Beer Geek Brunch Weasel - Mikkeller ApS

Denmark

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.90% ABV

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 01-02-2009

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.

Imperial oatmeal stout brewed with coffee. Ingredients: Water, malts, hops, yeast and Vietnamese ca phe chon coffee.
Reviews: 780 | Hads: 2,550
4.48/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a tulip.

A - Nearly jet-black, thick-looking beer that coats the glass. Lots of mocha-brown head. Tiny bubbles form along the ridge and over the top of the head. Good retention, great lacing.

S - A lot of the roasty smells you'd associated with a standard imperial stout, but with more cocoa and coffee (unsurprisingly). Also some oak, vanilla, and tobacco in the nose. Intense, but not as much coffee as I was expecting.

T - Big bitter coffee and chocolate up front, that fades with the sweetness of the tremendous malt bill. Not as much alcohol present as you'd expect, but it's definitely there... even after sitting this bottle down for a couple of years it's still running hot. Finishes with a nice bitter espresso finish that lingers.

M - This beer is more like a milkshake than a light lager. This is a massive, chewy brew that definitely lets you know it's there. Sweet finish.

O - Excellent Imperial Coffee Stout. I'd recommend getting a few bottles and seeing how they change over a few years. It's big, it's bitter, it's heavy, and it is absolutely delicious. (1,087 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

After hearing about this beer time and time again, I finally broke and bought a bottle, even though the story behind the coffee used grossed me out.

A: Motor Oil. Pours really thick. Copper brown head 1 finger thick. Really good lacing.

S: Smoky, coffee. Booze.

T: Toms of smoky espresso. Dried fruitiness. Light vanilla characteristic add an odd character to the finish.

M: On the thick side with mild carbonation.

O: Good, but really over hyped. (452 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +6%

Stout for lunch on a 60 degree day? Okay!

Appearance:
Pours an oily, slick black with 2 fingers of brown head. Held up to a sunny window, no light makes it all the way through the beer. This stuff is BLACK.

Smell:
Sweetness, like chocolate, booze, and subtle coffee. No strong guess as to which flavor will dominate the taste.

Taste:
Sweetness and oats hit me first, and then I get a blast of booze and chocolate. The chocolate is actually fairly dry feeling. Another flavor is in there too, which starts small and gradually takes over your entire mouth. What is it exactly? At first I didn't know, and then it hit me: This is ultra-rich coffee! Wow!

Mouthfeel:
Oily and thick, and mouth-coating. You could chew on this stuff like gum.

Overall:
I'm pretty sure I would drink this with breakfast. It would be delicious. The only thing stopping me is the 10.9% ABV. I'm a little concerned about having it for lunch, in fact. glad I'm not driving today. Other than that, this stout is fantastic. A coffee-lover's stout, and a stout-lover's breakfast. (1,053 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

A: Yup, looks like a stout. Very black with a thick, creamy one finger head. It doesn't recede TOO fat for a beer of this abv. No real lace, however.

S: You can smell the coffee, but the alcohol is there too. Malty with some dark fruit barely present.

MF: Full-bodied and downright thick. THIS is what I think of when I hear people say a beer is "chewy" (though I'm still not totally clear on if I have that term right ;) ). The carbonation is light, but perfect for the style IMO. I'm knocking off half a point for the bite of the alcohol.

T: I drink my coffee every morning -- the darkest blend I can find -- black. So this is right up my alley. I wouldn't quite call it espresso as there is a chocolaty sweetness in the middle. The alcohol is definitely present, leaving a hotness in my mouth and warmth in my belly. The oatmeal does a great job of giving this one some meat on it bones and balancing the whole affair. It is pretty acidic, but I like that.

Overall: I really enjoyed this. Hard to imagine a better name for it and it was fun to inform my friends and family I was drinking a beer made from weasel droppings! It's definitely hot and a sipping beer for sure. Having also had the Beer Geek breakfast I can definitely say I prefer this one, hands down! (1,270 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours black into snifter with a large beige head. Aroma is weasel poo consisting of a carnivorous mixture of mice, rabbits, gophers, chipmunks and the ocassional coffee bean (had to do it). No this brew has a STRONG coffee, smokey, and chocolate aroma. Might be one of the strongest coffee aromas out there in a beer, (maybe peche mortal compares?) Flavor is great, at first I thought it might be too strong for the flavor profile but there is a nice hop and malt backbone to make it quite enjoyable. Not as much coffee in the flavor as you would think by the aroma. The hops surprised me the most such a solid addition to the typical smoky malt and chocolate malt profile. Finish is slightly dry and slightly bitter. A thoughly enjoyable beer.
Oh yeah in case you wondered if more is coming I found this at the Mikkeller website:

"It is not unproblematic to get your hands on sufficient amounts of the rare and very expensive 'weasel pooh coffee'. But now it seems that a delivery is underway. A Vietnamese coffee plantation owner has promised to deliver the coffee immediately. He reports that on his plantation no weasels go to bed hungry . Every morning he gets out of bed when the dawn is still cracking only to collect the precious pooh. Very soon all the pooh will be send to Nøgen Ø (Naked Island) in Norway where Mikkel will brew the next batch of Beer Geek Brunch in the middle of April"

Fresh batch in April! (1,424 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured from a 750ml Bottle into an Odell's Pint Glass

A: Pours a very dark brown almost black color. Interestingly enough there was almost no head. Really black, did mention how black it was?

S: Coffee. Acidic coffee dominates the nose with slight hints of chocolate in the background

T: Smooth and just tons of coffee. I love coffee personally and I was not prepared for the first few sips of this guy. It really is a great beer and gets better after a few sips. It is not a coffee flavor that I have encountered before, a very different bean indeed. The lingering taste reminds me of the aftertaste of drinking a cup of black coffee. Did I mention it tastes like coffee?

M: Honestly this beer was a little bit thinner than I was hoping. Based on the color and full flavor I was truly expecting a bit thicker beer. Also the fact that there had been no head when it was poured the carbonation level was actually pretty good

Overall: I like this beer. I don't know that I would keep one around but if it was cold and I was in the mood I may be able to drink it again. This one was too much coffee even for a coffee lover. (1,125 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +11.2%

Shared with two non-BA friends who frankly were kind of freaked out by the concept, until they tasted it.

A- Deep black with a coffee with cream colored head that was thick and fluffy for a minute or so.

S- Coffee on coffee with beautiful malty tones and woody or nutty hints

T- Bark was worse than it's bite, nice milder coffee flavor, bittersweet chocolate. The brewers did a great job of hiding the higher ABV

M- At first it had a nice mouth feel, viscous and a touch dry but good. At the end it had some texture and left grit in the glass

D- Could drink a bunch more but with only 7K bottles in the US, expense and rarity of the coffee, not likely. Good special occasion sipper (686 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

A: Pours a pitch black body with a foamy dark toffee head that leaves a thick, smoky lacing.

S: Pure cocoa, roasted coffee bean and oats are the stars here with cinnamon, alcohol and smoked meat as a supporting cast.

T: Very smooth coffee and roasted malts, slightly on the sweet side but with some acidity. Laces your mouth with tobacco - pipe tobacco. Get a quick shot of the alcohol. A slightly bitter cocoa finish. Intense.

M: Leaves your mouth tingling and salivating, and coats it with tobacco - like the best cigar you've had. Maybe the beer's strongest point.

D: It's absurdly heavy and intense and not that drinkable for the style. Take it slow. (659 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +13.3%

500 mL from the second batch into a Sam Smith tulip pint glass

A: This beer pours like a black hole. A soul-sucking vortex that mercilessly devours all light. Half finger copper/brown head that disappears quickly and leaves a faint ring of its former-self. No lacing.

S: Massive cocoa smells, think 85% dark chocolate bar kind of cocoa. A mountain of roasted ground coffee. Caramel, burnt grains, raisins and vanilla in that order. Warming alcohol tickles my nose. Bitter and acidic with sweet notes and a slight boozy characteristic, exactly how an imperial stout should smell to me.

T: First sip, wow this beats every imperial stout I've had until now. Right away I get the raisins and booze but its not a particularly hot beer, even at almost 11% ABV. Heavy on the chocolate, which I loved about this beer, with some vanilla and caramel pulling through. Then the coffee hits. I hate coffee, I love coffee flavor, but I hate coffee none the less. This beer might just make a coffee drinker out of me. Smooth and even a little creamy, beautifully balanced between bitter and fruity, bold and tasty daring you to have another sip right away. Absolutely incredible. None of the ash/smoke/charcoal mentioned from others that have had this batch, mine was perfect.

M: I knew when it poured thick enough to be mistaken for molasses that this would be great. Thick, viscous, and coating on my tongue. Not overly carbonated either. Not so thick and flat that I need to choke it down, but man this beer is a meal.

D: This beer dares you to have sip after sip, bottle after bottle until the day you no longer can enjoy this wonderful beer. The ABV, price, and availability prevent this though. I wish this were more easily available at least, this may be my new favorite imperial stout. What an incredible beer, I was nervous that it wouldn't live up to the hype and I am so glad that it did. (1,889 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -7.4%

Poured from a bottle rather vigorously into a Cigar City snifter. I have been sitting on this brew for almost a year, the time has come!

A: Pours black in color, some shades of ruby red and dark brown around the edges. A gorgeous, 1 finger worth of mocha colored head sat on top of what seemed to be motor oil. As it recedes to a nice cap, spotty lacing is left behind with a great amount of alcohol legs.

S: Nose is of roasted coffee beans, molasses, black licorice, faint ash, and some alcohol. This bottle had about 1 year cellared, nose might of suffered as far as coffee notes and such. Still very nice, but I will definitely look for a fresher bottle.

T: Bitter coffee notes, roasted malts, bitter dark chocolate, light molasses, and a hint of alcohol.

M: Medium bodied; Considering this beer was brewed with oats I was a bit disappointed with the mouthfeel. I was expecting a more silkier, velvety mouthfeel, but to no avail. Still, with a good amount of carbonation and some alcohol, the palate is refreshed and never dull. Great breakfast brew, I most definitely recommend. (1,086 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +9.1%

Bottle opened on 8/10/11 and poured into a Port Brewing pint glass. Served at 55 degrees.

A- Dark black body, perhaps a tad watery, with a thick mocha head. The head fades quickly and leaves no lacing. Looks like black coffee.

S- Malt, chocolate, vanilla, very sweet. Smells divine.

T- Lots of dark coffee and chocolate. Extremely smooth. And for almost 11%, this has almost no alcohol taste. Really tasty. Also, great coffee aftertaste. The coffee beans used are really unique and leads to an edge over other oatmeal stouts.

M- Low carbonation and extremely smooth. A little light bodied, but would be great with, well, brunch.

O- What an awesome beer. I don't want to stop drinking it. I wish it was a bit cheaper, but at $15, the quality of this beer is still worth it. Top notch. (791 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Purchased at Hyde Park Wine and Spirts in Hyde Park, OH. Thanks for the heads up on this Jaeger! I was a bit nervous trying this new beer. The thought of drinking Civet cat poop, brewed in my beer, makes me a little uneasy. However, I am going to give it a try.

A: Pours black, with a 1/2 inch dark tan to brown head. Lacing is thick on initial pour.

S: Smells just like the description on the bottle. Huge coffee tones, with an underlying oatmeal backing. Very mild alcohol nose for being a 10.9 APV.

T/M: A very solid medium body. A rush of rich, smooth coffee, followed by a wave of alcohol bite. I felt the alcohol warm my chest as I swallowed. Aftertaste was a lot like the aftertaste of drinking a Starbucks coffee, however, the big alcohol makes it finish dry. Very big, loud, over exaggerated, sharp flavors. Nothing is mellow on this beer.

D: 10.9% APV, this is a bottle to share with a friend. A very nice sipper. The dryness makes you go back for more. 4.0

Well, I have to say this is the closest thing I have ever had to cat poop in my mouth (knowingly) that I can think of, however, this beer was a nice surprise. I would definitely pick it up again, given the chance, however the large price tag is something to consider. (1,243 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

A. Dark, dense chocolate color. minimal head, mouth is already watering!
s. First off, I LOVE coffe. This beer reeks of decadent coffee with a tinge of chocolate(60/40 maybe)
T. If it where bread it would be a cookie! Relatively sweet, with just enough cloying balancing the 11% alcohol. Flat out fantastic!
M. Everything you would expect out of coffee oatmeal stout. For me a benchmark brew!
D. Dangerously tasty, nothing of a session brew but definetly desirable. One bottle is quite satisfying and a big enough beer to share.

One of my personnel favorites. I love this brew!!
Thank You Mikkeller. (601 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +8.1%

Copied Directly from notes taken June 1, 2009 at Beer Bistro in Toronto.

Into tulip with beautiful light brown head. No light comes through

N. Roasted. Maybe a little burnt malt. Slightest hint of booze. Sweet overripe fruit. Just a hint of cofeee, so small I wonder if I am imagining it because of the bottle description

T. Charred wood. Medium bitterness. Coffee. Roasty malt. Little heat at the end.

M. Maybe not as viscous as an impy or as creamy as a oatmeal stout (note: at the time I didn't realize it was classified as a "Imperial Oatmeal Stout"- I guess you could say the mouthfeel either failed in both categories or struck a perfect balance between the two... I'm leaning toward the latter).

This shit (note: I think the pun was intended) is delicious. I could drink way more than would be good for me.    (825 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +4.9%

I've been curious about this beer and the coffee it's brewed with for a looong time.

This is one black as fuck beer. Seriously, light is afraid of this thing, even the head is a deep mocha color, out of fear of offending the liquid beneath it no doubt.

This has a deceptively sublte aroma, nice roasted malt, some coffee character, but very, very subtle.

ok. This is more than I can really handle. I do no possess he capabilies to fully appreciate the amazing, and yet somehow demented nature of this beer. Good job, you Danish bastard.... Dark chocolate, coffee (duH), black licorice, earth, weasel shit (a mother of a gourmand of a weasel at that), mud after a spring rain, a bit of Chtulu, serious stuff this is, seriously. This beer is a shitshow...this is brewed with the blood of the Old Gods, or I'm way too messed up from the sensory shockwave that this beer has wreaked upon my fragile sense of self to comprehend. I also as my friend Alan sagely pointed out, it has a faint taste of poo bitterness. And chocolate covered cherries...I can go on, but I may just amend this review after I drink my other bottle (I bought two...so far).

Surprisingly light body and smooth mouthfeel for a beer of this ABV. The alcohol only only makes it's presence known towards the end as it warms up.

I just want to keep drinking this until I figure it out...it drinks well, very well. I'm not sure when I will brave another bottle of this, but I doubt I will be any more prepared. (1,478 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +8.1%

Been after this one for a while and finally scored a bottle in a trade. This one is just straight up sexy. The pour is somewhat thick, almost gives off the impression of pouring syrup. The foam was about half a finger thick, but the color was just amazing to look at. It was brownish with thin/small bubbles. The head retention was pretty good and it left a little bit of lacing on the rim of the glass. The aroma had hints of chocolate malts, coffee bean and vanilla, just to name a few. The flavors are mixed together so well that it's really hard to tell that it has a 10.9%ABV. A great beer. I'll definitely get this one again. (631 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%

I'm not big on reviewing beers, because I don't think I have the nose for picking up the subtle nuances of smell. Sometimes I wonder if my nose is not as good as others when it comes to picking up things like "" or "", but I tend to doubt myself, so I'm forging ahead with this review since I've had 3 bottles of this.

Appearance: It passes the appearance test with flying colors because it passes my standard test: If you can't see through it ... that's a good thing! I wasn't careful pouring and got a two-finger head of fluffy tan bubbles that left a lacing on the glass that didn't distract me from the taste, which in my humble opinion, is more important than the pattern the bubbles left!

Smell: coffee ... strong coffee. In my opinion, that's a wonderful thing. I have a buddy in Stevens Point, WI, that makes beer runs for me when coming to visit me in central Illinois. I told him if he can't get ahold of me to bring beer you can't see through, smells like raisins, coffee or chocolate, chews like oatmeal and has high ABV. This brew passes all tests.

Taste is great. Not the best I've ever had, but nothing to complain about. In fact, I enjoyed it immensely. I've had this before and I might be reaching here, but I don't think this beer is consistent. It seemed better this time. That's tough to judge, but I loved it this time. Last time I like it ... a lot.

Mouthfeel: not too thin, not too thick. I've had beers that hit both extremes. This seemed just right. It's tough to tell if it's a better bottle or I was just in the mood for this. Either way, it was very good.

Overall: I'll buy this again. I might not be as impressed as much next time if I have high expectations, but I feel the need to buy it again and share it with my brother-in-law.

I never thought I'd drink that coffee that weasels crap out but now I have ... and I liked it! (1,864 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -15.6%

Not sure where this bottle came from. I have been sitting on it for a while waiting for the opportunity to try.

Poured a jet black with a very slight head.

The smell, and taste, were different. Coffee; but nothing I am familiar with. In Fact, I would love to try this coffee straight. It has an earthy taste to it.

Smooth. Such a robust coffee flavor, i almost can't taste the beer. I will admit, to me, it is a little too much for this style. I prefer the regular. But props to attempting this. (498 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dark as a black hole, another Mikkeller beer. Mocha head, quickly fading but 1/8 inch persisted. Fine lacing.

Dark, dark roasted aromas. Malt, coffee. cocoa powder.

Made from Indonesian civet coffee, Kopi Luak, but thankfully no "organic" tastes. Tastes like cold espresso, a profoundly dark roast with little bitterness. A bit of chalkiness.

Very thick and creamy, but almost too substantial to be smooth. Doesn't quite go down easily.

A very interesting Imperial Stout. Worth savoring. (491 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

500 ml bottle poured into a Struise tulip glass. No sharing, this was ALL mine! One needs to indulge sometimes, it's good for the soul. Bad for the wasteline though.

A: I hate to use the word, but as imperial coffee stouts go, this is literally perfection. Pitch black with no light coming through whatsoever, topped by the darkest head I've ever seen. It literally looks like frothed-up candy syrup and espresso.

S: Huge aroma explosion of fresh coffee beans, some hops and roasted malts. Coffee is obviously the star here, followed by dark baker's chocolate, some dried fruits, hops and candy sugar. This is probably one of the most gorgeous things you'll smell in your life.

T: It also delivers on the taste in a huge way. Coffee is the shining star here, but it also cuts through the richness of the coffee, chocolate and brown sugar with some hops. Beautiful little zips and zings that will challenge your palate with every sip.

M: Soft carbonation, creamy and beautiful. I might have actually preferred this beer just a tad flatter, so this is pretty much the only point where it isn't damn near perfect for me. This beer is also infamous for forming glycerol (a jelly-like byproduct) at the bottom of the bottle over aging.

O: Literally the only thing that lets this beer down is the glycerol and slightly overcarbonated mouthfeel, which you could obviously partially remedy by letting it breathe for a while. Other than that, this is as close to Heaven as a non-believing man like me will likely get. Thank you Denmark, for this 500 ml of damn-near perfection. (1,573 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.25

L: Pitch black, with a little head that dissolves quickly
S: Smells medicinal, no coffee, no chocolate, no alcohol
T: Disappointing, the most prominent flavor is medicine...very strange. Not sure how this passed quality control. It's unbelievable that this currently has a 4.32 rating.
F: It's thick and smooth. Great feel.
O: Not good, and pricey. Worst of both worlds. (375 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +9.5%

WOW!

A- DARK opaque brown with a two finger creamy tan head

S- very slight aromas of coffee and roasted malt

T- oh, man. Roasty, sweet and fruity. Honey overtones. Nice creaminess to it. There's hops in it. Seriously. The coffee taste is strong but not dominating. It's like a cup of coffee with beer in it. The taste lingers on the tongue with toffee, plums and ipear. The alcohol is barely noticeable. This beer is nearly perfect.

M- Creamy and Silky, with astringent bite that doesn't really go away.

D- I could drink this all day... if it wasn't so freakin strong.

Overall, this is possibly the best coffee stout that I've ever had. The price tag is a little high, but worth it for a day of treating yourself. I'm going to buy another one, just to see how it ages. (775 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -13.3%

Pours a deep brownish black with a 1.5" toffee colored head.

Nose is of rosted espresso, cocoa powder, and some booze.

Definitely more of an espresso taste than a coffee. It's a little more acidic than I was expecting. It's huge on the roasted flavor and it has some chocolate in there but not as much as I expected. It has a subtle nuttiness to it, but I was hoping for a little more complexity.

It feels like I'm drinking stout flavored maple syrup. It is by far one of the thickest beers I have ever drank. It's not very smooth, and it hits my stomach like a bag of bricks.

Overall, I wish I wouldnt have paid $14 for this one. It was pretty tasty, but it was so thick it was almost not enjoyable. (704 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +1.6%

A: Pours a dark black that looks like used motor oil. Not much appearance on the head, but it did have a little bit of caramel colored head on it that went away quickly. Still has a ring around the top, and some film left on it.

S: Dark roasted malt, with a smell of coffee on it obviously. Has a hint of chocolate on the smell.

T: Dark roasted malts, and a coffee taste. It tastes just like it smells.

M: Lighter body than I would expect, although it is leaning toward medium. Its blended nicely, with just a few prominent flavors. Light to Medium carbonation.

O: A nice stout to drink, probably the best I've had. I've got a growler of this stuff to go through, and I think I'll enjoy it along. Unforunately I dont have too much to say about it, other than its a tasty brew. (781 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%

A- Pours a standard stout black with very generous 3" tan head from slow, cautious pour. Appears to be quite carbonated.
S- Smell isn't too complex and I feel bad for writing this over and over again, but the smell is chocolate covered coffee beans. I feel bad because almost all coffee stouts smell like this to me, but the coffee in this beer is much richer and bolder than usual.
T- Taste is remarkable. First thing I notice is how ridiculously creamy this beer is. I know this is more of a mouthfeel thing, but you can taste the creaminess I think. The coffee is rich, bold, and delicious. Chocolate malt also very apparent and goes nicely with the beer. The coffee really blends nicely with a very hearty deeply roasted malt flavor. The roasted malt and coffee go together perfectly. Slightly warming, but not very noticeable. Alcohol is perfectly hidden by the complex flavors.
M- Mouthfeel is probably the best of any beer I can remember. Viscosity is perfect, carbonation is perfect, and the creaminess is absolutely incredible.
D- Drinkability, given the ABV, is also excellent. Alcohol is masked beautifully by the complex flavors, and, if the beer weren't so damn expensive, I could throw back quite a few of these. (1,229 characters)

Beer Geek Brunch Weasel from Mikkeller ApS