Nelson Sauvin Single Hop IPA - Mikkeller ApS

Nelson Sauvin Single Hop IPANelson Sauvin Single Hop IPA

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

Brewed at De Proef Brouwerij, Lochristi-Hijfte, Belgium.

Ingredients: Water, malts (pilsner, cara-crystal and munich), hops (nelson sauvin) and yeast.

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 03-14-2009)
View: Beers (276) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
IMincedTheKing

3.78/5  rDev -5.7%

12oz bottle into my Allagash chalice. Cap marked "10/03/11".

Pours a hazy orange-amber with a luscious, bubbly head.

The nose is all tropical fruits and pineapple. Quite spicy with hints of citrus.

Extremely well balanced taste. Malts along with spicy, citric hops come through. It finishes with a dirty, funky bitterness that fades to leave citric and pine-needle flavors. Slightly resinous and not very astringent. The carbonation is a bit heavier than I'd like.

Overall, a great IPA; however, at $6.49 a bottle, it costs more than it's worth, so it might not be the first IPA I'd reach for.

06-14-2009 06:27:29 | More by IMincedTheKing
JTahoe

Oregon

A - Hazed ruby amber color with dense ivory head that beautifully coats the glass , hanging almost impossibly for a moment before melting away and leaving spotty chunks hanging about.

S - Citrus (tangerine), sweet grass, sauvignon blanc grapes, some mellow pine, and a whiff of cannabis all laying over a biscuity lightly caramelized canvas.

T - Maltiness comes through up front followed by a burst of juicy fruit (white grape, gooseberry, and citrus), with more tangerine with hints of white grapefruit and lemon, grass and green herbs. There is also a subdued yet pervasive spiciness of mint and pine blended with jalapeño. Quite wine-like in character with all of the fruitiness of the hops.

M - Creamy, medium feel with some stickiness. Finishes dry and lighter than expected, but pleasingly so.

D - A very nice drink for such a singularly focused brew, which just goes to show how well this beer is made. Solid, solid, solid all the way around. A very interesting study of this lesser-known New Zealand hop variety--a great showcase of its unique character. This is a hop variety that I hope other brewers will experiment with more in the future.

07-11-2010 21:14:42 | More by JTahoe
Meerkey

A: Huge off-white head. Dark wildflower honey colored with maybe a touch more brown. Slightly hazy.

S: bitter hops; wood; tropical fruit -mangoes, some citrus.

T: Hops, more wood; tropical fruits again. Bitter, piney. Pretty nice.

M: Light, smooth, some carbonation -unassuming to the point of being boring and, frankly, not very good.

O: Very interesting, especially since I will now be able to identify Nelson Sauvin hops in the future. Mouthfeel is disappointing. But on the whole I like it.

07-25-2011 21:36:19 | More by Meerkey
Asgeirr

Svalbard & Jan Mayen Islands

01-16-2014 07:28:11 | More by Asgeirr
OskarL

Sweden

4.45/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - Hazy amber/golden color with a thick head that leaves a lot of lacing.

Smell - Passionfruit, citrus, tropical fruits and sweet malt.

Taste - Passionfruit, sweet malt, pineapple and a bitter finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium body with quite fitting carbonation.

03-26-2010 04:35:08 | More by OskarL
rhhjr

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

02-21-2012 16:05:18 | More by rhhjr
wchesak

South Carolina

4.1/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured into Allagash chalice

A - hazy, amber orange color, fingers worth of sandy white head, bit of lacing, head stays on top of beer throughout the drinking

S - surprising white wine maybe Riesling like, crushed green grapes, some dark fruits like blackberry

T - nice caramel back bone that transitions to dry bitter hop flavor that is very much in line with smell, with a little green apple flavor too

M - light bodied but not thin, good carbonation

D - flavor profile from these hops is pretty amazing, definitely something different comparative to other American style IPAs which are pretty redundant with their citrus smell, will be enjoying the other one I had very soon

05-14-2010 01:42:27 | More by wchesak
andrewm190

3.9/5  rDev -2.7%

This was a nice, easy-on-you IPA that can bring some enjoyment to you on a Spring day. Poured a thick amber color. One of the cloudier pours I've seen recently. I didn't get much out of the aroma - certainly the hops were there, but nothing particularly noteworthy. The hops were there in good taste, not overpowering, but enough to linger on your pallet. I'll recommend it down the line for sure.

04-17-2011 22:42:10 | More by andrewm190
33nickadams

3.8/5  rDev -5.2%

I am reviewing from the aspect of a homebrewer, rather than a taster. I got this beer hoping that it would help me decide what to do with the Nelson Sauvin hops that I just ordered. I've never had them, so I am looking forward to this.

The beer is ruby orange colored, with a ton of head. It's almost entirely opaque. The nose is very interesting, I wasn't expecting this at all. More molasses, caramel and raisins for me. I even thought I picked up some tomato juice as well. (Not sure how old the bottle is). The taste is sweet, grapey, and has a nice dry finish. With the mild citrus flavor, this is really unlike any hop that I have tasted. This beer doesn't have the bitterness that IPA's generally have. The mouthfeel is slippery and medium bodied. Well-carbonated. I feel that this drinks more like a pale ale than an IPA.

Overall, a great hop with an interesting twist to the American hops that I am used to. Although very good, at 4.99 a bottle, I don't think I would get this again. I would be willing to try other single hop beers from them though.

As far as what I'm going to do with my stash of Nelson hops, I think I'll brew a pale ale.

08-17-2011 01:13:43 | More by 33nickadams
seedsofchaos

3.93/5  rDev -2%

Pours a beautiful dark golden and cooper with a full one inch billowy head. Head is khaki, carbonation looks light and lacing is fantastic.

Nose points at a heavy malt backbone and reminds me of a DIPA/IIPA. Hops are floral and citrusy but balanced by undertones of sweet.

A nice balanced IPA taste with malts and body up front. Light bitter comes through but the brew finishes easy and smooth. Hops add a little spice and, perhaps, a little rind but citrus doesn't come through from the aroma as one would expect. Taste is simple but not overly impressive.

With a lower price and greater availability this could be a great session beer especially in a can. This is definitely a sit back and relax kind of IPA and lacks any true "in-your-face" characteristics.

10-13-2010 00:05:39 | More by seedsofchaos
ratedz

Kansas

4.7/5  rDev +17.2%

Reviewed from notes...

I was interested in trying all 10 of the Mikkeller Single Hop beers, so after I got my hands on a bottle of each, I tried one variation a night for 10 consecutive nights back in August. I really enjoyed examining the subtle differences that the different hops give the beers.

Pours an amber brown color with about a finger and a half of fluffy, off-white head that left a fair amount of lacing. I was greeted with a BLAST of citrus aromas...a lot of grapefruit, some lemon, and some mango. The taste is sweet at first, but not as sweet as I was expecting given the smell. The taste turns slightly piney, but it does not have the bitter edge that the Tomahawk had. Like the other Single Hop IPAs, it finishes dry. The Nelson Sauvin was a very smooth, refreshing, and drinkable IPA. One of my favorites from the Single Hop series.

10-29-2010 22:31:48 | More by ratedz
petacutlasaurus

4.33/5  rDev +8%

Wow, and I thought their Simcoe single hop was good. After having this and that together, I'm sold on Mikkeller's single hop line. As my bro said after we shared one of these beers, "there's something special, here," and that 'something' is almost certainly the way they applied the grape/grapefruit flavors here. I think the tastes of these medium-heavy fruits mix quite well with the caramel bits and the overarching hop itself. This beer's grassy/vinous notes, along with just the right sweetness, make it one to remember, or in the case of my bro, make it worth going back to the store to pick up two more singles (lest we forget).

03-27-2011 22:06:45 | More by petacutlasaurus
mbudner

3.98/5  rDev -0.7%

11.2 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass. Cap dated 10/03/11 (best by)

A- Pours a deep orange, especially deep for an IPA. The head is like nothing I have ever seen before: poured without much intensity, the glass is 90% head (insert "that's what she said" joke.) As it subsides, it leaves cavernous lacing with tunnels and riptide over hangs. Whole globs of foam remain around the rim, while some areas are free from lacing. Very unique.

S- Floral, apricots, slight sweetness (smells almost like honey), faint citrusy notes.

T- Similar to the smell, notes of white wine, a much more muted version of Alpine Nelson (the only other IPA I have sampled that utilizes the single hop Nelson Sauvin), biscuity malts.

MF- Definitely the low point of this otherwise solid IPA. Feels thin and just seems to disappear on the back of the palate. The smell and taste would have you believe a more substantial mouthfeel was in store.

D- Easy drinking. I enjoyed the taste a lot, but wish it had more in the MF department. It offers a more accessible introduction to the Nelson hop (which I think is one of the best and most unique varietals) than Alpine's, but is nowhere near as good.

03-17-2010 03:25:00 | More by mbudner
paulginva

3.93/5  rDev -2%

APPEARANCE: Poured from a bottle into a pint glass, this beer produced a mammoth frothy, off-white head of at least 4" -- probably a little more -- with excellent chunky lacing that persisted for about 5 minutes. Carbonation was very soft. Body color was a hazy deep amber color.

AROMA: Disappointing. Very little malt, medium citrus and grapefruit with a little pine thrown in. Maybe it's just my drippy nose, but I didn't get the kind of hit that most are reporting here.

TASTE: Better. A good malt backbone that keeps the hops from being overpowering. Tastes of citrus, grapefruit, orange, and a little bitter grass. Very nice overall.

MOUTHFEEL: Light to medium body, smooth on the tongue, with soft carbonation and excellent body lacing that doesn't seem to dissipate at all. Initial taste was a pleasant moderate biterness which faded a bit at the finish, however the medium length finish also produced a slight dryness as well with a slightly bitter aftertaste.

DRINKABILITY: This is a beer that I could drink more than one of. Definitely memorable and easy to drink. It's above average for an AIPA, no doubt about it, but the price to value ratio just isn't where it should be for a beer this expensive. If you're looking for a single hop AIPA, a better choice, in my opinion, would be Sixpoint's Spice of Life - Nelson Sauvin.

12-06-2011 17:23:23 | More by paulginva

03-07-2014 11:01:23 | More by jondavidsson
KCHopHead

Missouri

2.83/5  rDev -29.4%

Some good things, some bad things about this beer. This beer seemed very skunky. Do they sell Belgian beers made in America to people in Belgium? At first I thought, should I really review a skunky beer? Maybe I should give it another shot, but it is hard to get and I've got to assume that by now anywhere I get it could have the chance of being skunky.

Appearance was great with a huge bubbly head, great color, active carbonation. Smell was very spicy with grapefruit. Taste had a skunk that worked it's way up the back of the nose. Had some grapefruit taste with a decent balance. It was well overcarbonated for the style.

Sorry to disagree with the majority but I thought it was a poor attempt at an American IPA.

08-05-2009 13:47:52 | More by KCHopHead
MaxT

Wisconsin

07-28-2013 04:29:24 | More by MaxT
cwps48

05-16-2013 04:24:19 | More by cwps48
nniicckkww

4.4/5  rDev +9.7%

Poured into a snifter from a 12 oz. bottle. Slight head that remained for over a minute. Nice lacing. Pretty white head. Slightly hazy amber.

Tangerine, citrus aroma. Lot's of citrus and tropical fruit. Very complex hop flavor. Peach. Lemon. Lime. Tangerine. Slight malt backbone makes the hop flavor stick around. Not cloyingly sweet. I hate malt bombs, but this beer has just enough. Any more and it would detract from the amazing hop flavor.

I wonder how fresh this beer is. I love it. What a great (unusual) hop. I could have two. It's damn expensive, but worth it every now and then. I love the nelson sauvin hop. My first offering from Mikkeller. I will seek them out more often and hopefully not break the bank. YUM.

03-14-2011 14:05:53 | More by nniicckkww
dzni

3.68/5  rDev -8.2%

A - Cloudy dark golden, nice head
S - Citrus, hop, strawberry??, a spicy-sweet note
T - Slight citrus, good amount of hops but not overly bitter. I didn't get many other discernible flavors
M - Medium-bodied, almost creamy texture, low carbonation
D - Certainly a nice beer that I'd drink again, but I didn't get all the flavors that would presumably make this an amazing beer.

09-12-2010 02:36:40 | More by dzni
berebrando

4.05/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Kevin and I sampled this beer after collecting all ten (simcoe, cascade, warrior, nelson, nugget, amarillo, tomahawk, chinook and centennial). We sampled them, one after the other, to compare the hop varietals. These notes are primarily focused on the hop flavors of each beer and should be used in comparison to one another. This review is one in a series of 10... and then there is "10".

Top of bottle: 10-03(?)-11(?)
Date of tasting: 10-16-10

Hop notes:
Kevin: biscuits, citrus sweet grapefruit balance, yeasty with bit-o-rot
Brandon: grapefruit pith/skin, piney nose, hoppy bittersweet finish

Conversation: KR/FS found a trailer on ebay, kevin is very rough on the pen.

10-17-2010 21:05:22 | More by berebrando
coryking

Missouri

4.22/5  rDev +5.2%

Enjoyed at the International Tap House Mikkeller Single Hop night.

Recipe from Mikkeller:

6.9% ABV
67% Pilsner, 11% Cara, 11% Munich II, 11% Oats
Hop additions were at 60 minutes, 15 minutes, whirlpool, then dry hopped for 100 IBUs.
1056 yeast
Started at 1.063, finished at 1.010

Since the malt in all of these beers are the same, Im going to focus just on the hops...

My first experience with this hop. I really like its uniqueness!! Being a wine salesman, Im really familiar with the region that these hops are grown, and its amazing how many characteristics these hops share with the grapes grown in the same region!

Great fruity grape, S. Blanc like, aroma. Wine like sweetness from the hops. Low bitterness, high sweet/fruitiness. Very unique and I think I like it!

05-28-2010 15:24:34 | More by coryking