It's Alright! - Mikkeller ApS

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

Belgian Pale Ale |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: hopdog on 01-28-2009

Brewed at De Proef Brouwerij, Lochristi-Hijfte, Belgium.

Ingredients: Water, malt (pale and caramunich), light rock sugar, hops (hallertauer og styrian goldings), ale yeast and brettanomyces.
first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last
1.12/5  rDev -62.2%

I like most of what Mikkeller has to offer, but in the words of my Best Man, who split the bottle with me, this tastes like drinking a barnyard.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a standard white wine glass. Pours golden and maybe a little cloudy with a quarter inch of head. I don't mind a tad bit of funk, but this smells like a bath towel that's gone for a few weeks without being laundered.

I found nothing redeeming on the taste. The beer is so dry it actually made me thirstier, and I would have guzzled anything to get the funk out of my mouth. It was like I was drinking a dirty sock. Despite the beer's dryness, it left an oily feeling on my tongue that made me feel like I needed a shower, in addition to a good teeth-brushing.

I strongly recommend Mikkeller's Simcoe Single Hop IPA, the Beer Geek Breakfast Stout, and the three or four other beers of theirs that I've tried. But I can't in good conscience recommend the It's Alright. Because it decidedly is not. (975 characters)

1.15/5  rDev -61.1%

I am gonna be short with this one:

Three words sum it up:
Sweaty Cowboy Grundle.

Yes, I could have thought of various descriptors for nose, palate and mouth fell, but I could not stop thinking about those three words. Sorry.

Perhaps forget about this for 10 years and see what happens. Maybe that was the point, but it is flat, dry and devoid of character, so something magical would need to happen in that there bottle with age. It is possible though....

But not now....stay away liquid cowboy grundle...stay away.

I could braek it (538 characters)

1.16/5  rDev -60.8%

Pours a slightly hazy golden yellow color. Two inches of white foam that quickly vanish.

Smells ... weird. Some faint funk. A weird medicinal overtone. This smells bad. Like a rancid wild, a beer that's actually spoiled, not a well orchestrated souring.

Taste is ... bad. Not alright, at all. Wow. This is a drainpour from the word go. Awful, soapy lemon, thin, watery and medicinal vinegar ... awful bad yeasty funk. Thin, watery once bubbling dies down.

Just really bad. (477 characters)

1.22/5  rDev -58.8%

This beer is far from alright. Look I know this site is about advocating beer not bashing it but I'm here to save you money. I don't want anyone making the mistake I did.

Just so you know this is not my first wild beer. It's not that I'm not used to brett and bugs. Wild beers are amongst my favorite styles and I've had an impressive cross-section from all over the world including making a few myself. Not one of them smelled and tasted like toe jam like this wretched excuse for a beverage. Hell, I've ate Limburger on more than one occasion but I don't want it blended with Bud Light and served in a pint glass. I'm at a loss on how this thing has anything close to resembling a positive review. To each their own I guess but I strongly suggest spending your money elsewhere and pass on this drain pour. (808 characters)

1.29/5  rDev -56.4%

My friends and I decided to split this beer and everyone had a different take on how awful it was. One tasted horse manure, another vomit, and another just wild animals... and not in a good way. This is the second beer I've ever poured out. It was so horrible we couldn't finish it between four people. (302 characters)

1.4/5  rDev -52.7%

Now I like funky beers.. but there is a limit, and this one surely crosses it.

When you say Horse Blanket to an lay person as a characteristic that can actually be a good thing, their recoil in horror is expressed by this beer.

It pours out cloudy, with a dense foam forming on top. Smell is that of cat pee and big time horseblanket. I did not write this beer off before my first sip, even though those aromas did seem overpowering.

But once tasting, I could really go no further. It is very crisp and dry, but leaves an aftertaste as though I just licked my feet after running a marathon in wet socks.

Sorry, but this one is a fail for me. (645 characters)

1.42/5  rDev -52%

holy hell.

this beer smells good, initially.. just like you'd want a crisp, bretty, pale golden sour to smell. that's where the honeymoon ends with this selection.

flavor begins with stale popcorn notes and transitions quickly to burnt plastic. some funk is perceptible, but only between dry heaves. the aftertaste is that of honey-tinged water. body is thin, and eventually an unpleasant bitterness builds on the tongue.

a $5 drainpour. avoid at all costs. (461 characters)

1.42/5  rDev -52%

AVOID AT ALL COSTS!
Bought at New Star-ell liquor on divis and fell in SF

NOTE: This must have been a turned bottle, the yeast obviously went crazy in this and did something awful, i very much doubt Mikkeller would release a beer in this state...this brew proves the unpredictability and art of brewing with Brett.

A: golden with a nice off white head on top.

S: absolutely terrible, it smelled like limberger cheese mixed with week old running shoes - rotten feet and old, musty earth is the only thing my buddy (also a Mikkeller fan) and i got out of this...by far the worst nose I have EVER smelled on any beer.

T: if you could undo the smell, this may have been barely tolerable but still had overwhelming musty, overly-earthy, off-bitter and cheese-like/rotten milk notes mixed in with an ordinary light belgian wild ale sourness.

M: couldn't really notice the mouthfeel as i was too grossed out.

D: Quite simply undrinkable - we poured it back and the guy at New-Star let us exchange it for a lovely saison.

I could not believe the most undrinkable beer i've ever tasted came from one of the best breweries on earth - everybody makes mistakes! (1,163 characters)

1.46/5  rDev -50.7%

Appearance = Slightly cloudy with very small ring of lacing, as expected.

Smell = Yes, I smell some funk and the usual horse blanket and moldy baseball mitt, but there is an overriding smell of freshly cut PVC pipe which is not appealing.

Taste = Absolutely horrendous! I'm a huge fan of wild beers and all other De Proef's at that. So it's not the style that's objectionable. This one is either infected or is defining a brand new style of wild beer; perhaps it's feral beer. If this is the way it's supposed to taste, it is terribly unbalanced.

Mouthfeel = Light spritzy carbonation

Drinkability= I rarely pull the rip cord on a beer, but I bailed a few sips into this one. Unless others are finding some good samples on their shelves, I would never repeat this wild experience. (785 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -49.3%

Looks very hazy straw colored with a very soap bubble head appearance. Like many others have mentioned before me, this beer does indeed have the nose of a lower-than-mediocre gueze (very light tones of funk, belgian yeast, sourness yet nothing else more complex) but also has the terrible taste of a badly infected brew: Watered down metallic blood-like off flavor coating rotting lemons and sweaty gym socks. :( Yikes. There is also a terrible soapy and greasy mouthfeel that makes it seem as though that soap bubble head was actually made with real soap. Drainpoured, and I wish I could get my money back.
This one has an unusually high disappointment to money spent ratio.

AVOID AT ALL COST. IT'S ALL-WRONG! (711 characters)

1.62/5  rDev -45.3%

Sampled this for the first time with some friends last night. I apologize for the short review, but I could only bear a few sips of this one.

Poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Hazy, pale yellow body with a moderate-sized, white head.

Smell: This may be the foulest smelling beer I've ever encountered. Dirty diapers came to mind first, but as soon as somebody said "vomit", that's all I could think about. From the little bit of reading I've done, it seems like vomit-like odors result from problems with the yeast. Only one person from our group finished his ~2oz. sample, and he had to pinch his nose to do it.

Taste: Vomit doesn't seem to appear in the taste, but disassociating taste and smell is a difficult thing to do. Without inhaling, I tasted a pretty clean, grainy base with some light funk and lemon zest.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied, generously carbonated, and sharp (tart). Seemed about right for the style, though I was only able to choke down two sips of this one.

Overall: I couldn't put down more than two sips of this. The smell was just too repulsive. Avoid at all costs! (1,094 characters)

1.65/5  rDev -44.3%

Serving type: Bottle

Appearance: nice looking beer. Like the cloudiness.
After that, it all goes south.

Smell starts barnyard funk (like any wild beer) and devolves from there.

Tastes like a urinal smells. The yellow appearance does not help with this image. Yikes. I didn't drainpour it out of principle, but damn was I close.

Mouthfeel? Who knows. I didn't want this to touch my tongue long enough to gauge it.

In short, avoid. (436 characters)

1.72/5  rDev -41.9%

Pours a hazy straw-yellow with a nice-looking (if not too impressive in size) white head.

Smell: skunky, stinky cheese; various barnyard smells... not appetizing. Not even for a wild ale.

Tastes worse than it smells. One sip and I'm contemplating a drain pour just to save myself the pain of finishing this one off. Just a whole bunch of flavors that are individually abrasive and when taken altogether are almost unbearable. Nail polish remover is added to the mix of crap listed in the smell section. In certain beers, I really enjoy some of these attributes, but this beer just doesn't get anything right. (611 characters)

1.72/5  rDev -41.9%

Pours a nice orange amber with a pure white head.

Nose of honey, stone fruit with undertones of bretanomyces. A very pleasant nose for one who likes bret.

Thin mouthfeel with virtually no body. Offensive "bad sour" character. A bitter sour with nothing pleasant about it. Good thing-flavors are short, as is the finish.

This beer is really not drinkable. (360 characters)

1.78/5  rDev -39.9%

"No, it's not!"

Cap says it's good until 2012. That's pretty damn bold for a beer that's under five percent.

Still, nice pour. Dark honey orange with a big white champagne head.

Smells woody and sour. Not very intense, but not bad. Like fruit nodes, a little bit of funk.

Tastes surprisingly bland. A little sour up front, but not nearly as much as I was hoping. This disolves into a soapy and woody middle that tastes kind of like a petting zoo smells and dissolves again, thankfully, into a 7upish finish of sparkly lemon. Man, that middle really kills it.

Eh... not a drainpour, but certainly not worth your money.

Edit: Check that, this is a drainpour. (664 characters)

1.84/5  rDev -37.8%

Thanks to Russ for this as an extra! Cheers Enoteca!
Best by: 10/22/2012

A: Pours a light brass ale with superb clarity. Poor 1/2 finger washy white head production which is transient, but the carbonation from the bottom makes a centralized cap which it absolute.

S: Farm funk, grainy sourness, very gueuze-like in the nose. But a cheap gueuze, nothing too refined. Hints of cola, hay, lemon zest, orange juice, fairly complex and appreciable.

T: Wow, this is shit! I struggle to find any of the pleasantries provided by the nose. Tastes like the smell of a wet diaper. Poorly matured beer. Wow, I'm gonna have a hard time with this. Almost like soda water, with flavors of infection (in a bad way). Okay, some light bitterness appreciated at the end.

M: Light, spritely carbonation. Leaves the mouth wishing I had something to eat that was less offensive - see: shit.

D: I just poured this beer down the drain. Mikkeller should be embarrassed to release this beer. Might as well bottle alka-seltzer. (1,005 characters)

1.87/5  rDev -36.8%

11.2oz bottle to tulip. Best by 22/10/12, sampled 8/26/11. $8 for the experience.

A: Pours with an average sized head, frothy and off-white, and mediocre retention. The body is medium straw yellow, hazy and there are loads of furiously paced bubbles arising within. Yeast in suspension.

S: Light straw, white wine vinegar & funky/dirty socks. Very musty. Faint scents of white grape and berry, more than likely derived from the Brett strain.

T: Absolutely void of flavor from the beginning of the palate through the finish. Thankfully the flavor began to improve (albeit marginally) after 10 minutes of warming.

M: The body is light and thin with an extremely empty, chalky finish that is basically flavorless and "just dry" with absolutely nothing else.

O: From the first sip, I knew I wasn't going to finish this one. No way this beer should have ever passed QC and made it to the market. You've gotten me once again Mikkeller. (934 characters)

1.89/5  rDev -36.1%

this is not alright, not even a little bit.

this actually looks like urine. it pours a pee straw/yellow/orange with a bit of a head that completely goes away. on top of that there is absolutely no carbonation and not even a hint of lace. i had to vigorously swirl my glass around just to get a few bubbles!

it smells like sweet apples with almost a funky mold smell. it's a very "off" smell.

tastes like watered down carbonated apple juice and leaves this absolutely disgusting dry yeasty aftertaste.

very light and absolutely not drinkable at all. this is a drain pour. (575 characters)

1.93/5  rDev -34.8%

Pours a very light, slightly cloudy lemon yellow colour, with a fine but thin head of white foam. Lacing is pretty good. Looks very light in the body, but that's to be expected, and it goes with the other visual traits of the beer. Not bad looking at all.

Quite pungently sour on the nose. Big notes of green apple, and citrus, with huge funky barnyard characters. Aromatic, but not necessarily all that pleasant, in any case. Really unapologetically funky. About as raw and ragged as you get with brett. I have to respect that at least.

The taste is where it just catastrophically falls apart. It's so thin and devoid of character that I started to wonder if I'd imagined the funkiness on the nose. There's perhaps a slight bitterness on the front, but it disappears so completely I'm inclined to think the flavour is an apparition. A light unpleasant yeast funk appears out of nowhere sometime after the beer seems to be gone, but that's it. It's so bereft of flavour otherwise, that I find myself brutally offended. Mouthfeel is weak and limp - water has more character than this.

What a beer of contrasts. This is a beer that drew me in with a hint of tantalising mystery, then left me tied up on a bed with my wallet and passport stolen and no memory of how I had ever got into this sorry state. I have to say I'm bitterly offended by it in the end, and I really hope I can help someone else avoid it in the future. Beware. (1,431 characters)

1.95/5  rDev -34.1%

Consumed on 2/21/09

Poured a golden color with no head. Aroma is funk and tartness through and through. Taste is...awful! At first, it seems great and then it hits you - like a saddle in the mouth. Leather, leather, and more leather; I almost puked. Had to finish off that gulp with a swig of bacardi sitting on my counter. Do not recommend this one to anyone unless you're a leather head.

I'm hoping that this is just a bad bottle as my review is much lower than the average! (478 characters)

1.99/5  rDev -32.8%

I must agree with radshoesbro...
It's not alright.

Once I add the yeast,I see a hazey and pale sunlight hue. Very quick head with no foam or stickage. The aroma has some normal funky yeasty aromas, but that mixed with feet, cheese, and mold are not a good combo. The taste starts with pilsnery malt, then corn husk adjunct mixed with some nasty yeast flavors. Not the Brett that I'm familiar with. Then again no brett is the same. Nonetheless. This beer is very hard to finish. The palate is funky, musty, and gritty. The aftertaste makes me think ofan adjunct lager brewed with brett. Good carbonation though. (612 characters)

2.11/5  rDev -28.7%

A - pours a golden wheat color with a one finger head that sticks around no longer a popsickle on a 100 degree day.

S - very bready with a some funk and tartness to it. As it warms slightly it smells exactly like the livestock barns at the fair - and I took dairy cows and hogs(amongst other things) to the fair for 11-12 years.

T - wow - talk about a mess. It wants to be tart and funky but it has this huge overwhelming presense of what I can only describe as a wheaty- maltiness and barnyard mess. White grapes.

M - fairly light - please dont make me drink another glass to be more specific!!

D - low...it tastes terrible.

What a mess and Mikkeller should be embarrassed. Chalk it up as only the 2nd beer I've ever drain poured - just hope it doesnt stank up my pipes!! I did manage tomforce my way through about half e bottle before it warmed and became just too much. (877 characters)

2.14/5  rDev -27.7%

A: Poured a hazy, dull brass-gold with a one finger, off white head that quickly dissipated. Small micro sized yeasty matter lied suspended in the drink creating a medium turbid nature that was just enough to distort visual text, but not objects on the far side. Visible carbonation started out rampant, with a violent burst of exploding bubbles like a underwater volcanic explosion. Things settled down a bit after a few minutes to a light offering of micro bubbles rising at a moderate pace.

S: For the nose let me start by saying I appreciate wild ales just as much, even more so, then the next guy, I love the funk, but this was by far the most overpowering state of funk I ever encountered. To say this beer had more funk then George Clinton playing in the middle of the Kentucky Derby stalls would be an understatement. There was an overpowering stench of freshly warm, fertilized farm fields with a barnyard funk of musky hay, wet horse and a phenolic helping of fresh plastic diapers (seriously). This would be the illustration and standard definition of the famous and most overly used "horse-blanket" term. Damp cellar notes of stale citrus and wet straw also linger about. I am aware of the wild nature of funk and its attributes, but never tasted on so on this particular level and made me hesitant and resistant to the first sip. I could of gone lower here rating rise but understand that funk is a part of the show, but was one I was totally unprepared for.

T: Somehow the impression of a wet horse wearing a plastic diaper standing in its stall best describes the flavor. The flavor thankfully lacked the powerful punch and aromatic translation of the nose. Sour musky lemons and a slight dryness of hay funk first come to mind. A dominant yeastiness reaches the tongue, with a sour fermented dough essence. Wet over-sparged grains come to mind as well with a palate that faired better then the aroma but was not saying much. Perhaps the most hindering part was when I had to lift the glass to my nose for every sip being reminded of that musky damm wet horse wearing that diaper.

M: The mouthful had a tight bubbly sensation, turning creamy on the hold. A sour musky barnyard twang mixed with moldy damp citrus laces the tongue upon the swallow.

D: Drinkability was mixed leaning towards the spectrum of undesirable. Being a fan of the funk I found myself confused and startled like a nun in a whore-house. I was overwhelmed by the extreme musky barnyard funk that assaulted my tongue with fearless and reckless abandonment. If not for the fierce and overpowering stench this drink might have been bearable, but as is was not an easy one to conquer. This left me squinty eyed after every sip and find it damn hard and impossible to imagine downing more then one of these in a lifetime let along back to back. If you're a big fan of the funk and standing aimlessly in barn stalls for no reason I would recommend this to you as a challenge otherwise leave it as a curiosity. In the end its allright is not allright unless you have a fetish for barns. (3,072 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -27%

I poured this 11.2 oz. beer into an large wine glass. 22/10/12 printed on cap - I assume this is a best by date.

A: cloudy golden color, the initial pour produces a fizzy off-white head that quickly dies into... nothing, non-existent cap and pathetic lacing.

S: mild to moderate levels of Belgian funk, horse blanket, sour grape, over-ripe fruit, clove, pepper, cider. This is as good as it gets, folks.

T: my first impression is that I have imbibed a glass of sweat: this is what horse blanket must taste like! The grain is bone-dry and feels like it has been hijacked by evil brett. In fact, I believe it has. Other than that I pick up vaguely sour notes, and perhaps some paper flavor. Yes, it tastes like paper. The only reason I am not giving this a 1 for taste is that it is not gag-inducing, but rather merely awful. This isn't alright; this is going down the drain.

M: light-bodied, watery to lightly silky, moderate to plentiful carbonation.

O: if you like the taste of sweaty horse blanket, rush out and buy this beer immediately! (1,045 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Got this bottle a few months ago at Sam's in Chi. Poured with a nice white head that quickly subsided and no lace. Aroma according to my friend Euel reminds him of not taking out the garbage for a few days after having had chicken. Does have a funky tart quality. Color is a clear pale yellow. Flavor is tart and almost apple or pear. No hop at all and very little malt. Body is ok and highly spritzed. A slight sweet finish at the very end. Not a session. (456 characters)

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last