Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Beer Geek Brunch Weasel - Mikkeller ApS

Beer Geek Brunch WeaselBeer Geek Brunch Weasel

Mikkeller ApS visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.90% ABV

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 01-02-2009

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.

Imperial oatmeal stout brewed with coffee. Ingredients: Water, malts, hops, yeast and Vietnamese ca phe chon coffee.
Reviews: 795 | Hads: 2,652
4.37/5  rDev +1.4%

22oz. bottle poured into a standard shaker glass. Appearance is a very dark brown color with less than one finger of head. The smell if very robust. The smell is roasted espresso beans to a whole new level. Almost a burn smell. The taste matches the smell. This beer has the richest roasted coffe flavor of any beer I have consumed. The mouth feel is very thick and enjoyable. I would reach for this agian but I would have to be in the mood for coffee.

4.21/5  rDev -2.3%

Wow loved this. Nice hop nose and the flavor was incredible.Nice easy to drink and smooth roasted malts coming together with a really nice balance. Smooth and creamy. This was my favorite of the evening and I had it beside a BA Speedway.I will be picking more of this up for sure. Thanks Marsiblursi...

4.61/5  rDev +7%

A: Beautiful deep brownish black that gives of a cherry black hue when swirled in the glass.

S: Coffee and roast dominate this beer with grassy hops towards the end

T: This beer is seriously a joy to drink. Lovely complementary coffee flavors that gently and subtly enhance the chocolate roast. The roast is almost not apparent but is still there on the back end with light vanilla to go along with it.

M: A slight smooth and chewy stout that has a very well balanced sweet character that warms the tongue.

O: Imperial Stouts are my favorite and this by far one of the better ones I've had the pleasure of tasting. I will be buying more to test their aging abilities.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Pours a black color with a caramel colored head. Has an aroma of roast, vanilla, chocolate, and soy. Has a sweet roasty taste with some coffee bitters on the back end and a nice velvety chocolate finish. A little coffee spice that lingers. Creamy and smooth. Very good.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

So I had to drink one of these and give it a review. I just reviewed the Beer Hop Breakfast and I realized it had been far too long since I have had one.

So pouring this thing out you know your in for something special. This think is pure darkness. The head looks like chocolate foam. After a while it subsides leaving a creamy layer with big bubbles. The smell is really nice. The coffee really comes though with a little bit of hop character. I think the Beer Hop Breakfast has a stronger bouquet. What the Hop Breakfast doesn't have is the nice dark flavor of the Coffee. From the smell you would expect more of a hoppy flavor but it's all but missing. Instead all you get is a nice coffee flavor with a subtle bitter ending that lingers very nicely. The overall mouthfeel is nice and heavy. This one really coats the throat and the carbonation is very subtle.

This is such a good beer. I really enjoy taking my time sipping through a bottle. I could easily drink way to much of this one. If you're not afraid of Coffee that has been reclaimed from Weasel poop then you should try this beer. It is really good.

4.52/5  rDev +4.9%

Thanks again for the Bier Stein for having this in stock.

A: Black as the night, pours like motor oil. A light khaki colored head is present but disappears rather quickly. Nice lacing throughout the glass.

S: Coffee, chocolate, and vanilla are very present. Light hops are present in the aroma, but it is also quite malty. I love the smell of coffee in my beer.

T: Chocolate and vanilla are the main characteristics that I tasted. I let it sit for about 20 mins. and could then pick up some very pungent coffee notes.

M: It goes down quite well, very chewy almost.

D: So I was recommended this beer by a friend, and when he described it to me about the weasel poop, I was interested, confused, and sort of shocked to hear something like that. When I described it to others, they thought I was nuts for drinking something like this. I would like to try this one again, as well as the other beer geek brunch beers.

4.13/5  rDev -4.2%

Decided to try this when we heard about the origin. Something this different has to be put to the hype test.

A- completely black with a sticky, lacey, carbonated head of dark brown. The head floats almost above the beer with a oily separation from the body. This grabs onto to sides of the glass and refuses to let go.

S- Cocoa, and coffee. A musty smell and a little bit of gym sock.

T- Stong coffee backbone and a warming alcohol feel but not enough to effect the taste. A solid aftertaste of licorice.

M- Slight creamy feel but very gritty. Feels good on the toungue but the oilyness sticks to the roof of my mouth.

D- Strong flavors give this a good pupose and would be great to test your palet but one time is enough. Glad to try it but probably a one time deal.

4.02/5  rDev -6.7%

Hmmm...a stout brewed from weasle shit? This HAS to be a winner! 1 pt. 9 fl oz. bottle, slightly chilled, no freshness date, presented in a SN pint glass.

The pour produces a huge chocolate brown five finger head. Huge bubbles, lots of foam, and much sticky lacing. Dark brown, let's face it, BLACK body body. Seemingly opaque with some ruby highlights.

There's alot going on in the nose of this stout. Smoked wood, bitter chocolate, BACON, tobacco, leather, pit fruit, and a hint of freshly brewed coffee beans can all be smelled.

Loads of burnt BURNT burnt chocolates. This is an ultra bitter coffee beer if there ever was one. Smoke can be noticed mid pallette with some strong coffee flavors. You can actually taste the bacon here...

Thick and oily mouthfeel...all the qualifications of an impy stout in my book!

The burnt and bitter coffee can be a bit overbearing at times, which hurts it's drinkability. 1 in a sitting should get you your coffee fix.

Another great geek beer brew from Mikkeller. Not as good as the Breakfast in my opinion, but still a solid impy stout. I think they accomplished what they set out for with this one. Those weasel turds are strong!

4.73/5  rDev +9.7%

Black body, tan head. Big frothy tan head with excellent retention and lacing. Probably the best head I've ever seen on an imperial stout.

Quite a sharp smell. Definite coffee, a hint of dark chocolate, lots of burnt grain. A touch of carob? Theres a hit of alcohol in the smell too but it doesnt dilute the richness of everything else.

A nice burnt malty sweetness hits first. Only slightly sweet though. All kind of burnt bready and cakey textures mingle at the back of the tongue and strong coffee flavours throughout. Definite chocolate tastes make an appearance at the end too. An acerbic bitterness lingers. Burnt grain and espresso coffee. The aftertaste is like one has had a few shots of espresso and a rich dark fruit cake for breakfast. Except not really fruity.

Full bodied, smooth and the alcohol is well hidden. Carbonation is spot on. Just enough to give a silkiness, not enough to tingle.

Very drinkable for the syle. A slow drinking beer of course, but you'll be taking your time just to savour it for longer.

2.4/5  rDev -44.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

My review is not going to be popular as I am not impressed by this beer. It has an oaky chocalately thin medicinal feel that is not very appealing. This beer is one dimension and seems to taste of Band-Aids. This beer barely held a head even in a Duvel glass that has an etching in the bottom to help maintain a head. Glad to have tried this respected brew but don't see myself returning to it anytime soon. Didn't finish my pint before submitting this review to top it off a pile of sludge at the end of this beer...sorry just wrong.

4.28/5  rDev -0.7%

I have no idea on the vintage, but I saw a few bottles that looked like they survived an explosion (splattered with dried beer) and snatched one up.

Pours a thick molasses with some red and brown tinges, very little head at first but then billowing up and looking like a chocolate malted shake. The aroma has a distinct european sweetness, dark roasted malt, and bitter coffee through and through.

The first taste... wow. That's coffee. I mean, I feel like I just ordered an espresso in Sicily and they gave me a shot of beer on the side. The bitterness of the coffee regulates this to a sipper and forces me to really focus on tracking down the other flavors, which are subtle and in the background - belgian yeast, pumpernickel bread, tobacco, and a bit of burnt chocolate.

The mouthfeel is a bit syrupy, but not overly-so... just a bit heightened by the bitterness that coats the back of my mouth without much sweetness to balance it out. Overall it is delicious and unique, but not something I would want regularly - still, very glad I got a chance to try it!

3.93/5  rDev -8.8%

Picked this up at Monument Wine and Spirits for $15. Split with a friend in regular pint glasses at about 45°F.

Pours opaque black, producing a huge, chunky head that varies in color from light to dark tan. Lacing and the (initially resilient) head disappear with the beer.

I didn't get as much coffee on the nose as I was expecting. It was definitely there, just not as pronounced as with many other coffee-based Imperial stouts. Milk chocolate, cola, cherries, and a bit of oak were all present.

Taste is initially dominated by milk/dark chocolate and bitter coffee. As it warms, sweet dark fruit, roasted malt, caramel, and a strong hop presence are revealed. Strong bitter coffee hits on the sides of the tongue and lasts long after the swallow.

There's a review on here stating this beer has minimal carbonation and a full body. I found just the opposite: TONS of carbonation... almost soft drink like. The body was medium for the style, and a tad oily. Alcohol was well-hidden.

A sipper, but one completely worth seeking out if you enjoy coffee-infused imperial stouts.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Served on tap at Smiths Billiards in Springfield, MA on St. Patricks Day...thanks Jim!

A - Served in a smaller wine glass. Completely opaque and dark with about a half inch of tan head. Modest lacing covering the glass.

S - Roasted coffee and some chocolate dominate.

T - Again, roasted coffee and chocolate...this beer is so full of flavor! Tastes thick like a stout, but smokey like a porter.

M - Very thick and vicous brew, but dangerously drinkable and smooth. Full-bodied heavier beer. The smokey flavors linger and they cover up the alcohol almost completely...hard to do at 10.9%.

O - Overall a great beer. I feel like I could drink a ton of this stuff, but that is probably the 10.9% already taking affect and speaking. Perfect beer to drink at a bonfire, but pretty pricey.

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%

Nearly black colored body with a creamy rich looking brown head. Head went away shortly after being poured. The beer looks great sitting in the glass and swirling it around brings back a nice cap of head.

Big roasted notes that smell like burnt wood/campfire smoke. Not a rauchbier smoke aroma though. Black coffee, leather, tobacco, espresso, and dark chocolate.

Bitter dark chocolate starts out with the roasted malts and a bit of cocoa powder kicking in fairly quick as well. The palate is left with a BIG amount of dry roasted coffee and espresso bean flavor. The star of the show here. The coffee flavor is incredible. Smooth, creamy, not to heavy, and very drinkable. Carbonation keeps everything moving along. A touch of hops are coming through also right at the middle of each sip.

A great example of what coffee can do in a beer. Tastes like a fresh pot of black coffee and a shot of espresso were poured into this stout. If you're looking for a beer to drink in the morning or one to wake up to knowing that you're going to drink it sometime during the day, this is it!

4.48/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a tulip.

A - Nearly jet-black, thick-looking beer that coats the glass. Lots of mocha-brown head. Tiny bubbles form along the ridge and over the top of the head. Good retention, great lacing.

S - A lot of the roasty smells you'd associated with a standard imperial stout, but with more cocoa and coffee (unsurprisingly). Also some oak, vanilla, and tobacco in the nose. Intense, but not as much coffee as I was expecting.

T - Big bitter coffee and chocolate up front, that fades with the sweetness of the tremendous malt bill. Not as much alcohol present as you'd expect, but it's definitely there... even after sitting this bottle down for a couple of years it's still running hot. Finishes with a nice bitter espresso finish that lingers.

M - This beer is more like a milkshake than a light lager. This is a massive, chewy brew that definitely lets you know it's there. Sweet finish.

O - Excellent Imperial Coffee Stout. I'd recommend getting a few bottles and seeing how they change over a few years. It's big, it's bitter, it's heavy, and it is absolutely delicious.

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%

After hearing about this beer time and time again, I finally broke and bought a bottle, even though the story behind the coffee used grossed me out.

A: Motor Oil. Pours really thick. Copper brown head 1 finger thick. Really good lacing.

S: Smoky, coffee. Booze.

T: Toms of smoky espresso. Dried fruitiness. Light vanilla characteristic add an odd character to the finish.

M: On the thick side with mild carbonation.

O: Good, but really over hyped.

4.56/5  rDev +5.8%

Stout for lunch on a 60 degree day? Okay!

Pours an oily, slick black with 2 fingers of brown head. Held up to a sunny window, no light makes it all the way through the beer. This stuff is BLACK.

Sweetness, like chocolate, booze, and subtle coffee. No strong guess as to which flavor will dominate the taste.

Sweetness and oats hit me first, and then I get a blast of booze and chocolate. The chocolate is actually fairly dry feeling. Another flavor is in there too, which starts small and gradually takes over your entire mouth. What is it exactly? At first I didn't know, and then it hit me: This is ultra-rich coffee! Wow!

Oily and thick, and mouth-coating. You could chew on this stuff like gum.

I'm pretty sure I would drink this with breakfast. It would be delicious. The only thing stopping me is the 10.9% ABV. I'm a little concerned about having it for lunch, in fact. glad I'm not driving today. Other than that, this stout is fantastic. A coffee-lover's stout, and a stout-lover's breakfast.

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%

A: Yup, looks like a stout. Very black with a thick, creamy one finger head. It doesn't recede TOO fat for a beer of this abv. No real lace, however.

S: You can smell the coffee, but the alcohol is there too. Malty with some dark fruit barely present.

MF: Full-bodied and downright thick. THIS is what I think of when I hear people say a beer is "chewy" (though I'm still not totally clear on if I have that term right ;) ). The carbonation is light, but perfect for the style IMO. I'm knocking off half a point for the bite of the alcohol.

T: I drink my coffee every morning -- the darkest blend I can find -- black. So this is right up my alley. I wouldn't quite call it espresso as there is a chocolaty sweetness in the middle. The alcohol is definitely present, leaving a hotness in my mouth and warmth in my belly. The oatmeal does a great job of giving this one some meat on it bones and balancing the whole affair. It is pretty acidic, but I like that.

Overall: I really enjoyed this. Hard to imagine a better name for it and it was fun to inform my friends and family I was drinking a beer made from weasel droppings! It's definitely hot and a sipping beer for sure. Having also had the Beer Geek breakfast I can definitely say I prefer this one, hands down!

4.59/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours black into snifter with a large beige head. Aroma is weasel poo consisting of a carnivorous mixture of mice, rabbits, gophers, chipmunks and the ocassional coffee bean (had to do it). No this brew has a STRONG coffee, smokey, and chocolate aroma. Might be one of the strongest coffee aromas out there in a beer, (maybe peche mortal compares?) Flavor is great, at first I thought it might be too strong for the flavor profile but there is a nice hop and malt backbone to make it quite enjoyable. Not as much coffee in the flavor as you would think by the aroma. The hops surprised me the most such a solid addition to the typical smoky malt and chocolate malt profile. Finish is slightly dry and slightly bitter. A thoughly enjoyable beer.
Oh yeah in case you wondered if more is coming I found this at the Mikkeller website:

"It is not unproblematic to get your hands on sufficient amounts of the rare and very expensive 'weasel pooh coffee'. But now it seems that a delivery is underway. A Vietnamese coffee plantation owner has promised to deliver the coffee immediately. He reports that on his plantation no weasels go to bed hungry . Every morning he gets out of bed when the dawn is still cracking only to collect the precious pooh. Very soon all the pooh will be send to Nøgen Ø (Naked Island) in Norway where Mikkel will brew the next batch of Beer Geek Brunch in the middle of April"

Fresh batch in April!

3.92/5  rDev -9%

Poured from a 750ml Bottle into an Odell's Pint Glass

A: Pours a very dark brown almost black color. Interestingly enough there was almost no head. Really black, did mention how black it was?

S: Coffee. Acidic coffee dominates the nose with slight hints of chocolate in the background

T: Smooth and just tons of coffee. I love coffee personally and I was not prepared for the first few sips of this guy. It really is a great beer and gets better after a few sips. It is not a coffee flavor that I have encountered before, a very different bean indeed. The lingering taste reminds me of the aftertaste of drinking a cup of black coffee. Did I mention it tastes like coffee?

M: Honestly this beer was a little bit thinner than I was hoping. Based on the color and full flavor I was truly expecting a bit thicker beer. Also the fact that there had been no head when it was poured the carbonation level was actually pretty good

Overall: I like this beer. I don't know that I would keep one around but if it was cold and I was in the mood I may be able to drink it again. This one was too much coffee even for a coffee lover.

2.97/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.25

L: Pitch black, with a little head that dissolves quickly
S: Smells medicinal, no coffee, no chocolate, no alcohol
T: Disappointing, the most prominent flavor is medicine...very strange. Not sure how this passed quality control. It's unbelievable that this currently has a 4.32 rating.
F: It's thick and smooth. Great feel.
O: Not good, and pricey. Worst of both worlds.

4.78/5  rDev +10.9%

Shared with two non-BA friends who frankly were kind of freaked out by the concept, until they tasted it.

A- Deep black with a coffee with cream colored head that was thick and fluffy for a minute or so.

S- Coffee on coffee with beautiful malty tones and woody or nutty hints

T- Bark was worse than it's bite, nice milder coffee flavor, bittersweet chocolate. The brewers did a great job of hiding the higher ABV

M- At first it had a nice mouth feel, viscous and a touch dry but good. At the end it had some texture and left grit in the glass

D- Could drink a bunch more but with only 7K bottles in the US, expense and rarity of the coffee, not likely. Good special occasion sipper

4.08/5  rDev -5.3%

A: Pours a pitch black body with a foamy dark toffee head that leaves a thick, smoky lacing.

S: Pure cocoa, roasted coffee bean and oats are the stars here with cinnamon, alcohol and smoked meat as a supporting cast.

T: Very smooth coffee and roasted malts, slightly on the sweet side but with some acidity. Laces your mouth with tobacco - pipe tobacco. Get a quick shot of the alcohol. A slightly bitter cocoa finish. Intense.

M: Leaves your mouth tingling and salivating, and coats it with tobacco - like the best cigar you've had. Maybe the beer's strongest point.

D: It's absurdly heavy and intense and not that drinkable for the style. Take it slow.

4.87/5  rDev +13%

500 mL from the second batch into a Sam Smith tulip pint glass

A: This beer pours like a black hole. A soul-sucking vortex that mercilessly devours all light. Half finger copper/brown head that disappears quickly and leaves a faint ring of its former-self. No lacing.

S: Massive cocoa smells, think 85% dark chocolate bar kind of cocoa. A mountain of roasted ground coffee. Caramel, burnt grains, raisins and vanilla in that order. Warming alcohol tickles my nose. Bitter and acidic with sweet notes and a slight boozy characteristic, exactly how an imperial stout should smell to me.

T: First sip, wow this beats every imperial stout I've had until now. Right away I get the raisins and booze but its not a particularly hot beer, even at almost 11% ABV. Heavy on the chocolate, which I loved about this beer, with some vanilla and caramel pulling through. Then the coffee hits. I hate coffee, I love coffee flavor, but I hate coffee none the less. This beer might just make a coffee drinker out of me. Smooth and even a little creamy, beautifully balanced between bitter and fruity, bold and tasty daring you to have another sip right away. Absolutely incredible. None of the ash/smoke/charcoal mentioned from others that have had this batch, mine was perfect.

M: I knew when it poured thick enough to be mistaken for molasses that this would be great. Thick, viscous, and coating on my tongue. Not overly carbonated either. Not so thick and flat that I need to choke it down, but man this beer is a meal.

D: This beer dares you to have sip after sip, bottle after bottle until the day you no longer can enjoy this wonderful beer. The ABV, price, and availability prevent this though. I wish this were more easily available at least, this may be my new favorite imperial stout. What an incredible beer, I was nervous that it wouldn't live up to the hype and I am so glad that it did.

3.98/5  rDev -7.7%

Poured from a bottle rather vigorously into a Cigar City snifter. I have been sitting on this brew for almost a year, the time has come!

A: Pours black in color, some shades of ruby red and dark brown around the edges. A gorgeous, 1 finger worth of mocha colored head sat on top of what seemed to be motor oil. As it recedes to a nice cap, spotty lacing is left behind with a great amount of alcohol legs.

S: Nose is of roasted coffee beans, molasses, black licorice, faint ash, and some alcohol. This bottle had about 1 year cellared, nose might of suffered as far as coffee notes and such. Still very nice, but I will definitely look for a fresher bottle.

T: Bitter coffee notes, roasted malts, bitter dark chocolate, light molasses, and a hint of alcohol.

M: Medium bodied; Considering this beer was brewed with oats I was a bit disappointed with the mouthfeel. I was expecting a more silkier, velvety mouthfeel, but to no avail. Still, with a good amount of carbonation and some alcohol, the palate is refreshed and never dull. Great breakfast brew, I most definitely recommend.

Beer Geek Brunch Weasel from Mikkeller ApS