1000 IBU - Mikkeller ApS

1000 IBU1000 IBU

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

Brewed at De Proefbrouwerij.

(Beer added by: Nickls on 03-16-2010)

jenray, Nov 28, 2011

SolThomas, Nov 26, 2011
3.33/5  rDev -14%

Poured a dark non-translucent brown that had a good amount of sediment. It poured very little head, almost nothing. It definitely smells of hops but is also very malty as well as piney with a hint of green tea. It is very bitter. It is also quite syruppy and slightly boozy. The taste leaves a dry, bitter taste, reminiscint of chewing on an unused tea bag. I was reeled in by the name and although it's a decent beer, I probably will not be revisiting this one.

rmcnealy, Nov 25, 2011

HopStoopid120, Nov 16, 2011
2.25/5  rDev -41.9%

westcoastbeerlvr, Nov 15, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +8.5%

The green 12.7 bottle was corked, caged, and wrapped in paper. thus preventing any possibility of skunking in this hop monster. Of course the first thing that grabbed my attention was the 1000 IBU name and claim to fame. When poured first, the beer looked murky brown with haze due to small particles. As I poured in the final few ounces, out came chucks of yeast, that stayed in suspension. The head atop looked very creamy and craggy. While the look didn't scream DIPA, the smell from the moment of uncorking, up to the first sip certainly did. The aroma was very spicy and piney. The first taste as bitter as they come, with my teeth feeling the hop acids eating into them. Very tongue tingling and somewhat minty in flavor as well. The malt was simple and unobtrusive. The finish was herbal and bitter. The beer felt a bit thinner than a typical DIPA to me, and lacked that certain stickiness I see in some of the best ones. I liked the idea, and there were no obvious flaws here, but I would have liked to see some more interesting malt bill.

rajendra82, Nov 06, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +4.7%

I remember when I heard they were getting a keg of this at my bar and I couldn't wait for them to finally put it on. As a huge hop head I couldn't wait for the experience that was to come. I know that the mouth can't actually perceive 1000 ibus, but this gets you pretty close to what that experience would be like. Makes your head want to explode with hoppy bitterness.

The beer pours a hazy beige with a nice creamy head. Some lacing, but not overly impressive.

The nose is of course hoppy. Alot of pine resin and hop oil coming through. I can't really smell the malts on this, but I may have inhaled too deeply and burned my olfactory sensors out on all the hops. lol.

The taste was definitly hoppy. Pine hops,a ton of hop oils and some alcohol solvency, but not much. The beer finishes with some citrusy notes. The hops overpower everything in this beer. You couldn't start your night off with this, or you wouldn't be able to taste anything else the rest of the night. There isn't enough water to cleanse the palate from being hop fried... but what do you expect from a beer called 1000 IBU's?

osusullins, Oct 30, 2011
3.45/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a brown amber colour with beige floaties. Head is uneventful with light cloud and nice sticky but thin lace. Not sure about the floaties but otherwise good.

Mega-hoppy nose, with lots of citrus notes; big lemony aroma with grapefruit, rosewater and sherbet. Not much else to it apart from hops, but decent. Not quite as pungent as I'd have though, which after drinking the 1000IBU Light I'm quite happy about, actually.

Taste starts tangy with hops that develop quickly and surely to produce massive hop-bomb palate. Bit of malt underlying provides welcome balance without being really noticeable on the flavour profile. Massively bitter beginning midway with decent floral notes, lots of citrus - lemon and grapefruit, sherbet, rosewater and slight ashy pull with deep bitterness. Too many hops still so I don't really love it, it's a bit overblown, but it's surprisingly drinkable for its big, aggressive bitterness.

Full body at the front but lots of dry pull on the back from the alpha acids. OK.

An experiment, more than anything, but having had the 1000 IBU light first I can safely say don't bother with that unbalanced mess and go with this, this is quite enjoyable for its extremeness.

laituegonflable, Oct 09, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +2.1%

Bottle split with @LaitueGonflable at Pumphouse Bar in Sydney.

Pours a very cloudy, and very sediment-laden orange-brown colour, although the brown possibly comes from the cloud and sediment. Very fine yellow-white head. Lacing is fine and grainy, sticking in patches to the glass. Very thick in the body—the sediment sits heavily suspended. Looks pretty impressive.

Nose is lively—big, sharp, resinous hop characters with overtones of citrus. Lots of malt sweetness as well to cup and cradle it. Nice.

Taste is also good, but the bitterness is indeed pretty intense. The feel, more than anything help here—it's smooth and creamy, and cushions the green, sharp, piney hop-resin craziness. The hop-slick sits on the back of the palate, lingering and making each sip seem more intense than the last.

I'd only had the 1000 IBU light to this point, and I have to say, this is way, way better, even if it does still goad and torment me. The feel really helps here, and the sweetness that does exist, while far from being the dominant character, does manage to claw back some decency.

lacqueredmouse, Oct 08, 2011
4.15/5  rDev +7.2%

A fellow reviewer scoffs at the idea of IBUs being perceivable over the mark of 100. I have read a little on this debate and I might agree with the idea. When I found this beer at my local package-goods liquor store, I was taken aback by the name 1000 IBU. "Well, if a brewer can make a 1000-IBU-beer," I thought, "Mikeller might be able to do it."
Well, I took the bait. Though I'm glad that it wasn't at a bar. There's nothing worse than an over-priced beer at a bar that comes in a snifter glass. Brother! Do I feel sorry for you all being served a 6-ounce pour for $10. (I just hope that someone feels sorry for me that I paid $13 for a 12-ounce pour.)
I think that Brother Paperbackfoster nails this beer on the head. It's bitterness destroys your mouth. It's a beer to end the night on, no doubt. Let me return to the over-experience sense of bar-life: no doubt some pour mouth had to be force-fed this beer at "last call". In the words of Hannibal as he crossed west along the African Mediterranean "Torture is also an experience."
I like to start my IPA and beers-the-like ice-cold. Beers of such hoppiness, I feel, go through dramatic taste-change as they warm. Therefore, I like to create a full temp-spectrum -serving ice-cold and allowing it to warm throughout.
Aromas are crisp pine at first. Michael Jackson often refers to hoppy beers as "Oily" and this is it. As the beer warms, it is indeed oily on the palate and through the nose. But I think that this is also the alcohol esters.
At its last moments in my 2-lb / 15oz glass goblet, this beer is bark-like, almost a mouth-full of cedar. It also feels like moss is growing through-out my mouth. If I had gingivitis, then I'm sure it's there no more.

Atmosbeer, Sep 19, 2011
3.78/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A - A ruddy, clay colored amber carries a storm of sediment out of the bottle. Perfectly natural, desired by plenty, but the presentation was a little off-putting to me. It looks a bit like I’m about to drink what I strain out of my wort. That said, the head comes up to a solid three fingers, reducing to an uneven, clumpy half-finger head with extremely sticky retention. A small child could make a meal out of the scrapings of this glass.

S - A tang of pungent hops, but not the powerhouse you’d expect from the amped up 1000 IBU. A slight cheesy scent makes me wonder if this bottle, despite the paper, saw some sunlight before it hit the store.

T - While hops and malt shouldn’t be so polarized, I know, it’s easy to commend this beer for having a balanced, toffee malt body. Advertised as a hop bandit of exponential IBU, you don’t exactly expect anything but hop character. The toffee interacts to form a flat bitterness, a welcome one. The hops are resinous and piney, with a very dark character - pungent, spicy, woody, with a nut character. For those that like the bittering additions of an imperial IPA, this is a great experimental beer. For those that are hunting for that occasional floral finish in an IPA, this leaves some to be desired. (As a totally professional and scholarly side note: this is the only beer where you can pick up an entirely new, herbal palette from a post-sip burp.)

M - Prepare to have your palette wrecked. Tangy, acidic bitterness and a hop character that pretty much ends your beer’ing for the day. Don’t get me wrong - I really enjoy this aspect. It’s a one-and-done experience, but one worth trying.

O - Definitely a beer experiment, and that’s what one needs to keep in mind when heading into 1000 IBU. It’s not even a hophead’s dream, as you may expect. It’s an experience to take part in, for good or ill. I can think of few other beers with a uniquely tailored mouthfeel such as this one, and even some “extreme” chili beers and their ilk fall into a different category for me. This is toying with the acidity of hops at all stages for a pungent party in your mouth - no place in a session, but great fun for an idle hour or two some afternoon.

paperbackfoster, Sep 12, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +9%

Poured from a 32 oz. growler from Beverage World into a Dogfish Head lazer etched snifter:

A - A cloudy amber with a thick, slightly tan foamy head that lowered but lingered with a thick, frothy foam remaining on top and good residual lacing all down the side.

S - Citrusy, piney hops with a sweet floral malt dominate. Grassy and herbal aromas give may to a lingering alcohol and resinous bite. Pineapple and orangeblossom punctuate the hoppy nose.

T - Rich, sweet, and aggressively bitter. This beer got its name from a good place. The hop oils give the beer an almost oily quality and herbal and pine flavors abound. The flavors linger for a very long time, giving way after a good 30 to 45 seconds and finishing with a spicy pinecone and lemon essence. While there are malts somewhere in here, the 1000 IBUs overpower them bigtime. The beer also has a sort of meaty character, chewy almost.

M - Bitter and bitter, oh, and bitter. The hop oils really give the beer a strong mouthcoating that lingers long after the sip.

O - One helluva Imperial IPA. Really strong outing if you can handle the bitter. The brewers must have just poured hops oil in by the gallonfull because it shows in the flavor, mouthfeel, and overall bitterness.

doopydoogle, Sep 03, 2011
3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

Thanks to Chris@Slowbeer. Bottle into a Tripel Karmelit tulip.

Bronze-orange crowned by a monolithic beige head of fine bubbles. Retreats gradually, depositing a healthy web of lace.

Not as intense as expected, but certainly strong hop notes of pine resin, mandarin, rocket, cut herbs and cleaning product. Plenty of tangy and caramel malts underneath. Doesn't strike me as at all subversive, yet - just appetising.

Taste is even better. There's a citrus blast initially, underneath it are tropical notes of pineapple and mango. Plenty of lemon sherbet and candied malt character too. IBUs are conspicuous no doubt, but don't beat you into submission.

Full, but a little prickly with medium carbonation. Enduring bitterness on the mid and rear as expected and quite astringent.

After finding the 1000IBU Light a pile of nonsense, I had low expectations for this, but it surprised me by how approachable it was. Definitely challenges the palate with the bitterness, but not to the extent that it damages the hop and malt profile.

spicelab, Aug 27, 2011
3.75/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On draft – into a snifter

Appearance- Orange/amber color with a finger of creamy head, which left thick lacing behind.

Smell- Lots of pine with some citrus thrown in, fairly resinous and a little caramel malt balancing it out.

Taste- Starts out with caramel malt up front, then you are smacked with the hops. Citrus first; pineapple and grapefruit. Then turning into an evergreen forest, tons of pine, some sap, and pretty resinous. The linger is straight up dank weed. (After the first few ounces, you no longer notice any of the caramel malt)

Mouthfeel- Creamy body, then turning super dry, with an extremely bitter linger. (I ate a whole hop cone once, and couldnt really taste anything for a few hours, this is every bit as bitter)

Overall- Good overall, though it does become fairly one note after a while. One glass is plenty enough at a time, though I would drink it again. Much better on draft then the split bottle I had a little while back.

JLeege, Aug 14, 2011
3.35/5  rDev -13.4%

An IBU is an "International Bittering Unit". And if your beer has 35-45, maybe it's a pale ale or something else easy-drinking. If you're having an IPA, maybe 65-75. Super hoppy? Maybe around 90 IBU's. But you don't really perceive past 100. Mikkeller made this beer with 1000.

In short, Mikkeller has crafted the beer equivalent of the dubstep music genre.

It's too dark for any IPA I'd expect. Hardly much head, and not too much lace, the beer basically wobwobwobWOBWOBWObwubwubwoobbWOBwobwobwobwobWOBWOBwumpwump looks like something other than the imperial IPA that the bottle says it is. It smells hoppy wobwobwumpbumpBUMPWOOOOHAWBwubwub with spikes of pine, grass and grapefruit - but they get swallowed by malt in the taste. WOMPWOMPwubwubwubwubWUBWUB. Sugar, rancid sugar, burnt sugar, burnt toast. It's complex in a weird way. But not great.

Medium mouthfeel, high alcohol and a somewhat clean finish leave 1000IBU moderately drinkable, but I'm not sure if I really want to, even if I didn't have to get past the purchase price.

Plus it's not as good as dubstep, though it sure does taste like it.

wOMPWOMPwubwubwubWOMPWOMPwubwubwub

afksports, Aug 06, 2011
3.78/5  rDev -2.3%

375 ML poured into a Mikkeller Tulip. Go figure!

A-- Poured a deep, hazy burnt orange color. Had visible sediment when settled. Light sandpaper color that was one finger in height and quickly went to a few bits of broken foam. Lots of stickly lacing on the sides of the glass. Good head retention to this. Holds its shape well even though it fades.

S-- Fresh orange marmalade and a big Carmel backbone. Some grapefruit and some lime. More impressed with the backbone to this.

T-- Overload on hops. Orange, grapefruit and more of it. Am I eating a hop or drinking a beer? Pungent and more pungent. Sweaty is a word I would use, as well as eating a whole flower. Interesting.

M-- Carmel s more butterscotch really. Pretty sweet backbone. Over ripe pink grapefruit over the top orange and touches of lemon and lime. Back of the mouth the beer does smooth out and the bitterness does drop off, somewhat. Low carbonation and obvious heavy feel. Thick and chewy.

O-- Once I got over the bitterness and the aspect of every hop in the world in this it works on a bunch of levels. Very one dimensional but a good dimension. A sipper but once I got used to it I liked it.

mulder1010, Aug 01, 2011

Generously shared by Yagman3000 at our first neighborhood tasting.

A - beer poured with a nice head. Deep amber almost brown, some visible sediment. Head was thin offwhite and didn't hang out long. Semi-sticky lacing leaves murky thin kayer on the top of the beer. Darker than I expected.

S - musty, hoppy. Little vanilla. Reminiscent of,thatloff caramel deschutes vibe. Sweaty hops...not grapefruit.

T - strong briskness at first then an all out assault of bitterness. Just bitterness for bitterness sake. A bit overpowering. As I drank this I got over the bitterness and it wasn't bad but not one to seek out.

M - body is surprisingly thin, but the bitterness squashes all else.

O - a novelty. One dimensional. I always say mikkeller is hit or miss. This is a bit of a miss for me. not a drainpour at all, but I was looking fir a delicious hop bomb and instead got a bitter bitter bitter, well that's it a bitter water.

cosmicevan, Jul 08, 2011
3.4/5  rDev -12.1%

Served from a bottle into a beer goblet.

Appears much darker than I imagined it would be. Rather brown with noticed sediment. I also see a foamy head that maintains at rest in top.

The smell has definite hops in it with a pleasing bitterness but also has a mustiness that can't be ignored.

Taste is disappointing. I referred to it as a "karate chop of bitterness" without too much complexity. Not a well-rounded flavor.

Mouthfeel is short, dry, and musty.

I'm happy I finally got to try this but I won't be a grabbing a second, sir. :(

Yagman3000, Jul 08, 2011
4.28/5  rDev +10.6%

This beer pours out as a copper like color with a foamy white head. It has a decent lacing down the glass. The smell reminded me of leather and hops, it's actually a little strange certain smells that I don't recall ever having smelled before. The taste of this beer is unlike anything I think I've ever had, it's very strong and has a lot of flavor to it the mouth feel is on the thicker side a little bit of oily texture to it and has a decent carbonation. Overall I find this beers pretty unique and I did enjoy it but it was expensive and I can't see myself paying for again

Knapp85, Jul 03, 2011
3.33/5  rDev -14%

Bottle found at Khourys Liquor in Las Vegas, NV. Poured into a snifter.

Appearance- it's a dark orange honey color. Not much head, but creamy looking.

Smell- it has a resin type sweetness, malt notes, a bit of forest like hop note...not very strong of a hop smell. Surprisingly not heavy on hops which I thought would be prevalent.

Taste- taste is definitely hoppy. It evolves into a few stages of bitterness- a orange peel type of bitter, then grassy, then a medicinal almost quality and leaves a lingering back on the throat bitter. That's the only time I taste a bit of the characteristics I smelled. The front has a mild sweetness left on the palette while the back contains the bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- Theres mild carbonation in the front which is fine and helps the hops flavors develop. I am not too sure I like the after effects of the sip...the back of the throat bitter is really lingering in an unpleasant way. It's almost stuck to the back of the throat making it feel dry yet wet from salivating at the same time.

Drinkability- Hrmm...? Share this bottle with a friend perhaps. I don't really find this to be very pleasant enough to even finish my half. It's wrecking my throat and mouth without much enjoyable payoff.

I am impressed that there is a "drinkable" 1000IBU beer, however I am not sold on it. There are other mean hop machines out there I'm happy with thats easily attainable. Glad I got one, but this is one for the "I've had that!" list and not to be bought again.

Provocajade, Jun 26, 2011
3.23/5  rDev -16.5%

Draft at Farmers' Cabinet.

Pours a hazy dark copper color that is completely opaque with dark golden orange hues and a two finger creamy white head.  Good retention coating the glass with soapy lacing.

Dry earthy hop aroma with resinous pine and a boat load of sweet malt.   Lots of caramel and toffee but the hops are still prevalent.

Full bodied with a dry, earthy pine hops .  Kind of like biting into bark with a very dry bitter flavor that lingers throughout.  A ton of malt in the backbone with lots of sweet hints of caramel, toffee, biscuit and nut.  Lots of booze especially in the finish.  Faint citrus and tropical fruit notes.  Intense, boozy and very dry with too strong of a malt presence.

corby112, Jun 24, 2011