Beer Geek Brunch Weasel - Mikkeller ApS

Denmark

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.90% ABV

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 01-02-2009

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.

Imperial oatmeal stout brewed with coffee. Ingredients: Water, malts, hops, yeast and Vietnamese ca phe chon coffee.
4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

4.67/5  rDev +8.1%

16.9oz bottle from Sprayberry Bottle Shop (Marietta, GA). 12.99. No bottle date but I've been holding it about 14 months. Served in a Dogfish Head snifter.

Pours near black with about a quarter finger deep mocha head. Occassional small beads of lace.

Smells of rich cocoa, creamed coffee, mild dates and just a whisper of alcohol. Nice!

Tastes oh, so smooth! Bittersweet chocolate, coffee, mild smoke, dark fruits, wet leather, molasses and a touch of booze. Alcohol is very well masked by the outstanding mix of flavors.

Creamy smooth medium body with mild carbonation. Long mildly bittersweet coffee finish.

The coffee is much more subdued now than when fresh but the smooth blend of flavors and creamy feel are fantastic. I really hope this is brewed again sometime because it's perhaps my favorite coffee stout.

4.56/5  rDev +5.6%

Ah, the brunch weasel. 1/2 of me wanted to make up some midnight breakfast to go with this, but I'll settle for just the beer. 22oz into pint glass. 10.9% ABV.

A- Awesome coloration, almost black but the light shows its just a really really dark brown. Head is 5-fingered and darker than most any head I've seen on a stout. Thick, slowly settling and some thick goopy lacing. A 1-finger pancake is just chillin' on top of my glass.

S- Coffee.. a fine roast. Robust, bold,lots of chocolate (sweet) and some vanilla.

T- Coffee! Deep and intense but smoother than I would have thought given the nose. No acidity, very rich. Chocolate, a bit of ash/smoke. I really like oatmeal stouts... they're potent and powerful but stay on track. There's a fruitiness and nuttiness that comes out in the finish as I'm on my 2nd glass. Hmm... hold the poop jokes please.

M- Moderate.. perhaps even a bit thin, but goes well with the velvet smoothness of the beer (flavor and body). A joy to drink. No sign of the ABV... except for my head's feeling a little warm as I continue to drink this. Thumbs-up.

D- High as it can be for the $$$. I *love* this beer. I'm not the biggest stout fan, but know a good one when I see one. This is awesome sauce, plain and simple. Blows the beer geek breakfast out of the water.

4.32/5  rDev 0%

4.53/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Consumed over my brief vacation in Indiana. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass. Split with someone. Review is from my notes.

Pours a dark, nearly ruby tinged opaque color that - impressively enough - has an off-khaki head about a half finger high that settles, but not completely. The carbonation really has a lot of fight here for a beer that's nearly 22-proof, but even when recedes over time, is leaves behind some treacle and bubbles that are appealing in the sense that this fully resembles a chocolate or coffee liqueur of sorts. Thick and viscous, and the tears on this are massive. Very well put together - I wish all coffee oatmeal imperial stouts looked like this.

The aroma is a wonderful, firm, strong cascade of all of the delicacies listed at the front of the bottle, and so much more. At first, there's an immediate burst of rich, fudge-caramel infused chocolate syrup, which soon after is followed by bittered, fresh espresso coffee notes with tangy floral flavors. Other flavors that creep in are vanilla, prunes, and other indescribable black fruits. Slightly boozy towards the finish, but this further elevates the sweetness at hand. Fantastic stuff, although definitely a bit too decadent in the long run.

As for the flavor - are you kidding me? This is nearly perfect as far as the style goes. There's nothing but a velvety, rich, creamy burst of all of the flavors listed above. Semi-dark chocolate syrup, roasted, bite-y ground coffee, vanilla, cherry, prunes, blueberries, light cedar, and warm, freshly brewed oats. The aftertaste is a wonderful jet of bitterness from the coffee, that is both tangy and earthy. No alcohol to be found *anywhere* on this, which makes this very easy and dangerous to drink. Creamy, full-boded, and bready in the barrage of roasted malts underneath. The floral bitterness from the coffee cuts in with the citrus-y flavor of the hops quite well. The bottle conditioning further elevates the bready experience at hand. Extraordinary stuff.

I've had my Mikkeller offerings from time to time, but as far their easier to find beers go, this is probably the crowning achievement of the lot. I haven't had a beer of this kind bring together all of the ingredients so successfully like this since my first Founders Breakfast Stout. I will definitely track some more of these down and hoard them, as they would age excellently well - however, the coffee really is the highlight, and as a result would be tempting to open as soon as I buy them. If you are a stout fan, do yourself a favor and get this at least once in your life. It's a glorious recipe to be reckoned with.

4.21/5  rDev -2.5%

Poured this one into a tulip. This one pours thick and black with slight hues of brown that shed just a little bit of light in the pour. The head is mocha colored and very thick and creamy looking, leaving behind soapy lacing all around. The smell is coffee right up front; very strong dark coffee, with notes of leather and a trace of alcohol. It's pretty nice, but it's not very present. The taste follows the smell but with aggression! The taste has coats my tongue with a flavor or big roasted malts, dark fruits, coffee and finish with an interesting bitter coffee and hop finish. The coffee is really well done, it is certainly an enormous presence in this one but doesn't overpower anything and allows the other elements of this beer to shine. The mouthfeel is simply fantastic. It's silky and creamy and doesn't leave a sticky syrupy mess as with a lot of the big stouts. Drinkability is as good as it gets with something this big. The abv is hidden very well and the flavors are terrific. I will absolutely buy more of this.

4.45/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Split with Wiseman Zach and JustinA1.

Poured into a Cigar City snifter.

Appearance: Pours out dark and incredibly viscous, producing a huge, foamy, brown head. That head quickly dissipates to a creamy halo; a thin film floats on top of the beer. Body is opaque and very thick-looking. Not a whole lot of lacing.

Smell: Chocolate syrup, oats, cream, and bold, unique coffee aromas. Rich, smoky, sweet, and bold. As it warms, I get maple syrup. Lovely combination of aromas!

Taste: Dark chocolate mousse, molasses, roasted malt, vanilla, and unique coffee-like components. Oats play a nice role. Flavor profile is complex and well-balanced. Finishes mildly bitter, and leaves a nice, dark chocolate flavor lingering in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Very thick, rich, and gritty. Finishes sweet; really conceals the alcohol well. Lots of particulate in this beer, especially toward the bottom - this was a turn-off for Justin and Zach.

Drinkability: Wish I got more than just 5-6 ounces of this. Complex and smooth. Mmmmm....

4.18/5  rDev -3.2%

Sweet unexpected find at a local beer store. Almost traded for this bad boy a couple weeks earlier. 1 PT bottle of the cat poop beer...

A: Awesome! Super dark black with nothing shining through. A super thick 2 inch deep dark mocha colored head that fades at a decent pace. Perfection!

S: Smells very good. Roasty coffee upfront with some thick oatmeal. Some dark fruit in the middle with a very nice vanilla / cocao touch on the backend. Some very well balance wood scents blended in there. I get some milky chocolate in the middle. Very good.

T: I cannot believe I am going to be sipping cat poop coffee beans, but here I go. Heavy roastiness upfront blended with an interesting flavor I cannot quite put my finger on. The more I drink it that more I think it is a carbonated wine type flavor. Nice balanced oatmeal, coffee, chocolate, vanilla, and cocao in the middle. Interesting raisin and dark fruit blend on the backend. The brew is a little too roasty and carbonated for me, but still good.

M: A hint too overcabonated for my taste. Good.

D: Once you get past the carbonation and the fact the you're drinking big cat poop, then it goes down surprisingly easy. Good.

All in all, I did not know what to expect from a brew with such an interesting process. The thought of drinking coffee beans picked out of cat poop and brewed in my beer is, I have to admit, a little odd. However, this is surprisingly good. A little too roasty for my taste, but still very well balance compared to many roasty brews. I think this could be compared to Great Lakes Barrel Aged Blackout Stout. It reminds of this brew a lot in the taste. This one is just not as well balanced as that one is. I'd definitely say, if you can get past the brewing process, that you need to give this brew a try at least once.

Beer Geek Brunch Weasel from Mikkeller ApS