1000 IBU - Mikkeller ApS

1000 IBU1000 IBU

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

Brewed at De Proefbrouwerij.

(Beer added by: Nickls on 03-16-2010)
3.78/5  rDev -2.3%

A-hazy red with nice head retention
S-smells like old hops, almost fruity
T-very sweet maltiness. His definetley has some age on it but it doesn't detract from the beer at all.
M-medium bodied and very smooth
O-interesting idea. OK beer. More like a barley wine than an I pa.

brew3crew, Mar 26, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours a very hazy brownish orange. A good amount of white head. Very thick and almost syrupy. Smells sweet and hoppy. Very sweet. Tastes bitter and so hoppy its more like syrup. Sweet and tastes almost like hop extract. Super bitter and very tasty for what it is. Not that great but for what it is it's surprisingly good.

Urbancaver, Mar 25, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

Had on tap at crunchy's in east lansing.

A: Pours a hazy amber with red hues and two fingers of head that lasts for an eternity.

S: Hops, and...?

T: Hops, hops and hops. Hops up front in the middle and finish. Sweet at times but mostly hops. But what do you expect from IBU's this high.

M: Medium body with great carbonation.

O: Glad I was able to try this on tap, but I could'nt finish this one.

jale, Mar 25, 2011
1.6/5  rDev -58.7%

On tap at Max's before the Agalloch show. I ordered this so I could lower my rAvg.

Amber copper with a beige head with great retention and nice lacing, I can already tell this will be sweet. And that's what I first notice - overly sweet with a moderate hop bitterness with pinesol and grapefruit. The palate opens sweet, ridiculously slow, caramelized and sugary, revolting, even. Bitterness is high, bruising and harshly unpleasant. Full in body with a sweet and bitter finish, this is not even close to being a good beer. Maybe time will make this an acceptable barleywine, but I'm not counting on it.

DefenCorps, Mar 24, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +14.5%

A: Rich copper color that's a bit cloudly. Fair amount of sediment floating throughout, appears to be maybe bits of hop, possibly from dry hopping.

S: Floral at first. Hops really hit you, but can smell the malt coming through. Enjoyable smell.

T: 1000 IBU's, which obviously is far beyond the human threshold for taste. Very bitter. Enjoyable. Hit with the hops taste, the bitterness lingers for a long time after drinking. Not balanced, but obviously they weren't going for balance.

M: Mouthfeel is a bit on the heavy side. But not offensive.

Overall, I enjoyed this beer. It's not anymore bitter than other IPA's I've had, so the 1000 IBU's thing is just a gimmick. Would buy again.

Oneeighthcuban, Mar 22, 2011
3.15/5  rDev -18.6%

Received in a trade with my buddy in Illinois.

Appearance: Pours a dark and murky brown with a 1 finger thick light beige head that just does not want to recede. Holding it up to the light allows me to see a few floaties in suspension

Smell: Well it seems to me that the head is hiding the aroma and will just not go away. I'll get back to this part later. Head finally recedes and I am just met with some boozy scents and a little bit of dark fruit in the background.

Taste: While it is quite bitter off the bat, I am met with a bunch of conflicting flavors. Not a bad thing at all, shows me a lot of complexity which is more than I bargained for with a claim of 1000 IBUs. I catch some fruit flavors and ultimately by the end of the sip this beer is not bitter what so ever. Booziness comes out as it warms a little.

Mouthfeel: Little on the thick side but it works for this beer. Carbonation is there with a nice tingle. Later on the beer gets a little flat.

Overall: Would not revisit, another subpar offering from Mikkeller. I only say subpar because of the price, the beer was alright but not worth that price tag. I know it was from a trade but based on the price of other brews by Mikkeller I can say I would not buy it myself. I am glad I had the opportunity to try it

OddNotion, Mar 22, 2011
3.78/5  rDev -2.3%

Review from notes 3/12/11. Thanks to THECPJ for splitting this one.

A: Pours a dark orange with lots of sediment and floaties. Fortunately, most of the sediment was left inside the bottle. A huge 2.5 finger white head formed and had great retention with spotty lacing.

S: Was expecting some overpowering citrus hops, but the aroma was floral and piney. A decent sized caramel malt backbone aroma comes in at the end.

T: Lots of oily hops, not overly bitter though. Dominated by the hops as expected, but there is a sizeable malt component to keep everything in check..sort of.

M: Had a slightly syrupy mouthfeel, extremely dry though, felt like it was sucking the moisture out of my mouth.

O: Not as much of a hop bomb as I was expecting, especially based on the name. Definitely unique, and overall pretty good. Glad to have had it, but probably won't pick it up again due to the price point.

mdaschaf, Mar 20, 2011
3.85/5  rDev -0.5%

Reviewed from notes:

appearance: copper orange with a 2 finger chunky off white head

smell: citrus, floral, hops lots of hops, malts

taste: wasn't exactly sure if this was actually 1000 ibu's but the taste was much better then expected. floral & citrus hops with sweet malts, decently balanced considering the name. and the finish sucks all the moisture out of your mouth.

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body

drinkability: definitely not a beer I would seek out. but the novelty behind it was great enough that I had to give it a try and I'm glad I did.

cheers,
The CPJ

THECPJ, Mar 13, 2011
2.38/5  rDev -38.5%

12.7 oz bottle, date code 6721011, so 2/10/11?
Anyway, this pours a reddish brown that really glows behind some light...and illuminates quite a large amount of floaties (as such, I didn't pour the last oz in my glass initially, but failed anyway). Basically, the same deal as double crooked tree. The head is big, tan and hangs out for a while. The smell is that imperial ipa sweetness with some brown sugar richness and a bit of generic bitterness. It smells like an american barleywine. The front is the smooth sweetness that you get in a beer like 90 min, that finishes with a brutal bandaid twinged hop bitterness. There isn't so much a strong hop flavor as there is a wave of sweetness and then a punishing, almost flavorless bitterness (other than the off bandaid flavor). Ill bet this beer would be really good rated as a barleywine after sitting for 2 years. Right now, the taste is disappointing, and borderline just bad, outside of it being an interesting experiment. The bandaid element of the finish pushes it to 2.0 taste territory. Mouthfeel is medium heavy, medium carb. Seems fine. That finish strongly limits the drinkability. Share this one with a few friends if you really want to try it as it gets less appealing as you move through the bottle. But, maybe don't because it doesn't taste good.

seeswo, Mar 12, 2011
3.2/5  rDev -17.3%

Pours a ruby red with a brown hue. Huge, great looking head. Pure looking pearl white with hints of red and brown. Stays with the beer throughout and lines the glass. Aroma not what I was expecting. Mostly malt scents. Caramel, dark fruits, cherry. This one is bitter for the sake of being bitter. Little or no cohesion to the flavor profile. Pine, hints of citrus and some English malts in the flavor. Bitter throughout and then the pine bitterness attacks again on the finish. Off-putting. This isn't really a big hoppy beer, just a bitter beer.

uustal, Mar 10, 2011
1.68/5  rDev -56.6%

This beer pours with a thick head. Muddled aromas and hops and malt. Ruddy color with suspended particulates. The taste is of big, but unimpressive malt and a harsh bitterness that isn't particularly hoppy but is rough and lingers far to long.

Overall this is a complete failure of a beer. It is certainly not sn American double IPA, more like some failed attempt at an imperial red ale or something.

It seems to me that this should have been dumped rather than bottled for the public. I know if I'd have brewed it that's what I would have done. I'm sure it was an expensive beer to brew so maybe that wasn't an option.

ChrisPr, Mar 07, 2011
2.4/5  rDev -38%

2/28/11 poured from bottle into snifter glass.

A: Dark reddish brown with orange tinted 1 finger thick head. Moderate lacing down the glass, but not impressive.

S: Smell was a huge turn off for me. Strong malt flavors and brown sugar. Minimal noble style hops, but they're far overpowered by the malt.

T: Malty and bitter. All I can taste is brown sugar and crystal malts. The bitterness is there, but for something labeled 1000 IBU I was very disappointed in the bitterness. Some alcohol on the finish.

M: very thick and viscus, but had a moderately clean finish. Definitely the best part of the beer.

D: Not drinkable. Poured about 1/2 the $14 bottle down the drain. What a waste.

dmsohyea, Mar 01, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +9%

A: Poured from a bottle to a tulip glass. Had an orangey color and a thick consistency. There was a big, foamy, long-lasting head. Excellent lacing. If there was a negative in this category it would the massive amount of floaties.

S: A huge aroma of hops, citrus, pine, and some malt.

T: Tasted of citrus (lemon, maybe some grapefruit), a piney quality, and malt. The overall bitterness isn't entirely evident until the finish, when it hits you like a truck. A very complex and flavorful beer.

M: A good amount of carbonation with a shockingly smooth finish. Medium-bodied.

D: This is one of those surprisingly drinkable beers.

avalon07, Feb 28, 2011
4.28/5  rDev +10.6%

12.7oz corked & caged bottle, difficult to open as the synthetic cork didn't give any grip. First time I've used channel locks to open a brew. Recent batch delivered to Georgia. Should be fresh and hopefully will be good considering the $11.99 price tag.

Pours murky copper/brown with lots of floaties and a thick, large foamy off-white head that leaves rings of drippy lacing and holds a rocky island forever.

Aroma is pungent and strong hops, citrus, pine, dank, resinous hops. Incredible strength. Never met more hops per square sniff in my life.

Flavor is resinous hops upon resinous hops, tons of bitterness, some caramel malt that is obliterated by more resinous hop bitterness. An overabundance of hops and I love it!

Mouthfeel is oily, medium to full, medium to high carbonation.

Yes, we are well into the realm of theoretical IBUs, but the bottom line is this is bitter as hell. One-dimensional, but it is the one dimension that I was seeking and expected from this over-the-top brew.

elgiacomo, Feb 28, 2011
2.38/5  rDev -38.5%

Poured up a rather cloudy caramel brown colour with a spotty, off-white head. Smell was very hoppy (citrusy), but not *as* outrageous as I was preparing myself for. Outside of the hops, there was little else.
Upon taking a sip, I involuntarily winced and thought to myself, "oh, *there* it is." This beer is "practical joke" hoppy. The level of pine resin in this is ridiculous. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that this beer is capable of etching the enamel off of your teeth.
The advertised 9,6%abv is well hidden, but it hardly seems worth mentioning considering how obscenely bitter this thing is. One can actually feel the sticky, resinous hop oils in the mouth.
This is certainly not for me. However, a friend of mine wanted to bring something unique to share with a small group, and I do believe he succeeded. While I didn't care for it, I am glad I had the opportunity to try such a bizarre concoction.

SilentSabre, Feb 25, 2011
4.13/5  rDev +6.7%

Drank on Tap at Sail and Anchor, Fremantle
21st Feb 2011

A - Not sure about the pour but it resembles a Baileys Irish Cream, or a widget beer that never settles, The head is indistinguishable from the body.

S - Smells of heavy piney notes

T - It's a massive pin ey flavour combined with booze. The back of my tongue is zinging with bitterness.

M - Medium body with medium carbonation and suprisingly smooth.

D - It's a very overpowering beer that not everyone will enjoy, but you should try it anyway, because it's a pretty unique experience.

eric5bellies, Feb 23, 2011
3.05/5  rDev -21.2%

375ml bottle into a tulip

A: Deep amber color with a red hue. Excellent thick head that holds on for quite some time. It leaves a ton of lacing behind.

S: Wow. It smells really bitter and actually malty as hell. The hops are there but in more of the bitter sense then an aroma component. The heat from the alcohol is also present, in your face a bit.

T: No getting around the IBU's. The bittering hops smash the palate from start to finish. Scientifically the only way to get IBU's this high would be bittering hops. As a result there is a small window for flavor and aroma. Somewhere in the middle there is a hint of the sweet malt and I can even eek out some pine cones and spicy grass. It seems hot on the palate, but I am placing the blame on the bitterness! It comes off really astringent in the end.

M: I can't really tell because my tongue is so numb from the bitter hop blast. It seems relatively full bodied....

D: That is all folks. Worth a shot but not a beer that I will ever revisit. It is an interesting experiment, but 1000 IBU's says all you need to know, crazily out of balance!

Neffbeer, Feb 16, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -6.2%

I had this on tap at a place called Beer Temple in Amsterdam, which actually specializes in serving American beer. I love the Mikkeller IPA's and was very excited to see this. The name alone just begs to be tried. It was served to me in a heavy chalice-style glass , which is a negative for me. The overall beer was good but, like many others have said, somewhat unbalanced.

Color was a orange/straw with a very small but potent head. Aroma was mostly hops, citrussy and very nice. The flavor was somewhat unbalanced with too much hops and maybe a little too hot, which also effects its drinkability. I'll try this again when i see it again but it was not as good as I'd hoped.

david18, Feb 10, 2011
3.15/5  rDev -18.6%

Rusty brown with an attractive opacity and an ivory head that leaves nice, webby lacing. Star anise in the aroma, with Campari, brandy, licorice, bergamot, and tobacco. Surprisingly not very hoppy and almost Belgian in character. The flavor is disastrously, overwhelmingly malty. This may have 1000 IBUs, but if that is the case then they have swung way too far in the other direction when trying to balance them out; instead of a hop bomb, they've made a malt bomb, with some nice hop notes. Full of caramel and calvados, brown sugar, raisins, and figs, it is rich with dark sugar flavors, uplifted only by a hint of spicy resin and floral bitterness. Sweet as hell. It's like they're playing some kind of practical joke. The great double IPA swindle. What a tremendous disappointment.

soulgrowl, Feb 09, 2011
2.13/5  rDev -45%

Bottle purchased from Brawley's poured into a Delirium Tremens Snifter.

A- Pours an amber red with a finger khaki/off white head. Decent lacing. A lot of sediment in the bottom of this beer.

S - Honestly smells of straight alcohol. Not pleasant at all.

T- It doesn't have a huge bitterness to it, but the bitterness is all I taste. No complexity to this beer at all. It's all hops and nothing else.

M- Decently smooth beer. High carbonation with a strong bitterness throughout and even heavier in the after taste.

D- Burns going down. It tastes stronger than the ABV (even at 9.6%).

It was more of a novelty for me to buy it. It definitely wasn't worth the price but I had to try it simply because of the name "1000 IBU's." This beer won't be purchased again.

GehenHerzog, Feb 03, 2011
2.85/5  rDev -26.4%

A - Decent amount of particulate. Hazelnut ice tea bown with a khaki head that pours creamy and holds a good lace.

S - Mild pine. Slight BO off-aroma.

T - Not what I was expecting up front: sweet brown sugar and malt. The bitterness doesn't stand up and punch you in the face; it's a surprisingly slow, but incessant, ramp-up of pure bitter for about 20s with each sip. Behind the white noise are pine and tarragon hop characteristics.

M - The bitterness builds and ramps throughout the drink. Otherwise smooth with a medium body and sweet finish - sweet in a relative sense though, considering the intent wasn't exactly to ship a balanced beer : )

D - For my palate this was more of a novelty than a delight, but one I'm glad I had the opportunity to enjoy. The bitterness isn't as forward as some west coast IPA's, but it stacks on your palate pretty fiercely. For most, this'll be the last beer you drink for the night, or at the very least, the last beer you'll taste. That's not to say you shouldn't try it - just try it on the back end of the night.

vfgccp, Feb 03, 2011
3.58/5  rDev -7.5%

On-tap at the Local Option. Poured into large mouth wine glass.

This beer pours a translucent cherry red with hints of amber at the bottom of my chalice. It has a two finger off white head that is dense and spongy.

The smell develops to from a bouquet of sweet pine, citrus, cherry, mango, watermelon, and a slight cannabis infusion. Very nice and welcoming.

I wish I could say the taste was as complex and intriguing as the smell. The truth is that maybe it is, but I could not get through the hops to find out. It starts out with a nice pine and citrus hop flavor before the drinker is almost knocked off their stool by the infiltration of hop bitterness that follows. Each sip begins and ends the same, until the end of the drink when there is almost nothing but the taste of IBUs. Seriously, this beer gives the IBU an actual associated flavor. Unfortunately it isn't too desirable. I could not find any malt flavors, but I'm sure they were there for those with more attuned taste buds.

The beer was palatable and an interesting exercise in both the capabilities and limits of hop exposure. I don't think I will rush back for another, but certainly not an experience I regret.

CMB2012, Feb 02, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +11.9%

Poured into a imperial nonic a cloudy(alot of chunky's and floaties)russet tinged burnt orange with a large fluffy top that settled into a creamy mass leaving a few broken chunks behind.A mix of brown sugar and powerful resinous and earthy hops,the hops are in full effect here no doubt,not much alcohol presence to be had.Dry on the palate,no sugary sweetness like way to many of the style,earthy and resinous,some light brown sugar-like sweetness is there but it dont stand up to the intense drying hoppiness.This beer is no joke,you better like the cones to like this beer,I do and I like it...alot.

oberon, Feb 02, 2011
3.33/5  rDev -14%

Had this on-tap at Max's. Served in a pint glass.

Appearance - Very cloudy golden amber with a finger of fluffy white head, which lingers throughout.

Smell - Sweet bready malt and a lot of citrus hops.

Taste - I can only describe this as total tongue domination. There is quite a bit of bready malt sweetness initially, but then the hops kick in. Extremely bitter citrus hops wreck the tongue through the finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium body and a good amount of carbonation.

Drinkability. This one is quite sweet and super bitter. After this my tongue was done tasting beer for the night. I know this is called 1000 IBU, and I'm glad I got to try it, but this is just bitterness for the sake of bitterness and I don't think I'll be coming back.

oline73, Jan 30, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +0.3%

Served on tap at Local Option in a tulip.

Appearance: This has a crazy color that I have never seen in a DIPA before, or any beer for that matter. Originally I thought it was amber, but it is actually more of a cherry ruby color with a subuded tan tint. The taupe head is perfectly creamy and retains perfectly well. It leaves a sheet of lace down the side of the glass. I have a feeling each layer of lace has more IBU's than most IPA's have in a glass.

Smell: This smells dangerous. Skip the fruit, this is all alpha acid - it practically rips out the skin in my nostrils. Spicy notes, sweet caramel malt, and a bit of booze come through once I get over the pure bitterness.

Taste: There is a strong caramel sweetness that hangs on for as long as it can before a blistering bitterness kicks in. Pure bittering hops & straight alpha acids, with a little pine and spice. The finish is destructively bitter.

Mouthfeel: Paint-peeling bitterness cleans my mouth of any living organisms. Medium body for such a big ABV beer. Lots of hop resin in the residue.

Drinkability: Well I cannot really drink anything after this, or at least taste anything. It actually gave me goosebumps to drink this. A bit pricey for me to ruin my palette very often. My bartender and I agree, this is a fun experiment.

KickInTheChalice, Jan 28, 2011