1000 IBU - Mikkeller ApS

1000 IBU1000 IBU

Mikkeller ApS visit their website

Beer added by: Nickls on 03-16-2010

Brewed at De Proefbrouwerij.
1.69/5  rDev -56.3%

On tap at Max's before the Agalloch show. I ordered this so I could lower my rAvg.

Amber copper with a beige head with great retention and nice lacing, I can already tell this will be sweet. And that's what I first notice - overly sweet with a moderate hop bitterness with pinesol and grapefruit. The palate opens sweet, ridiculously slow, caramelized and sugary, revolting, even. Bitterness is high, bruising and harshly unpleasant. Full in body with a sweet and bitter finish, this is not even close to being a good beer. Maybe time will make this an acceptable barleywine, but I'm not counting on it.

1.7/5  rDev -56.1%

This beer pours with a thick head. Muddled aromas and hops and malt. Ruddy color with suspended particulates. The taste is of big, but unimpressive malt and a harsh bitterness that isn't particularly hoppy but is rough and lingers far to long.

Overall this is a complete failure of a beer. It is certainly not sn American double IPA, more like some failed attempt at an imperial red ale or something.

It seems to me that this should have been dumped rather than bottled for the public. I know if I'd have brewed it that's what I would have done. I'm sure it was an expensive beer to brew so maybe that wasn't an option.

1.71/5  rDev -55.8%

Pours a cloudy, dark orange/amber color. I got some off white head that faded very quickly.

NOT much of a "hop bomb." But plenty of malt on the nose. There are some hops, but there are more bready malts - YEASTY.

Medium bodied and OK but definetly not a true american DIPA.

Money better spent elsewhere.

1.95/5  rDev -49.6%

Thanks to Sarah and Chris for picking this one up for me. Shared the bottle with fellow BA OKComputer, and it was a good thing I did. The beer was a cloudy orange brown color with no head or lace. The beer even looked syrupy.

That syrup was foremost on the nose, with some bitter hops following, a noticeable alcohol scent, and just the faintest hint of pine. The taste was nearly identical, with a bit of pine that didn't show on the nose.

The body was very thick, sticky and, you guessed it, syrupy, with an unpleasantly sticky finish. Drinkability was very low, near to a drain pour by both of our estimations. Overall, this is a novelty beer, and the gimmick isn't enough to carry the weight. Avoid this beer, unless, like me, you want the tick.

1.99/5  rDev -48.6%

A - Rusty-nail colored beer with yellow on the edges and a small white head that left some splotches on the sides with poor retention.

S - Ash, hops, rotten malts, caramel, sickly sweet sugar, more sugar, rubber and other gross smells. Kind of not good.

T - Tastes like vulcanized rubber, rotted vegetables, rotted pineapple, and bitter hops. This is disgusting and I am having a hard time getting it down.

M - Somewhat creamy, moderate carbonation, medium bodied.

O - Pretty gross beer, not as undrinkable as its BA Version, but bad nonetheless. Avoid.

2.04/5  rDev -47.3%

I'm a hop lover, but I must say this brew is a tragedy. I paid 250 NT roughly 7 USD for one 12oz bottle, and I want my money back. Sure, it's nice to look at and the aroma is OK, but it tastes like a train wreck.

2.09/5  rDev -46%

Poured into a snifter.

Although I didn't get a "pop" from the cork, I did get about a finger of light tan head on a deep ruby beer. The head dropped, but left a nice wisp of foam and some lace.

Aroma is big, huge, gigantic with herbal, grassy notes and resinous hops, grapefruit, and pine. The vegetal quality really stands out, like the bottom of my brewpot after boiling a batch of wort. Very distinct aroma of unfermented wort.

First sip is bitter, almost a burnt quality, heavily vegetal. "Green" keeps popping into my mind. Some malty sweetness detected, but this is by no means balanced. Or even hop forward. This is "green" forward. Very grassy and vegetal. Not all that pleasant. Lingering finish is bitter and vegetable-like, like collard greens.

Mouthfeel is big, chewy, some astringency.

Not all that drinkable. I'm glad to have had the chance to try it, but don't think I'll be going back for seconds. Not a very pleasant beer. This experiment is interesting. The results tell you something (don't overpack the he hops too much over a calculated 100 IBU). But other than a curiousity, not much else there.

2.14/5  rDev -44.7%

Bottle purchased from Brawley's poured into a Delirium Tremens Snifter.

A- Pours an amber red with a finger khaki/off white head. Decent lacing. A lot of sediment in the bottom of this beer.

S - Honestly smells of straight alcohol. Not pleasant at all.

T- It doesn't have a huge bitterness to it, but the bitterness is all I taste. No complexity to this beer at all. It's all hops and nothing else.

M- Decently smooth beer. High carbonation with a strong bitterness throughout and even heavier in the after taste.

D- Burns going down. It tastes stronger than the ABV (even at 9.6%).

It was more of a novelty for me to buy it. It definitely wasn't worth the price but I had to try it simply because of the name "1000 IBU's." This beer won't be purchased again.

2.16/5  rDev -44.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

A full paper cover contains this bottle, which is a 12.7 fl oz green glass (come on, Mikkel!) bottle with appealing fun label art and an unbranded pry-off pressure cap. 9.6% ABV confirmed per the label. Reviewed as an imperial IPA becuase the label clearly identifies it as such. IBU: 1000 (yeah, right). Imported by the Shelton Bastards. Mikkel is my favourite brewer.

Served cold - straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

No liquid surges out upon opening.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a two finger wide head of gorgeous off-white colour. Very creamy and thick. Great even consistency and soft complexion. Retention is good - about 8-9 minutes. Lovely even consistent lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

Body colour is a murky opaque brownish caramel. Abundant yeast particles are visible. Not a real appealing colour.

Overall, it's not a flattering appearance for an imperial IPA. I'm optimistic, but it's not unique or special. There are no egregious flaws.

Sm: Floral hop character, biscuity yeast, pale malts, cream, grapefruit pith, and biscuit malt. Seems pretty bitter, but not particularly hoppy. Bready.

A decent aroma of moderate strength. I can't say I'm real excited to try it based on the aroma.

T: Bready malts, cream, heavy floral hop character, hop bitterness, biscuity yeast, grapefruit pith, and pale malts. It's quite resinous. Unremarkable tropical fruit (pineapple, mango, etc).

More balanced than anticipated, but still a damned mess. Average depth and duration of flavour. Below average intensity of flavour,though it does come on quite strong on the climax.

Cohesive, but far from gestalt. Lacks complexity, subtlety, intricacy, and nuance. I can't say I'm a big fan of it. There just isn't a lot going on, and I'm not horribly interested in what is.

At least it's not too soapy.

Honestly, it isn't as bitter as I expected. I've had far more bitter brews, some of which still had more balance than this does.

Mf: Creamy, smooth, and wet. Too thick. Somewhat hot, actually. Okay presence on the palate. Unrefreshing. Doesn't suit the flavour profile all that well.

Not gushed, harsh, astringent, or rough.

Dr: Downable but very forgettable. It does hide its ABV fairly well, but it's not up to par with Mikkel's best offerings. Nice to try once, but I wouldn't get it again or recommend it to friends. A bitter bomb with little to offer the discerning drinker. I'm glad I'm splitting this with a friend. Terrible imbalance is its undoing. Coming from my favourite brewer, it's a huge disappointment.

2.41/5  rDev -37.7%

2/28/11 poured from bottle into snifter glass.

A: Dark reddish brown with orange tinted 1 finger thick head. Moderate lacing down the glass, but not impressive.

S: Smell was a huge turn off for me. Strong malt flavors and brown sugar. Minimal noble style hops, but they're far overpowered by the malt.

T: Malty and bitter. All I can taste is brown sugar and crystal malts. The bitterness is there, but for something labeled 1000 IBU I was very disappointed in the bitterness. Some alcohol on the finish.

M: very thick and viscus, but had a moderately clean finish. Definitely the best part of the beer.

D: Not drinkable. Poured about 1/2 the $14 bottle down the drain. What a waste.

2.45/5  rDev -36.7%

12.7 oz bottle, date code 6721011, so 2/10/11?
Anyway, this pours a reddish brown that really glows behind some light...and illuminates quite a large amount of floaties (as such, I didn't pour the last oz in my glass initially, but failed anyway). Basically, the same deal as double crooked tree. The head is big, tan and hangs out for a while. The smell is that imperial ipa sweetness with some brown sugar richness and a bit of generic bitterness. It smells like an american barleywine. The front is the smooth sweetness that you get in a beer like 90 min, that finishes with a brutal bandaid twinged hop bitterness. There isn't so much a strong hop flavor as there is a wave of sweetness and then a punishing, almost flavorless bitterness (other than the off bandaid flavor). Ill bet this beer would be really good rated as a barleywine after sitting for 2 years. Right now, the taste is disappointing, and borderline just bad, outside of it being an interesting experiment. The bandaid element of the finish pushes it to 2.0 taste territory. Mouthfeel is medium heavy, medium carb. Seems fine. That finish strongly limits the drinkability. Share this one with a few friends if you really want to try it as it gets less appealing as you move through the bottle. But, maybe don't because it doesn't taste good.

2.45/5  rDev -36.7%

Poured up a rather cloudy caramel brown colour with a spotty, off-white head. Smell was very hoppy (citrusy), but not *as* outrageous as I was preparing myself for. Outside of the hops, there was little else.
Upon taking a sip, I involuntarily winced and thought to myself, "oh, *there* it is." This beer is "practical joke" hoppy. The level of pine resin in this is ridiculous. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that this beer is capable of etching the enamel off of your teeth.
The advertised 9,6%abv is well hidden, but it hardly seems worth mentioning considering how obscenely bitter this thing is. One can actually feel the sticky, resinous hop oils in the mouth.
This is certainly not for me. However, a friend of mine wanted to bring something unique to share with a small group, and I do believe he succeeded. While I didn't care for it, I am glad I had the opportunity to try such a bizarre concoction.

2.62/5  rDev -32.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Mikkeller 1000 Ibu, Imperial IPA 9.x% abv

A: Murky brown with little light passing through, exceptionally dark for the style, a white thick head with large bubbles

S: Strangely smells of figs, raisins, the scent is totally off for the style it seems more like a belgian tripel on the nose, boozy finish with a bit of wafting heat

T: This reigns itself in as an imperial IPA at the aftertaste, the front taste of it is sweet with notes of dark fruits, a confusing crossover beer that is far from an imperial IPA

M: Again, this whole endeavor feels like false advertising. You expect from the color and the head retention that this will be some huge malty Denogginizer experience, then the beer rushes quickly down and away without much lingering or coating. The only really exceptional part is the awesome barky aftertaste that has a ton of chinook. If there are 1000 IBUs in there, it is questionable whether they are working in tandem

D: This is not exceptionally pleasant and it is amongst the most disappointing mikkeller offerings and the 500ml for 13.99 further compounding my chagrin. It is not without its limited charms, but the prohibitive cost and strange crossover status makes it hard to place or recommend. I don't really understand the utility of 1000 ibu when most of it doesnt register on the human palate. It would be like a mixed media art exhibit with audio tones outside the human auditory range.

2.65/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

aaaahhh, shoot; I think I mighta got a bottle that just ain't up to snuff. Poured with a nice thick, foamy, frothy medium sized light tan head and some lace. Color is and yellowish brown with LOTS of tan chunks of sediment floating in suspension. Aroma is funky, leather, yeast, hops, butterscotch, caramel, malt, sweat. Flavor is pretty much like nose. Body is kind of heavy and well carbonated. Odd barnyard flavors in the finish that aren't that pleasing. Sure looks kinda crazy, like it's got a disease with spots. And what with the smell and taste... Ironically, maybe it's actually kind of healthy, what with all the yeastoids in it yet. I'd like to try another.

2.76/5  rDev -28.7%

A - Decent amount of particulate. Hazelnut ice tea bown with a khaki head that pours creamy and holds a good lace.

S - Mild pine. Slight BO off-aroma.

T - Not what I was expecting up front: sweet brown sugar and malt. The bitterness doesn't stand up and punch you in the face; it's a surprisingly slow, but incessant, ramp-up of pure bitter for about 20s with each sip. Behind the white noise are pine and tarragon hop characteristics.

M - The bitterness builds and ramps throughout the drink. Otherwise smooth with a medium body and sweet finish - sweet in a relative sense though, considering the intent wasn't exactly to ship a balanced beer : )

D - For my palate this was more of a novelty than a delight, but one I'm glad I had the opportunity to enjoy. The bitterness isn't as forward as some west coast IPA's, but it stacks on your palate pretty fiercely. For most, this'll be the last beer you drink for the night, or at the very least, the last beer you'll taste. That's not to say you shouldn't try it - just try it on the back end of the night.

2.87/5  rDev -25.8%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Shared by nickd717. Thanks Nick.

A: Pours a very sedimentary hazy golden body with very fluffy tan foam. Great retention.

S: A very American barleywine aroma. Candied grapefruit, tangerines, orange, spice, pine, and herbal aromas. Malt is quite strong in burnt caramel and sugar cookie aromas. A little booze sting.

T: Initially quite sweet: caramel, sugar cookie. Then hop flavors (but not a lot of hop bitterness) enters the picture: citrus, some pine, and a LOT of grass. The grass pulls into the aftertaste where it remains as a lingering mild bitterness.

M: I expected more bitterness, not that I would have enjoyed that. It's a little boozy, which makes sense now that I see it's almost 10%. Kind of chewy. Moderate carbonation.

D: It was interesting for the novelty, but on a pure flavor basis, this beer does nothing for me. Certainly nothing I'd go out of my way to drink again.

2.87/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into Duck rabbit snifter.

Pours a half finger of creamy head. Fades down fast but good retention after that. Leaves some nice lacing. Color is a very hazed orange copper.

Aroma: Massive hop profile. Sweet floral hops with some pine. Caramel flavors as well. I can't really tell this is 1000 ibus. Very unique aroma.

Taste: Massive floral hops. Basically like chewing on flowers. Lots of citrus, grapefruit. Lots of malts in there as well. Caramel flavors stick out the most.

Mouthfeel: Big bodied and chewy. Not as bitter as I was expecting, but still bitter. Decent amount of carbonation. Ends sticky.

Overall, I think this beer is somewhat of a joke. It can't possibly be near 1000 ibu. I really don't know what mik is trying to do with this beer. It is unique and worth a try I guess (if you want to pay the $13 a bottle). Somewhat drinkable.

2.92/5  rDev -24.5%

Paper wrapped, nonsense bottle.

A: Dark orange/brown, cloudy and muddy looking. Head is leaving nice lacing.

S: Aroma is full of grapefruit and pineapple. Hugely bitter. Citrus peel. A bit boozy with a pretty good malt backbone.

T: No bottle date, but even though 1000 IBU's is a joke to begin with...this is a joke if it's supposed to be overly bitter. Caramel with a touch of orange pith on the end. Lame.

M: Smooth, with a medium body. Begins sweet and doesn't really finish too hoppy. Would put this at about 50 IBU's.

O: Huge disappointment. Still waiting on a good Mikkeller. Not sure why I try more of their offerings. Not impressed with any really.

2.98/5  rDev -23%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Mikkeller 1000 IBU is a sweet bitter DIPA. It's a fun novelty beer but I would never choose to drink it again. Maybe it'd be different fresh... not sure.

A: Dark red colour and a 1 cm head that lasts very well. 4.5

S: Nice citrus hop aroma. Pretty strong but not complex. 4

T: Malty with immediate strong bitterness. It tastes like citrussy grass juice. It's not really that pleasant. Very sweet aftertaste. 2.5

M: A little flat for a DIPA. 2.5

O: 2.5

3.01/5  rDev -22.2%

375ml bottle. No date. Served in a tulip.

Pours a very hazy dirty light-brown. One and a half fingers of tan foam settles quickly and leaves a ring. Pretty ugly for a DIPA.

Aroma is equal parts orange citrus and bready malt. Some pineapple notes.

Flavor is exceptionally sweet for the style. Sugary malt kind of overpower the hops, which contribute some citrus but also a good bit of floral and herbal notes. Bitterness is more of a feel than a flavor. An OK taste, but very different from any DIPA I've had before. Way too sweet.

Full bodied and thick with medium carbonation. A bit of a slog to drink.

There are some strong components to this beer, but for a Mikkeller it's a disappointment, and not really to style.

3.06/5  rDev -20.9%

375ml bottle into a tulip

A: Deep amber color with a red hue. Excellent thick head that holds on for quite some time. It leaves a ton of lacing behind.

S: Wow. It smells really bitter and actually malty as hell. The hops are there but in more of the bitter sense then an aroma component. The heat from the alcohol is also present, in your face a bit.

T: No getting around the IBU's. The bittering hops smash the palate from start to finish. Scientifically the only way to get IBU's this high would be bittering hops. As a result there is a small window for flavor and aroma. Somewhere in the middle there is a hint of the sweet malt and I can even eek out some pine cones and spicy grass. It seems hot on the palate, but I am placing the blame on the bitterness! It comes off really astringent in the end.

M: I can't really tell because my tongue is so numb from the bitter hop blast. It seems relatively full bodied....

D: That is all folks. Worth a shot but not a beer that I will ever revisit. It is an interesting experiment, but 1000 IBU's says all you need to know, crazily out of balance!

3.07/5  rDev -20.7%

Generously shared by Yagman3000 at our first neighborhood tasting.

A - beer poured with a nice head. Deep amber almost brown, some visible sediment. Head was thin offwhite and didn't hang out long. Semi-sticky lacing leaves murky thin kayer on the top of the beer. Darker than I expected.

S - musty, hoppy. Little vanilla. Reminiscent of,thatloff caramel deschutes vibe. Sweaty hops...not grapefruit.

T - strong briskness at first then an all out assault of bitterness. Just bitterness for bitterness sake. A bit overpowering. As I drank this I got over the bitterness and it wasn't bad but not one to seek out.

M - body is surprisingly thin, but the bitterness squashes all else.

O - a novelty. One dimensional. I always say mikkeller is hit or miss. This is a bit of a miss for me. not a drainpour at all, but I was looking fir a delicious hop bomb and instead got a bitter bitter bitter, well that's it a bitter water.

3.08/5  rDev -20.4%

Big thanks to rudge75 at Half Pints for this.

Pours a dark cloudy orange. Nice thick head.

Pine on the nose. Not as "jump up and slap your face" as I was expecting.

Shockingly drinkable. I have to say I was a little bit scared, but it's really not as undrinkable as you would think. Pine right through to the end, but a nice helping of caramel to balance everything out. It's in the finish that you get that bitterness punch and it lasts until you clear it out.

Thick like syrup, contribues to the overall resinous experience.

A novelty, but not bad.

3.1/5  rDev -19.9%

Yet another interesting bottle shared by nickd717. Thanks, Nick.

Mikkeller's latest gimmick sits in the glass a cloudy dark copper color with a large, lasting and frothy head atop.

Resiny pine and grapefruit scents emanate from the glass, this is monstrously hoppy but equally malty. A substantial caramel malt backbone is present just beneath the hops, providing ample sweetness that I find slightly detracting.

Sweet caramel and pine flavors hit the palate with equal strength up front. The bitterness begins to take hold mid-palate, and it is an impressively long and bitter finish, though it's not necessarily more bitter than your average DIPA. Decent stuff, the sweetness does a lot to balance the hops. The only sign that this is hopped as heavily as it is comes from long bitter finish, which grows rather tiring and astringent after a few ounces.

3.11/5  rDev -19.6%

Received in a trade with my buddy in Illinois.

Appearance: Pours a dark and murky brown with a 1 finger thick light beige head that just does not want to recede. Holding it up to the light allows me to see a few floaties in suspension

Smell: Well it seems to me that the head is hiding the aroma and will just not go away. I'll get back to this part later. Head finally recedes and I am just met with some boozy scents and a little bit of dark fruit in the background.

Taste: While it is quite bitter off the bat, I am met with a bunch of conflicting flavors. Not a bad thing at all, shows me a lot of complexity which is more than I bargained for with a claim of 1000 IBUs. I catch some fruit flavors and ultimately by the end of the sip this beer is not bitter what so ever. Booziness comes out as it warms a little.

Mouthfeel: Little on the thick side but it works for this beer. Carbonation is there with a nice tingle. Later on the beer gets a little flat.

Overall: Would not revisit, another subpar offering from Mikkeller. I only say subpar because of the price, the beer was alright but not worth that price tag. I know it was from a trade but based on the price of other brews by Mikkeller I can say I would not buy it myself. I am glad I had the opportunity to try it

1000 IBU from Mikkeller ApS