Join our email list →

Denmark | website

American Double / Imperial Stout | 10.90% ABV

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 01-02-2009

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.

Imperial oatmeal stout brewed with coffee. Ingredients: Water, malts, hops, yeast and Vietnamese ca phe chon coffee.
Reviews: 812 | Hads: 2,741
4.28/5  rDev -0.7%

I have no idea on the vintage, but I saw a few bottles that looked like they survived an explosion (splattered with dried beer) and snatched one up.

Pours a thick molasses with some red and brown tinges, very little head at first but then billowing up and looking like a chocolate malted shake. The aroma has a distinct european sweetness, dark roasted malt, and bitter coffee through and through.

The first taste... wow. That's coffee. I mean, I feel like I just ordered an espresso in Sicily and they gave me a shot of beer on the side. The bitterness of the coffee regulates this to a sipper and forces me to really focus on tracking down the other flavors, which are subtle and in the background - belgian yeast, pumpernickel bread, tobacco, and a bit of burnt chocolate.

The mouthfeel is a bit syrupy, but not overly-so... just a bit heightened by the bitterness that coats the back of my mouth without much sweetness to balance it out. Overall it is delicious and unique, but not something I would want regularly - still, very glad I got a chance to try it!

2.4/5  rDev -44.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

My review is not going to be popular as I am not impressed by this beer. It has an oaky chocalately thin medicinal feel that is not very appealing. This beer is one dimension and seems to taste of Band-Aids. This beer barely held a head even in a Duvel glass that has an etching in the bottom to help maintain a head. Glad to have tried this respected brew but don't see myself returning to it anytime soon. Didn't finish my pint before submitting this review to top it off a pile of sludge at the end of this beer...sorry just wrong.

3.93/5  rDev -8.8%

Picked this up at Monument Wine and Spirits for $15. Split with a friend in regular pint glasses at about 45°F.

Pours opaque black, producing a huge, chunky head that varies in color from light to dark tan. Lacing and the (initially resilient) head disappear with the beer.

I didn't get as much coffee on the nose as I was expecting. It was definitely there, just not as pronounced as with many other coffee-based Imperial stouts. Milk chocolate, cola, cherries, and a bit of oak were all present.

Taste is initially dominated by milk/dark chocolate and bitter coffee. As it warms, sweet dark fruit, roasted malt, caramel, and a strong hop presence are revealed. Strong bitter coffee hits on the sides of the tongue and lasts long after the swallow.

There's a review on here stating this beer has minimal carbonation and a full body. I found just the opposite: TONS of carbonation... almost soft drink like. The body was medium for the style, and a tad oily. Alcohol was well-hidden.

A sipper, but one completely worth seeking out if you enjoy coffee-infused imperial stouts.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Served on tap at Smiths Billiards in Springfield, MA on St. Patricks Day...thanks Jim!

A - Served in a smaller wine glass. Completely opaque and dark with about a half inch of tan head. Modest lacing covering the glass.

S - Roasted coffee and some chocolate dominate.

T - Again, roasted coffee and chocolate...this beer is so full of flavor! Tastes thick like a stout, but smokey like a porter.

M - Very thick and vicous brew, but dangerously drinkable and smooth. Full-bodied heavier beer. The smokey flavors linger and they cover up the alcohol almost completely...hard to do at 10.9%.

O - Overall a great beer. I feel like I could drink a ton of this stuff, but that is probably the 10.9% already taking affect and speaking. Perfect beer to drink at a bonfire, but pretty pricey.

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%

Nearly black colored body with a creamy rich looking brown head. Head went away shortly after being poured. The beer looks great sitting in the glass and swirling it around brings back a nice cap of head.

Big roasted notes that smell like burnt wood/campfire smoke. Not a rauchbier smoke aroma though. Black coffee, leather, tobacco, espresso, and dark chocolate.

Bitter dark chocolate starts out with the roasted malts and a bit of cocoa powder kicking in fairly quick as well. The palate is left with a BIG amount of dry roasted coffee and espresso bean flavor. The star of the show here. The coffee flavor is incredible. Smooth, creamy, not to heavy, and very drinkable. Carbonation keeps everything moving along. A touch of hops are coming through also right at the middle of each sip.

A great example of what coffee can do in a beer. Tastes like a fresh pot of black coffee and a shot of espresso were poured into this stout. If you're looking for a beer to drink in the morning or one to wake up to knowing that you're going to drink it sometime during the day, this is it!

[97/100]

4.48/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a tulip.

A - Nearly jet-black, thick-looking beer that coats the glass. Lots of mocha-brown head. Tiny bubbles form along the ridge and over the top of the head. Good retention, great lacing.

S - A lot of the roasty smells you'd associated with a standard imperial stout, but with more cocoa and coffee (unsurprisingly). Also some oak, vanilla, and tobacco in the nose. Intense, but not as much coffee as I was expecting.

T - Big bitter coffee and chocolate up front, that fades with the sweetness of the tremendous malt bill. Not as much alcohol present as you'd expect, but it's definitely there... even after sitting this bottle down for a couple of years it's still running hot. Finishes with a nice bitter espresso finish that lingers.

M - This beer is more like a milkshake than a light lager. This is a massive, chewy brew that definitely lets you know it's there. Sweet finish.

O - Excellent Imperial Coffee Stout. I'd recommend getting a few bottles and seeing how they change over a few years. It's big, it's bitter, it's heavy, and it is absolutely delicious.

4.56/5  rDev +5.8%

Stout for lunch on a 60 degree day? Okay!

Appearance:
Pours an oily, slick black with 2 fingers of brown head. Held up to a sunny window, no light makes it all the way through the beer. This stuff is BLACK.

Smell:
Sweetness, like chocolate, booze, and subtle coffee. No strong guess as to which flavor will dominate the taste.

Taste:
Sweetness and oats hit me first, and then I get a blast of booze and chocolate. The chocolate is actually fairly dry feeling. Another flavor is in there too, which starts small and gradually takes over your entire mouth. What is it exactly? At first I didn't know, and then it hit me: This is ultra-rich coffee! Wow!

Mouthfeel:
Oily and thick, and mouth-coating. You could chew on this stuff like gum.

Overall:
I'm pretty sure I would drink this with breakfast. It would be delicious. The only thing stopping me is the 10.9% ABV. I'm a little concerned about having it for lunch, in fact. glad I'm not driving today. Other than that, this stout is fantastic. A coffee-lover's stout, and a stout-lover's breakfast.

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%

A: Yup, looks like a stout. Very black with a thick, creamy one finger head. It doesn't recede TOO fat for a beer of this abv. No real lace, however.

S: You can smell the coffee, but the alcohol is there too. Malty with some dark fruit barely present.

MF: Full-bodied and downright thick. THIS is what I think of when I hear people say a beer is "chewy" (though I'm still not totally clear on if I have that term right ;) ). The carbonation is light, but perfect for the style IMO. I'm knocking off half a point for the bite of the alcohol.

T: I drink my coffee every morning -- the darkest blend I can find -- black. So this is right up my alley. I wouldn't quite call it espresso as there is a chocolaty sweetness in the middle. The alcohol is definitely present, leaving a hotness in my mouth and warmth in my belly. The oatmeal does a great job of giving this one some meat on it bones and balancing the whole affair. It is pretty acidic, but I like that.

Overall: I really enjoyed this. Hard to imagine a better name for it and it was fun to inform my friends and family I was drinking a beer made from weasel droppings! It's definitely hot and a sipping beer for sure. Having also had the Beer Geek breakfast I can definitely say I prefer this one, hands down!

4.59/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours black into snifter with a large beige head. Aroma is weasel poo consisting of a carnivorous mixture of mice, rabbits, gophers, chipmunks and the ocassional coffee bean (had to do it). No this brew has a STRONG coffee, smokey, and chocolate aroma. Might be one of the strongest coffee aromas out there in a beer, (maybe peche mortal compares?) Flavor is great, at first I thought it might be too strong for the flavor profile but there is a nice hop and malt backbone to make it quite enjoyable. Not as much coffee in the flavor as you would think by the aroma. The hops surprised me the most such a solid addition to the typical smoky malt and chocolate malt profile. Finish is slightly dry and slightly bitter. A thoughly enjoyable beer.
Oh yeah in case you wondered if more is coming I found this at the Mikkeller website:

"It is not unproblematic to get your hands on sufficient amounts of the rare and very expensive 'weasel pooh coffee'. But now it seems that a delivery is underway. A Vietnamese coffee plantation owner has promised to deliver the coffee immediately. He reports that on his plantation no weasels go to bed hungry . Every morning he gets out of bed when the dawn is still cracking only to collect the precious pooh. Very soon all the pooh will be send to Nøgen Ø (Naked Island) in Norway where Mikkel will brew the next batch of Beer Geek Brunch in the middle of April"

Fresh batch in April!

3.92/5  rDev -9%

Poured from a 750ml Bottle into an Odell's Pint Glass

A: Pours a very dark brown almost black color. Interestingly enough there was almost no head. Really black, did mention how black it was?

S: Coffee. Acidic coffee dominates the nose with slight hints of chocolate in the background

T: Smooth and just tons of coffee. I love coffee personally and I was not prepared for the first few sips of this guy. It really is a great beer and gets better after a few sips. It is not a coffee flavor that I have encountered before, a very different bean indeed. The lingering taste reminds me of the aftertaste of drinking a cup of black coffee. Did I mention it tastes like coffee?

M: Honestly this beer was a little bit thinner than I was hoping. Based on the color and full flavor I was truly expecting a bit thicker beer. Also the fact that there had been no head when it was poured the carbonation level was actually pretty good

Overall: I like this beer. I don't know that I would keep one around but if it was cold and I was in the mood I may be able to drink it again. This one was too much coffee even for a coffee lover.

4.78/5  rDev +10.9%

Shared with two non-BA friends who frankly were kind of freaked out by the concept, until they tasted it.

A- Deep black with a coffee with cream colored head that was thick and fluffy for a minute or so.

S- Coffee on coffee with beautiful malty tones and woody or nutty hints

T- Bark was worse than it's bite, nice milder coffee flavor, bittersweet chocolate. The brewers did a great job of hiding the higher ABV

M- At first it had a nice mouth feel, viscous and a touch dry but good. At the end it had some texture and left grit in the glass

D- Could drink a bunch more but with only 7K bottles in the US, expense and rarity of the coffee, not likely. Good special occasion sipper

4.08/5  rDev -5.3%

A: Pours a pitch black body with a foamy dark toffee head that leaves a thick, smoky lacing.

S: Pure cocoa, roasted coffee bean and oats are the stars here with cinnamon, alcohol and smoked meat as a supporting cast.

T: Very smooth coffee and roasted malts, slightly on the sweet side but with some acidity. Laces your mouth with tobacco - pipe tobacco. Get a quick shot of the alcohol. A slightly bitter cocoa finish. Intense.

M: Leaves your mouth tingling and salivating, and coats it with tobacco - like the best cigar you've had. Maybe the beer's strongest point.

D: It's absurdly heavy and intense and not that drinkable for the style. Take it slow.

4.87/5  rDev +13%

500 mL from the second batch into a Sam Smith tulip pint glass

A: This beer pours like a black hole. A soul-sucking vortex that mercilessly devours all light. Half finger copper/brown head that disappears quickly and leaves a faint ring of its former-self. No lacing.

S: Massive cocoa smells, think 85% dark chocolate bar kind of cocoa. A mountain of roasted ground coffee. Caramel, burnt grains, raisins and vanilla in that order. Warming alcohol tickles my nose. Bitter and acidic with sweet notes and a slight boozy characteristic, exactly how an imperial stout should smell to me.

T: First sip, wow this beats every imperial stout I've had until now. Right away I get the raisins and booze but its not a particularly hot beer, even at almost 11% ABV. Heavy on the chocolate, which I loved about this beer, with some vanilla and caramel pulling through. Then the coffee hits. I hate coffee, I love coffee flavor, but I hate coffee none the less. This beer might just make a coffee drinker out of me. Smooth and even a little creamy, beautifully balanced between bitter and fruity, bold and tasty daring you to have another sip right away. Absolutely incredible. None of the ash/smoke/charcoal mentioned from others that have had this batch, mine was perfect.

M: I knew when it poured thick enough to be mistaken for molasses that this would be great. Thick, viscous, and coating on my tongue. Not overly carbonated either. Not so thick and flat that I need to choke it down, but man this beer is a meal.

D: This beer dares you to have sip after sip, bottle after bottle until the day you no longer can enjoy this wonderful beer. The ABV, price, and availability prevent this though. I wish this were more easily available at least, this may be my new favorite imperial stout. What an incredible beer, I was nervous that it wouldn't live up to the hype and I am so glad that it did.

4.69/5  rDev +8.8%

Bottle opened on 8/10/11 and poured into a Port Brewing pint glass. Served at 55 degrees.

A- Dark black body, perhaps a tad watery, with a thick mocha head. The head fades quickly and leaves no lacing. Looks like black coffee.

S- Malt, chocolate, vanilla, very sweet. Smells divine.

T- Lots of dark coffee and chocolate. Extremely smooth. And for almost 11%, this has almost no alcohol taste. Really tasty. Also, great coffee aftertaste. The coffee beans used are really unique and leads to an edge over other oatmeal stouts.

M- Low carbonation and extremely smooth. A little light bodied, but would be great with, well, brunch.

O- What an awesome beer. I don't want to stop drinking it. I wish it was a bit cheaper, but at $15, the quality of this beer is still worth it. Top notch.

3.98/5  rDev -7.7%

Poured from a bottle rather vigorously into a Cigar City snifter. I have been sitting on this brew for almost a year, the time has come!

A: Pours black in color, some shades of ruby red and dark brown around the edges. A gorgeous, 1 finger worth of mocha colored head sat on top of what seemed to be motor oil. As it recedes to a nice cap, spotty lacing is left behind with a great amount of alcohol legs.

S: Nose is of roasted coffee beans, molasses, black licorice, faint ash, and some alcohol. This bottle had about 1 year cellared, nose might of suffered as far as coffee notes and such. Still very nice, but I will definitely look for a fresher bottle.

T: Bitter coffee notes, roasted malts, bitter dark chocolate, light molasses, and a hint of alcohol.

M: Medium bodied; Considering this beer was brewed with oats I was a bit disappointed with the mouthfeel. I was expecting a more silkier, velvety mouthfeel, but to no avail. Still, with a good amount of carbonation and some alcohol, the palate is refreshed and never dull. Great breakfast brew, I most definitely recommend.

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Purchased at Hyde Park Wine and Spirts in Hyde Park, OH. Thanks for the heads up on this Jaeger! I was a bit nervous trying this new beer. The thought of drinking Civet cat poop, brewed in my beer, makes me a little uneasy. However, I am going to give it a try.

A: Pours black, with a 1/2 inch dark tan to brown head. Lacing is thick on initial pour.

S: Smells just like the description on the bottle. Huge coffee tones, with an underlying oatmeal backing. Very mild alcohol nose for being a 10.9 APV.

T/M: A very solid medium body. A rush of rich, smooth coffee, followed by a wave of alcohol bite. I felt the alcohol warm my chest as I swallowed. Aftertaste was a lot like the aftertaste of drinking a Starbucks coffee, however, the big alcohol makes it finish dry. Very big, loud, over exaggerated, sharp flavors. Nothing is mellow on this beer.

D: 10.9% APV, this is a bottle to share with a friend. A very nice sipper. The dryness makes you go back for more. 4.0

Well, I have to say this is the closest thing I have ever had to cat poop in my mouth (knowingly) that I can think of, however, this beer was a nice surprise. I would definitely pick it up again, given the chance, however the large price tag is something to consider.

4.97/5  rDev +15.3%

A. Dark, dense chocolate color. minimal head, mouth is already watering!
s. First off, I LOVE coffe. This beer reeks of decadent coffee with a tinge of chocolate(60/40 maybe)
T. If it where bread it would be a cookie! Relatively sweet, with just enough cloying balancing the 11% alcohol. Flat out fantastic!
M. Everything you would expect out of coffee oatmeal stout. For me a benchmark brew!
D. Dangerously tasty, nothing of a session brew but definetly desirable. One bottle is quite satisfying and a big enough beer to share.

One of my personnel favorites. I love this brew!!
Thank You Mikkeller.

4.65/5  rDev +7.9%

Copied Directly from notes taken June 1, 2009 at Beer Bistro in Toronto.

Into tulip with beautiful light brown head. No light comes through

N. Roasted. Maybe a little burnt malt. Slightest hint of booze. Sweet overripe fruit. Just a hint of cofeee, so small I wonder if I am imagining it because of the bottle description

T. Charred wood. Medium bitterness. Coffee. Roasty malt. Little heat at the end.

M. Maybe not as viscous as an impy or as creamy as a oatmeal stout (note: at the time I didn't realize it was classified as a "Imperial Oatmeal Stout"- I guess you could say the mouthfeel either failed in both categories or struck a perfect balance between the two... I'm leaning toward the latter).

This shit (note: I think the pun was intended) is delicious. I could drink way more than would be good for me.

4.51/5  rDev +4.6%

I've been curious about this beer and the coffee it's brewed with for a looong time.

This is one black as fuck beer. Seriously, light is afraid of this thing, even the head is a deep mocha color, out of fear of offending the liquid beneath it no doubt.

This has a deceptively sublte aroma, nice roasted malt, some coffee character, but very, very subtle.

ok. This is more than I can really handle. I do no possess he capabilies to fully appreciate the amazing, and yet somehow demented nature of this beer. Good job, you Danish bastard.... Dark chocolate, coffee (duH), black licorice, earth, weasel shit (a mother of a gourmand of a weasel at that), mud after a spring rain, a bit of Chtulu, serious stuff this is, seriously. This beer is a shitshow...this is brewed with the blood of the Old Gods, or I'm way too messed up from the sensory shockwave that this beer has wreaked upon my fragile sense of self to comprehend. I also as my friend Alan sagely pointed out, it has a faint taste of poo bitterness. And chocolate covered cherries...I can go on, but I may just amend this review after I drink my other bottle (I bought two...so far).

Surprisingly light body and smooth mouthfeel for a beer of this ABV. The alcohol only only makes it's presence known towards the end as it warms up.

I just want to keep drinking this until I figure it out...it drinks well, very well. I'm not sure when I will brave another bottle of this, but I doubt I will be any more prepared.

4.58/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Look: Black, no visibility through this beer, the head was very small and dissipated within minutes. 4
Smell: Lots of oats, hints of chocolate, a ton of coffee, some malts, no alcohol. 4.25
Taste: Lots of coffee, but it is not overpowering like a victory, the coffee leads into a thick chocolate flavor, and lots of oats, then finishes with a nice subtle coffee after taste, with hints of burnt malt. 4.75
Feel: damn this is a thick one, I couldn't believe how thick, creamy and awesome this was, one of the best feels no doubt. 5
Overall: outstanding, a must try, and one I will definitely be getting again. 4.75

4.58/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

10 oz pour on tap at Bodega Bar in LAX

A: Jet black with little to no head, decent little carbonation though

S: Roasted malt, coffee, coco, with a nice alcohol on the end

T: similar to smell, with tons of coffee super rich with roasted malts.

F: smooth and thick with a long finish

O: very good beer and Im not a coffee drinker but this stuff could convert me.

4.28/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

An attractive thick black stout with a small, creamy tan head. Light lacking showing quaility brewing and ingredients. The aroma is a light coffe smell, with roasted malts and light dark chocolate. I was surprised that the aroma was not more pronounced. Taste is creamy, smooth, thick and coffee flavored. I also taste chocolate and an unidentifiable spice. This beer is dry at the finish with a roasty bitterness. Overall all a quality beer. It is brewed at a higher quality than other coffee oatmeal stouts but pricier. Terrapin is a better buy if you like the coffee flavor and taste. For mouthfeel -Beer Geek Brunch Weasel.

4.65/5  rDev +7.9%

Been after this one for a while and finally scored a bottle in a trade. This one is just straight up sexy. The pour is somewhat thick, almost gives off the impression of pouring syrup. The foam was about half a finger thick, but the color was just amazing to look at. It was brownish with thin/small bubbles. The head retention was pretty good and it left a little bit of lacing on the rim of the glass. The aroma had hints of chocolate malts, coffee bean and vanilla, just to name a few. The flavors are mixed together so well that it's really hard to tell that it has a 10.9%ABV. A great beer. I'll definitely get this one again.

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%

I'm not big on reviewing beers, because I don't think I have the nose for picking up the subtle nuances of smell. Sometimes I wonder if my nose is not as good as others when it comes to picking up things like "" or "", but I tend to doubt myself, so I'm forging ahead with this review since I've had 3 bottles of this.

Appearance: It passes the appearance test with flying colors because it passes my standard test: If you can't see through it ... that's a good thing! I wasn't careful pouring and got a two-finger head of fluffy tan bubbles that left a lacing on the glass that didn't distract me from the taste, which in my humble opinion, is more important than the pattern the bubbles left!

Smell: coffee ... strong coffee. In my opinion, that's a wonderful thing. I have a buddy in Stevens Point, WI, that makes beer runs for me when coming to visit me in central Illinois. I told him if he can't get ahold of me to bring beer you can't see through, smells like raisins, coffee or chocolate, chews like oatmeal and has high ABV. This brew passes all tests.

Taste is great. Not the best I've ever had, but nothing to complain about. In fact, I enjoyed it immensely. I've had this before and I might be reaching here, but I don't think this beer is consistent. It seemed better this time. That's tough to judge, but I loved it this time. Last time I like it ... a lot.

Mouthfeel: not too thin, not too thick. I've had beers that hit both extremes. This seemed just right. It's tough to tell if it's a better bottle or I was just in the mood for this. Either way, it was very good.

Overall: I'll buy this again. I might not be as impressed as much next time if I have high expectations, but I feel the need to buy it again and share it with my brother-in-law.

I never thought I'd drink that coffee that weasels crap out but now I have ... and I liked it!

3.63/5  rDev -15.8%

Not sure where this bottle came from. I have been sitting on it for a while waiting for the opportunity to try.

Poured a jet black with a very slight head.

The smell, and taste, were different. Coffee; but nothing I am familiar with. In Fact, I would love to try this coffee straight. It has an earthy taste to it.

Smooth. Such a robust coffee flavor, i almost can't taste the beer. I will admit, to me, it is a little too much for this style. I prefer the regular. But props to attempting this.

Beer Geek Brunch Weasel from Mikkeller ApS