I Beat YoU - Mikkeller ApS

I Beat YoUI Beat YoU

Mikkeller ApS visit their website

Beer added by: bark on 11-18-2009

Heavily hopped with Herkules, Centennial, Warrior, Amarillo, Simcoe and Columbus.

Brewed at BrewDog, Scotland.
firstprev| 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next → last
2.73/5  rDev -29.8%

This beer is all over the place. The original pour is nice, with a wonderful deep caramel color and moderately foamy head. The aroma was fantastic, rich in spicy fullness with nice, subdued fruit undertones. Unfortunately, that was the best part of the beer. Upon first sip, the liquid is heavy in the mouth, with a hit of bitters that is to be expected, but with an astringent follow-up that makes the beer hard to swallow; harder still to try again. When they can be descerned, the cacophony of flavors fight with one another rather than melding into anything approaching harmony. I understand wanting to go all out and make a high IBU offering, but other companies have done so successfully while creating beer that, though potent, is still drinkable. I think this one misses the mark.

3.6/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from the bottle into Sam Adam's Boston Lager glass.

A: Nice Brown-amber head with dark amber honey.
S: Lots of florals in this one. Maybe some pine resin notes as well.
T: OMG. This thing hit my like a bomb. I was enjoying it with some BBQ baked chicken and it hit me so hard, the crazy amount of hops, that I about fell out of my chair. I'm not sure if it was the food that made it so hoppy or what, but it was the most hops I've had in a beer yet. I get some black coffee in this one as well. Some straight black coffee.
M: Made my mouth go crazy, from cheeks to tongue. The hoppiness in this was so crazy.
D: I'm not sure on this one. For me, one was enough. This was the IPA of IPA's for me. It was an interesting experience, one I've not had with any other IPA, so it's worth a first try, but definitely not one I could drink very often.

3.43/5  rDev -11.8%

A: Poured golden amber with an off white foamy head w/ quick dissipation.

A: Sweet malts upfront (honey) with a medium herbal hop aroma.

F: Same as the aroma. I think this beer was pretty straightforward: honey malt sweetness with accompanying herbal hop bitterness. The balance is pretty equal between the two, when the hops IMO should be the dominant factor in a IIPA.

M: Drinks smooth but lacking carbonation. Medium across: body, carb, and mouthfeel. No creaminess or alcohol warmth.

O: This is a tasty drinkable IIPA, but minor flaws in regards to malt and hop balance and carbonation / lacing. I think the hops were balanced with the malt rather than the focus of the beer. I'm glad I got to try it but probably would not purchase again or recommend for cellaring.

3.27/5  rDev -15.9%

A: The beer has a beautiful clear amber body and pours with a nice white head. The head has good retention and lace.

S: Not a lot of character on the nose but I do get caramel, heat and light floral notes.

T: Sweet rich caramel flavor at first with some light bitterness and citrus tang.

M: The beer is full bodied and has sharp carbonation resulting in a perfect mouthfeel for IIPAs and exactly what I expect.

Overall though this beer was a bit disappointing. I expect more hop character in my IIPAs, both in the nose and the flavor.

4.29/5  rDev +10.3%

Purchased as a single 12oz bottle that I bought home as part of a mixed six pack.

Pours an anemic looking light brown with little head, but as soon as you put the glass twoard you the wonderful smell gets to you and the taste is not long after that.

It's pretty odd to see a beer that pours so lifeless have such good mouthfeel, but it does. Coupled with the taste and you have yourself a great little beer.

I wish that I had more than one!

3.98/5  rDev +2.3%

A- Dark amber body with a fluffy off white head. Sticky lacing all down the glass.

S- Hops dominate the nose with floral notes. Pine and sweet orange as well.

T- Intense pine resin and grapefruit flavors along with a bit of caramel. Massive hop bitterness on the finish.

M- Oily and a little thick on the tongue, but the bitter hops keep it from feeling flabby. Medium bodied IPA.

O- Well crafted DIPA. Hop forward for sure. This represents a good mix of east and west coast versions of IPA. I'd buy again.

4.79/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

0,33l Hazy amber, brown wheat. Full body, oily at palate. Toasted grains, tropical fruit, light dankness and caramel almost creamy. Resin is the prominent flavor, bitter, dark chocolate and mango, some citrus, hops and malt. Toffee and resin in aftertaste. Nice balance between sweetness and bitterness. Excellent after good meal. Absolute recommendation.

4.13/5  rDev +6.2%

A: Cloudy orange with cream colored head and a little lacing.

S: Somewhat lacking, possibly this bottle has been around a long time. I really don't know. It's at least 3 months old so I can't knock it too hard, but I was looking for a little more hop aroma. It's definitely there though, a little piney, behind a huge malt aroma.

T: Money, huge caramel maltiness and aggressive bitterness with fruity and piney hop flavors. I am acutely aware I am drinking a huge beer, although it's extremely clean on the finish do to all the hopping. Ruinous IBU.

M: Nice and full, almost chewy, quite big for an IPA of course, but terribly satisfying.

Nice work.

4.43/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: clear dark amber / copper color with a thin white head and an OK lacing, but not great (due to low temperature of the beer).

Aroma: a metric ton of hops: fruits, pine, grass. Also some caramel and earthy notes, but very subtle. Alcohol is also present, but it's in the back and doesn't bother me that much. It is an Imperial IPA so you kinda have to expect some alcohol notes in the aroma I guess.

Taste: citrus, caramel, lots and lots of bitterness and some sweetness in the back as well. No traces of alcohol in taste, but it warms you pretty nicely. A bit of pineapple aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: medium to low carbonation, medium to full bodied.

Overall: very good IIPA. Better than BrewDog's Hardcore IPA (and therefore better than I Hardcore You), but not the best IIPA from Mikkeller (best one I had so far was 1000 IBU). Really nice beer, worth reccomending.

Enjoyed from a teku glass.

4.79/5  rDev +23.1%

This dipa is like a fertile and enchanted forest. Alas, it is quite expensive for just a single 12 oz bottle so I probably will not be buying this except for special occasions, though I do intend to revisit this one someday.

Poured a nice rocky head into a pint glass. It dwindled quickly, but it kept a film over the beer the whole time with fresh bubbles from the lively carbonation. The color in my lighting was a murky burnt orange. This beer has one of the most complex smells I've ever gotten from a double IPA. It starts with a malty undertone from which bursts of mountainous fauna scents emerge. The blend of the hops they use does wonderful things, I can't really believe it, but there it is.

Tastes go from incredibly bitter on the tip of the tongue, to citrus and malt in the back and man do they play nicely together. The malt and hop assault don't seem to wane even after the beer has been drank, which has happened faster than I have anticipated...that 9.75% hid well.

This beer is fan-****ing-tastic.

3.83/5  rDev -1.5%

A: Hazy almost brownish color. Almost no head.

S: Much richer and maltier than any "American Imperial IPA" I've smelled. Yeasty, bready aroma with some honey and alcohol.

T: Pretty much what the smell would lead me to expect. Very bready with a hoppy finish. Again, a bit richer than a typical American Imperial IPA, less fruity.

M: Quite rich and smooth with a dry finish. Medium to light carbonation.

O: It's in interesting take on an Imperial IPA. Almost has some Belgian dubbel vibes.

4.39/5  rDev +12.9%

I was talking with the guys in RSVP in Portland and they highly recommended this one for hop-freaks like myself. I love Mikeller's brews but I am always slightly hesitant as a result of the price tags. Apparently Scandanavia taxes beer based on the beer's ABV so a 10% beer ends up, well, pretty darn pricey! Ah, what the heck?! I'm worth it right?!

So this beer is a joint project with the guys from Brew Dog in Aberdeen, Scotland. This IS a must try! A Scottish, Scandanavian, "American IPA" !

Pouring this hop-bazooka from the bottle, one quickly appreciates the escape of the volatile citrus, pine hop aromas.

Soft, lacy head and dark copper in color.

It has been awhile since I've smelled hops this strong with the beer simply resting in the glass! Big time citrus and pepper notes.

Very, very smooth tasting. Soft, full body and the alcohol is surprisingly hidden beneath the malt and ( ...oh, did I happen to mention??) HOPS! I really need to be careful because this is going down so fast and easy for a 10% beer!

If you are a hophead and thinking of splurging $7-$10 bucks on a bottle of beer, I highly suggest you find a bottle of I Beat yoU. It is a great special treat if you love big IPAs. I wouldn't cellar this one as I would be afraid those great hop aromas might disappear.

1.94/5  rDev -50.1%

Poured a decent head but quickly dissipated. No lacing. Overpowering stink smell... overpowering bad-taste taste. I'm not sure if I just got a bad bottle or if it's just not for me... way way too much hop flavor, way too much alcohol flavor, weird citrus thing going on... too much alcohol heat...

I love some DIPA's like Pliny, Sculpin and my favorite, Dogfish Head 90 minute, but this was just not for me...

3.13/5  rDev -19.5%

a-deep amber color, offwhite bubble layer of head, light lacing

s-piney hops with some caramel malt

t-bitter up front and at the end, with some citrus and alcohol in the middle and some coffee

m-sticky with some alcohol heat, carbonation pretty high

d-more of a hop bomb to be fairly drinkable, and the alcohol comes through in the smell and taste which wears on you after a bit.

o-lots of hops, lots of bitterness, not much else. too much alcohol comes through on this and not enough balance.

4.17/5  rDev +7.2%

Served in a tulip.

Appears a hazy, burnt orange. Quick rising head that rests at two fingers. The color is a little darker than I like my 2x IPAs to look.

Smells of heavy pine, oranges/citrus, caramel and a bit of biscuit.

Taste begins sweet w/ a taste of oranges, the malt kicks in and then BAM! Bitter hoppy goodness.

Mouthfeel is slick and but sticky at the the end. Major puckering.

I liked how bitter this was. I mean a lot. However, it just wasn't balanced enough to hang with the big boys that I've been able to try...which is saying something because I like my beers on the extreme end of the spectrum. That being said, this is worth a try, but doubt I'll repeat due to the price (value).

3.93/5  rDev +1%

A - one finger head caps a slightly cloudy copper beer. The head is gone as soon as it arrives, leaving a thin layer. Leaves slight chunky lacing.

S - Hops! Citrus, pine, maybe a bit of pineapple. There's also a bit of bitter smell. Something about this smell is funky. I can't quite grasp it. I'm letting it warm up a bit to get rid of the 'funk', but it won't release its grasp. Not a good funk I must say.

T - I get hop bitterness up front, with some notes of citrus, and pineapple. A bit of pine seems to mix with the malt in this beer. I dare say the 'funky' smell may be coming from the malts here. It seems like it's caught between a West coast IPA and an East Coast IPA. By no means bad, but there's something wrong here!

M - Pretty light in this area, for clocking in at a solid 9.75%, I must say this is quite the feat. The carbonation is made of small crisp bubbles that bite the tongue a little bit, but not in a bad way.

D - After one of these I'd be done 9.75 is a hefty beer. But if you want to know how many of these I could drink without being drunk, I could probably put back 2 at most. Something about this malty funkiness going on here....

Overall: it's worth trying if you see it around. Decide for yourself, I might give it another try down the road. For right now, this falls short of the elite level of IIPAs

3.65/5  rDev -6.2%

A- The appearance is a hazy medium light brown.
S- The smell has strong hints of honey, caramel and citrus notes. T- The taste is boozy and strong. It is heavy and has hints of caramel and pine.
M- The mouthfeel is strong, satisfying and intoxicating.
O- Overall the beer is well worth experiencing and has enough complexity to satisfy most Imperial IPA lovers.

4.28/5  rDev +10%

Beautiful color: amber with orange reflex, very clear. Long lasting white head. At the nose there is a reminiscence of bergamot and obviously a lot of resin/herbs.
The beer is very smooth but also very bitter, quite warming but all the sensations are in great balace. The taste is very elegant with the bitter from the hops that seems to last forever.

firstprev| 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next → last