Beer Geek Brunch Weasel - Mikkeller ApS

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.90% ABV

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.

Imperial oatmeal stout brewed with coffee. Ingredients: Water, malts, hops, yeast and Vietnamese ca phe chon coffee.

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 01-02-2009)
jamis

Georgia

11-14-2011 15:05:01 | More by shuajw
djmichaelk

3.05/5  rDev -29.4%

500ml bottle into my Kate snifter.

A - Inky black, with a finger of dense, mocha-colored head. Solid retention and spectacular lacing.

S - Anise, dark chocolate, and burnt sugar. An unpleasant acrid note floats around. Surprisingly, little to no coffee aroma at all.

T - Dark chocolate, fudge brownie, and lots of hoppy bitterness. Maybe a hint of coffee in the finish, but definitely not much. Underwhelming. Wondering if I got an older bottle, but hard to tell with no dating.

M - Thick and creamy, with slightly-too-aggressive carbonation which gives it kind of a sharp bite. It smooths out as it warms up.

O - I've been waiting to try this one after hearing great things and liking the regular Brunch. It was disappointing to say the least, especially since I love the particular brand of coffee in this one. I'm left wondering if it's just a bad or old bottle, so I'll give it another shot down the road when I can get it from somewhere that has a high turnover to ensure freshness.

05-17-2012 15:16:07 | More by djmichaelk
Retsinis

3.05/5  rDev -29.4%

Had this twice now, so time for a review. This bottle, as the last was shared with me (thanks skuter) at a tasting.

Poured from the 355ml bottle into a Bruery tulip glass.

A: The beer pours a near black, with a dark brown hue. A very small, ring of head formed, so not lacing really. This is pretty lightly carbonated.

S: I get whiffs of espresso, roasted malt, and hints of dark chochlate, also quite a bit of smoke.

T: Roasted coffee, smoked BBQ mesquite, hints of mild dark chocolate.

M: Light mouth, very lightly carbonated, and slightly astringent.

O: Alright, but it misses the mark for me for a Imperisal stout. The flavors are a bit off for my tastes, and considering it was made with the most expensive coffee in the world, that flavors comes off bitter, burnt, and smoked. Wasn't crazy the first time I had it, but that was a while ago, and my palate has changed, so I gave this another try. 2nd time on this one, not any better. Trying to find something I like from Mikkeller, but maybe their just not for me.

04-21-2011 00:29:23 | More by Retsinis
harrymel

Washington

3.13/5  rDev -27.5%

Thanks for UMNBeerhunter for this extra, cheers Joe!

A: Pours a dark, nearly black ale with little head formation. Medium sheet of light mocha, fine bubble sheet on surface. Spider web lacing.

S: Plenty of coffee as anticipated. The beer offers up a high astringency in the coffee, but then subsequently opens up to reveal the malts and tones I typically die for. Amazingly subdued by the coffee. As it warms, the beer becomes more open and enjoyable.

T: The coffee again dominates the beer. If I were interested in the idea that coffee should be the highlight of a beer, I would likely enjoy this, here, no. Slight oaty, malty beer with hints of resiny hops.

M: Thick, and oatmeal engrained. Sticks to my teeth and relays a film on the tongue which does not disappear.

D: This beer is good for one taste.

03-07-2011 21:10:16 | More by harrymel
donkeyrunner

3.23/5  rDev -25.2%

I can't believe I'm drinking poop.

Thick, syrupy dark brown pour. Sits opaque black in my glass. 2 finger dark tan head. Archipelago of retention wraps around my glass and leaves a few lacey marks. Looks like a big, dark, bad-ass beer.

Smell is awesome. Molasses, musky spiced rum, raisins and figs and lots and lots of roast malt. Smells like a kitten puncher.

Tastes...odd. A very dark, earthy...something. Honestly it taste like coal with an acrid, drying fade. It's just not very good. It has the sharp coffee bitterness down pat but lacks any balance to take away from such harshness.

I'm not a fan and this is coming from me, a big fan of poo.

07-12-2010 23:55:55 | More by donkeyrunner

02-10-2013 15:10:13 | More by bdonley5
Ready4aHeady

3.28/5  rDev -24.1%

Tulip glass from bottle, purchased early 2014

A: Pitch black, thin tan head, lacing on glass

S: Unsweetened chocolate, faint coffee and vanilla, some dark fruit

T: Flavors of bitter chocolate, coffee, and raisins; gets sweeter on the finish.

M: Fairly thin, smooth but not creamy.

O: A very tasty stout, complex, more bitter than sweet. I prefer a little sweeter and creamier but definitely worth drinking.

08-13-2014 01:52:13 | More by Ready4aHeady
TurdFurgison

3.35/5  rDev -22.5%

550mL bottle purchased for about $14-15 in Columus several months ago. , milk chocolate colored foam. The beer is black with dark chocolate sides. The smell is strong coffee (apparently coffee beans that have already been digested by civet cats) and roiasted malts. The beer tastes strongly of coffee beans in a nice sweetly malted web. The body is fuller than average but not as smooth as other oatmeal stouts. Overall a great beer but not worth its price point. One and done, cannot afford to drink this again.

06-21-2009 03:52:18 | More by TurdFurgison
Luk13

Quebec (Canada)

3.4/5  rDev -21.3%

Appearance is what you expect of such a highly rated imperial stout; pitch black with a thick foamy tan head and heavy lacing. In the aroma, we get a lot of hop freshness, freshly ground coffee beans, some milk-stout like lactic acidity and vanilla sweetness and a bit of spice (maybe fresh ginger). Taste comes in vanilla-sweet at first and turns into heavy coffee bitterness that leaves a very dry long lasting finale as a mouthfeel. A bit of extra smokiness and vanilla in the taste with warming alcohol. A little too much coffee flavors and the palate was a little too dry. Very hard to drink.

07-15-2010 18:16:59 | More by Luk13
heygeebee

Australia

3.44/5  rDev -20.4%

From Platinum - aged one year.

A - black n tan, one finger coarse head, fades to somewhat scummy film. Spotty lace

S - muted, coffee as it warms.

T - blast of coffee, roasts, dry. Hollow mid palate. Some bready doughy notes, unusual for style. Also some stale hop notes.

M - lightly carbed, medium weight, not oily. No real booze.

O - not sure if I should have left this in the cellar or not.... Seems a little dull and dry.... Did I mention dry? Not an enjoyable drink.... Sad to say.
Would like to try one fresh to see if it was more balanced. Given overall profile, and also price point I will likely try.

07-30-2013 23:49:39 | More by heygeebee
Tolann

Colorado

3.48/5  rDev -19.4%

I don't buy too many imported beers and tend to favor American micro brews, but I love coffee beers way too much to ever pass this up!

A - Black! very dark! thin roasted head that evenly floats on top. Lacing wants to cling tightly to the glass. Gorgeous!

S - cold press coffee with a little spice and some chocolate. Just enough sweetness that it's not too roasted/dry smelling and it's in no way hidden. A bit boozy.

T - Little bit like a milk stout. Big time Imperial Stout. Still boozy. Not as much coffee as I'd hope.

M - creamy, medium-heavy mouthfeel. bit of alcohol blows off on your breath. Heat sits on your tongue.

o -It's a bit more alcohol hot than I'd prefer, but I bet it would become awesome with some age. I still feel like I missed out on some coffee characteristics. drink this one warmer than colder. Not bad at all, but where's the rest of the coffee?

did I get the same beer everyone else here reviewed? I feel ripped off.

09-11-2011 05:02:16 | More by Tolann
StoryOfTheGhost

3.48/5  rDev -19.4%

A- Black, flat, dark copper head, quickly dissipates leaving no trace

S- Coffee. Not very complex. I can smell a bit of the maltiness and some booze, but predominantly coffee

T- Coffee. Different than most coffee forward stouts. This is not a sweet coffee, and it is not coffee+dark chocolate, it is just coffee with roasted malts up front. The coffee flavor did not work for me on this one. It left a bit of a metallic taste in the mouth, and there was no real complexity to it.

M- Dark, chewy, viscous, little carbonation, alcohol feel- exactly what you would expect and want from the style

O- I always take value into account when rating overall- and this beer is just not a good buy for the price. It is OK, definitely not a bad beer, but not one that I will be revisiting. I like Mikkeller a lot, but this is not one of their best offerings

01-15-2012 10:29:46 | More by StoryOfTheGhost