Beer Hop Breakfast - Mikkeller ApS

Beer Hop BreakfastBeer Hop Breakfast

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

American Stout |  7.50% ABV

Oatmeal stout brewed with coffee

A hopped-up version of Beer Geek with strong notes of pine and resin.

Brewed at Amager Bryghus.

(Beer added by: Nickls on 03-16-2010)
1.92/5  rDev -52.6%

2.46/5  rDev -39.3%
look: 5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Please don't tell me that Mikkeller is pumping out outrageous gross beer and up charging like Saint Arnold does with the Divines. Any hoot, sippin this brew while reading the end of Stephen King's The Mist as my roomies are loud as shit downstairs. No biggy.
Pours up amazing foamy dark tan head. Great lacing. The head made it thru the whole journey. Aroma is very hoppy, some malts creeping thru. Nice aroma. Now the taste. It's too much. You've got big bold malts battling heavy hops. I don't ever eat chocolate with ketchup. It's too crazy in this bottle! It's not bad but it's not good. Full bodied. Heavy crispy carbo. Meh. Just an experiment I suppose

2.5/5  rDev -38.3%

2.58/5  rDev -36.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Head is very foamy and chunky, milk chocolate in color. Brew is thin-ish black. Lacing is moderate.

Smoky chocolate bacon is all I smell. I smell zero fresh hop aroma...

Thin. Over carbonated. Missing hop flavors.. Under whelming dry, bitter chocolate, and overly smokey.

Once again, Mikkeller has failed once again. This brew was not worth the $10 tag. Dissapointment.

2.75/5  rDev -32.1%

Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast is amazing and one of my favorites, but this beer shows that you can't just add hops to anything to make it better. The coffee and hops compete with each other too much and destroy each other to create another hoppy stout mostly indistinguishable from the others. It looks nice at least. I really like hops, but there are other beers better suited to showcase hop flavors than this.

2.9/5  rDev -28.4%

Oh boy, what the hell do I make of this beer?

As with all of Mikkeller's stouts, epic appearance. Dark body with a huge, billowy tan/brown head. The lacing has legs for miles, just pasting the sides of your glass.

Now this is where things start getting weird. What the hell is this aroma I'm smelling? Wow. It almost stings my nostrils -- huge fresh cut grass/pine aroma, backed up with roasty malt notes. Easily the most bizarre bouquet I've ever gotten from a beer. It's as if someone took fresh grass clippings, fresh pine needles and charcoal, and mashed them all together. It's extremely unique and intense...so 5 points for that I guess. But is it good? I'm not sure I like it at all. I'll split the difference...kind of.

Fortunately, the taste isn't quite as off-putting. Huge, huge hop notes, grass/pine, big roasty malt characteristics behind it. Again, I'm not sure I like it, but I definitely found it more approachable than the nose.

Mouthfeel is nice and full, creamy and good carbonation.

Truly a strange creation here. I'm very glad I tried it, but I can't imagine I'll ever buy this again.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

On Tap at Blue Dog.

Beer Hop Breakfast is a very dark black color with a thickish look. The dark brown mocha colored foam up top has great retention with minor sticks. a slick coats the glass when sipping. Smell is very hoppy, pine is very in charge with earthy tones and coffe grinds. Roasted malt plays a part as well. Tasting this, Beer Hop Breakfast delivers, hops and coffee. Some flaked oats (oatmeal) with roasted malt and a somewhat astringent bitter taste towards the end. Like most Mikkeller beers, Im not a big fan of this one. Feel is a nice healthy medium and probably bigger than that. Fair carb with a piney, lasting aftertaste that kills things (at least for me). Mikkeller is hit or miss with me, and this one was not a hit. I could not even finish my glass.

3.04/5  rDev -24.9%

3.09/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Visually really really appealing, pitch black body flowing huge tan head frothing above the sides of my chalice, fine even lacing as it slowly fades. Aroma has dark chocolate bitterness and hint of pine and citrus tone hops in the background with a somewhat creamed coffee in the middle. Bitterness unwavering bitterness green hops assault the palate with a pelletized hop concentration black malts (mainly black patent bring out the charcoal and roasted malt bitterness) so there's a bit of a tag team combo hitting me hard right now. I really couldn't tell you they used oatmeal, but dark bitter coffee, dark malts, and hops are screaming hello!!! Mouthfeel never gets past any one of the waves of bitterness it coats all dimensions of the palate, medium bodied even solid carbonation no issues there just the lacquer known has beer hop breakfast is left behind coating the entire palate with a lingering unbalanced bitterness. Overall I wish the gypsy brewer had a stroke of finesse in his paint brush, maybe due to the country where the brewing scene is breaking out like a punk rock movement do most of these guys feel the need to brew this way. Believe me I like extreme beer I just like well balanced big beers.

3.15/5  rDev -22.2%

Poured into a nonic.

Pitch black with a darkish beige head that cascades up to about three fingers worth. Subsides to about a fingers worth sporting much lacing.

Smells smokey, chocolate-y, fresh, herbal, and yes the hops are there.

Taste is smokey, roasty, somewhat acidic even, hoppy and herbal with a roasty and intensely bitter and again acidic finish. Hugely roasty and bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is full and heavy, bitter, a bit chalky, and this weird acidicty.

Beer geek breakfast is still the best of the series.

3.2/5  rDev -21%

Poured from a bottle into a goblet. Reviewed from notes taken on 4/4/2011

Appearance: Pours jet black with three fingers of thick tan head. A layer of carbonation remains throughout.

Smell: Roast and pine hops dominate. There is also a mild sweetness and some coffee as well.

Taste: Very bitter from the coffee and hops. I'm picking up coffee, dark chocolate, and bitter citrus peel hops. The finish is also super bitter from the roast and the hops. I'm not sure that I love the way the hops and the coffee are mixing.

Mouthfeel: Thick and smooth as you take the sip. The carbonation is smooth and there is a good amount. I don't love the finish, it seems to be mildly chalky.

Overall: I'm not in love with this beer. The roast and the hops seem to be fighting for my attention. I prefer the less hoppy versions of the Mikkeller breakfast stout.

3.25/5  rDev -19.8%