1000 IBU - Mikkeller ApS

1000 IBU1000 IBU

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

Beer added by: Nickls on 03-16-2010

Brewed at De Proefbrouwerij.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 666 | Reviews: 268
3.45/5  rDev -10.4%

Served from a bottle into a beer goblet.

Appears much darker than I imagined it would be. Rather brown with noticed sediment. I also see a foamy head that maintains at rest in top.

The smell has definite hops in it with a pleasing bitterness but also has a mustiness that can't be ignored.

Taste is disappointing. I referred to it as a "karate chop of bitterness" without too much complexity. Not a well-rounded flavor.

Mouthfeel is short, dry, and musty.

I'm happy I finally got to try this but I won't be a grabbing a second, sir. :(

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

This beer pours out as a copper like color with a foamy white head. It has a decent lacing down the glass. The smell reminded me of leather and hops, it's actually a little strange certain smells that I don't recall ever having smelled before. The taste of this beer is unlike anything I think I've ever had, it's very strong and has a lot of flavor to it the mouth feel is on the thicker side a little bit of oily texture to it and has a decent carbonation. Overall I find this beers pretty unique and I did enjoy it but it was expensive and I can't see myself paying for again

3.33/5  rDev -13.5%

Bottle found at Khourys Liquor in Las Vegas, NV. Poured into a snifter.

Appearance- it's a dark orange honey color. Not much head, but creamy looking.

Smell- it has a resin type sweetness, malt notes, a bit of forest like hop note...not very strong of a hop smell. Surprisingly not heavy on hops which I thought would be prevalent.

Taste- taste is definitely hoppy. It evolves into a few stages of bitterness- a orange peel type of bitter, then grassy, then a medicinal almost quality and leaves a lingering back on the throat bitter. That's the only time I taste a bit of the characteristics I smelled. The front has a mild sweetness left on the palette while the back contains the bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- Theres mild carbonation in the front which is fine and helps the hops flavors develop. I am not too sure I like the after effects of the sip...the back of the throat bitter is really lingering in an unpleasant way. It's almost stuck to the back of the throat making it feel dry yet wet from salivating at the same time.

Drinkability- Hrmm...? Share this bottle with a friend perhaps. I don't really find this to be very pleasant enough to even finish my half. It's wrecking my throat and mouth without much enjoyable payoff.

I am impressed that there is a "drinkable" 1000IBU beer, however I am not sold on it. There are other mean hop machines out there I'm happy with thats easily attainable. Glad I got one, but this is one for the "I've had that!" list and not to be bought again.

3.24/5  rDev -15.8%

Draft at Farmers' Cabinet.

Pours a hazy dark copper color that is completely opaque with dark golden orange hues and a two finger creamy white head.  Good retention coating the glass with soapy lacing.

Dry earthy hop aroma with resinous pine and a boat load of sweet malt.   Lots of caramel and toffee but the hops are still prevalent.

Full bodied with a dry, earthy pine hops .  Kind of like biting into bark with a very dry bitter flavor that lingers throughout.  A ton of malt in the backbone with lots of sweet hints of caramel, toffee, biscuit and nut.  Lots of booze especially in the finish.  Faint citrus and tropical fruit notes.  Intense, boozy and very dry with too strong of a malt presence.

4.03/5  rDev +4.7%

No American Double. Taste much like a carbonated port :)

A - Deep dark honey, somewhat murk,y lots of near white head, slow to leave, TONS of lace.

S - PORT WINE. C'mon, no one else gets this? Maybe mine is infected. It's ok, though...

T - Malt, wine, hops, burping hops, lots of hops but Ruination seems like it has more. Caramelly, sweet, more refined than a DIPA.

M - Good carb, good medium body, port almost cloying but not. Hops are there obviously but hard to point out.

D - This is a fun one. I like it!

3.54/5  rDev -8.1%

Reviewed from notes from 6/9/2011 tasting.

I have had this beer twice. Very comparable each time.

A- Yeast stirs up very easily and really mars the appearance of this beer after the pour. Very dark for an IIPA, caramel color. Looks somewhat like a belgian dubbel.

S- Smells malty, and hoppy, like it will go down fairly smooth and taste really good. Alcohol is present.

T- Somewhat of a let down. The yeast comes through strong, the hops are present and good, that linger for days, which is what you would expect. The malt balances it up front, but dissipates quickly. I'm pretty sure my tongue is still numb from this beer.

M- Nothing special here.

O- Once again, nothing special here. It is a novelty, a gimmick, and it does that well. It is a very bitter beer that will destroy your palate, but as far as being enjoyable, drinkable, and something I would buy again...it strikes out on all three. Glad I tried it, but won't again unless someone buys it for me.

3.3/5  rDev -14.3%

Served from the tap a dark cloudy apricot color with two fingers of beige head. Generous lacing left behind.

Aroma of pineapple and grapefruit hops, caramel malts and booze.

This is one bitter-tasting beast of a beer. Almost to the point of tasting like bile. Ugh. The pineapple and caramel malts are present from the aroma but overwhelmed by the bitter bite and the booziness. The 9.6% lets you know it's there and then some.

Medium bodied with a moderate carbonation.

I have loved every beer from Mikkeller I've had and really tried to like this one.

3.21/5  rDev -16.6%

looked like melted caramel in my glass with lots of chunks in there. smelled very earthy and piney. taste was good at first with some sweetness to it, then it turned straight bitter. mouthfeel was heavy and chewy, not what i expected, with a very dry, very bitter finish. that was what i expected. will never do again but glad i gave it a try.

2.62/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Mikkeller 1000 Ibu, Imperial IPA 9.x% abv

A: Murky brown with little light passing through, exceptionally dark for the style, a white thick head with large bubbles

S: Strangely smells of figs, raisins, the scent is totally off for the style it seems more like a belgian tripel on the nose, boozy finish with a bit of wafting heat

T: This reigns itself in as an imperial IPA at the aftertaste, the front taste of it is sweet with notes of dark fruits, a confusing crossover beer that is far from an imperial IPA

M: Again, this whole endeavor feels like false advertising. You expect from the color and the head retention that this will be some huge malty Denogginizer experience, then the beer rushes quickly down and away without much lingering or coating. The only really exceptional part is the awesome barky aftertaste that has a ton of chinook. If there are 1000 IBUs in there, it is questionable whether they are working in tandem

D: This is not exceptionally pleasant and it is amongst the most disappointing mikkeller offerings and the 500ml for 13.99 further compounding my chagrin. It is not without its limited charms, but the prohibitive cost and strange crossover status makes it hard to place or recommend. I don't really understand the utility of 1000 ibu when most of it doesnt register on the human palate. It would be like a mixed media art exhibit with audio tones outside the human auditory range.

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

My dad purchased a bottle of this and offered to share it with me. Of course I said "Sure". This was a pretty damn delicious beer, too.

Pours slightly murky and orange amber in color with a decent, respectable sized white head. Some bits of lacing dot the glass and the retention was quite nice; the head lasted for nearly the entire session.

Aroma was pure hops. I did get a bit of caramel and some chocolate in the background but the hops were certainly the show here. Piney and citrusy with a touch of herbaceousness. Malt lent a background role where it belongs in a Double IPA.

Solid flavor. The beer started out slightly sweet with the caramels malts but almost immediately jumped into a barage of hops. The hops werent completely over the top. It was really bitter but there was no astringency. The hop flavor was predominantly piney.

The bitterness starts to wear a little thin at the end but I thought this was a solid style example. I would compare it to a less sweet Ruination with both being equally hoppy and equally good. Solid work on this one.

4.17/5  rDev +8.3%

Picked up a 120z bottle in a trade with Dawson's Liquor in Severna Park, MD and poured it into a Old Speckled Hen pint glass - thanks fellas!

The bottle was corked and caged, with the cork being nearly impossible to remove from the bottle - it was a synthetic cork and was twice as long as any cork i've ever seen!!!

A: Pours a hazy deep amber/dark honey hue with a thin head that dissipates quickly leaving small amounts of lacing in my glass and chunks of yeast at the bottom.

S: Earthy hops - pine sap and mint, raw biscuit dough, raisins and toasted grain.

T: The hop is strong, floral and dominant throughout - there's a big citrus blast - like grapefruit rinds, the malt helps balance the hop flavor somewhat but luckily doesn't stick around too long to muddy up the good amount of bitter resiny hoppiness.

M/D: Medium bodied, smooth start with a sticky/resiny finish, the mellow carbonation lends nicely to the style, with a lingering bitterness that coats the mouth from the good amount of hops. The drinkability is surprisingly friendly for a DIPA and I could easily post up on a few of these in a single sitting - where the hell are they hiding the the booze in this one??? At 9.6% there's hardly a trace of alcohol!

4.82/5  rDev +25.2%

6721011 (stamped on the back of the bottle; bottling date?)

A- Hazy burnt toffee colored pour. Three finger soapy light tan head. Slowly recedes to finger width cap that just clings to the glass.

S- Bitter floral right off the bat. Resinous pine, juicy grapefruit, mandarin. Slight buttery note. Slight cat urine hiding in the back. Sweet malt backing and nice roundness.

T- Wow... Pure hop kick. Just bitter, no floral pine or fruit. Just straight bitter. Smooth malt sweetness just before the dry bitter onslaught commences.

M- Medium bodied, chewy at first, quickly jumps into overdrive and dries your mouth out like sand paper.

O- Bitter and glorious, dry and wonderful. Just hoppy bliss. Not nearly as sweet as I intended it would have to be.

4.08/5  rDev +6%

Wow! I really didn’t expect this beer to be good. I wanted to taste it just for the sake of it, but I really thought it would be greatly imbalanced, oh was I wrong. The first that strikes you is the aroma, it’s like going out in a flower garden in the middle of summer. Citrus, earth, leaves, grass, fruits, all of this just blends together to one of the most perfect aromas I have felt. The taste isn’t either all that bad, surprisingly balanced with fruity and citrusy notes on the one side and bitterness on the other with an intense taste lignering on and on, but oh my, is this a hop fix. The main problem with this beer is its utter destroyal of one’s palate. You really cannot feel a thing on your tongue more than half an hour later. Overall it is deeply recommended.

1.99/5  rDev -48.3%

A - Rusty-nail colored beer with yellow on the edges and a small white head that left some splotches on the sides with poor retention.

S - Ash, hops, rotten malts, caramel, sickly sweet sugar, more sugar, rubber and other gross smells. Kind of not good.

T - Tastes like vulcanized rubber, rotted vegetables, rotted pineapple, and bitter hops. This is disgusting and I am having a hard time getting it down.

M - Somewhat creamy, moderate carbonation, medium bodied.

O - Pretty gross beer, not as undrinkable as its BA Version, but bad nonetheless. Avoid.

4.61/5  rDev +19.7%

Mikkeller 1000 IBU, 12.7-oz bottle bought at Oak Tree in South Plainfield, New Jersey, for god-knows-how-much-but-a-lot-for-sure.

Dark green bottle, sort of a Heineken color. Corked (very difficult to pop open) and wrapped. Whatever it takes to make it more appealing and expensive...

Appearance: Served in my goddamn Sierra snifter, 1000 IBU pours like champagne, light and happy, producing a beautiful one-finger head of a nuanced chestnut/color. Exceptional retention (head lingers) and lacing. An outrageous amount of sediment floats at the bottom of the glass.

Smell: Very hot and boozy. Malty! Reminds me of Flying Dog Double Dog and Weyerbacher Double Simcoe, that nourishing bready cookie-like pungent aroma. Some citrus hops too, cooked and musty. Not fresh hops. Like canned pineapple juice exposed to the sun and baked slightly.

Taste: An extreme bitterness takes over the mouth. No, actually it attacks and conquers the mouth, then the brain and the whole body. It made me shake! Puckering as fuck. Massively hoppy, with a dry and bitter finish that hurts so good. And a ton of malt to go with the hops. Not much else, though. One-dimensional but brutally delicious, if you like it strong and bitter. Again, I am reminded of Double Simcoe and Double Dog.

Mouthfeel: Full body and flavor, medium carbonation. Hot and prickly, did I mention the bitterness? Packs a punch and then some. Super dry- have some water nearby! The hops stay with you forever, sticking like glue to the tongue.

Overall: I like this one a whole-cone hop-a lot. Particularly when it warms up, the full effect of the theoretical 1000 IBU shows up. Immensely drinkable to boot, even at room-temp. Very well balanced. I do not see all that barleywine-like sweetness a lot of reviewers pick up.

I have never had a beer that makes me shake from the utter bitterness! If it weren't so pricey, I'd buy another one (or two or three).

4.87/5  rDev +26.5%

II had this on tap at Barley's in Greenville and decided I needed to make my first review.

It pours out a deep bronze with a bit of a copper tint around the edges. Decent carb and a 1" bleach white head with little lace.

The smell is very citrusy with a hint of pine and lemon zest.

The taste is overwhelmingly bruising bitter. The hops take over with a dryness that lingers well after. There are some floral notes, but they quickly are subdued by the citrus and piney HUGE hop presence. It is very acidic and to me, a massive hophead, pleasing. The malt used is very hard to detect, but I'd imagine a bit of maris otter, honey and acidulated resin as the base of this.

The mouthfeel is difficult to determine with the lingering bitterness, but I suspect this beer to have a lot of unfermented residual sugar that makes the hop stick to your palate long after the beer is gone.

Overall, this is an amazing DIPA second only to Hopslam in my opinion, solely because it ruined my Sculpin that I had immediately after. I literally tasted it for a solid 15 minutes after leaving the restaurant. Try this beer on tap, I'd imagine it would be fresher- rinse your mouth out after.

3.67/5  rDev -4.7%

12.7 oz bottle wrapped in green paper. The Bottle was Caged and Corked.

A- Deep brown with lighter edges. Almost non-existent off-white head.

S- Fermented Fuit and sugars, some spice scents

T- Rasins, sugars, toffee.

D- Super sweet and syrupy. No Hoppiness. For a beer named 1000 IBU, I was a bit let down by how sweet it was, and not hop forward.

3.61/5  rDev -6.2%

Poured from a corked & caged bottle into a Duvel tulip...aged for about 9 months or so

A- pours a reddish shade of brown with a one finger offwhite head. The head is pretty dense and leaves excellent lacing. There is a LOT of sediment in here that floats to the bottom. Looks unlike nearly any DIPA I've ever had...

S- it's got that heavily hopped aroma that many of your stronger DIPAs have. Almost a breadiness to it. Some citrus as well. Kind of blah smelling

T- this is nowhere near as hoppy as I assumed it would be upon first bottling...I was a little put off by the 1000 IBU tag and wanted it to mellow out. Well it has, and it's nice and malty now. The hops I'm getting are more of a mellow citric in nature. It's not a hop bomb. Pretty solid

M- it's got a bit of a syrupy quality to it, that's for sure. Very thick beer

O- I don't mind it. It's a nice Mikkeller experiment, but not something I'd be hunting down again

3.86/5  rDev +0.3%

A: A 2 finger creamy beige head rises to the occasion with sturdy and lasting results. Dark glazed caramel apple coloring is filled with a dense nature of macro yeast sediment that quickly settled to the bottom of the glass. Thin stratified rings line the glass. Within lied a nice suspension of fine and misty yeast cake floating about in a soft rise of carbonation.

S: Freshly squeezed grapefruit and citrus. Fresh pine with a flowery scent is backed by a sweetness of caramel grains. Nice scent, moderate strength, but 1000 ibus? Hardly.

T: The flavor displayed a nice level of bitterness of grapefruit pulp and a good deal of alcohol presence. Toasted grains, bitter hop juices pack a punch of hops straight to the bitter glands of the tongue. Complex? Hardly, 1000 ibu's?, in theory maybe, but does pack a wallop of hops in the top % of ipas. A bitter assault of the tongues bitterness, most likely loaded early and often with a extended boil. There appears to be a bit of sam bucca type licorice on the trail. All in all a boat load of hops for people who like their ipas loaded to the point of total satuation, freshy citrusy, grapefruit yet fairly soothing in a enjoyable way, even for 1000 ibus.

M: Nice consistency, near full body with a soft carbonation. Dry grapefruit and licorice line the tongue on the swallow.

D: If its hops you want, there is no shortage here. A good shock to the taste buds, for the over indulgent, yet not so much where you wouldn't want another one. Worthy of more.

3.6/5  rDev -6.5%

Picked this up at Healthy Spirits out of sheer curiousity. The name and paper wrapper certainly got me wondering...

The beer poured a moderately hazy, orange-amber color left legs as the beer swirled in the glass. Formed a fluffy 2-3 finger head composed of very tiny bubbles. Lacing invited a whiff. Hop-dominated aroma showed pine, sweet candied orange, marmalade. Intense aroma. Alcohol was present but not hot. First sip yielded a resiney, instense hoppiness with a slight toasty middle and a long lingering bitter finish. Medium-light in body with moderately high carbonation.

As an IPA-aficionado, a beer proclaiming 1000 IBUs is a must-try. But the overwhelming bitterness that lasted long into the finish detracts from my overall opinion.

3.6/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

From notes, 3-25-11

A - clouded dark amber, small offwhite head reduces to a ring

S - really quite sweet malty nose, some light bitter hops in the background

T - Very sweet again, hops in the back are dry.

M - surprisingly thin, a bit flat, quite smooth.

O (D) - not bad, and for being about 4 months old, it's a good deal better than expected.

3.8/5  rDev -1.3%

A-hazy red with nice head retention
S-smells like old hops, almost fruity
T-very sweet maltiness. His definetley has some age on it but it doesn't detract from the beer at all.
M-medium bodied and very smooth
O-interesting idea. OK beer. More like a barley wine than an I pa.

3.94/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours a very hazy brownish orange. A good amount of white head. Very thick and almost syrupy. Smells sweet and hoppy. Very sweet. Tastes bitter and so hoppy its more like syrup. Sweet and tastes almost like hop extract. Super bitter and very tasty for what it is. Not that great but for what it is it's surprisingly good.

3.53/5  rDev -8.3%

Had on tap at crunchy's in east lansing.

A: Pours a hazy amber with red hues and two fingers of head that lasts for an eternity.

S: Hops, and...?

T: Hops, hops and hops. Hops up front in the middle and finish. Sweet at times but mostly hops. But what do you expect from IBU's this high.

M: Medium body with great carbonation.

O: Glad I was able to try this on tap, but I could'nt finish this one.

1.69/5  rDev -56.1%

On tap at Max's before the Agalloch show. I ordered this so I could lower my rAvg.

Amber copper with a beige head with great retention and nice lacing, I can already tell this will be sweet. And that's what I first notice - overly sweet with a moderate hop bitterness with pinesol and grapefruit. The palate opens sweet, ridiculously slow, caramelized and sugary, revolting, even. Bitterness is high, bruising and harshly unpleasant. Full in body with a sweet and bitter finish, this is not even close to being a good beer. Maybe time will make this an acceptable barleywine, but I'm not counting on it.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
1000 IBU from Mikkeller ApS