Funky E Star - Mikkeller ApS

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  9.39% ABV

Availability: Spring

Water, malts, light candy, hops, yeast and brettanomyces.

(Beer added by: koopa on 06-15-2009)

bmf0, Dec 20, 2012
1.25/5  rDev -65.8%

brez8791, Sep 07, 2012
1.78/5  rDev -51.4%

11.2oz bottle from Argonaut in Denver. Not sure on the price as I picked this up at least a year a go. Into a NB Globe. Happy Easter!

A: Hazy amber in color with a dense white light tan head, about half an inch thick that doesn't want to fade away. Huge spots of lacing are left behind. Not bad.

S: Very cidery, no noticeable brett notes, and slightly odd smelling. Has some definite notes of chewing tobacco, which is not appealing to me at all. Yikes, this isn't shaping up very well. As it continues to warm it takes on a definite bandaid aroma, and not in a good way.

T: Chewing tobacco flavor and apple cider compine with a slightly astringent hop bitterness. Slightly malty, with a bit of caramel in there. Slightly funky, but really more cidery. Not good. Apple cider ran through a chewing tobacco and bandaid filter is not tasty.

M: Thin, and highly carbonated, finish is surprisingly sweet.

O: Not a good beer at all. Something went horribly wrong with this one. I do not like the overly bandaid/chewing tobacco flavor that lingers and will not disappear. Very disappointed in this one, sad that I saved it for a year.

pokesbeerdude, Apr 08, 2012

denimdemon, Aug 04, 2012
2.05/5  rDev -44%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

Thanks to Pete for opening this one up. 750mL brown glass plastic-corked bottle.

Quick review: Nose is immediately off-putting to me (though not to others in the room). Smells to me like those plastic-y stiff bandaids or adhesive. Fruity, I suppose, but unpleasant. Someone commented that it's from "higher alcohols" and is usually considered a flaw. Body is medium-light with some medium caramel malt and a little Belgian pale candi sugar notes. Finish is short and watery and the carbonation level is definitely low.

Couldn't drink it. Don't know if it was an off bottle, but really atrocious.

SFLpunk, Mar 02, 2011
2.15/5  rDev -41.3%

Appearance:

Tonight I reached for a new glass in my cabinet, a large plain whiskey snifter that I found at a yard sale for only $1. Who said your glasses need to be expensive and from a brewery? I pulled the large bottle out of the fridge and unwrapped the sliver foil of the neck and proceeded to pull out the stubborn plastic cork. After wrangling the cork out I was let down to not hear any pop or hissing noise at all. On the pour I decided to hit this straight on and see what kind of head I could pull out and it actually began to rise quickly and then it went away just as quick. In my glass it appears to be a burnt orange color with some red hues and haze all over making it almost appear murky and dreary. As I give a final swirl there really is no lacing to mention of and this appears to be pretty thin.

Smell:

In the aroma I am pulling out loads of flowery perfume, caramel oxidation with some lemons and sugary candy thrown in. I also am pulling out some grassy undertones complimented by raisins and tropical fruit. For having brett this beer really shows no sign of tartness or funky sourness typical in most sour beers.

Taste:

Hmm, up front there are massive amounts of caramel sweetness, and some earthy spicy hops that remind me of tree moss and planting soil. There is a huge array of flavors missing here. Again, no brett to speak of, no sourness, or funk to compliment the Belgian Pale Ale backbone. In the finish I can pull out plastic and something that really leaves me with a bland taste in my mouth almost astringent and like black tea. Overall, I am going to take a shot in the dark and say that this beer might have been stored improperly because my taste are not anything close to some of the other reviews out there.

Drinkability:

This will be another beer that I want to try again because I think my experience was untypical. Although I do feel like regardless of the storage the wild sour yeasts should have poked through creating some form of sourness but I guess I was wrong.

Bmoyer0301, Oct 18, 2010
2.25/5  rDev -38.5%

Public87strain, Jun 15, 2012
2.35/5  rDev -35.8%

750mL to snifter. $16 for the bottle. Best by date of 16/1/14, sampled 7/18/11.

Psychedelic label. White bunnies with a CMYK-colored fractal in the background. Synthetic cork and cage. This beer was brewed and bottled at De Proef.

A: One finger khaki colored head, quick to diminish. Murky body with a rustic orange color. Spare lacing.

S: Floral with a wet woodsy, resiny aroma. Cereal and grain. Age seems have brought about light notes of toffee and caramel.

T: The nose gave some hope to this beer. Unfortunately, there were no redeeming qualities to be had on the palate. Kind of a mess flavorwise.

M: Light body, slick texture with a soft, fizzy effervescence. Light wild yeast influence. Drinks closer to a 6.5% than the advertised 9.4%.

O: I kind of wish that Mikkeller didn't brew ANY good beers. At all. And I also wish that they would cut it out with their slick brand recognition and catchy label design. That way I wouldn't feel compelled to try *every *single *one that I see, hoping that it will be as good as, you know "that one that I had a really long time ago." Anyway...I'm batting like .200 with these guys.

FeDUBBELFIST, Oct 30, 2011
2.73/5  rDev -25.4%

Poured form a 11.2 oz bottle. No vintage date.

App- Copper with a lacy cream head that clings to the glass.

Sm- Mostly booze. There are some citrusy hops and the slightest medical brett presence. If you are going to call your beer funky star, it should be funky; this is not.

Ta- Big blows of sweet belgian candi mixed with tropical fruits. Kiwi pineapple and lemon from the hops, bit a biting bitter hop tang mid-palette. There is some band-aid-y brett presence but pretty minimal. Some belgian yeast phenols. The booze that was so present in the nose takes a back seat.

Ov- Another miss by MIkkeller. There are aspects that are intriguing but to put this ridiculous level of hops with candi sugar, a bruiser ABV and brett? It's like dumping jalapenos on a raspberry chocolate torte. If you happen to purchase one of these, sit on it for 3 years in hopes that the hops fade and brett blossoms. If you haven't purchased it, don't. In addition, I know I already said it, but if you are going to name your beer Funky Star, it needs to be funky. I'm talking sweaty pedio barnyard funk! Not this uber-tame Orval-level of funkness.

gueuzer, Sep 27, 2011

AlexChillton, Nov 29, 2011

rostencrantz, Nov 20, 2014

Halluxone, Oct 10, 2013

chippo33, Dec 21, 2012

jaimenavarrog, Feb 11, 2013
2.88/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I had this on-tap at Max's, poured into a goblet.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy dark amber with a finger and a half of off white head that leaves a layer.

Smell: Very perfume like, quite herbal and sweet with some dark fruit notes and a very mild tartness.

Taste: Follows from the smell. Quite sweet with some caramel and dark fruit notes. Again, perfume like. The finish is quite sweet.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with very mild carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I thought this one was way too sweet. It took over everything else. Not my favorite.

oline73, Jul 14, 2011
2.88/5  rDev -21.3%

A: Deep red, lovely fluffy white head that lasts forever. Decent clarity, nice looking beer.

S: An impressive wallop of dank earthy brett character is about the only thing I can smell on this beer. Its nice for an ounce or two, but the simplicity of this is its downfall I think.

T: Mimics the nose with a mushroomy, earthy kind of medicinal quality to the whole thing. Not an especially enjoyable flavor by itself.

M: Very creamy, fairly light on the palate. The head and carbonation last forever.

A big brett bomb from mehkeller, a bit too one dimensional to be anything more than vaguely interesting.

mattsander, Aug 22, 2012