Beer Geek Brunch Weasel - Mikkeller ApS

Denmark

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.90% ABV

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 01-02-2009

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.

Imperial oatmeal stout brewed with coffee. Ingredients: Water, malts, hops, yeast and Vietnamese ca phe chon coffee.
4.58/5  rDev +6%

500 ml bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Pours black as night with a thick tan head that holds its own nicely. Lacing is sticky and coats the sides of the glass.

S: A little off when first poured. All alcohol at first, but as the beer warms, the coffee really stands out. Other aromas include chocolate, a hint of vanilla, and toasted bread.

T: Coffee is dominant, with caramel, chocolate, and just a touch of vanilla. Dark fruits and a touch of walnut thrive in the middle, and the beer finishes with a dry, slightly bitter tone.

Notes: Full-bodied, viscous, and extremely complex, Mikkeller may have reached their apex with this brew. At 10.5% ABV, it's very easy to drink, and tasty as all Hell. This stuff is awesome, and if I happen to come across more I will definitely be stocking up. Perhaps my new favorite stout brewed with coffee.

2.4/5  rDev -44.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

My review is not going to be popular as I am not impressed by this beer. It has an oaky chocalately thin medicinal feel that is not very appealing. This beer is one dimension and seems to taste of Band-Aids. This beer barely held a head even in a Duvel glass that has an etching in the bottom to help maintain a head. Glad to have tried this respected brew but don't see myself returning to it anytime soon. Didn't finish my pint before submitting this review to top it off a pile of sludge at the end of this beer...sorry just wrong.

4.2/5  rDev -2.8%

By the time I drank this brew I had already imbibed in a good...5? 6? brews earlier in the day, including CBS. Hopefully this review will still be accurate!

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. I think I may also have taken a swig straight from the bottle before my husband tore it from my hands. Anyway. Poured a lovely deep, dark brown color...quite what I would imagine weasel **** to look like. Almost black. Very little head retention but there was a bit of lacing.

Obviously, this brew had a strong coffee taste. It was pretty acidic and harsh on my palate, but I enjoyed it because I love coffee stouts. Still, I wouldn't recommend starting a night of drinking with this one. Unfortunately, there was not a lot of complexity. Pretty one-dimensional. I got some hints of cocoa and as it warmed I tasted a bit more warmth/smokiness from it...overall, it tasted from start to finish like coffee. I know that's what this brew was made for, but still...I would have liked to have tasted some subtle notes of other flavors with distinct complexity. Overall, a good brew but I will likely not have it again.

4.09/5  rDev -5.3%

appearance - black and viscous on pour. pretty headless. no lacing to speak of except minor rim.

smell - coffee and chocolate. a bit of sour grape? or is that poop? smells good. darkness

taste - a certainly odd coffee like roast. deep dark chocolate. an odd bitter/oil there.

mouthfeel - oddly the appearance didnt mean too much in this aspect. wasnt that thick, decent carbonation. oil coating in the mouth was there.

sort of weirded me out since my friends kept talking about it being made of turds. skipped ahead to the rumpkin, but a good beer nonetheless.

3.63/5  rDev -16%

First had: bottle from Capone's bottle shop, Norristown, PA

Generic review: "It smelled and tasted like weasel sh*t!"

But seriously...

Poured into a Trappiste Rochefort chalice, jet black with a puff of mocha head that receded to an amoeba-like patch of bubbles and left some nice lacing on the glass. Roasty malts in the nose, coffee, and some notes of booze and phenols. Taste of roasted coffee, molasses, licorice and licorice, and lots of booze. Not quite as smooth as I'd expect from an oatmeal stout. Quite a bit of bitterness, especially towards the end. On the heavier end of medium-bodied, strong, but pretty drinkable nonetheless.

4.18/5  rDev -3.2%

A: Wonderful, deep dark brownish/black. Reddish 2 finger head. Nice lacing.

S: Overwhelming roasted coffee.

T: Acidic, fresh roasted, black coffee.

M: Medium body. Light carbonation. A little creamy.

O: Great coffee stout. Expensive. I wish it was cheaper, but I know Kopi Luwak doesn't come cheap.

3.92/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured from a 750ml Bottle into an Odell's Pint Glass

A: Pours a very dark brown almost black color. Interestingly enough there was almost no head. Really black, did mention how black it was?

S: Coffee. Acidic coffee dominates the nose with slight hints of chocolate in the background

T: Smooth and just tons of coffee. I love coffee personally and I was not prepared for the first few sips of this guy. It really is a great beer and gets better after a few sips. It is not a coffee flavor that I have encountered before, a very different bean indeed. The lingering taste reminds me of the aftertaste of drinking a cup of black coffee. Did I mention it tastes like coffee?

M: Honestly this beer was a little bit thinner than I was hoping. Based on the color and full flavor I was truly expecting a bit thicker beer. Also the fact that there had been no head when it was poured the carbonation level was actually pretty good

Overall: I like this beer. I don't know that I would keep one around but if it was cold and I was in the mood I may be able to drink it again. This one was too much coffee even for a coffee lover.

4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured room temperature from the bottle to a tulip.

A: Black with a thin mocha colored head that dissipates quickly.

S: Excellent espresso, coffee & dark chocolate aroma... and I also get some slight dark fruit sweetness.

T: Bitter chocolate and espresso. None of the dark fruit sweetness from the aroma in the flavor, which is a good thing IMO. Very bitter with almost no alcohol. Bold flavor while still being super smooth.

M: Lots of body. Very little carbonation. Slightly sticky.

O: I was on the fence about picking this up due to the price ($13.99 for a bottle here in NJ) but figured what the hell. It was excellent. I will definitely pick up a few more of these to have on hand for the cold weather months.

4.42/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured from a 17.9 ounce bottle to an imperial pint. No dating.

A: Pours pitch black with what appears to be coffee grounds settled on the bottom of the glass. A foamy, burnt siena head leaves very nice lacing. Intriguing that a pitch black beer can still offer some surprises in the appearance category.

S: Coffee, soy sauce, chocolate, alcohol, chianti, and brown sugar. Complex and wonderful.

T: Tastes strongly of dark roasted, bitter coffee beans. Brown sugar, caramel, chocolate, rolled oats, and a bitter hops finish.

M: Medium-plus body, rich and smooth. A bit oily in a good way. A dry finish with a warming effect from the alcohol.

O: A very good imperial stout. A strong and bitter coffee presence is great for coffee lovers. The story of the Vietnamese weasel coffee is pretty cool, too. Not world-class, but close.

4.55/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

a- pours a jet black body with a thin fading mocha head. settles with a nice mocha/khaki edge.

s- chocolate and coffee...after the initial barrage, i'm able to pick up some chocolate covered cherries, chocolate syrup, and some roastiness.

t- so smooth, mellow, and deep. incredible dark chocolate with bitter coffee grinds. as smooth as a milkshake. faint aftertastes of weasel droppings on the back of the palate (not actually).

m- hardly any taste of alcohol and incredible drinkable. aftertaste is as delicious as the attack.

would buy over and over if not for the price point.

4.12/5  rDev -4.6%

Reviewing after a long stint of not reviewing because I felt obligated to due to the interesting nature of this beer...

Big big thanks to bluemooncanyon for sending to this me, very generous!

A - Black with a deep brown head that leaves behind a touch of lacing. Note - the head appears slowly on this one. I poured aggressively and didn't get much head, and then before I knew it, my beer was overflowing. Be warned!
Great looking beer.

S - Dark fruits, a bit of coffee, lots of toffee. Beautiful!

T - Cherry cherry cherry. Maybe some other dark fruit, but this tastes very strongly of cherries to me. Nice roasted coffee as well. Very tasty. A bit sharp, though.

MF - Smooth and heavy, just like an IS should be. Almost creamy.

O - Tasty beer. I don't pick the coffee up quite as much I'd like, but it is there, mainly in the aftertaste. I think this is quite a delicious beer, worth exploring at least once.

edit: just finished. took my time. quite the hefty experience.

4.43/5  rDev +2.5%

Mikkell Beer Geek Brunch Weasel
1 pt .9oz bottle poured into a mug
No born on date or other distinguishing numbers

A: Pours a viscous, oily, opaque jet black, with 2 fingers of dense mocha colored head, with good retention, taking a few minutes to dissipate down to half a fingers width that remains throughout the drink. Leaves no appreciable lacing, but still a damn pretty beer.

S: Coffee, milk chocolate, and dark chocolate, with a subtle smoky character as well. Pretty standard aroma for a coffee/mocha stouts. I wasn’t blown away by the scent but it is quite pleasant.

T: A unique sweetness upfront that I can’t really put my finger on, followed by chocolate and expresso roast coffee on the backend. There is also a strong bitterness on the backend which I think goes along very nicely with the mocha flavors. The coffee and milk chocolate leave a pleasant lingering aftertaste with each sip. I wouldn’t say that palate profile is all that complex, but it is damn tasty.

M/D: So smooth and incredibly easy to drink. Medium bodied with low carbonation and a slick oily mouthfeel. No hint of the double digit ABV.

O: Overall, a pretty great brew. Beautiful in the glass, easy to drink, and quite delicious. Up there with my all time favorite stouts. The one drawback is the price, running $14 for a pint sized bottle. Because of that I don’t think it’s a beer I will drink often, but I do think it would make a fantastic breakfast/brunch beer when you want to spoil yourself every now and again.

3.78/5  rDev -12.5%

I had a couple of bucks to burn so I decided to splurge on a Beer Geek Brunch after a previous conversation about the kopi luwak bean. (Would love to meet the guy who discovered it.) Got mixed feelings on this one, but ultimately leaning toward a thumbs up with the caveat that I probably won't be reaching for another bottle anytime soon. (Especially at $15/bottle.) Pours beautifully, not much head but what's there is a gorgeous coffee brown with some beautiful lacing. The smell is rich in coffee at first becoming more molasses and bourbon. After you get that strong coffee flavor up front - which is absolutely delicious - there's a powerful bitterness that is enjoyable but a touch overwhelming as it warms up. And at over 10% abv, that alcohol is there in presence and flavor. Really a bomber of a beer, big flavors, big price, big concept - really cool, worth a shot but not one that will make it into the steady rotation.

4.37/5  rDev +1.2%

Thanks to Chris @ Slowbeer

Pours a dark black with a really dark brown head. Good lacing.

Smell is an obscene amount of decadent chocolate fudge. There's also brown sugar, soy sauce, umami, more chocolate and rye. Amazing.

Taste is lots more earthy chocolate, more complex earthy/rye notes. The sweetness which I initially get on the palate gets swamped by a wave of bitterness. There's some great caramelised alcohol to finish and of course roast is a ubiquitous but subtle presence.

Mouthfeel is good with good thickness and viscosity.

Overall a fantastic beer. Worth the hype and the money. Very keen to try the -BA versions.

3.86/5  rDev -10.6%

Poured into pint glass.

Appearance: Deep brown, almost black, espresso like in color, heavy rich tan head that quickly fades.

Smell: Roasted malt, coffee, smoked wood, hints of chocolate.

Taste: just like it smells, roasted malt, strong coffee taste, and notes of chocolate throughout.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, rich, creamy.

Overall: A very good imperial oatmeal stout. If you can find a bottle, by all means don't pass up the opportunity.

4.05/5  rDev -6.3%

Pours a deep, dark brownish black. There's a 1/4" of head with great retention. Licorice and deep, dark, coffee, roasted malts that dominate the nose. Taste is thick, malty, roasted, and licorice. Viscous, oily, deep; all around dark, deep, rich.

This beer is rich and smooth but a little thick and warm. Overall, a decent beer. Thick, viscous, potent, complex...AWESOME!

4.62/5  rDev +6.9%

A: Pours an espresso-black color; no head, light lacing

S: Wood, coffee, dark chocolate

T: Delicious roasted coffee, smoked wood, dark chocolate. This beer has flavors that are beyond delicious.

M: Medium thickness, no hint of booze, unbelievably smooth.

O: This is one of the best Imperial Stouts I've ever had, hands down. I think the only one that I've liked more is Abyss, by a very small amount. If you see one, buy it immediately.

4.2/5  rDev -2.8%

Beer Geek Brunch Weasel

Served in DFH signature glass

A: Pours black with dark brown head. Poor retention as head falls quickly to an oily skim.  The beer appears clear along edges.

S: Intense roasted malts and rich ground coffee beans, as well as molasses, make up most of smell. Additional aromas include dark, dried fruits, caramel and alcohol. Maybe a touch of acetone.

T: Fairly sweet at onset, a combination of caramel, chocolate and molasses. On their heels enter roast, bitter chocolate and intense coffee and amplify into finish, which is on the right side of charred. Very bitter. Alcohol is subdued. Additional flavors include earth and smoke.

M: Big body and medium-light carbonation. Fairly viscous and sticky. A touch warming.

O: I think I enjoyed the last release of Beer Geek Brunch Weasel more, but this is damned good. As far as coffee-infused imperial stouts go, this definitely contends for the top spot.

4.37/5  rDev +1.2%

Black, mahogony tinged pour with a short lived mocha brown head. Nice lacing clings throughout. Strongest coffee aroma I have encountered in a beer. Strong, thick, Cuban coffee. Sweet, burnt carmel and cocoa. Taste is more of a bitter cocoa, and leaves the bitterness behind as a lingering after effect that I could do without honestly. Mouthfeel is slick and oily, maybe a bit thin. Alcohol is completely masked.

I had been keen to try this beer for a while now, and it does not dissappoint. The aroma alone makes this worth the cost. Not sure if it tops Speedway Stout, but it is certainly in the ballpark.

4.12/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured into my Brooklyn Brewery tulip glass. A beer my wife got me as an Easter gift, been in the cellar about 6 months now.

A- A rather agressive pour renders a lively mocha head that came up to the rim of my glass. After a few minutes it settled down to a one finger head sitting on top of a deep deep black beer as dark as the night. Very good looking beer, seems like i cant get enough of the look of imperial stouts.

S- On the front of the nose i get alot of super earthy aromas followed by coffee, then some bready sweetness and some chocolate. Upon shaking up my glass and getting another deep whif, theres alot of smoky aromas. Again there is alot of earthy coffee. You can tell this isnt just any coffee in this beer. Not and extremely complex smelling beer but man, it smells good.

T- Sweet, malty, roasty, coffee followed by more sweetness with a very clean finish. Not alot of aftertaste here. Second sip renders more coffee, chocolate, some caramel finished off a little boozy. Like the nose, the palate brings up that very intense earthy coffee, fantastic.

M- Smooth and creamy mouthfeel, not thin but not thick.

O- Overall a fantastic imperial stout. Im glad i have since purchased more of these to enjoy later. I recommend this beer to all the stout lovers out there.

4.13/5  rDev -4.4%

A - Pours a pitch black color with a caramel colored creamy head which dies down to a very thin caramel colored ring. As I rotate my snifter, there's a syrupy & viscous coating that clings to the glass and oozes down the sides.

S- Black expresso coffee, mild toffee, burnt roasted chocolate.

T - Mimicks the nose with burnt toffee and bitter dark roasted chocolate. There's a dark coffee nuance that hits up front, and hits hard. As the roasty bitter flavor subsides in the middle of the palate, the flavor erodes and morphs into a dark fruit/medicinal semi-boozy finish that warms the throat and leaves a thick coating of creamy expresso lingering aftertaste in the mouth.

M - Medium mouthfeel, silky on the tongue with a mildly sticky coating on the lips. The body could be thicker for a beer of this stature, lost points here.

O - one of the better coffee stouts I've had, worth pursuing.

4.12/5  rDev -4.6%

A-Pours impenetrable shiny black with a gorgeous, tightly constructed dark amber head. A very attractive beer. I watched the head fade away to a thin amber sheen, with intermittent dark patches of tiny, mocha colored bubbles.

S-Chocolate almond biscotti, amaretto, chicory, milky light roast coffee.

T/M-Very hoppy considering the style, but it works. Dry, astringent hoppiness butts up against a mouthful of roasted barley. The roasty bitterness falls off mid-palate, fading into lush, dense coffee flavors. This coffee is very different from what you usually get in a coffee stout. The flavor is very earthy. Makes me want to try a cup of the coffee on its own. Mouth feel is alternately silky smooth and intensely bitter, which does ultimately affect the drinkability.

O-My favorite of the Breakfast series to date.

4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured into a sniffer, thanks to StoneBrewFanatic for sharing.

Appearance: Black with a dark brown head about a finger thick that slowly fades to a thin lacing.

Aroma: Chocolate, roasted notes, coffee, subtle vanilla notes in the background, but this one is all about the coffee.

Taste: Espresso up front with chocolate and roasted notes backing it up. Very rich with a slight alcoholic sensation on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Thick, viscous, and creamy with minimal carbonation.

Overall: A great beer, the sad part is we had it at a crazy tasting so it kind of got left be hind the others.

4.24/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

was feeling like being high class tonight so what says snobby better than an expensive beer made with a rare coffee made from wild cat poop!?!

poured into a tulip glass. here we go!

Appearance: black oily bodied beer with a medium brown head that just caps the top of the beer with half a fingers worth of head.

Smell: a wonderful expresso coffee note that really fills up the room. Roasty dark malts and a little note of brown sugar and molasses adding some mild sweetness to the nose. No smell of cat poop or digestive enzymes are noted in the smell...which is a good thing. Nice smelling Impy Stout!

Taste: Follows the nose to start with upfront expresso coffee that has a moderate bitterness thats just right for this brew. The coffee is very robust and roasty. The coffee notes follow through the beer from start to finish and gives a decent coffee aftertaste, but the coffee notes remain the same. Hints of milk chocolate and I get a small taste of the molasses that got from the nose, but its a subtle taste. Its got that trademark Mikkeller stout taste to it, but this is definately the best tasting black beer I have had from Mikkeller. Dissapointed that it was not more complex, but its still really tastey. No boozy taste to this beer, even when it clocks in at almost 11%.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied beer with low carbonation. Silky, velvety, smooth, and drinkable for the style. Impressive! Just a well made beer using quality ingredients(even if the beer was made with cat poop, you gotta love the irony here folks!).

Overall: My favorite Mikkeller beer to date. Recommended you pick it up, if you see it on the shelf. It does live up to the hype & the following, I was not sure if it was going to pull it off. It did!

4.42/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours oily black with a creamy caramel brown head that only slowly fades - once I start to sip some weblike lacing clings around the tulip. The smells are big and bold hinting in with black licorice, bitter dark chocolate with a belgian/bitter/almost sour twang to it, vanilla, burnt marshmallows and sugars. The taste is extremely pungent and bold - a real kick to the palate. There is an eruption of bitter coffee and cocoa and a campfire s'more chocolate smokiness to it, but it's as if it is almost a bit sour from how pungent the flavors are (assuming from the digested coffee beans from the weasel critters - thanks little dudes). Milky smooth with a very little amount of carbonation fill this beer out nicely. I could drink this with a civet cat, in a hat, warm or cold, it's deliciously bold....I do I do I do love this brew.

Cheers!