Beer Geek Brunch Weasel - Mikkeller ApS

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.90% ABV

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.

Imperial oatmeal stout brewed with coffee. Ingredients: Water, malts, hops, yeast and Vietnamese ca phe chon coffee.

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 01-02-2009)

1.75/5  rDev -59.5%

2.2/5  rDev -49.1%

Big thanks to Jeff for sharing this at a recent tasting. Cheers!

Batch 2

Appearance -- Pours a dark brown with a slim tan head.

Smell -- Roast malt, dark chocolate, soy sauce, burnt coffee, smoke, miscellaneous spices from the kitchen cupboard. What?

Taste -- Roast malt, coffee grounds, chocolate, licorice, anise, soy sauce, and random spices. Finish brings out some minty hop notes.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-full in body, milder carbonation. Not bad.

Drinkability -- Wow, Batch 1 must have been exceptionally good, because this is terrible. Soy sauce + spice rack + ash tray = misery in a glass. It's easy to romanticize the idea of gypsy brewing, but this also allows for duds like this to occur. Moreover, I really do like Mikkeller, but this is one of my least favorite Imperial Stouts to date.

2.25/5  rDev -47.9%

2.4/5  rDev -44.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

My review is not going to be popular as I am not impressed by this beer. It has an oaky chocalately thin medicinal feel that is not very appealing. This beer is one dimension and seems to taste of Band-Aids. This beer barely held a head even in a Duvel glass that has an etching in the bottom to help maintain a head. Glad to have tried this respected brew but don't see myself returning to it anytime soon. Didn't finish my pint before submitting this review to top it off a pile of sludge at the end of this beer...sorry just wrong.

2.44/5  rDev -43.5%

2.48/5  rDev -42.6%

I regret not having made a record of the bottling that was tasted, here, but alas... this is an unappetizing batch of Weasel.

The pour looks great, a deep jet black with a thin head. But right away on the nose there's problems. There's a hint, a whisper of of awesome coffee and chocolate roast that just gets overwhelmed by hot, spicy phenols.

On the palate the phenolic spice overload continues, causing havoc with what are clearly a solid recipe and excellent use of coffee in the background. Harshening the mix, the phenols play to the already tannic qualities this has an unpleasant, acrid finish.

The body hangs in there, a lush smoothness keeps drawing me back... I know there's a version of this beer that's good. Alas, this bottle is not it.

2.53/5  rDev -41.4%

Straight up 3s - just average. It's nice and black but has an ENORMOUS head. Smells kind of stouty - metalic, coffee, burnt umber (that sounded good, didn't it? Only it's a color and not an odor and whatever. But, hey, it smells of charred meats, OK? OK????). Burned caramels and coffee and bitter and ashes in our mouthes. Certainly neither balanced nor an oatmeal stout. Probably an RIS - a beer known for being RAW. And that's just what it is - way raw, way edgy. I'm not sure this is where I want to go. I'm all for balance and this isn't it. Very nice mouthfeel and I can't finish my bottle.

Edit: terrible, lingering bitter and sour aftertaste and the mouthfeel gets knocked down 'cause the bottle 4 ounces of the bottle were full of some nasty slime. Ew!

2.58/5  rDev -40.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle from Best Damn Beer Shop (in Super Jr. Market) San Diego CA

A - Poured a black color with a brown head that leaves lacing behind

S - Isn't all that good expensive weasel poop coffee doesn't smell as good as the cheaper coffee beans used in other beers

T - Much like the nose it tastes like coffee just not good coffee I guess along with a bitter alcoholic finish

M - This beer has a watery body with medium carbonation to it

O - Over the past two years I've actually grown to like most coffee beers so unlike my early coffee beer reviews where I gave so called good beers a bad review this one just tastes bad to me I don't care how much it costs (although I did want to like this because of price) or rare the coffee is much like beer rarer and pricier doesn't always mean better so unless your a beer snob thats also a coffee snob save your cash

2.75/5  rDev -36.3%

2.75/5  rDev -36.3%

2.83/5  rDev -34.5%

Unimpressed by the aroma, watery coffee is predominate, but luckly the flavor is better. coffee and big chocolate malts are forefront, only a little alcohol heat. Nice mouthfeel from the Oatmeal: velvety and smooth with a medium/thick body. not really worth the $17 bottle price tag though at all, there are a good amount of Coffee stouts that are better that sell for much lower prices. Kopi Luwak is a huge fad too, it's a joke in the coffee world, but the mainstream world loves its hype. keep up the hype on this. keep it up.

2.85/5  rDev -34%

2.88/5  rDev -33.3%

2.93/5  rDev -32.2%

Black and opaque, a vigorous pour yields little head. Earthy aroma with a moderate coffee presence. Hints at vanilla and dark fruit. The coffee aroma doesn't really jump out here, nor is there a lot of complexity. On the palate, I get roasted grain, coffee, light toffee sweetness and a hint of citrus. Medium-bodied, perhaps a touch thin for the ABV. Sugary, acrid finish. Lingering burnt bitterness with some solventy heat. As usual with Mikkeller, I'm not terribly impressed here. Decent.

2.98/5  rDev -31%

Bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Pours pitch black with medium brown head. Left lacing on the glass as I drank.
S - Smells of rich coffee and dark chocolate malty goodness.
T - Malty and chocolate upfront and an extremely bitter coffee finish with some heat from the alcohol. The bitterness faded as I drank more, could have been that I got used to it, could have been the alcohol and bitterness numbing my taste buds so I couldn't taste it anymore.
M - Smooth, somewhat creamy. Nothing special, nothing bad about it.
D - Low. The coffee bitterness is too much for me. I would not have another.

Disappointed by the bitterness in this brew. I was excited to try it, but ended up being let down. If you enjoy rich, bitter coffee, I think you would love this beer.

Beer Geek Brunch Weasel from Mikkeller ApS