Black (黑) - Mikkeller ApS

Black (黑)Black (黑)

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

American Double / Imperial Stout |  17.50% ABV

Brewed at De Proefbrouwerij.

Ingredients: Water, malt, roasted barley, dark cassonade, ale yeast and champagne yeast.

(Beer added by: kkipple on 02-19-2008)
indiapaleale

3.03/5  rDev -20.1%

Pours like soy sauce, very viscous, insansely black and looks like it could stain wood. Little to no head or carbonation visible.

Smells of alcohol, cough syrup, bitter coffee, bitter chocolate. Smells like it could remove wood stain.

Wow. This is intense. A little too intense for me. Very astringent and extremely boozy. The alcohol just takes over and the other notes are only in the background.

I am sure if you age this beer for a few years it will settle in to something very complex. Right now its just too much for my palate.

02-10-2009 02:05:07 | More by indiapaleale
aforbes10

Iowa

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

Bottle I bought about a year or so ago in Indiana and lugged out here to CA when we moved. Decided to drink it now mainly because the reviews dont suggest any pressing need to age it. Pours Black, black, black. I guess they got the name correct. Surprisingly stable and tightly packed brown head reverse cascades out of the beer. Big grasping lacing clings and crawls up the glass. Looks fantastic. Nose is all chocolate, truffles, and sherry. Definite rich black cherry notes as well. Smells like a decadent chocolate cherry cheesecake. Wow. Two 5's so far, that's unexpected. Flavor is smooth as all hell...at first...then it opens up and hits you with a growing coffee grounds bitterness, along with deep dark cacao and vague dark fruits that i can't place. Some slightly grassy hop notes sneak in there too, before a growing, extremely pervasive alcohol warmth spreads across everything and demands your attention. Alcohol dries out the mouth a bit and leaves more of the coffee bitterness as an aftertaste. A massive flavor experience though...not the best imaginable flavor, but pretty good and totally extreme. Mouthfeel appropriately huge and thick, though i wouldn't say syrupy..more like just...thick. An exciting beer to drink...lots of fun and every sip is as interesting as the last.

01-30-2009 02:55:49 | More by aforbes10
mbrasi

3.18/5  rDev -16.1%

Bottle: Aroma is dark, boozy, a lot like WWS. Mostly whisky and molasses in the aroma. Flavor is not unpleasant as the aroma suggests. There is a definite alcoholic burn at the finish but I had worse. Taste is heavy roast, sweet, and some vinous notes in there. Alcohol is not that apparent until it hits the throat. Mouthfeel is like syrup, no carbonation. OK, I'm going to watch a movie and enjoy this one over the next two hours.

01-25-2009 04:02:41 | More by mbrasi
Reagan1984

3.25/5  rDev -14.2%

Foamy dark brown head tops this beer. It's really black in color... Gee is that where they got the name? The head shows insane retention and is going nowhere.

O.K., and I just a sucker for a label??? I see an Asian logo.... The aroma reminds me a bit of sake.... I thought that, then looked at the label...

WOOOOW.... Huge alcohol flavor.... Is this a black Sake??? Black licorice... dark roasted malt... alcohol, alcohol. Fairly rich sweetness...coconut? Some fruit in the middle...

Wow, this drinks like a hard alcohol drink vs. a beer.

Body is about medium in thickness, but it drinks big due to the high alcohol content...

It's interesting, but not up my alley..

Wonder if it's called Black since you might Black out if you drink the entire bottle...

01-24-2009 23:24:18 | More by Reagan1984
Goliath

3.93/5  rDev +3.7%

From the first time I laid eyes on this beer here on BA, I knew I had to have it. I'm very excited that it has finally come to my area, so here goes:

It was damn near impossible to open this bottle, and once I got the cork out it gave me the most pathetic little "pop".

Pours black and completely opaque. A thin foamy brown head forms on top and lingers with decent retention leaving soap sudsy lace behind.

The aroma is rather nice. A good bit of fruit strikes me up front as very pleasing. It's followed by a slight phenolic quality and a decent amount of alcohol. Certainly some big chocolate notes can be found, as well as raisins, and apple.

The taste is incredibly unique. I certainly would never have expected this to be my experience. I've taken all of one sip, and my palate is shot. An overwhelming symphony of discord is wreaking havoc on my mouth. It's slightly sweet up front with some indistinct fruit notes, and then quickly becomes a burnt, extremely bitter, boozey, phenolic mess on the finish. The lovely notes from the nose do not show in the taste of this beer. I'm having a difficult time describing what I'm encountering because I've never run in to anything that tastes quite like this. The more I drink, the more I can find some of my original thoughts. A bit of fruit, and a bit of chocolate are the dominant tones. Beyond that it's burnt sugar, burnt malt, rubber, and a resounding bitterness unlike any I've encountered before that's bordering on being painful in the back of my throat. Have they started adding pesticides? I'm disappointed, and yet not. It's certainly different and adventurous, but I don't think it's as positive as it could have been. For the price tag, it's too expensive to feel good about drain pouring it. I'd recommend giving it a whirl, but have 5 or 6 friends with you to share the tiny bottle with.

As the beer warms to room temp (since I sipped it over the course of a few hours), it really started to fit together better. The flavors seemed to marry a bit more and the harshness I once felt was subdued. I'm not sure how I want to rate the taste, but it will certainly get points for originality and pushing the bar which I can certainly appreciate.

Mouthfeel is full bodied, thick, syrupy, and slightly chewy. Carbonation is near nonexistent in this beer.

Drinkability is incredibly low. The flavor profile is massive and overwhelming and difficult to consume even in small doses. Certainly a fun lab experiment, but use caution when drinking this thing. I consider myself better for the experience.

01-24-2009 07:38:54 | More by Goliath
Beerenauslese

4.72/5  rDev +24.5%

This is a milestone interpretation of the stout style. Although the site says it is from Denmark, it is brewed at De Proef Brewery in Lochristi_hufte, Belgium. That is because, as their website says, "Mikkel is gipsy-brewer, he rents into breweries, and brews both in Denmark, around Europe and the United States."

A: Darkness. No pop from the cork release, poured from on high to give it a little head. The head produced leaves a nice lacing on the glass.

S: Coffee and all sorts of dried fruits.

T: Coffee and chocolate, dried cherries and other dark fruits. But also strong quinine, probably from the hops, giving it a fruity but bitter taste.

M: Thick and chewey.

D: Very drinkable and interesting, though in measured sips due to the 17.5% ABV. Very muscular beer overall.

01-22-2009 01:53:03 | More by Beerenauslese
badbeer

Iowa

3.9/5  rDev +2.9%

Opaque black with a creamy tan head that retains extremely well; surprising given the ABV. Smell is really boozy, with some roastiness and bakers chocolate also coming through. Taste is of milk chocolate, caramel, cherries, and espresso. Very intense and good taste; much better than the aroma. Full bodied with medium carbonation. Taste was very good, but I could see how a full bottle of this could take a whole evening. Thanks to DicksMcGee for the sample.

12-28-2008 01:15:16 | More by badbeer
GbVDave

3.83/5  rDev +1.1%

Poured from a corked, caged, and black foil wrapped 12.7oz bottle into two small snifters. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist!

Cork dated 12/12/17 (!)

A: Pours a slimy, syrupy, and viscous junkyard engine oil pan sludge, black. Light tan coffee head doesn't stay for long but leaves pretty lace in the glass.

S: HUGE aromas of booze, rum infused raisin, anise, chocolate, and molassas. Heather noticed a vinous, sweet green grape aroma.

T: Bakers chocolate, nuclear blackened malt, bitter hops, french press coffee, rum-raisin bread pudding, high cocoa % bitter dark chocolate. Cordial-type sweetness and loads of bitter bakers chocolate in the finish.

M: Slick and syrupy. Oily with a really dry finish. Coats the mouth like gear lube.

D: Extreme amounts of sweet, dry, and hot booze flavors and aromas make this one a challenge to consume. This one is tailor-made to share between at least two people. Been sitting on this bottle for the better part of a year, just waiting for the right time to pop the cork. It's -6º outside and we have to go walk 3 greyhounds (Mr. Bones, Bunny, and Camden) and an English Pointer mix (Beatrice)...it's so the right time for this beer!

12-21-2008 20:03:20 | More by GbVDave
corby112

4.8/5  rDev +26.6%

Pours pitch black with a foamy chocolate colored head that settles into a lasting lacing. Roasted malty aroma with chocolate, oatmeal, toffee, dark fruit, spice, alcohol, hops and candi sugar notes. Very complex with a nice roasted coffe maltiness, sweet dark chocolate, caramel, toffee, and alcohol warmth. The ABV is noticeable but pretty well masked considering it's strength.

12-06-2008 08:59:55 | More by corby112
PatronWizard

4.13/5  rDev +9%

The first in a long line of awesome extras from Egledhill in a sick trade. Received today. He may be a jackass, but damn that boy can trade. Since he was nice enough to drink one of the wonderful extras I sent to him, I felt obligated to open something he sent. And since he completely insulted me with all the extra extras, I need to drown my sorrows with a high ABV monster. Let's do it.

I dumped it pretty hard because I thought the alcohol wouldn't allow a head. So I'm dumb. This head stood up and cheered like Erik at a Liberace concert. One inch thick and creamy mocha. Quite nice. Probably don't need to say that the beer is black.

Smell is "damn that's a lot of alcohol." There may be a chocolate undertone but I can't keep my nose over the glass long enough to be sure. I love high ABV, but I think I may be in trouble here, like Erik's flimsy alibi in that missing transvestite case.

Took a taste. Wow. Big bite o'booze, but smooth as silk. Goes down like Erik after dollar drink night. Incredibly smooth. Ridiculously smooth. And boozy. I can taste some nice chocolate on my lips, but only after the mouthful is gone. Strong shit. Man, four drinks in and I already wish I had another to cellar. Looks like this one will stay on my wants. It's a beautiful combination of pleasure and pain like that time I ... <inner voice:"shut up">

Already described the feel but I'll elaborate. It's smooth. Like velvet. Only softer. And smoother. This shit is seriously smooth. And that brutal alcohol beatdown: makes me feel alive, unlike Erik's last date.

Drinkability is tough to call. Would I drink six? Hell yes, just not in a row. I may be down for two though, just to show off.

Warming brings about a dark fruit. Figs? Don't know. Feeling kinda silly after half this bottle. Time for the second glass.

OK, on the real: this beer is not for pussies, like Erik. Good thing I spent several years in high alcohol training with my friends Grey Goose, Johnny Walker, and Patron. Which is why I'm the motherfucking PatronWizard by the way. As this big ass beer seeps in, I find myself happier and happier. Glad I wrote most of this while sipping the first glass. Might even leave a typo, which I despise.

Overall: loved it

12-06-2008 06:17:50 | More by PatronWizard
froghop

Washington

3.23/5  rDev -14.8%

pours a jet black with a slight purple as it pours into the snifter, has a very small brown head, and some lacing.

smell is of lots of alcohol, dark fruits, cocoa, and a touch of coffee.

taste is thick, overbearing alcohol, bitter and bakers chocolate, and licorice.

overall it is just to much in the face with the alcohol that it gets in the way of any other smells and flavors, aging might help.

12-04-2008 00:12:04 | More by froghop
bkilpatr

Oregon

3.2/5  rDev -15.6%

Poured from a 375 ml bottle into a pint glass. 11/10/08. Bottle is corked & caged. Cool looking label art. Cork came out with a pathetic pop.

Pours the deepest of blacks, with a dense one-finger brown head. The head dropped slowly leaving nice lacing. The aroma is intense. Roasted malt, milk and dark chocolate, dark roasted coffee, dark fruit, red wine, rubber, alcohol, and more alcohol. Crazy and intense.

Taste is equally crazy and intense. Sweet malt and milk chocolate, bitter dark chocolate and roasted coffee. A very powerful alcohol presence in the taste, probably due to the 17.5% ABV. Dark fruit, licorice, and red wine/port flavors are also present. Taste is very bold and like a punch to the taste buds. Would be much, much better without the fusel alcohol taste.

Feel is smooth and creamy with low but ample carbonation. Lots of warming alcohol on the way down. Drinkability is very low for me. The fusel alcohols make it very hard to drink. I wasn't even able to finish the bottle. Way too hot right now.

Overall, it's not bad. I think the ABV is way too high, and if it were lower then this would be a really tasty and enjoyable beer. But instead, the fusel alcohol dominates everything making it hard to enjoy. It is unique, and an interesting experience, but definitely not worth the cost ($17)

11-11-2008 04:49:18 | More by bkilpatr
beerthulhu

3.93/5  rDev +3.7%

A: Poured a dark and vinous nature with a ½ finger creamy dark nutmeg colored head. A slight film lacing is left behind as the head settles with a fair retention.

S: moderatly strong with an acrid bitterness of roasted grains and bitter chocolate. Well lasting alcohol fusels linger about providing whiskey scents.

T: bitter with dominant alcohol fusels with dark roasted grains. The flavor wallops you from the get go with its huge dark roasted nature and demanding alcohol fusels. A brief and light dairy creamer sweetness is present for but a moment in the middle of the palate before quickly succumbing to a boozy finish of whiskey cask notes. Overall the flavor was dark, bitter, acrid and alcohol fueled.

M: light, and silky smooth in texture. A soft, near flat carbonation brings out the oily nature on the tongue while a huge whiskey alcohol finish reminds you of its 17.5% abv nature. A very faint chalkiness is detected as well.

D: Definitly a slow sipper and one is more then plenty at any sitting. Big whiskey alcohol, a bitter dark roasted palate will assault the taste buds at every opportunity. The strong boozy nature makes this an honest sipper and sure to please the heartiest of stout fans. One of the most extreme beers by style I can remember having.

10-25-2008 19:57:46 | More by beerthulhu
CoolJosh

3.88/5  rDev +2.4%

Saw this one in the cooler at Zeno's and was really intrigued by the bottle. Took it and home and noticed the actual bottle was green, which threw me off..

A: Pitch black. No hints of any light coming through, I've never seen anything this dark before. dark khaki head that doesn't last long.

S: Lots of flavors, I really had a difficult time distinguishing, there are so many and everything is really big and bold. Scents of darker cherry, dark grapes and other dark fruits, some vanilla, bitter chocolate, and some alcohol. One thing that my buddy brought up was a "Soy Sauce," smell.

T: WOW!!! Where do I begin, it all hits you at once and so fast. Slightly rougher start that smoothes out nicely, no tastes of alcohol surprisingly, and alot of darker fruits, vanilla, and some roasted coffee tastes.

Overall, a very bold, in your face black stout. Unbelievably complex in smell and taste, there's alot here. Surprisingly smooth, and expected the worst only to find an incredibly well put together beer. I picked up a second bottle, and placed comfortably in my 3+ years aging section!

10-22-2008 04:25:46 | More by CoolJosh
yemenmocha

Arizona

4.88/5  rDev +28.8%

Mindblowing.

Pours like oil into my snifter - completely opaque black with no hope of light going through. I tried holding it to my desk lamp - nothing. Dark brown head fades to a thin rimjob.

Nose is ruby port like with very dark chocolate and espresso crema. Maduro cigar.

Palate is very much like what an alcoholic double espresso would taste like - huge espresso component, creamy body, with warm alcohol in the background. Bitter chocolate is there towards the end also, and the finish leaves a faint maduro cigar "tar" flavor.

10-21-2008 02:19:09 | More by yemenmocha
treyrab

3.73/5  rDev -1.6%

Thanks to a fellow BA for sharing this monster. Poured it into a pint glass...

A: You cannot get blacker than this. No hints of brown anywhere to be seen. Dark brown small head.

S: Tons of soy sauce in the nose that dominates. There is also coffee and bitter chocolate. And, of course alcohol.

T: The taste is masked a bit by the incredible alcohol profile. Alcohol and coffee are the two main flavors noticed, but there are some dark fruits in there as well.

The other bottle is going to be aged for my great, great, great grandchildren. By that time, this should be ready!

10-16-2008 21:41:23 | More by treyrab
FtownThrowDown

4.05/5  rDev +6.9%

This was a very pleasant surprise from the weekend. I've not been a big fan of most things I've had from this brewer, but this was a standout beer. I'm very happy that I enjoyed this beer. Pours a very dark black in color. Very dark malts and a very dominant roast flavor in the mouth. Believe it or not, those flavors go well in here because of the ABV. It does not taste anywhere near 17.5% at all. Full on the mouthfeel. Rich and complex beer. I will definitely pick up a bottle or two if I come across them.

10-01-2008 01:09:20 | More by FtownThrowDown
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

Pours jet black with coffee smell. The coffee hits you in the finish,an excellent powerful bitterness that squares integrates with sweetness. Before that you are getting the vanilla and mollasses. Great for what it is. Medium plus mouthfeel. The 17.5% is definately a closer, have a bed nearby.
Had it again a few months later and chocolate and soy sauce. Thick pourer.

09-28-2008 01:54:34 | More by Sammy
baggio

Sweden

3.68/5  rDev -2.9%

Draught@Pegasus, Copenhagen

A: Black, almost no head.

S: Cocoa, Molasses, Alcohol, Ripe fruit.

T: Licorice, Chocolate, Ash, Alcohol, Vanilla, Dark caramel.

M: Thick and very sweet with low carbonation. A sipper for sure!

For a beer this strength, this is quite interesting. I found it to be quite pleasing to sip away at during an hour or so. Could use some aging tho. Worth a try!

09-16-2008 06:49:21 | More by baggio
kmeves

Wisconsin

3.73/5  rDev -1.6%

Pours a deep deep black with a small beige head. Aroma is big time sweet with dark fruits, vanilla, chocolate and mild alcohol. The flavor has more of an alcohol bite although not as much as you'd expect from a beer of this strength. Nice fruity notes, roasted grains, chocolate and some citrus. Large bodied, chewy texture. Long long sweet finish.

09-12-2008 23:12:32 | More by kmeves
Ljunkan

Sweden

4.33/5  rDev +14.2%

Pours an almost dark black colour with a nice mediumsized brownish head.

The smell is really powerful; chocolate, coffee, very sweet candy-like aromas. The alcohol is noticable. It really feels like we have a brutal monster here!

Taste is also brutal with notes of chocolate, coffee, vanilla, fudge, liqourice, even som port notes, brown sugar, honey, roasted malt and of course, alcohol. It ends with a long, long bitterness. I think I should have noticed the alcohol even more though, it almost feels balanced.

Mouthfeel is very fullbodied, oily, thick, long, bitter and "evil".

Drinkability is well, not that high. To be honest I almost struggled with some of the last cl. Drank a half bottle, but maybe it would be best to share it with three people instead of one.

09-01-2008 06:04:02 | More by Ljunkan
trill

Mississippi

3.93/5  rDev +3.7%

This one comes out impenetrably black, with a decent (though not long-lasting) head for a beer this big. The aroma is full of smooth, roasty coffee and chocolate, some old-ale type prunes, and a big whiff of port wine. The taste... ah, there's all that alcohol. It's medicinal and powerful but not inappropriate; the beer has enough substance to back it up. Equal portions of chocolatey, slightly smoky malt and big, grapey wine flavors dominate the flavor. There's a little bit of oak and some sweetness that leaves the finish sticky, but not overwhelming. My only complaint is that the high alcohol has a numbing effect on the palate; one 12.7oz bottle is more than enough for three people.

08-27-2008 21:53:24 | More by trill
duchessededc

District of Columbia

3.95/5  rDev +4.2%

Great aroma, great appearance...but it tastes like simple syrup on first taste. Once you get past that, great hickory and coffee flavors. Very yummy. The first taste is just cloying. I wonder if aging would improve the balance.

I would say age this for 2-3 years and try again. It's great now, but a little sugary.

08-01-2008 02:50:53 | More by duchessededc
Chinookie

District of Columbia

4.6/5  rDev +21.4%

A complex, unique, and outstanding beer. Thanks to BA for reporting on what's brewing in Denmark.

Appearance is opaque black. A medium head dissipated in thin streams of tan head.

Aroma is sweet alcohol and some roasted malt.

Taste is really where it hits you. Starts sweet and roasty, gives way to spice like sandalwood, and moves into anise, and finishes with a hickory-like smoke flavor. Overall sweet flavor stays with it throughout.

I look forward to aging one as well and trying in several years.

08-01-2008 02:40:52 | More by Chinookie
jmmakare

Missouri

4.03/5  rDev +6.3%

A- Pours pitch black with a little amount of tan head.

S- Unique smells of medicine and a bit of plum or prune. Not off-putting for me, but maybe for some people. My mother says it reminds her of the salve called Prid.

T- Coffee and dark chocolate with some dark fruits. Dark maltiness and a trailing of bitterness. Truly amazing.

M- Very smooth for the high ABV. Thick and almost chewy.

D- Not easily drinkable in large quantities, but excellent in small doses. I would highly recommend splitting a bottle among about 4 people for an aperitif.

This is quite an original brew. Definitely not for everyday drinking, but an excellent brew to try and age for a special occasion.

07-29-2008 01:26:30 | More by jmmakare