Big Worst - Mikkeller ApS

American Barleywine |  18.50% ABV

Beer added by: brownbeer on 03-16-2010

First Batch: 17.6% ABV January 2010
Second Batch: 18.5% ABV March 2011

Brewed at De Proefbrouwerij.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 110 | Reviews: 55
3.77/5  rDev +1.1%

375ml into tulip at about 50 degrees.

Pours w/short white head over a very clear peach-to-golden body, with a fair amount of carbonation struggling to make it up.

Aromas are laced with alchohol, sweet candy sugar, ripe banana, yeast, and bubble gum.

Flavor shifts gears slightly, in that the alcohol is masked by the thick sweetness of ripe banana, navel orange-like citrus, caramel, and a kiss of grapefruit rhind.

Mouthfeel is obviously thick and cordial-like, causing it to be nothing but a sipper.

I enjoy sweet beers, so had no problem with this one overall ... except that it's "out there" relative to most Barleywines.

p.s. Do not shotgun this beer.

3.78/5  rDev +1.3%

375ml corked and caged bottle poured into chalice june10 2010

A fairly clear orange amber with lots of bubbles of all sizes and speeds. a fingers worth of head hung around for longer then expected and even left a couple patch's of lace, more then I expected from such a big beer

S a little green apple with some caramel and booze

T all I smell but some hops come out with a heavy amount of candied fruit and booze almost like a caramel apple dipped in brandy, fairly sweet but nothing insane. Although this is still a little hot for 17.6% it's a reasonable and has more flavors then I could smell

M a little syrupy and sticky and not as thick as I expected but not thin by any means, some of the visible carbonation isn't there but not flat either, my big complaint would but the heat from the booze but again its too be expected at this ABV

D you would be wise drinking only one of these or finding a friend to share with, that being said I finished it without major issues and its worth trying with no doubt

I liked this beer but it needs several years to mellow out, I could see this getting a much higher review after some cellar time. I will drink this again it just won't be for a few years, one of the biggest beers I've ever had and the strongest I can think of on the shelves in Alberta.

3.8/5  rDev +1.9%

On tap @ Brewforia Beer Market, Bound Crossing ID. 4oz poured into what looks like a brandy snifter.

A: Fairly clear, light orange colored body, hardly any white head (expected) but what is there settles into an attractive ring. As one would expect the alcohol legs are off the chart.

S: Honestly, quite pleasant for a beer this big. Sweet and sugary for sure; apples, caramel malt, candy sugar, perfume, sweet flowers, and the booze, although it's all relatively complimentary and the alcohol isn't overwhelming.

T: Sweet alcohol, toffee, flowery perfume (not herbal), honey...pretty hot alcohol-wise but not overwhelming.

MF: Fairly thin but viscous body. Quite drying. It's not hard to drink per-se but I don't need more than four ounces.

O: Qute nice for an extreme beer. My first Mikkeller, and it didn't disappoint. Reminds me a LOT of two year old 120 Minute IPA.

3.83/5  rDev +2.7%

375mL bottle poured into snifter on 5/15/11.

A: Pours an opaque, deep amber in color with a very shallow head. Lots of bubbles remain in the bottom of the snifter.

S: Smells primarily like a malty caramel with a light sweet citrus aroma. Also, smell faint boozy notes present in the caramel sweetness.

T: The first thing I notice is the sweet, sticky caramel flavor with warm boozy undertones. Notes of banana and citrus are also present. You can feel the heavier abv after a few sips, but still very drinkable.

M: Lightly syrupy, yet smooth. Citrus flavor is more notable the more you drink.

O: Surprisingly impressed with the comfortable balance of flavor on such a high abv. The alcohol mellows the longer it sits. Definitely another Mikkeller success!

3.84/5  rDev +2.9%

12.7 fl oz poured into an extra fat snifter.

Pours shockingly light colored, crystal clear amber with a copper hue. Definitely one of the lightest hued beers of this potency I've ever sampled. Not much of a head to write about but enough to form trace bubbles on the rim of the glass.

Long before I bring the glass to my nose I can detect a heavy banana aroma permeating the room. Upon closer scrutiny, this beer puts off a ton of acetone which, at 18.5%, is to be expected. Behind the big nose are more subtle notes of thick honey, burnt sugars and tree sap.

The flavor is floral and resinous like a high quality honey. I get a strong dose of white grapes, pineapple and something akin to a nice gold rum. Mouthfeel is like a thick syrup initially but the high alcohol helps dry things up to keep this from being too cloying. There is a distinct booze character holding up the finish to remind you of the potent brew in your glass. VERY mead-like.

This was a good beer. That being said, it's not ready to drink. For what I paid, I don't feel the experience it provided was worth the cost. However, this beer has major cellar potential. I'm tempted to go out and by a few bottles to lay down for a year or more. Another eye opener from Mikkeller.

3.85/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured into a DFH snifter. Cork made a low pop leading me to believe there will be little head.

A - Very surprised that this muddy colored beer indeed those have a nice .5 inch head that is off white and recedes at a moderate pace ad goes down to a nice thin film with a ring around the glass.

S - Interesting vinous notes and some aroma that I cant quite place almost flowery. Sweet notes and some mild grain with mild hint of hops.

T - Very sweet and interesting vinous flavors. Strong alcoholic esters that bring warmth to the beer. Definitely a sipper. There is some very very sweet fruit notes that are very dominating throughout the tongue. Grapes, pears, mild dates, and some cinnamon are all perceived. Hops explode out of the taste more so than the nose especially in the pine category. Very oily hop flavor but not too much bitterness. Good offering.

M & D - Smooth nice CO2 balance and flavors a plenty. Drinkability is low because of intensity of flavor and ABV.

3.88/5  rDev +4%

Bottle from a friend.

Pours an opaque, very dark copper color with a surprising one-finger off-white head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of sticky caramel malts with good amounts of citrus and lighter amounts of pine hops. As the beer warms the hops fade a bit and the malt aromas sweeten.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Deep caramel malt flavors that are certainly sweeter because of the high ABV kick things off. Light toffee and mild grapefruit and pine hop flavors come in midway through the sip and carry through to an ending that's equally bitter and sweet. There's a good deal of warming influence after the sip but the ABV is still very well hidden.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a smooth thickness with grainy carbonation.

Drinkability is good. I didn't have a problem finishing my glass and could have another.

Overall I was impressed with the surprisingly large hop influence on such a big beer as well as the tempered alcohol influence. It's tough to make a beer with this high of an ABV drinkable and Mikkel did a nice job - worth a shot.

3.88/5  rDev +4%

A: Gold and clear with just a touch of head; lacing is surprisingly good

S: So boozy; so much alcohol with a touch of butter; lots of grains but God, this beer is boozy

T: So much booze--even a bit of smokey scotch flavors; this is grainy and it burns--wow, does it burn; boozy, buttery, grainy, and awesome

F: Decently carbonated; fairly creamy

O: Holy crap, this is a big, boozy beer, and I love it; I'm not sure what style this actually is but I love this boozy, grainy glass of awesomeness

3.89/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A big thank you to Gothgargoyle for this! Holdbar til 22/03/20

Appearance. Pours a murky orange-brown with a thin khaki head that fades to a lasting collar.

Smell. Nice caramel and oak barrel with a little old barrel funk. There's a little citrus and orchard frutiness going on as well. Nice.

Taste. Wow. Citrus rinds and caramel, coconut and toasted oak, some sharp alcohol, oily bitter hops that last on the tongue. Interesting with big flavours going on.

Mouthfeel. Fairly full bodied, low carbonation.

Overall. Sweet, boozy, hoppy, tons of barrel. It's an assault on the palate but nothing really outputting about it. Always fun to try something different.

3.9/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a bottle into a NB chalice. Wet straw clolor, white head, low retention.

Smells sweet, fruity, and boozy.

My first notion when I drink this is that it is a port- a lighter colored citrus port. It actually reminds me a lot of a late harvest reisling.

It's hard to think of something to say about this one. Despite being nearly 19% it is (relatively) drinkable. It tastes nice and has a less thick mouthfeel than a North Coast Old Stock. Its flavor profile though kind of puts it outside of the realm of beer- it is just too heavy and lacks the nuance that I get with beer. The flavors that it has, are just too strong and cover up the other parts that I expect to find in a beer.

I'm glad that I snagged this when I saw it- it is hard to make a beer at this ABV, I might even snag another to age for 10 years, but there are quite a few beers that I would get before this one again.

3.93/5  rDev +5.4%

Thanks to the random sharer of this brew. How kind of you, unknown Mademoiselle...

A - It pours a $31-looking caramel-brown hue, with about $8 worth of head, and $3 of lace.

S - Lots of syrupy booze, barrel and rich caramel-toffee aromas. Some spicy citrus notes are present, too. Also candied apples.

T - Lots of barrel, big booze, apple-caramel, almost a hint of mulled spices, and still some spicy hops in the mix. This reminds me of Avery's The Beast Grand Cru, but not quite as good (IMO).

M - Big and sticky. About what I expected.

D - This brew has a price tag that would scare me off, especially since I really felt it to be similar to the merely expensive-and-not-ridiculously-expensive Beast Grand Cru.

3.95/5  rDev +5.9%

12.7 oz. of 18.5%. One should be enough. I have had this at 45F for about 6 months.

This pours a minimal head with a bright gold clear body. Not any lacing either.

Nose is alcohol and fruit: a mixture of pear, apple and apricot.

Taste is apricot and brandy. It might be coming across as brandy as this is seriously strong beer. It really warms your throat. It is somewhat numbing as you drink it. Pretty sweet and heavy but not a lot of carbonation. As it warms I notice more complexity such as malts with orange and caramel and it was more drinkable. This was worth a try, but even I have my limits; pretty boozy.

3.97/5  rDev +6.4%

18.5%ABV.

A-Pours a clear amber with a thing ring of soft white bubbles. No lacing.

S-Clove, banana, Bubble Yum. I don't peg this as an 18.5%ABV from the nose.

T/M-Bubble gum sweetness, banana, Belgian candi sugar. Medium bodied, with a soft mouthfeel and a warming finish. Really, I am having a hard time believing the ABV on this one. The sweetness verges on cloying, but never quite gets there. More akin to an imperial pilsner or Eastern European export lager like Baltika 9 than a barleywine.

O-I'm confused. Not sure what to make of it. I guess I like it, but it doesn't strike me as being representative of its stated style.

3.97/5  rDev +6.4%

Bottle@home

A: Orange with a small, beige, head.

S: Citric notes, Caramel, Hint of alcohol and pine.

T: Caramel, Alcohol, Berries, Citric notes and some syrupy notes.

M: Low carbonation with massive sweetness that is held somewhat back by the massive amount of hops used. Way more balanced that i expected it to be.

I was very impressed by this brew. Even though it is quite sweet there has been an effort in trying to hold the sweetness in check by using alot of hops. This was a perfect nightcap.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Big Worst from Mikkeller ApS