Beer Geek Brunch Weasel - Mikkeller ApS

Denmark

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.90% ABV

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 01-02-2009

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.

Imperial oatmeal stout brewed with coffee. Ingredients: Water, malts, hops, yeast and Vietnamese ca phe chon coffee.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,400 | Reviews: 766

3.53/5  rDev -18.3%

I don't buy too many imported beers and tend to favor American micro brews, but I love coffee beers way too much to ever pass this up!

A - Black! very dark! thin roasted head that evenly floats on top. Lacing wants to cling tightly to the glass. Gorgeous!

S - cold press coffee with a little spice and some chocolate. Just enough sweetness that it's not too roasted/dry smelling and it's in no way hidden. A bit boozy.

T - Little bit like a milk stout. Big time Imperial Stout. Still boozy. Not as much coffee as I'd hope.

M - creamy, medium-heavy mouthfeel. bit of alcohol blows off on your breath. Heat sits on your tongue.

o -It's a bit more alcohol hot than I'd prefer, but I bet it would become awesome with some age. I still feel like I missed out on some coffee characteristics. drink this one warmer than colder. Not bad at all, but where's the rest of the coffee?

did I get the same beer everyone else here reviewed? I feel ripped off.

3.53/5  rDev -18.3%

A- Black, flat, dark copper head, quickly dissipates leaving no trace

S- Coffee. Not very complex. I can smell a bit of the maltiness and some booze, but predominantly coffee

T- Coffee. Different than most coffee forward stouts. This is not a sweet coffee, and it is not coffee+dark chocolate, it is just coffee with roasted malts up front. The coffee flavor did not work for me on this one. It left a bit of a metallic taste in the mouth, and there was no real complexity to it.

M- Dark, chewy, viscous, little carbonation, alcohol feel- exactly what you would expect and want from the style

O- I always take value into account when rating overall- and this beer is just not a good buy for the price. It is OK, definitely not a bad beer, but not one that I will be revisiting. I like Mikkeller a lot, but this is not one of their best offerings

3.55/5  rDev -17.8%

Thanks to chefmikeanderson for the brew.

A - This looks absolutely perfect. Inky black, with a slow-forming head that rises as a creeping crimson froth but emerges as a taupe head about two fingers high. As the glass drains, there remains a series of alternate stripes on the glass that mimics a racoon tail. Probably the best looking Stout I've ever seen.

S - The nose is shockingly vacant; I wonder, is it me? I pass it to my girl and my best friend, but they too find a nose of scarteen, zilch, nada. As it airs out and warms up, a vague roastiness appears and an impression perhaps most akin to pencil shavings. I am taken aback at how plain and flavorless the nose is.

T - The taste is quite a bit nicer than the aroma, but it still falls quite short of world-class. There is some coffee in the flavor, but it is not tremendously prominent, nor tremendously tremendous. I also pick up on some sharp lumber-wood flavors, and some bitter-herbal hop. I am less and less impressed by the minute.

M - It is not the picture of viscosity, but it is tremendously creamy and has a very enhancing feel.

D - This is a nice beer, lacking in some aspects, outstanding in others.

3.55/5  rDev -17.8%

Pours jet black with a very small brown head that diminishes quickly. Great looking beer. Aroma is a lot of tasty coffee and some dark chocolate. The taste is definitely a coffee bomb. Lots of coffee and TONS of dark chocolate. I love some dark chocolate taste in my beer (even though I hate eating dark chocolate)...but this chocolate is a little too dark for me. This is kinda disappointing to me that the dark chocolate overwhelms the tasty coffee flavors. Mouthfeel is velvety and pleasant. Drinkability is not very high due to my personal dislike for extremely dark chocolate.

3.59/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A - Thick, almost black brew. Zero head when poured straight from the bottle. Lots of alcohol legs.

S - Alcohol right up front followed by chocolate, charred malts, and then a hint of coffee.

T - Lots of coffee. No alcohol burn, which was surprising for the aroma. Tastes of rich, black coffee. Finishes with sweet chocolate on the back of the tongue.

M - Very heavy, no carbonation, and lots of coffee after taste.

O - Love the idea behind this beer. Very drinkable for %10, but a very heavy price at $10 for a 12 oz. bottle.

3.59/5  rDev -16.9%

3.6/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Chilled bottle into a glass. Shared by mfielden, I believe. Thanks Mark!

A: Pours a pitch black body with a wonderfully dense beige head. Retention is very short, as I'd expect from a 10+% beer. Some trails of bubbles on top of the brew and a little lacing during a swig.

S: Really bitter, roasted coffee in the smell. So this is what that famous cat poop java smells like. Mmm! Molasses and chocolate give it a sweeter note to balance out that very sharp bitterness.

T: If you don't like coffee or poop, this may not be the beer for you. It's very sharp and stinging with a roasted coffee note. I have to say, it's very distinct and unlike any other coffee or coffee stout I've ever had. Molasses, dark chocolate, and a grainy component in the mid-taste that provide some complexity (though not as much as I'd expect from something this big) and balance to the beer. Quite tasty.

M: Smooth as silk; very velvety. I guessed this was an oatmeal stout from the mouthfeel alone: there's always something very smooth and creamy about them. This one is no exception.

D: I'm informed this runs $10, which is a little high, but tolerable for a 500mL bottle (especially taking into account the cost of the coffee). I admit I enjoyed it. I'd pay it again.

First had: bottle from Capone's bottle shop, Norristown, PA

Generic review: "It smelled and tasted like weasel sh*t!"

But seriously...

Poured into a Trappiste Rochefort chalice, jet black with a puff of mocha head that receded to an amoeba-like patch of bubbles and left some nice lacing on the glass. Roasty malts in the nose, coffee, and some notes of booze and phenols. Taste of roasted coffee, molasses, licorice and licorice, and lots of booze. Not quite as smooth as I'd expect from an oatmeal stout. Quite a bit of bitterness, especially towards the end. On the heavier end of medium-bodied, strong, but pretty drinkable nonetheless.

3.63/5  rDev -16%

Poured a 16.9oz bottle into my Boulevard Smokestack chalice. This beer pours a India Ink black, allowing no light to show through. Coupled with a light, 2 inch flat head really makes for a bit of an imposing beer. The head quickly disappears and leaves no lacing as the beer leaves my glass and enters my belly. The aroma is darkly roasted grains, a slight bit of cream and just some faint wisps of coffee. While the coffee is noticeable, its not nearly as strong as I expected it to be. In my opinion, Beer Geek Breakfast has more coffee in the nose. The flavor is much the same. Dark roasted grains dominated the flavor profile, giving it a mild bitter chocolate flavor, mild roasted coffee, and a big alcohol burn that is hidden pretty well with all those big flavors. The mouthfeel, while full, still finishes pretty dry. This is a good beer but for its price tag, I would rather just have a normal Beer Geek Breakfast. They can save the cat poop and I can save some some cash.

Poured from a bottle on 12/27/09

A - pours a pitch black with a big foaming tan foam that slowly disappeared

S - strong roasted coffee, oatmeal & chocolate

T - strong bitter coffee, can't decide if I like it or not

M - creamy, smooth, good carbonation

D - the bitterness of the coffee makes me not want to have another.

Poured into a Founders snifter

A: Pours a dark espresso color, with a rich reddish-brown tan head.

S: Coffee, malts, hints of carmel and chocolate.

T: Day-old drip coffee(the coffee is there, but it just really isn't all that good) roasted malts, chocolate. \

M/D: Full-bodied, thick and creamy. I thought it seemed a little too hot for my liking.

Overall: A pretty good beer, but it isn't anything to cream yourself over. I'll probably try one again in a few months to see if things settled down.

3.63/5  rDev -16%

Not sure where this bottle came from. I have been sitting on it for a while waiting for the opportunity to try.

Poured a jet black with a very slight head.

The smell, and taste, were different. Coffee; but nothing I am familiar with. In Fact, I would love to try this coffee straight. It has an earthy taste to it.

Smooth. Such a robust coffee flavor, i almost can't taste the beer. I will admit, to me, it is a little too much for this style. I prefer the regular. But props to attempting this.

3.64/5  rDev -15.7%

Just put my son to bed, and my wife is chaperoning a school dance. I'm on vacation, time to review a beer.

A - Pours viscous and completely pitch black with a two finger mocha color head. The head stays around for a really long time. As it recedes it leaves some amazing lacing with a great looking mocha color ring on the side of the glass.

S - Sweet and smoky. I get coffee, malted caramel, chocolate and some sweet vanilla. Im also getting a slight off aroma that i cant quite describe, perhaps peat?

T - A coffee bomb. Initially i taste the roasted coffee bean, but it finishes a bit bitter as i would imagine the raw coffee bean to taste. Very smoky with a bitter coffee finish. I still pick up that off flavor, which is what i perceive as the smoke.

M - Thick, creamy and smooth with medium carbonation.

O - This is a complex and truly unusual beer. I enjoyed drinking it. Perhaps that was due to the hype, but it was good. I think for the price however there are many way better stouts that i can see myself choosing over this beer any day of the week. I doubt i will buy this beer again, at least for a really long time.

3.65/5  rDev -15.5%

A - Pours a very dark brown, almost black. Large tan head with good retention and lacing. While it is almost completely opaque, heavy carbonation can still be seen.

S - Roasted malt was the first thing that shot up at me. This was followed by subtle coffee and chocolate flavors. Also, the alcohol is noticeable.

T - Sweetness from the chocolate is the first thing I notice. This gives way to the roasted, chewy malt. Coffee flavors are there but somewhat masked by the high alcohol.

M - High carbonation but somwhat watery.

D - While this is a good beer, the alcohol and the price make it a one-time only purchase.

3.66/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

One pint .9oz bottle
Served in a snifter

A - It is super dark. It may as well be black. I got two inches of dark brown head.

S - The first thing I smelled was licorice. I also got some milk chocolate and molasses.

T - My initial taste was strong coffee. It subsided as the beer warmed and was replaced with licorice, molasses and milk chocolate.

M - Silky smooth. Low carbonation

O - I was a little disappointed in the lack of coffee in taste and smell. This bottle is a year old so that may have been my mistake. There was a lot more anise/licorice than I care for.

3.66/5  rDev -15.3%

Pours a gorgeous pitch black in my duvel tulip, with a thick creamy two plus fingers of espresso colored foam. The head holds on through have the beer and leaves thick spider webs of lace. Truly a beautiful looking forward. The nose brings notes of dark roasted malt, earthy bitter chocolate, freshly ground mocha java finishing with a touch of forest floor and campfire. The taste right away reminds me of a borderline rauchbier, heavy on the roasty notes which i perceive more as smoke. Chewy and thick with light carbonation, the coffee acidity and slight hop bitterness pulls this beer in balance. A very well made and sexy beer - i have a problem with the heavy roast making it hard to taste any of the flavors, though the coffee peaks through along with dark red fruits.

Update just had this beer from the same batch as my previous review (which i apparently wrote drunk based on the non sensical beginning). Still picked up the roasty/smoky note as the most prominent taste and the dar fruits have faded but the beer seemed to be better balanced. The chocolate was lighter and the coffee dropped out, but this still is a very tasty stout and i would lift my taste score to a 4 with the others remaining the same.

3.66/5  rDev -15.3%

bomber served in a snifter glass.

pours a thick, motor-oil black with a solid mocha-toned finger of creamy head; lasting retention and beautiful walls of lacing. pretty much the archetype of an imperial stout, presentation-wise. very impressive.

nice, flavorful nose. strong notes of roasted malts, molasses, coffee, and some bitter chocolate. not the best i've ever smelled, but very good.

wow, taste takes a disappointing step back. flavorful, mostly following the aroma, but much too bitter for my liking. improves some as it warms but never achieves top-notch status.

rich, creamy, full-bodied mouthfeel moutfeel with medium-low carbonation. i don't find this offering to be very drinkable at all. real roller-coaster of a beer for me, with scores all over the map. ultimately, i just feel there are better imperial stouts out there, and many that are less costly. maybe the civet shit coffee is lost on me...

3.66/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a tulip. After a weekend of disappointing beer, I need one that I know will be a homerun. Pours with a nice thick creamy mocha head that shrinks to about half an inch thick atop a pitch black body. Super sticky lacing.

The aroma is somewhat fruity, with a bit of dark cherry alongside the typical chocolate aromas.

The bitterness of the coffee shines through at the start and especially the finish. Just a touch of malt sweetness is there to mellow it out. The taste is a bit intense; for coffee lovers only.

This one is pretty thick. The carbonation is soft to medium, and brings out the bitterness of the coffee. This is a coffee bomb, but the coffee is tasty.

3.67/5  rDev -15%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.68/5  rDev -14.8%

A - pure black with a tall dark brown creamy head that leaves just a touch of lace.

S - strong roasted malts and roasted coffee. A bit of chocolate and something that I can only describe as black olives. Minor hop bitterness after time.

T - hop bitterness is much stronger in the flavor. Bitter coffee with chocolate and malts.

M - medium coating but no real tingles, just a little on the front of the tongue over time.

D - a bit too bitter for a regular brew.

3.68/5  rDev -14.8%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Beer Geek Brunch Weasel from Mikkeller ApS