Beer Geek Brunch Weasel - Mikkeller ApS

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.90% ABV

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.

Imperial oatmeal stout brewed with coffee. Ingredients: Water, malts, hops, yeast and Vietnamese ca phe chon coffee.

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 01-02-2009)
4.58/5  rDev +6%

Poured from a 16.9 oz. bottle into my Duvel tulip. Received from SpeedwayJim, thanks Jim!

a - Pours a dark brown with one finger of brown head. Light carbonation evident and light lacing. Looks great.

s - Smells of roasted malts, sweet coffee and chocolate, and a decent amount of vanilla. Very enjoyable.

t - Taste is rich chocolate up front, followed by a light coffee taste. Also some roasted and caramel malts.

m - Medium body and low carbonation, very smooth and creamy. Can't believe this is 10.9%, as I don't taste the alcohol at all.

d - I thought this was an amazing stout. It looked amazing, felt amazing, and had a great coffee and chocolate taste. I actually got more chocolate than coffee in the taste, but liked it that way. Very easy to drink for over 10% ABV. Would love to have again.

mdfb79, May 25, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

Time to try this one after watching an episode on the Discovery channel talking about coffee made with beans that were eaten, then expelled by the civet. Bottoms up!

Pours a deep, dark brown/black color with a 1 finger dark tan head. The aroma is a deep mixture of coffee, roasted malts, and dark chocolate. Wow, that has one strong taste! The initial bite is a slight alcohol flavor followed by the roasted malts and coffee. For 10.9%, the alocohol is actully hidden pretty well. The black coffee taste lingers in the mouth well after you have taken a sip. The mouthfeel is medium/heavy. Not as heavy as I thought it was going to be.

I really am enjoying this beer. The coffee is so center stage and smooth.

kbutler1, May 23, 2010

A - Very dark brown, almost black. Huge brown head foamed up on mine from an aggressive pour, had to wait for a bit for it to come down. Huge bubble head, not all that attractive, but left some very nice lacing on the sides and supurb throughout the drink.

S - Wonderful sweet cocoa aroma, espresso and coffee bean, and a nice roasted malt smell. This is definately on the sweet side.

T - Actually think the coffee takes a backseat to a sweet cocoa powder smell, and something oddly sweet, maybe a berry or light licorice flavor? Wish I could pick out exactly what it was, not unpleasant, but slightly too dominating in the taste. Nice roasty malts and coffee bean back, it's very good, but too sweet for me.

M - Nice and smooth, carbonation gives it a minimal bite that works well, full bodied, but not super heavy like a lot of big stouts.

D - Sweetness knocked this one down for me just a little bit on the drinkability factor. Did the bomber, but was struggling at the end.

AgentZero, May 23, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +6.5%

Ah, the brunch weasel. 1/2 of me wanted to make up some midnight breakfast to go with this, but I'll settle for just the beer. 22oz into pint glass. 10.9% ABV.

A- Awesome coloration, almost black but the light shows its just a really really dark brown. Head is 5-fingered and darker than most any head I've seen on a stout. Thick, slowly settling and some thick goopy lacing. A 1-finger pancake is just chillin' on top of my glass.

S- Coffee.. a fine roast. Robust, bold,lots of chocolate (sweet) and some vanilla.

T- Coffee! Deep and intense but smoother than I would have thought given the nose. No acidity, very rich. Chocolate, a bit of ash/smoke. I really like oatmeal stouts... they're potent and powerful but stay on track. There's a fruitiness and nuttiness that comes out in the finish as I'm on my 2nd glass. Hmm... hold the poop jokes please.

M- Moderate.. perhaps even a bit thin, but goes well with the velvet smoothness of the beer (flavor and body). A joy to drink. No sign of the ABV... except for my head's feeling a little warm as I continue to drink this. Thumbs-up.

D- High as it can be for the $$$. I *love* this beer. I'm not the biggest stout fan, but know a good one when I see one. This is awesome sauce, plain and simple. Blows the beer geek breakfast out of the water.

ShogoKawada, May 23, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

On draft at The Blind Tiger, NYC.

Poured a deep black hue with a two finger frothy dark tan head. There was good retention and lacing.

The smell featured a spicy sweetness, with elements of caramel, dark chocolate and coffee.

The taste consisted of elements of coffee, semi sweet chocolate, and caramel.

The mouthfeel was full with a residual coffee element.

Overall a very well made and complex stout.

plaid75, May 19, 2010
4.8/5  rDev +11.1%

A few months ago i was affoarded the opportunity to share in a few ounces of this at a tasting and have been waiting patiently ever since for a bottle to call my own.

Pours a rich, creamy and slighlty grainy near black color. Great cap of creamy, dense brown colored head, great retention and lacing. Smell is of bitter cocoa, fresh cream, roasted espresso beans, earth, smoke and wood. What hits you before the taste is the ultra creamy yet still textured mouthfeel... reminicent of chocolate milk made with bitter cocoa powder and whole milk. First taste is of the chocolate, followeed by a much mellower presence of espresso. A unique dark berry like flavor throughout the taste as well as hints of earth. An excellent brew, truly unique in design and taste... one of the rare instances of a "novelty" ingredient and fine craftsmanship combining for one of the best beers around.

rfgetz, May 19, 2010

A-pours a viscous opaque black liquid with a dense dark tan colored head and good retention with an extremely thick lace.

S-the nose is a little lighter and quite chalky, lots of ashy aromas. notes of espresso and roasted malts, hints of dark chocolate. finish has a good bit of earthy herbal hops in the back.

T-chalky and ashy, dark chocolate with notes of smooth espresso. earthy hops in the back with herbal and citrusy notes and a light bitter finish.

M-it has a great smooth feel to it, soft and creamy, full bodied with a crisp bite at the finish.

D-this is a pretty big stout, the coffee is somewhat muted behind the chalk and ash. great feel to it and hides the abv quite well.

cpetrone84, May 19, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +3.5%

I poured from a 16.9 ounce bottle into a nonic. It is jet black with no transluscence, and a fast receding tan head. Coffee, molasses and earth tones rule the interesting smell. The flavor is strong coffee sweetened by molases. The finish is pleasantly bitter and leaves a strong coffee flavor. The beer is a full bodied sipper that exceeded my expectations. The beer is worth the high price.

bonkers, May 12, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

Wow. I was looking forward to this one for a LOOONG time and it did not let me down - at all. The coffee flavors come through VERY nicely in the aroma and taste and it goes down very very smooth. No acidity or over-roasted flavor what-so-ever - this is one I could drink all day long. Very very nice. Can't wait to try it again!!!

Delicious!

thetomG, May 08, 2010
4.22/5  rDev -2.3%

1 PT .9 FL OZ bottle served in my Old Stock snifter at 49 degrees. Poured one shade shy of black with a dense, two inch mocha-colored head that sizzled and popped as it gradually condensed, leaving honeycombs and craters in its wake. Head eventually settles into a soapy skim that coalesces around the edges, but is refreshed with a swirl. Some specks and strands of lacing exposed during the tasting. Huge malt bomb of a nose - it smells sweet and syrupy. Roasty, dark fruit, cocoa, molasses and a coffee quality, but not as much as anticipated. Taste follows nose, but not nearly as bold as the nose would suggest; nonetheless, still very sweet and decadent. Finish starts off sweet, but there is also a slight bitterness that also reveals itself once the sweetness dissipates. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with a light and tingly carbonation. Not viscous, but definitely a slickness to it. There's also a little bit of residual alcohol heat in the mix. A very tasty beer and far superior to Beer Geek breakfast, but a little steep at $13.99 a bottle. Still definitely worth picking this one up if it is truly a one off.

Jwale73, May 08, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Split with Wiseman Zach and JustinA1.

Poured into a Cigar City snifter.

Appearance: Pours out dark and incredibly viscous, producing a huge, foamy, brown head. That head quickly dissipates to a creamy halo; a thin film floats on top of the beer. Body is opaque and very thick-looking. Not a whole lot of lacing.

Smell: Chocolate syrup, oats, cream, and bold, unique coffee aromas. Rich, smoky, sweet, and bold. As it warms, I get maple syrup. Lovely combination of aromas!

Taste: Dark chocolate mousse, molasses, roasted malt, vanilla, and unique coffee-like components. Oats play a nice role. Flavor profile is complex and well-balanced. Finishes mildly bitter, and leaves a nice, dark chocolate flavor lingering in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Very thick, rich, and gritty. Finishes sweet; really conceals the alcohol well. Lots of particulate in this beer, especially toward the bottom - this was a turn-off for Justin and Zach.

Drinkability: Wish I got more than just 5-6 ounces of this. Complex and smooth. Mmmmm....

ThreeWiseMen, May 07, 2010
4.25/5  rDev -1.6%

Served in a Dogfish Head snifter.

Thanks to brundo4 for this beast!
I'm not entirely sure why, but those damn Scandinavians can brew some of the darkest beers I have ever seen. This creature stands nicely among them, no light able to either penetrate its seemingly endless tracts or reflect from its B-2 surface. You ever look at the back of your eyelids in the dark and see nothing but an ever-expanding wasteland of nothingness? I know I have, and the experience is eerily similar to gazing into this brew's hypnotizing (and clearly damned) soul. The luscious inch-plus of foamy burnt siena (I miss using crayons...) on top just makes me feel even closer to this glass. I wanna make my move, but I don't want to come on too strong. (You only get one shot at a looker like this.) Speaking of not coming on too strong, the coffee smells emanate greatly from the surface, combining with some minor amount of chocolate, but don't o'erwhelm. I've gotta move in and sip on this beauty right now! Ahh, it's good to know that my nose doesn't lie to me as much as I have suspected in the past: The coffee and chocolate (though it's closer to cocoa now) make a triumphant parade down the tongue, thickly, stickily, and tastily. Not much else is there, though I think a small pine sapling is trying its best to find some sunlight in the surrounding pitch. It doesn't matter, though, as the flavors' simplicity weave into the double-helix of greatness DNA. Something like that. Bottom line: very tasty. Everything comes together to create a dangerously drinkable demon, sitting atop our doorways' busts of Athena, mocking us with its stoic consistency until we finally give way and lose our minds, succumbing to our darkest, innermost madnesses. Enjoy!

TMoney2591, May 05, 2010
4.2/5  rDev -2.8%

A: A dark and deep black when poured. With a little hue of rich brown. The head was dark tan while it lasted.

S: I get a lot of brown sugar, coffee, and mild chocolate.

T: Great cocoa chocolate with coffee. The roasted malt is great. Nice long finish of the syrup/molasses with hints of coffee.

M/D: Full-body silky smooth. Any qualms one might say about trying this beer fades quickly as soon as it touches your lips.

kylehayworth, Apr 16, 2010
4.25/5  rDev -1.6%

I drank this from a bottle into my Orval glass.

The beer pours black with about a finger of dark tan head. The head stays about one minute, with decent lacing.

The aroma is on the lighter side but very balanced and nice. It starts off very sweet, some wonderful sweet chocolate notes with some vanilla with a finish of coffee.

The taste is a little disappointing after the aroma with so much potential. The taste is pretty much all bitter coffee, not at all balanced, wish it was a little sweeter. I mean the coffee is good actually just all the same.

The feel is nice, coating and has a very lasting taste.

Overall, this was good, but not great. I actually prefer the beer geek brunch as its more balanced.

jrallen34, Apr 12, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

This was another beer split with Andy for our epic beer night.

Poured into my pint glass the beer is dark chocolate brown nearing black. About two fingers of dark khaki head recede to leave a small lace ring around the rim.

The aroma is like a super sweet sugar loaded iced coffee. Hints of molasses and caramel. Light roasted malt and smoke as well. If this is what civet poop smells like I'm gonna get me one.

The flavor is mostly rich coffee and chocolate. Very simialr to regular BGB. It has that bit of campfire to it as well. The finish is earthy with hints of black coffee grounds.

Medium to full body with light carbonation.

Overall a real good beer. However I don't see much difference between this and the regular bruch.

beerwolf77, Apr 10, 2010
3.6/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Chilled bottle into a glass. Shared by mfielden, I believe. Thanks Mark!

A: Pours a pitch black body with a wonderfully dense beige head. Retention is very short, as I'd expect from a 10+% beer. Some trails of bubbles on top of the brew and a little lacing during a swig.

S: Really bitter, roasted coffee in the smell. So this is what that famous cat poop java smells like. Mmm! Molasses and chocolate give it a sweeter note to balance out that very sharp bitterness.

T: If you don't like coffee or poop, this may not be the beer for you. It's very sharp and stinging with a roasted coffee note. I have to say, it's very distinct and unlike any other coffee or coffee stout I've ever had. Molasses, dark chocolate, and a grainy component in the mid-taste that provide some complexity (though not as much as I'd expect from something this big) and balance to the beer. Quite tasty.

M: Smooth as silk; very velvety. I guessed this was an oatmeal stout from the mouthfeel alone: there's always something very smooth and creamy about them. This one is no exception.

D: I'm informed this runs $10, which is a little high, but tolerable for a 500mL bottle (especially taking into account the cost of the coffee). I admit I enjoyed it. I'd pay it again.

Arbitrator, Apr 07, 2010
2.83/5  rDev -34.5%

Unimpressed by the aroma, watery coffee is predominate, but luckly the flavor is better. coffee and big chocolate malts are forefront, only a little alcohol heat. Nice mouthfeel from the Oatmeal: velvety and smooth with a medium/thick body. not really worth the $17 bottle price tag though at all, there are a good amount of Coffee stouts that are better that sell for much lower prices. Kopi Luwak is a huge fad too, it's a joke in the coffee world, but the mainstream world loves its hype. keep up the hype on this. keep it up.

ChadQuest, Apr 07, 2010
4.15/5  rDev -3.9%

A - Massively dense mocha 1 inch head. Leaves to ring fairly fast. Some sudsy lace. Pretty darned black body. Pretty when first poured.

S - Thick coffee and cocoa dominates. Toasty malt is secondary.

T - Big ass mocha drink... wow. Thick as all get out, but bitters, thankfully at the end.

M - Big flavors in, big flavors out. Nice balance for such extreme pulls.

D - Nope. Cannot session this. Palate killer, mouth killer, brain killer. Nice, though.

srandycarter, Apr 07, 2010
4.85/5  rDev +12.3%

A: Deep black, with a thick beige crema head. Soda pop effervescence.

S: Wonderful scents of gourmet coffee and roasted malts.

T: World class. This is one of my favorite beers of all time. I have had this beer several times now, and it's blown me away every time. It's slightly sweet, and the coffee is superb (no matter where it came from). The delicious oatmeal gives the beer a crispness that makes it even tastier and more drinkable. This is a desert island beer for me.

M: Perfect carbonation and buttery smooth.

D: Truly fantastic beer. I'd drink this anytime.

Huhzubendah, Apr 05, 2010
4.08/5  rDev -5.6%

16 oz bottle split and poured into an imperial pint. 10.9% ABV, no date.

Thanks to Beerwolf77 for another black-as-night beer!

A - Totally black with an amazing cascading dark chocolate tan head. Massive dense two-and-a-half finger head with low retention and thin lace that looks like textured translucent laminate. Maybe it's all the left-over civet poop.

S - Dry and bitter roasted malts with mild chocolate and a hint of coffee. A bit disappointing in the coffee level for it being brewed with coffee. Very roasted bitter aroma. The oats barely poke through the finish. No civet poop aroma.

T - Deep roasted malts with a drizzle-hint of molasses and a crumble of chocolate flakes but little in the way of coffee again. The oats poke through a little like the aroma but it falls mainly into the roasted malt area. Again, no civet poop flavor.

M - Full-bodied and smooth with a rich feel and flavor. Soft and round, the oats are a nice touch and balance. Mild balance of sweet malts and bitterness. Not filled with chunks of civet poop either so that's nice.

D - Good flavor and good drinkability for it's rich profile but I'm disappointed in both the lack of coffee and civet poop. (I'm kidding about one of the two. Guess which.)

BeerFMAndy, Mar 28, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I split this bottle with a buddy of mine. It is listed as an imperial stout but it reminded me a lot of peche mortel-coffee stout all the way. Lactose and fine coffee on the nose with a hint of poo? kidding about the poo! No alcohol to mention and extremely velvety with lots of coffee upfront, in the middle, and at the end. The coffee flavors just changed from tannic upfront to dark roasted to a lively tart bite at the end. I must seek for any BA. Glad I dropped the coin on it

tippebrewcrew2, Mar 23, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

Got this one from dontcostnuthin. Thanks dude. It's not distributed in Cali

pours a dark black with a nice tan head. A little lacing.

Aroma is awesome. Lots of coffee but a weird coffee. I have never had the opportunity to have this coffee before but it intrigues me. Nice roastyness and a little malti sweetness in the background.

Tastes exactly as it smells. Lots of coffee but smooth and different with roasty black malts. Very tasty.

Mouthfeel is good. Maybe a little viscous.

The viscosity makes this hard to finish a whole bottle but it is very tasty. Find it if you can

PeprSprYoFace, Mar 22, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured this into a snifter. The body is black, black, black with a thin tan head and webbed lacing all around the glass. Looks impressive.

Nice coffee aroma on the nose, chocolate, rich dark roasted malts and some sweet, light, bourbon notes. The coffee is definitely there, but not as intense as the Beer Geek Breakfast. The aroma is much more balanced on this beer.

Rich, chocolaty, coffee on the tongue. Chocolate notes are almost bittersweet. Nice roasted dark malt backbone adds a touch of bitterness along with the coffee. However, there is less coffee bitterness in this stout than many other coffee stouts I've had. Again, this is well balanced. I guess the Weasel coffee beans are as smooth as they say.

Mouthfeel is decently thick, but maybe on the lighter side for an almost 11% ABV stout. Quite smooth, ample carbonation and some warming alcohol.

Drinkability is good. You get your coffee fix with this beer, but its not overdone, which makes it more drinkable. At almost 11% ABV this one is a sipper, but an enjoyable sipper. Due to the balance of this beer I could enjoy an entire bottle by myself.

Overall, the Brunch Weasel trumps the Beer Geek Breakfast. This is a well put together coffee stout. Mikkeller upped the quality on this one, but unfortunately drove up the price as well. It was fun to try this beer once, but with other coffee offerings like Peche Mortel and Coffee Bender, I don't think I'll be picking this one up again. Definitely a good stout, but not good enough for the price.

sisuspeed, Mar 14, 2010
4.25/5  rDev -1.6%

This one comes courtesy of imperialking who is the man when it comes to knocking beers off of my wants list.

A: The pour is black with a thin tan head on top which has some very nice retention and lacing.

S: The nose is definitely heavy on the coffee with plenty of roasted malt as well.

T: I was surprised that the flavor had the level of depth that it did. Certainly lots of coffee and roasted malt, but a nice amount of chocolate with a touch of smokiness.

M: The body is medium with a slightly tingly carbonation which I wasn't expecting.

D: Probably the best Mikkeller beer I've had to date. Great coffee flavor and aroma and a solid all around beer.

womencantsail, Mar 08, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Outstanding look of pure black body with a massive brown head that is as thick as a cloud. Tons of lacing.

Lots of smoke and chocolate. Almost like a chipotle chocolate bar. Awesome.

Delicious and complex. Roasty malt, chocolate, moderate amount of coffee and light smoke. Nice light hop presence as well. Great blend that works perfectly.

Velvety soft carbonation in a full bodied beer that finishes dry.

Drinks easy and beautifully. All around awesome. Worth a try at least once in your life.

jera1350, Mar 06, 2010