Beer Geek Brunch Weasel - Mikkeller ApS

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.90% ABV

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.

Imperial oatmeal stout brewed with coffee. Ingredients: Water, malts, hops, yeast and Vietnamese ca phe chon coffee.

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 01-02-2009)
4.52/5  rDev +4.6%

ChrisKayler, Aug 14, 2014

JakerLou, Jul 28, 2013

ncelauro, Dec 10, 2013
2.2/5  rDev -49.1%

Big thanks to Jeff for sharing this at a recent tasting. Cheers!

Batch 2

Appearance -- Pours a dark brown with a slim tan head.

Smell -- Roast malt, dark chocolate, soy sauce, burnt coffee, smoke, miscellaneous spices from the kitchen cupboard. What?

Taste -- Roast malt, coffee grounds, chocolate, licorice, anise, soy sauce, and random spices. Finish brings out some minty hop notes.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-full in body, milder carbonation. Not bad.

Drinkability -- Wow, Batch 1 must have been exceptionally good, because this is terrible. Soy sauce + spice rack + ash tray = misery in a glass. It's easy to romanticize the idea of gypsy brewing, but this also allows for duds like this to occur. Moreover, I really do like Mikkeller, but this is one of my least favorite Imperial Stouts to date.

yeahnatenelson, Nov 08, 2010

M1A2, Mar 19, 2014
4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured from a 1pt .9oz bottle into a pint glass. Reviewed live.

A- Ribbon thin mocha head, with long retention for the size and abv. Tiny bubbles floating on top. Coal-black, no light gets through. Fearsome looking beer.

S- Chocolate and coffee, earthy with oatmeal tones. Some rich booze smells as well. Dark, earthy and delicious smelling.

T- Strong booziness and the coffee bitterness comes in as well. Some darker fruits, creamy chocolate and caramel. Complex and wonderfully brewed beer.

M- Smoooth and creamy. Amazing. 5/5

O- It lived up to the hype.

Murrhey, May 09, 2012

Pours with a short, brown head with melted caramel edges. Body is the requisite black with no light or visible carbonation. Really nice lacing.

Smell is interesting: roasted coffee beans, almonds, and dark chocolate.

Whoa, flavor punches you unexpectedly with an incredibly roasty, dark bark bitterness. Bittersweet chocolates. Mouthfeel starts with the bitter bite, then moves to a rich oil slick - interesting. Finishes fairly dry though.

Drinkability is a bit rough, but the good flavor and rich mouthfeel keep it at least average for the style.

My recommendation would be to lay a couple down for 2-3 years and see if that smooths things out. I'll be picking up a couple more.

BeerImmediately, Jun 18, 2010

blindpiggie, May 20, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -19%

birdsellam, Feb 11, 2013
3.78/5  rDev -12.5%

bomber served in a snifter glass.

pours a thick, motor-oil black with a solid mocha-toned finger of creamy head; lasting retention and beautiful walls of lacing. pretty much the archetype of an imperial stout, presentation-wise. very impressive.

nice, flavorful nose. strong notes of roasted malts, molasses, coffee, and some bitter chocolate. not the best i've ever smelled, but very good. wow, taste takes a disappointing step back. flavorful, mostly following the aroma, but much too bitter for my liking. improves some as it warms but never achieves top-notch status.

rich, creamy, full-bodied mouthfeel mouthfeel with medium-low carbonation. lot of hype with this one but i'm not overly impressed. real roller-coaster of a beer for me; ultimately, i just feel there are better imperial stouts out there, and many that are less costly. maybe the civet shit coffee is lost on me.

originally reviewed: 12-14-2010

BostonHops, May 19, 2012
3.85/5  rDev -10.9%

Ok, so what we have here is a Norwegian Imperial Stout brewed with coffee beans that have been shat out of the digestive tract of some forest-dwelling critter. I never thought I'd see the day. Let's see if I can get through this review with nary a poop-joke.

First off, this is a 500ml bottle, with no mention of how much, if any, mammal fecal matter (MFM) is contained in every chunky sip. I'm not sure if that's a blessing or what. So with a resigned sigh and with my intestines clenched in trepidation, I crack the cap and pour a good portion of this into my accepting glass.

I have to say, the beer doesn't look crappy at all. It's a fizzy, deep black with red highlights and boasts a tightly clenched lacy head that leaves little smears down the sides of my glass as I take this beer into my mouth. So far so good...

Smell-wise, I am both relieved and saddened at the complete lack of weasel-cat bowel movement aroma. But what I do smell is a sort of coffee black-hole, going on and on into a sticky, wet, espresso ending. Deep acrid notes bring back memories of the burnt coffee stuck to Uncle Franklin's pot during those 6am archeological digs for buried pirate treasure. He loved taking me on those. But I digress. There is also here a good amount of hop bitterness, spruce and juniper, and the whole thing is sweet and big-smelling. So to sum up: Coffee, burnt stuff, piney hops, sugar. No cat poop, yet.

Alright, so I finally break down enough to put this beer into my uppermost orifice reserved for such things. If living in the Village in the early 70s taught me anything it's that there is no sense in approaching things involving potential poo half-arsed. At least I think that was the lesson. I raise my goblet to my lips and take a big gulp of Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch Weasel.

... ... ...

Huh! Nope, not getting any doodie in the flavor, either! False advertising? Not sure... but what I did taste is sweet, black stuff, lots of espresso, almost harsh, quite rich, and bittersweet. There's cocoa, and more than expected hops, along with warming alcohol. This is a Big Stout. Very flavorful. Interesting, but not THAT far removed from Black Hole or Beer Geek Brunch. Rather intense, as many Mikkeller beers are wont to be. I'm sure the oats contribute to the slick mouthfeel. I keep waiting to burp up cat fur or hack up a dead mouse like a spotted owl I saw once on a PBS special, but the only thing I'm getting out of this thick, syrupy beer is a warming sensation that dribbles down my throat.

Is it drinkable? I suppose that depends on how much you like novelty. At the price point of $14 a bottle, I wouldn't be reaching around in my friend's cellar for it again anytime soon, but then, you may like your poop a little more than I doo. Ultimately, Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch Weasel is interesting, but probably overrated. At least now I can say I've tried civit-poop beer. No shite.

kkipple, Jun 16, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +1.4%

A--Poured a midnight black with slightly more than a finger of head. Carbonation bubbles ran all the way up my pint glass. Head was a dark brown. Exactly how I like my beers to pour. Good lacing down the glass.

S--VERY well balanced between coffee, roasted malts, and chocolate. Not an overpowering smell (which I prefer), but what is there is very nice.

T--Wow this one really jumps out and smacks you in the face. A lot more powerful than the Beer Geek Breakfast. I actually am surprised here since the nose didn't hit me like this. A lot more back end bitterness here than the breakfast, can't really tell if it is a hoppy bitterness or if it is from the coffee. Drinking a little more it seems to mellow out.

M--So creamy it is almost chewy. But it is not thick and cloying. A very pleasant chewiness.

D--Extremely thick and filling. It's what you would expect from the style, so judging it from that I look at how easy it is to finish the bomber. In this case the beer kept me wanting more but my stomach was telling me to stop so I had to deduct slightly from this.

I don't really know if I prefer this or the Beer Geek Breakfast. They are relatively equal to me, but they are both world class and among the best imperial stouts I've ever had. This is expensive and not easy to find, but if you come across one it is a must try (at least once).

P.S....I can die a happy beer geek knowing that I have even drank a beer with shit in it. Thank you Mikkeller for giving me the chance to have that on my "resumé"

alcstradamus, Mar 26, 2009

Pecan, Dec 20, 2012
4.13/5  rDev -4.4%

Pitch black even when being poured. Aggressive pour generated only a finger of head, but the head is the darkest brown I've ever seen on a beer. Head doesn't stick around for long though. Some lacing around the glass.

Coffee is first to the nose, with a light vanilla note. Dark chocolate and something woody also in the aroma.

Tastes like a fairly sweet coffee, with definite chocolate notes. Some licorice and molasses as well. Faint lingering roasted flavour. Quite delicious. Alcohol well hidden.

Full bodied with almost absent carbonation. One of the rare occasions when I would like carbonation to be just a touch more lively. Good mouthfeel none the less.

10.9% ABV without feeling boozy. Still a sipper from the big flavours, but an easy drinking one considering the strength.

Edit: Right near the last third of the bottle, the flavours got a tad cloying, knocked off a bit of its score, especially the drinkability.

elricorico, Sep 22, 2010

Troville1990, Oct 06, 2013
3.75/5  rDev -13.2%

craftbeerasian, May 17, 2014
4.65/5  rDev +7.6%

A: Completely pitch black. Dark mocha head.

S: A ton of chocolate and coffee. Super roasty. Slight notes of civet feces.

T: Very intense dark cocoa. Coffee is there but almost in the background. It finishes very roasty.

M: Surprisingly not that thick. The roast provides some thickness but it is somewhat thin underneath.

D: All day long baby.

drseamus, May 26, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +6%

What a great find at Higgins in Portland! Very reasonably priced too.

A - Poured black as night with about 1 finger of head, which dissipated down to about a quarter of a ring. Carbonation was very low. Looks very viscous.

S/T - Where do I start? Lots of coffee up front with sort of a chocolatey flavor followed by cherry and raspberry flavor. I can tell Mikeller spared no expense to deliver some great coffee flavor, but I don't need to tell Mikeller how good it is, cause they know it is good coffee. And when the lady buys it, it's shit.

Getting back to the beer itself, ample amounts of chocolate with the slightest hint of bittering hops.

The only disappointing aspect of this beer is that the label states it is an oatmeal stout, which makes me question the amount used and the label. The head was minimal and there was little to no residual sweetness, which is fairly common for this ingredient. Otherwise very excellent.

M - Perhaps the richest beer I've had in bodiness, which is possibly from the cold pressed infusion of civet coffee. Definitely malt dominated and hides the alcohol well. However, as the beer warms up and as it finishes toward the end, there is more of a noticeable alcohol feel.

D - Definitely unique in its own right partially due to the civet coffee added to the beer. Very excellent, wish I could have more. Never thought I'd recommend a beer that came from an animal's rectum, but I'll gladly make an exception here.

MisterClean, Jul 21, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

POOP BEER!
500mL bottle served into a tulip glass

Pours a lovely deep brown. Pretty much black. The body sits thick in the glass. The head is quite dark; a burnt caramel color. It only gets to one and a half fingers but it laces well and hugs the sides of the glass with tenacity.

Initial aromas are smoke, tobacco leaf and lots of roasted malt. There is coffee amidst the roast (as one would hope). There is an element of what fellow BA'er FernMaster called "dark poop fruit smell." I know what he is getting at - there is a sour mash sort of smell that also has a spoiled fruit quality to it. This is pretty unique. I don't fully know what I am smelling, which I'm guessing is because of the civet cat coffee (which I have never had).

This is an exquisite, unique Imperial Stout. The deep roast is what I get first but it softens and opens up to dry leaves and a touch of raisin-rum cake. The coffee develops as bitter, bitter espresso that contains a certain pungent, fruity quality that I can't place (blueberry is what comes to mind)(which, again, I am attributing to the civet cat poop coffee). The finish is very nutty. A rich nutty quality that yields to smoke and roasted bean. This is top-notch.

The body isn't thick enough for the ideal Imperial Stout but the the relative thinness is good for carrying all the flavors throughout the palate. A beer this strong (in both flavor and ABV%) can only be so drinkable but it is certainly good in the scoring category.

Poop beer is a unique experience that every stout lover should have. I've never had a coffee stout quite like it and I suspect that I never will. The combination of bitterness and fruitiness from the coffee and the nutty, smoky malt make for a great beer.

Reaper16, Jun 25, 2010
4.73/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Jet black. Completely opaque. Weak head. Some lacing.

Highly roasted burnt charcoal and tobacco aroma. Lots of coffee. Smooth oats. Rich dark fruit.

Roasted malt dominates, charcoal, baking chocolate, tobacco, burnt toast. Smooth oats and sweet maple syrup and molasses balance the bitterness. Assertive earthy hop. Extremely well balanced.

Full bodied yet not syrupy. Super dry finish. Very well carbonated.

Truly exceptional. Super intense and complex yet perfectly balanced.

bnes09, Feb 22, 2014
4.25/5  rDev -1.6%

pjkelley82, Mar 24, 2014
4.7/5  rDev +8.8%

16.9oz bottle from Sprayberry Bottle Shop (Marietta, GA). 12.99. No bottle date but I've been holding it about 14 months. Served in a Dogfish Head snifter.

Pours near black with about a quarter finger deep mocha head. Occassional small beads of lace.

Smells of rich cocoa, creamed coffee, mild dates and just a whisper of alcohol. Nice!

Tastes oh, so smooth! Bittersweet chocolate, coffee, mild smoke, dark fruits, wet leather, molasses and a touch of booze. Alcohol is very well masked by the outstanding mix of flavors.

Creamy smooth medium body with mild carbonation. Long mildly bittersweet coffee finish.

The coffee is much more subdued now than when fresh but the smooth blend of flavors and creamy feel are fantastic. I really hope this is brewed again sometime because it's perhaps my favorite coffee stout.

ThickNStout, Oct 24, 2012