Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Beer Geek Brunch Weasel - Mikkeller ApS

Beer Geek Brunch WeaselBeer Geek Brunch Weasel

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.90% ABV

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 01-02-2009

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.

Imperial oatmeal stout brewed with coffee. Ingredients: Water, malts, hops, yeast and Vietnamese ca phe chon coffee.
Reviews: 789 | Hads: 2,600
4.87/5  rDev +13.3%

I am very glad that I tried this one before I read the description. Apparently, the coffee beans used in this phenomenal stout went through a weasel before they were collected from the jungle floor.

The result is that the bitterness of the coffee bean has been magnificently mellowed before it mingles with the oatmeal.

The mouthfeel on this thick, ebony stout lingers long after you have forgotten the inglorious path that the coffee beans traveled before reaching your lips. (479 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +13.3%

This is the beer of my dreams.

Although I am a man who loves imperial stouts, i feel this beer can be respected by all beer enthusiasts, even if you do not prefer the dark stuff.

First I poured half of this beer into some sort of wine style glass. Perhaps to cold when i first poured it, still gave off full aromas of dark rich malt, coffee, and vanilla. As i poured it, it filled the glass with a thick motor oil of pure darkness, and left much residue on the side of the glass. As expected there was little to no carbonation, and i had to try to create a head by pouring it rougher than needed. When there was finally a head of around a fingers thickness I ceased pouring and handed the beer off to my beer drinking partner.

As I took the first full drink, i let it sit in my mouth for a full 5 seconds before swallowing (thats what she said). At first I tasted the wonderful malts, then vanilla, then the taste of coffee slowly creeping it way onto my taste buds. As I am engorged in these flavors a strange sweetness starts pushing its way through. Now all of the full flavors and sweetness are virtually attacking my mouth. As the sip is heavily swallowed due to thickness, something sweet is still left in my mouth. It is maybe a sugary coffee flavor.

As the beer gets warmer it get more complex but holds similar characteristics. Nowhere in the drinking process did i taste the hefty 10.9 percent alcohol. Not even the slightest little bight.

This beer virtually ruined my perception of imperial stouts. I still love other imperial stouts by alesmith, stone, dogfish head, greenflash, and so on, but this by far takes the cake. I will have a hard time purchasing anything but these stouts by Mikkeller. (1,715 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

Shared with Cavery. Poured into an oversize wine glass.

A: Deep black with a thin tan head that eventually leaves a small tan ring around the top of the glass. Reminds me very much of the visual of Speedway Stout.

S: Funky. I felt nervous after I read the side of the bottle right before drinking it. I've never had the coffee so I didn't know what to expect. Honestly it smelled enticing, this seems awfully different. High quality coffee, chocolate, spices, and honestly a little bit of shit in the nose (not just from expectation, I believe). Makes me excited for the taste.

T: Hot damn, that is an amazing beer. Punches you with a mysterious funk that blooms out into a delicious coffee, chocolate, coconut flow that rolls out into your mouth then curls back up slow mo back into the original punch of funk, mellowing out with a mix of all of the flavors. The taste is amazing-- my expectations and fears are floored.

M: Wonderfully creamy, fits the taste profile awesomely, especially helps bring up the coconut sense that comes in the mouth.

O: This is maybe the most underrated beer I've ever encountered. The fact that I never see this thrown down in trades or talked about or in the top 100 list all attest to that fact. I applaud mikkeller for the bold experiment and the spectacular result. It's pretty rare that I seek out a beer soon after I have it but I'll be securing more bottles of this when I can. (1,423 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

A: Deep black, with a thick beige crema head. Soda pop effervescence.

S: Wonderful scents of gourmet coffee and roasted malts.

T: World class. This is one of my favorite beers of all time. I have had this beer several times now, and it's blown me away every time. It's slightly sweet, and the coffee is superb (no matter where it came from). The delicious oatmeal gives the beer a crispness that makes it even tastier and more drinkable. This is a desert island beer for me.

M: Perfect carbonation and buttery smooth.

D: Truly fantastic beer. I'd drink this anytime. (570 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

A - Pitch black color, even on the hues. Large, incredibly thick, creamy, rocky, sticky, cafe colored head with amazing retention that finally settles into a nice creamy, sticky layer of lace. Looks amazing.

S - Wonderful smelling beer. Rich coffee is obviously strong but there is also a strong dark chocolate and roasted dark malt aroma. Good amount of caramel and molasses sweetness as well. Some nutty and earthy aroma and a touch of alcohol are also vaguely present in the background.

T - Strong roasted espresso starts off the taste. Quickly rich chocolate, caramel, molasses, and cream flavors come in to provide a touch of sweetness along with the coffee taste. A touch of earthy, nuttiness comes out mid sip as well. A good amount of vanilla is also present and just a hint of anise. Roasted oatmeal has a good undertone throughout the sip that doesn't dominate but provides a bit of a backbone to the beer. Delicious, rich coffee is persistent along with a nice chocolate and sweetness to balance out the roasted bitterness.

M - Medium body with a good amount of carbonation. Smooth and creamy. Just a bit of a chewiness, but not as much I was expecting from an oatmeal stout.

D - Very easy to drink beer with a nice balance of coffee and other flavors, especially the sweeter ones.

Notes: Bottled 03/11/08. Very good coffee stout. Strong coffee flavor, but also has a good amount of traditional oatmeal stout flavor, and a nice chocolaty and sweetness (and some creaminess). Went incredibly well with breakfast. Wonderful beer, definitely worth picking up. (1,577 characters)

Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch Weasel

Appearance: Black, great lacing, and a small head.

Smell: Coffee, faint oat, and slight hop.

Taste: Slightly-hoppy roasted-malt coffee.

Mouthfeel: Heavy and similar to coffee.

Overall:
This is mighty good. I like my coffee black and this is just like that! I would love to have this with breakfast or brunch. I can't say that for many beers. (380 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

This was a wow beer, heavy heavy coffee, turkish black tar like, huge funky banyward flavors and aromas coming from the obvious weasel droppings. was well wirth the wait till I seeked this out finally (200 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +12.1%

Yes! This beer is the shit!! Bottle pours pitch black with tan head. Aromas are simply amazing. Strong coffee, chocolate, and more coffee. Has a medium heavy mouthfeel. Flavor follows the nose. Has a strong coffee characteristic, a creaminess, dark chocolate, and finishes with brown sugar. I could drink this all night. Its such a wonderful brew. I may have to break the bank and pick up another bottle or two. Wow. (416 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +12.1%

Sampled this at a recent tasting at gordons fine wine and liquors (pretty epic tasting)

This beer pours a dark black color with a nice brown head, that lasts throughout the pour.

the smell is the best coffee scent I have ever experienced in a beer, so smooth and rich

the flavor was very similar to the smnell, such a rich coffee flavor yet it was smoth and not at all bitter. they coffee flavor was accompanied by a wonderful roasty malt goodness that made this beer go down very easy.

the beer was very drinkbale with a a medium body to the mouthfeel (556 characters)

4.81/5  rDev +11.9%

I was with some friends at a bar and the bartender saw that we were really into the beer. It didn't take too long for him to realize that he should try pushing some expensive bottles on us. After having consumed a couple beers already, we quickly agreed that it was a good idea to spend $24 on this bottle. Ouch. Good timing for my 100th review anyway.

Pours an opaque, oily black with a spotty covering of moka head, which recedes to pretty much nothing. No lacing. 3.5 only for the nice viscous look of the pour.

This stout smells absolutely delicious, wafting itself out of the glass over to your nose. Milk chocolate, minerals, cotton candy, caramel, cheesecake, a latte from the best coffee place in town. It smells like a dessert. Awesome.

The taste is just as good: dark chocolate, bread, high-quality coffee (though whether you can actually taste the quality gained from passing through a cat's ass is questionable), espresso grinds, vanilla ice cream, bourbon. No alcohol presence, which at 10.9% is crazy. This beer has the best aftertaste I've ever experienced; coffee ice cream lingering on forever. Amazing.

Perfect body. Oily, sticky, creamy, thick and full with almost no carbonation.

I could chug this stuff like chocolate milk on a hot day. I'm only taking off 0.5 for the fact that if you did actually chug this stuff, you wouldn't be conscious for very long. So drinkable. (1,401 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

as a dark chocolate nose with hints of anise and surprisingly less coffee than I expected. There are definitely notes of fresh coffee beans though. The taste is another story all together. It screams coffee. Strong, dark roasted, black coffee. There are some slight notes of chocolate and maybe some raisins with just the tiniest touch of anise. Although the coffee is extremely dominant and strong, it is good coffee and it tastes fantastic. The mouthfeel is thick and chewy and it is just like breakfast in a bottle. (518 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

Pitch black Pour with thich deep mahagony head that had a beautiful look to it.
Aroma of bitter chocolate..cinnamon like in french toast and coffee...And then I tasted...Holy coffee and deep roasted flavors. Wonderful!!massive lacing and it just coated my dogfish head snifter..
Creamy and lucious mouthfeel...could drink this one everyday. (340 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

Fighting with Shelton is worth it for bottles like this.

Ink black body beneath a large, dense, mocha colored head. I think I can see fine pieces of coffee grounds in the head.

The aroma shows undertones of coffee and roasted malt, but my nose seems to focus on abundant fig notes. Actually reminds me of my mom's bacon wrapped dates. As my glass warmed I realized I may have served this too cold. Earthy coffee notes have replaced figs as the central aroma.

Holy crap, that is intense! The palate is far more balanced than the aroma. Coffee shows much more here. I have never tasted Civet coffee, but if this is what its like, I need to buy some whatever the cost. Rich, intense, slightly earthy coffee flavor but the bitterness is mild to medium. There are some darck chocolate notes and a hint of the fig that seemed so big on the nose. No noticeable hop flavor, though a lingering bitterness adds balance. Insanely good, a major improvement over Beer Geek Breakfast, and I didn't think that beer could be improved.

The body is just as impressive as the flavor. Super velvety feel, creamy smooth goodness with enough carbonation to prevent a syrupy mess.

I wondered how different this would be from BG Breakfast. Would I notice the Civet coffee? Would it really change the beer? The answer is yes on both counts. The Civet coffee is extraordinary and it greatly enhances the beer. That and pitch perfect mouthfeel make this one of the better Stouts I have had and allow me to fell better about the money I dropped on this 16.9oz bottle. If you find it, buy it! (1,568 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

Bottled. Pours black with medium, brown head. Fair lacings Nose of black coffee, roasted malt and vanilla. Sweet flavour with honey, coffee, vanilla and dark chocolate. Full bodied. oily/creamy texture. Flat carbonation. More dry with some bitterness in the finish. It it’s a awesome nice brew and it has developed with few years of storage (342 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

500ml bottle served in a snifter glass.

A: Pours a deep black color and forms medium and an incredibly dark beige to brown head. Retention is low but leaves a lot thin lacings and a small layer lasts for long

S: Throws off a bouquet of coffee, dark chocolate and Cognac. Roasted malts, earthy hops and yeasts

T: Follows the nose. Very intense beer. Strong on roasted malt, coffee and dark chocolate. Bit sweet upfront followed by an intense earthy, hoppy bitterness

M: Absolutely creamy, heavy and molasses body. A dirty beer. Medium to low carbonation. Roasty bitter aftertaste is pure pleasure

O: Fantastic beer. Very drinkable. Perfect imperial stout (658 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

500 ml bottle poured into a Struise tulip glass. No sharing, this was ALL mine! One needs to indulge sometimes, it's good for the soul. Bad for the wasteline though.

A: I hate to use the word, but as imperial coffee stouts go, this is literally perfection. Pitch black with no light coming through whatsoever, topped by the darkest head I've ever seen. It literally looks like frothed-up candy syrup and espresso.

S: Huge aroma explosion of fresh coffee beans, some hops and roasted malts. Coffee is obviously the star here, followed by dark baker's chocolate, some dried fruits, hops and candy sugar. This is probably one of the most gorgeous things you'll smell in your life.

T: It also delivers on the taste in a huge way. Coffee is the shining star here, but it also cuts through the richness of the coffee, chocolate and brown sugar with some hops. Beautiful little zips and zings that will challenge your palate with every sip.

M: Soft carbonation, creamy and beautiful. I might have actually preferred this beer just a tad flatter, so this is pretty much the only point where it isn't damn near perfect for me. This beer is also infamous for forming glycerol (a jelly-like byproduct) at the bottom of the bottle over aging.

O: Literally the only thing that lets this beer down is the glycerol and slightly overcarbonated mouthfeel, which you could obviously partially remedy by letting it breathe for a while. Other than that, this is as close to Heaven as a non-believing man like me will likely get. Thank you Denmark, for this 500 ml of damn-near perfection. (1,573 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured at Max's Taphouse.

Pours a beautiful dark rich coffee black with brown coffee colored lacing .

Smell is mainly of coffee, alittle roasted malt and a hint of chocolate.

Taste is amazing, its purely coffee with little to no alcohol taste, but mainly coffee with a little chocolate and hint of hops. The after taste once again is around the coffee not the stout, excellent.

I love this beer and the weasel coffee take on it. For the cost its a must have, one of my favorites. (483 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +11.4%

HUGE thanks to cmmcdonn for trading this to me. Thanks Chad!

A: Pours an extremely dark brown/black with a thin coating of creamy tan head. Some spotty lacing, but with spots so small it almost looks like it's ice coating the glass.

S: Bitter and sweet in all different ways. The kopi luwak coffee here is the exception- sweet and delicious; I've never had the coffee on its own, but it's obvious this is top notch. Besides that, tons of dark chocolate and roasted/charred malts are present. Some dark, plummy fruits add light accents and balance; amazing smell all around. A warning: make sure to fully enjoy the smell before your palate gets wrecked by the taste!

T: First, we'll start with the finish: this is the best finish of a beer I've ever experienced. A perfect balance of sweet coffee and bittersweet chocolate combines to present one of the best tastes I've ever tasted, in beer, other drink, or any other food (including dessert). Roasted malts compliment this wonderful balance exceptionally- providing a light balance of flavor that leaves me wondering if there's anything I'm possibly missing in this beer/if there's anything else that could possibly be fit in. Lingering fruity flavors add just a bit but never dominate. Before the insane finish, my taste buds are met by a similar blend of chocolate and coffee, in perfect proportion to one another. Wow, I cannot recommend this beer enough based off of taste.

M: I cannot get over the finish of this beer; it leaves my mouth, and I can barely tell that it ever touched my throat. The pleasant finish of a sweet cafe mocha (or even chocolate milk) is outstanding- if some medical procedure was invented to put the taste of this beer in my mouth at all times, I would be first in line to sign up for it. A light carbonation is also present, just enough to bump up the creaminess a bit.

D: Sure it's a big stout, but you might never know that from drinking it. So milky and smooth, I could sip on this all night; I'm sad my glass is over. The price tag on this beer might be hefty, but it is SURELY worth it- splurge for a special occasion, or just to make an ordinary night interesting. (2,158 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A: pours a deep black body with a huge 2 fingers worth of dark brown head formation. the lacing is absolutely phenomenal and there's still about 1 fingers worth of head even after 2 minutes of allowing to settle. (the pour was not aggressive by any means and was pours into a Bruery snifter)

S: beautiful blend of robust coffee grounds, semi-sweet chocolate, and a bug vanilla creamy touch. there is a slight touch of alcohol presence but its invigorating and sits in perfectly with this brew. i'm also picking up a slight tobacco leaf and licorice presence.

T: damn this shit is good! following the nose, I find big coffee grounds as the dominating player with an awesome chocolate backbone and a beautiful creamy finish with a lit touch of hops. honestly, this is one of the smoothest brews i've ever had.

M: on the medium-heavy side, the palate is left with a phenomenal coffee and chocolate sweetness. that urges me to take another sip. this is truly fantastic.

O: one of the best stouts I have ever had, and possibly my favorite non-BA stout. I hate the fact that this one is so damn pricey, but it's truly a fantastic brew. a must try, must have. (1,158 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +11.4%

So I have to be honest. I think that it's kind of cool that something I've drank came out of a weasel-cat butthole. Ewww, but f-ing awesome.

Poured into a snifter from a bottle. Dark brown/black with a very thick, tan head. No lace.

The smell is pretty goddang wonderful. Very oat and coffee
, with some chocolate and booze. Vanilla in the finish. Very rich smell.

Being that I love coffee stouts, mmm. G
The coffee flavor is Turkish coffee rich, super smooth oatmeal, slight chocolate, earthy hops, slight touch of pine, alcohol spice (also slight), with a cocoa finish. Velvet in the throat.

Damn good. More please. (622 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +11.2%

A - Like a thick black coffee. The head is thick and creamy.

S - Like old oak wooden casks.

T - Chocolate, coffee and in the back some wine like tones. Long lasting bitterness and wood, alcohol is beautifully masked.

M - Thick and creamy, almost no carbonation.

O - Beautiful complex beer to enjoy on a quiet moment. I can understand that this is the best Danish beer. (373 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +11.2%

A few months ago i was affoarded the opportunity to share in a few ounces of this at a tasting and have been waiting patiently ever since for a bottle to call my own.

Pours a rich, creamy and slighlty grainy near black color. Great cap of creamy, dense brown colored head, great retention and lacing. Smell is of bitter cocoa, fresh cream, roasted espresso beans, earth, smoke and wood. What hits you before the taste is the ultra creamy yet still textured mouthfeel... reminicent of chocolate milk made with bitter cocoa powder and whole milk. First taste is of the chocolate, followeed by a much mellower presence of espresso. A unique dark berry like flavor throughout the taste as well as hints of earth. An excellent brew, truly unique in design and taste... one of the rare instances of a "novelty" ingredient and fine craftsmanship combining for one of the best beers around. (883 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +11.2%

Shared with two non-BA friends who frankly were kind of freaked out by the concept, until they tasted it.

A- Deep black with a coffee with cream colored head that was thick and fluffy for a minute or so.

S- Coffee on coffee with beautiful malty tones and woody or nutty hints

T- Bark was worse than it's bite, nice milder coffee flavor, bittersweet chocolate. The brewers did a great job of hiding the higher ABV

M- At first it had a nice mouth feel, viscous and a touch dry but good. At the end it had some texture and left grit in the glass

D- Could drink a bunch more but with only 7K bottles in the US, expense and rarity of the coffee, not likely. Good special occasion sipper (686 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +11.2%

Pours opaque black, medium brown tan head. Holds well in my snifter, with lace forming as the head recedes a little.

Aroma is a complex roasty, chocolatey, nougat-like medley. There's also an odd, indescribable funky component in there too, though not necessarily a flaw.

On the palate the thick, syrupy body pleases quite well, and canvasses the palate with rich roasty flavors, espresso & espresso crema, and finishes with a pleasant bitterness that is found in the best of espressos.

Finish is thick and rich with flavors of dark roasted coffee beans, almost charred from roasting. (588 characters)

Poured from a 16.9oz. "half-liter" bottle into a standard pint glass
Dark,black oil-like in color, with a dark chocolate,thick, milkshake head of foam that sits quietly atop a cascading pour. Beautiful.
Aroma-Dark roasted coffee,rich chocolate,freshly dug dark, rich earth.
Taste-Dark roasted espresso with cream,cocoa, dark chocolate, and a ghost-like underlying smokiness of char-grilled meat. Subtle, warming alchohol in the finish, but seemingly unnoticeable until about halfway through th bottle.
Overall, a fantastic "velvet hammer" of an imperial stout. Big, bold character,super creamy, complex and deliscious. Not an "everday" beer by any means, but certainly worth the price for a taste of a truly amazing beer. God bless the weasels!! (Brewed with Vietnamese coffee beans excreted from civets, an indigenous weasel-like animal)! (839 characters)

Beer Geek Brunch Weasel from Mikkeller ApS