It's Alright! - Mikkeller ApS

It's Alright!It's Alright!

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

Belgian Pale Ale |  4.50% ABV

Brewed at De Proef Brouwerij, Lochristi-Hijfte, Belgium.

Ingredients: Water, malt (pale and caramunich), light rock sugar, hops (hallertauer og styrian goldings), ale yeast and brettanomyces.

(Beer added by: hopdog on 01-28-2009)

1.1/5  rDev -63.6%

I like most of what Mikkeller has to offer, but in the words of my Best Man, who split the bottle with me, this tastes like drinking a barnyard.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a standard white wine glass. Pours golden and maybe a little cloudy with a quarter inch of head. I don't mind a tad bit of funk, but this smells like a bath towel that's gone for a few weeks without being laundered.

I found nothing redeeming on the taste. The beer is so dry it actually made me thirstier, and I would have guzzled anything to get the funk out of my mouth. It was like I was drinking a dirty sock. Despite the beer's dryness, it left an oily feeling on my tongue that made me feel like I needed a shower, in addition to a good teeth-brushing.

I strongly recommend Mikkeller's Simcoe Single Hop IPA, the Beer Geek Breakfast Stout, and the three or four other beers of theirs that I've tried. But I can't in good conscience recommend the It's Alright. Because it decidedly is not.

1.13/5  rDev -62.6%

I am gonna be short with this one:

Three words sum it up:
Sweaty Cowboy Grundle.

Yes, I could have thought of various descriptors for nose, palate and mouth fell, but I could not stop thinking about those three words. Sorry.

Perhaps forget about this for 10 years and see what happens. Maybe that was the point, but it is flat, dry and devoid of character, so something magical would need to happen in that there bottle with age. It is possible though....

But not now....stay away liquid cowboy grundle...stay away.

I could braek it

1.15/5  rDev -61.9%

Pours a slightly hazy golden yellow color. Two inches of white foam that quickly vanish.

Smells ... weird. Some faint funk. A weird medicinal overtone. This smells bad. Like a rancid wild, a beer that's actually spoiled, not a well orchestrated souring.

Taste is ... bad. Not alright, at all. Wow. This is a drainpour from the word go. Awful, soapy lemon, thin, watery and medicinal vinegar ... awful bad yeasty funk. Thin, watery once bubbling dies down.

Just really bad.

1.2/5  rDev -60.3%

This beer is far from alright. Look I know this site is about advocating beer not bashing it but I'm here to save you money. I don't want anyone making the mistake I did.

Just so you know this is not my first wild beer. It's not that I'm not used to brett and bugs. Wild beers are amongst my favorite styles and I've had an impressive cross-section from all over the world including making a few myself. Not one of them smelled and tasted like toe jam like this wretched excuse for a beverage. Hell, I've ate Limburger on more than one occasion but I don't want it blended with Bud Light and served in a pint glass. I'm at a loss on how this thing has anything close to resembling a positive review. To each their own I guess but I strongly suggest spending your money elsewhere and pass on this drain pour.

1.27/5  rDev -57.9%

My friends and I decided to split this beer and everyone had a different take on how awful it was. One tasted horse manure, another vomit, and another just wild animals... and not in a good way. This is the second beer I've ever poured out. It was so horrible we couldn't finish it between four people.

1.35/5  rDev -55.3%

Now I like funky beers.. but there is a limit, and this one surely crosses it.

When you say Horse Blanket to an lay person as a characteristic that can actually be a good thing, their recoil in horror is expressed by this beer.

It pours out cloudy, with a dense foam forming on top. Smell is that of cat pee and big time horseblanket. I did not write this beer off before my first sip, even though those aromas did seem overpowering.

But once tasting, I could really go no further. It is very crisp and dry, but leaves an aftertaste as though I just licked my feet after running a marathon in wet socks.

Sorry, but this one is a fail for me.

1.35/5  rDev -55.3%

holy hell.

this beer smells good, initially.. just like you'd want a crisp, bretty, pale golden sour to smell. that's where the honeymoon ends with this selection.

flavor begins with stale popcorn notes and transitions quickly to burnt plastic. some funk is perceptible, but only between dry heaves. the aftertaste is that of honey-tinged water. body is thin, and eventually an unpleasant bitterness builds on the tongue.

a $5 drainpour. avoid at all costs.

1.4/5  rDev -53.6%

Appearance = Slightly cloudy with very small ring of lacing, as expected.

Smell = Yes, I smell some funk and the usual horse blanket and moldy baseball mitt, but there is an overriding smell of freshly cut PVC pipe which is not appealing.

Taste = Absolutely horrendous! I'm a huge fan of wild beers and all other De Proef's at that. So it's not the style that's objectionable. This one is either infected or is defining a brand new style of wild beer; perhaps it's feral beer. If this is the way it's supposed to taste, it is terribly unbalanced.

Mouthfeel = Light spritzy carbonation

Drinkability= I rarely pull the rip cord on a beer, but I bailed a few sips into this one. Unless others are finding some good samples on their shelves, I would never repeat this wild experience.

1.43/5  rDev -52.6%

Looks very hazy straw colored with a very soap bubble head appearance. Like many others have mentioned before me, this beer does indeed have the nose of a lower-than-mediocre gueze (very light tones of funk, belgian yeast, sourness yet nothing else more complex) but also has the terrible taste of a badly infected brew: Watered down metallic blood-like off flavor coating rotting lemons and sweaty gym socks. :( Yikes. There is also a terrible soapy and greasy mouthfeel that makes it seem as though that soap bubble head was actually made with real soap. Drainpoured, and I wish I could get my money back.
This one has an unusually high disappointment to money spent ratio.

AVOID AT ALL COST. IT'S ALL-WRONG!

1.43/5  rDev -52.6%

AVOID AT ALL COSTS!
Bought at New Star-ell liquor on divis and fell in SF

NOTE: This must have been a turned bottle, the yeast obviously went crazy in this and did something awful, i very much doubt Mikkeller would release a beer in this state...this brew proves the unpredictability and art of brewing with Brett.

A: golden with a nice off white head on top.

S: absolutely terrible, it smelled like limberger cheese mixed with week old running shoes - rotten feet and old, musty earth is the only thing my buddy (also a Mikkeller fan) and i got out of this...by far the worst nose I have EVER smelled on any beer.

T: if you could undo the smell, this may have been barely tolerable but still had overwhelming musty, overly-earthy, off-bitter and cheese-like/rotten milk notes mixed in with an ordinary light belgian wild ale sourness.

M: couldn't really notice the mouthfeel as i was too grossed out.

D: Quite simply undrinkable - we poured it back and the guy at New-Star let us exchange it for a lovely saison.

I could not believe the most undrinkable beer i've ever tasted came from one of the best breweries on earth - everybody makes mistakes!

1.5/5  rDev -50.3%

1.6/5  rDev -47%

Serving type: Bottle

Appearance: nice looking beer. Like the cloudiness.
After that, it all goes south.

Smell starts barnyard funk (like any wild beer) and devolves from there.

Tastes like a urinal smells. The yellow appearance does not help with this image. Yikes. I didn't drainpour it out of principle, but damn was I close.

Mouthfeel? Who knows. I didn't want this to touch my tongue long enough to gauge it.

In short, avoid.

1.6/5  rDev -47%

Pours a nice orange amber with a pure white head.

Nose of honey, stone fruit with undertones of bretanomyces. A very pleasant nose for one who likes bret.

Thin mouthfeel with virtually no body. Offensive "bad sour" character. A bitter sour with nothing pleasant about it. Good thing-flavors are short, as is the finish.

This beer is really not drinkable.

1.65/5  rDev -45.4%

Sampled this for the first time with some friends last night. I apologize for the short review, but I could only bear a few sips of this one.

Poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Hazy, pale yellow body with a moderate-sized, white head.

Smell: This may be the foulest smelling beer I've ever encountered. Dirty diapers came to mind first, but as soon as somebody said "vomit", that's all I could think about. From the little bit of reading I've done, it seems like vomit-like odors result from problems with the yeast. Only one person from our group finished his ~2oz. sample, and he had to pinch his nose to do it.

Taste: Vomit doesn't seem to appear in the taste, but disassociating taste and smell is a difficult thing to do. Without inhaling, I tasted a pretty clean, grainy base with some light funk and lemon zest.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied, generously carbonated, and sharp (tart). Seemed about right for the style, though I was only able to choke down two sips of this one.

Overall: I couldn't put down more than two sips of this. The smell was just too repulsive. Avoid at all costs!

1.68/5  rDev -44.4%

Pours a hazy straw-yellow with a nice-looking (if not too impressive in size) white head.

Smell: skunky, stinky cheese; various barnyard smells... not appetizing. Not even for a wild ale.

Tastes worse than it smells. One sip and I'm contemplating a drain pour just to save myself the pain of finishing this one off. Just a whole bunch of flavors that are individually abrasive and when taken altogether are almost unbearable. Nail polish remover is added to the mix of crap listed in the smell section. In certain beers, I really enjoy some of these attributes, but this beer just doesn't get anything right.

1.7/5  rDev -43.7%

Thanks to Russ for this as an extra! Cheers Enoteca!
Best by: 10/22/2012

A: Pours a light brass ale with superb clarity. Poor 1/2 finger washy white head production which is transient, but the carbonation from the bottom makes a centralized cap which it absolute.

S: Farm funk, grainy sourness, very gueuze-like in the nose. But a cheap gueuze, nothing too refined. Hints of cola, hay, lemon zest, orange juice, fairly complex and appreciable.

T: Wow, this is shit! I struggle to find any of the pleasantries provided by the nose. Tastes like the smell of a wet diaper. Poorly matured beer. Wow, I'm gonna have a hard time with this. Almost like soda water, with flavors of infection (in a bad way). Okay, some light bitterness appreciated at the end.

M: Light, spritely carbonation. Leaves the mouth wishing I had something to eat that was less offensive - see: shit.

D: I just poured this beer down the drain. Mikkeller should be embarrassed to release this beer. Might as well bottle alka-seltzer.

1.73/5  rDev -42.7%

"No, it's not!"

Cap says it's good until 2012. That's pretty damn bold for a beer that's under five percent.

Still, nice pour. Dark honey orange with a big white champagne head.

Smells woody and sour. Not very intense, but not bad. Like fruit nodes, a little bit of funk.

Tastes surprisingly bland. A little sour up front, but not nearly as much as I was hoping. This disolves into a soapy and woody middle that tastes kind of like a petting zoo smells and dissolves again, thankfully, into a 7upish finish of sparkly lemon. Man, that middle really kills it.

Eh... not a drainpour, but certainly not worth your money.

Edit: Check that, this is a drainpour.

1.75/5  rDev -42.1%

1.8/5  rDev -40.4%

Pours a very light, slightly cloudy lemon yellow colour, with a fine but thin head of white foam. Lacing is pretty good. Looks very light in the body, but that's to be expected, and it goes with the other visual traits of the beer. Not bad looking at all.

Quite pungently sour on the nose. Big notes of green apple, and citrus, with huge funky barnyard characters. Aromatic, but not necessarily all that pleasant, in any case. Really unapologetically funky. About as raw and ragged as you get with brett. I have to respect that at least.

The taste is where it just catastrophically falls apart. It's so thin and devoid of character that I started to wonder if I'd imagined the funkiness on the nose. There's perhaps a slight bitterness on the front, but it disappears so completely I'm inclined to think the flavour is an apparition. A light unpleasant yeast funk appears out of nowhere sometime after the beer seems to be gone, but that's it. It's so bereft of flavour otherwise, that I find myself brutally offended. Mouthfeel is weak and limp - water has more character than this.

What a beer of contrasts. This is a beer that drew me in with a hint of tantalising mystery, then left me tied up on a bed with my wallet and passport stolen and no memory of how I had ever got into this sorry state. I have to say I'm bitterly offended by it in the end, and I really hope I can help someone else avoid it in the future. Beware.

1.83/5  rDev -39.4%

Consumed on 2/21/09

Poured a golden color with no head. Aroma is funk and tartness through and through. Taste is...awful! At first, it seems great and then it hits you - like a saddle in the mouth. Leather, leather, and more leather; I almost puked. Had to finish off that gulp with a swig of bacardi sitting on my counter. Do not recommend this one to anyone unless you're a leather head.

I'm hoping that this is just a bad bottle as my review is much lower than the average!

1.83/5  rDev -39.4%

11.2oz bottle to tulip. Best by 22/10/12, sampled 8/26/11. $8 for the experience.

A: Pours with an average sized head, frothy and off-white, and mediocre retention. The body is medium straw yellow, hazy and there are loads of furiously paced bubbles arising within. Yeast in suspension.

S: Light straw, white wine vinegar & funky/dirty socks. Very musty. Faint scents of white grape and berry, more than likely derived from the Brett strain.

T: Absolutely void of flavor from the beginning of the palate through the finish. Thankfully the flavor began to improve (albeit marginally) after 10 minutes of warming.

M: The body is light and thin with an extremely empty, chalky finish that is basically flavorless and "just dry" with absolutely nothing else.

O: From the first sip, I knew I wasn't going to finish this one. No way this beer should have ever passed QC and made it to the market. You've gotten me once again Mikkeller.

1.9/5  rDev -37.1%

this is not alright, not even a little bit.

this actually looks like urine. it pours a pee straw/yellow/orange with a bit of a head that completely goes away. on top of that there is absolutely no carbonation and not even a hint of lace. i had to vigorously swirl my glass around just to get a few bubbles!

it smells like sweet apples with almost a funky mold smell. it's a very "off" smell.

tastes like watered down carbonated apple juice and leaves this absolutely disgusting dry yeasty aftertaste.

very light and absolutely not drinkable at all. this is a drain pour.

It's Alright! from Mikkeller ApS