Beer Geek Brunch Weasel - Mikkeller ApS

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.90% ABV

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.

Imperial oatmeal stout brewed with coffee. Ingredients: Water, malts, hops, yeast and Vietnamese ca phe chon coffee.

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 01-02-2009)
thecarster1

4.03/5  rDev -6.7%

a- 500ml bottle poured into a duvel tulip, beautiful syrupy pour, nearly two fingers fades gradually, deep tan brown head.

s- complex roasts here, earthy nose, slightly sweet, obvious coffee - but strong.

t- coffee, earthy, a bit of peat smokiness, a kiss of alcohol, coffee bitterness, slightly sweet. this is an interesting coffee flavor - and i get hints of weasel.

m- thick, syrupy.

d- drinkability is good here, interesting for sure. never had a coffee like this. i would drink this again though.

12-18-2010 21:26:16 | More by thecarster1
BrotherBear

South Carolina

4.6/5  rDev +6.5%

One of the best stouts I have had in quite a while. Pours nicely into the glass with a deep black color and keeps a nice deep british khaki head with tight carbonation bubbles. Immediately you get a nose full of nice deep roasted coffee to wake you up, and then you realize there is a slight sweetness as well. Upon the first taste, BANG!, what flavor. It is very nice and stout without being overwhelming. You get a mouth full of earthy coffee and sweet deep dark chocolate. The beer is chewy but smooth on the palate and finish. Even though it is 10.9 ABV, the alcohol does not overpower the flavor or drinkability. It is not a beer to drink quickly, settle in and prepare yourself to enjoy. Each every sip gets better and better.

12-16-2010 03:15:20 | More by BrotherBear
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Had this at the Old Stone Bridge Pub in Reno. Pricey ($21) but delicious.

Pours a dark black, good beige head. Really, almost perfect. Smell, massive, delectable coffee.

Taste, rich coffee again, low on the acidity but big and bold roasted flavor. Chocolate to lesser degree to back it up. An even lesser degree of vanilla. Never is there an alcohol burn, so while I downgraded the drinkability because of the high price, it was offset somewhat by the amazing enjoyment of this sipper.

Good thing I didn't read about the way they make this beer until I was 4/5s done with the bottle. They collect the turds from a weasel that eats the coffee beans? What? Ah well, it works, because this is a damn good beer.

12-15-2010 17:32:49 | More by Beerandraiderfan
oglmcdgl

4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

On tap at capones black friday event.

A- comes to me with a good finger of creamy head that settles in time to leave a thickish ring that stay for the duration. Color.... there is nothing to say about it but black all day.

S- the darkest of the dark roasted malts, espresso, and loads 96% dark chocolate. Hints of booze and anise.

T- wow! right out of the gate this is an explosion of dark roasted malts and coffee, with tons of bakers chocolate, molasses, burnt brown sugar, postum. The layer upon layer of sweet and roast work beautifully together where alone would be just too much.

M- on the way to full bodied but not a chewy mess. Slow creeper carb that builds to a good clip and really keeps things interesting.

D- this is so much better then the breakfast and one hell of an overall tasty stout. the chocolate and coffee in this brew kill it, in a good way. Ill be looking for this on draft again thats for sure.

12-14-2010 20:21:57 | More by oglmcdgl
perrymarcus

3.63/5  rDev -16%

bomber served in a snifter glass.

pours a thick, motor-oil black with a solid mocha-toned finger of creamy head; lasting retention and beautiful walls of lacing. pretty much the archetype of an imperial stout, presentation-wise. very impressive.

nice, flavorful nose. strong notes of roasted malts, molasses, coffee, and some bitter chocolate. not the best i've ever smelled, but very good.

wow, taste takes a disappointing step back. flavorful, mostly following the aroma, but much too bitter for my liking. improves some as it warms but never achieves top-notch status.

rich, creamy, full-bodied mouthfeel moutfeel with medium-low carbonation. i don't find this offering to be very drinkable at all. real roller-coaster of a beer for me, with scores all over the map. ultimately, i just feel there are better imperial stouts out there, and many that are less costly. maybe the civet shit coffee is lost on me...

12-14-2010 03:12:26 | More by perrymarcus
wcudwight

Pitch black with a 1/2" chocolate colored head. Smells of dark chocolate, roasted coffee beans and hints of alcohol. The coffee is not as strong in the nose as I expected. Rich roasted flavors, dark chocolate, dark fruits (plums, cherries, raisins), sweet, coffee and a hint of a spicy hoppiness. I love coffee beers and I expected this to be a great one. Given that the coffee beans come from cat poop and all. But the coffee flavors in this beer are much more subdued than I anticipated. Lesson learned: Coffee beans that come from a cat's rectum are no better in beer than any other coffee beans. All said and done it is a good beer.
Mouthfeel is silky smooth. It's a very solid stout, it just isn't the coffee stout that I was expecting, but I wouldn't hesistate to drink it again.

12-05-2010 03:03:30 | More by wcudwight
siradmiralnelson

Iowa

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from bottle into Tulip.

A. Poured a 2 finger dark tan head. Really thick lacing left. Very good head retention. Color is pitch black.

S. Smells like a world class Imperial Stout. Coffee, chocolate, roasted malt, chocolate malt. Nice roasty aromas balanced against an almost sweet milk chocolate smell. Some alcohol notes. Really nice sweet smell as compared to some coffee stouts that smell bitter. Overall this smells like a really great Coffee stout.

T. Taste is pretty amazing as well. Lots of flavors going on with this one. Starts with the sweet chocolate flavors. Finishes with a nice blast of cofeee. Has a lingering sweetness. Pretty complex array of flavors on the tongue.

M. Full bodied. Not really thick, but definitely full bodied. Medium/low carbonation. Lingering sweetness.

D. This is a big beer and you can smell and taste the alcohol just a bit. Overall this is a pretty amazing Imperial Stout. I would say that this is up there with one of my favorite Coffee Imperial Stouts. I was expecting a lot out of this beer and it delivered.

12-03-2010 01:09:00 | More by siradmiralnelson
biglite351

3.63/5  rDev -16%

A - pure black with a tall dark brown creamy head that leaves just a touch of lace.

S - strong roasted malts and roasted coffee. A bit of chocolate and something that I can only describe as black olives. Minor hop bitterness after time.

T - hop bitterness is much stronger in the flavor. Bitter coffee with chocolate and malts.

M - medium coating but no real tingles, just a little on the front of the tongue over time.

D - a bit too bitter for a regular brew.

12-01-2010 22:41:17 | More by biglite351
Cmack15

4.22/5  rDev -2.3%

Wow. This beer distinctly tastes different from the beer geek breakfast. I wasn't sure how much flavor the weasel coffee would have on the beer but it does. Mikkeller makes awesome beers and thats all there is to it. Are they expensive yes but they are also damn good.

11-30-2010 23:00:03 | More by Cmack15
BARFLYB

4.15/5  rDev -3.9%

Finally, I get my hands on the weasel courtesy of Capone's on tap for black friday shinanigans.

Weasel came to me looking dark as sin, a black sky of mo darker, black, in a word. A nice sparse cap of tan hazy brown foam up above leaving small notches on the way down. A nice looking stout. Smells include that expensive coffee they used which has a unique scent to it. strays off the beaten path. Under that a heaping of roasted malt, chocolate, and some nuts with vanilla. The coffee is the main feature here and while the method of production is awkward (weasel crapped coffee beans) it's not off putting and I dig the coffee backed by sweet vanilla and alot of roast and nuts. This is tasty beer and I wish I tried it sooner. Feel is medium plus with a build and a smooth backlash, nothing obtrusive here, semi bitter end with no alcohol, just roast. I could drink a crapton of this stuff, top notch.

11-30-2010 00:57:25 | More by BARFLYB
WanderingFool

4.18/5  rDev -3.2%

Beer Geek Brunch Weasel pours pitch black into the glass with a medium sized creamy tan head on top. The foam dissolves slowly and coats the glass with a sheet of lace as it fades.

The aroma has rich notes of roasted malt, licorice, chocolate and coffee. I was looking for more coffee in the nose, but it just wasn't there.

Each sip of this full bodied beer is creamy, velvet smooth, with a moderate carbonated fizz. The flavor is very rich. Roasted malt leads the way, followed by chocolate, molasses and coffee. The coffee isn't as strong as I thought it might be. Towards the end there's an interesting spicy flavor of anise and vanilla. It finishes slightly tart with the spicy flavor lingering on the palate when gone.

This is a very tasty, easy drinking imperial stout. It hides it's nearly 11% abv well. Definitely a different taste than your typical impy stout. The flavor reminded me a little bit of a Christmas cookie.

11-28-2010 23:33:48 | More by WanderingFool
chalsk

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours a black color with a caramel colored head. Has an aroma of roast, vanilla, chocolate, and soy. Has a sweet roasty taste with some coffee bitters on the back end and a nice velvety chocolate finish. A little coffee spice that lingers. Creamy and smooth. Very good.

11-26-2010 02:02:43 | More by chalsk
Lldeegan

Louisiana

4.78/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours out thick and black with a small, light mocha colored head.
Dark coffee aroma, big malt presence, some wood notes, vanilla and dark fruit.
The taste is sweet and dark malt, with rich coffee flavors throughout and a bitter finish. Notes of dark, semi-sweet chocolate, espresso and vanilla and wood are all there supporting the flavors.
This is a full-bodied beer, rich with light carbonation, which lends to it not being too heavy to drink. Sticky on the palate and not too oily of a mouthfeel.
Maybe it's the fact that I know its made with these special coffee beans, but I really liked this beer. I love the coffee element in stouts and this is my new favorite. It's a bit expensive at around $13 for a bottle, but absolutely worth it if you want to splurge, like coffee beers, or just want to be able to say you drank weasel poop. All good reasons in my mind.

11-24-2010 09:51:37 | More by Lldeegan
eric5bellies

Australia

4.4/5  rDev +1.9%

Drank from my Bomardier Conic Pint glass.

A - Pours a very deep ebony colour with a very tanned head that does retain well and laces the glass.

S - Plenty of malt and cocoa with hints of toffee.

T - Heaps of cocoa and some burnt caramel, in the middle the cofffe takes over and finishes with a little licorice.

M - Not quite full bodied with low carbonation but very smooth.

D - A very good example of the style and my favourite Mikkeller brew to date.

11-19-2010 13:49:17 | More by eric5bellies
SpdKilz

3.98/5  rDev -7.9%

500ml served into a Bruery Tulip.

Appearance - Pours into my Bruery Tulip with a rather opaque, black color. A little over a finger of dark tan/mocha colored head is achieved with a moderate to strong pour that dissipates at a medium pace, leaving ever so slight lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell - Earthy, bittersweet cocoa, less than expected coffee, light vanilla and molasses.

Taste - Interesting. This is a taste I can honestly say I have not really experienced. After sitting here for a few minutes I'm trying to put my finger on the overwhelming flavor and I really do think it is molasses. A heavy, sticky, molasses flavor is the most prevalent. Almost cloyingly so. Once this overbearing flavor subdues there is smoke, vanilla, and coffee. But damn, this is quite a bit sweeter than I expected. The more it warms up, the more black licorice I taste as well. I don't - not really what I expected and just overly cloying in every way.

Mouthfeel - Medium to full bodied, lower carbonation. Actually quite nice.

Drinkability - This is a sipper - I need to have some tart cheese and crackers with this. Again, not what I was expecting. Honestly, would not pick up another in the future.

11-18-2010 03:55:25 | More by SpdKilz
capybara

4.88/5  rDev +13%

This is the beer of my dreams.

Although I am a man who loves imperial stouts, i feel this beer can be respected by all beer enthusiasts, even if you do not prefer the dark stuff.

First I poured half of this beer into some sort of wine style glass. Perhaps to cold when i first poured it, still gave off full aromas of dark rich malt, coffee, and vanilla. As i poured it, it filled the glass with a thick motor oil of pure darkness, and left much residue on the side of the glass. As expected there was little to no carbonation, and i had to try to create a head by pouring it rougher than needed. When there was finally a head of around a fingers thickness I ceased pouring and handed the beer off to my beer drinking partner.

As I took the first full drink, i let it sit in my mouth for a full 5 seconds before swallowing (thats what she said). At first I tasted the wonderful malts, then vanilla, then the taste of coffee slowly creeping it way onto my taste buds. As I am engorged in these flavors a strange sweetness starts pushing its way through. Now all of the full flavors and sweetness are virtually attacking my mouth. As the sip is heavily swallowed due to thickness, something sweet is still left in my mouth. It is maybe a sugary coffee flavor.

As the beer gets warmer it get more complex but holds similar characteristics. Nowhere in the drinking process did i taste the hefty 10.9 percent alcohol. Not even the slightest little bight.

This beer virtually ruined my perception of imperial stouts. I still love other imperial stouts by alesmith, stone, dogfish head, greenflash, and so on, but this by far takes the cake. I will have a hard time purchasing anything but these stouts by Mikkeller.

11-18-2010 03:42:16 | More by capybara
cadaugherty

3.93/5  rDev -9%

Had on tap at Local Option beer geek Thursday event.

This beer is too fresh right now. I feel that my review is a bit tainted since this was the new batch and on tap. It needs age simple as that.

Appearance- Dark black with 1 finger of light brown head that dissipates quickly into a neat little ring.

Aroma and Taste- Coffee, coffee, coffee. Rich and roasty, and a little bit overpowering. Honestly this is very 1-note right now and needs time to mellow out.

Mouthfeel- Thick with good carbonation

Drink- One 8 oz snifter is more than enough.

11-15-2010 18:31:37 | More by cadaugherty
Dreadnaught33

District of Columbia

4.45/5  rDev +3%

A: Awesome tan creamy head with sticky lacing, jet black color.

S: Coffee with something I pin as a tropical flavor? Dark Chocolate sweetness and a definite nuttiness.

T: The chestnut/walnut flavor is certainly there, dark roast, dark chocolate, some coriander like spice and some bitters to finish. Very nice.

M: Very creamy and rolling feel, heavy. Awesome.

D: Very good, not offensive in anyway.

11-15-2010 01:05:35 | More by Dreadnaught33
philbe311

4.6/5  rDev +6.5%

Been eager to try this one for a while... Here we go...

A - One fingers worthy of dense and creamy medium to dark brown colored head is slow to materialize... Minimal retention gives way to a thin yet inviting veil of lace with a collar of medium thickness... Completely opaque jet black color... Uber still with no discernible carbonation...

S - Lightly roasted malts... Some mild milk chocolates... Whipped cream... Caramel... Toffee... Faint hand pressed coffee... Muted soy sauce... Inviting, but not quite what I was expecting... Much sweeter and slightly more subdued than expected with a surprising absence of the overpowering coffee that was anticipating - Not necessarily a bad thing either...

T - Cocoa powder... Touches of sweet caramel... Subdued but assertive espresso... A touch of licorice... A bit of smoke creeps into the palette at finish... Also a touch of satisfying heat as the flavors recede...

M - Medium to full bodied... Sleek and smooth... Just a faint hint of carbonation encounters the tongue... Rich and satisfying... Quite mellow for such an intense offering... So smooth... Worldly and sophisticated...

D - Wonderful execution, depth, and complexity... This one comes at you in layers... It wasn't quite what I was expecting, but none the less this is a world class offering... Stunning display of brewing craftmanship...

11-14-2010 03:47:26 | More by philbe311
KAP1356

4.38/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured from a 500 ml. bottle into a Weyerbacher tulip...

A - Pours a deep black, almost coffee like color. A nice one finger dark mocha, almost burnt sienna, color head tat recedes to a nice lacing of the same color.

S - Very roasty malts and roasted coffee right up front. With those same notes comes a nice fruoty smell mixed with some sort of warming spice notes. Nice notes of cream and chocolate appear at the end of the nose along with more roasted malts.

T - Strong, rich and sweet roasted coffee flavor right up front. There is also a fruit flavor coming through mixing quite nicely with the coffee; it is almost a light blueberry flavor. Some nice spice in there as well although I'm not sure what it is. Nice chocolate, molasses and slight vanilla to round out the profile

M - Slick, but still nice and creamy on the palate. Full bodied beer, although a bit less than other oatmeal stouts I have encountered. Very little carbonation.

D - Probably one of the best coffee stouts I have ever encountered and was definitely worth seeking out to try the infamous "poop beer." It was quite a palate smasher, so I think one bottle was all I needed. Will definitely be searching this one out again soon.

11-11-2010 05:56:21 | More by KAP1356
ktrillionaire

3.58/5  rDev -17.1%

Thanks to chefmikeanderson for the brew.

A - This looks absolutely perfect. Inky black, with a slow-forming head that rises as a creeping crimson froth but emerges as a taupe head about two fingers high. As the glass drains, there remains a series of alternate stripes on the glass that mimics a racoon tail. Probably the best looking Stout I've ever seen.

S - The nose is shockingly vacant; I wonder, is it me? I pass it to my girl and my best friend, but they too find a nose of scarteen, zilch, nada. As it airs out and warms up, a vague roastiness appears and an impression perhaps most akin to pencil shavings. I am taken aback at how plain and flavorless the nose is.

T - The taste is quite a bit nicer than the aroma, but it still falls quite short of world-class. There is some coffee in the flavor, but it is not tremendously prominent, nor tremendously tremendous. I also pick up on some sharp lumber-wood flavors, and some bitter-herbal hop. I am less and less impressed by the minute.

M - It is not the picture of viscosity, but it is tremendously creamy and has a very enhancing feel.

D - This is a nice beer, lacking in some aspects, outstanding in others.

11-10-2010 01:37:10 | More by ktrillionaire
yeahnatenelson

2.2/5  rDev -49.1%

Big thanks to Jeff for sharing this at a recent tasting. Cheers!

Batch 2

Appearance -- Pours a dark brown with a slim tan head.

Smell -- Roast malt, dark chocolate, soy sauce, burnt coffee, smoke, miscellaneous spices from the kitchen cupboard. What?

Taste -- Roast malt, coffee grounds, chocolate, licorice, anise, soy sauce, and random spices. Finish brings out some minty hop notes.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-full in body, milder carbonation. Not bad.

Drinkability -- Wow, Batch 1 must have been exceptionally good, because this is terrible. Soy sauce + spice rack + ash tray = misery in a glass. It's easy to romanticize the idea of gypsy brewing, but this also allows for duds like this to occur. Moreover, I really do like Mikkeller, but this is one of my least favorite Imperial Stouts to date.

11-08-2010 22:49:21 | More by yeahnatenelson
CooperEllis

3.98/5  rDev -7.9%

Bottle into 7oz glass - split bottle 3 ways

Dark brown - wast a fast tan head that is gone quickly. There is no lacing.

The aroma is excellent; carob, cherry and roast malt nose. Interesting that this beer is noted as "Imperial oatmeal stout brewed with coffee."
I do not get much by way of oatmeal in the aroma or the taste.

Bit of bitter coffee/acrid in the front. Hard cofee/burnt grounds flavor. Pleasant bitter finish with little bite.

The carbonation is minimal, mild.

The finish is very boozey, especially with a good sharp breath, the nose and mouthfeel pull booze right out of the glass.

(34th)

11-05-2010 18:23:36 | More by CooperEllis
scottfrie

4.15/5  rDev -3.9%

500ml bottle into snifter.

A: Pours a very dark brown, almost black, with a thin yet dense dark brown head that faded into a wispy film and collar that left spots of soapy lace down the glass.
S: Strong notes of dark chocolate and roasted coffee beans. I'm picking up sweet dark fruit notes as well as something almost spicy smelling. Very interesting.
T: Much stronger than Beer Greek Breakfast with a bolder and very different and stronger coffee flavor. Molasses is present along with notes of black licorice, caramel, black pepper and some sort of sweet berry or fruit flavor that I can't put my finger on. There is just the faintest amount of leafy hops in the finish, and the aftertaste has a touch of coffee acidity and dark chocolate bitterness. Not much oat.
M: Full bodied with a slick creamy mouthfeel from the ample yet delicate carbonation. Alcohol is warming in the back of the throat but never hot or uncomfortable.
D: One of the best coffee beers out there and well worth the price. The coffee flavors in this are very unique and unlike other coffee stouts I've had. If you're a fan of coffee, especially Vietnamese coffee, this is the beer for you.

11-01-2010 18:40:12 | More by scottfrie
craytonic

District of Columbia

4.2/5  rDev -2.8%

Appearance: Deep black coffee pour with a big espresso head that sticks around for a while, although no lacing

Smell: Coffee (without the bitterness), chocolate, cream, fudge, sweet molasses, and vanilla

Taste: Lots of non-bitter coffee and fudge. Guess the weasels do actually impact the flavor. Also chocolate, vanilla and sweet molasses. Missing those acrid/burnt flavors that kill many roasted/coffee beers for me.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth, but could use a bit more heft and weight for an Imperial Stout. Perhaps a touch over-carbonated.

Drinkability: One of the best-drinking coffee beers I have tried.

11-01-2010 03:23:41 | More by craytonic