Beer Geek Brunch Weasel - Mikkeller ApS

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.90% ABV

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.

Imperial oatmeal stout brewed with coffee. Ingredients: Water, malts, hops, yeast and Vietnamese ca phe chon coffee.

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 01-02-2009)

4.75/5  rDev +10%

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

3.73/5  rDev -13.7%

Pours a deep brownish black with a 1.5" toffee colored head.

Nose is of rosted espresso, cocoa powder, and some booze.

Definitely more of an espresso taste than a coffee. It's a little more acidic than I was expecting. It's huge on the roasted flavor and it has some chocolate in there but not as much as I expected. It has a subtle nuttiness to it, but I was hoping for a little more complexity.

It feels like I'm drinking stout flavored maple syrup. It is by far one of the thickest beers I have ever drank. It's not very smooth, and it hits my stomach like a bag of bricks.

Overall, I wish I wouldnt have paid $14 for this one. It was pretty tasty, but it was so thick it was almost not enjoyable.

4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

I'm not big on reviewing beers, because I don't think I have the nose for picking up the subtle nuances of smell. Sometimes I wonder if my nose is not as good as others when it comes to picking up things like "" or "", but I tend to doubt myself, so I'm forging ahead with this review since I've had 3 bottles of this.

Appearance: It passes the appearance test with flying colors because it passes my standard test: If you can't see through it ... that's a good thing! I wasn't careful pouring and got a two-finger head of fluffy tan bubbles that left a lacing on the glass that didn't distract me from the taste, which in my humble opinion, is more important than the pattern the bubbles left!

Smell: coffee ... strong coffee. In my opinion, that's a wonderful thing. I have a buddy in Stevens Point, WI, that makes beer runs for me when coming to visit me in central Illinois. I told him if he can't get ahold of me to bring beer you can't see through, smells like raisins, coffee or chocolate, chews like oatmeal and has high ABV. This brew passes all tests.

Taste is great. Not the best I've ever had, but nothing to complain about. In fact, I enjoyed it immensely. I've had this before and I might be reaching here, but I don't think this beer is consistent. It seemed better this time. That's tough to judge, but I loved it this time. Last time I like it ... a lot.

Mouthfeel: not too thin, not too thick. I've had beers that hit both extremes. This seemed just right. It's tough to tell if it's a better bottle or I was just in the mood for this. Either way, it was very good.

Overall: I'll buy this again. I might not be as impressed as much next time if I have high expectations, but I feel the need to buy it again and share it with my brother-in-law.

I never thought I'd drink that coffee that weasels crap out but now I have ... and I liked it!

3.98/5  rDev -7.9%

Big thanks to great trader Rhode17 for sending this one. This one is made with the droppings of Civets... intriguing

A: this one pours seriously dark, you can see the viscous texture as it pours, a dark brown 1 finger head is present initially, this dwindles down to a dark brown collar, some lacing

S: nose features bold roasted notes with a big amount of anise and some earthy character, coffee is present but does not stand above any other notes, some bitter hops are present as well

T: the roasted malts, chocolate, and anise are intensely bold on the palate, as the bitter notes wear off, the coffee comes to the forefront in the form of decadent bold roasted coffee. The finish feature dark chocolate and a dash of hops. The beer has flavor busting from its seams.

MF: thick thick thick... body is bordering on syrupy, smooth mouthfeel, mellow carbonation

O: this beer is a rollercoaster of flavors, I was expecting coffee to be more in my face, but perhaps since I'm not familiar with the taste profile of this specialty coffee, it's possible that many the flavors that I am picking up are contributed from the coffee. Either way this is a interesting brew and definitely unique as far as coffee stouts are concerned.

4.75/5  rDev +10%

Bottle, split

A. Dark black with tan head and "chunks" falling out of the bottle here and there making a "plop"

S. Like the best cup of cappuccino I ever ordered, holy crap I want to dive right into this.

T. Coffee milkshake anyone? I'll have a large please. Simply fantastic.

M. Rich and smooth but about these chunks, although they are flavorful they kinda freak me out a little, o well if it tastes good eff it.

O. Very interesting brew we have here, not quite like anything else out there, this "weasel" coffee is the "shit" haha

4.63/5  rDev +7.2%

500 ml bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Pours black as night with a thick tan head that holds its own nicely. Lacing is sticky and coats the sides of the glass.

S: A little off when first poured. All alcohol at first, but as the beer warms, the coffee really stands out. Other aromas include chocolate, a hint of vanilla, and toasted bread.

T: Coffee is dominant, with caramel, chocolate, and just a touch of vanilla. Dark fruits and a touch of walnut thrive in the middle, and the beer finishes with a dry, slightly bitter tone.

Notes: Full-bodied, viscous, and extremely complex, Mikkeller may have reached their apex with this brew. At 10.5% ABV, it's very easy to drink, and tasty as all Hell. This stuff is awesome, and if I happen to come across more I will definitely be stocking up. Perhaps my new favorite stout brewed with coffee.

2.4/5  rDev -44.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

My review is not going to be popular as I am not impressed by this beer. It has an oaky chocalately thin medicinal feel that is not very appealing. This beer is one dimension and seems to taste of Band-Aids. This beer barely held a head even in a Duvel glass that has an etching in the bottom to help maintain a head. Glad to have tried this respected brew but don't see myself returning to it anytime soon. Didn't finish my pint before submitting this review to top it off a pile of sludge at the end of this beer...sorry just wrong.

4.22/5  rDev -2.3%

By the time I drank this brew I had already imbibed in a good...5? 6? brews earlier in the day, including CBS. Hopefully this review will still be accurate!

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. I think I may also have taken a swig straight from the bottle before my husband tore it from my hands. Anyway. Poured a lovely deep, dark brown color...quite what I would imagine weasel **** to look like. Almost black. Very little head retention but there was a bit of lacing.

Obviously, this brew had a strong coffee taste. It was pretty acidic and harsh on my palate, but I enjoyed it because I love coffee stouts. Still, I wouldn't recommend starting a night of drinking with this one. Unfortunately, there was not a lot of complexity. Pretty one-dimensional. I got some hints of cocoa and as it warmed I tasted a bit more warmth/smokiness from it...overall, it tasted from start to finish like coffee. I know that's what this brew was made for, but still...I would have liked to have tasted some subtle notes of other flavors with distinct complexity. Overall, a good brew but I will likely not have it again.

4.08/5  rDev -5.6%

appearance - black and viscous on pour. pretty headless. no lacing to speak of except minor rim.

smell - coffee and chocolate. a bit of sour grape? or is that poop? smells good. darkness

taste - a certainly odd coffee like roast. deep dark chocolate. an odd bitter/oil there.

mouthfeel - oddly the appearance didnt mean too much in this aspect. wasnt that thick, decent carbonation. oil coating in the mouth was there.

sort of weirded me out since my friends kept talking about it being made of turds. skipped ahead to the rumpkin, but a good beer nonetheless.

3.63/5  rDev -16%

First had: bottle from Capone's bottle shop, Norristown, PA

Generic review: "It smelled and tasted like weasel sh*t!"

But seriously...

Poured into a Trappiste Rochefort chalice, jet black with a puff of mocha head that receded to an amoeba-like patch of bubbles and left some nice lacing on the glass. Roasty malts in the nose, coffee, and some notes of booze and phenols. Taste of roasted coffee, molasses, licorice and licorice, and lots of booze. Not quite as smooth as I'd expect from an oatmeal stout. Quite a bit of bitterness, especially towards the end. On the heavier end of medium-bodied, strong, but pretty drinkable nonetheless.

4.15/5  rDev -3.9%

A: Wonderful, deep dark brownish/black. Reddish 2 finger head. Nice lacing.

S: Overwhelming roasted coffee.

T: Acidic, fresh roasted, black coffee.

M: Medium body. Light carbonation. A little creamy.

O: Great coffee stout. Expensive. I wish it was cheaper, but I know Kopi Luwak doesn't come cheap.

3.93/5  rDev -9%

Poured from a 750ml Bottle into an Odell's Pint Glass

A: Pours a very dark brown almost black color. Interestingly enough there was almost no head. Really black, did mention how black it was?

S: Coffee. Acidic coffee dominates the nose with slight hints of chocolate in the background

T: Smooth and just tons of coffee. I love coffee personally and I was not prepared for the first few sips of this guy. It really is a great beer and gets better after a few sips. It is not a coffee flavor that I have encountered before, a very different bean indeed. The lingering taste reminds me of the aftertaste of drinking a cup of black coffee. Did I mention it tastes like coffee?

M: Honestly this beer was a little bit thinner than I was hoping. Based on the color and full flavor I was truly expecting a bit thicker beer. Also the fact that there had been no head when it was poured the carbonation level was actually pretty good

Overall: I like this beer. I don't know that I would keep one around but if it was cold and I was in the mood I may be able to drink it again. This one was too much coffee even for a coffee lover.

4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured room temperature from the bottle to a tulip.

A: Black with a thin mocha colored head that dissipates quickly.

S: Excellent espresso, coffee & dark chocolate aroma... and I also get some slight dark fruit sweetness.

T: Bitter chocolate and espresso. None of the dark fruit sweetness from the aroma in the flavor, which is a good thing IMO. Very bitter with almost no alcohol. Bold flavor while still being super smooth.

M: Lots of body. Very little carbonation. Slightly sticky.

O: I was on the fence about picking this up due to the price ($13.99 for a bottle here in NJ) but figured what the hell. It was excellent. I will definitely pick up a few more of these to have on hand for the cold weather months.

4.38/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured from a 17.9 ounce bottle to an imperial pint. No dating.

A: Pours pitch black with what appears to be coffee grounds settled on the bottom of the glass. A foamy, burnt siena head leaves very nice lacing. Intriguing that a pitch black beer can still offer some surprises in the appearance category.

S: Coffee, soy sauce, chocolate, alcohol, chianti, and brown sugar. Complex and wonderful.

T: Tastes strongly of dark roasted, bitter coffee beans. Brown sugar, caramel, chocolate, rolled oats, and a bitter hops finish.

M: Medium-plus body, rich and smooth. A bit oily in a good way. A dry finish with a warming effect from the alcohol.

O: A very good imperial stout. A strong and bitter coffee presence is great for coffee lovers. The story of the Vietnamese weasel coffee is pretty cool, too. Not world-class, but close.

4.55/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

a- pours a jet black body with a thin fading mocha head. settles with a nice mocha/khaki edge.

s- chocolate and coffee...after the initial barrage, i'm able to pick up some chocolate covered cherries, chocolate syrup, and some roastiness.

t- so smooth, mellow, and deep. incredible dark chocolate with bitter coffee grinds. as smooth as a milkshake. faint aftertastes of weasel droppings on the back of the palate (not actually).

m- hardly any taste of alcohol and incredible drinkable. aftertaste is as delicious as the attack.

would buy over and over if not for the price point.

Beer Geek Brunch Weasel from Mikkeller ApS