Beer Geek Brunch Weasel | Mikkeller ApS

Mikkeller ApS
Denmark | website

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.

Imperial oatmeal stout brewed with coffee. Ingredients: Water, malts, hops, yeast and Vietnamese ca phe chon coffee.

Added by ClockworkOrange on 01-02-2009

Reviews: 815 | Ratings: 2,765
4.14/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle cellar temp
Big mocha head thin and bubbly dissipates right away
Smells wonderful
Tastes of rich roasted malt, gourmet coffee, and some bitter hops on the finish
The alcohol is upfront and burns, unpleasantly.
Overall, a delicious beer, but could be much better with less alcohol

4.12/5  rDev -4.4%

Got this 500ml bottle at Pinocchios and poured into a Duvel snifter. This beer pours black with a two-finger mocha-colored head settling to a coating which lasted throughout. Lacing was irregular but interesting and present at the last sip. Nose was coffee, chocolate, some dark roasted malt. Taste was coffee, dark chocolate,molasses, roasted malt and some spice, including pepper. Aftertaste was mildly bitter. Not a lot of carbonation, the mouthfeel was creamy, rich and thick. There is some noticeable alcohol. A little too expensive for me to try very often, but off this first try, I would certainly want to.

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%

Had this on my list for a while as a must try--very intrigued by the weasel component. Admittedly I'm not a huge fan of the ADIS but this was a great experience. Its jet black, malty and coffee and chocolate smells galore. The coffee taste isn't quite as strong as expected but its definitely delicious, nice and thick mouthfeel. Not sure how its 11%--not too boozy but leaves you feeling satisfied. When I'm in the mood (and my wallet is full) I will definitely reach for another.

4.27/5  rDev -0.9%

So, I'm following my most recent review of Mikkeller's travety known as Black Hole Russian Imperial Crap, oops, Stout, with a variation of Beer Geek Breakfast that uses Civet Weasel feces. It seems crap is a common theme between this review and last, so let us hope it doesn't apply (figuratively-speaking) to this beer.

Into a tulip, pours a thick, creamy, chocolate-y/cocoa head atop an impenetrable black body. Gushy legs that dissipate thinly and quickly as a tilt the glass, with a bodily consistency like oil as I continue to pour.

How much wood can a woodchuck chuck? Not so sure about wood in the nose, but the aromas are strong as hell and complex as sh*t (there are going to be a few pun-laden references here and there in this review, deal with it). Plenty of strong, bitter coffee notes with a ton of rasberries and even a floral note or two playing a small symphony with the bouquet. Aromas are outstanding.

Flavors are just as nuanced and intense, yet often quite different from the aromas. Let's see, we have some powerful coffee bitterness and cocoa up front and throughout the mid-point, ending with a slightly oaky, or woody espresso finish. Whoa Nelly! This is some strong stuff. Almost too strong, and something tells me I should have waited to share it with at least a second party before opening. One (full tulip) glass is going to be enough.

Mouthfeel is thick and chewy. Considering the ABVs it ain't too bad for an Oatmeal Stout. It doesn't pillow the palate as much as lightly caresses, slithering on by.

Overall, this may go down as a novelty beer, but it's a damn good novelty. Again, one glass should be enough, but that damn Civet digestive system works wonders to retain whatever berry aromas and flavors are present in the original fruit. A side-by-side with this beer and Beer Geek Breakfast would yield an intriguing experience, this I am sure. Redemption, my Scandinavian gents, from the Black Hole has been achieved.

3.91/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured into a tulip.

A: Thick viscous black pour with a half inch of milk chocolate head. Small sheets of lace form.

S: Not as much coffee as I was expecting here, but still present - maybe just a different smell. Sweet chocolate and a bit of roasted malts.

T: Strong roasted coffee and malt flavors here. Alcohol is fairly well hidden. Dark chocolate and a nice bitterness round it out.

M: Moderate to low carbonation and the feel gets creamier as it warms.

D/O: I held on to this one for ~3 months before trying it, so I might need to revisit this one fresh to get a better feel of the coffee. Overall a good Imp Stout, but not extraordinary.

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

500mL bottle pours like 25W into my Stone pint glass. Opaque black body lets no light through, and offers no hint of highlights. 2-finger mocha head with good retention for the ABV leaves patchy lacing as it subsides into a thin layer then a ring.

Roasted barley, a bit of sweet vanilla, undercurrent of alcohol, and a light oatmeal note (does not smell likes oats, just characteristic of oat stouts) that balances out the nose. Above average carbonation helps make the medium, smooth body more interesting, certainly helped by the oatmeal. The oatmeal does not leave any astringent aspects as it is wont to do.

Taste mirrors the nose; bittersweet coffee notes, dark berries minus the sweetness. Not terribly complex but incredibly pleasing. The finish reveals a bit more bitterness, and muted black cherries. A coffee-like bitterness lingers much in the way of espresso.

I'm a sucker for oatmeal stouts, and this reminds me a lot of Nøgne Ø's imperial stout in many respects, with the addition of a lithe dark berry note. Very easy to drink, even given the ABV.

4.19/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle into my dfh snifter...for brunch -
as dark as brown gets with a 1 finger dark tan head the dissipates quickly - very aromatic with coffee and roasted grains - tastes great with notes of roast coffee, some hop bitterness and civet bung -
full bodied and coats the mouth nicely, begging for the next sip -this is gonna have to take me through the afternoon - good stuff.

3.95/5  rDev -8.4%

16.9oz bottle purchased for $15. Poured into a snifter.

Appearance – Oily and black as it slides out of the bottle and coats the inside of the glass. Dark brown highlights show at times, but otherwise are difficult to spot. Brown head with good retention for such a hefty brew. It presents itself nicely and begs to be respected.

Smell – Deep, dark, and complex coffee aromas are most prominent. Notes of earth, potting soil?, are equally prominent and tied into the dark roast. Behind the coffee lies a foundation of dark rich chocolate.

Taste – Really intense flavors create a blend of bitter dark chocolate, complex dark roast coffee, and earth. It’s not necessarily complex in that the components are easy to pull apart, but the earthiness is what sets it apart for me. Finish is full of rich sweetness, bitter chocolate, and a lingering note of roasted coffee. As the coffee fades into obscurity I am noticing the robust notes of dark chocolate sticking to the very back of the tongue. Accents of vanilla, molasses, and an underlying citrus hop bite that almost goes unnoticed.

Mouthfeel – Full-bodied. Silky, creamy, and smooth as can be.

Drinkability – This is a very intense imperial stout. Hefty sweet base with a boatload of rich dark roasted coffee that is accented by a peculiar earthiness. Great supporting cast of characters and a wonderful feel. Definitely worth the price tag if only once.

4.19/5  rDev -2.8%

100th review...I decided to go with something that has been sitting in the cellar for a while.

Bottle purchased in 2010

Pours black as the night with a good sized mocha head. I noticed some strange large chunks during the pour which is where the points off came from.

Smells of faint hops lots of chocolate malt slight coffee scent

Taste is sweet velvety milk chocolate....almost like a chocolate malt milkshake. This tastes like a grown up version of young's double chocolate stout. The coffee notes are barely existent but it has a very nice roast character.

Mouthfeel is amazing but oatmeal used right always seems to give that nice creamy texture. Carbonation is right where it should be.

Overall this is an amazing beer it has aged like a champ and over the last 2 years has transformed into a completely different beer.

3.72/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

$16.99 locally. Celebrating finals being over with this.

A: Very enamoring. Deep dark black leather with a brown tide churning in a mercurial pattern. Couple stacks of paper thick head.

S: Actually smelled like a cheap lager from a distance at first crack. Even in up close in the glass it doesn't smell that appealing, a lot of that cheap beer malt liquor smell with some roasted coffee notes, but definitely doesn't smell very inviting.

T: Big Dump Truck unloading a Shitload of Weasel Shit Coffee. Quite bold, but not via coffee flavor overkill. Plenty of sweetness then well balanced with roastiness underneath, then slightly bitter hints underneath the roast. This is a definitely the boldest coffee stout I've had yet, but it is quite excellent. No booze is detectable and I don't get that malt liquor smell in the taste.

M: Definitely significantly drying. My mouth doesn't really know how to handle what's going on

O: Overall its pretty awesome. But after finishing it (relatively quickly) I will not soon spring for another bottle given the price.

4.31/5  rDev 0%

weasel poop = i had to try it. although at $13 a bottle, i will not be having more than one. into my Portsmouth Brewery tulip, it pours jet black with nice puffy tan head. aroma is less coffee than i expected; i get some of that sticky sweetness common with a top-shelf RIS. taste is chocolate, cherries/dates, coffee. i can't locate the oatmeal at all.

i really enjoyed this one. the coffee-ness is not all up in your face, and it's a smoothly drinking imp stout that goes down nice and easy.

4.13/5  rDev -4.2%

My 100th review!
Poured from 16.9 oz bottle into snifter glass.

Pours a jet black color with a thin mocha colored head. Appears to have low carbonation as I poured vigorously and did not get much head on the beer.

Not as much coffee aroma as I would have expected. Getting a fair amount of oats and some chocolate roasted grains. Not very complex, straightforward and simple.

Taste is very similar to aroma. Starts out very creamy with a moderate chocolate and coffee taste. Coffee taste comes through a little stronger on the finish and aftertaste, but not as prevalent as I would have thought. Really like that there isn't a bitter chocolate flavor like in so many other imperial stouts. Really smooth and this beer transitions very well from start to finish.

Creamy mouthfeel, with full body and low carbonation. Pretty drinkable for 11%. Very sticky and viscous.

After the first few sips, this beer really grew on me. It's nothing really extreme like I expected. Loved the creamy oats and the subtle coffee (as compared to other coffee stouts such as FBS) and moderate chocolate. Reminded me of a chocolate mocha milkshake.

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

Decided to pull the trigger on this expensive beer, at least in my eyes. The story about weasel shit coffee may even be more interesting than the beer, but here we go...

A: Black, black, black...I feel like all I have been drinking in big black beers, don't worry the cold weather is almost over. A huge altostratus (cloud) charred leather head. Not much lacing, bigger ABV, not surprised.

S: Charming chocolate/cocoa, clean coffee, sweet roasted malt.

T: Yummy, better than Beer Geek Breakfast IMO. I pulled a lot more roasted cocoa out of this than coffee. The coffee tasted like it smelled, clean and rather fresh, not like the stale and somewhat acrid coffee from BGB. Alcohol hidden well compared to other Mikkeller efforts.

M: The oatmeal has to be the culprit for giving it a pleasant mouthfeel, nice n thick...like I like my women?

D: Coffee and cocoa make me go loco. Drop the price of this bottle and we'll have round 2 and round 3.

4.51/5  rDev +4.6%

Picked up from John at Granite Liquors in Weymouth. (dbexpert). Pours a coffee black with a bright white head that turns brown as it dissipates. Smells vaguely of coffee infused with mocha flavors. Doesn't just taste like coffee, it tastes like great coffee. Sweet raspberry in the aftertaste. You could do the entire bottle in a sitting, but it's a great beer to share, as I think many people should get to enjoy this one.

3.53/5  rDev -18.1%

I don't buy too many imported beers and tend to favor American micro brews, but I love coffee beers way too much to ever pass this up!

A - Black! very dark! thin roasted head that evenly floats on top. Lacing wants to cling tightly to the glass. Gorgeous!

S - cold press coffee with a little spice and some chocolate. Just enough sweetness that it's not too roasted/dry smelling and it's in no way hidden. A bit boozy.

T - Little bit like a milk stout. Big time Imperial Stout. Still boozy. Not as much coffee as I'd hope.

M - creamy, medium-heavy mouthfeel. bit of alcohol blows off on your breath. Heat sits on your tongue.

o -It's a bit more alcohol hot than I'd prefer, but I bet it would become awesome with some age. I still feel like I missed out on some coffee characteristics. drink this one warmer than colder. Not bad at all, but where's the rest of the coffee?

did I get the same beer everyone else here reviewed? I feel ripped off.

4.28/5  rDev -0.7%

A- Very similar pour to the others I've had in this series. Tar black body, rich thick super dark brown head. Retention is a little better in this one and perhaps the lacing as well, which is impressive given the abv is higher. No cap here though.

S- I wish I could of did this one side by side with it's smaller sister because it sure reminds me of it. Maybe even more chocolate on the nose, definitely picking up some alcohol. Perhaps the coffee notes are more astringent, same underlying sweetness.

T- Oh yeah, that's good! Much bigger flavors in the weasel. More pronounced coffee taste right from the hop, rich malt, dark bitter chocolate, molasses and some dark fruit. The coffee hangs around in the mouth forever.

M - Body feels much fuller with that same creamy velvety feel. This dries the mouth, partially from the alcohol and I think the coffee bitterness has a role in this as well or gives of that impression at least.

O- Alcohol is masked very well, drink this one slowly to really get everything it has to offer. As I poured the last eighth of the bottle some jelly like sludge starts plopping in my glass, given the nature of the coffee beans this was a little more than off putting. I couldn't finish the last little bit. Oh well, the majority of this was killer!!

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Consumed at Armsby Abbey in Worcester, MA yesterday. Didn't have the Breakfast Stout anymore so I got this.

A- Pours a solid black body with a good 2-finger chocolate colored head that lasted for a long time. Though it looked pretty carbonated, the head did not fizz away.

S- Burnt chocolate, roasted malts, and a brewing coffee aroma. A little sharp acidicness to it, but not enough to turn me off.

T- The acidic flavor returns, but just enough for a quick bite at the palate, then it's gone. The dark chocolate and burnt coffee/ espresso flavors really stand out.

MF- Not quite full bodied, but as close as you can come without actually being full bodied. I think the carbonation just keeps it lighter on the palate.

4.63/5  rDev +7.4%

WOW! Picked up in Cincinnati at my favorite beer store this beer has had me wondering for quite some time. After reading the back of the bottle I'm not sure I'm ready for a beer this extreme, "...made from the droppings of weasel-like civet cats." I'm legitimately scared right now.

Poured into a snifter the jet black liquid quickly frothes to a dark tan head that fades back into the beer. So far so good.

The aroma of this beer does not immediately make me think civet cat dung so that's a good thing. The aroma is of very ripe tropical fruit, iced coffe with heavy cream and caramelized brown sugar, and a touch of coconut.

The first taste is explosive with espresso bitterness, light alcohol burn, nice aciditiy, and a twang that is difficult to place.

Mouthfeel is very round, full, and perfect for a coffee stout. Many times you try a coffee stout only to find you have a very thin beer (re: FBS). This stout has the perfect amount of coffee, alcohol bite/warmth, along with mouthfeel.

Drinkability is difficult to nail down. Personally I would never drink more than 1 of these nor could I. I will say that this 1 bottle will go down smoothly. I would say that coffee stouts in general are not to be sessioned therefore I will call this particular coffee stout highly drinkable.

4.62/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a Dogfish Head signature glass.

Appearance: From edge to edge, this is an extremely dark, light-absorbing brew. It is immensely murky, and there is a noticeable absence of highlights throughout the glass. The beer is crowned by a relatively thin and bubbly head which more less dies down quickly to form a thin coating atop the brew.

Smell: There is a lot to enjoy in the smell. The coffee really doesn't kick you in the face, but you know it's there. Otherwise, there is a strong scent of chocolate, followed by a struggle between the lighter, more vanilla-ish malts and the darker, thicker malts. I can't say which wins, but overall the nose is very, very good.

Taste: Right off the bat, I'll say that the taste is not as complex as I had hoped it would be. That being said, this is still a good beer. There is a solid presence of coffee but, as in the nose, it is not overpowering. Again, the malts play a big role, and they are quite welcome in this beer. I get a lot of vanilla tastes out of this beer.

Mouthfeel: The thickness of this beer is very adequate, though it certainly isn't a chewy beer. The only think which irks me about the mouthfeel is a slight soapy aftertaste which lingers just a touch too long on the palate for my liking.

Overall, this is a very good beer, but I have to feel a little disappointed. It doesn't have the complexity that I expected out of a beer with this reputation, although it certainly does have an interesting origin. I don't think the price tag is really worth so I'm not sure if I'll try this one again, but I'm glad I finally did get to try it.

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

A - Black as a moonless night. Head is pretty dark too. A nice manilla color.

S - Coffee. But that's to be expected. I can't really get too much else though.

T - Weird sweetness on the first taste, but weird good. Just unexpected. I've never had this type of coffee before, so I don't know if these flavors are coming from it or the grains. Chocolate, vanilla, coffee, all of that is in here. Very nice balance of all the flavors.

M - "Smoother than Keystone" -beerengineer89
A little thinner than expected, but still a nice medium body with very little carbonation, which helps thicken it up a bit more. Finish is slightly wet and sweet with a very nice chocolate/coffee aftertaste.

O - You can't count how many times "poop" was said during the tasting of this beer on all the fingers and toes combined on everyone tasting.
This was a very good beer overall. Body wasn't quite what I wanted but everything else was fantastic. All the other sections speak for themselves.

4.58/5  rDev +6.3%

From a 22 ounce bottle with no freshness date. Poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

A: Pitch black thick body with a thin brown thick creamy head which dissipates quickly, but a thick ring remains with some coating on the top.

S: Great smell of roasted coffee and slight dark chocolate hints and a real earthy overall smell to it. This would be perfect if it were just a tad stronger.

T: This tastes really good. slight dark chocolate hints throughout with a bitter dark chocolate syrup finish. The coffee flavor comes up with a very distinct roasty bitterness that I've never tasted before, this definitely isn't your average store bought coffee. There's this earthy taste throughout that matches the smell, definitely from the coffee used and it's very distinct, but pleasing. This is definitely very mellow though throughout.

M: Not as thick as I was expecting but definitely full-bodied, light carbonation.

O: This is a very drinkable beer with a distinct flavor and scent. I like this a lot and recommend it to any stout drinker. I'm giving this high marks for a reason.

4.42/5  rDev +2.6%

Stouts for summer. Why not? While lots of folks are reaching for a pilsner or pale ale, I figured I'd go the opposite direction, drinking some stouts, which I usually prefer to have in the dead of winter.

Reading the label makes me nervous. I'm drinking a beer made with weasel poo. Okay then. Let's try it out. 16.9 ounce bottle oured into a snifter glass. Pour reminds me of chocolate syrup, with a quarter inch dark tan head. Nice dark brown to black color. Smell is incendiary, with burnt chocolate, a little coffee, and tons of roasted notes. Some alcohol is there as well. The first taste is quite warming, with notes of wood and raspberry/cherry cascading down with coffee and roasted chocolate flavors. It's a thick beer, the sipping kind. Feels like I should be snowed in someplace drinking this for warmth. As the beer warms the flavors expand, running the gamet from somewhat fruity and sweet to somewhat bitter and roasted. Really complex stuff. Gets better the longer you drink it. Nicely done.

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

as a dark chocolate nose with hints of anise and surprisingly less coffee than I expected. There are definitely notes of fresh coffee beans though. The taste is another story all together. It screams coffee. Strong, dark roasted, black coffee. There are some slight notes of chocolate and maybe some raisins with just the tiniest touch of anise. Although the coffee is extremely dominant and strong, it is good coffee and it tastes fantastic. The mouthfeel is thick and chewy and it is just like breakfast in a bottle.

4.21/5  rDev -2.3%

I've been sitting on this beer for about a month and just had to crack it finally, I know I should wait longer but I wanted to try this beer.

A- Poured a pitch black, darkest beer since BT for me and the 2 fingers of dark brown head with light lacing and clumps of foamy lacing. Really nice start to this beer.

S- Roasted malt and super dark bitter chocolate dominate the scent followed by a roasted strong coffee scent with some decent caramel/toffee scents and marzipan.

T- Huge amounts of roasted dark coffee in this beer followed by the dark bitter chocolate and roasted/smoky malt flavor, the finish on this beer is quite bitter from the weasel poop or the hops or maybe even the type of coffee not quite sure but it hangs around for a good 30 seconds after each sip, just great.

M- Quite average mouthfeel, much thinner than I would have thought but it does have a shit-ton, haha, of flavor and ample carbonation.

D- Got my first glass done and have a litte more than half the bottle to go, this finish is making it interesting to say the least. I really feel like I'm still drinking this beer 30 seconds after swallowing.

4.18/5  rDev -3%

A: Wonderful, deep dark brownish/black. Reddish 2 finger head. Nice lacing.

S: Overwhelming roasted coffee.

T: Acidic, fresh roasted, black coffee.

M: Medium body. Light carbonation. A little creamy.

O: Great coffee stout. Expensive. I wish it was cheaper, but I know Kopi Luwak doesn't come cheap.

Beer Geek Brunch Weasel from Mikkeller ApS