Nelson Sauvin Single Hop IPA - Mikkeller ApS

Nelson Sauvin Single Hop IPANelson Sauvin Single Hop IPA

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

Brewed at De Proef Brouwerij, Lochristi-Hijfte, Belgium.

Ingredients: Water, malts (pilsner, cara-crystal and munich), hops (nelson sauvin) and yeast.

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 03-14-2009)
2.73/5  rDev -32.1%

Poured a rather cloudy orange with two finger's of head which dissipated down to a nice thin lacing. Aroma has some strong citrus, but also that apple scent a beer gets when It's past it's prime. Taste has a strong upfront taste of citrus, grapefruit, and apple. After tasting it for a bit the sweet malts come through along with a vinegar flavor in the aftertaste. Bottle cap said 10/03/11, so I take it that's the best by date...meaning this beer is well past it's prime...

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

Nelson Sauvin. Never heard of you but I sure like your hops. Like the Simcoe and Warrior before it Mikkellers Nelson Sauvin single hop IPA is a winner. As the name suggests this beer is a showcase of the New Zealand born and bred Nelson Sauvin hop variety. Very herbal in the nose with a fair amount of grapefruit aroma as well. Smells great. Bitterness is agressive and the finish is dry. This hop reminds me of Chinook or Colombus. Dank, grapefruity and resinous. No attempt at balance, why would they? Tastes like it was brewed next door, yesterday. Very nice.

4.3/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this the other day while brewing. Poured a golden orange color with frothy head that left good lacing. Smelled of floral/citrus hops and caramel malt. Tasted almost exactly the same. Slightly fizzy and bitter. This was gone before I even got to boiling.

3.98/5  rDev -1%

11.2oz bottle poured into a goblet.

A hazy, juicy apricot orange and amber colored liquid with a huge head that fall into a thin bubbly layer.

The nose is a little weak until it warms. There's some carmel, sparkling grape juice. I'm also picking up on some grassy grapefruit. It's quite interesting and lovely.

The first gulp starts a little bitter with some hop spice, caramel, the sparkling grape juice, grapfruit, grass, so it pretty much follows the nose. It is unique and delicious. The finish is sweeter and a little dry.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with strong carbonation at first that bordered on spritzy, but dropped slowly.

I was very curious to try this beer due to the Nelson Sauvin hops and I wasn't let down much. I wish I grabbed this a few months ago because I'm sure it would've been much better, but the price tag is a little much which hurts the drinkability factor a bit. A must try if you can find it. I might have to grab some more.

3.78/5  rDev -6%

12oz bottle into my Allagash chalice. Cap marked "10/03/11".

Pours a hazy orange-amber with a luscious, bubbly head.

The nose is all tropical fruits and pineapple. Quite spicy with hints of citrus.

Extremely well balanced taste. Malts along with spicy, citric hops come through. It finishes with a dirty, funky bitterness that fades to leave citric and pine-needle flavors. Slightly resinous and not very astringent. The carbonation is a bit heavier than I'd like.

Overall, a great IPA; however, at $6.49 a bottle, it costs more than it's worth, so it might not be the first IPA I'd reach for.

A - Hazed ruby amber color with dense ivory head that beautifully coats the glass , hanging almost impossibly for a moment before melting away and leaving spotty chunks hanging about.

S - Citrus (tangerine), sweet grass, sauvignon blanc grapes, some mellow pine, and a whiff of cannabis all laying over a biscuity lightly caramelized canvas.

T - Maltiness comes through up front followed by a burst of juicy fruit (white grape, gooseberry, and citrus), with more tangerine with hints of white grapefruit and lemon, grass and green herbs. There is also a subdued yet pervasive spiciness of mint and pine blended with jalapeño. Quite wine-like in character with all of the fruitiness of the hops.

M - Creamy, medium feel with some stickiness. Finishes dry and lighter than expected, but pleasingly so.

D - A very nice drink for such a singularly focused brew, which just goes to show how well this beer is made. Solid, solid, solid all the way around. A very interesting study of this lesser-known New Zealand hop variety--a great showcase of its unique character. This is a hop variety that I hope other brewers will experiment with more in the future.

A: Huge off-white head. Dark wildflower honey colored with maybe a touch more brown. Slightly hazy.

S: bitter hops; wood; tropical fruit -mangoes, some citrus.

T: Hops, more wood; tropical fruits again. Bitter, piney. Pretty nice.

M: Light, smooth, some carbonation -unassuming to the point of being boring and, frankly, not very good.

O: Very interesting, especially since I will now be able to identify Nelson Sauvin hops in the future. Mouthfeel is disappointing. But on the whole I like it.

4.45/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - Hazy amber/golden color with a thick head that leaves a lot of lacing.

Smell - Passionfruit, citrus, tropical fruits and sweet malt.

Taste - Passionfruit, sweet malt, pineapple and a bitter finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium body with quite fitting carbonation.

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

4.1/5  rDev +2%

Poured into Allagash chalice

A - hazy, amber orange color, fingers worth of sandy white head, bit of lacing, head stays on top of beer throughout the drinking

S - surprising white wine maybe Riesling like, crushed green grapes, some dark fruits like blackberry

T - nice caramel back bone that transitions to dry bitter hop flavor that is very much in line with smell, with a little green apple flavor too

M - light bodied but not thin, good carbonation

D - flavor profile from these hops is pretty amazing, definitely something different comparative to other American style IPAs which are pretty redundant with their citrus smell, will be enjoying the other one I had very soon

3.9/5  rDev -3%

This was a nice, easy-on-you IPA that can bring some enjoyment to you on a Spring day. Poured a thick amber color. One of the cloudier pours I've seen recently. I didn't get much out of the aroma - certainly the hops were there, but nothing particularly noteworthy. The hops were there in good taste, not overpowering, but enough to linger on your pallet. I'll recommend it down the line for sure.

3.8/5  rDev -5.5%

I am reviewing from the aspect of a homebrewer, rather than a taster. I got this beer hoping that it would help me decide what to do with the Nelson Sauvin hops that I just ordered. I've never had them, so I am looking forward to this.

The beer is ruby orange colored, with a ton of head. It's almost entirely opaque. The nose is very interesting, I wasn't expecting this at all. More molasses, caramel and raisins for me. I even thought I picked up some tomato juice as well. (Not sure how old the bottle is). The taste is sweet, grapey, and has a nice dry finish. With the mild citrus flavor, this is really unlike any hop that I have tasted. This beer doesn't have the bitterness that IPA's generally have. The mouthfeel is slippery and medium bodied. Well-carbonated. I feel that this drinks more like a pale ale than an IPA.

Overall, a great hop with an interesting twist to the American hops that I am used to. Although very good, at 4.99 a bottle, I don't think I would get this again. I would be willing to try other single hop beers from them though.

As far as what I'm going to do with my stash of Nelson hops, I think I'll brew a pale ale.

3.93/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours a beautiful dark golden and cooper with a full one inch billowy head. Head is khaki, carbonation looks light and lacing is fantastic.

Nose points at a heavy malt backbone and reminds me of a DIPA/IIPA. Hops are floral and citrusy but balanced by undertones of sweet.

A nice balanced IPA taste with malts and body up front. Light bitter comes through but the brew finishes easy and smooth. Hops add a little spice and, perhaps, a little rind but citrus doesn't come through from the aroma as one would expect. Taste is simple but not overly impressive.

With a lower price and greater availability this could be a great session beer especially in a can. This is definitely a sit back and relax kind of IPA and lacks any true "in-your-face" characteristics.

4.7/5  rDev +16.9%

Reviewed from notes...

I was interested in trying all 10 of the Mikkeller Single Hop beers, so after I got my hands on a bottle of each, I tried one variation a night for 10 consecutive nights back in August. I really enjoyed examining the subtle differences that the different hops give the beers.

Pours an amber brown color with about a finger and a half of fluffy, off-white head that left a fair amount of lacing. I was greeted with a BLAST of citrus aromas...a lot of grapefruit, some lemon, and some mango. The taste is sweet at first, but not as sweet as I was expecting given the smell. The taste turns slightly piney, but it does not have the bitter edge that the Tomahawk had. Like the other Single Hop IPAs, it finishes dry. The Nelson Sauvin was a very smooth, refreshing, and drinkable IPA. One of my favorites from the Single Hop series.

4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

Wow, and I thought their Simcoe single hop was good. After having this and that together, I'm sold on Mikkeller's single hop line. As my bro said after we shared one of these beers, "there's something special, here," and that 'something' is almost certainly the way they applied the grape/grapefruit flavors here. I think the tastes of these medium-heavy fruits mix quite well with the caramel bits and the overarching hop itself. This beer's grassy/vinous notes, along with just the right sweetness, make it one to remember, or in the case of my bro, make it worth going back to the store to pick up two more singles (lest we forget).

3.98/5  rDev -1%

11.2 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass. Cap dated 10/03/11 (best by)

A- Pours a deep orange, especially deep for an IPA. The head is like nothing I have ever seen before: poured without much intensity, the glass is 90% head (insert "that's what she said" joke.) As it subsides, it leaves cavernous lacing with tunnels and riptide over hangs. Whole globs of foam remain around the rim, while some areas are free from lacing. Very unique.

S- Floral, apricots, slight sweetness (smells almost like honey), faint citrusy notes.

T- Similar to the smell, notes of white wine, a much more muted version of Alpine Nelson (the only other IPA I have sampled that utilizes the single hop Nelson Sauvin), biscuity malts.

MF- Definitely the low point of this otherwise solid IPA. Feels thin and just seems to disappear on the back of the palate. The smell and taste would have you believe a more substantial mouthfeel was in store.

D- Easy drinking. I enjoyed the taste a lot, but wish it had more in the MF department. It offers a more accessible introduction to the Nelson hop (which I think is one of the best and most unique varietals) than Alpine's, but is nowhere near as good.

3.93/5  rDev -2.2%

APPEARANCE: Poured from a bottle into a pint glass, this beer produced a mammoth frothy, off-white head of at least 4" -- probably a little more -- with excellent chunky lacing that persisted for about 5 minutes. Carbonation was very soft. Body color was a hazy deep amber color.

AROMA: Disappointing. Very little malt, medium citrus and grapefruit with a little pine thrown in. Maybe it's just my drippy nose, but I didn't get the kind of hit that most are reporting here.

TASTE: Better. A good malt backbone that keeps the hops from being overpowering. Tastes of citrus, grapefruit, orange, and a little bitter grass. Very nice overall.

MOUTHFEEL: Light to medium body, smooth on the tongue, with soft carbonation and excellent body lacing that doesn't seem to dissipate at all. Initial taste was a pleasant moderate biterness which faded a bit at the finish, however the medium length finish also produced a slight dryness as well with a slightly bitter aftertaste.

DRINKABILITY: This is a beer that I could drink more than one of. Definitely memorable and easy to drink. It's above average for an AIPA, no doubt about it, but the price to value ratio just isn't where it should be for a beer this expensive. If you're looking for a single hop AIPA, a better choice, in my opinion, would be Sixpoint's Spice of Life - Nelson Sauvin.

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

2.83/5  rDev -29.6%

Some good things, some bad things about this beer. This beer seemed very skunky. Do they sell Belgian beers made in America to people in Belgium? At first I thought, should I really review a skunky beer? Maybe I should give it another shot, but it is hard to get and I've got to assume that by now anywhere I get it could have the chance of being skunky.

Appearance was great with a huge bubbly head, great color, active carbonation. Smell was very spicy with grapefruit. Taste had a skunk that worked it's way up the back of the nose. Had some grapefruit taste with a decent balance. It was well overcarbonated for the style.

Sorry to disagree with the majority but I thought it was a poor attempt at an American IPA.

Nelson Sauvin Single Hop IPA from Mikkeller ApS