Beer Geek Brunch Weasel - Mikkeller ApS

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.90% ABV

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.

Imperial oatmeal stout brewed with coffee. Ingredients: Water, malts, hops, yeast and Vietnamese ca phe chon coffee.

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 01-02-2009)
4.4/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Drank from my Bomardier Conic Pint glass.

A - Pours a very deep ebony colour with a very tanned head that does retain well and laces the glass.

S - Plenty of malt and cocoa with hints of toffee.

T - Heaps of cocoa and some burnt caramel, in the middle the cofffe takes over and finishes with a little licorice.

M - Not quite full bodied with low carbonation but very smooth.

D - A very good example of the style and my favourite Mikkeller brew to date.

eric5bellies, Nov 19, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -7.9%

500ml served into a Bruery Tulip.

Appearance - Pours into my Bruery Tulip with a rather opaque, black color. A little over a finger of dark tan/mocha colored head is achieved with a moderate to strong pour that dissipates at a medium pace, leaving ever so slight lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell - Earthy, bittersweet cocoa, less than expected coffee, light vanilla and molasses.

Taste - Interesting. This is a taste I can honestly say I have not really experienced. After sitting here for a few minutes I'm trying to put my finger on the overwhelming flavor and I really do think it is molasses. A heavy, sticky, molasses flavor is the most prevalent. Almost cloyingly so. Once this overbearing flavor subdues there is smoke, vanilla, and coffee. But damn, this is quite a bit sweeter than I expected. The more it warms up, the more black licorice I taste as well. I don't - not really what I expected and just overly cloying in every way.

Mouthfeel - Medium to full bodied, lower carbonation. Actually quite nice.

Drinkability - This is a sipper - I need to have some tart cheese and crackers with this. Again, not what I was expecting. Honestly, would not pick up another in the future.

SpdKilz, Nov 18, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +13%

This is the beer of my dreams.

Although I am a man who loves imperial stouts, i feel this beer can be respected by all beer enthusiasts, even if you do not prefer the dark stuff.

First I poured half of this beer into some sort of wine style glass. Perhaps to cold when i first poured it, still gave off full aromas of dark rich malt, coffee, and vanilla. As i poured it, it filled the glass with a thick motor oil of pure darkness, and left much residue on the side of the glass. As expected there was little to no carbonation, and i had to try to create a head by pouring it rougher than needed. When there was finally a head of around a fingers thickness I ceased pouring and handed the beer off to my beer drinking partner.

As I took the first full drink, i let it sit in my mouth for a full 5 seconds before swallowing (thats what she said). At first I tasted the wonderful malts, then vanilla, then the taste of coffee slowly creeping it way onto my taste buds. As I am engorged in these flavors a strange sweetness starts pushing its way through. Now all of the full flavors and sweetness are virtually attacking my mouth. As the sip is heavily swallowed due to thickness, something sweet is still left in my mouth. It is maybe a sugary coffee flavor.

As the beer gets warmer it get more complex but holds similar characteristics. Nowhere in the drinking process did i taste the hefty 10.9 percent alcohol. Not even the slightest little bight.

This beer virtually ruined my perception of imperial stouts. I still love other imperial stouts by alesmith, stone, dogfish head, greenflash, and so on, but this by far takes the cake. I will have a hard time purchasing anything but these stouts by Mikkeller.

capybara, Nov 18, 2010
3.93/5  rDev -9%

Had on tap at Local Option beer geek Thursday event.

This beer is too fresh right now. I feel that my review is a bit tainted since this was the new batch and on tap. It needs age simple as that.

Appearance- Dark black with 1 finger of light brown head that dissipates quickly into a neat little ring.

Aroma and Taste- Coffee, coffee, coffee. Rich and roasty, and a little bit overpowering. Honestly this is very 1-note right now and needs time to mellow out.

Mouthfeel- Thick with good carbonation

Drink- One 8 oz snifter is more than enough.

cadaugherty, Nov 15, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +3%

A: Awesome tan creamy head with sticky lacing, jet black color.

S: Coffee with something I pin as a tropical flavor? Dark Chocolate sweetness and a definite nuttiness.

T: The chestnut/walnut flavor is certainly there, dark roast, dark chocolate, some coriander like spice and some bitters to finish. Very nice.

M: Very creamy and rolling feel, heavy. Awesome.

D: Very good, not offensive in anyway.

Dreadnaught33, Nov 15, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Been eager to try this one for a while... Here we go...

A - One fingers worthy of dense and creamy medium to dark brown colored head is slow to materialize... Minimal retention gives way to a thin yet inviting veil of lace with a collar of medium thickness... Completely opaque jet black color... Uber still with no discernible carbonation...

S - Lightly roasted malts... Some mild milk chocolates... Whipped cream... Caramel... Toffee... Faint hand pressed coffee... Muted soy sauce... Inviting, but not quite what I was expecting... Much sweeter and slightly more subdued than expected with a surprising absence of the overpowering coffee that was anticipating - Not necessarily a bad thing either...

T - Cocoa powder... Touches of sweet caramel... Subdued but assertive espresso... A touch of licorice... A bit of smoke creeps into the palette at finish... Also a touch of satisfying heat as the flavors recede...

M - Medium to full bodied... Sleek and smooth... Just a faint hint of carbonation encounters the tongue... Rich and satisfying... Quite mellow for such an intense offering... So smooth... Worldly and sophisticated...

D - Wonderful execution, depth, and complexity... This one comes at you in layers... It wasn't quite what I was expecting, but none the less this is a world class offering... Stunning display of brewing craftmanship...

philbe311, Nov 14, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured from a 500 ml. bottle into a Weyerbacher tulip...

A - Pours a deep black, almost coffee like color. A nice one finger dark mocha, almost burnt sienna, color head tat recedes to a nice lacing of the same color.

S - Very roasty malts and roasted coffee right up front. With those same notes comes a nice fruoty smell mixed with some sort of warming spice notes. Nice notes of cream and chocolate appear at the end of the nose along with more roasted malts.

T - Strong, rich and sweet roasted coffee flavor right up front. There is also a fruit flavor coming through mixing quite nicely with the coffee; it is almost a light blueberry flavor. Some nice spice in there as well although I'm not sure what it is. Nice chocolate, molasses and slight vanilla to round out the profile

M - Slick, but still nice and creamy on the palate. Full bodied beer, although a bit less than other oatmeal stouts I have encountered. Very little carbonation.

D - Probably one of the best coffee stouts I have ever encountered and was definitely worth seeking out to try the infamous "poop beer." It was quite a palate smasher, so I think one bottle was all I needed. Will definitely be searching this one out again soon.

KAP1356, Nov 11, 2010
3.58/5  rDev -17.1%

Thanks to chefmikeanderson for the brew.

A - This looks absolutely perfect. Inky black, with a slow-forming head that rises as a creeping crimson froth but emerges as a taupe head about two fingers high. As the glass drains, there remains a series of alternate stripes on the glass that mimics a racoon tail. Probably the best looking Stout I've ever seen.

S - The nose is shockingly vacant; I wonder, is it me? I pass it to my girl and my best friend, but they too find a nose of scarteen, zilch, nada. As it airs out and warms up, a vague roastiness appears and an impression perhaps most akin to pencil shavings. I am taken aback at how plain and flavorless the nose is.

T - The taste is quite a bit nicer than the aroma, but it still falls quite short of world-class. There is some coffee in the flavor, but it is not tremendously prominent, nor tremendously tremendous. I also pick up on some sharp lumber-wood flavors, and some bitter-herbal hop. I am less and less impressed by the minute.

M - It is not the picture of viscosity, but it is tremendously creamy and has a very enhancing feel.

D - This is a nice beer, lacking in some aspects, outstanding in others.

ktrillionaire, Nov 10, 2010
2.2/5  rDev -49.1%

Big thanks to Jeff for sharing this at a recent tasting. Cheers!

Batch 2

Appearance -- Pours a dark brown with a slim tan head.

Smell -- Roast malt, dark chocolate, soy sauce, burnt coffee, smoke, miscellaneous spices from the kitchen cupboard. What?

Taste -- Roast malt, coffee grounds, chocolate, licorice, anise, soy sauce, and random spices. Finish brings out some minty hop notes.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-full in body, milder carbonation. Not bad.

Drinkability -- Wow, Batch 1 must have been exceptionally good, because this is terrible. Soy sauce + spice rack + ash tray = misery in a glass. It's easy to romanticize the idea of gypsy brewing, but this also allows for duds like this to occur. Moreover, I really do like Mikkeller, but this is one of my least favorite Imperial Stouts to date.

yeahnatenelson, Nov 08, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -7.9%

Bottle into 7oz glass - split bottle 3 ways

Dark brown - wast a fast tan head that is gone quickly. There is no lacing.

The aroma is excellent; carob, cherry and roast malt nose. Interesting that this beer is noted as "Imperial oatmeal stout brewed with coffee."
I do not get much by way of oatmeal in the aroma or the taste.

Bit of bitter coffee/acrid in the front. Hard cofee/burnt grounds flavor. Pleasant bitter finish with little bite.

The carbonation is minimal, mild.

The finish is very boozey, especially with a good sharp breath, the nose and mouthfeel pull booze right out of the glass.

(34th)

CooperEllis, Nov 05, 2010
4.15/5  rDev -3.9%

500ml bottle into snifter.

A: Pours a very dark brown, almost black, with a thin yet dense dark brown head that faded into a wispy film and collar that left spots of soapy lace down the glass.
S: Strong notes of dark chocolate and roasted coffee beans. I'm picking up sweet dark fruit notes as well as something almost spicy smelling. Very interesting.
T: Much stronger than Beer Greek Breakfast with a bolder and very different and stronger coffee flavor. Molasses is present along with notes of black licorice, caramel, black pepper and some sort of sweet berry or fruit flavor that I can't put my finger on. There is just the faintest amount of leafy hops in the finish, and the aftertaste has a touch of coffee acidity and dark chocolate bitterness. Not much oat.
M: Full bodied with a slick creamy mouthfeel from the ample yet delicate carbonation. Alcohol is warming in the back of the throat but never hot or uncomfortable.
D: One of the best coffee beers out there and well worth the price. The coffee flavors in this are very unique and unlike other coffee stouts I've had. If you're a fan of coffee, especially Vietnamese coffee, this is the beer for you.

scottfrie, Nov 01, 2010
4.2/5  rDev -2.8%

Appearance: Deep black coffee pour with a big espresso head that sticks around for a while, although no lacing

Smell: Coffee (without the bitterness), chocolate, cream, fudge, sweet molasses, and vanilla

Taste: Lots of non-bitter coffee and fudge. Guess the weasels do actually impact the flavor. Also chocolate, vanilla and sweet molasses. Missing those acrid/burnt flavors that kill many roasted/coffee beers for me.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth, but could use a bit more heft and weight for an Imperial Stout. Perhaps a touch over-carbonated.

Drinkability: One of the best-drinking coffee beers I have tried.

craytonic, Nov 01, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +2.5%

500 ml bottle served cool into a goblet.

The BGBreakfast was quite tasty and, since I love coffee, I figure this beer must be something special as well.

It pours a nearly black color with thin short-lived head.

Aroma is very nice for a coffee stout. Lots of big roasty character and coffee goodness. It has an intensity here that is rare even in a big stout.

Flavor is even moreso impressive with huge flavors of roast, dark chocolate, bitter-sweet espresso, and an earthy hop character. Then again, earthy could be more related to the weasel and the poop and all of that.

Mouthfeel is wonderful - creamy smooth, full bodied, and almost no carbonation.

Overall a fantastic beer. Expensive, rare, but very special.

On second thought, as I pour the rest of the bottle into my glass, a disturbing amount of thick chunky muck comes sloshing out. By the time I've gotten to the bottom of this bottle, it was just about like drinking a milkshake. Not so pleasant but, oddly, still very tasty.

GilGarp, Oct 27, 2010
4.15/5  rDev -3.9%

So I've been sitting on this one for a special occasion. This being my 300th review I figured I'd bust the cap on it tonight.

A: 1 word....beautiful! Black as night with a gorgeous reddish coffee iced cream colored head of about 3 fingers.

S: Sweet dark chocolate with lighter coffee notes then expected. A sort of dark damp cave aroma with a touch of vanilla in the background.

T: pretty much the same as the nose but with a bit stronger coffee and more sweet dark chocolates. Also dome light smokiness almost peat like.

M: Super smooth. Medium bodied rich and creamy and oh so smooth.

Overall: This one meets expectations and then some. Althoughto expensive to drink often. I would definitely drink this as over again. One of the better coffee stouts I've had.

BigMike, Oct 25, 2010
3.48/5  rDev -19.4%

Pours jet black with a very small brown head that diminishes quickly. Great looking beer. Aroma is a lot of tasty coffee and some dark chocolate. The taste is definitely a coffee bomb. Lots of coffee and TONS of dark chocolate. I love some dark chocolate taste in my beer (even though I hate eating dark chocolate)...but this chocolate is a little too dark for me. This is kinda disappointing to me that the dark chocolate overwhelms the tasty coffee flavors. Mouthfeel is velvety and pleasant. Drinkability is not very high due to my personal dislike for extremely dark chocolate.

DovaliHops, Oct 20, 2010
4.25/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured this one into a tulip. This one pours thick and black with slight hues of brown that shed just a little bit of light in the pour. The head is mocha colored and very thick and creamy looking, leaving behind soapy lacing all around. The smell is coffee right up front; very strong dark coffee, with notes of leather and a trace of alcohol. It's pretty nice, but it's not very present. The taste follows the smell but with aggression! The taste has coats my tongue with a flavor or big roasted malts, dark fruits, coffee and finish with an interesting bitter coffee and hop finish. The coffee is really well done, it is certainly an enormous presence in this one but doesn't overpower anything and allows the other elements of this beer to shine. The mouthfeel is simply fantastic. It's silky and creamy and doesn't leave a sticky syrupy mess as with a lot of the big stouts. Drinkability is as good as it gets with something this big. The abv is hidden very well and the flavors are terrific. I will absolutely buy more of this.

Bendurgin, Oct 13, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +1.4%

22oz. bottle poured into a standard shaker glass. Appearance is a very dark brown color with less than one finger of head. The smell if very robust. The smell is roasted espresso beans to a whole new level. Almost a burn smell. The taste matches the smell. This beer has the richest roasted coffe flavor of any beer I have consumed. The mouth feel is very thick and enjoyable. I would reach for this agian but I would have to be in the mood for coffee.

mymrnngjckt, Oct 10, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -6.7%

I totally admit, I had no idea what the "weasel" version was all about until I opened the bottle. As I let the initial head settle, I read the label and started cracking up. After a Google search I realized this wasn't a joke.

Creamy thick tan head. Opaque dark brown, no light at the edges.

Dark espresso aroma with lots of dark roasted malt.

Certainly a total focus on a deep Coffee flavor. Also present are ash, tar and perhaps some dark molasses. Dark Roasted malt flavor is fairly complex here. Some note from spent coffee grains.

Mouth feel is a little slippery, perhaps due to the oats. Also a slight coffee grain texture as well. Bold bodied.

This was enjoyable and pretty good, but not among the elites. Very happy to have tried it and the story of the coffee is a classic.

Reagan1984, Oct 10, 2010
4.85/5  rDev +12.3%

Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch Weasel

Appearance: Black, great lacing, and a small head.

Smell: Coffee, faint oat, and slight hop.

Taste: Slightly-hoppy roasted-malt coffee.

Mouthfeel: Heavy and similar to coffee.

Overall:
This is mighty good. I like my coffee black and this is just like that! I would love to have this with breakfast or brunch. I can't say that for many beers.

megahurts4, Oct 10, 2010
3.95/5  rDev -8.6%

Bottle pour served in a Bruery tulip

A - Dark, dark brown with a decent brown head & great lacing.

S - Rich coffee, dried cherries

T - Earthy, roasted malts along with dried apricot and milk chocolate up front. Back half consists of more of the same with the addition of a touch of smoke and a dark chocolate finish.

M - Creamy & rich, but not syrupy.

D - A sipper, but not bad by any means. I could polish off a bomber myself, for sure.

klikger, Oct 08, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -6.7%

I'm having this one for breakfast this morning...

Poured into my CCB snifter....

Typical big stout appearance here.. Black as night with a creamy mocha head... Lots of nice lacing...

Deep dark roasted malts dominate with a bitter dark chocolate and burnt coffee finish... There's also an earthiness to this that is quite unusual and adds a unique character to it..

Lots of chocolate and coffee, of course, present in the taste of this beer but I think I might taste a touch of hop bitterness and I can say that there's an aspect to the finish that I find a touch unpleasant.. Its a chalky earthy burnt finish that just seems a touch off... Still really delicious but the finish isn't as creamy and pleasant as I'd hoped. That's sort of nitpicking this one as its still a great beer... The booze isn't evident..at first... As this warms, it develops a healthy kick that, at times, comes through a little too strong...

This is a terrific beer and I liked it quite a bit.. But due to the apparent ABV and the chalky burnt finish, I didn't find it to be an elite stout... Again, just little things but those add up when compared with other brews in the class... Glad I tried this one but I liked the Beer Geek Breakfast a bit better...

Tilley4, Oct 08, 2010
4.2/5  rDev -2.8%

500ml bottle poured into a Delirum Tremens Tulip.

Pours a very dark black color with a very thick and creamy two finger dark brown head. Nose is coffee and rich malty sweetnes.

Taste is all coffee, it's a bit bitter from it as to be expected but it's well balanced with the hops and malt. Mouthfeel is very rich and creamy - very tasty and drinkable.

kingcrowing, Oct 05, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -13.2%

500 ML bottle poured into a tulip

A-- Started off as a root beer color and changed to almost ink black in the pour. Head is a dark chocolate color that at first was 2 fingers and quickly dropped to just film. Swirling the beer brings a little bit of head but not much. Little carbonation besides the pour.

S-- Lots of roasted malts, rolled oats, prunes, chocolate, brown sugar, vanilla, you name it. Just missing the coffee. More like a liquor chocolate like kahlua.

T-- Big, thick, rich taste. Lots of baking chocolate, molasses, with touches of vanilla, sweet chocolate, and sweet milk. There are flashes of coffee but not a whole lot.

M-- A whole lot in the mouth. Starts of sweet and finishes off baking chocolate dry. More coffee taste in the mouth, get a lot of acidity from the coffee but really a lot of baking chocolate. Alcohol is very obvious. More carbonated than what I really would expect, still is creamy though.

D-- It is good but one is enough. A whole lot of baking chocolate makes this tough to get through and my biggest negative on the beer. ABV is noticeable through the entire beer. Reminds me more of a Kahlua or Tia Maria than anything else. This is a sipper and one to work through.

mulder1010, Oct 02, 2010
4.3/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured in to a pint glass

A: This beer pours a deep, dark, opaque chocolate brown with a 1/4 inch of medium brown head. Head recedes immediately leaving spots of lacing on the glass.

S: Nose is viscious! Licorice, prunes, wood, charred malts, and vanilla.

T: Taste starts with a strong coffee, and vicious charred malt flavoring - light alcohol is present. Prunes come through with a milk chocolate sweetness that really fills out and cuts the sharp charred malt flavoring. Finish has a complimentary woody vanilla flavoring.

M: Full bodied, low carbonation, thick and creamy.

D: Goes down easily, filling, big kick, great representation of style - this is a nice beer to have a pint of.

Jayli, Oct 01, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

22oz bottle, served in a 10oz mini-tulip

A - pours with a thin creamy film of dark khaki foam. the beer is pitch black with light active bubbling. just a couple spots of lacing left sporadically around the glass.

S - begins with coffee (of course), lightly sweetened with some vanilla creamer. hints of dark chocolate, toasted nuts, and boozy bourbon.

T - huge, bold roastyness...not coffee at first but some chocolate malt and barley, slightly charred. a little sweet through the middle with notes of oak and vanilla, before a big bold earthy hop bite mashed with fresh, very dark roasted coffee beans. after warming, some dark fruits peek their head in.

M - body is a little light, with playful and slightly punchy carbonation. finishes somewhat sticky, chewy, and dry, with robust bitterness and booze.

D - gimmicky? yes. a little disappointed in the coffee profile, though taken as an RIS it still stands as a very delicious beer. great sipper, and a bit of a reward for myself for running my first 10K this morning.

Stigs, Sep 26, 2010