Warrior Single Hop IPA - Mikkeller ApS

Warrior Single Hop IPAWarrior Single Hop IPA

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

Brewed at De Proef Brouwerij, Lochristi-Hijfte, Belgium.

Ingredients: Water, malts (pilsner, cara-crystal and munich), hops (warrior) and yeast.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-13-2009)
3.43/5  rDev -8.8%

I'm a big fan of the Mikkeller De Proef beers but this one challenges me a bit, which is a good thing. Beer should make us question our likes and dislikes, right? What's better than a beer that just confuses the hell out of us? The bottle says "American Style India Pale Ale" but this is definitely brewed with the Brett yeast, which--to me--makes it a Belgian IPA, but let's not split hairs, let's talk about the beer.

Smell: Musty, vegetative, earthy, grassy. As it warms, the beer takes on an interesting and strong thistle note, almost like a soft, aged sheep's milk cheese. I love funk, but the smell makes me do a double take. My guess is the curious note here is a characteristic of the Warrior hops. I hesitate to say it, but the warmer the beer gets, the more it starts to smell like asafoetida, which is a resinous extract made from wild fennel and common to Indian and Middle Eastern foods. Note that while fennel bulb tastes like licorice, asafoetida tastes more like onions or garlic and is often used as a substitute for onions in cooking.

Taste: Fortunately, the taste doesn't change as it warms. The flavors are on par with the smell minus the thistly element: musty, earthy, and grassy. Definitely bitter, but not a crisp, acidic bitter.

If you're interested in an IPA that isn't strictly "clean," "crisp" or "citrusy," this is it. As far as IPAs with Brett funk go, if Victory Wild Devil is a front-porch-sipping beer, this is a lock-yourself-in-the-attic-and-look-at-the-spider-webs beer. If you like really earthy flavors like washed-rind cheeses, beets, and mushrooms, then I recommend this beer, if only for the experience alone.

TheNapkin, Jun 17, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +3.7%

A: Pours a hazy golden tangerine color with a large, dense, and sticky ecru colored head. Nice sheets of lace left behind, and the head retains rather well at about a good 1/2 inch of foam.

S: Aroma isn't that bold. Lemony/light citrus, slightly earthy hop aromas. A sweet bready malt is detectable, as well.

T&M: Very interesting flavor. Hop flavors are eathy, herbal (not grassy, but almost tea-like), and slightly citrusy up front. Bready malt flavor. Body is medium with good coating, a spritzy, yet enjoyable carbonation, and overall nice feel. Well done.

D: Good flavor and rather drinkable. Warrior Single Hop is definitely better than Cascade Single Hop, which I just sampled. I definitely appreciate Mikkeller's attempt to allow us to sample the different hop varietals in beers that feature identical malt bills that are brewed using the same yeast. Next up will be the Simcoe Single Hop IPA.

BamaBeerBuff, Jun 16, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +23.7%

Poured from the 12oz bottle into a wine glass.

Appearance- Beer pours cloudy and amber with a hefty three finger head of foam that dies gradually and leaves more than ample lacing on the sides of the glass. Yeast gathers at the bottom in a stringy formation. Weird looking yeast.

Smell- Warrior hop is a most elusive hop and I love the smell of this animal. It reminds me of Three Floyds with all the fruitiness that it gives off. It smells nearly Belgian except for that spicy texture burning the nose hairs slightly. Malt is fairly balanced, I'm sure the yeast is also contributing to this great fruity smell.

Taste- Sweet and delicious, clearly something I would love to have in six or four packs or even in a larger bottle. This could be one of the best single IPA's I've had in my life. It coats the tongue with a rich malty sweetness and those warrior hops are just delicious. Fruity, estery, a bit cloudy.

Mouthfeel- A bit sticky, creamy, juicy, medium full bodied, medium low in carbonation.

Drinkability- The detractor on this drinkability is the mouthfeel and the price of it. I would love to have more, but at 5.99 a bottle, it's somewhat painful to buy many more.

blakesell, Jun 13, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +9.8%

Bottle from Party Town, KY.

Poured hazy copper color with an average frothy off-white head that lasted with excellent lacing. Moderate to heavy floral hop and small malt aroma. Medium body with a slick texture and soft carbonation. Moderate to heavy bittersweet flavor with a moderate to heavy bittersweet finish of medium to long duration.

This is a great beer and one that I would recommend to any freind.

tmoneyba, Jun 02, 2009
3.53/5  rDev -6.1%

Somewhat cloudy app. Great initial head and retention, copper in color.

Smell is of a faint piney aroma w/ some mild fruity apricot notes with a slight estery undertone.

Faint honey sweetness with mild balanceing bitterness and slight piney flavor.

Decently crisp with a lingering sweetness.

This is a decent beer but I would like the esters toned down. It's also a bit one noted and could use some more hop complexity.

jasonjlewis, Jun 01, 2009
3.65/5  rDev -2.9%

Pours a murky blood orange color with a fantastic rocky cream colored head that left plenty of chunky lacing as it dissipated. The aroma is of tropical fruit, pineapple and juicyfruit. Some grassy notes towards the end. Nice aroma but very sweet. Tropical fruits flavors hit right away but then quickly transitions into a piney, resiny bitter hop profile. Good malt presence helps offset the bitter blast but still loses. Well bodied, with prickly carbonation, has an asprin like dryness which sucks any moisture out of the mouth. Definitely not the hop profile that I prefer and the brew feels bigger than its ABV. Still very interesting and I look forward to their other single hop IPAs.

Gmann, May 30, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +11.2%

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."

--Sun Tzu

Ripe kumquat with honey colored highlights. My usual pour filled more than half the glass with golden beige colored foam, so carbonation has to be on the high side. The crown melts slooowly, looks pretty good while doing so, and isn't shy about laying down lace. Huge haze and ludicrous lace earn the next highest score in the end.

Warrior isn't one of my favorite hops because it doesn't have quite as much personality as Centennial, Simcoe, Amarillo, et al. That said, there's enough lupulin goodness in the nose to earn the beer a good score. It's semi-citrusy and semi-earthy, with a background of toasted malts.

My love for well-brewed, lupulin-loaded, single-hopped IPAs overcomes any ambivalence about the specific hop variety. Besides, Warrior does itself proud in this brew, delivering plenty of smooth bitterness and enjoyable flavor. The crown indicates a 'best by' date of 10/12/10, which is hard to figure. If you see a bottle that's within one year of that date, I'd pass.

Mikkeller WSH IPA reminds me of Three Floyds Alpha King... only not as delicious. There's less caramel maltiness in this beer and a bit less hoppiness. Flavors include toasted bread, sweet and tangy orange peel, bitter white grapefruit pith and tea leaves. This is a pretty tasty offering that any hophead should adore. Too bad it's uber-expensive.

The mouthfeel is beautifully built. It's at least medium for the style, if not a fraction more full, and any worries about excess carbonation are now forgotten. I'm impressed that the brewers could design a hoppy-as-hell IPA to be this glassy smooth and crushed velvet plush.

If a single bottle didn't cost almost as much as a six-pack of Boulevard Single-Wide IPA, I would drink a heapin' helpin' of Warrior Single Hop IPA. It's good, hoppy beer, but it isn't *that* good.

BuckeyeNation, May 25, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours a foggy amber brown with a orange tint. Big creme head. Too big. Again (like the Cascade.) Nose is perfume, floral tones, and what I felt for a second was jasmine tea. Just for a quick hit. Very subtle indeed. Flavor is kind of a thicker almost syrup kind of thing with some alcohol similar tones. Too much like the Cascade IMO. Feel is a bit thicker on the liquid and the carbonation is a bit nipping at the mouth. Overall this is decent. I wouldn't call it great. Maybe good enough. But could be better and could be more rounded on the profile.

RblWthACoz, May 23, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +16.5%

I'm always impressed by Mikheller's ability to take a style and really turn it on it's head. I was almost ready to poo-poo this beer when I had my first sip. Cold, and straight out of the fridge, I thought that it was too dry and turbid. But as it warmed a little, and I warmed myself with a few more sips, I've discovered that this is a terrific IPA. Warrior seems almost like a cleaner Columbus. It gives a very clean bittering, almost like Magnum, but with a nice hop aroma and citrusy hop flavor. I get some almost Belgian-esque notes (pear, mango, Clove). The taste lingers, but not forever.

I wish that this cheaper and available in six packs. I would gladly drink a sixer of these

goatxpower, May 14, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +13.8%

Bottle into Sam Adams lager glass. Drank at 55 degrees and up.

Pours hazy pale copper with a monstrous, fluffy off-white head. Recedes down pretty quickly actually, leaving some spotty lacing. Heads just a bit too foamy though, big bubbles, I'm looking generally for a denser, thicker head. Took three tries and waiting in between to pour.

Nose is floral to me, almost perfumey, with notes of honeysuckle, bit grassy. Not nearly as citrusy and C-hoppy as I expected. really a nice smelling beer though.

Taste is again very floral, some orangey citrus, with a strong, piney bitterness. Very hop-forward beer. Finish is long, fairly bitter at lower temps, maybe overly so, with lingering floral notes. gets better towards room temp, while keeping the great floral notes. This one doesn't feel quite fresh, but it's a fantastic IPA so long as you're not expecting the same ol' citrusy, piney, c-hops notes.

Mouthfeel is smooth, creamy, very nice. One of the high points of the beer.

While I initially rated the drinkability at 3.5, once this one got to about room temp, finishing it, all I could think of was how great another would be. Top notch. Surprisingly good IPA.

Still, this was actually a really good beer, and a great lesson in terms of warrior hops. This one reminded me of some of my favorite aspects of fresh Nugget Nectar, especially the big, floral hop notes in both aroma and taste. Also interesting that, because you can see every aspect of a single hop in one beer, its flaws tend to be revealed. With this one, the flavor and aroma hoppings were good, if one dimensional, but the bittering hopping wasn't its strong point. Looking forward to trying the Simcoe and Cascade variants sitting in the fridge.

JohnQVegas, May 08, 2009

11.2 oz bottle

A: Cloudy copper under a huge head. Great retention and lace again save the day.

S: Citrus hop, but not huge. Orange, star fruit, lemon and grapefruit. Some spice character, almost a slight bubble gum like character. Bit of a sweet aroma.

T: Fresh hops, very mild pine character. Still getting a hint of bubble gum. Hops finish clean and more citrus-like. Bitterness is fairly mild.

M/D: Medium, smooth bodied, low carbonation. Nice drinkability. Not as good as the Simcoe version, but still good. The bubble gum and spice character I pick up is obviously out of place, but it never throws the beer off.

NCSUdo, May 06, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +24.5%

Wow, I ordered this when I was out, and I was very surprised. It poured just like an average IPA. Decent head and lacing. It is an opaque copper. Smells floral and grassy, and the hops are very pleasing. The taste is almost just as good. It's initially a bit malty, but the piney hops come in soon enough. The warrior is bitter, but it's a pleasant bitter. Carbonation is good in this beer, as is the thickness. The ABV isn't low by any means, but it's not so high to where you're limited to one or two glasses. I'll definitely get this beer again when I'm out.

Jablonski, May 04, 2009
3.8/5  rDev +1.1%

Picked this up at Green's along with the other two single hop offerings from Mikkeller. Pours a slightly murky amber color. Moderate carbonation and lacing. Smell is very hoppy and slightly citrusy. Citric taste and hops are very prevalent. Some orange peel in the taste as well. Bitter aftertaste lingers for a while. Overall, a good beer. It's definitely nice to see which hops give beer particular characters.

jdubjacket, May 04, 2009
3.5/5  rDev -6.9%

This is a weird one. It is a valuable tool to understand Warrior hops in both the bittering and aroma roles, but the fact is that Warriors by themselves don't really make great beer.

Pours a hazy oragny with a huge fluffy head that falls to nice lacing. The aroma is all warrior - bready, hay-like, a bit sour, a little spice. The flavor is strong, citric, like a bitter blood orange, so strong that the malt is difficult to pick out. It's unclear what yeast they used, but it has a Belgian edge that the companion Simcoe single hop didn't have - it's phenolic and with a little sour bite. The bitterness is distinct but somewhat muted on the finish. The mouthfeel is quite thin.

This is an interesting beer to try, but not one I would visit often.

Seanibus, Apr 30, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +18.4%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a copper color and a cloudy consistency. There was a huge amount of creamy, long-lasting head and some very good lacing.

S: Smelled of hops and yeast more than anything else.

T: A nice taste of citrusy hops, yeast and maybe a little grain. Bitter, to be sure, but not overwhelmingly so.

M: A highly carbonated beer with a slightly slick, fairly bitter finish. Medium-bodied.

D: This is a tasty, drinkable IPA. Not the most complex taste-wise, but easy to like.

avalon07, Apr 27, 2009
2.7/5  rDev -28.2%

Before having this beer, I was intrigued to try a single hop IPA. I'm not too aware of the flavor or aroma profile of the warrior hop as I've typically used it in my homebrewing as a bittering only hop. Time to see how it stacks up in flavor/aroma.

A: The beer pours very carbonated. I poured about half of the bottle in my glass very carefully and had to quickly stop. The head rose about 5 inches initially. It died down finally, but plentiful carbonation was abound. A outstanding lace sticks to the sides. The crisp white head never ends. The beer is a yeasty-cloudy orangish amber color.

S: Floral, grassy, and faintly citrus hop aromas come out. I didn't get even a hint of malt in the aroma. The hop is definitely king in the nose of this beer. Really more of a clean hop aroma. Very pleasant and inviting.

T: A solid, clean hoppy bitterness assaults the tongue initally. This mellows out into a grassy, citrusy bitterness. The bitterness is strong but not harsh. There is a slight citrus component, but I mostly get grassiness. This bitterness sticks around for quite a while after the drink. The dissapointing thing about this beer is the lack of malts. I get a very faint sweet fruitiness. It is gone in a nanosecond as the hops take the driver's seat.

M: Really on the light end for an IPA. It is clean and crisp, but a little too watery.

D: I was really let down by this beer. It wasn't terrible, but it definitely wasn't a beer I'm going to long for. They did a good job of displaying the warrior hops aroma and bitterness, but I wasn't pleased with the malts. For the price ($5.69 a bottle) this beer really wasn't worth it for me. I will try their other single hop beers however. I just hope my experience is better.

brewdoc75, Apr 21, 2009
3.85/5  rDev +2.4%

Opaque orange with substantial white creamy head. Some hoppy, citrus and also soapy aroma. Above average mouthfeel. Hi IBU bomb,offset by some malting to make it drinkable. Very citrusy, tropical fruit pineapple with acid and tangy. Beerbistro Danish import.

Sammy, Apr 19, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +9.8%

Picked up a bottle from Green's on Buford in Atlanta.

Pours a hazy orange-copper color with a rocky two-finger off-white head. The head recedes slowly into a thin layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of raw, herbal hops with hints of pine and milder hints of grapefruit sneaking out from time to time.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Sweet malt flavors are soon overtaken by herbal hop flavors with hints of pine that come out midway through the sip. The ending has a solid bitterness.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness and moderate carbonation that makes this go down smoothly.

Drinkability is good. I had no problem finishing a bottle and could certainly drink a few more.

Overall this is a solid beer, and cheers to Mikkeller for doing something that I can't believe (at least to my knowledge) has been done before. Worth a shot.

glid02, Apr 17, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +16.5%

Original rating 4/6/09: Bottle. Pours a cloudy orange with a thick white head. Aroma of sweet citrus fruits. Flavor of bitter hop oils and some citrus and lemony hops in the finish. Quite tasty and similar to Simcoe, actually, perhaps with a little more hop bitterness (but maybe this is a fresher bottle?). In any case, very enjoyable!
8/4/8/4/15 (3.9/5)

Update 4/15/09: Had another bottle of this. Tasted a little fruitier to me in the initial sips, followed by hoppy bitterness, and orange rind and citrus in the finish. Almost a corn-like maltiness. Wow, this is just luscious! It's so delicious, I've got to up the rating!
8/4/9/5/17 (4.3/5)

LilBeerDoctor, Apr 15, 2009
3.7/5  rDev -1.6%

pours a clear orange with a very large mountainous light beige head, and very good lacing.

smell of caramel, pine, citrus, and grass.

taste is creamy, pine, hay, caramel, and nuts, ends is nicely bitter.

overall a nice IPA, well built and balanced.

froghop, Apr 11, 2009
3.75/5  rDev -0.3%

330mL bottle poured into a tulip.

Pours a slightly hazy caramel that shows brighter orange when held up to light. The head is a fluffy massive white cap that shows great retention and tons of lacing.

The aroma is dominated by citrus hops, light but slightly tart, especially lemons. There is a hint of some earthiness and some floral hops and very little in the way of malt.

The taste has the light citrus fruits up front but seems to have much more earthy tones than the aroma especially through the middle. The citrus comes back in the finish, with an astringent bitterness.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and highly carbonated with a dry, almost tart finish.

This is another interesting single hop brew from Mikkeller and, if nothing else, I'm definitely learning a bit more about the specific characteristics of each hop.

gford217, Apr 11, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +10.4%

A: Poured with a deep three finger head that provided thick lacing on the sides of the glass. The beer had a deep, very hazy copper orange appearance with thick chunks of sediment.
S: Pine and floral notes in the aroma with less citrus than the Mikkeller Simcoe.
T: The first taste reminded me of a fresh cut Christmas tree. The pine was most noticeable in the first few sips and became less dominant throughout the tasting as hints of yeast and grapefruit became more apparent. Excellent bitterness.
M: A medium bodied mouthfeel with good carbonation and a crisp dry finish and a lingering oiliness.
D: I found this beer to be very drinkable. The pine and citrus bitterness was well balanced and refreshing.

spratmi, Apr 05, 2009
3.38/5  rDev -10.1%

Hmm... I just didn't get this one... First of all, it was loaded with yeast chunks and was way too carbonated... A gentle pour produced one inch of beer and 4 inches of foam... Floral hop aromas are plentiful but seem a bit one dimensional...sweet floral hops on the taste...

Nope... just don't like it...

Tilley4, Apr 01, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +9.8%

I'll start out by saying that this is the 2nd Mikkeller Single Hop IPA I've had, the first being the Simcoe. I gave the Simcoe an A+ rating, so this had a lot to live up to.

Pours a bright copper with a ridiculously tall, frothy gold-white head. Fair amout of chunky sediment. Lots of lacing.

Scent is strong of hops, but different from the Simcoe in that this is more of a mandarin orange/grapefruit combination. There's also a bit of pine & yeast. Taste is citrusy hops. There's a nice bitter & sweet counteraction going on. The hoppy flavor is more subtle in this than the Simcoe. Mouthfeel is crisp, sticky.

This is a very drinkable IPA, but not quite as great as the Simcoe.

theghost3, Apr 01, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +11.2%

Reviewed 03/19/09

Poured from an 11.2oz bottle into a 16oz pint glass. Moderate pour evokes three fingers of white rocky head displays great staying power, and a thick sticky lace. Color is a deep clouded orange with plenty of suspended sediment.

Nose- Pine and resinous hops. Heavy sweet doughy undertones. Pear, apricot and some Belgian yeast. Very nice.

Palate- Spicy, pine resinous hops. Powerful bitter grapefruit. Sweetness comes through mid palate. Slightly bitter later in the palate, with prominent notes of pear and apricot in the finish. Very tasty.

Mouthfeel- Oily, mildly active.

Drinkability- Good but pricey