Black (黑) - Mikkeller ApS

Black (黑)Black (黑)

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

American Double / Imperial Stout |  17.50% ABV

Brewed at De Proefbrouwerij.

Ingredients: Water, malt, roasted barley, dark cassonade, ale yeast and champagne yeast.

(Beer added by: kkipple on 02-19-2008)
2.33/5  rDev -38.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 1.5

12.7oz bottle shared with family at my dad's 50th b-day party. the portion that I drank was poured into a pint glass.

A - black with barely any semblance of a head....'twas more like a halo of carbonation, and it wasn't even enough to determine its color.

S - alcohol, ethyl alcohol, ethanol, the product of an acid-catalyzed hydration of ethene. holy hell, this smells boozy. I don't know when this beer was originally released but on June 23rd 2009, it was still the booziest beer I've ever had (save for maybe, maybe, DFH WWS). vanilla, cocoa, roasted barley.

T - milk chocolate, coffee/espresso, enormous alcohol presence that is present throughout but fully comes to fruition in the end. oak, vanilla, tobacco, char/smoke, molasses. it was a very good and complex Imperial Stout, but everything got lost in the excessive alcohol.

M - it burns. it was very lightly carbonated...if at all?

D - this was like drinking bourbon, or vodka mixed with an RIS. very, very, very low drinkability for me.

bowersdm, Jun 27, 2009
3.6/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours black with a very small creamy dark tan head.

Scent of molasses, dark fruit, earth, coffee, and alcohol. I've been aging this one since its release and there is still a strong alcohol presence.

Taste of roasted malts, chocolate, dark fruits, and alcohol. Powerful and sinus biting flavor here, I would not mind revisiting this in a year. The alcohol is still fairly strong, but I bet this brew will be pretty damn good in a couple years.

Mouthfeel is heavy bodied, thick, oily and nearly flat.

paco1029384756, Jun 03, 2009
2.03/5  rDev -46.6%

A: Pours a viscous and opaque black color. At first a small bubbly tan head forms and quickly recedes to nothing. No lace.
S: Smoky and woody malt. More burnt malt than roasted. Some chocolate and molasses. Some raisin. Tons of alcohol.
T: Sickly sweet malt that tastes of molasses, raisin, and chocolate powder. The chocolate is very bitter. Burnt dry malt again. Charcoal and ash. The alcohol is overwhelming.
M/D: A full body that has a syrupy and sticky consistency. Almost no carbonation, and very dry. Hot alcohol all the way down. I am going to have to force myself to finish this.

This is a step up from the Barleywine. Though that is saying very little. I did not enjoy this.

champ103, May 31, 2009
3.6/5  rDev -5.3%

A - Very black, not much pop with the cork. Extremely small head. Very little lacing. High ABV would account for lots of this.

S - Sweet malt and booze.

T - Wow. A cocktail beer! Booze, burnt coffee, toasted malt, bitter and did I say boozy?

M - Surprising good for the ABV. Carb sufficient, a little out of whack and overly bittering on the palate at finish.

D - Check please. One is MORE than enough.

srandycarter, May 12, 2009
1.95/5  rDev -48.7%

375ml bottle that's prompted a number of visitors to ask "what's with that Japanese shit in your pantry?". Pours... well, black. Black as the blackest thing you can think of. No head, just a couple of tiny colonies of brown bubbles floating about. Motor oil in a glass.

On the nose... mostly lawnmower fuel. Burnt sugar cane, hints of raisins and dark fruits. Smells face-meltingly sweet. I think I'm in trouble.

Taste-wise, I can't make sense of it at all.
Port again, predominantly, but with twice the ABV - like someone's poured a little rubbing alcohol or some of my Uncle's horrible home-made Grappa into it. All your typical port notes are in there - raisin, rum, prunes, maybe a little tobacco - but just completely swept away by stinging alcohol and over-the-top sweetness. Dark chocolate in the aftertaste, which is the most stout-esque thing about it, IMO.

Relatively thick, oily mouthfeel with zero carbonation. Not unlike drinking a commensurate amount of molasses. Burns a little going down.

What the hell was that?

* edit: I can't convince anyone to help me finish this off, so this will be my first ever drain pour. Not the skunked 1.5L bottle of Grolsch someone gave me recently, not even my friend's Dad's 2% ABV shampoo-tasting homebrew that he insists on giving me a dozen of every Christmas.
If you have a bottle of this, don't open it for another 7 or so years, and if you happen to, forgive Mikkeller because they do some otherwise fine work :P

Parrotshake, May 11, 2009
3.28/5  rDev -13.7%

Pours deep jet black into a snifter. Very little life in the head, just a touch of burnt mocha. Hardly any lacing but a solid oily coating. Smells of burnt malts, soy sauce, chocolate, anise, charcoal, and alcohol. Tastes of citrus peel, raisins, and some sweet malts up front briefly along with a touch of chocolate and caramel before an assertive blow of burnt toast, soy sauce, charcoal, alcohol, and burnt coffee comes in and crushes your tastebuds and leaves your body shivering in fear. Full in body with low carbonation, sticky and thick. A sweet barleywine-like beginning with an insane abrasive charring finish and lots of booziness. Way too much to handle even 1/2 a bottle of, thank goodness for friends to share with. Though when all is said and done, they may wonder if you consider them a friend or an enemy!

HopDerek, May 04, 2009
2.38/5  rDev -37.4%

The beer pours a dark black brown color with minimal head retention, but lots of sticky lacing. I've seen this look before in beer with prolonged barrel aging, so this look is a good thing IMO. On the nose the beer smells quite impressive. There is a huge aroma of coffee, chocolate, vanilla and booze. In fact the booze comes across as a bit over the top, the first tip off that there might be something wrong here. On the palate, I'm afraid this beer is a complete mess. The alcohol is not very well integrated into this beer at all, and at least IMO, only further erodes the flavor profile. Initially I get a huge blast of coffee, licorise and booze, with a very hoppy, strongly licorise finish. There is also an underlying sweetness which almost makes me want to gag. The sweet licorise flavor really dominates in this beer and does not pair well with the high alcohol. Mouthfeel is medium bodied to full, and the beer is fairly smooth. However, even here the excessive boozy sweetness really detracts from this beer. Maybe some short term cellaring will help to tame the alcoholic burn I'm getting, but right now this is hard to take. As for drinkability, IMO it isn't, and i've scored it accordingly.

I'm a big fan of Mikkeller beers and was really looking forward to trying this one. However, this beer strikes me as an experiment that's gone very badly wrong, leaving me with a rather expensive glass of drain pour. Disappointing.

John_M, Apr 02, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Appearance: Pours a black, intimidating, perfectly still body, but, man, check out those legs!

Smell: Scent of blackstrap molasses, prunes, and espresso reinforced by cutting whiffs of fusel alcohol.

Taste: Sharp roasted malt taste with concentrated molasses, espresso, and an altogether jarring, wincing sweetness. Heavy pour of dark fruit liqueur. Caustic bitterness in the middle. A few drops of soy sauce. Plenty of hot reckless alcohol from beginning to end, particularly on the sweet, roasty finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-plus body. Sans carbonation.

Drinkability: This one is crude and unrefined, just as it was when I first had it nearly a year ago. I would certainly rather have a WWS, but that's just me. Let's set a tentative revisit date of, oh, let's say 2018. Though, I'm starting to wonder if this one will actually improve.

ChainGangGuy, Mar 31, 2009
3.15/5  rDev -17.1%

(From notes)

A - Nearly black color, and even though had a more vigorous pour, really couldn't get a well-developed head.

S - Really peppery alcohol, boozey, whisky aromas. Almost a bit of a savory aroma, followed up with a punch of really dark fruit sweetness. Just a hint of roasted malts

T - After the initial shock of alcohol, the taste is very deep in its Imperial Stout qualities, pretty sweet underneath the alcohol burn and fewer roasted qualities than I would have like for the style. Just to be clear, this brew was beyond hot in the alcohol taste and really was overpowering to the detriment of the brew.

M - Pretty viscous, with a small tinge of carbonation. The alcohol burn really confused things here for me.

D - The booze really drives this portion of the rating down for me. I understand what Mikkeller was trying to do, and I really think aging this brew is more important than anything I can say in this review. In short, barely drinkable for me given the alcohol shock in the flavor.

Overall, this is definitely experimental and I am glad to have had the opportunity to try it. I would not buy this again, or at least try it again, unless it had been aged for quite some time. Way too hot fresh. I'm sure that this could be a complex and interesting brew otherwise.

Nickls, Mar 28, 2009
3.83/5  rDev +0.8%

GLASS: Snifter
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees

Just like it's namesake, this one pours black. Jet black. No light penetration, whatsoever. Beautiful. This one doesn't really form a head, just a thin film of cappucino colored foam, covering the surface. That's not really surprising, at 17.5%ABV, though. There is a small amount of decent lacing, surprisingly.

The port-like alcohol scent is large and dominant. Some good notes of dark fruits. Some bittersweet chocolate. Very slight hint of roasted maltiness claws it's way to the surface.

Jesus, that's huge.
A crate of sweet dark fruits just crashed into my pallette. Wow. Cherries, figs, raspberries, blackberries, and more.
Then comes a mild interjection of smooth, yet dark, dark, dark chocolate. This is followed by dark roasted coffee. Such a dark roast that to roast them any longer, they would burn up. Hints of charred wood.
This is all carried along by an insane port-like alcohol presence. Actually, it's almost akin to sake.
Very interesting.

Big and full-bodied. This one is thick. Almost syrupy. Definitely coats the glass, very well.

Just one per sitting. It may be prudent to invite friends over to share this one with you. This is a huge beer. Even in a pint bottle, it's almost too much for one person. It's very good, but it overpowers.
Oh, and make it the last brew for the session, too. My pallette is destroyed.

coldmeat23, Mar 25, 2009
3.78/5  rDev -0.5%

Had this courtesy of Ding - thanks!

Pours pitch black with a thin dark tan head. The head recedes fairly quickly leaving a wispy layer and a thin ring around the glass without much lacing. It does manage to coat the glass with a light brown film.

Smells of chocolate, dark fruits, and booze. Slight hints of roasted malt come out as well, but the chocolate and dark fruits are definitely more prevalent.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Dark chocolate and dark fruits combine with roasted malts up front, followed by hints of tobacco - not smoke but an earthy taste I'd associate more with chewing tobacco. The ending is mostly sweet but there's a bitterness that comes out a second after the sip. Alcohol is noticeable but not overpowering.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with light carbonation.

Drinkability is alright. I certainly didn't struggle to finish the bit that I had, but I'm glad I didn't have to finish the bottle myself.

Overall this was an interesting beer. The hints of tobacco certainly added another dimension to the beer, but I can only recommend this if you have others to share with.

glid02, Mar 22, 2009
3.33/5  rDev -12.4%

Bottle thanks to jcb890

INTERESTING

A- looking good here, i was interested at the amount of carb it has for being so high on the ABV. I realized after the pour that the bottle was green, you would never know with the pitch black beer in the bottle. The head was rather light and fluffy and light in color.

S- Still looking good, sweet with some interesting smells that i have yet to find in a RIS, kind of like dirt!!

T- Sweet & roasty and actually good up front with a brutal and lingering gross aftertaste that will be with you tomorrow(somebody mentioned asphalt later PERFECT descrition). I stuggled to finish the bottle, about 2 hours.

M- Thinner than expected partially due to the active carb in it.

D- One is enough for my lifetime, i might get another and cellar for 20 years and see if it smooths out.

I just had to try this, i will be trying a dark horizon next week and will be interested to see how they differ.

JWD, Feb 13, 2009
1.53/5  rDev -59.7%

Bottle (9 months old): Poured a pitch black color with a small foamy head with little carbonation and minimal retention. Aroma consists purely of alcohol ester with some grossly sweet notes also discernable. Taste is dominated by bad alcohol ester and is grossly sweet in a much exaggerated way. This beer has totally no balance and I cannot even envision this improving with cellaring. We split a 375ml three ways and not one of us could actually finish the sample. I am all for extreme beer but some type of balance must be maintained which is definitely not the case here.

Phyl21ca, Feb 12, 2009
3.88/5  rDev +2.1%

12.7 oz green corked bottle poured into my Boulevard Smokestack Series goblet. This is interesting. From a good solid pour, it took about 20 seconds for a dense, chocolate milk colored head to appear. For a second, I thought there would be no head. I'm used to higher ABVs to not have much head, but to see it slowly bubble up was pretty cool. Color is .... black of course.

Smell isn't very powerful. The liquid is keeping the aroma trapped. There is a mild boozy alcohol. Taste explodes where the smell does not. There is some blackberry juiciness, a little soy sauce saltiness, bitter charred wood. Pretty boozy as well.

Mouthfeel is pretty slick and borders on oily. I think it's the alcohol warmth that burns that off and finishes drier. Big, big beer. Very slow sipper. Blipped "Paint it Black" by the Rolling Stones.

bort11, Feb 10, 2009
3.03/5  rDev -20.3%

Pours like soy sauce, very viscous, insansely black and looks like it could stain wood. Little to no head or carbonation visible.

Smells of alcohol, cough syrup, bitter coffee, bitter chocolate. Smells like it could remove wood stain.

Wow. This is intense. A little too intense for me. Very astringent and extremely boozy. The alcohol just takes over and the other notes are only in the background.

I am sure if you age this beer for a few years it will settle in to something very complex. Right now its just too much for my palate.

indiapaleale, Feb 10, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

Bottle I bought about a year or so ago in Indiana and lugged out here to CA when we moved. Decided to drink it now mainly because the reviews dont suggest any pressing need to age it. Pours Black, black, black. I guess they got the name correct. Surprisingly stable and tightly packed brown head reverse cascades out of the beer. Big grasping lacing clings and crawls up the glass. Looks fantastic. Nose is all chocolate, truffles, and sherry. Definite rich black cherry notes as well. Smells like a decadent chocolate cherry cheesecake. Wow. Two 5's so far, that's unexpected. Flavor is smooth as all hell...at first...then it opens up and hits you with a growing coffee grounds bitterness, along with deep dark cacao and vague dark fruits that i can't place. Some slightly grassy hop notes sneak in there too, before a growing, extremely pervasive alcohol warmth spreads across everything and demands your attention. Alcohol dries out the mouth a bit and leaves more of the coffee bitterness as an aftertaste. A massive flavor experience though...not the best imaginable flavor, but pretty good and totally extreme. Mouthfeel appropriately huge and thick, though i wouldn't say syrupy..more like just...thick. An exciting beer to drink...lots of fun and every sip is as interesting as the last.

aforbes10, Jan 30, 2009
3.18/5  rDev -16.3%

Bottle: Aroma is dark, boozy, a lot like WWS. Mostly whisky and molasses in the aroma. Flavor is not unpleasant as the aroma suggests. There is a definite alcoholic burn at the finish but I had worse. Taste is heavy roast, sweet, and some vinous notes in there. Alcohol is not that apparent until it hits the throat. Mouthfeel is like syrup, no carbonation. OK, I'm going to watch a movie and enjoy this one over the next two hours.

mbrasi, Jan 25, 2009
3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

Foamy dark brown head tops this beer. It's really black in color... Gee is that where they got the name? The head shows insane retention and is going nowhere.

O.K., and I just a sucker for a label??? I see an Asian logo.... The aroma reminds me a bit of sake.... I thought that, then looked at the label...

WOOOOW.... Huge alcohol flavor.... Is this a black Sake??? Black licorice... dark roasted malt... alcohol, alcohol. Fairly rich sweetness...coconut? Some fruit in the middle...

Wow, this drinks like a hard alcohol drink vs. a beer.

Body is about medium in thickness, but it drinks big due to the high alcohol content...

It's interesting, but not up my alley..

Wonder if it's called Black since you might Black out if you drink the entire bottle...

Reagan1984, Jan 24, 2009
3.93/5  rDev +3.4%

From the first time I laid eyes on this beer here on BA, I knew I had to have it. I'm very excited that it has finally come to my area, so here goes:

It was damn near impossible to open this bottle, and once I got the cork out it gave me the most pathetic little "pop".

Pours black and completely opaque. A thin foamy brown head forms on top and lingers with decent retention leaving soap sudsy lace behind.

The aroma is rather nice. A good bit of fruit strikes me up front as very pleasing. It's followed by a slight phenolic quality and a decent amount of alcohol. Certainly some big chocolate notes can be found, as well as raisins, and apple.

The taste is incredibly unique. I certainly would never have expected this to be my experience. I've taken all of one sip, and my palate is shot. An overwhelming symphony of discord is wreaking havoc on my mouth. It's slightly sweet up front with some indistinct fruit notes, and then quickly becomes a burnt, extremely bitter, boozey, phenolic mess on the finish. The lovely notes from the nose do not show in the taste of this beer. I'm having a difficult time describing what I'm encountering because I've never run in to anything that tastes quite like this. The more I drink, the more I can find some of my original thoughts. A bit of fruit, and a bit of chocolate are the dominant tones. Beyond that it's burnt sugar, burnt malt, rubber, and a resounding bitterness unlike any I've encountered before that's bordering on being painful in the back of my throat. Have they started adding pesticides? I'm disappointed, and yet not. It's certainly different and adventurous, but I don't think it's as positive as it could have been. For the price tag, it's too expensive to feel good about drain pouring it. I'd recommend giving it a whirl, but have 5 or 6 friends with you to share the tiny bottle with.

As the beer warms to room temp (since I sipped it over the course of a few hours), it really started to fit together better. The flavors seemed to marry a bit more and the harshness I once felt was subdued. I'm not sure how I want to rate the taste, but it will certainly get points for originality and pushing the bar which I can certainly appreciate.

Mouthfeel is full bodied, thick, syrupy, and slightly chewy. Carbonation is near nonexistent in this beer.

Drinkability is incredibly low. The flavor profile is massive and overwhelming and difficult to consume even in small doses. Certainly a fun lab experiment, but use caution when drinking this thing. I consider myself better for the experience.

Goliath, Jan 24, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +24.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a milestone interpretation of the stout style. Although the site says it is from Denmark, it is brewed at De Proef Brewery in Lochristi_hufte, Belgium. That is because, as their website says, "Mikkel is gipsy-brewer, he rents into breweries, and brews both in Denmark, around Europe and the United States."

A: Darkness. No pop from the cork release, poured from on high to give it a little head. The head produced leaves a nice lacing on the glass.

S: Coffee and all sorts of dried fruits.

T: Coffee and chocolate, dried cherries and other dark fruits. But also strong quinine, probably from the hops, giving it a fruity but bitter taste.

M: Thick and chewey.

D: Very drinkable and interesting, though in measured sips due to the 17.5% ABV. Very muscular beer overall.

Beerenauslese, Jan 22, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Opaque black with a creamy tan head that retains extremely well; surprising given the ABV. Smell is really boozy, with some roastiness and bakers chocolate also coming through. Taste is of milk chocolate, caramel, cherries, and espresso. Very intense and good taste; much better than the aroma. Full bodied with medium carbonation. Taste was very good, but I could see how a full bottle of this could take a whole evening. Thanks to DicksMcGee for the sample.

badbeer, Dec 28, 2008
3.83/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured from a corked, caged, and black foil wrapped 12.7oz bottle into two small snifters. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist!

Cork dated 12/12/17 (!)

A: Pours a slimy, syrupy, and viscous junkyard engine oil pan sludge, black. Light tan coffee head doesn't stay for long but leaves pretty lace in the glass.

S: HUGE aromas of booze, rum infused raisin, anise, chocolate, and molassas. Heather noticed a vinous, sweet green grape aroma.

T: Bakers chocolate, nuclear blackened malt, bitter hops, french press coffee, rum-raisin bread pudding, high cocoa % bitter dark chocolate. Cordial-type sweetness and loads of bitter bakers chocolate in the finish.

M: Slick and syrupy. Oily with a really dry finish. Coats the mouth like gear lube.

D: Extreme amounts of sweet, dry, and hot booze flavors and aromas make this one a challenge to consume. This one is tailor-made to share between at least two people. Been sitting on this bottle for the better part of a year, just waiting for the right time to pop the cork. It's -6º outside and we have to go walk 3 greyhounds (Mr. Bones, Bunny, and Camden) and an English Pointer mix (Beatrice)...it's so the right time for this beer!

GbVDave, Dec 21, 2008
4.8/5  rDev +26.3%

Pours pitch black with a foamy chocolate colored head that settles into a lasting lacing. Roasted malty aroma with chocolate, oatmeal, toffee, dark fruit, spice, alcohol, hops and candi sugar notes. Very complex with a nice roasted coffe maltiness, sweet dark chocolate, caramel, toffee, and alcohol warmth. The ABV is noticeable but pretty well masked considering it's strength.

corby112, Dec 06, 2008
4.13/5  rDev +8.7%

The first in a long line of awesome extras from Egledhill in a sick trade. Received today. He may be a jackass, but damn that boy can trade. Since he was nice enough to drink one of the wonderful extras I sent to him, I felt obligated to open something he sent. And since he completely insulted me with all the extra extras, I need to drown my sorrows with a high ABV monster. Let's do it.

I dumped it pretty hard because I thought the alcohol wouldn't allow a head. So I'm dumb. This head stood up and cheered like Erik at a Liberace concert. One inch thick and creamy mocha. Quite nice. Probably don't need to say that the beer is black.

Smell is "damn that's a lot of alcohol." There may be a chocolate undertone but I can't keep my nose over the glass long enough to be sure. I love high ABV, but I think I may be in trouble here, like Erik's flimsy alibi in that missing transvestite case.

Took a taste. Wow. Big bite o'booze, but smooth as silk. Goes down like Erik after dollar drink night. Incredibly smooth. Ridiculously smooth. And boozy. I can taste some nice chocolate on my lips, but only after the mouthful is gone. Strong shit. Man, four drinks in and I already wish I had another to cellar. Looks like this one will stay on my wants. It's a beautiful combination of pleasure and pain like that time I ... <inner voice:"shut up">

Already described the feel but I'll elaborate. It's smooth. Like velvet. Only softer. And smoother. This shit is seriously smooth. And that brutal alcohol beatdown: makes me feel alive, unlike Erik's last date.

Drinkability is tough to call. Would I drink six? Hell yes, just not in a row. I may be down for two though, just to show off.

Warming brings about a dark fruit. Figs? Don't know. Feeling kinda silly after half this bottle. Time for the second glass.

OK, on the real: this beer is not for pussies, like Erik. Good thing I spent several years in high alcohol training with my friends Grey Goose, Johnny Walker, and Patron. Which is why I'm the motherfucking PatronWizard by the way. As this big ass beer seeps in, I find myself happier and happier. Glad I wrote most of this while sipping the first glass. Might even leave a typo, which I despise.

Overall: loved it

PatronWizard, Dec 06, 2008
3.23/5  rDev -15%

pours a jet black with a slight purple as it pours into the snifter, has a very small brown head, and some lacing.

smell is of lots of alcohol, dark fruits, cocoa, and a touch of coffee.

taste is thick, overbearing alcohol, bitter and bakers chocolate, and licorice.

overall it is just to much in the face with the alcohol that it gets in the way of any other smells and flavors, aging might help.

froghop, Dec 04, 2008