It's Alright! - Mikkeller ApS

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

Belgian Pale Ale |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: hopdog on 01-28-2009

Brewed at De Proef Brouwerij, Lochristi-Hijfte, Belgium.

Ingredients: Water, malt (pale and caramunich), light rock sugar, hops (hallertauer og styrian goldings), ale yeast and brettanomyces.
2.16/5  rDev -27%

I poured this 11.2 oz. beer into an large wine glass. 22/10/12 printed on cap - I assume this is a best by date.

A: cloudy golden color, the initial pour produces a fizzy off-white head that quickly dies into... nothing, non-existent cap and pathetic lacing.

S: mild to moderate levels of Belgian funk, horse blanket, sour grape, over-ripe fruit, clove, pepper, cider. This is as good as it gets, folks.

T: my first impression is that I have imbibed a glass of sweat: this is what horse blanket must taste like! The grain is bone-dry and feels like it has been hijacked by evil brett. In fact, I believe it has. Other than that I pick up vaguely sour notes, and perhaps some paper flavor. Yes, it tastes like paper. The only reason I am not giving this a 1 for taste is that it is not gag-inducing, but rather merely awful. This isn't alright; this is going down the drain.

M: light-bodied, watery to lightly silky, moderate to plentiful carbonation.

O: if you like the taste of sweaty horse blanket, rush out and buy this beer immediately! (1,045 characters)

3.23/5  rDev +9.1%

867th Review on BA
Bottle to Piraat Tulip
12oz

No bottle date

Purchased from Craft in Reno, NV

App- A standard pale ale color. Very golden yellow with a good two finger head and fades to a couple dots of cling.

Smell- Hmmm. I think it was too much brett if that could happen. It was a bit lactic, stringy, citrus and yeasty.

Taste- Opened with a lot of flavors that taste like soap. Followed by some citrus, yeast and spice.

Mouth- Lighter bodied with a high carbonation. Citrusy and pepper.

Drink- This was a bit of a let down. I expected more but just fell off in areas. (579 characters)

3.32/5  rDev +12.2%

Aroma is strong, crisp and malty with a fruity undertone. It pours a clear yellow with an average white head. Flavor is mainly malty and has some fruit flavor, mainly apple and banana, as well as a hint of hoppy bitterness. Texture is a bit on the thin side but still fizzy and lively. Not Mikkeller’s best, but, well, it’s alright. ;) (339 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -13.9%

First beer from Mikkeller, a 11.2 oz bottle from Superstar Beverage, poured into a tulip.

Off the pour, this is a hazy light yellow with sparse floating sediment and some serious carbonation bubbles throughout. Head is decent, leaving tad bits of lacing and lingering around as a soapy foam cap.

Nose is subtle, but relatively complex: hints of sour apple and lemon rind, plus some floral elements and grain support.

Wow, this isn't even "alright", it's just plain bad. The sourness that I was anticipating is mostly absent, replaced by a wretched phenolic taste of band-aids, hand soap and baby powder. As it warms, the lemon becomes a bit more apparent, but not enough to save it; they couldn't be further away from a pleasing funk if they tried. Immature and plain are probably the most appropriate words I can employ to describe this.

This drinks easily enough, but that's only because I'm trying to get through it as quick as possible so I can crack something else. My mouth literally feels like it did when I was five when my mom washed my mouth out with soap for using unsavory language. Light bodied, watery, dry and unmemorable.

Overall, a piss-poor Belgian Wild, especially for the $6 I dropped on it. I hope the other Mikkellers I have laid down make up for this train wreck. Avoid! (1,300 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Served from a 33cl brown glass bottle with a standard pressure cap into a generic hefeweissbier glass in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live.

A: Pours a four finger head of lackluster cream, poor thickness, and good retention. Colour is a cloudy yellow.

Sm: Smells of bacteria, yeast, flowers, and light citrus. Very pleasant and floral without going into the sourness of lambic aromas. Strength is moderate.

T: Taste is floral but slightly sour - especially on the finish. This doesn't suit it at all. It's almost a bit watery and is certainly bland. There's no boldness of flavour. Built simply and poorly for the style. Balanced in its blandness.

Mf: Smooth and wet; too much on both counts. Doesn't suit the beer, but it's appropriate for the style.

Dr: Easy to drink, low ABV, and low quality. I think the title is rather apt. I'm becoming increasingly convinced that Mikkeller's dark beers are gold and their light beers are mundande. (965 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -49.3%

Looks very hazy straw colored with a very soap bubble head appearance. Like many others have mentioned before me, this beer does indeed have the nose of a lower-than-mediocre gueze (very light tones of funk, belgian yeast, sourness yet nothing else more complex) but also has the terrible taste of a badly infected brew: Watered down metallic blood-like off flavor coating rotting lemons and sweaty gym socks. :( Yikes. There is also a terrible soapy and greasy mouthfeel that makes it seem as though that soap bubble head was actually made with real soap. Drainpoured, and I wish I could get my money back.
This one has an unusually high disappointment to money spent ratio.

AVOID AT ALL COST. IT'S ALL-WRONG! (711 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

11.2oz bottle poured into a Cantillon wine glass.

To begin with, this was a completely blind buy. My phone was dead while in Manhattan, so I couldn't look up any reviews for it, and I've never heard of it. I figured I'd take the plunge though just because I've never seen it around me.

A - Pours a straw yellow with a few streams of carbonation bubbling up the center. There's a slight haze to the body, but for the most part it's relatively clear. The head is an active, 2-fingered affair with decent retention, but even when it leaves it isn't shy about remaining as a large, foamy cap. Lacing is clumpy and sticky, and covers a good portion of the siding.

S - I'm honestly surprised on the nose on this beer. I was expecting something more mild, but what I get is an almost gueuze-like aroma immediately after uncapping this beer and from a few feet away. Very impressive and full of barnyard funk, horse blanket, wet grass and aged cheese. Think of hay and fields after a Spring rain. Supportive grain malt backbone. The Brett really took a hold of this beer for the better.

T - Wait... what? The nose and taste of this beer couldn't be farther apart. I was expecting a delicious tartness, bold and vibrant with a great Belgian influence. What I am getting instead is uninspired, boring, and for a lack of a better word, bland. Seriously, the first few sips I barely got any flavors at all, but rather a carbonated, somewhat metallic water. I honestly can't see how this big of a disjoint is even possible, but here it is in my glass. In fact, this continues throughout the whole glass, only here and there bringing semblances of taste. Mikkeller must be a great magician, because he took both the flavor and my $6 out of the amazing aroma. I guess I could say it's relatively malty, but for the most part it's watery, metallic, somewhat bitter, and devoid of flavor. What happened?

M - Mouthfeel is light-bodied with low carbonation. Utterly lifeless. No mouth-puckering tartness, no enamel-rotting sourness, no nothing.

D - Drinkability is low. After the appearance and aroma on this beer, I was setting myself up for a respectable wild, but I guess that was expecting too much as it is just downhill from there. My advice? Pour the bottle into the glass and just admire it from afar. Don't dare to approach it with your mouth. Or better yet? Just steer clear; your tastebuds, wallet, and expectations will thank you. (2,429 characters)

1.62/5  rDev -45.3%

Sampled this for the first time with some friends last night. I apologize for the short review, but I could only bear a few sips of this one.

Poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Hazy, pale yellow body with a moderate-sized, white head.

Smell: This may be the foulest smelling beer I've ever encountered. Dirty diapers came to mind first, but as soon as somebody said "vomit", that's all I could think about. From the little bit of reading I've done, it seems like vomit-like odors result from problems with the yeast. Only one person from our group finished his ~2oz. sample, and he had to pinch his nose to do it.

Taste: Vomit doesn't seem to appear in the taste, but disassociating taste and smell is a difficult thing to do. Without inhaling, I tasted a pretty clean, grainy base with some light funk and lemon zest.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied, generously carbonated, and sharp (tart). Seemed about right for the style, though I was only able to choke down two sips of this one.

Overall: I couldn't put down more than two sips of this. The smell was just too repulsive. Avoid at all costs! (1,094 characters)

3.43/5  rDev +15.9%

A: The beer is slightly hazy golden yellow in color and has a light to moderate amount of carbonation. It poured with a two finger high off white head that died down but consistently left a thin head covering the surface.
S: There are light to moderate aromas of spicy hops and funkiness from the brettanomyces yeast in the nose.
T: Like the smell, spiciness from the hops stands out in the overall taste, although these aren’t too strong. There is a mild amount of associated hop bitterness and some notes of sourness in the finish.
M: It feels light-bodied and crisp on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation. There is a moderate amount of dryness from start to finish.
O: The sourness might seem to be a bit out of this style, but it definitely adds some uniqueness to the smell and taste. It’s definitely a lot easier to drink this beer compared to a gueuze or wild ale. (888 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +37.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow, this is one of those beers I am glad I didn't read the reviews before hand...I might not have bought it.

I get what people are saying in previous reviews...the nose doesn't match the taste (most don't), thin bodied, mild notes. However, this beer doesn't suffer because of those qualities, that is just how it is. It's a mild Belgian Pale with some Brett, what do you expect?

Pours a nice golden color with a minimal white head.
Aroma is simply amazing; bubblegum, some funk, basically, sweet and funky.

Mouthfeel is thin and carbonation is minimal, notes of lemonzest, some grassy hops, and a bit of funk.

Overall; a simple and nice beer with one of the most intriguing aromas I have ever experienced. (711 characters)

3.18/5  rDev +7.4%

First had: on tap at Farmers' Cabinet, Philly, PA

Poured a cloudy, golden yellow with a small fizzy head. Crisp aroma with sweet fruit scents, and what I could only describe as "oceany." Light and tart taste, with light fruits--lemon, grapes--and a bit of grassiness. Very light mouthfeel, and finishes off pretty dry. Not too big on flavor, but easily drinkable nonetheless.

I guess what I'm trying to say is...it's alri...nevermind. (436 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +37.8%

One of my first Wild Ales.

Poured into tulip.
Hazzy pour while the yeast and everything settled.
Aroma seemed not with no over powering unlikeable smells or fragrences.
Good mouth feel, similar to unfilted Saisons.
Taste very good suttle hints of several different ingredients.
Overall very good beer and VERY DRINKABLE!!! (328 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +11.5%

on tap at the Washington Commons.

a light coppery, fairly clear pour reveals very little head. the smell is of some bretty funk and a little grain. nothing too much popping off but it is a bit revealed. Like a see-through chemise. Taste is pleasant, looking for something a little more sour, but this'll do on this night. Slight brett sour and funk, fairly light on flavor otherwise, the yeast dominates without being overpowering. A pretty good beer. Had this once before out of the bottle and this was pretty similar.
All in all, not bad, not sure how often I'd get this at $8/12oz but it is what it is. Keep working at it, Mikkeller. (639 characters)

1.84/5  rDev -37.8%

Thanks to Russ for this as an extra! Cheers Enoteca!
Best by: 10/22/2012

A: Pours a light brass ale with superb clarity. Poor 1/2 finger washy white head production which is transient, but the carbonation from the bottom makes a centralized cap which it absolute.

S: Farm funk, grainy sourness, very gueuze-like in the nose. But a cheap gueuze, nothing too refined. Hints of cola, hay, lemon zest, orange juice, fairly complex and appreciable.

T: Wow, this is shit! I struggle to find any of the pleasantries provided by the nose. Tastes like the smell of a wet diaper. Poorly matured beer. Wow, I'm gonna have a hard time with this. Almost like soda water, with flavors of infection (in a bad way). Okay, some light bitterness appreciated at the end.

M: Light, spritely carbonation. Leaves the mouth wishing I had something to eat that was less offensive - see: shit.

D: I just poured this beer down the drain. Mikkeller should be embarrassed to release this beer. Might as well bottle alka-seltzer. (1,005 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -11.8%

33cl into a tulip. Pours a hazy dingy straw color, minor head subsided quickly, little lacing.

Aroma is dominated by hops on top of light skinned fruits and yeast both white bread doughy and wild.

Taste is again dominated by hops followed by subtle grapefruit, watery and mediocre. Brett is obvious but unfortunately kept too restrained. Mildly dry. The aftertaste reminds me of chalk and peanut shell. Thin prickly mouthfeel.
cheers
jd (438 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -5.7%

From notes:

Pours a clear golden yellow color that is slightly hazy with a thin white head that quickly dissipates leaving no lacing.

Slightly earthy smelling with some funky tartness as well as maybe some champagne yeast like notes in the aroma as well as some pale malt, subtle hops and light fruit.

Flavor is similar to aroma with some slight funky tart notes mixed with hints of estery golden frut, earthy hops, dry Brett, bready yeast and faint hops. Dry finish. (470 characters)

1.42/5  rDev -52%

AVOID AT ALL COSTS!
Bought at New Star-ell liquor on divis and fell in SF

NOTE: This must have been a turned bottle, the yeast obviously went crazy in this and did something awful, i very much doubt Mikkeller would release a beer in this state...this brew proves the unpredictability and art of brewing with Brett.

A: golden with a nice off white head on top.

S: absolutely terrible, it smelled like limberger cheese mixed with week old running shoes - rotten feet and old, musty earth is the only thing my buddy (also a Mikkeller fan) and i got out of this...by far the worst nose I have EVER smelled on any beer.

T: if you could undo the smell, this may have been barely tolerable but still had overwhelming musty, overly-earthy, off-bitter and cheese-like/rotten milk notes mixed in with an ordinary light belgian wild ale sourness.

M: couldn't really notice the mouthfeel as i was too grossed out.

D: Quite simply undrinkable - we poured it back and the guy at New-Star let us exchange it for a lovely saison.

I could not believe the most undrinkable beer i've ever tasted came from one of the best breweries on earth - everybody makes mistakes! (1,163 characters)

3.1/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured from a 11.2 fl oz bottle into a Chimay chalice.

Appearance: A fingers worth of off white head appears after the pour. Very dense head, almost white colored, but not quite. The head flat out disappears after a while, no lacing. This beer has a light orange color, like a lager only darker. Fairly cloudy, I tried not to disturb the yeast, looks like I didn't do a great job.

Smell: This beer has a citrusy smell to it, almost sour. I get some orange, but the sourness has almost an earthy smell. Plenty of wheat in this one as well.

Taste: A little orange citrusy flavor right away. The sourness comes next, and then wheat. With the citrus comes a slight sweetness. Again, sourness is the dominating flavor here. With the citrus from the orange there is also a little lemon.

Mouthfeel: Light body with medium to high carbonation. Something I would expect from a beer with this style. Finishes extremely clean.

Overall: This is a beer that is extremely easy to drink. Not a lot of extreme flavors, and the mouthfeel easy as well. Nothing crazy here, fairly solid. Overall, not crazy about this beer, but based on the style, I think the grade fits. (1,157 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +18.2%

A small head appears when poured into a brandy snifter and quickly dissipates, leaving the hazy, golden yellow brew pretty foam-free on top. Very little active carbonation.

The sour, musty lambic aroma leaves no question the yeast is of wild origins. The smell of sourdough bread with notes of citrus and ripe cheese permeate the air.

If accustomed to sour beers, this may suit you fine. Cloudy with sediment and yeast, the flavor is all over the palate with strong grapefruit, lime and moldy cheese fighting for prominence. Hops in the background add some intrigue. The lingering aftertaste is remnant of aged Parmesan rind.

Good with fruit and cheese, a nice session beer if you can find some friends who like this kind of stuff. (734 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +36.5%

Poured clear into a goblet with enough yeast at the bottom to make me back off a little. Golden, develops bubbles but no head.

The yeast is this beers salient character from nose to tongue. The smell hits me thick with lactobacillicus -- that is to say I smell the sour, bacterial tartness, and it is not unlike lemon in this one. A little bit of funkiness and barnyard smell, but that comes out -- and almost soil like in the flavor. I really do enjoy the tart and light flavor of this one, and it goes down real easy. If not for the price, I'd be pouring another. (567 characters)

Poured into a tulip glass.

A - Pours a nice slightly hazy pure golden yellow color with a nice soapy white head that is about 2 inches tall. There are some thin bubbles intermingled with some bigger ones and retention is pretty good.

S - Aroma starts off with some tart lemon peel and some slightly tropical fruit aromas. Some oranges and also slight pineapple. There is some apple sweetness intermingled with the tartness and there is also some nice funk to this beer.

T & M - Flavor starts of with a more muted tart flavor in contrast to the aroma. There is some nice grain and malt backbone that is interlaced well with the Brett funk. There is a slightly salty and mineral water like quality to the flavor as well. The beer is very light and crisp with a nice fluffy and clean feel. There is a slight bitterness to it but its not too overwhelming. I dont think its amazing but I dont understand the lower ratings on the site. I think its still a pretty ok beer.

D - Very drinkable in terms of ABV. Nothing amazing but still good. (1,038 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -12.8%

I do most my tastings, like this one, from a 3oz snifter i refill over the course of time. i get a more diverse range of flavors, as more yeast is incorperated as the bottle empties.

This bottle has alot of yeast in the bottom, but my first 3oz pour is perfectly non hazy. It's such a light color you could think its a mass produced filtered light lager with better head retention. just a very light clear straw color.
Oh my this stuff is rank with funk, dirty dusty musty moldy wet hay, smells like manure that has aired out a few days. i have been smelling this for ten mins without taking a sip, and i cant decide if it's from enjoyment, perplexion, or fear.
Alright here goes.
Well the taste is more subdued then the aroma at least, a very light funk, light lemon and straw, just lacking overall in fullness of body. very light drinking and thin.

After getting to the bottom of the glass, with more concentration yeast in the glass also, it becomes obvious that the yeast is largely the source of flavor. Make sure to add in all the yeast, and your get a bit more tart and flavorfull glass.

At $5 a bottle, pick up an Orval for the same instead, which is what this was tributed to.

Chad (1,195 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -12.5%

part of the epicness that was the halloween weekend of beer. the last few nights have kicked my ass in every way, but i got to try a bunch of goodies that have long haunted me. served chilled and poured into a 8 ounce taster, this one was consumed on 10/30/2010.

this one poured into the glass a very fizzy and very active yellow color. a big head of white caps the top of the glass and reaches a height of around two inches before settling down with some decent lacing around the edges of the glass.

the look was about the only redeeming quality however as the first hints of aroma leave me struggling to understand what this is. light lemon, loads of musky grain and bready notes, a mess. wet grass and hay start coming through now and the over impression i get is just off. decent feel albeit way too light for any style. the flavor is just not there. its an odd mix of off color grains, odd touches of light citrus and wet hay like tartness that really just goes nowhere.

overall i am not sure what the attempt here was at, but pretty sure it did not work as planned. (1,074 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -7.4%

Bottle. Pours a slightly hazy yellow straw color with some orange highlights. White head that collars around the glass as it settles. The brett has totally taken over this beer and the aroma really shows it with a very strong floral type smell. Some lemon and funk as well. Light mouthfeel with some carbonation. The taste is pretty funky with notes of florals. No real hops at all to speak of. Slight lemon type tartness in the beginning with a lingering funkiness. An interesting beer but not really a favorite of mine. The funk is not that good. (548 characters)

3.03/5  rDev +2.4%

The bottle actually lists this as a "Belgian Wild Ale" due to the addition of Brettanomyces but I found the Belgian Pale title a little more fitting.

A-Pours a nice,hazy golden yellow with one finger of loose white head and scant lacing.Some active carbonation was also visible.

S-Ripe green apple,lemon and some wet hay mustiness.

T-More green apple with some grassy/citric hops,pale malt and brett.Some lingering sourdough notes on the finish.

M-Light,crisp and pedestrian.Nothing too remarkable.A decent brew but not a repeat buy.

D-Nothing that makes this beer horrible but nothing that makes it stand out either. (622 characters)

It's Alright! from Mikkeller ApS