1000 IBU - Mikkeller ApS

1000 IBU1000 IBU

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

Brewed at De Proefbrouwerij.

(Beer added by: Nickls on 03-16-2010)
4.2/5  rDev +8.5%

No bottle date. Picked this up from a store that said they had just gotten it.... So possibly fresh. Pours a light brown color. Much darker than most DIPAs I've had. The smell is amazing. Piney, floral, and loaded full of bitter aroma. The taste is actually a bit too much; I can def tell why this is named 1000 Ibu. Over all this is a pretty good beer. The malt tends to even the brew out a bit more than what I feel most "American" IPAs have going for them. Good brew!

HOPPYKC, Dec 24, 2011

pavpav12, Dec 03, 2011

jenray, Nov 28, 2011

SolThomas, Nov 26, 2011
3.33/5  rDev -14%

Poured a dark non-translucent brown that had a good amount of sediment. It poured very little head, almost nothing. It definitely smells of hops but is also very malty as well as piney with a hint of green tea. It is very bitter. It is also quite syruppy and slightly boozy. The taste leaves a dry, bitter taste, reminiscint of chewing on an unused tea bag. I was reeled in by the name and although it's a decent beer, I probably will not be revisiting this one.

rmcnealy, Nov 25, 2011

HopStoopid120, Nov 16, 2011
2.25/5  rDev -41.9%

westcoastbeerlvr, Nov 15, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +8.5%

The green 12.7 bottle was corked, caged, and wrapped in paper. thus preventing any possibility of skunking in this hop monster. Of course the first thing that grabbed my attention was the 1000 IBU name and claim to fame. When poured first, the beer looked murky brown with haze due to small particles. As I poured in the final few ounces, out came chucks of yeast, that stayed in suspension. The head atop looked very creamy and craggy. While the look didn't scream DIPA, the smell from the moment of uncorking, up to the first sip certainly did. The aroma was very spicy and piney. The first taste as bitter as they come, with my teeth feeling the hop acids eating into them. Very tongue tingling and somewhat minty in flavor as well. The malt was simple and unobtrusive. The finish was herbal and bitter. The beer felt a bit thinner than a typical DIPA to me, and lacked that certain stickiness I see in some of the best ones. I liked the idea, and there were no obvious flaws here, but I would have liked to see some more interesting malt bill.

rajendra82, Nov 06, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +4.7%

I remember when I heard they were getting a keg of this at my bar and I couldn't wait for them to finally put it on. As a huge hop head I couldn't wait for the experience that was to come. I know that the mouth can't actually perceive 1000 ibus, but this gets you pretty close to what that experience would be like. Makes your head want to explode with hoppy bitterness.

The beer pours a hazy beige with a nice creamy head. Some lacing, but not overly impressive.

The nose is of course hoppy. Alot of pine resin and hop oil coming through. I can't really smell the malts on this, but I may have inhaled too deeply and burned my olfactory sensors out on all the hops. lol.

The taste was definitly hoppy. Pine hops,a ton of hop oils and some alcohol solvency, but not much. The beer finishes with some citrusy notes. The hops overpower everything in this beer. You couldn't start your night off with this, or you wouldn't be able to taste anything else the rest of the night. There isn't enough water to cleanse the palate from being hop fried... but what do you expect from a beer called 1000 IBU's?

osusullins, Oct 30, 2011
3.45/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a brown amber colour with beige floaties. Head is uneventful with light cloud and nice sticky but thin lace. Not sure about the floaties but otherwise good.

Mega-hoppy nose, with lots of citrus notes; big lemony aroma with grapefruit, rosewater and sherbet. Not much else to it apart from hops, but decent. Not quite as pungent as I'd have though, which after drinking the 1000IBU Light I'm quite happy about, actually.

Taste starts tangy with hops that develop quickly and surely to produce massive hop-bomb palate. Bit of malt underlying provides welcome balance without being really noticeable on the flavour profile. Massively bitter beginning midway with decent floral notes, lots of citrus - lemon and grapefruit, sherbet, rosewater and slight ashy pull with deep bitterness. Too many hops still so I don't really love it, it's a bit overblown, but it's surprisingly drinkable for its big, aggressive bitterness.

Full body at the front but lots of dry pull on the back from the alpha acids. OK.

An experiment, more than anything, but having had the 1000 IBU light first I can safely say don't bother with that unbalanced mess and go with this, this is quite enjoyable for its extremeness.

laituegonflable, Oct 09, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +2.1%

Bottle split with @LaitueGonflable at Pumphouse Bar in Sydney.

Pours a very cloudy, and very sediment-laden orange-brown colour, although the brown possibly comes from the cloud and sediment. Very fine yellow-white head. Lacing is fine and grainy, sticking in patches to the glass. Very thick in the body—the sediment sits heavily suspended. Looks pretty impressive.

Nose is lively—big, sharp, resinous hop characters with overtones of citrus. Lots of malt sweetness as well to cup and cradle it. Nice.

Taste is also good, but the bitterness is indeed pretty intense. The feel, more than anything help here—it's smooth and creamy, and cushions the green, sharp, piney hop-resin craziness. The hop-slick sits on the back of the palate, lingering and making each sip seem more intense than the last.

I'd only had the 1000 IBU light to this point, and I have to say, this is way, way better, even if it does still goad and torment me. The feel really helps here, and the sweetness that does exist, while far from being the dominant character, does manage to claw back some decency.

lacqueredmouse, Oct 08, 2011
4.15/5  rDev +7.2%

A fellow reviewer scoffs at the idea of IBUs being perceivable over the mark of 100. I have read a little on this debate and I might agree with the idea. When I found this beer at my local package-goods liquor store, I was taken aback by the name 1000 IBU. "Well, if a brewer can make a 1000-IBU-beer," I thought, "Mikeller might be able to do it."
Well, I took the bait. Though I'm glad that it wasn't at a bar. There's nothing worse than an over-priced beer at a bar that comes in a snifter glass. Brother! Do I feel sorry for you all being served a 6-ounce pour for $10. (I just hope that someone feels sorry for me that I paid $13 for a 12-ounce pour.)
I think that Brother Paperbackfoster nails this beer on the head. It's bitterness destroys your mouth. It's a beer to end the night on, no doubt. Let me return to the over-experience sense of bar-life: no doubt some pour mouth had to be force-fed this beer at "last call". In the words of Hannibal as he crossed west along the African Mediterranean "Torture is also an experience."
I like to start my IPA and beers-the-like ice-cold. Beers of such hoppiness, I feel, go through dramatic taste-change as they warm. Therefore, I like to create a full temp-spectrum -serving ice-cold and allowing it to warm throughout.
Aromas are crisp pine at first. Michael Jackson often refers to hoppy beers as "Oily" and this is it. As the beer warms, it is indeed oily on the palate and through the nose. But I think that this is also the alcohol esters.
At its last moments in my 2-lb / 15oz glass goblet, this beer is bark-like, almost a mouth-full of cedar. It also feels like moss is growing through-out my mouth. If I had gingivitis, then I'm sure it's there no more.

Atmosbeer, Sep 19, 2011
3.78/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A - A ruddy, clay colored amber carries a storm of sediment out of the bottle. Perfectly natural, desired by plenty, but the presentation was a little off-putting to me. It looks a bit like I’m about to drink what I strain out of my wort. That said, the head comes up to a solid three fingers, reducing to an uneven, clumpy half-finger head with extremely sticky retention. A small child could make a meal out of the scrapings of this glass.

S - A tang of pungent hops, but not the powerhouse you’d expect from the amped up 1000 IBU. A slight cheesy scent makes me wonder if this bottle, despite the paper, saw some sunlight before it hit the store.

T - While hops and malt shouldn’t be so polarized, I know, it’s easy to commend this beer for having a balanced, toffee malt body. Advertised as a hop bandit of exponential IBU, you don’t exactly expect anything but hop character. The toffee interacts to form a flat bitterness, a welcome one. The hops are resinous and piney, with a very dark character - pungent, spicy, woody, with a nut character. For those that like the bittering additions of an imperial IPA, this is a great experimental beer. For those that are hunting for that occasional floral finish in an IPA, this leaves some to be desired. (As a totally professional and scholarly side note: this is the only beer where you can pick up an entirely new, herbal palette from a post-sip burp.)

M - Prepare to have your palette wrecked. Tangy, acidic bitterness and a hop character that pretty much ends your beer’ing for the day. Don’t get me wrong - I really enjoy this aspect. It’s a one-and-done experience, but one worth trying.

O - Definitely a beer experiment, and that’s what one needs to keep in mind when heading into 1000 IBU. It’s not even a hophead’s dream, as you may expect. It’s an experience to take part in, for good or ill. I can think of few other beers with a uniquely tailored mouthfeel such as this one, and even some “extreme” chili beers and their ilk fall into a different category for me. This is toying with the acidity of hops at all stages for a pungent party in your mouth - no place in a session, but great fun for an idle hour or two some afternoon.

paperbackfoster, Sep 12, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +9%

Poured from a 32 oz. growler from Beverage World into a Dogfish Head lazer etched snifter:

A - A cloudy amber with a thick, slightly tan foamy head that lowered but lingered with a thick, frothy foam remaining on top and good residual lacing all down the side.

S - Citrusy, piney hops with a sweet floral malt dominate. Grassy and herbal aromas give may to a lingering alcohol and resinous bite. Pineapple and orangeblossom punctuate the hoppy nose.

T - Rich, sweet, and aggressively bitter. This beer got its name from a good place. The hop oils give the beer an almost oily quality and herbal and pine flavors abound. The flavors linger for a very long time, giving way after a good 30 to 45 seconds and finishing with a spicy pinecone and lemon essence. While there are malts somewhere in here, the 1000 IBUs overpower them bigtime. The beer also has a sort of meaty character, chewy almost.

M - Bitter and bitter, oh, and bitter. The hop oils really give the beer a strong mouthcoating that lingers long after the sip.

O - One helluva Imperial IPA. Really strong outing if you can handle the bitter. The brewers must have just poured hops oil in by the gallonfull because it shows in the flavor, mouthfeel, and overall bitterness.

doopydoogle, Sep 03, 2011