Beer Geek Brunch Weasel - Mikkeller ApS

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.90% ABV

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.

Imperial oatmeal stout brewed with coffee. Ingredients: Water, malts, hops, yeast and Vietnamese ca phe chon coffee.

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 01-02-2009)

Houser, Dec 26, 2013
3.85/5  rDev -10.9%

Ok, so what we have here is a Norwegian Imperial Stout brewed with coffee beans that have been shat out of the digestive tract of some forest-dwelling critter. I never thought I'd see the day. Let's see if I can get through this review with nary a poop-joke.

First off, this is a 500ml bottle, with no mention of how much, if any, mammal fecal matter (MFM) is contained in every chunky sip. I'm not sure if that's a blessing or what. So with a resigned sigh and with my intestines clenched in trepidation, I crack the cap and pour a good portion of this into my accepting glass.

I have to say, the beer doesn't look crappy at all. It's a fizzy, deep black with red highlights and boasts a tightly clenched lacy head that leaves little smears down the sides of my glass as I take this beer into my mouth. So far so good...

Smell-wise, I am both relieved and saddened at the complete lack of weasel-cat bowel movement aroma. But what I do smell is a sort of coffee black-hole, going on and on into a sticky, wet, espresso ending. Deep acrid notes bring back memories of the burnt coffee stuck to Uncle Franklin's pot during those 6am archeological digs for buried pirate treasure. He loved taking me on those. But I digress. There is also here a good amount of hop bitterness, spruce and juniper, and the whole thing is sweet and big-smelling. So to sum up: Coffee, burnt stuff, piney hops, sugar. No cat poop, yet.

Alright, so I finally break down enough to put this beer into my uppermost orifice reserved for such things. If living in the Village in the early 70s taught me anything it's that there is no sense in approaching things involving potential poo half-arsed. At least I think that was the lesson. I raise my goblet to my lips and take a big gulp of Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch Weasel.

... ... ...

Huh! Nope, not getting any doodie in the flavor, either! False advertising? Not sure... but what I did taste is sweet, black stuff, lots of espresso, almost harsh, quite rich, and bittersweet. There's cocoa, and more than expected hops, along with warming alcohol. This is a Big Stout. Very flavorful. Interesting, but not THAT far removed from Black Hole or Beer Geek Brunch. Rather intense, as many Mikkeller beers are wont to be. I'm sure the oats contribute to the slick mouthfeel. I keep waiting to burp up cat fur or hack up a dead mouse like a spotted owl I saw once on a PBS special, but the only thing I'm getting out of this thick, syrupy beer is a warming sensation that dribbles down my throat.

Is it drinkable? I suppose that depends on how much you like novelty. At the price point of $14 a bottle, I wouldn't be reaching around in my friend's cellar for it again anytime soon, but then, you may like your poop a little more than I doo. Ultimately, Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch Weasel is interesting, but probably overrated. At least now I can say I've tried civit-poop beer. No shite.

kkipple, Jun 16, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +1.4%

A--Poured a midnight black with slightly more than a finger of head. Carbonation bubbles ran all the way up my pint glass. Head was a dark brown. Exactly how I like my beers to pour. Good lacing down the glass.

S--VERY well balanced between coffee, roasted malts, and chocolate. Not an overpowering smell (which I prefer), but what is there is very nice.

T--Wow this one really jumps out and smacks you in the face. A lot more powerful than the Beer Geek Breakfast. I actually am surprised here since the nose didn't hit me like this. A lot more back end bitterness here than the breakfast, can't really tell if it is a hoppy bitterness or if it is from the coffee. Drinking a little more it seems to mellow out.

M--So creamy it is almost chewy. But it is not thick and cloying. A very pleasant chewiness.

D--Extremely thick and filling. It's what you would expect from the style, so judging it from that I look at how easy it is to finish the bomber. In this case the beer kept me wanting more but my stomach was telling me to stop so I had to deduct slightly from this.

I don't really know if I prefer this or the Beer Geek Breakfast. They are relatively equal to me, but they are both world class and among the best imperial stouts I've ever had. This is expensive and not easy to find, but if you come across one it is a must try (at least once).

P.S....I can die a happy beer geek knowing that I have even drank a beer with shit in it. Thank you Mikkeller for giving me the chance to have that on my "resumé"

alcstradamus, Mar 26, 2009

Knoxrb12, May 29, 2014
4.13/5  rDev -4.4%

Pitch black even when being poured. Aggressive pour generated only a finger of head, but the head is the darkest brown I've ever seen on a beer. Head doesn't stick around for long though. Some lacing around the glass.

Coffee is first to the nose, with a light vanilla note. Dark chocolate and something woody also in the aroma.

Tastes like a fairly sweet coffee, with definite chocolate notes. Some licorice and molasses as well. Faint lingering roasted flavour. Quite delicious. Alcohol well hidden.

Full bodied with almost absent carbonation. One of the rare occasions when I would like carbonation to be just a touch more lively. Good mouthfeel none the less.

10.9% ABV without feeling boozy. Still a sipper from the big flavours, but an easy drinking one considering the strength.

Edit: Right near the last third of the bottle, the flavours got a tad cloying, knocked off a bit of its score, especially the drinkability.

elricorico, Sep 22, 2010

megamass, Mar 25, 2012

alamode, Dec 11, 2011

DangerDawg, Sep 21, 2013
3.75/5  rDev -13.2%

craftbeerasian, May 17, 2014
4.65/5  rDev +7.6%

A: Completely pitch black. Dark mocha head.

S: A ton of chocolate and coffee. Super roasty. Slight notes of civet feces.

T: Very intense dark cocoa. Coffee is there but almost in the background. It finishes very roasty.

M: Surprisingly not that thick. The roast provides some thickness but it is somewhat thin underneath.

D: All day long baby.

drseamus, May 26, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +6%

What a great find at Higgins in Portland! Very reasonably priced too.

A - Poured black as night with about 1 finger of head, which dissipated down to about a quarter of a ring. Carbonation was very low. Looks very viscous.

S/T - Where do I start? Lots of coffee up front with sort of a chocolatey flavor followed by cherry and raspberry flavor. I can tell Mikeller spared no expense to deliver some great coffee flavor, but I don't need to tell Mikeller how good it is, cause they know it is good coffee. And when the lady buys it, it's shit.

Getting back to the beer itself, ample amounts of chocolate with the slightest hint of bittering hops.

The only disappointing aspect of this beer is that the label states it is an oatmeal stout, which makes me question the amount used and the label. The head was minimal and there was little to no residual sweetness, which is fairly common for this ingredient. Otherwise very excellent.

M - Perhaps the richest beer I've had in bodiness, which is possibly from the cold pressed infusion of civet coffee. Definitely malt dominated and hides the alcohol well. However, as the beer warms up and as it finishes toward the end, there is more of a noticeable alcohol feel.

D - Definitely unique in its own right partially due to the civet coffee added to the beer. Very excellent, wish I could have more. Never thought I'd recommend a beer that came from an animal's rectum, but I'll gladly make an exception here.

MisterClean, Jul 21, 2010
4.56/5  rDev +5.6%

Served in a snifter glass.

Appearance: Opaque dark and thick pour looking like used motor oil. Head is thick in the beginning but settles quick with an initial rise of 2/3".

Smell: What an aroma, you feel the coffee hit you and you just want to inhale the beast.

Taste: Rich espresso, not too bitter...has a lot of molasses and brown sugar notes but not too sweet. The taste comes off just right.

Mouth: Very sticky, and smooth...carbonation is medium at best coming off light as it sits in the glass which pisses me off a bit but still good.

Overall: Easily one of the best imperial stouts I've had probably top ten. It's definitely the smoother of its kind making it very easy for the novice beer drinkers and true connoisseurs to love. Take your time and enjoy...Salud!

BlurryVisi0n, Oct 07, 2013
4.15/5  rDev -3.9%

So I've been sitting on this one for a special occasion. This being my 300th review I figured I'd bust the cap on it tonight.

A: 1 word....beautiful! Black as night with a gorgeous reddish coffee iced cream colored head of about 3 fingers.

S: Sweet dark chocolate with lighter coffee notes then expected. A sort of dark damp cave aroma with a touch of vanilla in the background.

T: pretty much the same as the nose but with a bit stronger coffee and more sweet dark chocolates. Also dome light smokiness almost peat like.

M: Super smooth. Medium bodied rich and creamy and oh so smooth.

Overall: This one meets expectations and then some. Althoughto expensive to drink often. I would definitely drink this as over again. One of the better coffee stouts I've had.

BigMike, Oct 25, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

POOP BEER!
500mL bottle served into a tulip glass

Pours a lovely deep brown. Pretty much black. The body sits thick in the glass. The head is quite dark; a burnt caramel color. It only gets to one and a half fingers but it laces well and hugs the sides of the glass with tenacity.

Initial aromas are smoke, tobacco leaf and lots of roasted malt. There is coffee amidst the roast (as one would hope). There is an element of what fellow BA'er FernMaster called "dark poop fruit smell." I know what he is getting at - there is a sour mash sort of smell that also has a spoiled fruit quality to it. This is pretty unique. I don't fully know what I am smelling, which I'm guessing is because of the civet cat coffee (which I have never had).

This is an exquisite, unique Imperial Stout. The deep roast is what I get first but it softens and opens up to dry leaves and a touch of raisin-rum cake. The coffee develops as bitter, bitter espresso that contains a certain pungent, fruity quality that I can't place (blueberry is what comes to mind)(which, again, I am attributing to the civet cat poop coffee). The finish is very nutty. A rich nutty quality that yields to smoke and roasted bean. This is top-notch.

The body isn't thick enough for the ideal Imperial Stout but the the relative thinness is good for carrying all the flavors throughout the palate. A beer this strong (in both flavor and ABV%) can only be so drinkable but it is certainly good in the scoring category.

Poop beer is a unique experience that every stout lover should have. I've never had a coffee stout quite like it and I suspect that I never will. The combination of bitterness and fruitiness from the coffee and the nutty, smoky malt make for a great beer.

Reaper16, Jun 25, 2010

4.75/5  rDev +10%

brandonld23, Nov 03, 2013

yamar68, Jun 02, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

appearance: yea, i'm biased to black beauties and this is one. Impressive head for a nearly 11% with nice lacing.
smell: Smells a lot like FBS, which means...great. Coffee and a dry richness.
taste: More of the same. Love me some FBS and this may have a little something extra.
drinkability: Seems if not a Holy War at least a firm disagreement amongst BA'ers over session vs big beers. In any case the skill in making a smooth big beer is becoming a wonderfully ubiquitous thing.

cindyjeffsmith, Feb 05, 2011
4.64/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Delivered on all counts! Poured from 12 oz. bottle into tulip. Leaves a thick light brown head that lingers awhile over a sharp and deep black. Tons of roasted coffee in the aroma. The taste gives more hop bitterness than I expected, and its an incredible balance with all the power coffee/molasses flavors going on.

Phigg1102, Jun 07, 2014