Beer Geek Brunch Weasel - Mikkeller ApS

Denmark

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.90% ABV

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 01-02-2009

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.

Imperial oatmeal stout brewed with coffee. Ingredients: Water, malts, hops, yeast and Vietnamese ca phe chon coffee.
Reviews: 790 | Hads: 2,601
3.9/5  rDev -9.3%

500 mL bottle tried 19 Feb 2011.  Served in ~300 mL Maudite snifter.  Courtesy of OrgasmicChemist, thanks!

Small dark brown head.  Lightly carbonated.  Very dark brown in color. Aroma of coffee, loamy, earthy.  Hard to describe but nice.  Roasty also.  Starts roasty sweet.  Lots of coffee, lightly sweet.  Earthy.  Astringent in the finish.  Dark fruits, maybe raspberry.  Some hoppy bitterness in the finish.  More raspberry in aroma as it warms.  Lots of sediment.

Probably the best thing I ever ate that came out an animals bowels...

A says like a raspberry orange at Christmas. (599 characters)

3.89/5  rDev -9.5%

500 ml bottled that's been cellared about 6 months. Pour is jet black with a nice inch head. Lots of stickiness with this beer.

The nose is absolutely awesome. First you're punched in the face by the coffee, which is definitely a dark and bitter brew, then you're thrown dark chocolate, roasted malts, and a nutty aroma.

The taste is pretty one sided in my opinion. All I could really pull out of this brew was coffee, chocolate, and alcohol. The heat is quite apparent.

The mouthfeel is interesting as well: medium amount of carbonation and the beer is THICK. Nice combination.

The drinkability on this guy is low. Splitting a bottle between some friends is probably the best way to go. (691 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

Thanks to FooFaa for sharing this unusually made and rather pricey brew.

A-Dark black/brown with a medium tan head that reduced to patchy foam and left spotty lace.

S-An odd combination I just couldnt get around. It wasnt "bad" but it wasnt "good" either. Alcohol heat, earth, wood, coffee grounds, musty....complex for sure but it just didnt click for me.

T-Earthy, bitter, dark roasted coffee with a bit of chocolate and woody undertones. Much better on the palate than in the aroma.

M-Medium-heavy bodied and quite smooth. This is still feeling a bit hot and might do some good lying down for a while.

D-Certainly good and well crafted but for the $$ this one didnt hit a home run for me. Plus, does it have to be almost 11%? I am glad to have had the chance to try this brew but I wouldnt seek it out again. Easily outclassed by Planet Bean on this night! (865 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured into a goblet.

A - pitch black, like strong black coffee. 1/4 inch head and dissipates right away.

S - Strong acidic coffee smell. I've never had weasel coffee before, but it has a very unique aroma.

T - Coffee, espresso, slightly acidic, bitter finish that hangs around the throat.

M - Thin, acidic. Very unique.

D - The lingering coffee bitterness makes this a little tough to throw down quickly, but definitely drinkable over an hour or so sitting.

Interesting jelly like sludge at the bottom of the bottle. Weasel poop!! (538 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -10.2%

Bottle. Pours opaque black with a thick brown head. I don't get how this one is different than any other coffee type stout. The nose it quite roasty and full of coffee. Sure, its tasty. Lots of coffee and chocolate with a smooth bitterness. Leave a licorice or anise after taste. That's a bit different. Not special though. Chewy body an silky mouthfeel. I look at the score that I'm giving this beer and it doesn't really fit with my comments. When is said and done this is on par with Founders Breakfast Stout, Peche Mortel, and Speedway. (540 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -10.2%

Poured into pint glass.

Appearance: Deep brown, almost black, espresso like in color, heavy rich tan head that quickly fades.

Smell: Roasted malt, coffee, smoked wood, hints of chocolate.

Taste: just like it smells, roasted malt, strong coffee taste, and notes of chocolate throughout.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, rich, creamy.

Overall: A very good imperial oatmeal stout. If you can find a bottle, by all means don't pass up the opportunity. (443 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

I was very excited to try this beer, especially after watching "The Bucket List".

Poured a dark brownish black. Not an overly active head, but not bad.

Aromas of roasted malt and black coffee. I was expecting it to be sharper, but it was just regular (no pun intended)

The flavor was good, but I was not overwhelmed, especially given the price (about $16 a bottle). Typical flavors you would expect in a coffee stout.

Mouthfeel was striking, in that it was very dry and left an extremely dry palate. I am used to oatmeal stouts feeling softer. This reminded me more of sipping black coffee.

Overall, this was a decent beer, but to me it was definitely more "gimmicky" than substantive. I would drink again if offered, but I wouldn't drop the cash for another bottle. (771 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

Ok, so what we have here is a Norwegian Imperial Stout brewed with coffee beans that have been shat out of the digestive tract of some forest-dwelling critter. I never thought I'd see the day. Let's see if I can get through this review with nary a poop-joke.

First off, this is a 500ml bottle, with no mention of how much, if any, mammal fecal matter (MFM) is contained in every chunky sip. I'm not sure if that's a blessing or what. So with a resigned sigh and with my intestines clenched in trepidation, I crack the cap and pour a good portion of this into my accepting glass.

I have to say, the beer doesn't look crappy at all. It's a fizzy, deep black with red highlights and boasts a tightly clenched lacy head that leaves little smears down the sides of my glass as I take this beer into my mouth. So far so good...

Smell-wise, I am both relieved and saddened at the complete lack of weasel-cat bowel movement aroma. But what I do smell is a sort of coffee black-hole, going on and on into a sticky, wet, espresso ending. Deep acrid notes bring back memories of the burnt coffee stuck to Uncle Franklin's pot during those 6am archeological digs for buried pirate treasure. He loved taking me on those. But I digress. There is also here a good amount of hop bitterness, spruce and juniper, and the whole thing is sweet and big-smelling. So to sum up: Coffee, burnt stuff, piney hops, sugar. No cat poop, yet.

Alright, so I finally break down enough to put this beer into my uppermost orifice reserved for such things. If living in the Village in the early 70s taught me anything it's that there is no sense in approaching things involving potential poo half-arsed. At least I think that was the lesson. I raise my goblet to my lips and take a big gulp of Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch Weasel.

... ... ...

Huh! Nope, not getting any doodie in the flavor, either! False advertising? Not sure... but what I did taste is sweet, black stuff, lots of espresso, almost harsh, quite rich, and bittersweet. There's cocoa, and more than expected hops, along with warming alcohol. This is a Big Stout. Very flavorful. Interesting, but not THAT far removed from Black Hole or Beer Geek Brunch. Rather intense, as many Mikkeller beers are wont to be. I'm sure the oats contribute to the slick mouthfeel. I keep waiting to burp up cat fur or hack up a dead mouse like a spotted owl I saw once on a PBS special, but the only thing I'm getting out of this thick, syrupy beer is a warming sensation that dribbles down my throat.

Is it drinkable? I suppose that depends on how much you like novelty. At the price point of $14 a bottle, I wouldn't be reaching around in my friend's cellar for it again anytime soon, but then, you may like your poop a little more than I doo. Ultimately, Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch Weasel is interesting, but probably overrated. At least now I can say I've tried civit-poop beer. No shite. (2,911 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

500 ml bottle picked up at Capones in Philly. Drank side by side with the Beer Geek Breakfast.

Pours an opaque dark brown/black, light red in the far edges, medium sized light brown head forms, quickly settles to a thin ring around the glass, no real lacing but it looks alright. Smell is neat, intense grapefruit hoppiness like the Breakfast, big coffee roast, chocolate, caramel and brown sugar sweetness, nice fruitiness, strawberries and melon, more roast, molasses, pretty nice. Taste is nice, very caramelized and toasty, molasses and brown sugar, chocolate, raisins and orange, neat citrus character, like grapefruit, citrus kind of acidity, significant bitterness from the coffee, strange kind of metallic flavour going down. Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with low carbonation. Smooth for the ABV, but just doesn't do it for me, and the coffee isn't as big as I would like. (887 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

I'm tired and want to watch basketball...

The basics: $14.49/500ml bottle (WTF!) and 10.9% ABV (ok then)...

Super dense and opaque brown to black. Nice short creamy head. Decent lacing.

Nice coffee notes. Some alcohol present. I get a barrel aging characteristic, too, but not sure...Nothing unique but very nice...

Flavor is very rich. It has an almost floral quality to it. Very unique. Lots of coffee right upfront, then it moves into an almost Irish Cream thing...Pretty cool...Finish is bitter and carries some alcohol. Lots of nice roasted chocolate malt tones in here too...Good beer but not at this price point...

What I like most: The unique robust and roasty flavor profile.

What I like least: The Price and lack of unique qualities in the aroma and appearance...

Verdict: At this price point there are many as good or better. It is unique in its flavor profile and worth trying... (898 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -10.9%

Thanks to Jason for including this one in a recent box. Not a huge coffee stout fan, but I have been surprised on occasion. Poured thick and black and oily with minimal head on top. Aromas of rich, strong coffee and dark chocolate. On the palate, this one is oily and slightly thin with flavors of coffee, roasted malt and chocolate. (333 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -10.9%

Poured from the bottle into my comically huge CBS snifter.

A - Pours pitch black with two fingers worth of dark tan head. Fairly viscous, but completely opaque once in the glass. A very nice looking beer.

S - Huge roasted malts and coffee blended into a very nice nose. A very nice chocolatey background to it as well. Leans more towards the sweet smeel of the chocolate than the bitter smell of the coffee. A nice blend overall, though.

T - Taste follows closely from the nose, though there is a bit of a dark fruit presence in the mouth that was not noticeable in the smell. The roasted malts seem to come through the most behind the fruity quality, with the chocolate and coffee taking more of a back seat in this one. Not as well integrated as the nose, but still pleasant overall.

M - A little overcarbonated, but altogether nice. No burn at all even for a nearly 11% beer.

O - Overall a solid beer. Not something I would revisit very regularly, but maybe once a year. (979 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -10.9%

A - Classic stout coloration with a large dark tan head with retention and lacing

S - Roasted coffee

T - Not much on the forefront, but strong/odd coffee flavor aftertaste

M - Slightly thin on the mouthfeel for my tastes, but carbonation was adequate

D - I could drink a lot of this, but this was more of an impulse/shock value beer that I probably wouldn't buy again. It was good, just not good enough to justify the price tag. (432 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -11.2%

2010 vintage poured into a glass from a 500ml bottle.

A - Looks what a stout should look like. Poured black with a one finger mocha colored head that faded into a ring around the glass. Lacing was awesome and slowly crawled down the glass.

S - Boy, for it being brewed with coffee sure not getting much. Mostly ashy tobacco and smoky aromas. Also get some roasted malts and some carmel and toffee. Not enough coffee.

T - Creamy, chocolate but not much coffee taste either. Some spicy hop bitterness and smoke. The alcohol is evident and not completely hidden, but not overly harsh.

M - Very smooth and creamy and medium bodied. Not overly carbonated, I would say just right.

D - I would say this is a sipper. One pint would be just enough. Not overly drinkable but still a good beer. Wish I had reviewed the '09, because this was not equal to that vintage. (861 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -11.4%

bomber served in a snifter glass.

pours a thick, motor-oil black with a solid mocha-toned finger of creamy head; lasting retention and beautiful walls of lacing. pretty much the archetype of an imperial stout, presentation-wise. very impressive.

nice, flavorful nose. strong notes of roasted malts, molasses, coffee, and some bitter chocolate. not the best i've ever smelled, but very good. wow, taste takes a disappointing step back. flavorful, mostly following the aroma, but much too bitter for my liking. improves some as it warms but never achieves top-notch status.

rich, creamy, full-bodied mouthfeel mouthfeel with medium-low carbonation. lot of hype with this one but i'm not overly impressed. real roller-coaster of a beer for me; ultimately, i just feel there are better imperial stouts out there, and many that are less costly. maybe the civet shit coffee is lost on me.

originally reviewed: 12-14-2010 (918 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -12.1%

I had a couple of bucks to burn so I decided to splurge on a Beer Geek Brunch after a previous conversation about the kopi luwak bean. (Would love to meet the guy who discovered it.) Got mixed feelings on this one, but ultimately leaning toward a thumbs up with the caveat that I probably won't be reaching for another bottle anytime soon. (Especially at $15/bottle.) Pours beautifully, not much head but what's there is a gorgeous coffee brown with some beautiful lacing. The smell is rich in coffee at first becoming more molasses and bourbon. After you get that strong coffee flavor up front - which is absolutely delicious - there's a powerful bitterness that is enjoyable but a touch overwhelming as it warms up. And at over 10% abv, that alcohol is there in presence and flavor. Really a bomber of a beer, big flavors, big price, big concept - really cool, worth a shot but not one that will make it into the steady rotation. (931 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a Darkness snifter.

A- Two finger dark brown mocha head, dissipates quickly moderate lacing, very dark thick motor oil body, the appearance is very intriguing.
S- Very roasty, hints of smoke, vanilla, alcohol is present in the smell, very mild bitter sourness to it.
T- Very big and complex tasting beer, roasted coffee notes, oats, chocolate, bitterness, caramel, toffee, malts are present as well. A lot going on in this beer.
M- Big mouth feel, very sticky, alcohol is present.
O- Very interesting brew, not one of my favorites but a solid stout, that has a lot going on in a good way, a nice stout to sip on while conversing with fellow beer lovers. (688 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -13%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bottle pour at the Protest Bottle Share For LA Beer Week held at Red Carpet Wine in Glendale, CA.

Pours an opaque black with a foamy khaki head that fades to nothing. No lacing on the drink down. Smell is of dark roasted malt, cocoa, coffee, and slight dark fruit aromas. Taste is much the same with cocoa and dark fruit flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of roasty bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer that is tasty but has a slightly better smell in my opinion. (608 characters)

500 ML bottle poured into a tulip

A-- Started off as a root beer color and changed to almost ink black in the pour. Head is a dark chocolate color that at first was 2 fingers and quickly dropped to just film. Swirling the beer brings a little bit of head but not much. Little carbonation besides the pour.

S-- Lots of roasted malts, rolled oats, prunes, chocolate, brown sugar, vanilla, you name it. Just missing the coffee. More like a liquor chocolate like kahlua.

T-- Big, thick, rich taste. Lots of baking chocolate, molasses, with touches of vanilla, sweet chocolate, and sweet milk. There are flashes of coffee but not a whole lot.

M-- A whole lot in the mouth. Starts of sweet and finishes off baking chocolate dry. More coffee taste in the mouth, get a lot of acidity from the coffee but really a lot of baking chocolate. Alcohol is very obvious. More carbonated than what I really would expect, still is creamy though.

D-- It is good but one is enough. A whole lot of baking chocolate makes this tough to get through and my biggest negative on the beer. ABV is noticeable through the entire beer. Reminds me more of a Kahlua or Tia Maria than anything else. This is a sipper and one to work through. (1,213 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -13.3%

Pours a deep brownish black with a 1.5" toffee colored head.

Nose is of rosted espresso, cocoa powder, and some booze.

Definitely more of an espresso taste than a coffee. It's a little more acidic than I was expecting. It's huge on the roasted flavor and it has some chocolate in there but not as much as I expected. It has a subtle nuttiness to it, but I was hoping for a little more complexity.

It feels like I'm drinking stout flavored maple syrup. It is by far one of the thickest beers I have ever drank. It's not very smooth, and it hits my stomach like a bag of bricks.

Overall, I wish I wouldnt have paid $14 for this one. It was pretty tasty, but it was so thick it was almost not enjoyable. (704 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -13.3%

Pours black with a fluffy toffee colored head. The retention is fucking fantastic and the lacing is also above average.

The aroma is primarily of coffee. I'm not a coffee connoisseur, but this coffee smells different from any that I've smelled before. Subtle alcohol notes are present. I suspect there are other interesting aromas hidden beneath the impenetrable blanket of civet cat shit coffee. There might be some chocolate under there and some roastiness.

The flavor is coffee up front, and it...well, tastes like coffee. This might not have been the best beer to open up at 2 AM. The malt is roasted and there's a hint of chocolate and alcohol, but the coffee pretty much overwhelms any other flavors. The finish is bitter and burnt.

The beer is full bodied with good carbonation.

The coffee is overwhelming, making for a one dimensional beer. (852 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -13.5%

Been sitting on this for a few months. Definitely one that could be aged though.

A: Pours a jet black color with a substantial creamy off-white head. Minimal to moderate carbonation. Thick. Some sludge comes out of the bottle, making the beer splash out.

S: Alcohol, hops, coffee and chocolate. As the beer warms up, the alcohol goes away and the chocolate and coffee predominate.

T: Strong coffee flavors with plenty of dark chocolate taste. Strong bitterness both from the hops and the chocolate. SOme elements of caramel and vanilla as well. Much hoppier than expected, but that is ok in this style. The coffee seems to predominate with the chocolate coming in second and the hops in third. More flavorful than the Beer Geek Breakfast in my opinion.

M: Mouthfeel is succulent with oatmeal creaminess and definitely full bodied. Comforting.

D: A pretty decent beer. Not worth the price tag ($13.99) in my opinion. I may try it again, but only if someone else is buying. The coffee adds to the experience, but not enough to warrant this price. I don't think I could drink more than one bottle of this. A worthy effort however. (1,135 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

$16.99 locally. Celebrating finals being over with this.

A: Very enamoring. Deep dark black leather with a brown tide churning in a mercurial pattern. Couple stacks of paper thick head.

S: Actually smelled like a cheap lager from a distance at first crack. Even in up close in the glass it doesn't smell that appealing, a lot of that cheap beer malt liquor smell with some roasted coffee notes, but definitely doesn't smell very inviting.

T: Big Dump Truck unloading a Shitload of Weasel Shit Coffee. Quite bold, but not via coffee flavor overkill. Plenty of sweetness then well balanced with roastiness underneath, then slightly bitter hints underneath the roast. This is a definitely the boldest coffee stout I've had yet, but it is quite excellent. No booze is detectable and I don't get that malt liquor smell in the taste.

M: Definitely significantly drying. My mouth doesn't really know how to handle what's going on

O: Overall its pretty awesome. But after finishing it (relatively quickly) I will not soon spring for another bottle given the price. (1,064 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -14%

50 cl bottel poured into my berefts tasting glass

A - pours a pitch black with a big foaming tan foam that slowly disappeared

S - strong roasted coffee, oatmeal & chocolate

T - strong bitter coffee, can't decide if I like it or not

M - creamy, smooth, good carbonation

D - the bitterness of the coffee makes me not want to have another. (342 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -14%

Well, knowing I'm an outlier on this one, I have to say this beer was not exceptional for me. Maybe should have had it alone and not with pizza.
Started off well, deep rich color and coffee/stout aroma, but taste was somewhat monochrome and alcohol. Mouthfeel was nothing special and it finished early.Drinkability was fairly limited, have a shot glass or two among friends. I liked it, but over-priced and over-hyped on this one. (430 characters)

Beer Geek Brunch Weasel from Mikkeller ApS