Beer Geek Brunch Weasel - Mikkeller ApS

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.90% ABV

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.

Imperial oatmeal stout brewed with coffee. Ingredients: Water, malts, hops, yeast and Vietnamese ca phe chon coffee.

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 01-02-2009)

3.05/5  rDev -29.4%

500ml bottle into my Kate snifter.

A - Inky black, with a finger of dense, mocha-colored head. Solid retention and spectacular lacing.

S - Anise, dark chocolate, and burnt sugar. An unpleasant acrid note floats around. Surprisingly, little to no coffee aroma at all.

T - Dark chocolate, fudge brownie, and lots of hoppy bitterness. Maybe a hint of coffee in the finish, but definitely not much. Underwhelming. Wondering if I got an older bottle, but hard to tell with no dating.

M - Thick and creamy, with slightly-too-aggressive carbonation which gives it kind of a sharp bite. It smooths out as it warms up.

O - I've been waiting to try this one after hearing great things and liking the regular Brunch. It was disappointing to say the least, especially since I love the particular brand of coffee in this one. I'm left wondering if it's just a bad or old bottle, so I'll give it another shot down the road when I can get it from somewhere that has a high turnover to ensure freshness.

3.05/5  rDev -29.4%

Had this twice now, so time for a review. This bottle, as the last was shared with me (thanks skuter) at a tasting.

Poured from the 355ml bottle into a Bruery tulip glass.

A: The beer pours a near black, with a dark brown hue. A very small, ring of head formed, so not lacing really. This is pretty lightly carbonated.

S: I get whiffs of espresso, roasted malt, and hints of dark chochlate, also quite a bit of smoke.

T: Roasted coffee, smoked BBQ mesquite, hints of mild dark chocolate.

M: Light mouth, very lightly carbonated, and slightly astringent.

O: Alright, but it misses the mark for me for a Imperisal stout. The flavors are a bit off for my tastes, and considering it was made with the most expensive coffee in the world, that flavors comes off bitter, burnt, and smoked. Wasn't crazy the first time I had it, but that was a while ago, and my palate has changed, so I gave this another try. 2nd time on this one, not any better. Trying to find something I like from Mikkeller, but maybe their just not for me.

3.13/5  rDev -27.5%

Thanks for UMNBeerhunter for this extra, cheers Joe!

A: Pours a dark, nearly black ale with little head formation. Medium sheet of light mocha, fine bubble sheet on surface. Spider web lacing.

S: Plenty of coffee as anticipated. The beer offers up a high astringency in the coffee, but then subsequently opens up to reveal the malts and tones I typically die for. Amazingly subdued by the coffee. As it warms, the beer becomes more open and enjoyable.

T: The coffee again dominates the beer. If I were interested in the idea that coffee should be the highlight of a beer, I would likely enjoy this, here, no. Slight oaty, malty beer with hints of resiny hops.

M: Thick, and oatmeal engrained. Sticks to my teeth and relays a film on the tongue which does not disappear.

D: This beer is good for one taste.

3.23/5  rDev -25.2%

I can't believe I'm drinking poop.

Thick, syrupy dark brown pour. Sits opaque black in my glass. 2 finger dark tan head. Archipelago of retention wraps around my glass and leaves a few lacey marks. Looks like a big, dark, bad-ass beer.

Smell is awesome. Molasses, musky spiced rum, raisins and figs and lots and lots of roast malt. Smells like a kitten puncher.

Tastes...odd. A very dark, earthy...something. Honestly it taste like coal with an acrid, drying fade. It's just not very good. It has the sharp coffee bitterness down pat but lacks any balance to take away from such harshness.

I'm not a fan and this is coming from me, a big fan of poo.

3.24/5  rDev -25%