1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Barrel Aged Smoke A Ciggy - Mikkeller ApS

Barrel Aged Smoke A CiggyBarrel Aged Smoke A Ciggy

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

Rauchbier |  11.50% ABV

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 07-13-2009)
View: Beers (228) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 5 | Reviews: 4 | Show All Ratings:
Sean9689

4.43/5  rDev -0.9%

Little guy bottle...cute. Split with Jason & Kan.

A - Pours a brownish red color, cream head, thin ring, and some whisps on top to round things out.

S - Huge smokey goodness, bacon, oak, burnt sugars, dark fruit. Lots going on here, all in a good way. Smells like dinner with some extra courses in there too.

T - Big smoke, dark fruit, bacon, oak, red wine, and a nice chocolate finish. Wow, nice sweetness, smoke, great finish...what more can you ask for here? Very complex.

M - Medium, good carbonation, creamy finish, very rich.

O - Wow, I wasn't expecting all to much with this beer and it blew me out of the water. Really enjoyed the big smoke, sweetness, and dark fruits. Very complex...yum! Recommend.

08-16-2011 18:27:37 | More by Sean9689
mikey711

4.7/5  rDev +5.1%

This is one beer that I am so happy that I had the chance to had. Shared With Beerloco and Mrs. Beerloco over the weekend so this one is from notes

A: Dark caramel color with a decent sized white head that forms on top. Lacing is very good and the head holds well enough. Side note, some of the yeast was left in the bottle and it looked like a ciggarette ash that was put into a almost empty beer

S: If you like smoked beers this is were it is at. Smoked gouda cheese hits first, also a very nice campfire smoke aroma. The wood characteristic is very nice and aside from the smokiness and tannins there is a great caramel note that comes through to balance this out with sweetness.

T: The taste is very much like the smell with the gouda cheese note, campfire wood, oaky vanilla and a great sweetness from the caramel malt to balance it out. This is one of the most interesting and best tasting beers I have ever enjoyed regardless of style.

M: There wasnt much heat on this one which was nice and the smokiness was not overwhelming in any sense. The body of the beer was good and there was some creaminess.

D: I wish i had more of this beer. If you dont enjoy smoked beers then there is no need to try to but I will forever remember the opportunity to try this rarity and would gladly drink it again.

01-11-2010 23:52:14 | More by mikey711
kappldav123

Germany

4.55/5  rDev +1.8%

The bottle looks really good, the beer in the glass also. Nice head, modest turbid. The beer starts strong-malty, also very smoky, notes of bacon, raisins and plums. A bit yeasty. Well balanced, warming finish, a little bit alcoholic. Very good! Thanks yespr for this bottle!

07-26-2009 12:12:32 | More by kappldav123
MasterSki

3.68/5  rDev -17.7%

Another peculiar one-off from the awesome bosse. Shared with Dave and my wife while waiting for the train after having dinner with Urbain from Struise. Served in a St. Sixtus chalice (as it was all we had).

A - Finger of blonde-ish foam that left a big cap and tons of sticky lacing. Murky brown raisin color that I didn't really dig all that much.

S - Oak barrel, roasted malts, and an absolutely ridiculous amount of smoke, campfire, cottage fireplace, and ashtray. The name is pretty appropriate. Like the Islay Cask Stout, I'm not sure if I'd even recognize the base beer if I got to smell it. Still, the collection of smells blend nicely and the aroma just leaps out of the glass.

T - The taste is a lot sweeter, with some dark fruit and chocolate malts coming out a bit more and the oak/wood flavors getting pushed to the periphery. Still a ridiculous amount of smokiness, with an aftertaste that was still with me hours after I finished trying this beer. Not as complex as the aroma.

M - Super sticky, moderate carbonation, lots of residual woodiness and smokiness. Medium bodied, which might be too little for such a high ABV and complex beer.

D - While on the positive side, I can strongly assert that I couldn't taste the booze, the idea of drinking a cigarette flavored beer isn't what I equate with drinkability. In my notes on this beer I just wrote "Umm, no..." for this section. I would have finished the 250ml bottle, but that is plenty of this peculiar experimental beer in my lifetime.

07-13-2009 06:30:49 | More by MasterSki
Barrel Aged Smoke A Ciggy from Mikkeller ApS
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.