Beer Geek Brunch Weasel - Mikkeller ApS

Denmark

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.90% ABV

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 01-02-2009

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.

Imperial oatmeal stout brewed with coffee. Ingredients: Water, malts, hops, yeast and Vietnamese ca phe chon coffee.
Reviews: 780 | Hads: 2,550

First had: bottle from Capone's bottle shop, Norristown, PA

Generic review: "It smelled and tasted like weasel sh*t!"

But seriously...

Poured into a Trappiste Rochefort chalice, jet black with a puff of mocha head that receded to an amoeba-like patch of bubbles and left some nice lacing on the glass. Roasty malts in the nose, coffee, and some notes of booze and phenols. Taste of roasted coffee, molasses, licorice and licorice, and lots of booze. Not quite as smooth as I'd expect from an oatmeal stout. Quite a bit of bitterness, especially towards the end. On the heavier end of medium-bodied, strong, but pretty drinkable nonetheless. (643 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -15.6%

Poured a 16.9oz bottle into my Boulevard Smokestack chalice. This beer pours a India Ink black, allowing no light to show through. Coupled with a light, 2 inch flat head really makes for a bit of an imposing beer. The head quickly disappears and leaves no lacing as the beer leaves my glass and enters my belly. The aroma is darkly roasted grains, a slight bit of cream and just some faint wisps of coffee. While the coffee is noticeable, its not nearly as strong as I expected it to be. In my opinion, Beer Geek Breakfast has more coffee in the nose. The flavor is much the same. Dark roasted grains dominated the flavor profile, giving it a mild bitter chocolate flavor, mild roasted coffee, and a big alcohol burn that is hidden pretty well with all those big flavors. The mouthfeel, while full, still finishes pretty dry. This is a good beer but for its price tag, I would rather just have a normal Beer Geek Breakfast. They can save the cat poop and I can save some some cash. (981 characters)

Poured from a bottle on 12/27/09

A - pours a pitch black with a big foaming tan foam that slowly disappeared

S - strong roasted coffee, oatmeal & chocolate

T - strong bitter coffee, can't decide if I like it or not

M - creamy, smooth, good carbonation

D - the bitterness of the coffee makes me not want to have another. (324 characters)

Poured into a Founders snifter

A: Pours a dark espresso color, with a rich reddish-brown tan head.

S: Coffee, malts, hints of carmel and chocolate.

T: Day-old drip coffee(the coffee is there, but it just really isn't all that good) roasted malts, chocolate. \

M/D: Full-bodied, thick and creamy. I thought it seemed a little too hot for my liking.

Overall: A pretty good beer, but it isn't anything to cream yourself over. I'll probably try one again in a few months to see if things settled down. (502 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -15.6%

Not sure where this bottle came from. I have been sitting on it for a while waiting for the opportunity to try.

Poured a jet black with a very slight head.

The smell, and taste, were different. Coffee; but nothing I am familiar with. In Fact, I would love to try this coffee straight. It has an earthy taste to it.

Smooth. Such a robust coffee flavor, i almost can't taste the beer. I will admit, to me, it is a little too much for this style. I prefer the regular. But props to attempting this. (498 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -15.3%

Just put my son to bed, and my wife is chaperoning a school dance. I'm on vacation, time to review a beer.

A - Pours viscous and completely pitch black with a two finger mocha color head. The head stays around for a really long time. As it recedes it leaves some amazing lacing with a great looking mocha color ring on the side of the glass.

S - Sweet and smoky. I get coffee, malted caramel, chocolate and some sweet vanilla. Im also getting a slight off aroma that i cant quite describe, perhaps peat?

T - A coffee bomb. Initially i taste the roasted coffee bean, but it finishes a bit bitter as i would imagine the raw coffee bean to taste. Very smoky with a bitter coffee finish. I still pick up that off flavor, which is what i perceive as the smoke.

M - Thick, creamy and smooth with medium carbonation.

O - This is a complex and truly unusual beer. I enjoyed drinking it. Perhaps that was due to the hype, but it was good. I think for the price however there are many way better stouts that i can see myself choosing over this beer any day of the week. I doubt i will buy this beer again, at least for a really long time. (1,134 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -15.1%

A - Pours a very dark brown, almost black. Large tan head with good retention and lacing. While it is almost completely opaque, heavy carbonation can still be seen.

S - Roasted malt was the first thing that shot up at me. This was followed by subtle coffee and chocolate flavors. Also, the alcohol is noticeable.

T - Sweetness from the chocolate is the first thing I notice. This gives way to the roasted, chewy malt. Coffee flavors are there but somewhat masked by the high alcohol.

M - High carbonation but somwhat watery.

D - While this is a good beer, the alcohol and the price make it a one-time only purchase. (619 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

One pint .9oz bottle
Served in a snifter

A - It is super dark. It may as well be black. I got two inches of dark brown head.

S - The first thing I smelled was licorice. I also got some milk chocolate and molasses.

T - My initial taste was strong coffee. It subsided as the beer warmed and was replaced with licorice, molasses and milk chocolate.

M - Silky smooth. Low carbonation

O - I was a little disappointed in the lack of coffee in taste and smell. This bottle is a year old so that may have been my mistake. There was a lot more anise/licorice than I care for. (572 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -14.9%

Pours a gorgeous pitch black in my duvel tulip, with a thick creamy two plus fingers of espresso colored foam. The head holds on through have the beer and leaves thick spider webs of lace. Truly a beautiful looking forward. The nose brings notes of dark roasted malt, earthy bitter chocolate, freshly ground mocha java finishing with a touch of forest floor and campfire. The taste right away reminds me of a borderline rauchbier, heavy on the roasty notes which i perceive more as smoke. Chewy and thick with light carbonation, the coffee acidity and slight hop bitterness pulls this beer in balance. A very well made and sexy beer - i have a problem with the heavy roast making it hard to taste any of the flavors, though the coffee peaks through along with dark red fruits.

Update just had this beer from the same batch as my previous review (which i apparently wrote drunk based on the non sensical beginning). Still picked up the roasty/smoky note as the most prominent taste and the dar fruits have faded but the beer seemed to be better balanced. The chocolate was lighter and the coffee dropped out, but this still is a very tasty stout and i would lift my taste score to a 4 with the others remaining the same. (1,220 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -14.9%

bomber served in a snifter glass.

pours a thick, motor-oil black with a solid mocha-toned finger of creamy head; lasting retention and beautiful walls of lacing. pretty much the archetype of an imperial stout, presentation-wise. very impressive.

nice, flavorful nose. strong notes of roasted malts, molasses, coffee, and some bitter chocolate. not the best i've ever smelled, but very good.

wow, taste takes a disappointing step back. flavorful, mostly following the aroma, but much too bitter for my liking. improves some as it warms but never achieves top-notch status.

rich, creamy, full-bodied mouthfeel moutfeel with medium-low carbonation. i don't find this offering to be very drinkable at all. real roller-coaster of a beer for me, with scores all over the map. ultimately, i just feel there are better imperial stouts out there, and many that are less costly. maybe the civet shit coffee is lost on me... (917 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a tulip. After a weekend of disappointing beer, I need one that I know will be a homerun. Pours with a nice thick creamy mocha head that shrinks to about half an inch thick atop a pitch black body. Super sticky lacing.

The aroma is somewhat fruity, with a bit of dark cherry alongside the typical chocolate aromas.

The bitterness of the coffee shines through at the start and especially the finish. Just a touch of malt sweetness is there to mellow it out. The taste is a bit intense; for coffee lovers only.

This one is pretty thick. The carbonation is soft to medium, and brings out the bitterness of the coffee. This is a coffee bomb, but the coffee is tasty. (677 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -14.4%

A - pure black with a tall dark brown creamy head that leaves just a touch of lace.

S - strong roasted malts and roasted coffee. A bit of chocolate and something that I can only describe as black olives. Minor hop bitterness after time.

T - hop bitterness is much stronger in the flavor. Bitter coffee with chocolate and malts.

M - medium coating but no real tingles, just a little on the front of the tongue over time.

D - a bit too bitter for a regular brew. (464 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I have had the pleasure of having this beer a few times; just finally getting around to reviewing it.

22oz bottle poured into a White Birch glass. This one pours and aggressively daunting looking black with coca-cola colored highlights that may only be seen whilst in mid-pour. A massive, crushed Oreo cookie colored head cascades into life. The head looks like an impenetrable force; solid as a rock. It slowly fades out of existence and leaves behind it some really decent looking lace. What a great looking head though!

The nose on this guy is almost what I was hoping for. Freshly ground and roasted black coffee, bitter chocolate and burnt oatmeal cookies make up the profile. The nose is really quite satisfying but lacking a few elements I would have liked to pick up on.

The taste seems to be on par with the nose, but then becomes a bit overwhelming for me. An intense wave of coffee is what hits my taste buds first. It is very bitter, and almost seems acrid. It is like a pot of coffee being made with too much water; the flavors are over-diluted and you are left with a lingering bitterness. The chocolate just manages to squeeze through at the finish but is too muted to help at this point.

The prickly carbonation helps the drinkability on this one. It is actually modestly smooth but a bit less chewy and viscous than I was originally hoping for. The alcohol is clearly present to me but not overbearing.

Overall, this one wasn't bad by any means, I did enjoy it. I simply found it to be a bit too much. The bitter coffee notes ran wild and subdued the other subtle flavors I was hoping to find here. I really wish to try the regular version of this beer now as I think that will be more suitable to me. (1,725 characters)

50 cl bottel poured into my berefts tasting glass

A - pours a pitch black with a big foaming tan foam that slowly disappeared

S - strong roasted coffee, oatmeal & chocolate

T - strong bitter coffee, can't decide if I like it or not

M - creamy, smooth, good carbonation

D - the bitterness of the coffee makes me not want to have another. (342 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -14%

Well, knowing I'm an outlier on this one, I have to say this beer was not exceptional for me. Maybe should have had it alone and not with pizza.
Started off well, deep rich color and coffee/stout aroma, but taste was somewhat monochrome and alcohol. Mouthfeel was nothing special and it finished early.Drinkability was fairly limited, have a shot glass or two among friends. I liked it, but over-priced and over-hyped on this one. (430 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -14%

Pours a very dark blackish brown. You're going to go this dark brown, you might as well make it black! Big brownish head to it that vanished within a minute. Interesting.

Smells like milk chocolate, cocoa, and coffee. And not that espresso stuff, neither. I'm talking about black coffee. Okay, maybe a bit of espresso. The style says oatmeal stout. I detect maybe the barest hint in the aroma. A ton of roasted malt, but no acrid bitterness in aroma.

The taste is a mixture of what seems like 100 types of coffee beans, some surprisingly sweet chocolate, and some roasted malt. What shocks me here is the balance. Most coffee beers I have really lack a sweet backbone to balance out the bitter harshness of coffee. Well, this brew has it. Doesn't mean I now want to pick out curtains with coffee brews, but it's quite nice. Once again, the oatmeal is very, very muted. Almost an afterthought. I'm once again surprised at the lack of an acrid bitterness to along with the roasted malt and coffee.

I'm torn on this grade. Part of me wants to say "coffee shouldn't be the focus of a beer, cuz' I don't like it WAAA," and this isn't the best example of the style anyway.

Nicely carbonated. It's good to see some breweries still carbonate their beers. As to drinkability ... there's only so much coffee one can take. (1,318 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -14%

Shared by the super humongous OlieIPA - thanks for not putting me in a headlock and giving me a noogie.

So, it's an Imperial Oatmeal Stout. Big oatmeal head versus subdued high ABV head yields a medium head of moderate retention.

Smells like pancakes and syrup, light whiff of booze.

Flavor has some hotness, kinda overpowering everything else as it warms. Black licorice over burnt coffee. Not my favorite taste.

Smooth but with a rougher finish than the initial silkiness suggests.

Overall: worth a try (510 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -13.5%

Been sitting on this for a few months. Definitely one that could be aged though.

A: Pours a jet black color with a substantial creamy off-white head. Minimal to moderate carbonation. Thick. Some sludge comes out of the bottle, making the beer splash out.

S: Alcohol, hops, coffee and chocolate. As the beer warms up, the alcohol goes away and the chocolate and coffee predominate.

T: Strong coffee flavors with plenty of dark chocolate taste. Strong bitterness both from the hops and the chocolate. SOme elements of caramel and vanilla as well. Much hoppier than expected, but that is ok in this style. The coffee seems to predominate with the chocolate coming in second and the hops in third. More flavorful than the Beer Geek Breakfast in my opinion.

M: Mouthfeel is succulent with oatmeal creaminess and definitely full bodied. Comforting.

D: A pretty decent beer. Not worth the price tag ($13.99) in my opinion. I may try it again, but only if someone else is buying. The coffee adds to the experience, but not enough to warrant this price. I don't think I could drink more than one bottle of this. A worthy effort however. (1,135 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

$16.99 locally. Celebrating finals being over with this.

A: Very enamoring. Deep dark black leather with a brown tide churning in a mercurial pattern. Couple stacks of paper thick head.

S: Actually smelled like a cheap lager from a distance at first crack. Even in up close in the glass it doesn't smell that appealing, a lot of that cheap beer malt liquor smell with some roasted coffee notes, but definitely doesn't smell very inviting.

T: Big Dump Truck unloading a Shitload of Weasel Shit Coffee. Quite bold, but not via coffee flavor overkill. Plenty of sweetness then well balanced with roastiness underneath, then slightly bitter hints underneath the roast. This is a definitely the boldest coffee stout I've had yet, but it is quite excellent. No booze is detectable and I don't get that malt liquor smell in the taste.

M: Definitely significantly drying. My mouth doesn't really know how to handle what's going on

O: Overall its pretty awesome. But after finishing it (relatively quickly) I will not soon spring for another bottle given the price. (1,064 characters)

500 ML bottle poured into a tulip

A-- Started off as a root beer color and changed to almost ink black in the pour. Head is a dark chocolate color that at first was 2 fingers and quickly dropped to just film. Swirling the beer brings a little bit of head but not much. Little carbonation besides the pour.

S-- Lots of roasted malts, rolled oats, prunes, chocolate, brown sugar, vanilla, you name it. Just missing the coffee. More like a liquor chocolate like kahlua.

T-- Big, thick, rich taste. Lots of baking chocolate, molasses, with touches of vanilla, sweet chocolate, and sweet milk. There are flashes of coffee but not a whole lot.

M-- A whole lot in the mouth. Starts of sweet and finishes off baking chocolate dry. More coffee taste in the mouth, get a lot of acidity from the coffee but really a lot of baking chocolate. Alcohol is very obvious. More carbonated than what I really would expect, still is creamy though.

D-- It is good but one is enough. A whole lot of baking chocolate makes this tough to get through and my biggest negative on the beer. ABV is noticeable through the entire beer. Reminds me more of a Kahlua or Tia Maria than anything else. This is a sipper and one to work through. (1,213 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -13.3%

Pours a deep brownish black with a 1.5" toffee colored head.

Nose is of rosted espresso, cocoa powder, and some booze.

Definitely more of an espresso taste than a coffee. It's a little more acidic than I was expecting. It's huge on the roasted flavor and it has some chocolate in there but not as much as I expected. It has a subtle nuttiness to it, but I was hoping for a little more complexity.

It feels like I'm drinking stout flavored maple syrup. It is by far one of the thickest beers I have ever drank. It's not very smooth, and it hits my stomach like a bag of bricks.

Overall, I wish I wouldnt have paid $14 for this one. It was pretty tasty, but it was so thick it was almost not enjoyable. (704 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -13.3%

Pours black with a fluffy toffee colored head. The retention is fucking fantastic and the lacing is also above average.

The aroma is primarily of coffee. I'm not a coffee connoisseur, but this coffee smells different from any that I've smelled before. Subtle alcohol notes are present. I suspect there are other interesting aromas hidden beneath the impenetrable blanket of civet cat shit coffee. There might be some chocolate under there and some roastiness.

The flavor is coffee up front, and it...well, tastes like coffee. This might not have been the best beer to open up at 2 AM. The malt is roasted and there's a hint of chocolate and alcohol, but the coffee pretty much overwhelms any other flavors. The finish is bitter and burnt.

The beer is full bodied with good carbonation.

The coffee is overwhelming, making for a one dimensional beer. (852 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -13%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bottle pour at the Protest Bottle Share For LA Beer Week held at Red Carpet Wine in Glendale, CA.

Pours an opaque black with a foamy khaki head that fades to nothing. No lacing on the drink down. Smell is of dark roasted malt, cocoa, coffee, and slight dark fruit aromas. Taste is much the same with cocoa and dark fruit flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of roasty bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer that is tasty but has a slightly better smell in my opinion. (608 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a Darkness snifter.

A- Two finger dark brown mocha head, dissipates quickly moderate lacing, very dark thick motor oil body, the appearance is very intriguing.
S- Very roasty, hints of smoke, vanilla, alcohol is present in the smell, very mild bitter sourness to it.
T- Very big and complex tasting beer, roasted coffee notes, oats, chocolate, bitterness, caramel, toffee, malts are present as well. A lot going on in this beer.
M- Big mouth feel, very sticky, alcohol is present.
O- Very interesting brew, not one of my favorites but a solid stout, that has a lot going on in a good way, a nice stout to sip on while conversing with fellow beer lovers. (688 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -12.1%

I had a couple of bucks to burn so I decided to splurge on a Beer Geek Brunch after a previous conversation about the kopi luwak bean. (Would love to meet the guy who discovered it.) Got mixed feelings on this one, but ultimately leaning toward a thumbs up with the caveat that I probably won't be reaching for another bottle anytime soon. (Especially at $15/bottle.) Pours beautifully, not much head but what's there is a gorgeous coffee brown with some beautiful lacing. The smell is rich in coffee at first becoming more molasses and bourbon. After you get that strong coffee flavor up front - which is absolutely delicious - there's a powerful bitterness that is enjoyable but a touch overwhelming as it warms up. And at over 10% abv, that alcohol is there in presence and flavor. Really a bomber of a beer, big flavors, big price, big concept - really cool, worth a shot but not one that will make it into the steady rotation. (931 characters)

Beer Geek Brunch Weasel from Mikkeller ApS