1000 IBU - Mikkeller ApS

1000 IBU1000 IBU

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

Brewed at De Proefbrouwerij.

(Beer added by: Nickls on 03-16-2010)

1.5/5  rDev -61%

1.5/5  rDev -61%

1.6/5  rDev -58.4%

On tap at Max's before the Agalloch show. I ordered this so I could lower my rAvg.

Amber copper with a beige head with great retention and nice lacing, I can already tell this will be sweet. And that's what I first notice - overly sweet with a moderate hop bitterness with pinesol and grapefruit. The palate opens sweet, ridiculously slow, caramelized and sugary, revolting, even. Bitterness is high, bruising and harshly unpleasant. Full in body with a sweet and bitter finish, this is not even close to being a good beer. Maybe time will make this an acceptable barleywine, but I'm not counting on it.

1.68/5  rDev -56.4%

This beer pours with a thick head. Muddled aromas and hops and malt. Ruddy color with suspended particulates. The taste is of big, but unimpressive malt and a harsh bitterness that isn't particularly hoppy but is rough and lingers far to long.

Overall this is a complete failure of a beer. It is certainly not sn American double IPA, more like some failed attempt at an imperial red ale or something.

It seems to me that this should have been dumped rather than bottled for the public. I know if I'd have brewed it that's what I would have done. I'm sure it was an expensive beer to brew so maybe that wasn't an option.

1.7/5  rDev -55.8%

Pours a cloudy, dark orange/amber color. I got some off white head that faded very quickly.

NOT much of a "hop bomb." But plenty of malt on the nose. There are some hops, but there are more bready malts - YEASTY.

Medium bodied and OK but definetly not a true american DIPA.

Money better spent elsewhere.

1.75/5  rDev -54.5%

1.94/5  rDev -49.6%

Thanks to Sarah and Chris for picking this one up for me. Shared the bottle with fellow BA OKComputer, and it was a good thing I did. The beer was a cloudy orange brown color with no head or lace. The beer even looked syrupy.

That syrup was foremost on the nose, with some bitter hops following, a noticeable alcohol scent, and just the faintest hint of pine. The taste was nearly identical, with a bit of pine that didn't show on the nose.

The body was very thick, sticky and, you guessed it, syrupy, with an unpleasantly sticky finish. Drinkability was very low, near to a drain pour by both of our estimations. Overall, this is a novelty beer, and the gimmick isn't enough to carry the weight. Avoid this beer, unless, like me, you want the tick.

1.95/5  rDev -49.4%

A - Rusty-nail colored beer with yellow on the edges and a small white head that left some splotches on the sides with poor retention.

S - Ash, hops, rotten malts, caramel, sickly sweet sugar, more sugar, rubber and other gross smells. Kind of not good.

T - Tastes like vulcanized rubber, rotted vegetables, rotted pineapple, and bitter hops. This is disgusting and I am having a hard time getting it down.

M - Somewhat creamy, moderate carbonation, medium bodied.

O - Pretty gross beer, not as undrinkable as its BA Version, but bad nonetheless. Avoid.

Poured into a snifter.

Although I didn't get a "pop" from the cork, I did get about a finger of light tan head on a deep ruby beer. The head dropped, but left a nice wisp of foam and some lace.

Aroma is big, huge, gigantic with herbal, grassy notes and resinous hops, grapefruit, and pine. The vegetal quality really stands out, like the bottom of my brewpot after boiling a batch of wort. Very distinct aroma of unfermented wort.

First sip is bitter, almost a burnt quality, heavily vegetal. "Green" keeps popping into my mind. Some malty sweetness detected, but this is by no means balanced. Or even hop forward. This is "green" forward. Very grassy and vegetal. Not all that pleasant. Lingering finish is bitter and vegetable-like, like collard greens.

Mouthfeel is big, chewy, some astringency.

Not all that drinkable. I'm glad to have had the chance to try it, but don't think I'll be going back for seconds. Not a very pleasant beer. This experiment is interesting. The results tell you something (don't overpack the he hops too much over a calculated 100 IBU). But other than a curiousity, not much else there.

So bad.
Not good as an ipa or barleywine.
I couldn't finish my glass.

2.13/5  rDev -44.7%

Bottle purchased from Brawley's poured into a Delirium Tremens Snifter.

A- Pours an amber red with a finger khaki/off white head. Decent lacing. A lot of sediment in the bottom of this beer.

S - Honestly smells of straight alcohol. Not pleasant at all.

T- It doesn't have a huge bitterness to it, but the bitterness is all I taste. No complexity to this beer at all. It's all hops and nothing else.

M- Decently smooth beer. High carbonation with a strong bitterness throughout and even heavier in the after taste.

D- Burns going down. It tastes stronger than the ABV (even at 9.6%).

It was more of a novelty for me to buy it. It definitely wasn't worth the price but I had to try it simply because of the name "1000 IBU's." This beer won't be purchased again.

2.14/5  rDev -44.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

A full paper cover contains this bottle, which is a 12.7 fl oz green glass (come on, Mikkel!) bottle with appealing fun label art and an unbranded pry-off pressure cap. 9.6% ABV confirmed per the label. Reviewed as an imperial IPA becuase the label clearly identifies it as such. IBU: 1000 (yeah, right). Imported by the Shelton Bastards. Mikkel is my favourite brewer.

Served cold - straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

No liquid surges out upon opening.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a two finger wide head of gorgeous off-white colour. Very creamy and thick. Great even consistency and soft complexion. Retention is good - about 8-9 minutes. Lovely even consistent lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

Body colour is a murky opaque brownish caramel. Abundant yeast particles are visible. Not a real appealing colour.

Overall, it's not a flattering appearance for an imperial IPA. I'm optimistic, but it's not unique or special. There are no egregious flaws.

Sm: Floral hop character, biscuity yeast, pale malts, cream, grapefruit pith, and biscuit malt. Seems pretty bitter, but not particularly hoppy. Bready.

A decent aroma of moderate strength. I can't say I'm real excited to try it based on the aroma.

T: Bready malts, cream, heavy floral hop character, hop bitterness, biscuity yeast, grapefruit pith, and pale malts. It's quite resinous. Unremarkable tropical fruit (pineapple, mango, etc).

More balanced than anticipated, but still a damned mess. Average depth and duration of flavour. Below average intensity of flavour,though it does come on quite strong on the climax.

Cohesive, but far from gestalt. Lacks complexity, subtlety, intricacy, and nuance. I can't say I'm a big fan of it. There just isn't a lot going on, and I'm not horribly interested in what is.

At least it's not too soapy.

Honestly, it isn't as bitter as I expected. I've had far more bitter brews, some of which still had more balance than this does.

Mf: Creamy, smooth, and wet. Too thick. Somewhat hot, actually. Okay presence on the palate. Unrefreshing. Doesn't suit the flavour profile all that well.

Not gushed, harsh, astringent, or rough.

Dr: Downable but very forgettable. It does hide its ABV fairly well, but it's not up to par with Mikkel's best offerings. Nice to try once, but I wouldn't get it again or recommend it to friends. A bitter bomb with little to offer the discerning drinker. I'm glad I'm splitting this with a friend. Terrible imbalance is its undoing. Coming from my favourite brewer, it's a huge disappointment.

D

2.38/5  rDev -38.2%

12.7 oz bottle, date code 6721011, so 2/10/11?
Anyway, this pours a reddish brown that really glows behind some light...and illuminates quite a large amount of floaties (as such, I didn't pour the last oz in my glass initially, but failed anyway). Basically, the same deal as double crooked tree. The head is big, tan and hangs out for a while. The smell is that imperial ipa sweetness with some brown sugar richness and a bit of generic bitterness. It smells like an american barleywine. The front is the smooth sweetness that you get in a beer like 90 min, that finishes with a brutal bandaid twinged hop bitterness. There isn't so much a strong hop flavor as there is a wave of sweetness and then a punishing, almost flavorless bitterness (other than the off bandaid flavor). Ill bet this beer would be really good rated as a barleywine after sitting for 2 years. Right now, the taste is disappointing, and borderline just bad, outside of it being an interesting experiment. The bandaid element of the finish pushes it to 2.0 taste territory. Mouthfeel is medium heavy, medium carb. Seems fine. That finish strongly limits the drinkability. Share this one with a few friends if you really want to try it as it gets less appealing as you move through the bottle. But, maybe don't because it doesn't taste good.

2.38/5  rDev -38.2%

Poured up a rather cloudy caramel brown colour with a spotty, off-white head. Smell was very hoppy (citrusy), but not *as* outrageous as I was preparing myself for. Outside of the hops, there was little else.
Upon taking a sip, I involuntarily winced and thought to myself, "oh, *there* it is." This beer is "practical joke" hoppy. The level of pine resin in this is ridiculous. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that this beer is capable of etching the enamel off of your teeth.
The advertised 9,6%abv is well hidden, but it hardly seems worth mentioning considering how obscenely bitter this thing is. One can actually feel the sticky, resinous hop oils in the mouth.
This is certainly not for me. However, a friend of mine wanted to bring something unique to share with a small group, and I do believe he succeeded. While I didn't care for it, I am glad I had the opportunity to try such a bizarre concoction.

2.4/5  rDev -37.7%

2/28/11 poured from bottle into snifter glass.

A: Dark reddish brown with orange tinted 1 finger thick head. Moderate lacing down the glass, but not impressive.

S: Smell was a huge turn off for me. Strong malt flavors and brown sugar. Minimal noble style hops, but they're far overpowered by the malt.

T: Malty and bitter. All I can taste is brown sugar and crystal malts. The bitterness is there, but for something labeled 1000 IBU I was very disappointed in the bitterness. Some alcohol on the finish.

M: very thick and viscus, but had a moderately clean finish. Definitely the best part of the beer.

D: Not drinkable. Poured about 1/2 the $14 bottle down the drain. What a waste.

2.5/5  rDev -35.1%