioned on the label. Poured into my Westvleteren silver rimmed trappist style goblet.

A With a vigorous pour this beer at first appeared to not have a head. I emptied the last bit into the glass, rinsed out the green bottle that it came in and returned to my goblet to find the thinnest head that I have ever seen, literally one thin layer of "head" made up of a single layer of "bubbles?" A really cool effect. What head there was is a medium brown. The body is absolutely black with literally no light coming through at all. I really enjoyed that effect but again it was with a vigorous pour. Lastly, a great effect of "step wise" lacing reflecting the depth of each one of my sips. 5.0

S Sweet whiskey like malt but not a dark roast malt as I expected. I am not a big fan of whiskey (I really hate it actually...much too strong) but this is inviting. I certainly do get a smell of alcohol too along with the whiskey (because of the whiskey?). This is a big smelling beer and of course the smell is inviting. 4.0

T Like dirty motor oil and whiskey mixed together, I first get a punch of alcohol followed by the onset, like a wave coming onto a beach, of the darkest of dark roast malt (burnt malt?!) that lingers for about a minute and then all of that gives way to a much longer (5 min) alcohol warmth and whiskey like sweetness. This is the only beer that I planned on drinking tonight and I am glad for that. It is hard for me to imagine drinking this and ANYTHING else. It is that big of a beer. 3.5

M You know, thinner than I would have guessed and would have liked. Add that to the rather harsh spikes of whiskey tinged alcohol and the wave of dark roast malt and this beer manages to be on the watery side but still is a mouthful of blasts of tastes and fullness. The bigness is actually distracting, some thick smoothness would have been very welcomed. 2.5

D This is such a huge beer that it makes it difficult to drink. I honestly think that it is too big, too dark, too black and too much alcohol. I have drank about half of it and I should make it to the end but it will likely take me about 25 minutes. 2.5

Notes: Man, it is difficult to consider this beer in that a beer is traditionally meant to be enjoyed repeatedly and possibly to be enjoyed as a series among friends (a more social, gregarious drink vs. wine). Well this one could simply not be drank like that due to its size, huge tastes and high alcohol content (it surpases many wines in ABV). I enjoyed getting a chance to try it but I cannot see getting this again.

4.83/5  rDev +27.1%

This beer is a distillation of mourning. If, from every tear wrung from the survivors of every casualty of war in humankind's history, a liquid concentrate were formed, it would fill but a single bottle of Mikkeller Black. It's like sorrow syrup. It is the sweetened lactation from the teat of a cremated demon, brewed with ash and soot and burning hate. It also has a ridiculous alcohol content, which encourages over-the-top metaphors and hyperbole.

This beer is so dark that it actually bends light. Eyeing it from across the room, I have no choice but to believe that Black is attempting to suck my whole kitchen into my snifter. The head is thin and slow to appear. The bubbles are so fine they might actually be powdered bones.

This beer does not have an aroma. It has what can only be called "heavy fumes."

The flavor is unreal. It's like what would happen if you drank the remnants of burning tires thrown on a mountain of brown sugar and coffee beans soaked in diesel fuel. It's been said before, but this beer just tastes...dark. I now know and appreciate the magnitude of this statement. Pine tar, regular tar, cigarette tar, and fire are the primary flavors. Follow it up with sweetness, and a psychotically bitter hoppy burst on the finish, and you have one angry brew. Seriously, this beer has something to prove. It wants to uppercut a punkass. If Islamic extremists were drinkers, they would exclusively drink Black during the month of Ramadan, then promptly blow something the fuck up. It has the impetus to initiate ass-kicking protocols, brought to you by the taking of names.

Once in my mouth, I have to thoroughly chew before I swallow. A solid attribute to this amazing beer.

All in all, this beer is in my top 10, maybe top 5. My life is better having experienced it. If you can find some, try it. You will never be the same.

3.53/5  rDev -7.1%

A= pours a complete black out black color no light gets through but I did notice that it was a nice brown color when pouring it. The head is actually pretty good for such a high ABV beer. It's a solid brown color mocha I would say and stands two fingers high with really impressive retention and lacing. Great for a high ABV stout.
S= pungent to say the least. I can smell it from a few feet away. There is some booze detected of course and loads of roasty chocolate. The chocolate and roasted burnt coffee smell meld together nicely. Like I said the alcohol is present and sort of takes a little away from this being perfect.
T= Woah that's a lot of flavor. Like a burnt coffee overload. It actually tastes quite a bit like over concentrated burn coffee. There's some chocolate in it and some smoke coming through as well. The alcohol I smelled is somewhat hidden in the back because the super intense flavors assaulting my taste buds. This is unlike anything I've ever tasted. This isn't beer it's beer concentrate. I get some heat coming down my throat and warming my belly as well. Super sweet on top of the intense roast as well but that doesn't come through till it reaches the back of your tongue.
M= Sooo sticky and coating. After you take a sip you don't need to take another one for quite a while.
D= Hmmm really can't say this is to drinkable. It's pretty good and I may buy it again but drinkable???? not really. It is gonna take me a looong time to drink all of this and I'm already a half hour in and I've only been able to get a couple big sips in. This is the most intense beer I've ever had by far. The only way to drink this beer and not devote a night to it is take frequent sips to completely saturate your buds and then you can slow down and it's not as intense. This beer is Nucking Futs

4.28/5  rDev +12.6%

Pours a thick, viscous black with a big, thick and firm light brown head.

Nose of pure and assertive black chocolate, espresso, molasses and whiskied black cherries.

Mouthfeel is is thick, rich and creamy. Very heavy bodied and with a real quality feel. That there is a long lasting head and real carbonation is a tribute to the brewer who pulled out 17.5% abv.

A bad first impression of flavored coal gives way to a more reasonable interpretation as one drinks. Flavors are, in a word, INTENSE. I love extreme beers and I love stouts. This may actually be one close to being "too extreme." The flavors are gigantic, assertive and intense sweet licorice cherried black espresso with the bitterest of black chocolate and undertones of sweetness and black cherries with whisky and molasses. This is Black Tuesday without the finesse. The more I drink it the more I like it but it's like a bitter espresso/bitter chocolate syrup in character in the finish.

This may be the "biggest" beer I've ever tasted-the espresso equivalent of 120 IPA, if not even more aggressive. Quite the effort.

3.08/5  rDev -18.9%

375mL bottle, at least a year old, poured into a tulip.

No surprise that it pours pitch black and produces a small but very creamy tan head that shows good staying power and leaves plenty of boozy legs on the way down.

The aroma is pretty strong with lots of sweetness and alcohol. There is a heavily roasted espresso character with lots of burnt sugar and sweet dark fruits. It's smells almost medicinal in the end but still ashy. Weird.

If the aroma is strong, then the taste is downright overpowering, and not necessarily in a good way. The first sip is a blast of burnt chocolate malts, caramalized fruit and burnt coffee, but with a prevalent sweetness from the booze and sugar. Also some charred wood and smoke in the finish with a massive alcohol burn. Again, it gets almost medicinal in the finish, like cough syrup with a recently extinguished cigarette butt dropped in.

The mouthfeel is full-bodied, thick, syrupy sweet and massively boozy. But still charred and ashy.

I'm not exactly sure what to make of this one. There are definitely some good flavors in there, but the overall character is so ridiculously ashy and sweet altogether that my taste buds are left in shock. To say the drinkability is low would be a mild understatement. I need to go lie down....

4.75/5  rDev +25%

Holy shit, Batman, this is one helluva beer. It pours an opaque black with a half inch tan head, leaving tons and tons of lace in its wake. Smells--and this is from 6 inches away--of chocolate and coffee. Taste is huge: coffee, chocolate, cherry, molasses, bourbon. Major licorice aftertaste lasting minutes. Minutes, I tell you!!!! Tons of flavor. I didn't realize the alcohol content was so high, until I started to feel it. Well hidden for a stout. This is such a huge beer, I couldn't rate drinkability that high. It took me 90 minutes to get through it. But holy fuck, this is a big huge great beer. One of the best stouts I've ever had.

4.3/5  rDev +13.2%

A- Pours a very dark black thick stout with a very thin white head. Not much lacing at all.

S- Smells very strong at first like alcohol. Then when swirled around for a little bit the smells of sweet coffee, caramel and molasses.

T- Taste is absolutely amazing! Very strong coffee, bitter dark chocolates with some smokiness and lots of alcohol.

M- Very smooth which is surprising because it's almost like taking a shot of pure alcohol. Very warm. Makes your mouth water intensely after every sip.

D- Drinkability is good but because it's so strong we wouldn't be able to have more then the one bottle, Unless you plan on getting completely smashed.

Cheers and enjoy!
Tom and Analise

4.22/5  rDev +11.1%

Snagged a bottle up as I finally found it at The BeerMongers here on 12th and SE Division. Nice small bottle... and found out it was a stunning green once I poured the beverage. 17.5% Alcohol.... huge.

- Nice rich solid black stout... very mild and bubbly cider-like head... expected from a strong imperial... fits the style to a "T".

- Nice rich roasted chocolate malt.. very deep in aroma.. some nuttiness.. booziness.. grain, oat, and bittering chocolate and/or coffee bean essence.. must be from the malt only.

- Wonderful rich and complex stout... slightly boozy but in a fine liquor kind of way.. like a fine bourbon on the rocks... but yet a thick and creamy black stout that is full of wonderful rich malts, oats, and nuts. Truly a winner of a stout.. well ahead of its class.

- Rich and chewy flavor.. but the booze aspect makes the mouth water, and ready the palate for another few chugs.

- Few chugs are very possible... I can actually drink this think like a beer.. it is smooth and hides it's strength very very well. What a fantastic stout... right up there with Older Viscosity. A must have!

1.43/5  rDev -62.4%

Bottle into Sam Adams lager glass. Been sitting on this one for awhile. I'm not sure if there's even been a second batch, but this one is definitely from the first if so.

Pours pitch black, like motor oil, with absolutely zero carbonation. Nada. Very thick and viscous, to the point of not even looking like beer anymore.

Nose is crazy solvent like, paint thinner with a touch of old coffee grinds and sickly antifreeze sweetness. Not at all pleasant to me.

Taste is really not any better. Huge boozy solvent alcohol, ashy burnt bitterness, sweetness that's beyond cloying and tastes like pure high fructose corn syrup - it's like I filled a glass halfway with corn syrup, halfway from there with paint thinner, and then stirred in the rest with somebody's grandmother's ashes. I couldn't even bring myself to swallow. I spit back into the glass several times as I walked to the sink to drain-pour this monstrosity.

Mouthfeel is slick, no carbonation, literally like drinking something with texture halfway between motor oil and syrup.

Drinkability is nil. I couldn't get one sip down. Mark this one off as a fail.

3.48/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Big thanks to MackTBone and third lap for bringing by a sampler.

A - Pours black (what did you expect?), with no head, some carbonation and leaves no lacing.

S/T - Heavy notes of soy, some caramel and a moderate dose of alcohol.

M - Full-bodied, very warming, viscous and moderate alcohol. Malt dominated as well.

D - A good beer, but the alcohol was a little too warming. There were probably an abundance of hops as well, but the warmth covered up most of the hop flavor.

4.18/5  rDev +10%

Omg this has been sitting in my friends cellar for a year and omg. It's awesome.

A- black as night and more.

S- soy and more

t- a beautiful boucay of hops and devilish stotness that covers spectrum of flavors.

M- in course with the style

d- not fit the weak of heart but easily agood option!!!

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured from the corked bottle into S. Smith's pint glass

A - green bottle, with attractive minimalist design. would never have been able to tell the bottle was green while the beer was sill in it. cheap foam cork is used, and pries off with a minimal effort. pours a beautiful black, thick looking liquid. the head is an intriguing medium brown colour, very large bubbles. liquid is completely black/opaque, no semblance of light even at the bottom of the glass. there are some yeast chunklettes floating around

S - well, from the second the cork came off one could smell the pervasiveness of the alcohol. there is a faint coffee smell, but it becomes a but zingy, to use a highly empirical term, in the nose. a small under tone of bakers chocolate

T - goddamn! for how much booze they back into this bad boy it is smooth as a fine whiskey. a bit of sweetness hits the tongue and lips at first; the light sweetness molds in with the alcohol whilst in the mouth. the finish has some odd taste a 'freshness' to it that is like when one eats a bunch of strong mint gum, this is most likely the alcohol messing with the palate; this occurs before the residual flavours exit and before the hardcore bitterness kicks in, the real after taste. the after aftertaste is great, with chocolate and espresso remains in the mouth, sort of like eating some chocolate covered espresso beans, the flavor is molded very well. the nose is a bit misleading, there is only a strong bitter hop taste for the most part during the actual drinking, and the other flavours come back once the hops and booze have gone away. but, I'm not complaining. needless to say, the body is like a sumo wrestler.

MF - very thick, almost syrupy, and there is a supreme lack of carbonation.

D - for how much alcohol there is in this brew, I am astounded at how drinkable it is. not flinching, nothing.

3.88/5  rDev +2.1%

A: Poured an extremely dark black with no head or lacing. Syrupy in appearance.
S: Notes of ripe fruits like figs and prunes. Malty with strong hints of sweet chocolate.
T: Very sweet and syrupy. A string note of sweet dark chocolate up front. Roasted malt blending with ripe figs and prunes. Earthy flavors with a note of tobacco. Noticeable alcohol heat in the end.
M: Full and buttery with no carbonation.
D: An interesting beer. Strong and flavorful. Great for sipping by the fire.

12.7oz. Green Bottle
Black Foil/Caged/Corked
Cork: 12/12/17

Pours a thick black color, some carbonation, little fizzy tan head, with some sticky lacing to follow. The nose is pretty nice, malty, with lots of chocolate/toffee, hints of alcohol, slight vanilla. The taste is not bad for a brew this high in ABV, malty, lots of dark stuff, sweet on the lips, the ABV hits ya pretty good, definitely a sipper. Medium body. Drinkable, not too bad, I like it, but it is a hot brew, ABV pretty up front, recommended.

3.55/5  rDev -6.6%

I'm not sure of when it was bottled, but it I've had the bottle for at least a year.

A- Pours pitch black and pretty viscous. Absolutely no head. I swirled the wine glass very hard and only managed to get a very thin dark amber ring, which quickly dissipated to nothing.

S- Alcohol. Followed by roasted malt, hints of chocolate and bourbon. Sweet plum and dark fruit come through as well.

T- Alcohol. Very sweet and syrupy, yet still hot, even after a year in the cellar. Bitter roasted barley and dark fruit. It also tastes slightly oxidized.

M- Sticky and hot

D- I split this with a friend and took quite some time to get through my six ounces. Overall, it wasn't bad, but:
1) Way too hot, even after cellering
2) The amount of time it takes to calm the alcohol would ruin the rest of the beer.
3) Far too expensive