Beer Hop Breakfast - Mikkeller ApS

Beer Hop BreakfastBeer Hop Breakfast

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

American Stout |  7.50% ABV

Oatmeal stout brewed with coffee

A hopped-up version of Beer Geek with strong notes of pine and resin.

Brewed at Amager Bryghus.

(Beer added by: Nickls on 03-16-2010)

Davit, Oct 04, 2014

carlmoberg, Aug 31, 2014

Irish12, Aug 30, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +17%

Reviewed from notes.

Pours a beautiful ebony with a brown half a finger of head. Dissipates rather quickly. Surprised by the look of this that it's not actually a stout.

Aroma is amazing, sweet matly, burnt biscuit, heavy coffee, dark chocolate. Slight hop aroma in there somehow coming through. Just great.

Very delicious. Chocolate and coffee are most prevalent. Sweetness abound! Hops are on the back end and very subtle at that. No date on the bottle so hops could have faded a bit. Tastes more like a hoppy stout than a black IPA but it's still great.

Very thick and rich, stout-like again. Aftertaste has a lingering bitterness that rounds it out nicely.

This was my first try at Mikkeller and I'm so glad that I know how good they can be. Probably the best black IPA I've had although it's more like a stout. But really great stuff.

PeterParker, Aug 29, 2014

I_BYE_MI_BEER, Aug 28, 2014

2014 release
Mikkeller Beer Hop Breakfast
Black India Pale Ale brewed with coffee

Drank direct from the bottle, circumstances being what they were. Beautiful full rich taste and mouthful, the roasted malts balanced well with the strong hop presence. Nice coffee notes at the end.

Top-notch beer, don't let this one slide by if you enjoy beer brewed with coffee.

OsoRojo, Aug 27, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -32.3%

Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast is amazing and one of my favorites, but this beer shows that you can't just add hops to anything to make it better. The coffee and hops compete with each other too much and destroy each other to create another hoppy stout mostly indistinguishable from the others. It looks nice at least. I really like hops, but there are other beers better suited to showcase hop flavors than this.

Ranbot, Aug 25, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

Says "Black India Pals Ale brewed with coffee" on bottle. It is. Ipa with lots of coffee.

Kevinpitts, Aug 22, 2014

1.92/5  rDev -52.7%

treeslothguy, Aug 15, 2014
4.4/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I am still plowing through my backlog of bottles, but I may break down and hit some CANs in the next couple of days. In the meantime, here is a curiosity that I picked up at Hunger 'n' Thirst a while back. I am not a fan of the style, but I will try anything once.

From the bottle: "Black India Pale Ale Brewed With Coffee".

The beauty of these really dark beers is that when I employ an aggro pour, the pseudo-cascade is extremely visible. I sat back in awe and watched it settle into two fingers of very dense, deep-tan/light-brown head with good retention. Color was an Opaque Black (SRM = 44) and it looked like the depths of outer space in my glass. Nose was both dark-roasted coffee and fresh mint, possibly spearmint or perhaps peppermint. Very nice! Mouthfeel was slightly full, just a step above medium. The taste was what I want from this Cascadian/Dark/Black IPA style - mint, chocolate and coffee! I was actually getting the hops, which is not usually the case. I was really reminded of a York Peppermint Patty, especially since I was getting the sensation. Finish was semi-dry and very pleasant. I could drink a few of these before reaching for a regular AIPA.

woodychandler, Aug 11, 2014