Beer Geek Brunch Weasel - Mikkeller ApS

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.90% ABV

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.

Imperial oatmeal stout brewed with coffee. Ingredients: Water, malts, hops, yeast and Vietnamese ca phe chon coffee.

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 01-02-2009)
3.6/5  rDev -16.7%

Pours a gorgeous pitch black in my duvel tulip, with a thick creamy two plus fingers of espresso colored foam. The head holds on through have the beer and leaves thick spider webs of lace. Truly a beautiful looking forward. The nose brings notes of dark roasted malt, earthy bitter chocolate, freshly ground mocha java finishing with a touch of forest floor and campfire. The taste right away reminds me of a borderline rauchbier, heavy on the roasty notes which i perceive more as smoke. Chewy and thick with light carbonation, the coffee acidity and slight hop bitterness pulls this beer in balance. A very well made and sexy beer - i have a problem with the heavy roast making it hard to taste any of the flavors, though the coffee peaks through along with dark red fruits.

Update just had this beer from the same batch as my previous review (which i apparently wrote drunk based on the non sensical beginning). Still picked up the roasty/smoky note as the most prominent taste and the dar fruits have faded but the beer seemed to be better balanced. The chocolate was lighter and the coffee dropped out, but this still is a very tasty stout and i would lift my taste score to a 4 with the others remaining the same.

Trilogy31, Jul 20, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +10%

What a great beer. I've had this one at least a year and a half--beyond that, I don't know when it was bottled.

Appearance: Pours not quite pitch black, but the color of extremely dark chocolate, with a little less than a finger of head that turns into a small ring of extremely crisp, fine, tiny bubbles around the edge of the glass. Little lacing, but the glass looks very sticky.

Smell: Amazing--almost smells like a barrel-aged beer. Some roasted malts, thick chocolate and molasses notes stand out.

Taste: Heavy on molasses, brown sugar, and chocolate notes, with the coffee notes more understated. Very little bitterness--which is why the coffee is so hard to taste at first.

Mouthfeel: Perfect--numerous fine, crisp bubbles. I have nothing to complain about--and that's hard to do in the mouthfeel category.

Drinkability: a heavy brew, but the quality and lack of alcohol heat make it highly drinkable. nicely done.

afausser, Jul 16, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm a total sucker for a stout that looks like this: sure, the impossibly deep black color, but it's the chocolaty/mocha brown head that takes it. Unfortunately the head doesn't last very long, but at 10.9%, it can't be expected to hold on very long. But just swirl it and it comes back to life awhile. Very nice.

Oooh, mama...the aroma is a killer, in the best way. Fans of great coffee will never be able to get their noses out of this. I can't. I've never had Civet Coffee (does that still qualify as vegan?), but I want to try it now. The coffee character has a smooth, silky, mellowed but entirely assertive tone. And, unlike some coffee stouts, the coffee doesn't overwhelm. There's also plenty of graham cracker sweetness, gooey/milky fudge, a polite but present kiss of hops, deep and rich caramel/toffee tones...oh hell yeah. And this is only the aroma. Please don't let it fall flat on the tongue...

A sip of B.G.B.W. begins with coffee, hella-roasty and totally delicious roasty, and moves into subtle grassy hop bitterness, super-smooth caramel-filled chocolate candy sweetness, a twist of toffee, a dark berry-like bittersweetness, like berries just a bit too young to be picked and eaten... then it's back to coffee. And it's the coffee flavor that rides out in one extremely long finish. I might have expected a more complex stout, but no matter. This is incredibly good. As for the 10.9% alcohol? Hardly noticed it was there, although it gradually came through as the beer warmed. I usually like a bit of alcohol warmth in bigger beers, but the controlled alcohol here is very much appreciated, bringing out the real highlight flavors to greater relief. I'll say it's a lot like coffee in that it smells better than it tastes, but in this beer's case, there's not as much gap between smell and flavor. Almost a "5"...

Had it been a bit thicker in body, I'd be tempted to bump up the taste score to a perfect "5"...as with big stouts, feel and taste are nearly inseparable. At first I thought it seemed watery, but after a few sips I came to like the ultra-silky, super-smooth glide that it provides, which works very well with the character of the kind of coffee used here. So the texture turns out to be complementary to the flavor, just not what I expected.

Even forgetting the novelty aspect of the Civet Coffee and how it got its name, this is one seriously terrific stout. Well worth the money, and I don't even care that they may have used the synthetic/replicated Vietnamese version of real "from the butt" Civet Coffee. Because this rules, no matter which way you slice it.

Metalmonk, Jul 15, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

800th review so picked something special from the fridge. Picked this up in Indiana during the last trip home. Poured from a 16.9 oz bottle into a pint glass. No bottling info so don't know when it was bottled but I've had in cellar since December. Pitch black in color. It had a good sized head for a stout that settled into a thin collar and some central wisps fed by some carb streams. Little bit of slow sliding lace with a tiny bit sticking.

The aroma was exceptional even though a tad boozy. Nice roasted coffee and chocolate malts leading the way. Not getting much of the base oatmeal though. Taste is also really good with the sweet malt leading the way with slight coffee bitter hitting towards the middle. Those weasels did a good job of getting the bitter out of there. Told the wife the story behind the weasel's and the beans out of the poop. She was half gagging and half gotta try that to see what the hype is. She's a trooper though as she did try it and liked it. Mouthfeel was full and chewy with sweet aftertaste.

Overall, a really great beer that is worthy of most of the hype. Even after 7 months of aging plus who knows how long ago it was bottled, it was still quite boozy so that stopped it from really nailing it for me. Still highly recommend. Not avail here in TX - see above. Rotation - one is enough for me although I would try once on tap and maybe a well aged bottle. [N;O]

TexIndy, Jul 13, 2011
3.93/5  rDev -9%

Pours black with medium brown head. Good initial head that lingers around the edges. Some lacing from the initial pour.

Smell is bitter roasted malts and coffee, a little semi-sweet milk and bitter chocolate. Not a very strong aroma.

Slightly sweet upfront--brown sugar and a little coffee bitterness. Coffee comes in more during the middle. Finish has more coffee bitterness with some molasses sweetness. A very different coffee flavor than other stouts.

Full bodied, creamy and smooth. Low carbonation. Somewhat velvety.

Good sweet and bitter balance with a really unique coffee flavor. Enjoyable but too pricey.

3/10/2011

sidetracked, Jul 04, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is much like the regular Beer Geek Breakfast.'I really couldn't find too much of a difference really. The beer poured out as dark black color with a great big brown head on it. The smell is full of coffee and chocolate. The taste of the beer is very rich, highly roasted and creamy. The mouthfeel is thick and lightly carbonated. Overall the beer is very good, would like to have again but it is a little pricy so it may be a while before it comes my way again.

Knapp85, Jul 03, 2011
4.72/5  rDev +9.3%

This exceptional beer is really fantastic. The deep as midnight with a thick light brown head leaving a thin mustache on my lips. A nose full of caramel, chocolate, and cappucino. The thickness and smoothness in the mouth give way to a deep cappuccino taste with a hint of bitterness at the finish.

angelogarcia3, Jul 02, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +3%

Pours deep black, nearly impenetrable, with dense three fingers worth of head that settles to a very thick cap. The lacing is impressive, leaving ring after ring behind.

Smell; dark chocolate and coffee are very evident, as well as some hints of a port like fruitiness and alcohol.

Taste; starts off with bittersweet chocolate and black cherries, which quickly fade to espresso and and dark bread. There's an almost smokey flavor through the middle, and the alcohol that was present in the nose is barely detectable in the flavor. Between the coffee, dark bread and smokey flavors this comes off as one of the most savory beers I've had in a long time.

Mouthfeel is full bodied, bordering on luscious, with a thick, smooth carbonation.

I'm always a bit apprehensive when it comes to some of the more hyped beers, but this one completely lived up to it.

RedHaze, Jun 25, 2011
3.98/5  rDev -7.9%

Been waiting for a special occasion to try this one, as I love big coffee stouts, and I've heard good things. Not a special occasion, but a cool summer evening the day after the solstice seems worth a heavy coffee pick-me-up. On to the beer.

Pours thick and dark dark brown going into the glass, totally black once it's settled. Massive cascading fluffy foamy (running out of adjectives) mocha-colored head that takes a long, long time to recede, and leaves a ton of lacing. Wow.

Smells delicious. Warm chocolate malts, the full rich smell of oats, with the nicely roasted coffee front and center. This is a feast for the nose, reminiscent of Founders Breakfast Stout. A wonderful blend of dark roasted malts, oats, and coffee. I do pick up a slight alcohol bite.

Comes on much more bitter in the flavor than I expected. I get the dark roasted malts, and some coffee flavor, but not as much of either of those as I'd like. The oats are there, again providing a fullness that gives the beer more presence. But the dominant flavor is the bitterness. Whether from the coffee, hops, or dark roasted malts, I can't quite tell, but regardless, it's too much of it. It overpowers the other flavors, which I think would otherwise pull together really nicely. Finish is long, slow, and bitter.

Mouthfeel is excellent. Thick and heavy, with the light fluffy chewiness brought by the oats. Medium-low carbonation; would probably be better with a bit more to mix things up and cut the bitterness. Sticks in the mouth, without feeling syrupy.

This beer met my hopes in all ways but one. It looks, smells, and feels great, but that bitterness that dominates the flavor really takes it down a notch. I just can't get through it to the rest of the deliciousness that's hiding back there.

zeledonia, Jun 23, 2011
2.48/5  rDev -42.6%

I regret not having made a record of the bottling that was tasted, here, but alas... this is an unappetizing batch of Weasel.

The pour looks great, a deep jet black with a thin head. But right away on the nose there's problems. There's a hint, a whisper of of awesome coffee and chocolate roast that just gets overwhelmed by hot, spicy phenols.

On the palate the phenolic spice overload continues, causing havoc with what are clearly a solid recipe and excellent use of coffee in the background. Harshening the mix, the phenols play to the already tannic qualities this has an unpleasant, acrid finish.

The body hangs in there, a lush smoothness keeps drawing me back... I know there's a version of this beer that's good. Alas, this bottle is not it.

errantnight, Jun 22, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A pint shared with Klym over a special farewell session.

"There's a secret ingredient in this beer, I won't say what it is"

*a few tastes*

"It's got to be some coffee"

*laughs*

"Dude, is this that cat @$%^ coffee?"

A: A dark core of a stout that gives way to frothy oatmeal suds, a solid 1 finger head comes and goes with a conservative pour. Brown bubbles linger for a while before finding a home on the edges of the glass. Lonely patches of brown bubbles remain in the middle of the beer for minutes after pouring. A very coffee looking beer, quintessential coffee aesthetics.

S: I can only describe the smell of this beer as "diaper with an imperial hand of anise". The smell is too sweet to really say "licorice", as the anise really runs deep in the nose. A light ash tray/tobacco lets its presence be known. The smell is so confusingly complex, is this a fruit that I have never tried? I feel like someone in some country that I am not familiar with is consuming some dark berry that is exactly this smell. the lightest creamed coffee peaks its shy head in the finish. A palette cleansing nose.

T: Coffee berry (?). a bright sweet offering of coffee that comes in form of a berry sweetness that makes you rethink the very nature of the coffee bean. A strong acidity drives the beer to your stomach, but a hybrid sense of nuttyness/roastyness that never seems to go one way or another lingers. What the heck at the earthy appearance of fancy morels.This beer grows on me with light speed. So mysteriously hazelnutty/creamy/truffles/pecan/espresso. Walnuts in the aftertaste. The acidity makes me believe this could be a laxative. The best laxative ever.

M: Moderate mouth feel that allows the coffee aspects shine. Super toned down bubbles that almost imply a colder temperature (?). I know it sounds weird, but I get the sense of chilled coffee every time I take a sip. The slow breakdown of slow released carbonation gives this phantom sensation of coldness. I'm pretty sure this beer is illegal in some states.

O: This reminds me of when I would try avocados as a kid, and I swore I'd never eat them. A few years later and I eat guacamole by the orchard. I want to grow up with this beer. I feel like this beer has whispered me a secret that I am yet to understand. An enigma in a glass. I am pretty sure those cats are incapable of metabolizing pure knowledge. I don't even care if the berries were fully cleaned, this is astoundingly unique.

Cavery, Jun 22, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +13%

Shared with Cavery. Poured into an oversize wine glass.

A: Deep black with a thin tan head that eventually leaves a small tan ring around the top of the glass. Reminds me very much of the visual of Speedway Stout.

S: Funky. I felt nervous after I read the side of the bottle right before drinking it. I've never had the coffee so I didn't know what to expect. Honestly it smelled enticing, this seems awfully different. High quality coffee, chocolate, spices, and honestly a little bit of shit in the nose (not just from expectation, I believe). Makes me excited for the taste.

T: Hot damn, that is an amazing beer. Punches you with a mysterious funk that blooms out into a delicious coffee, chocolate, coconut flow that rolls out into your mouth then curls back up slow mo back into the original punch of funk, mellowing out with a mix of all of the flavors. The taste is amazing-- my expectations and fears are floored.

M: Wonderfully creamy, fits the taste profile awesomely, especially helps bring up the coconut sense that comes in the mouth.

O: This is maybe the most underrated beer I've ever encountered. The fact that I never see this thrown down in trades or talked about or in the top 100 list all attest to that fact. I applaud mikkeller for the bold experiment and the spectacular result. It's pretty rare that I seek out a beer soon after I have it but I'll be securing more bottles of this when I can.

Klym, Jun 22, 2011
4.68/5  rDev +8.3%

Pours out a pitch black, thick as oil, with super brown dark rich head, that dissipitates into a ring of brown lace around the outskirts of the liquid. This is what an Imperial Stout should look like.

Huge rich coffee, with hints of tobacco, licorice, really dark cocoa chocolate. An aroma of slight alcohol creeps through, but the intense aromas of coffee keep it in line.

Flavour is really rich cocoa chocolate with hints of caramel, that give way to big, fresh, and sweet coffee. A slight bitterness from the coffee comes through, as if it was freshly perculated. The front of the mouth has a hint of cloying alcohol sweetness, but it fades off very quickly.

You can't expect much more from an Imperial Stout. It is huge, roasty, sweet, desserty, delicious. It is only second to Beer Geek Breakfast in my book, but damn, those two are a cut above the rest. So easy to drink aswell.

Lukie, Jun 16, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Bavarian Lodge.

A- Thick darkness. 1 finger foam with light lacing. mocha head

S- heavy coffee, bitter chocolate, sweet dark malts

T- sweeter than I expected with perfect coffee taste. Get a decent amount of mint in the middle. Nice bitter chocolate and pine hops at the finish.

M- silky smooth and chewy. goes down very easily.

O- One of the better stouts I have ever had. Will seek this out at Binny's if I can find it. Hoping this stays on tap for a few days.

kawilliams81, Jun 10, 2011
4.3/5  rDev -0.5%

A- Very similar pour to the others I've had in this series. Tar black body, rich thick super dark brown head. Retention is a little better in this one and perhaps the lacing as well, which is impressive given the abv is higher. No cap here though.

S- I wish I could of did this one side by side with it's smaller sister because it sure reminds me of it. Maybe even more chocolate on the nose, definitely picking up some alcohol. Perhaps the coffee notes are more astringent, same underlying sweetness.

T- Oh yeah, that's good! Much bigger flavors in the weasel. More pronounced coffee taste right from the hop, rich malt, dark bitter chocolate, molasses and some dark fruit. The coffee hangs around in the mouth forever.

M - Body feels much fuller with that same creamy velvety feel. This dries the mouth, partially from the alcohol and I think the coffee bitterness has a role in this as well or gives of that impression at least.

O- Alcohol is masked very well, drink this one slowly to really get everything it has to offer. As I poured the last eighth of the bottle some jelly like sludge starts plopping in my glass, given the nature of the coffee beans this was a little more than off putting. I couldn't finish the last little bit. Oh well, the majority of this was killer!!

Dawkfan, Jun 09, 2011
3.85/5  rDev -10.9%

Thanks to Jason for including this one in a recent box. Not a huge coffee stout fan, but I have been surprised on occasion. Poured thick and black and oily with minimal head on top. Aromas of rich, strong coffee and dark chocolate. On the palate, this one is oily and slightly thin with flavors of coffee, roasted malt and chocolate.

emmasdad, Jun 01, 2011
3.73/5  rDev -13.7%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a Darkness snifter.

A- Two finger dark brown mocha head, dissipates quickly moderate lacing, very dark thick motor oil body, the appearance is very intriguing.
S- Very roasty, hints of smoke, vanilla, alcohol is present in the smell, very mild bitter sourness to it.
T- Very big and complex tasting beer, roasted coffee notes, oats, chocolate, bitterness, caramel, toffee, malts are present as well. A lot going on in this beer.
M- Big mouth feel, very sticky, alcohol is present.
O- Very interesting brew, not one of my favorites but a solid stout, that has a lot going on in a good way, a nice stout to sip on while conversing with fellow beer lovers.

Chriscrundwell12, May 28, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a ccb snifter. Jet black with no head and a thin ring around the glass. Aroma of coffee and chocolate, rich chocolate. Taste follows the nose, chocolate cake or chocolate fudge. Very chewy. Great beer, there is a lot going on, very different from other coffee stouts and I like it.

jcartamdg, May 26, 2011
4.13/5  rDev -4.4%

Hooray! Weasels finally get to do their bit for the betterment of beer. 500ml bottle best before 011212

Pitch black with the darkest head ever. Seriously ever! Thick without looking too viscous. Had to stop pouring part way through as the head was about to start spilling out. That and the sediment was getting a bit gluggy as I slowly tried to empty the bottle.
Head was fluffy and held together valiantly for such a high abv. Eventually setting to a thin dark lace leaving traces of its presence on the glass.

Aroma hints at all the individual ingredients listed on the bottle. Not the I can read it mind you. Mellow coffee combines with vanilla and an oak and alcohol character. Very soothing on a cold autumn night.

All the exotic ingredients seem to take a back seat and allow the base stout to shine most in the taste. Coffee bean and dark roasted malt certainly contribute. Not a huge impression from the alcohol but you wouldn't mistake this for your average stout. Dryness comes through in the finish but it contrasts to the huge amount of residual sugar.

Quite an interesting beer but not one I would consider as a regular. Big, complex and tasty for sure.

joecast, May 25, 2011
4.7/5  rDev +8.8%

Beautiful stout with a great coffee sense, and an enormous sense of flavorful balance.

Presentation: 500 ml brown capped bottle. Simple front label design with Mikkeller brown vertical stripes and a dark background highlighting the name of the brewery and brew with a small icon of the weasel. Includes a small paragraph noting the intent, and main characteristics. Shows 10.9 Alc. by Vol. Served into a snifter.

A - Black pour, good brown creamy head, fair retention and some solid strokes of lace as it goes down.

S - Roasted nose, intriguing coffee sense to it with a tamed sour hint and a fruity touch leading to a dash of chocolate.

T - Here is where the brew shines the fullest, what a treat. Like in the Geek Breakfast the taste is beautifully compact and full, long roasted coffee sense. But the coffee lingers with a different sense, even better, it is assertive but rather rich and long, with a fruity note. Roasted malt range with a dash of chocolate is woven with dexterity and supports a nice bitter sense, rather hefty but never overwhelming or competing with the coffee and malt.

M - Fully body with moderate carbonation, very creamy and smooth. Bitterness that while assertive it never takes the full presence and is woven back beautifully in the overall sense of the brew.

D - Beautiful sipper, what a range and delicacy with a beautifully lingering feel in the palate and memory.

Notes: The Beer Geek Breakfast was already quite spectacular but here the brewer manages to even kick it up a notch with an extraordinary coffee edge. Hype aside, it may or may not be due to the civet coffee but the edge, balance and range it provides is something else. Top tier with the best of coffee stouts. Thoughs of Dieu du Ciel's Peche Mortel came to mind as I was sipping this Mikkeller, in particular thinking about brews that got their coffee right and more…
Smuttynose's Imperial Stout, and more so Goose Island's Nightstalker also crossed my mind as I was thinking of the hoppy bitterness here, which was perfect on the Mikkeller with an insinuation of bitterness that always stayed nicely short of these two references but was quite prominently woven with the coffee finish. This is pricey but if one likes good coffee stouts it is money well spent.

Daniellobo, May 19, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +2.5%

500 ml bottle into snifter. Pours black as night with a 1.5 finger dense dark tan head with amazing retention. Some slight glass lacing, and a lacing cap lasts for the entire glass. Aromas of strong coffee, chocolate, caramel, and roasted malt; with a bit of dark fruits and vanilla as well. Some fairly strong and well balanced aromas. Taste of strong dark chocolate, coffee, and roasted malt; with a bit of vanilla and molasses. Some slight bitterness noticed as well on the finish that lingers for a bit with roasted flavors. Some great balance of flavors here. Bitterness and sweetness are well balanced, with sweetness being slightly stronger in flavor. Super smooth and slick body with no alcohol noticed at all except for a very small warming after the finish. Medium-low carbonation and huge full body. Overall a fantastic imperial stout, and my first from Mikkeller.

superspak, May 16, 2011
4.63/5  rDev +7.2%

A - Pours oily and black into my snifter with about half a finger of tan head after an aggressive pour, retention is really excellent and has sticky lacing.

S - Deep roasted malts and sweet chocolate notes, even though it's not barrel aged I get rum and vanilla and raisin notes on a big level. Lots of bittersweet espresso/coffee notes and just a touch of earthy hops as well.

T - This absolutely tastes amazing. Deep roasted malts, bittersweet chocolate and coffee on a big level, sweet vanilla and caramel, earthy hops, molasses, dark fruit - raisins and plums.

M - Perfectly balanced carbonation and full body, smooth, creamy and just slightly dry.

O - Overall this beer is worth every cent! It is an exceptional imperial stout that I will most certainly purchase and share with others in the very near future.

StoneBrewFanatic, May 14, 2011
2.58/5  rDev -40.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle from Best Damn Beer Shop (in Super Jr. Market) San Diego CA

A - Poured a black color with a brown head that leaves lacing behind

S - Isn't all that good expensive weasel poop coffee doesn't smell as good as the cheaper coffee beans used in other beers

T - Much like the nose it tastes like coffee just not good coffee I guess along with a bitter alcoholic finish

M - This beer has a watery body with medium carbonation to it

O - Over the past two years I've actually grown to like most coffee beers so unlike my early coffee beer reviews where I gave so called good beers a bad review this one just tastes bad to me I don't care how much it costs (although I did want to like this because of price) or rare the coffee is much like beer rarer and pricier doesn't always mean better so unless your a beer snob thats also a coffee snob save your cash

armock, May 13, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Pour: Thick , oily black liquid with a frothy and well carbonated dark tan head (2 fingers) that settled down but stayed prevalent throughout it's life.

Nose: Intense roasted coffee, burnt dark malts, chocolate (bitter), slight vanilla, oatmeal and some wood. Really wonderful Kopi Luwak smell.

Taste: A battle between intensely roasted coffee and oatmeal. The chocolate and vanilla come in after the coffee taste mellows out.

Mouthfeel: Perfect carbonation that reminded me of Speedway Stout. Thick from the oats but velvet like and very smooth.

Overall: Really amazing stout. It is the gold standard for me as a coffee stout, better than yeti. I'm curious to see if my BCBCS will be better. Highly recommended.

waltersrj, May 12, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -2.3%

1pt .9oz bottle poured into a New Belgium globe.

A: Motor oil black with a thick brown head. Retention was good. Light lacing.

S: A blend of starchy oats, semi-sweet dark chocolate, and coffee. Faint vanilla and darkfruit in the background. Good, but not quite as assertive as I was expecting it to be.

T: A slight taste of darkfruit esters to kick things off. Quick hit of dark chocolate as well before the coffee begins to dominate. Rich, earthy, nutty coffee tastes. Slightly acidic at times. Oats come out just a bit. Finishes with strong notes of coffee and dark chocolate, as well as a slight hint of woody smoke.

M: Thick, slick, and velvety. Low carbonation.

O: Good, but some of the other big coffee stouts are better. I suspect the beer was not as fresh as it should have been, but I did not see a date marked on the bottle.

Notes: Definitely not your average coffee stout. The coffee taste itself is pretty distinct and unique. The finish was excellent. Just a notch below the likes of Founders Breakfast Stout and Peche Mortel, in my opinion.

ryan1788a5, May 08, 2011