Beer Hop Breakfast - Mikkeller ApS

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

American Stout |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: Nickls on 03-16-2010

Oatmeal stout brewed with coffee

A hopped-up version of Beer Geek with strong notes of pine and resin.

Brewed at Amager Bryghus.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 584 | Reviews: 191
2.75/5  rDev -32.1%

Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast is amazing and one of my favorites, but this beer shows that you can't just add hops to anything to make it better. The coffee and hops compete with each other too much and destroy each other to create another hoppy stout mostly indistinguishable from the others. It looks nice at least. I really like hops, but there are other beers better suited to showcase hop flavors than this.

3.5/5  rDev -13.6%

Says "Black India Pals Ale brewed with coffee" on bottle. It is. Ipa with lots of coffee.

3.96/5  rDev -2.2%

4.04/5  rDev -0.2%

3.25/5  rDev -19.8%

1.92/5  rDev -52.6%

4.4/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I am still plowing through my backlog of bottles, but I may break down and hit some CANs in the next couple of days. In the meantime, here is a curiosity that I picked up at Hunger 'n' Thirst a while back. I am not a fan of the style, but I will try anything once.

From the bottle: "Black India Pale Ale Brewed With Coffee".

The beauty of these really dark beers is that when I employ an aggro pour, the pseudo-cascade is extremely visible. I sat back in awe and watched it settle into two fingers of very dense, deep-tan/light-brown head with good retention. Color was an Opaque Black (SRM = 44) and it looked like the depths of outer space in my glass. Nose was both dark-roasted coffee and fresh mint, possibly spearmint or perhaps peppermint. Very nice! Mouthfeel was slightly full, just a step above medium. The taste was what I want from this Cascadian/Dark/Black IPA style - mint, chocolate and coffee! I was actually getting the hops, which is not usually the case. I was really reminded of a York Peppermint Patty, especially since I was getting the sensation. Finish was semi-dry and very pleasant. I could drink a few of these before reaching for a regular AIPA.

3.75/5  rDev -7.4%

4.75/5  rDev +17.3%

4.25/5  rDev +4.9%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Beer Hop Breakfast from Mikkeller ApS