I Beat YoU - Mikkeller ApS

I Beat YoUI Beat YoU

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

Beer added by: bark on 11-18-2009

Heavily hopped with Herkules, Centennial, Warrior, Amarillo, Simcoe and Columbus.

Brewed at BrewDog, Scotland.
« first ‹ prev | 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next › last »
Ratings: 398 | Reviews: 169
4.05/5  rDev +4.4%

A: Pours a translucent orange with some dark amber highlights, capped by a two finger off white head. Retention is good once the head settles down to about one finger, and leaves some light lacing down the glass.

S: Citrus comes up first with some dry-ish grapefruit and orange, followed by strong earthy notes, some moderate pine and floral hops, and some very light pineapple hops.

T: Piney and earthy hops take a dominant role up front, along with some herbal notes. Citrus comes in mid-palate with grapefruit and orange, along with some floral notes, before returning to a piney resin for the finish. Very little malt presence.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation, feels remarkably light on the tongue for such a big beer.

D: Reasonably easy drinking, but the bitterness and alcohol content definitely keep this from being quaffable.

3.93/5  rDev +1.3%

A - one finger head caps a slightly cloudy copper beer. The head is gone as soon as it arrives, leaving a thin layer. Leaves slight chunky lacing.

S - Hops! Citrus, pine, maybe a bit of pineapple. There's also a bit of bitter smell. Something about this smell is funky. I can't quite grasp it. I'm letting it warm up a bit to get rid of the 'funk', but it won't release its grasp. Not a good funk I must say.

T - I get hop bitterness up front, with some notes of citrus, and pineapple. A bit of pine seems to mix with the malt in this beer. I dare say the 'funky' smell may be coming from the malts here. It seems like it's caught between a West coast IPA and an East Coast IPA. By no means bad, but there's something wrong here!

M - Pretty light in this area, for clocking in at a solid 9.75%, I must say this is quite the feat. The carbonation is made of small crisp bubbles that bite the tongue a little bit, but not in a bad way.

D - After one of these I'd be done 9.75 is a hefty beer. But if you want to know how many of these I could drink without being drunk, I could probably put back 2 at most. Something about this malty funkiness going on here....

Overall: it's worth trying if you see it around. Decide for yourself, I might give it another try down the road. For right now, this falls short of the elite level of IIPAs

3.77/5  rDev -2.8%

Consumed 6/14/2010, reviewed from notes.

Pours a deep copper color, nice clarity, with a 1.5 cm head on top, composed of loose bubbles that stick around for a liittle bit. The smell is just like pure pungent hops and resin. I'm reaching to pull out some of the subtler fruity notes that some of these hops can have. I get a lot of oniony, herbal smells. But a little sweet orange peeks through. The bitterness is held surprisingly in check, by the maltiness I suppose, but I don't detect much in the way of malt. There's a sharp floral note, like breating in the pollenated spring air, backed up with a huge sticky resinous wash over in the end. I can also get some lemon, more subtle citrus fruit, mixed in with a bit of grassiness. The body is nice, it has that sticky dryness I like, with a good bite of carbonation. This beer is pretty good, though I imagine that it's probably lost something even by this point (I'm guessing it's a one-off). The pungent hops win, but still it doesn't swing the way of GUBNA. I think it's an alright beer in a heavy-hitting style.

4.05/5  rDev +4.4%

Appearance: pours a clear dark orange color with a 2" head that falls to a thick surface foam.

Smell: pine and grapefruit are easily detectable with some softer caramel in the background.

Taste: caramel, big grapefruit flavors, mellower pine notes, some alcohol tones, and some fruit sweetness that arrives late. Malt profile is somewhat grainy.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied. Crisp to start, less crisp and dry at the finish. Flavors last long on the tongue after swallowing.

Drinkability: despite the higher alcohol levels this beer went down rather easily. Interestingly named beer, and well worth finding a bottle of this to try.

3.53/5  rDev -9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to sckressler for this...
Appears a orange toned amber with a small head of white fluff that slowly fades into a small cap. Tiny bits of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of floral notes with pine resin, grapefruit, and citrus.
Taste is of teh aromas with a little bit of sweet malt in the form of freshly cracked grain, pineapple, and gummy pale malt.
Mouthfeel is medium-full bodied, resinous, with a lip smacking sweetness in the finish.

4.15/5  rDev +7%

Bottle purchased at Oaktree Buyrite in South Plainfield NJ.

Appearance: Pours an attractive caramel orange/brown (light colored iced tea) with a 2 finger khaki crown that shows moderate retention and good lace.

Smell: Nice bouquet of caramel malt, resinous hops, and floral hops. Well balanced.

Taste: Same as nose. Very well balanced.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: Medium bodied, a touch syrupy but with enough carbonation to make it fairly sessionable. I liked this one very much..even more than the 1000 IBU.

A: Poured from a bottle to a tulip glass. Had an orange color and a slightly hazy consistency. There was an inch of foamy, fairly long-lasting head. Good lacing.

S: Smelled of citrus, lots of hops, and an almost piney quality.

T: Tasted of grapefruit, several types of hops, and pine. Nicely balanced, but doesn't have quite the power of an American West Coast Imperial IPA.

M: A nice amount of carbonation with a slick finish. Medium-bodied.

D: A solid, drinkable European take on an American double.

4.37/5  rDev +12.6%

Great maltier DIPA from Mikkeller. This is closer to 1000 IBU territory for Mikkeller and succeeds in much the same manner. It doesn't seem quite as thick and malty as that beer, but it's close. There's a ton of hop aroma. Tropical fruits abound with papaya, mango and pineapple notes cropping up. There's also tangerine, a bit of pine needles, a floral touch and cannabis. Caramel malt is present but still in a supporting role. A touch of paint thinner/solvent presence particularly in the flavor. I can taste a fair bit of malt sweetness, but it's still a rather bitter beer, even if it's not trying to melt your tongue off. Good mouthfeel - hop oils coat the palate pleasantly. The beer fades as it sits, so drink up.

4.05/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured from an 11.2oz bottle into a Mikkeller tulip.

A: Pours a clear and dark, coppery gold color. Sitting on top is no more than 1/2 finger of light tan head. Retention was fleeting (quickly leaving just a thin bubbly ring). A few spotty tendrils of lace were left behind.

S: Pretty classic ADIPA aromas. Loads of pine, some citrus and tropical fruit, and a dash of caramel for balance.

T: Just as above. Pretty unbalanced in the "piney" department. Citrus and tropical fruit definitely take a backseat to the pine.

M: I think this is where this beer shines. Sticky resinous hops collide with a sweet and ample malt backbone. Tons of spicy hop oils leave a prickly smear all over my tongue. Hardly a trace of alc.

D: Excellent DIPA, but my one tweak would be a little more tropical fruit in the mix. I feel that it would round things out nicely. I was amazed that this was packing an ABV of 9.75%. There was virtually no trace of any heat in there.

3.65/5  rDev -5.9%

Pours with a nice deep amber color with just a bit of foam. Aroma is intense with notes of malt, caramel, and hops. Flavor is similar but every element is much more intense and amped up. The bitterness comes through almost overwhelmingly nearly washing out the other flavors.

its a good beer, glad I tried it, but the bitterness in the finish takes a bit of the enjoyment out for me...

3.13/5  rDev -19.3%

Let me say up front that I am a huge fan of "unbalanced" IPAs. I love hops and the kind of west coast beers that fans of DFH 90min don't like. That said, this thing is insane. Pours a clear brown/orange with a fluffy white head. Smell is really hardcore dank and booze. Taste at first actually was a let down, as it seemed a bit hollow, then after some warming was REALLLY bitter. Not hoppy, but BITTER. The IBUs are for real here. And in an unpleasant way. A comparable beer is Barley Brown's Tankslapper but that has more HOP flavor and drinkability. This is just a crazy chemistry experiment. Done after about 5oz. Glad I tried it.

3.88/5  rDev 0%

11.2oz. bottle served into a tulip glass
Brewed at Brewdog and, typical for Mikkeller, expensive for the size of bottle. Here goes...

The body pours out as that archetypal Double/Imperial IPA color - bronzed, honeyed orange. The head poured out substantially; three fingers or so. I love the color of the head. It is pretty much beige, a level of brown not commonly seen on a IIPA, seen on top of a honeyed orange body. The lacing is voluminous - it sticks to the glass in swaths and even has a textural thickness to it.

This is a solid IIPA in terms of aroma. It does not amaze at any point but does its job effectively. Lots of grassy, bitter hops; much more grassiness than I expect from a beer labeled as an "American Style Imperial India Pale Ale." Grapefruit rind, lemon zest, trace amounts of pineapple and an herbal quality (cilantro?) make up the bulk of the lupulin hop flavors. It has the sharpness of perfume. The malt is light but caramelly in nature. This sort of reminds me of Mikkeller's 1000 IBU but with a lot less maltiness. Which, of course, is a good thing.

The taste is like the nose in that it is clearly pretty good but falls short of being really impressive. I feel like there should be more going on but at the same time I can't fault it for being simply super-solid. Some IIPAs are citrus-bombs. I Beat yoU is not one of them. Loads of floral, leafy, and especially piny hops. The caramel malt stands its ground admirably (some would say it stands too tall). There is a bitter herbaciousness that I am unused to tasting in beer; I am attributing it to the Herkules hop varietal, which I have not tasted before this beer.

I LOVE a thin mouthfeel in IIPAs. The thinner the better for me; it carries those hop flavors forward without accentuating the heavy amounts of malt that are present in IIPAs. Mikkeller I Beat yoU has a very thin body. The only thing holding it back it a nearly complete lack of perceptible carbonation. The mouthfeel goes a long way towards making a drinkable beer. It is nearly 105 ABV, sure, but this beer goes down fast.

This is a darn good IIPA. Would I buy it again at $6 for a 11.2oz. bottle? Probably not. Like most Mikkeller product I am not blown away and miffed about the price but am glad to have tried the beer anyway.

3.58/5  rDev -7.7%

A: Deep orange/amber color with a nice fluffy off white head, Sine rising carbonation and decent lacing. Pretty good clarity as well

S: The initial smell is of heavy pine and heavy floral notes. Some lighter grassy notes and a touch of grapefruit (but not much at all) These is also quite a bit of sweetness present as well

T: Pine and grapefruit bitterness upfront. A mild floralness is noticeable along with some sweetness in the finish.

M: Pretty nice body and creaminess but there is some heat present

D: I dont think i would take the time to drink this one again. Its not bad and by no means close to a drain pour but it didnt really have anything special going on either

4.32/5  rDev +11.3%

A: poured a caramel brown with light brown highlights and a half finger head that had good lacing.

S: lovely floral piney hop aromas with nice sweet malt presence and hints of citurs fruit, caramel, and slight booze.

T: a nice variety of hops punch the palate first sweet malts give a good balance and citrus, caramel, and booze propel the overall sweet piney taste.

M: light to medium body with good amount of carbonation that has a sweet bitter finish.

D: tastey DIPA from mikkeller that drank very good and had great hoppy characteristics all the way around. I'm glad that I can get more.

3.9/5  rDev +0.5%

A: This beer is a somewhat rosy amber hue. Bright white head tops it off with large bubbles. It has decent retention and good lacing.

S: A big piny aroma tops off this beer. It definitely smells like an imperial double IPA. Citrus peel notes linger in the background.

T: Sweet candied citrus comes to the forefront. There is a grassy and woody presence as well. Huge hop presence comes through this is absolutely a hop head beer. Its not overly sweet for the abv which is nice to see.

M: Prickly and almost mouth numbing.

D: Pretty medium

3.58/5  rDev -7.7%

On-tap at Beachwood BBQ, and served in a pint glass. On to the beer:

It's a darker colored IPA, a little darker than orange with good head retention and lacing sticking to the glass. It's a very malty DIPA, the hops are there, but are not uber-intense as one might expect. A little mango, pine, and resin shine from the hops, but it's not grabbing my senses as other beers of the style do. Don't worry, it's still fine.

A solid DIPA. What's crazy is this beer probably costs less on-tap than it does in the bottle.

3.95/5  rDev +1.8%

On-tap at Beachwood BBQ,

A: Pours an amber red with a frothy finger of white head, good retention, some lace.

S: Heavy hop notes, pine, mango, grapefruit.

T: As the colour would suggest, this beer has a considerable malt backbone for this style, akin to the 1000 IBU. Biscuity crystal type malt. Hops are powerful bringing a lot of grapefruit, melon rind, cantaloupe and a hint of tropicality.

M: Full-bodied, long aftertaste, very resiny, will a soft cask-like carbonation.

D: A solid DIPA for sure out of Mikkeller. Perhaps a tad to malty for my tastes like the 1000 IBU, but it's clearly well made and tastes pretty darn good.

4.51/5  rDev +16.2%

No joke - I graduated from Columbia last week. During my night out on the town with a friend a few days later, we ended up at the Blind Tiger Ale House. I'd never heard of Mikkeller but we saw a ton of these going out to various drinkers so I decided to give it a shot. Sure enough, I loved it and I'm still wondering why I hadn't heard of these guys earlier!

Maybe one of the best pours I've ever seen from a tap beer! This had a gorgeous reddish-orange glow, a small but present head, and almost no carbonation to it. It looked smooth and tasted it, which serves as a testament to the amazingly complex flavor of this. There was lots of fruit to this - citrus, melon, and apricot. It tasted light but the earthy British-like hop background gave it a nice depth that balanced out the flavors. This felt strong from an alcohol standpoint but didn't taste it and I actually had to hold myself back from downing it too quick. It almost felt like a Belgian beer but there was just enough malt to make it heavier in the mouthfeel. Was this too good to be true?

Sure enough, the keg kicked out as I finished mine about 45 minutes later. Most DIPA's that I've had tend to be American hop bombs but this ups the ante by quite a bit. It was amazingly easy to get sucked into this and tough to leave in my glass. Is there any wonder that there's only a few of the Mikkeller beers left on tap at the Blind Tiger this week?

4.72/5  rDev +21.6%

11.2oz, 9.75% ABV American style IIPA. Into chouffe tulip.

A- Nice copper color with some orangey glow. Sticky 3-finger head that looks like fresh snow. Eggshell white. Immediate lacing and great staying power. Fantastic pour.

S- Hops from a mile away. Fruity, mango, peach, grapefruit. As I get in closer pine sap and some lilac are noted. Simcoe for sure.

T- That's bitter. Not nearly the malt body of 1000 IBU, but almost certainly all the hops. If you're looking for a hop bomb look no further. Simcoe hops are easy to pick up on. Fruity and a bit grassy, with a strong pine finish.

Immense lingering bitterness. I can't say I've ever knowingly tried the Herkules hop.. a bit of poking around suggests it may be responsible for the strong bitterness. Tasty. Almost a bit of mint in the finish... yeah, like fresh mint leaves. The mint is more and more pronounced as I sip and really throws me for a loop... but I'm diggin' it.

M- Very bitter but in a good way, no bitter beer face. What I've come to love in a DIPA- Great, deep hop profile and a nice pale malt that acts as a platform for the hops. No residual sugars or caramel sweetness in this one.

D- Moderate. I *love* this beer. I will buy a few more while it's around, but the limited availability and the $$ (6 bucks a bottle) kind of hurt it as I won't be buying this all the time. Still, another treat from Mikkeller, who has created a fantastic DIPA. Worth seeking out while the hops are kicking as hard as they are right now.

If RR put this out as 'Pliny the middle-aged statesperson' it'd be on the BA top 100 in a heartbeat. One of the more impressive IIPAs I've ever had.

« first ‹ prev | 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next › last »