Beer Hop Breakfast - Mikkeller ApS

Beer Hop BreakfastBeer Hop Breakfast

Mikkeller ApS visit their website

American Stout |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: Nickls on 03-16-2010

Oatmeal stout brewed with coffee

A hopped-up version of Beer Geek with strong notes of pine and resin.

Brewed at Amager Bryghus.
2.53/5  rDev -37.7%
look: 5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Please don't tell me that Mikkeller is pumping out outrageous gross beer and up charging like Saint Arnold does with the Divines. Any hoot, sippin this brew while reading the end of Stephen King's The Mist as my roomies are loud as shit downstairs. No biggy.
Pours up amazing foamy dark tan head. Great lacing. The head made it thru the whole journey. Aroma is very hoppy, some malts creeping thru. Nice aroma. Now the taste. It's too much. You've got big bold malts battling heavy hops. I don't ever eat chocolate with ketchup. It's too crazy in this bottle! It's not bad but it's not good. Full bodied. Heavy crispy carbo. Meh. Just an experiment I suppose

2.59/5  rDev -36.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Head is very foamy and chunky, milk chocolate in color. Brew is thin-ish black. Lacing is moderate.

Smoky chocolate bacon is all I smell. I smell zero fresh hop aroma...

Thin. Over carbonated. Missing hop flavors.. Under whelming dry, bitter chocolate, and overly smokey.

Once again, Mikkeller has failed once again. This brew was not worth the $10 tag. Dissapointment.

2.75/5  rDev -32.3%

Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast is amazing and one of my favorites, but this beer shows that you can't just add hops to anything to make it better. The coffee and hops compete with each other too much and destroy each other to create another hoppy stout mostly indistinguishable from the others. It looks nice at least. I really like hops, but there are other beers better suited to showcase hop flavors than this.

2.88/5  rDev -29.1%

Oh boy, what the hell do I make of this beer?

As with all of Mikkeller's stouts, epic appearance. Dark body with a huge, billowy tan/brown head. The lacing has legs for miles, just pasting the sides of your glass.

Now this is where things start getting weird. What the hell is this aroma I'm smelling? Wow. It almost stings my nostrils -- huge fresh cut grass/pine aroma, backed up with roasty malt notes. Easily the most bizarre bouquet I've ever gotten from a beer. It's as if someone took fresh grass clippings, fresh pine needles and charcoal, and mashed them all together. It's extremely unique and intense...so 5 points for that I guess. But is it good? I'm not sure I like it at all. I'll split the difference...kind of.

Fortunately, the taste isn't quite as off-putting. Huge, huge hop notes, grass/pine, big roasty malt characteristics behind it. Again, I'm not sure I like it, but I definitely found it more approachable than the nose.

Mouthfeel is nice and full, creamy and good carbonation.

Truly a strange creation here. I'm very glad I tried it, but I can't imagine I'll ever buy this again.

3.06/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

On Tap at Blue Dog.

Beer Hop Breakfast is a very dark black color with a thickish look. The dark brown mocha colored foam up top has great retention with minor sticks. a slick coats the glass when sipping. Smell is very hoppy, pine is very in charge with earthy tones and coffe grinds. Roasted malt plays a part as well. Tasting this, Beer Hop Breakfast delivers, hops and coffee. Some flaked oats (oatmeal) with roasted malt and a somewhat astringent bitter taste towards the end. Like most Mikkeller beers, Im not a big fan of this one. Feel is a nice healthy medium and probably bigger than that. Fair carb with a piney, lasting aftertaste that kills things (at least for me). Mikkeller is hit or miss with me, and this one was not a hit. I could not even finish my glass.

3.17/5  rDev -21.9%

Poured into a nonic.

Pitch black with a darkish beige head that cascades up to about three fingers worth. Subsides to about a fingers worth sporting much lacing.

Smells smokey, chocolate-y, fresh, herbal, and yes the hops are there.

Taste is smokey, roasty, somewhat acidic even, hoppy and herbal with a roasty and intensely bitter and again acidic finish. Hugely roasty and bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is full and heavy, bitter, a bit chalky, and this weird acidicty.

Beer geek breakfast is still the best of the series.

3.18/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Visually really really appealing, pitch black body flowing huge tan head frothing above the sides of my chalice, fine even lacing as it slowly fades. Aroma has dark chocolate bitterness and hint of pine and citrus tone hops in the background with a somewhat creamed coffee in the middle. Bitterness unwavering bitterness green hops assault the palate with a pelletized hop concentration black malts (mainly black patent bring out the charcoal and roasted malt bitterness) so there's a bit of a tag team combo hitting me hard right now. I really couldn't tell you they used oatmeal, but dark bitter coffee, dark malts, and hops are screaming hello!!! Mouthfeel never gets past any one of the waves of bitterness it coats all dimensions of the palate, medium bodied even solid carbonation no issues there just the lacquer known has beer hop breakfast is left behind coating the entire palate with a lingering unbalanced bitterness. Overall I wish the gypsy brewer had a stroke of finesse in his paint brush, maybe due to the country where the brewing scene is breaking out like a punk rock movement do most of these guys feel the need to brew this way. Believe me I like extreme beer I just like well balanced big beers.

3.26/5  rDev -19.7%

Poured from a bottle into a goblet. Reviewed from notes taken on 4/4/2011

Appearance: Pours jet black with three fingers of thick tan head. A layer of carbonation remains throughout.

Smell: Roast and pine hops dominate. There is also a mild sweetness and some coffee as well.

Taste: Very bitter from the coffee and hops. I'm picking up coffee, dark chocolate, and bitter citrus peel hops. The finish is also super bitter from the roast and the hops. I'm not sure that I love the way the hops and the coffee are mixing.

Mouthfeel: Thick and smooth as you take the sip. The carbonation is smooth and there is a good amount. I don't love the finish, it seems to be mildly chalky.

Overall: I'm not in love with this beer. The roast and the hops seem to be fighting for my attention. I prefer the less hoppy versions of the Mikkeller breakfast stout.

3.32/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Mikkeller, how you do make my life so interesting..

Black and thick with a stout and ready mocha head. Looks delightful. You know the hop punch is coming, but what will it be?
Bam! Left hand to the dome! Wild aromas of pine, coffee, flowers, grass, and chocolate. Hints of raspberry. Untamed, unchained. Not sure how I feel about this aroma..But definitely interesting.
In the mouf, the flavors get less in the way of each other, but it's still a lot to take in. Very bitter, hops kicking all the way through, coffee present but not abundant. A bit of chocolate. Pine is big. Digging into CDA territory here, for sure. I mean, this is basically what it is. Just trying to trick us with his labeling.
It is a mouthful. It's alright, medium-bodied, a lot to like or dislike, but there certainly is a lot of flavor. Cool experiment. I'd maybe tone down the bitterness a bit more. Not sure what else I'd do. Fun and beastly.

3.36/5  rDev -17.2%

Bottle poured into Matilda glass. Pours thick black with small mocha head that fades to a collar. Very nice lacing. Smell is average, lots of slightly stale coffee, some noble hops, a touch of roasted malts. Taste is a lot better then the smell but nothing special. Coffee, bakers chocolate, hop bitterness that carries no other hop characteristics, some earthy hops and roasted malts as it warms. Mouthfeel is a bit on the thin side and to active of a carbonation. Not as silky as I would expect from an oatmeal stout. Overall a decent beer, but not worth the hefty price tag, but I suppose it delivers what it advertises - hoppy coffee stout.

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

Pours a dark brown, with a glint or so of mahogany up to the light. Head is darkish beige, bit whispy but decent lace left around. Looks pretty good, although it could easily look better in all aspects.

Smells quite resiny, actually. Fair floral hints coming off that, with some citrus, pine and rubber. Mostly light, and even though it's deliberate, I'm missing something darker, more heavy or just earthier, as it all seems a bit unsubstantial. Nice, but I'd like more.

Taste is a bit better. Still a little light body-wise, but plenty of that resiny hop note upfront, with floral and woody, organic sap notes that transition smoothly into a long, bitter finish. Lots of astringency on the back, with charred roastiness and resinous hop oils competing for the bitter crown. A bit too much, really, kind of lemon pithy and doesn't quite clean up to make me want more.

Body is quite light for the style, but there's a presence by the end. OK.

Have had better dark beers, this one tastes quite heavy but not quite a full enough flavour to compensate for the weighty bitterness. Just a bit ashy and astringent. Not an everyday beer.

3.53/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a solid, deep brown colour, with lighter tones at the edges of the glass when tilted. Head forms frothy and full, like the mocha top of a chocolate fondue. Some speckled lacing around the edge of the glass. Body looks full, but quite fluid, and forms tight carbonation when tilted. Looks good.

Nose is mostly still dominated by the stout, but a sharp pine resin note comes through relatively strongly, giving a greenish twinge to the otherwise brown-black aroma. Still there are notes of coffee, roasted grains and a touch of coconut.

Taste is unusual, with a deep roasted bitterness topping a touch of sweetness, but not a lot. Instead, there's a sharp vector of hoppy bitterness towards the back, which has the twin consequences of making the roastedness more pronounced, and making the feel seem less full and thinner. The roast and the hops has the other consequence of leaving an odd dark floral flavour, like lavender or holly. It's very unusual.

I'm afraid to say that this didn't work for me all that well; the dark roast it not full enough to support the hops, or the hops don't mesh nicely with the stoutier flavours. It doesn't have the subtle synergy of a India Black Ale, and the hops blast through any vestige of it being a true stout. It makes it awkward, overly bitter, and oddly, despite everything, lacking in complexity.

Probably my least favourite of the Beer Geek series so far.

3.53/5  rDev -13.1%

From notes on 5/29. Didn’t really care for the smell. To me, it smelled like dirt. Really through my experience off. Had a nice thick black body. Awesome coffee taste. The smell though, I just couldn’t get past it.

3.56/5  rDev -12.3%

pours pitch black with a 2 finger tan head that had good retention and left lacing all over the glass

smells of roasted malt chocolate malt and some fruit hops

taste is ok - there just seems to be something off with it - it is quite hoppy lots of citrus coming through the dark roasted chocolate malts

mouthfeel is light(thin) with very low carbonation

overall - hoppy stout and porters are the new "it" beers - that said there are many other breweries doing better interpretations

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

Pours black in color with a tall tan head. Citrus peel, floral, and perfume. Hints of chocolate, lots of roasted malt, some ash, and a bit of char. Maybe a little bit of alcohol. Flavor is quite ashy, heavy on the roast, and a fair amount of bitterness. Some dark chocolate, piney hops, and a hint of citrus peel.

3.59/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Big fan of the breakfast series, so was pumped when this one showed up locally on shelves not too long ago.

a - Opened the bottle and poured into my CCB snifter. Beer poured a silky sludgey black with a generous finger of a milky tan colored head. The head hung around for a while with nice bubbling and as it evaporated, it left really solid lacing. This is an attractive stout. Looks pretty spot on.

s - Interesting smell. Strong mix of coffee and cream with some peppery spices. The hops are not as prevalent as I would've expected in the nose, but I think that is the peppery spice that I'm picking up. A little bit band aide or rubbery or something I can't describe, seems like the hops don't play nice with the stout.

t - Roasted coffee. Starts off creamy and lush but ends bittery and a bit dry. Somewhat spicey. That same weird rubbery thing that's going on in the smell is also present in the flavor. The taste is nice, but the finish is too dry and bitter. Hops seem to take away more than help the beer, but still not a bad beer. I find myself wishing the hops weren't there and this could be a great beer.

m - Like drinking a cup of coffee. Finishes pretty bitter and dry. Leaves a bit of a tingle.

o - Overall, this is the weakest in the beer breakfast series in my opinion. I was really hoping for a hoppy stout a la Darkness, but instead the hops serve mostly to bitter and dry out an otherwise nice stout. Looks amazing, but a bit of a let down from there. You are way better off going for a beer geek breakfast or a beer geek brunch weasel. I am, however, excited to see more of these beers showing up on shelves and I will continue to try as many as I can.

3.61/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Out of a bottle into a Stone RIS snifter.

A: Complete blackness with a 2.5 finger dark mocha head that dissipates somewhat quickly. Wonderful black richness with some visible streaming carb. Looks like a hearty stout.

S: Coffee, and grains here- almost like a burnt wort smell with a hint of hops and raw pine. Smells like interesting, not too sure what to expect from the taste. I feel like the hops will be shadowed by the intense bitter coffee and burnt malt flavors I can just smell oozing out of the glass.

T: Bitter, no real hops to be found. Almost getting flashbacks to the St. Ambroise RIS I had that made me absolutely sick. Goes down like cold bitter coffee, but at least there is no alcohol burn present. Kills the taste buds, well all of the receptors that aren't bitter-recognizing at least. Overall I expected more of a taste out of this Mikkeller brew, considering all of their other beers I've had have been so beautifully crafted.

M: Finishes very very dry, bitter aftermath being left with no real desire to try to seek out any other type of beer for the evening due to the fact that I most likely wont be able to taste anything but bitter coffee.

O: Not my cup of brew. I can see how someone really into stouts would love this beer, but it's just not for me. I expected more hops, less stout and coffee.

3.62/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thick two finger head of super dark brown, surface filled with larger bubbles which contributes to a steady dissolve, you can watch it disappear, the lacing has moderate strength but not so much density. The liquid is fully black, however, you see some tiny bubbles rising inside and the outer rims and surface take on a yellow hue, looks sturdy. The nose offers palpable coffee roast along with powdered chocolate and cocoa, big burst of pink grapefruit and pine betrays the hops presence, in some ways the green herbal nature becomes dominant, minor notes of plum or cherry fruit, doesn’t come across as sweet as expected. Medium-bodied, what’s there feels heavy on the tongue, here the roast more pronounced and bitter, coffee grounds, dark chocolate, mocha, tar, tobacco resin with toasted bread more than softer yeast accents. The pine, grapefruit and leaf to grass hops bust right up the middle, minimal sweetness found on the tongue too. The carbonation is subtly refreshing more than a definite presence. No real fruit presence, the finish becomes more astringent to bitter. Tastes clearly like a fusion of two different beers. More curious than pleasurable.

3.65/5  rDev -10.1%

deep brown almost black in color, nice 2 fingers of brown head causing some great lacing. scents of chocolate, piney hops, roasted marshmallows, coffee. a hoppy mouthful at first, evened out by an ashtray dirt type bitterness from the roasted grains/coffee, mildly balanced out by the malt sweetness and chocolate flavor. i think they over did it with the hops, i was expecting a more subtle dry hop taste - but again, a foreign brewery making an american style stout, i guess they figure we're assholes with our ibu's!
a light medium body, nicely carbonated, barely any creaminess.

this is a nice one time experience - with that said i wouldn't want to drink it again. a bit off tasting with the amount of hops they used.

3.67/5  rDev -9.6%

A black beer, a tan head, leaving some lacing and some curtains.

Smelling of grass, nettles, peas, and soy sauce.

Staring with dark fruits, then some Madeira and herbal hoppiness.

Little carbonation, coarse and oily (!) texture, thick and sticky, a dry finish.

A deep complex soup. Much hops. And much more.

3.68/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to wishuwerebeer for sharing. Poured into a snifter, this brew appears a very dark brown color that is nearly black. When held to the light, it has lighter brown clarity around the outer most edges. A finger of thick, creamy brown head appears and holds in a froth across the top. Leggy patches and finger-like patterns of lace stick to the glass.

The smell of this brew is hoppy with leafy and grassy notes. Some fruity, solvent to fusel alcohol is evident that gets exaggerated and increasingly more bold as the brew warms. Some oats and roasted grain to char character is present imparting a light sweetness to the nose. More of a fresh oat character comes out as the brew warms but the major scent of this brew is the hops.

The taste is excessively oily with bitter, resinous hops that are very grassy and leafy in nature. The bitterness of the hops is accented by the bitterness of the roasted grain. Very bitter to burnt with a char-like character and minor notes of coffee. Some fruity alcohol is evident very similar to other mikkeller beer geek offerings.

This is a medium bodied brew with a creamy smooth texture yet oily and clingy as well. It boasts a modest amount of carbonation. It is decently drinkable but very oily and overly bitter from the combination of hops and roasted grain. I throughly enjoy stouts but really dislike when they are over hopped like this. No matter how much I try to like them, I just cant get into it. If american black ales are your thing, this is a must try but for $14 a 500ml bottle, they can keep it in my opinion.

3.7/5  rDev -8.9%

Pours black with a large, dark tan head and lacing.
Nose shows passion-fruit, chocolate truffles, soft pine, oatmeal and earthy coffee beans. Very nice.
Very rich, decadent flavours, with massive amounts of espresso and cocoa complimented by more passion-fruit and peach. Coffee is definitely the dominant flavour though, becoming almost harsh and creating a very sharp bitterness.
Could use more carbonation to create a creamier mouthfeel.

3.7/5  rDev -8.9%

Poured into stone RIS glass, pours a nice dark black with a large one finger head. I enjoyed the smell on this one, classic smell of the base beer with a small but noticeable herbal hop characteristic at the end. The taste was a little disappointing to me as the hop flavor strong notes of coffee and chocolate were there but, the hop characteristic did not come through that much, slight citrus Finnish, bitter aftertaste was really all that I picked up as far as the hops go.With the smell I thought a lot more would come through in the taste. The was a medium to full body beer, still has the creamy tongue feel that the rest of the series has, nice bitter tingle left at the end. Not bad overall, mostly carried because of the base beer, not a bad twist but I am a huge fan of hoppy stouts and while still a good beer, didn't live up to what I was hoping for

3.7/5  rDev -8.9%

A: Dark brown with a huge brown head.

S: Coffe, Roasted malt, Citric notes.

T: Roasted malts, Bitter chocolate, Lemony hops, Espresso, Pine.

M: Very hoppy and bitter. Plenty of carbonation too.

I like the original beer geek breakfast but the bitterness from the coffee doesn't play well with the hops. It just gets overwhelming. Had problems finishing 1/2 bottle.

3.71/5  rDev -8.6%

appearance - black, beautiful mocha colored head that sticks around forever. lacing is also incredible.

smell - black ipa? wow lots of pine and herby hops. coffee comes in with some oats/barley. some charred wood

taste - pretty god damn hoppy. god damn hoppy. afterwards some coffee... not what i hoped for.

mouthfeel - weak body. great carbonation. oatmeal stouts need to be thicker than this and creamier. neither one is there whatsoever.

Beer Hop Breakfast from Mikkeller ApS