Beer Geek Brunch Weasel - Mikkeller ApS

Denmark

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.90% ABV

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 01-02-2009

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.

Imperial oatmeal stout brewed with coffee. Ingredients: Water, malts, hops, yeast and Vietnamese ca phe chon coffee.
4.83/5  rDev +11.8%

A - Pitch black color, even on the hues. Large, incredibly thick, creamy, rocky, sticky, cafe colored head with amazing retention that finally settles into a nice creamy, sticky layer of lace. Looks amazing.

S - Wonderful smelling beer. Rich coffee is obviously strong but there is also a strong dark chocolate and roasted dark malt aroma. Good amount of caramel and molasses sweetness as well. Some nutty and earthy aroma and a touch of alcohol are also vaguely present in the background.

T - Strong roasted espresso starts off the taste. Quickly rich chocolate, caramel, molasses, and cream flavors come in to provide a touch of sweetness along with the coffee taste. A touch of earthy, nuttiness comes out mid sip as well. A good amount of vanilla is also present and just a hint of anise. Roasted oatmeal has a good undertone throughout the sip that doesn't dominate but provides a bit of a backbone to the beer. Delicious, rich coffee is persistent along with a nice chocolate and sweetness to balance out the roasted bitterness.

M - Medium body with a good amount of carbonation. Smooth and creamy. Just a bit of a chewiness, but not as much I was expecting from an oatmeal stout.

D - Very easy to drink beer with a nice balance of coffee and other flavors, especially the sweeter ones.

Notes: Bottled 03/11/08. Very good coffee stout. Strong coffee flavor, but also has a good amount of traditional oatmeal stout flavor, and a nice chocolaty and sweetness (and some creaminess). Went incredibly well with breakfast. Wonderful beer, definitely worth picking up.

4.22/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured into a snifter. Big thanks to mbrasi for this.

4.5 A: Pitch black. Two plus fingers of creamy/frothy hyrbrid medium brown head. Very good retention and moderate spotty lacing.

5.0 S: Really nice here. Rich depth of aroma, probably from the poop residue, haha. In all seriousness, great balance between the sweet and the roasted. Good bit of roasted barley, some toastiness, medium roasted coffee, and loads of semi-sweet chocolate. Everything is big, bold, and complementary.

4.0 T: Taste is very good as well, but not as good as the nose. Roastiness is plentiful and gives a decent bitterness, cancelling out the lack of bitterness from the shit beans. Coffee flavor is plentiful, but much of the chocolate in the nose is not present here. Blackstrap molasses, slight citrusy hoppiness, and the smallest touch of plum fruitiness. Alcohol is hidden fairly well.

3.5 M: Medium body. This is the only problem I have with this brew. The body is lighter and less chewy than I'd like. The carbonation is fine, but the beer still feels dead. Warming alcohol on finish.

4.0 D: Awesome appearance and nose. Pretty good taste. Mouthfeel could be a lot thicker though.

4.18/5  rDev -3.2%

I was sent this beer from the generous ptykozoon in a recent trade. Trying to get some work done in my office and figured I'd pull this one out to help me along. Poured into the only glass I currently have in here - my Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale snifter. I can't help but sit back and reflect on the fact that I'm about to drink weasel shit - this is great!

The pour reveals a very deep dark brown beer producing an impressive two-finger mahogany (yes, it really is that dark) head. I haven't drunk a beer with a head this dark since my last Hunahpu's. The foam diminishes fairly rapidly leaving an impressive swirled pattern on the top of my beer. Small islands of thicker foam remain throughout the session and small amounts of lace are left on the side of my glass. This is a good looking beer...absolutely zero light can be seen coming through - even at the edges.

I'm surprised to find that coffee is actually not the dominant smell. While it is definitely in there (and very good) it plays second fiddle to the dark chocolate. A very roasty smelling beer that has a bit of nuttiness to it as well. A small amount of alcohol is also present. There is one other smell in there that I can't quite place...I'm really hoping I can come up with it by the end of the brew, as I quite enjoy it!

Well the coffee certainly makes its grand entrance in the flavor profile. This beer has a very potent taste, being led by coffee. The coffee is extremely roasty, with perhaps even a touch of smoke as well. It almost tastes like they just crushed up the coffee beans and dumped them in. Bitter chocolate is still present and is even more recognizable in the aftertaste. There is a slightly noticeable licorice component toward the finish. This beer really lingers well after I have swallowed. The 10%+ alcohol is noticeable, but with such vigorous flavor, it is certainly not obvious. Fortunately, the taste of weasel shit is not evident.

I expected the beer to be a bit thicker than it actually is. Having talked with others who have tried it, I was just a bit underwhelmed by a bit thinner mouthfeel than I anticipated. Carbonation is perfect.

This one took quite a while to finish. Not because there is anything wrong with its drinkability, but the flavor lingers for so long after my last drink, I'm in no hurry to pick it again.

Consumed: 8/8/2010

4.51/5  rDev +4.4%

I've been curious about this beer and the coffee it's brewed with for a looong time.

This is one black as fuck beer. Seriously, light is afraid of this thing, even the head is a deep mocha color, out of fear of offending the liquid beneath it no doubt.

This has a deceptively sublte aroma, nice roasted malt, some coffee character, but very, very subtle.

ok. This is more than I can really handle. I do no possess he capabilies to fully appreciate the amazing, and yet somehow demented nature of this beer. Good job, you Danish bastard.... Dark chocolate, coffee (duH), black licorice, earth, weasel shit (a mother of a gourmand of a weasel at that), mud after a spring rain, a bit of Chtulu, serious stuff this is, seriously. This beer is a shitshow...this is brewed with the blood of the Old Gods, or I'm way too messed up from the sensory shockwave that this beer has wreaked upon my fragile sense of self to comprehend. I also as my friend Alan sagely pointed out, it has a faint taste of poo bitterness. And chocolate covered cherries...I can go on, but I may just amend this review after I drink my other bottle (I bought two...so far).

Surprisingly light body and smooth mouthfeel for a beer of this ABV. The alcohol only only makes it's presence known towards the end as it warms up.

I just want to keep drinking this until I figure it out...it drinks well, very well. I'm not sure when I will brave another bottle of this, but I doubt I will be any more prepared.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Review from notes taken on 6/18/10. I shared this bottle along with the normal beer geek breakfast at a small sampling at my place. The two other participants were explained the difference between the beers and they eagerly partook. Both of them sipped this brew and absolutely hated it. I enjoyed it enough that I was both surprised and excited to drink their share. Onward with my review.

Pours a super dark brown to black color that for the most part is, well...black. The head receeds fast but initially appeared as a very dark brown color. All that remains is a ring around the inside perimeter of the glass.

The nose of this brew has an aroma that is very earthy and just different. The scent of hops, burnt grains and coffee are the usual and expected players here but something quite strange seems different...weird...and uninvited to the party coming across well just different and earthy with a bit of a mineral-like almost metallic character.

The taste of this brew is bitter upfront like a dark roasted espresso blended with hops. There is a lasting flavor of burnt grains and alcohol with a citrus pop of hops a little piney tasting. The big alcohol presence brings all of the flavor together.

Medium to heavy bodied brew with a moderate amount of carbonation. Quite smooth in the feel despite the bold bitterness and alcohol punch. It was an enjoyable time to share some with 2 other people, to drink an entire bottle by myself might not be done easily.

A second serving produces a creamy head with retension better than the initially cold pour. As it warms up beyond ideal temperatures more chocolate character comes out. Also, the nose reminds me of the taste you get in your mouth if you put metal in it...literally I mean it. It sounds stupid but you know you have done it. The citrus zing of the hops caught me off guard compared to all the other flavors going on in this brew. This is a big bold, in your face beer. All in all I feel this is a good, worthwhile brew to try and the most scatter-brained I have ever thought/wrote in a review. This might be a good one to hold on to for awhile till the alcohol mellows out but at the same time you need to try one ASAP before the unique coffee flavor trails off.

3.93/5  rDev -9%

Had this at Dvelcich's tasting on 07.31.10 - reviewed from notes. This was brought and shared by Oreo -- bad user name, but good guy!

So this is a shit beer, as in it literally uses shit in the some where in the brewing process. (yes, I understand that it is the coffee beans that are eaten and defacated undigested and those are what is the shit, but still).
Ok, let's do it.

Pours a deep dark dark dark dark brown. I'm running out of natural light to hold it up to, but it is definately opaque with some reddish hints around the edges. There are some reddish hiues in the head too, which was about a half finger of creamy color tight bubbles.

Smells malty with some sweetness-- dry malts, coffee, and chocolate.

Took a sip and wow is this thick. So thick and creamy it is hard to describe. Really full-bodied.

Chocolate and espresso notes lead the way with lots of flavor-- perhaps a hint of earthiness.

This is surprisingly drinkable. I am impressed.

4.45/5  rDev +3%

Served from tap into an imperial pint. Pours black with a one finger tan head that remains throughout. Maintains nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of coffee, caramel, chocolate, and malt. The flavor was of coffee, dark chocolate, malt, caramel, and a creamy followthrough with a lingering coffee flavor upon swallowing. It was heavy on the palate with low carbonation. Overall this quite was a nice brew in all aspects. Not lacking on anything at all. Just wish it were easier to find... Thanks for this one Mikkeller!

3.05/5  rDev -29.4%

Bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Pours pitch black with medium brown head. Left lacing on the glass as I drank.
S - Smells of rich coffee and dark chocolate malty goodness.
T - Malty and chocolate upfront and an extremely bitter coffee finish with some heat from the alcohol. The bitterness faded as I drank more, could have been that I got used to it, could have been the alcohol and bitterness numbing my taste buds so I couldn't taste it anymore.
M - Smooth, somewhat creamy. Nothing special, nothing bad about it.
D - Low. The coffee bitterness is too much for me. I would not have another.

Disappointed by the bitterness in this brew. I was excited to try it, but ended up being let down. If you enjoy rich, bitter coffee, I think you would love this beer.

3.82/5  rDev -11.6%

2010 vintage poured into a glass from a 500ml bottle.

A - Looks what a stout should look like. Poured black with a one finger mocha colored head that faded into a ring around the glass. Lacing was awesome and slowly crawled down the glass.

S - Boy, for it being brewed with coffee sure not getting much. Mostly ashy tobacco and smoky aromas. Also get some roasted malts and some carmel and toffee. Not enough coffee.

T - Creamy, chocolate but not much coffee taste either. Some spicy hop bitterness and smoke. The alcohol is evident and not completely hidden, but not overly harsh.

M - Very smooth and creamy and medium bodied. Not overly carbonated, I would say just right.

D - I would say this is a sipper. One pint would be just enough. Not overly drinkable but still a good beer. Wish I had reviewed the '09, because this was not equal to that vintage.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Great story behind this beer.

A-Nice and thick. What a stout should look like. Dark and slimy.

S-complex. coffee, cocoa bean, chocolate, roasted goodness.

T-more complex than the nose. a nice earthy taste drives it home. The taste is beautiful and organic. All the best stout flavors are here along with some unique extras.

M-Thick. booze is well hidden. Slick and slimy. All good.

D-If you don't allow the methods behind the beer's creation get to you, you will fall in love with the taste of this beer. Very complex, and very delicious.

4.38/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer pours a thick black color with a light brown head. The beer pours like motor oil. The aroma is coffee with some chocolate and roasted malt notes. The flavor is very strong coffee with some chocolate. I also get some roasted or burnt malt. The beer is very dry. Thick mouthfeel and low to medium carbonation. Awesome.

4.15/5  rDev -3.9%

Thanks awalk1227!

A: Pitch black, impressive Khaki head. Some surprisingly sticky lacing

S: Caoco nibs, unsweetened chocolate. Fresh beans are present but cannot dominate over the impression of chocolate. A little string of alcohol.

T: A great balance of fudge like chocolate and roasted beans. Coffee apect is delicate rather than boisterous. Alcohol is less apparent than in the nose. Im mising the oats here, I thought the base beer is an oatmeal stout.

M/D: Thick and notably coating. Aftertaste is similar to eating a piece of fudge and drinking a cup of coffee. 11% is barely noticable in the taste. Can be sipped slowly but I finished my glass pretty quick.

4.32/5  rDev 0%

Tasted at the Slaintemehor animal call tastefest 7.23.2010.

Dark brown opaque body, brown head, medium dissipation with some lacing. Huge frickin' coffee hit in the nose, some roasted malt. Taste replicates the nose, with grainy nuances from oatmeal to balance the huge coffee hit. Mouthfeel is medium full, with a lingering acidic bitter coffee finish. Glad I drank this, but not sure I want to have this 'shitty' beer again, though I'm thinking about getting a civet:-).

4.08/5  rDev -5.6%

A: Pours a pitch black body with a foamy dark toffee head that leaves a thick, smoky lacing.

S: Pure cocoa, roasted coffee bean and oats are the stars here with cinnamon, alcohol and smoked meat as a supporting cast.

T: Very smooth coffee and roasted malts, slightly on the sweet side but with some acidity. Laces your mouth with tobacco - pipe tobacco. Get a quick shot of the alcohol. A slightly bitter cocoa finish. Intense.

M: Leaves your mouth tingling and salivating, and coats it with tobacco - like the best cigar you've had. Maybe the beer's strongest point.

D: It's absurdly heavy and intense and not that drinkable for the style. Take it slow.

4.46/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

16.9oz bottle served in SN 30 goblet.

A: Pours an inky black with a three finger head the color of wet sand. Head recedes at a nice leisurely pace and sticky remnants cling to the side of the glass.

S: Slightly sweet. Smooth, chocolately coffee aroma. Just a little charred. Espresso beans. Overall the aroma is subdued.

T: Wow. I like coffee beers and this is probably the most pronounced and genuine coffee flavor I've come across in a beer (CW Peruvian Morning a close 2nd). Coffee up front followed by some chocolately roasted malt, and guess what, finishes with some coffee. No hint whatsoever of the 10.9% abv. Lingering aftertaste of...coffee. Not terribly complex, just a lot of delicious, amazing coffee.

M: Quite viscous and slick. The oatmeal lends a beatifully soft and smooth feel.

D: I could see how this one could get tiresome due to the lack of complexity or the intense coffee. I enjoyed this from start to finish, but I am a coffee lover.

This has long been a want of mine and I was not dissapointed. Big-ups to jmhart for sending me this one via trade. Thanks Jeffrey! If you are only a casual coffee fan you might not appreciate this as much as others. Bottom line: high quality coffee leads to authentic coffee flavor. If you like big stouts and coffee, you need to get one of these.

4.52/5  rDev +4.6%

Looks: like ink. The beer pours from the bottle an impenetrable, stygian black. A tiny head of dark cinnamon fades to a thick filmy layer, but never quite dissipates completely. As I drink, tan bubbles stick to the glass in latte-esque sheets of foamy delight.

Smells: like the coffee aisle. Deep aromas of espresso, bacon, burnt toast, some tangy dark fruits. One of the more overpowering coffee aromas I've experienced in a beer.

Tastes: like espresso. Oh yeeeaaahhh. The profound char of roasted coffee flavors overtakes the tongue like a first sip of morning joe, balancing bitterness with the perfect amount of sweetness. Flavors of maple syrup and bunt toast peek out just a bit, but this is coffee all the way.

Feels: perfect. It's creamy but not too rich, decadent but not overpowering. The carbonation is subtle, the body is full, and I am a happy man.

Drinks: like triumph over convention. Eccentric? Yes. An unusual application of bizarre ingredients and flavors? Certainly. But dammit; if drinking weasel poop is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

4.57/5  rDev +5.8%

What a great find at Higgins in Portland! Very reasonably priced too.

A - Poured black as night with about 1 finger of head, which dissipated down to about a quarter of a ring. Carbonation was very low. Looks very viscous.

S/T - Where do I start? Lots of coffee up front with sort of a chocolatey flavor followed by cherry and raspberry flavor. I can tell Mikeller spared no expense to deliver some great coffee flavor, but I don't need to tell Mikeller how good it is, cause they know it is good coffee. And when the lady buys it, it's shit.

Getting back to the beer itself, ample amounts of chocolate with the slightest hint of bittering hops.

The only disappointing aspect of this beer is that the label states it is an oatmeal stout, which makes me question the amount used and the label. The head was minimal and there was little to no residual sweetness, which is fairly common for this ingredient. Otherwise very excellent.

M - Perhaps the richest beer I've had in bodiness, which is possibly from the cold pressed infusion of civet coffee. Definitely malt dominated and hides the alcohol well. However, as the beer warms up and as it finishes toward the end, there is more of a noticeable alcohol feel.

D - Definitely unique in its own right partially due to the civet coffee added to the beer. Very excellent, wish I could have more. Never thought I'd recommend a beer that came from an animal's rectum, but I'll gladly make an exception here.

4.22/5  rDev -2.3%

Here comes the weasel in a 500 ml serving. And forget the fancy tulip, bring on a manly imperial pint glass. On to the beer:

Don't look now, but it's...um, black. The tanned head shows good retnetion, and the lacing is good as well. Here comes the coffee in the nose. It's got a mocha kind of aroma, with lots of chocolate note crammed. My nose likes it a lot.

Is this coffee? I don't drink much coffee, but this is probably the most cofeeish beer I've consumed, and for those who know me, I love my coffee stouts. Lots of coffee, the bitter type, some amount of mocha. The alcohol is disguised nicely despite being at 10.9%, and it drinks easy for its size. The best part is the feel. It's thick, so smooth, and if this counts for anything, is pleasantly sticking to my mouth. Roasted bitterness lingets long in the aftertaste.

Beer Geek Brunch Weasel (BGBW) is a head spinner with all that coffee flavor packed in a beer. While I like it, I'm more fond of the smaller Beer Geek Breakfast, as that isn't as over the top as this. That being said, if you're a coffee nut, you need to try this creation.

4.47/5  rDev +3.5%

A- Pours very almost black, and appears jet black in the glass. Large foamy brown head that slowly fades away to a thin layer.

S- Charred malts, dark chocolate, robust java beans.

T- Strong coffee bean, but not to dry or roasty.. its a delicious nose. Followed by a dark chocolate that has that slight dark berry taste and hints of vanilla bean. Slight roasted malt finish. The near 11% ABV is well hidden.

M- Full bodied, silky smooth and a full flavorful coating on the palate.

D- Terrific all around, the smell, taste, feel. Just fantastic.

4.18/5  rDev -3.2%

Sweet unexpected find at a local beer store. Almost traded for this bad boy a couple weeks earlier. 1 PT bottle of the cat poop beer...

A: Awesome! Super dark black with nothing shining through. A super thick 2 inch deep dark mocha colored head that fades at a decent pace. Perfection!

S: Smells very good. Roasty coffee upfront with some thick oatmeal. Some dark fruit in the middle with a very nice vanilla / cocao touch on the backend. Some very well balance wood scents blended in there. I get some milky chocolate in the middle. Very good.

T: I cannot believe I am going to be sipping cat poop coffee beans, but here I go. Heavy roastiness upfront blended with an interesting flavor I cannot quite put my finger on. The more I drink it that more I think it is a carbonated wine type flavor. Nice balanced oatmeal, coffee, chocolate, vanilla, and cocao in the middle. Interesting raisin and dark fruit blend on the backend. The brew is a little too roasty and carbonated for me, but still good.

M: A hint too overcabonated for my taste. Good.

D: Once you get past the carbonation and the fact the you're drinking big cat poop, then it goes down surprisingly easy. Good.

All in all, I did not know what to expect from a brew with such an interesting process. The thought of drinking coffee beans picked out of cat poop and brewed in my beer is, I have to admit, a little odd. However, this is surprisingly good. A little too roasty for my taste, but still very well balance compared to many roasty brews. I think this could be compared to Great Lakes Barrel Aged Blackout Stout. It reminds of this brew a lot in the taste. This one is just not as well balanced as that one is. I'd definitely say, if you can get past the brewing process, that you need to give this brew a try at least once.

4.42/5  rDev +2.3%

Stouts for summer. Why not? While lots of folks are reaching for a pilsner or pale ale, I figured I'd go the opposite direction, drinking some stouts, which I usually prefer to have in the dead of winter.

Reading the label makes me nervous. I'm drinking a beer made with weasel poo. Okay then. Let's try it out. 16.9 ounce bottle oured into a snifter glass. Pour reminds me of chocolate syrup, with a quarter inch dark tan head. Nice dark brown to black color. Smell is incendiary, with burnt chocolate, a little coffee, and tons of roasted notes. Some alcohol is there as well. The first taste is quite warming, with notes of wood and raspberry/cherry cascading down with coffee and roasted chocolate flavors. It's a thick beer, the sipping kind. Feels like I should be snowed in someplace drinking this for warmth. As the beer warms the flavors expand, running the gamet from somewhat fruity and sweet to somewhat bitter and roasted. Really complex stuff. Gets better the longer you drink it. Nicely done.

Poured into a snifter on 7/14/10

Even while pouring into the glass, the color is very dark; a robust shade of scorched crimson brown. Once settles it's jet black. The slow pour was able to produce one finger of fairly dark brown foam. Said foam holds for a few moments, eventually thinning to a decent skim, leaving a little bit of lace. Swirling helps.

The nose is rather no-frills. Bold aromas more than make recompense for what it lacks in subtle complexity. Coffee isn't quite as assertive as I might like but it's accentuated by smooth chocolate notes, roasted dark malts, hints of oatmeal & a touch of earthy hops. Burnt overtones. Nice balance between sweet & dry. Wisps of alcohol avoid a boozy perception.

The intensity of the nose speaks nothing to how this beer tastes; no lie, it's loaded for bear. Sweet chocolate creeps in around the edges, supporting a quick kick of citric hops. Coffee notes are mellow in general, imparting a modest roast note. Sugary, dark malts are notable as well. However, burnt flavors outshine the roasted ones. Some folks might find these burnt tones off-putting; I, on the other hand, like them. They also act to counteract the sweetness of the beer. Oatmeal notes become more apparent the warmer it gets.

This is one seriously full-bodied stout; dense, incredibly viscous & darn near chewy. It has some slickness & it has some grit; actually a rather good balance between the two. Considering the abv, it's impressive the lack of appreciable alcohol heat. Lots of burnt residuals linger on the finish.

Beer Geek Brunch is a really great beer, as far as I'm concerned. Some accounts indicate this batch isn't nearly as good as previous ones. As this is my first bottle I can't compare; if this beer has indeed been better, it really must have been something special. Like I mentioned above, I really enjoy burnt flavors in stouts so this beer doesn't bother me in the least. Recommended.

4.03/5  rDev -6.7%

2010 batch. Had I been a ticker back when the 2009 batch was fresh, it probably would have been one of my highest rated beers ever. This was a bit underwhelming :(

But still a great beer :P

Looks nice, a dark black opaque beer with a brown head.

Smell is coffee, roasted malt, some cream sweetness, and a cherry pie note I don't remember in the original. Coffee and malt are well balanced. Batch 1 was a 4.5, just a tad short of perfection, but this took a step back.

Taste is good. Nice coffee that is actually quite pronounced but balanced vs the rest of the flavors. The malt gives it depth and chocolate. The hops are just a touch citric. The cherry pie is there but the roast takes over. Some black strap. Some licorice. Nice, deep flavor. Batch 1 was a straight up 5 as I recall.

Mouthfeel is just a touch thin. And drinkability is nice but nothing world class. I enjoy sharing this beer with others, it's a great example of how coffee can add without taking over. I really hope the next batch recovers its former greatness. Will purchase again next year, and would LOVE to try one of the barrel aged versions.

3.45/5  rDev -20.1%

Appearance is what you expect of such a highly rated imperial stout; pitch black with a thick foamy tan head and heavy lacing. In the aroma, we get a lot of hop freshness, freshly ground coffee beans, some milk-stout like lactic acidity and vanilla sweetness and a bit of spice (maybe fresh ginger). Taste comes in vanilla-sweet at first and turns into heavy coffee bitterness that leaves a very dry long lasting finale as a mouthfeel. A bit of extra smokiness and vanilla in the taste with warming alcohol. A little too much coffee flavors and the palate was a little too dry. Very hard to drink.

3.32/5  rDev -23.1%

I can't believe I'm drinking poop.

Thick, syrupy dark brown pour. Sits opaque black in my glass. 2 finger dark tan head. Archipelago of retention wraps around my glass and leaves a few lacey marks. Looks like a big, dark, bad-ass beer.

Smell is awesome. Molasses, musky spiced rum, raisins and figs and lots and lots of roast malt. Smells like a kitten puncher.

Tastes...odd. A very dark, earthy...something. Honestly it taste like coal with an acrid, drying fade. It's just not very good. It has the sharp coffee bitterness down pat but lacks any balance to take away from such harshness.

I'm not a fan and this is coming from me, a big fan of poo.

Beer Geek Brunch Weasel from Mikkeller ApS