1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Beer Geek Brunch Weasel - Mikkeller ApS

Beer Geek Brunch WeaselBeer Geek Brunch Weasel

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.90% ABV

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.

Imperial oatmeal stout brewed with coffee. Ingredients: Water, malts, hops, yeast and Vietnamese ca phe chon coffee.

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 01-02-2009)
View: Beers (228) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,738 | Reviews: 731 | Show All Ratings:
yeahnatenelson

2.2/5  rDev -49.1%

Big thanks to Jeff for sharing this at a recent tasting. Cheers!

Batch 2

Appearance -- Pours a dark brown with a slim tan head.

Smell -- Roast malt, dark chocolate, soy sauce, burnt coffee, smoke, miscellaneous spices from the kitchen cupboard. What?

Taste -- Roast malt, coffee grounds, chocolate, licorice, anise, soy sauce, and random spices. Finish brings out some minty hop notes.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-full in body, milder carbonation. Not bad.

Drinkability -- Wow, Batch 1 must have been exceptionally good, because this is terrible. Soy sauce + spice rack + ash tray = misery in a glass. It's easy to romanticize the idea of gypsy brewing, but this also allows for duds like this to occur. Moreover, I really do like Mikkeller, but this is one of my least favorite Imperial Stouts to date.

11-08-2010 22:49:21 | More by yeahnatenelson
hoser

Alberta (Canada)

2.4/5  rDev -44.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

My review is not going to be popular as I am not impressed by this beer. It has an oaky chocalately thin medicinal feel that is not very appealing. This beer is one dimension and seems to taste of Band-Aids. This beer barely held a head even in a Duvel glass that has an etching in the bottom to help maintain a head. Glad to have tried this respected brew but don't see myself returning to it anytime soon. Didn't finish my pint before submitting this review to top it off a pile of sludge at the end of this beer...sorry just wrong.

10-25-2011 02:59:44 | More by hoser
errantnight

2.48/5  rDev -42.6%

I regret not having made a record of the bottling that was tasted, here, but alas... this is an unappetizing batch of Weasel.

The pour looks great, a deep jet black with a thin head. But right away on the nose there's problems. There's a hint, a whisper of of awesome coffee and chocolate roast that just gets overwhelmed by hot, spicy phenols.

On the palate the phenolic spice overload continues, causing havoc with what are clearly a solid recipe and excellent use of coffee in the background. Harshening the mix, the phenols play to the already tannic qualities this has an unpleasant, acrid finish.

The body hangs in there, a lush smoothness keeps drawing me back... I know there's a version of this beer that's good. Alas, this bottle is not it.

06-22-2011 16:06:29 | More by errantnight
charlesw

2.53/5  rDev -41.4%

Straight up 3s - just average. It's nice and black but has an ENORMOUS head. Smells kind of stouty - metalic, coffee, burnt umber (that sounded good, didn't it? Only it's a color and not an odor and whatever. But, hey, it smells of charred meats, OK? OK????). Burned caramels and coffee and bitter and ashes in our mouthes. Certainly neither balanced nor an oatmeal stout. Probably an RIS - a beer known for being RAW. And that's just what it is - way raw, way edgy. I'm not sure this is where I want to go. I'm all for balance and this isn't it. Very nice mouthfeel and I can't finish my bottle.

Edit: terrible, lingering bitter and sour aftertaste and the mouthfeel gets knocked down 'cause the bottle 4 ounces of the bottle were full of some nasty slime. Ew!

07-01-2009 21:02:01 | More by charlesw
armock

2.58/5  rDev -40.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle from Best Damn Beer Shop (in Super Jr. Market) San Diego CA

A - Poured a black color with a brown head that leaves lacing behind

S - Isn't all that good expensive weasel poop coffee doesn't smell as good as the cheaper coffee beans used in other beers

T - Much like the nose it tastes like coffee just not good coffee I guess along with a bitter alcoholic finish

M - This beer has a watery body with medium carbonation to it

O - Over the past two years I've actually grown to like most coffee beers so unlike my early coffee beer reviews where I gave so called good beers a bad review this one just tastes bad to me I don't care how much it costs (although I did want to like this because of price) or rare the coffee is much like beer rarer and pricier doesn't always mean better so unless your a beer snob thats also a coffee snob save your cash

05-13-2011 22:44:07 | More by armock
ChadQuest

2.83/5  rDev -34.5%

Unimpressed by the aroma, watery coffee is predominate, but luckly the flavor is better. coffee and big chocolate malts are forefront, only a little alcohol heat. Nice mouthfeel from the Oatmeal: velvety and smooth with a medium/thick body. not really worth the $17 bottle price tag though at all, there are a good amount of Coffee stouts that are better that sell for much lower prices. Kopi Luwak is a huge fad too, it's a joke in the coffee world, but the mainstream world loves its hype. keep up the hype on this. keep it up.

04-07-2010 18:29:36 | More by ChadQuest
largadeer

2.93/5  rDev -32.2%

Black and opaque, a vigorous pour yields little head. Earthy aroma with a moderate coffee presence. Hints at vanilla and dark fruit. The coffee aroma doesn't really jump out here, nor is there a lot of complexity. On the palate, I get roasted grain, coffee, light toffee sweetness and a hint of citrus. Medium-bodied, perhaps a touch thin for the ABV. Sugary, acrid finish. Lingering burnt bitterness with some solventy heat. As usual with Mikkeller, I'm not terribly impressed here. Decent.

05-19-2009 17:34:03 | More by largadeer
scarnold8

Indiana

2.98/5  rDev -31%

Bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Pours pitch black with medium brown head. Left lacing on the glass as I drank.
S - Smells of rich coffee and dark chocolate malty goodness.
T - Malty and chocolate upfront and an extremely bitter coffee finish with some heat from the alcohol. The bitterness faded as I drank more, could have been that I got used to it, could have been the alcohol and bitterness numbing my taste buds so I couldn't taste it anymore.
M - Smooth, somewhat creamy. Nothing special, nothing bad about it.
D - Low. The coffee bitterness is too much for me. I would not have another.

Disappointed by the bitterness in this brew. I was excited to try it, but ended up being let down. If you enjoy rich, bitter coffee, I think you would love this beer.

08-01-2010 16:30:13 | More by scarnold8
Retsinis

3.05/5  rDev -29.4%

Had this twice now, so time for a review. This bottle, as the last was shared with me (thanks skuter) at a tasting.

Poured from the 355ml bottle into a Bruery tulip glass.

A: The beer pours a near black, with a dark brown hue. A very small, ring of head formed, so not lacing really. This is pretty lightly carbonated.

S: I get whiffs of espresso, roasted malt, and hints of dark chochlate, also quite a bit of smoke.

T: Roasted coffee, smoked BBQ mesquite, hints of mild dark chocolate.

M: Light mouth, very lightly carbonated, and slightly astringent.

O: Alright, but it misses the mark for me for a Imperisal stout. The flavors are a bit off for my tastes, and considering it was made with the most expensive coffee in the world, that flavors comes off bitter, burnt, and smoked. Wasn't crazy the first time I had it, but that was a while ago, and my palate has changed, so I gave this another try. 2nd time on this one, not any better. Trying to find something I like from Mikkeller, but maybe their just not for me.

04-21-2011 00:29:23 | More by Retsinis
djmichaelk

3.05/5  rDev -29.4%

500ml bottle into my Kate snifter.

A - Inky black, with a finger of dense, mocha-colored head. Solid retention and spectacular lacing.

S - Anise, dark chocolate, and burnt sugar. An unpleasant acrid note floats around. Surprisingly, little to no coffee aroma at all.

T - Dark chocolate, fudge brownie, and lots of hoppy bitterness. Maybe a hint of coffee in the finish, but definitely not much. Underwhelming. Wondering if I got an older bottle, but hard to tell with no dating.

M - Thick and creamy, with slightly-too-aggressive carbonation which gives it kind of a sharp bite. It smooths out as it warms up.

O - I've been waiting to try this one after hearing great things and liking the regular Brunch. It was disappointing to say the least, especially since I love the particular brand of coffee in this one. I'm left wondering if it's just a bad or old bottle, so I'll give it another shot down the road when I can get it from somewhere that has a high turnover to ensure freshness.

05-17-2012 15:16:07 | More by djmichaelk
harrymel

Washington

3.13/5  rDev -27.5%

Thanks for UMNBeerhunter for this extra, cheers Joe!

A: Pours a dark, nearly black ale with little head formation. Medium sheet of light mocha, fine bubble sheet on surface. Spider web lacing.

S: Plenty of coffee as anticipated. The beer offers up a high astringency in the coffee, but then subsequently opens up to reveal the malts and tones I typically die for. Amazingly subdued by the coffee. As it warms, the beer becomes more open and enjoyable.

T: The coffee again dominates the beer. If I were interested in the idea that coffee should be the highlight of a beer, I would likely enjoy this, here, no. Slight oaty, malty beer with hints of resiny hops.

M: Thick, and oatmeal engrained. Sticks to my teeth and relays a film on the tongue which does not disappear.

D: This beer is good for one taste.

03-07-2011 21:10:16 | More by harrymel
donkeyrunner

3.23/5  rDev -25.2%

I can't believe I'm drinking poop.

Thick, syrupy dark brown pour. Sits opaque black in my glass. 2 finger dark tan head. Archipelago of retention wraps around my glass and leaves a few lacey marks. Looks like a big, dark, bad-ass beer.

Smell is awesome. Molasses, musky spiced rum, raisins and figs and lots and lots of roast malt. Smells like a kitten puncher.

Tastes...odd. A very dark, earthy...something. Honestly it taste like coal with an acrid, drying fade. It's just not very good. It has the sharp coffee bitterness down pat but lacks any balance to take away from such harshness.

I'm not a fan and this is coming from me, a big fan of poo.

07-12-2010 23:55:55 | More by donkeyrunner
TurdFurgison

3.35/5  rDev -22.5%

550mL bottle purchased for about $14-15 in Columus several months ago. , milk chocolate colored foam. The beer is black with dark chocolate sides. The smell is strong coffee (apparently coffee beans that have already been digested by civet cats) and roiasted malts. The beer tastes strongly of coffee beans in a nice sweetly malted web. The body is fuller than average but not as smooth as other oatmeal stouts. Overall a great beer but not worth its price point. One and done, cannot afford to drink this again.

06-21-2009 03:52:18 | More by TurdFurgison
Luk13

Quebec (Canada)

3.4/5  rDev -21.3%

Appearance is what you expect of such a highly rated imperial stout; pitch black with a thick foamy tan head and heavy lacing. In the aroma, we get a lot of hop freshness, freshly ground coffee beans, some milk-stout like lactic acidity and vanilla sweetness and a bit of spice (maybe fresh ginger). Taste comes in vanilla-sweet at first and turns into heavy coffee bitterness that leaves a very dry long lasting finale as a mouthfeel. A bit of extra smokiness and vanilla in the taste with warming alcohol. A little too much coffee flavors and the palate was a little too dry. Very hard to drink.

07-15-2010 18:16:59 | More by Luk13
heygeebee

Australia

3.44/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

From Platinum - aged one year.

A - black n tan, one finger coarse head, fades to somewhat scummy film. Spotty lace

S - muted, coffee as it warms.

T - blast of coffee, roasts, dry. Hollow mid palate. Some bready doughy notes, unusual for style. Also some stale hop notes.

M - lightly carbed, medium weight, not oily. No real booze.

O - not sure if I should have left this in the cellar or not.... Seems a little dull and dry.... Did I mention dry? Not an enjoyable drink.... Sad to say.
Would like to try one fresh to see if it was more balanced. Given overall profile, and also price point I will likely try.

07-30-2013 23:49:39 | More by heygeebee
DovaliHops

3.48/5  rDev -19.4%

Pours jet black with a very small brown head that diminishes quickly. Great looking beer. Aroma is a lot of tasty coffee and some dark chocolate. The taste is definitely a coffee bomb. Lots of coffee and TONS of dark chocolate. I love some dark chocolate taste in my beer (even though I hate eating dark chocolate)...but this chocolate is a little too dark for me. This is kinda disappointing to me that the dark chocolate overwhelms the tasty coffee flavors. Mouthfeel is velvety and pleasant. Drinkability is not very high due to my personal dislike for extremely dark chocolate.

10-20-2010 05:52:53 | More by DovaliHops
Tolann

Colorado

3.48/5  rDev -19.4%

I don't buy too many imported beers and tend to favor American micro brews, but I love coffee beers way too much to ever pass this up!

A - Black! very dark! thin roasted head that evenly floats on top. Lacing wants to cling tightly to the glass. Gorgeous!

S - cold press coffee with a little spice and some chocolate. Just enough sweetness that it's not too roasted/dry smelling and it's in no way hidden. A bit boozy.

T - Little bit like a milk stout. Big time Imperial Stout. Still boozy. Not as much coffee as I'd hope.

M - creamy, medium-heavy mouthfeel. bit of alcohol blows off on your breath. Heat sits on your tongue.

o -It's a bit more alcohol hot than I'd prefer, but I bet it would become awesome with some age. I still feel like I missed out on some coffee characteristics. drink this one warmer than colder. Not bad at all, but where's the rest of the coffee?

did I get the same beer everyone else here reviewed? I feel ripped off.

09-11-2011 05:02:16 | More by Tolann
StoryOfTheGhost

3.48/5  rDev -19.4%

A- Black, flat, dark copper head, quickly dissipates leaving no trace

S- Coffee. Not very complex. I can smell a bit of the maltiness and some booze, but predominantly coffee

T- Coffee. Different than most coffee forward stouts. This is not a sweet coffee, and it is not coffee+dark chocolate, it is just coffee with roasted malts up front. The coffee flavor did not work for me on this one. It left a bit of a metallic taste in the mouth, and there was no real complexity to it.

M- Dark, chewy, viscous, little carbonation, alcohol feel- exactly what you would expect and want from the style

O- I always take value into account when rating overall- and this beer is just not a good buy for the price. It is OK, definitely not a bad beer, but not one that I will be revisiting. I like Mikkeller a lot, but this is not one of their best offerings

01-15-2012 10:29:46 | More by StoryOfTheGhost
Orangevango

South Carolina

3.5/5  rDev -19%

The appearance of this beer is what you would expect from an imperial stout. Very dark brown with a beautiful Halle-Berry colored head. Easily the weakest point of this beer is it's aroma which reminded me strongly of cooked cabbage with black pepper. The smell was a turn off, but luckily it was not that intense. The taste is par for the course, but well balanced, containing mild roasted grains, coffee and a bit of caramel. However, the mouthfeel of this beer is phenomenal, on the tim of your tongue it tingles, in the middle it is smooth as silk, on on the edges it is a touch syrupy (amazing)

A good beer, but not worth the price they charge for it.

02-21-2009 20:47:29 | More by Orangevango
ohmybock

Georgia

3.53/5  rDev -18.3%

Ah...the infamous weasel beer!

This beer poured with a rocky, volatile, big-bubbled head and a nice, dark body. The head then dissipated fairly quickly leaving a lasting slight ring. I wasn't sure what to expect from the aroma, but it was surprisingly reserved in the coffee department. There was a bit of dark-malt character and maybe even a hint of tartness, but otherwise it was kind of dull. I expected a strong dose of coffee, but it didn't find it. The flavor was better, though. The taste has a rush of dry-ish/dark malts up front, some English yeast characteristics, dark sweet-ish fruit later on, and a touch of coffee. Again, the coffee character is milder than I expected. In fact, the coffee almost gets lost within what would normally be just a coffee-style character from various roasted malts. If nothing else, this was a fun beer to try, and I liked it more than the regular Beer Geek Breakfast.

06-21-2009 21:02:22 | More by ohmybock
ktrillionaire

3.58/5  rDev -17.1%

Thanks to chefmikeanderson for the brew.

A - This looks absolutely perfect. Inky black, with a slow-forming head that rises as a creeping crimson froth but emerges as a taupe head about two fingers high. As the glass drains, there remains a series of alternate stripes on the glass that mimics a racoon tail. Probably the best looking Stout I've ever seen.

S - The nose is shockingly vacant; I wonder, is it me? I pass it to my girl and my best friend, but they too find a nose of scarteen, zilch, nada. As it airs out and warms up, a vague roastiness appears and an impression perhaps most akin to pencil shavings. I am taken aback at how plain and flavorless the nose is.

T - The taste is quite a bit nicer than the aroma, but it still falls quite short of world-class. There is some coffee in the flavor, but it is not tremendously prominent, nor tremendously tremendous. I also pick up on some sharp lumber-wood flavors, and some bitter-herbal hop. I am less and less impressed by the minute.

M - It is not the picture of viscosity, but it is tremendously creamy and has a very enhancing feel.

D - This is a nice beer, lacking in some aspects, outstanding in others.

11-10-2010 01:37:10 | More by ktrillionaire
CMW

Missouri

3.6/5  rDev -16.7%

A - Pours a very dark brown, almost black. Large tan head with good retention and lacing. While it is almost completely opaque, heavy carbonation can still be seen.

S - Roasted malt was the first thing that shot up at me. This was followed by subtle coffee and chocolate flavors. Also, the alcohol is noticeable.

T - Sweetness from the chocolate is the first thing I notice. This gives way to the roasted, chewy malt. Coffee flavors are there but somewhat masked by the high alcohol.

M - High carbonation but somwhat watery.

D - While this is a good beer, the alcohol and the price make it a one-time only purchase.

04-04-2009 17:05:33 | More by CMW
Arbitrator

3.6/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Chilled bottle into a glass. Shared by mfielden, I believe. Thanks Mark!

A: Pours a pitch black body with a wonderfully dense beige head. Retention is very short, as I'd expect from a 10+% beer. Some trails of bubbles on top of the brew and a little lacing during a swig.

S: Really bitter, roasted coffee in the smell. So this is what that famous cat poop java smells like. Mmm! Molasses and chocolate give it a sweeter note to balance out that very sharp bitterness.

T: If you don't like coffee or poop, this may not be the beer for you. It's very sharp and stinging with a roasted coffee note. I have to say, it's very distinct and unlike any other coffee or coffee stout I've ever had. Molasses, dark chocolate, and a grainy component in the mid-taste that provide some complexity (though not as much as I'd expect from something this big) and balance to the beer. Quite tasty.

M: Smooth as silk; very velvety. I guessed this was an oatmeal stout from the mouthfeel alone: there's always something very smooth and creamy about them. This one is no exception.

D: I'm informed this runs $10, which is a little high, but tolerable for a 500mL bottle (especially taking into account the cost of the coffee). I admit I enjoyed it. I'd pay it again.

04-07-2010 21:47:31 | More by Arbitrator
mikereaser

Poured from a bottle on 12/27/09

A - pours a pitch black with a big foaming tan foam that slowly disappeared

S - strong roasted coffee, oatmeal & chocolate

T - strong bitter coffee, can't decide if I like it or not

M - creamy, smooth, good carbonation

D - the bitterness of the coffee makes me not want to have another.

07-07-2010 16:19:59 | More by mikereaser
BeachRez

3.6/5  rDev -16.7%

Not sure where this bottle came from. I have been sitting on it for a while waiting for the opportunity to try.

Poured a jet black with a very slight head.

The smell, and taste, were different. Coffee; but nothing I am familiar with. In Fact, I would love to try this coffee straight. It has an earthy taste to it.

Smooth. Such a robust coffee flavor, i almost can't taste the beer. I will admit, to me, it is a little too much for this style. I prefer the regular. But props to attempting this.

01-06-2011 04:27:23 | More by BeachRez