Beer Geek Brunch Weasel - Mikkeller ApS

Denmark

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.90% ABV

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 01-02-2009

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.

Imperial oatmeal stout brewed with coffee. Ingredients: Water, malts, hops, yeast and Vietnamese ca phe chon coffee.
Reviews: 790 | Hads: 2,604
2.97/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.25

L: Pitch black, with a little head that dissolves quickly
S: Smells medicinal, no coffee, no chocolate, no alcohol
T: Disappointing, the most prominent flavor is medicine...very strange. Not sure how this passed quality control. It's unbelievable that this currently has a 4.32 rating.
F: It's thick and smooth. Great feel.
O: Not good, and pricey. Worst of both worlds. (375 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +8.1%

Been after this one for a while and finally scored a bottle in a trade. This one is just straight up sexy. The pour is somewhat thick, almost gives off the impression of pouring syrup. The foam was about half a finger thick, but the color was just amazing to look at. It was brownish with thin/small bubbles. The head retention was pretty good and it left a little bit of lacing on the rim of the glass. The aroma had hints of chocolate malts, coffee bean and vanilla, just to name a few. The flavors are mixed together so well that it's really hard to tell that it has a 10.9%ABV. A great beer. I'll definitely get this one again. (631 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%

I'm not big on reviewing beers, because I don't think I have the nose for picking up the subtle nuances of smell. Sometimes I wonder if my nose is not as good as others when it comes to picking up things like "" or "", but I tend to doubt myself, so I'm forging ahead with this review since I've had 3 bottles of this.

Appearance: It passes the appearance test with flying colors because it passes my standard test: If you can't see through it ... that's a good thing! I wasn't careful pouring and got a two-finger head of fluffy tan bubbles that left a lacing on the glass that didn't distract me from the taste, which in my humble opinion, is more important than the pattern the bubbles left!

Smell: coffee ... strong coffee. In my opinion, that's a wonderful thing. I have a buddy in Stevens Point, WI, that makes beer runs for me when coming to visit me in central Illinois. I told him if he can't get ahold of me to bring beer you can't see through, smells like raisins, coffee or chocolate, chews like oatmeal and has high ABV. This brew passes all tests.

Taste is great. Not the best I've ever had, but nothing to complain about. In fact, I enjoyed it immensely. I've had this before and I might be reaching here, but I don't think this beer is consistent. It seemed better this time. That's tough to judge, but I loved it this time. Last time I like it ... a lot.

Mouthfeel: not too thin, not too thick. I've had beers that hit both extremes. This seemed just right. It's tough to tell if it's a better bottle or I was just in the mood for this. Either way, it was very good.

Overall: I'll buy this again. I might not be as impressed as much next time if I have high expectations, but I feel the need to buy it again and share it with my brother-in-law.

I never thought I'd drink that coffee that weasels crap out but now I have ... and I liked it! (1,864 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -15.6%

Not sure where this bottle came from. I have been sitting on it for a while waiting for the opportunity to try.

Poured a jet black with a very slight head.

The smell, and taste, were different. Coffee; but nothing I am familiar with. In Fact, I would love to try this coffee straight. It has an earthy taste to it.

Smooth. Such a robust coffee flavor, i almost can't taste the beer. I will admit, to me, it is a little too much for this style. I prefer the regular. But props to attempting this. (498 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dark as a black hole, another Mikkeller beer. Mocha head, quickly fading but 1/8 inch persisted. Fine lacing.

Dark, dark roasted aromas. Malt, coffee. cocoa powder.

Made from Indonesian civet coffee, Kopi Luak, but thankfully no "organic" tastes. Tastes like cold espresso, a profoundly dark roast with little bitterness. A bit of chalkiness.

Very thick and creamy, but almost too substantial to be smooth. Doesn't quite go down easily.

A very interesting Imperial Stout. Worth savoring. (491 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

500 ml bottle poured into a Struise tulip glass. No sharing, this was ALL mine! One needs to indulge sometimes, it's good for the soul. Bad for the wasteline though.

A: I hate to use the word, but as imperial coffee stouts go, this is literally perfection. Pitch black with no light coming through whatsoever, topped by the darkest head I've ever seen. It literally looks like frothed-up candy syrup and espresso.

S: Huge aroma explosion of fresh coffee beans, some hops and roasted malts. Coffee is obviously the star here, followed by dark baker's chocolate, some dried fruits, hops and candy sugar. This is probably one of the most gorgeous things you'll smell in your life.

T: It also delivers on the taste in a huge way. Coffee is the shining star here, but it also cuts through the richness of the coffee, chocolate and brown sugar with some hops. Beautiful little zips and zings that will challenge your palate with every sip.

M: Soft carbonation, creamy and beautiful. I might have actually preferred this beer just a tad flatter, so this is pretty much the only point where it isn't damn near perfect for me. This beer is also infamous for forming glycerol (a jelly-like byproduct) at the bottom of the bottle over aging.

O: Literally the only thing that lets this beer down is the glycerol and slightly overcarbonated mouthfeel, which you could obviously partially remedy by letting it breathe for a while. Other than that, this is as close to Heaven as a non-believing man like me will likely get. Thank you Denmark, for this 500 ml of damn-near perfection. (1,573 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

10 oz pour on tap at Bodega Bar in LAX

A: Jet black with little to no head, decent little carbonation though

S: Roasted malt, coffee, coco, with a nice alcohol on the end

T: similar to smell, with tons of coffee super rich with roasted malts.

F: smooth and thick with a long finish

O: very good beer and Im not a coffee drinker but this stuff could convert me. (365 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +9.5%

WOW!

A- DARK opaque brown with a two finger creamy tan head

S- very slight aromas of coffee and roasted malt

T- oh, man. Roasty, sweet and fruity. Honey overtones. Nice creaminess to it. There's hops in it. Seriously. The coffee taste is strong but not dominating. It's like a cup of coffee with beer in it. The taste lingers on the tongue with toffee, plums and ipear. The alcohol is barely noticeable. This beer is nearly perfect.

M- Creamy and Silky, with astringent bite that doesn't really go away.

D- I could drink this all day... if it wasn't so freakin strong.

Overall, this is possibly the best coffee stout that I've ever had. The price tag is a little high, but worth it for a day of treating yourself. I'm going to buy another one, just to see how it ages. (775 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -13.3%

Pours a deep brownish black with a 1.5" toffee colored head.

Nose is of rosted espresso, cocoa powder, and some booze.

Definitely more of an espresso taste than a coffee. It's a little more acidic than I was expecting. It's huge on the roasted flavor and it has some chocolate in there but not as much as I expected. It has a subtle nuttiness to it, but I was hoping for a little more complexity.

It feels like I'm drinking stout flavored maple syrup. It is by far one of the thickest beers I have ever drank. It's not very smooth, and it hits my stomach like a bag of bricks.

Overall, I wish I wouldnt have paid $14 for this one. It was pretty tasty, but it was so thick it was almost not enjoyable. (704 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +1.6%

A: Pours a dark black that looks like used motor oil. Not much appearance on the head, but it did have a little bit of caramel colored head on it that went away quickly. Still has a ring around the top, and some film left on it.

S: Dark roasted malt, with a smell of coffee on it obviously. Has a hint of chocolate on the smell.

T: Dark roasted malts, and a coffee taste. It tastes just like it smells.

M: Lighter body than I would expect, although it is leaning toward medium. Its blended nicely, with just a few prominent flavors. Light to Medium carbonation.

O: A nice stout to drink, probably the best I've had. I've got a growler of this stuff to go through, and I think I'll enjoy it along. Unforunately I dont have too much to say about it, other than its a tasty brew. (781 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%

A- Pours a standard stout black with very generous 3" tan head from slow, cautious pour. Appears to be quite carbonated.
S- Smell isn't too complex and I feel bad for writing this over and over again, but the smell is chocolate covered coffee beans. I feel bad because almost all coffee stouts smell like this to me, but the coffee in this beer is much richer and bolder than usual.
T- Taste is remarkable. First thing I notice is how ridiculously creamy this beer is. I know this is more of a mouthfeel thing, but you can taste the creaminess I think. The coffee is rich, bold, and delicious. Chocolate malt also very apparent and goes nicely with the beer. The coffee really blends nicely with a very hearty deeply roasted malt flavor. The roasted malt and coffee go together perfectly. Slightly warming, but not very noticeable. Alcohol is perfectly hidden by the complex flavors.
M- Mouthfeel is probably the best of any beer I can remember. Viscosity is perfect, carbonation is perfect, and the creaminess is absolutely incredible.
D- Drinkability, given the ABV, is also excellent. Alcohol is masked beautifully by the complex flavors, and, if the beer weren't so damn expensive, I could throw back quite a few of these. (1,229 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -4%

Pours deep dark brown with a nice two finger chocolate brown head into a snifter. Head is actually kind of speckled with some darker brown throughout. Some decent lacing as it drains.

Nose is bitter coffee, some toffee and milk chocolate, a little bit of dark fruit and alcohol.

Mouth is full bodied, silky and smooth, with medium carbonation and a slight dryness in the finish, but not much.

Taste is robust, bitter coffee with a solid malt backbone and some of that fruitiness coming into play throughout. Brown sugar and vanilla up front and a lingering bitter finish with some mild alcohol.

Drinkability is pretty good. Nothing pushing it in either direction, really.

Overall this is a nice brew. I'm digging the solid coffee flavors throughout and that bit of sweet fruit makes it that much more interesting. (818 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into my Duvel tulip

A - pours a viscous black, with a moderate tan head that quickly becomes a small film. Spotty lacing left by the head sticks to the glass.

S - Chocolate and juicy, nutty coffee. One of the better smelling (aside from Peche Mortel) coffee stouts I've had. Bitter roasted malts also come through.

T - This is not a coffee stout for a latte drinker. Bitter and acidic, this stout also has a great berry-like quality that I usually find in higher-end coffees. Dark fruit qualities also blend mix well with the dry qualities of the coffee flavor. Less sweet, more dry and acidic = deliciousness to me.

M&D - Moderate to low carbonation helps to keep the mouthfeel a little heavy, kind of like a nice cafe americano. I'm telling you, this is a coffe drinker's beer, and I like it. (827 characters)

4.23/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Extremely black and thick, not a trace of light as I hold my mug to the light. Small head, hardly any fingers are present.

S- Malty, traces of hops. To be quite honest with you I can't smell anything. The smells that do come through are very faint, had a friend put my mug under her nose...same thing.

T- Strong coffee flavor, dark sweet fruits are present. Has a wonderful robust malt flavor that I love.

M- Rich, creamy, and smooth!

D- Awesome! Has an amazing thick hearty malt flavor that dark beers should have (IMHO) can't wait to purchase another bottle. I'm buying a weasel tomorrow and feeding it fiber! :| (621 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -17.9%

A- Black, flat, dark copper head, quickly dissipates leaving no trace

S- Coffee. Not very complex. I can smell a bit of the maltiness and some booze, but predominantly coffee

T- Coffee. Different than most coffee forward stouts. This is not a sweet coffee, and it is not coffee+dark chocolate, it is just coffee with roasted malts up front. The coffee flavor did not work for me on this one. It left a bit of a metallic taste in the mouth, and there was no real complexity to it.

M- Dark, chewy, viscous, little carbonation, alcohol feel- exactly what you would expect and want from the style

O- I always take value into account when rating overall- and this beer is just not a good buy for the price. It is OK, definitely not a bad beer, but not one that I will be revisiting. I like Mikkeller a lot, but this is not one of their best offerings (852 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

had a bottle of this poured into an unbranded tulip

appearance - poured a dark dark brown, with a half a finger head that was lighter than expected, moderate carbonation, slight lacing

smell - smell of roasted malts, coffee takes the center stage with a chocolate finish, smells delicious

taste - upfront is a bitter-sweet chocolate malt, followed by a moderately strong coffee flavor, finishes with a slight vanilla, bitter coffee, and almost sweet smokey flavor, hard to put my finger on but makes me want another sip

mouthfeel - i would have liked it a bit thicker, lighter feel than expected the carbonation helped lighten it a lot, drank almost the same as a cold cup of coffee

drinkability - if the cost wasnt an issue this would be a very easy beer to go through a few bottles in a night, drank like a cold cup of coffee, if you find it cheap buy a case and have a few good nights (892 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Look: Beautiful looking stout. Jet black with a creamy 1 finger espresso colored head.
Smell: Huge coffee smell. Makes you know that you are in for a treat.
Taste: Rich coffee and malt. Slight bakers chocolate. The most amazing part is that there is a slightly sweet taste to it. Very well crafted flavors. Taste lingers on your tongue until the next sip. No alcohol taste at all.
Feel: Thick but smooth mouth feel. The mouth feel of this beer is one of the high point.
Overall: This beer opened me up to the potential of Mikeller. I have had some of their other offering in their San Francisco bar but until now I have had mixed feelings. This is a serious beer. A must try for any beer lover. (695 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +4.2%

Saw this, for the first time, at my local Whole Foods. After reading the label, and discovering this was brewed with exotic coffee beans, plucked from cat dung; What self-respecting beer geek could resist?

Beautiful pour. Deep, dark brown (almost black) in color, with a thick fluffy multicolored tan head with darker brown flecks. Minimal lacing and retention.

Slight fragrant hop aroma mixed perfectly with heavy coffee and sweetness. The smell is unique and intriguing.

Nice up front coffee bitterness with rich roasted malts. Unexpected grassy and peppery character, reminiscent of arugula. Nicely balanced, if slightly heavy, alcoholic warmth.

It has a thick and slightly-sticky mouthful. This is some strong punch. I was a bit concerned about "gimmick factor". But, that is not the case here. This is deep, rich, and complex. Very well done! (851 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +6.7%

The bottle looks good, the beer in the glass could not look better. Deep, deep black, very brown head. Starts very intense and complex malty, notes of strong coffee, liquorice and some chocolate. Well balanced, warming finish, soft as silk. A bit sweet aftertase. An incredible good beer!

Thank you yespr for this bottle! (322 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

Bottled. Pours black with medium, brown head. Fair lacings Nose of black coffee, roasted malt and vanilla. Sweet flavour with honey, coffee, vanilla and dark chocolate. Full bodied. oily/creamy texture. Flat carbonation. More dry with some bitterness in the finish. It it’s a awesome nice brew and it has developed with few years of storage (342 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured at Max's Taphouse.

Pours a beautiful dark rich coffee black with brown coffee colored lacing .

Smell is mainly of coffee, alittle roasted malt and a hint of chocolate.

Taste is amazing, its purely coffee with little to no alcohol taste, but mainly coffee with a little chocolate and hint of hops. The after taste once again is around the coffee not the stout, excellent.

I love this beer and the weasel coffee take on it. For the cost its a must have, one of my favorites. (483 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Been waiting a long time to try this one. This was fresh into the store, straight out of the box, into my fridge, and then into my glass. I love coffee stouts (and good coffee, in general), and while I’ve never had Kopi Luwak coffee, I’m really intrigued by it.

Poured into a New Belgium glass.

A: Good and black, like I like my coffee. No light penetration. A knuckle’s worth of latte colored head, but it disappears quick, leaving a light skim on top. Fantastic lacing.

S: Rich, creamy smell, though not like brewing a pot of coffee. It smells sweet, with caramel and chocolate. A little coffee floats in and out.

T: Fan-flipping-tastic. There’s a rich chocolate up front, and just a perfect amount of sweetness. Coffee bitterness rolls into the midrange, and it’s bold, and blends well with the sweetness. It ends on a sweet caramel note. I don’t get a single bit of alcohol. Very happy I bought two of these.

M: Smooth, velvety. Creamy. Rolls well around the tongue.

O: Was definitely not let down by this. I think I have to get my hands on some of this coffee now. Ante up. (1,100 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Note: I let this sit out for 20 min after removing it from the fridge.

A: Pours a silky black with a tan/caramel head. Leaves very little lacing as I drink. Head retention is good.

S: Smells like bitter chocolate and roasted malt. Not at as much coffee aroma there as I would expected but its in the background.

T: Milk chocolate with some bitterness followed by a subtle coffee flavor. No hint of alcohol whatsoever.

M: Very creamy and thick, light carbonation.

O: Extremely drinkable, no hint of the 10.9% abv in the taste or aroma but it sneaks up on you. A treat to have. (581 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured room temperature from the bottle to a tulip.

A: Black with a thin mocha colored head that dissipates quickly.

S: Excellent espresso, coffee & dark chocolate aroma... and I also get some slight dark fruit sweetness.

T: Bitter chocolate and espresso. None of the dark fruit sweetness from the aroma in the flavor, which is a good thing IMO. Very bitter with almost no alcohol. Bold flavor while still being super smooth.

M: Lots of body. Very little carbonation. Slightly sticky.

O: I was on the fence about picking this up due to the price ($13.99 for a bottle here in NJ) but figured what the hell. It was excellent. I will definitely pick up a few more of these to have on hand for the cold weather months. (723 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured into a snifter

Black as night color with a tan one finger head. Smell is of a sweet coffee, with hints of berry in the nose. I can't pinpoint the exact type of berry. Taste is a fruity coffee flavor with decent bitterness on the back end. Mouthfeel is full bodied real creamy and decent carbonation. Pretty good drinkability for its 10.9 abv. Overall a good beer. (371 characters)

Beer Geek Brunch Weasel from Mikkeller ApS