It's Alright! - Mikkeller ApS

It's Alright!It's Alright!

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

Belgian Pale Ale |  4.50% ABV

Brewed at De Proef Brouwerij, Lochristi-Hijfte, Belgium.

Ingredients: Water, malt (pale and caramunich), light rock sugar, hops (hallertauer og styrian goldings), ale yeast and brettanomyces.

(Beer added by: hopdog on 01-28-2009)
4.63/5  rDev +53.3%

bottle from Monument Wine and Spirits in Concord, CA. Pours a hazy yellow brown with a nice 1.5 inch high head. Looks...fizzy. Aroma is lemony and with a definite note of Brett...you have enough of these sours and you can just get a feel for it once you stick your nose in. Earthy lemons. Flavor is more lemons and a nice pale malt base, nothing too aggressive, just mild and flavorful. Green, grassy hops dance around on the finish and mix with just the slightest dry bitterness. Sour quality very reserved on this one, and to its benefit. I was skeptical of this beer, but its a winner and I'm now very impressed.

aforbes10, Apr 27, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +49%

bluesplit63, Jul 04, 2012
4.28/5  rDev +41.7%

this brew pours up a murky pale yellow color with a decent white head. Whoa! The smell! I literally smell diarrhea! It fades away as the beer warms up, but I also get brett, honey, tart citric acids, earth, hay, funk. The taste is nothing like the aroma! copper, cork, wood, brett, straw, a pencil eraser, very subtle tartness and more so mild, very dry, medium bodied, medium carbo. A VERY interesting beer!

stumac, Apr 01, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +40.7%

Yikes! This puts the "pale" in pale ale. Lighter than the average straw of most macro lagers and the head and feeding carbonation is distressingly soda-ish. At least the clarity is impressive.

I think this is actually a really fun nose. Yes, I just used the word "fun" when describing aroma. Farmhouse funk, strawberries and hay all hit my senses. Good stuff.

Wow! This manages to combine the funky, brett characteristics of a saison/wild ale with a huge, biscuity malt body. The malt actually lingers on well after that tartness has dissipated. The finish is Godly in its cleanliness.

Mouthfeel is appropriately sprightly and goes down easy. This is in that class with Hennepin as exceptionally drinkable saisons. Don't really understand the low ratings for this unless the "Belgian Pale Ale" tag this site has bizarrely applied to this beer is driving said scores. Label reads "wild ale" and it tastes like one.

malcontent, Jun 04, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +40.7%

hangya, Aug 05, 2014
4.16/5  rDev +37.7%

A - Clear golden-orange with a finger of frothy white. Fades normal.

S - Sweet pale and caramel malts, lots of funky and tart brett, lemon zest, grapefruit and grassy hops.

T - Sweet pale and caramel malts, lots of funky and tart Brett, grapefruit and grassy hops, some bitterness, lemon zest, a touch of vanilla.

M - Medium-minus bodied with moderate carbonation. Smooth with a dry, tart, and funky finish.

D - Great tart and funky Brett character. Nicely balanced.

ngeunit1, Jan 27, 2013
4.13/5  rDev +36.8%

10/22/2012 date on cap, poured into chalice.

After reading the other reviews on here I was thinking this beer would be a funk-lovers dream, but really it wasn't anything special, and certainly no more funky, barnyardy, cat-piss, wet sock flavored than other sour or bretty beers. True to the title of the beer, "it's alright!", but nothing great.

Pours a nice hazy gold with a finger of foam. Nice and bubbly with a nose of brett and bright citrus.

Tastes bright with some nice funkiness, but finishes a little too bitter and could use a bit more malt sweetness. Not a real complex flavor profile, but I still liked it.

I think this would be better categorized as a saison, which would match the flavor, yeast and abv of this beer.

dougfir, Dec 06, 2009
4.11/5  rDev +36.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

my very first mikkeller!!!
pours a golden hued, semi-topped liquid.
smell is Belgian yeast, typical Belgian ale aroma.
taste is.... Belgian yeast.... candied sugars.... eh, it's alright....
overall.... it's alright.... typical Belgian flavored ale. so, if you click to all the beers mikkeller brews, then sort on the ratings, it's. like, THE LOWEST rated brew from them.... I guess it can only go up from here??
it wasn't bad. my 2 year love affair with Belgians is over. just way too rich. I still respect them all, but the ol' standby germans are particularly appreciated at this point although ive been bumping around with several other different things. still, I get the mikkeller concept. interesting.... cheers!

pkalix, Jul 28, 2013
4.1/5  rDev +35.8%

A- Golden yellow, one finger bone white head, decent lacing.

S- Lemon, pinesol, hints of white grape and papaya, light Brett, pleasant.

T- Grains, lemon, light brett, candi sugar.

M- Bone dry, med-high carb, medium-light body.

O- A subtle and pleasant ale with a great aroma.

Rickythejeweler, Jun 02, 2012
4.1/5  rDev +35.8%

One of my first Wild Ales.

Poured into tulip.
Hazzy pour while the yeast and everything settled.
Aroma seemed not with no over powering unlikeable smells or fragrences.
Good mouth feel, similar to unfilted Saisons.
Taste very good suttle hints of several different ingredients.
Overall very good beer and VERY DRINKABLE!!!

elginirishpunk, May 31, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +35.8%

Another Mikkeller for the books. I've grown fond of them, like the EU's answer to Dogfish Head. Bottle lists it as a Belgian Wild Ale. 12oz into pint (curse you, broken snifter!)

A- A remarkably clear, tawny/orange and vibrant beer is topped with a fizzy, fleeting head. Considering the massive yeast in this one, I poured it slooowly, so can't fault the lack of head.

S- Funky. Smells like brett, almost medicinal, like the inside of a tylenol bottle. Still, strangely appealing.

T- Funky, dry, crisp... I like it! This beer is less of a Belgian Pale and more of a Farmhouse/wild ale. Very horse-blanket, mild pear sweetness, incredibly crisp/carbonated, and a bit peachy at the end. While it's funky, it's not too sour or tart to really get out of hand. Very good.

M- Crisp, drying, carbonation is *perfect*, erring on the side of a lot for good measure. Very impressive.

D- For what it is, I liked it. Funky, a bit strange, and not for everyone. One of the more unique beers I've had in a while. I'd be glad to buy this one again and sit on it to see how much further the funk can go. A good brew that, in my book, is worthy of a purchase.

Cheers!

ShogoKawada, Nov 09, 2009
4.05/5  rDev +34.1%

Poured clear into a goblet with enough yeast at the bottom to make me back off a little. Golden, develops bubbles but no head.

The yeast is this beers salient character from nose to tongue. The smell hits me thick with lactobacillicus -- that is to say I smell the sour, bacterial tartness, and it is not unlike lemon in this one. A little bit of funkiness and barnyard smell, but that comes out -- and almost soil like in the flavor. I really do enjoy the tart and light flavor of this one, and it goes down real easy. If not for the price, I'd be pouring another.

philosobeer, Nov 21, 2010
4.03/5  rDev +33.4%

Poured from an 11.2oz bottle into a DT tulip.

Cap dated: 22/10/12

A: Pours a beautiful, cloudy, light-orange/straw color with a creamy, one-finger, bright-white cap of foam. The head is fed by some pretty active carbonation and eventually falls to a creamy layer of skim with a thick and unbreakable ring. Sagging ropes of lace are left behind.

S: Catching a very nice aroma of funk and tart fruit. As it was pouring I noticed the aroma of sour green apples. Also caught some hints of toasted malt, sour berry, wildflowers, and perfume-y hops.

T: I took a sip from the glass when about 3/4 of the bottle had been poured and I tasted the oddest flavor. Almost like heavily toasted grains mixed with damp tree bark. Uh oh. I noticed that there was a decent layer of sediment in the bottom of the bottle so I swirled it around and dumped it in. Make sure you do this. It made all of the difference in the world. The beer really opened up! Sour fruit and funk mix it up with flavors of toasted malt, brett, sodden acorns, oak, perfumed hops, prairie grass, and white pepper.

M: Pretty dry and a little chalkier than I would've liked but it has very nice levels of sour, pepper, and stickiness.

D: A very interesting beer. By all means, do not leave any sediment in the bottle. Put all of it in your glass. Otherwise you'll be cheating yourself.

GbVDave, Feb 10, 2009

kkrez, Nov 15, 2011

spoonsock, Jun 24, 2014

DoctorB2B, Nov 19, 2011

JAHMUR, Nov 21, 2011

KGarrett, Nov 16, 2011

Poupae, Mar 24, 2013
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow, this is one of those beers I am glad I didn't read the reviews before hand...I might not have bought it.

I get what people are saying in previous reviews...the nose doesn't match the taste (most don't), thin bodied, mild notes. However, this beer doesn't suffer because of those qualities, that is just how it is. It's a mild Belgian Pale with some Brett, what do you expect?

Pours a nice golden color with a minimal white head.
Aroma is simply amazing; bubblegum, some funk, basically, sweet and funky.

Mouthfeel is thin and carbonation is minimal, notes of lemonzest, some grassy hops, and a bit of funk.

Overall; a simple and nice beer with one of the most intriguing aromas I have ever experienced.

pixieskid, Jun 26, 2011

imperialking, Jan 07, 2012
3.9/5  rDev +29.1%

A - Pours with a small, one finger head of white foam on top of a clear, golden body. The foam settles quickly and leaves little lace.

S - Fruity, sour grape aroma with some lactic acid and wheat. A light aroma of herbal hops blends into the sour malt. Mostly lactic acid with little funk.

T - Some tart, bready malt up front with light funk. Some lactic acid in the middle with dry fruit notes of white grapes and a hint of pineapple. Finishes with cheese notes of musty wild yeast and dry grapes that blend into light, herbal hops and nutty malt.

M - Medium body, moderately high carbonation, and a dry finish.

D - Reasonably drinkable, this is a mild sour ale with a good dose of herbal hop character and a minimum of funk. I don't understand the reviews that imply that this is an over the top, bathroom floor flavored beer. Most of the wild character is lactic, with very little real funk. It has a very champagne like character that is more about light, dry fruit than wild, cheesy funk. Worth drinking, but I wouldn't go out of my way to have another bottle. Some people seem to think that it is over the top funky, but I would say that it is, if anything, too mild in terms of funk.

nickfl, Jan 23, 2010
3.85/5  rDev +27.5%

11.2oz bottle. Crown stamped 22/10/12.

Poured a lighter and clear (became hazy towards the bottom of the bottle)yellow color with a huge sized white head. Aromas of citrus/lemons, some lighter funkiness, barnyard, and some hay. Tastes of lemons, hay, wheatiness, and earthy. Lightly sour with a dry and clean finish. Lighter and somewhat refreshing.

hopdog, Jan 28, 2009
3.85/5  rDev +27.5%

I will preface this review by saying two things before I even open the bottle: First, I am an admitted Mikkeller fan and this is likely to be skewed in that direction. Second, Happy Father's Day.

I picked my Fin Du Monde tulip as a receptacle. 22/10/12 is printed on the cap. I poured the beer leaving the majority of the yeast behind, at least for the first of the tasting. The color is a pale golden yellow and shightly cloudy from the bit of yeast I got in the pour, but in the bottle the beer looked quite clear. The head is small and bone white with little lacing.

Nose is a spicy and bretty and tangy thing with a whole lot of yeast smells up front. Tang seems to predominate with grape smells. It is clear that light malts were used (pale and caramunich from the Mikkeller site) and there is little grain smell.

Taste - I would like to note that I am enjoying a very stinky cheese (Rogue River Bleu) and a remarkable dry sausage. As such I am interested to see how this 'session' beer stands up. Taste is much like the It's Alive but is lesser quantity, making for a refreshing beer. It is light, crisp and tangy. The cheeses is a bit overwhelming for the beer, at least before I add the yeast from the bottle. After doing so I not a bit more fruit in the taste an a bit more funk in the nose. I like the orange peel and the peppery bite. Thankfully little aftertaste lingers.

This is a light bodied beer but not watery. There is not a bunch of carbonation but what is there does its job well.

I hate the bullshit.

meeekyh, Jun 20, 2010
3.83/5  rDev +26.8%

Mikkeller It's Alright!

12oz bottle to flute

A: hazy yellow with a tiny head and quite a few carbonation bubbles.

S: sweet musty barnyard funk

T: musty and funky, described as dirty feetish by the group. Certainly Brett character. Tastes a little vinous.

A: active and bubbly, really enjoyable in my mouth. Med bodied.

D: I found it highly enjoyable and drinkable. Others did not. I could have a couple, though for true Brett and lower cost I may go with Orval

BTPete, Dec 27, 2009