1000 IBU - Mikkeller ApS

1000 IBU1000 IBU

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

Beer added by: Nickls on 03-16-2010

Brewed at De Proefbrouwerij.
4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

A: Decent fluffy 1/2 finger head fades slowly over murky muddy rusty brown colored beer.

N: Not as hoppy as I thought it would be. Some spicy and fruity hops, a little earthy and citrus hops, but not so heavy on the hops. Not super hoppy and heavy. a slight musty fresh resiny hop. WIth all the hops is a slight malty base but hides the booze well, at least on the aroma.

T: Weird as hell! Lots of heavy hops, very bitter! Some fruit hops, citrus, tangerine, earthy and very piny hops. A little resinous hop flavor with some hop extracts too. A little minerality and salty flavors too. Slight chewy malt base and some sweetness with the malts, but hides the booze well as well on the taste. A slight toasty malt too.

M: Medium body with decent carbonation.

F: Heavy bitterness on the finish too. More heavy spicy hops with more hop extracts, hop resin, and just lots of hops in general. A looong lingering bitterness. Lots of long orange peel and citrus, pine, etc etc etc. The 1000 IBUs really don't come through until 10 minutes after you finish the sip and it still tastes like you are swallowing it. A slight juicy fruit on the finish. This might be the first beer I've reviewed that the finish is longer (in words for the review) and heavier (in taste) than the initial taste. Crazy muuu fuuu!!!

4.15/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Live Review.

The synthetic cork was very sluggish coming off the bottle and even when I did get it out, there was almost no audible pop. My reaction when this happens, with all beers, is to immediately pour rather aggressively into my chosen glassware to try to stimulate head. (yeah, I know what I just said) This turned out to be the wrong approach, as I generated a ridiculous 5 fingered head that took a good 5 minutes to recede. Ample time for smelling, I guess.

Pours a surprisingly dark, dull mahogany brown with little clarity. This is much dark than all DIPAs I've ever seen. Darker and duller than Surly Furious and 120 IPA, which are pretty dark for an IPA and DIPA respectively. I would even classify the head as light tan. The head lingers in full for quite a while atop the beer and leaves tremendous lacing the "high water" mark.

The smell is very pungent with huge notes of pine sap, pineapple, strong tea leaves, slightly sweet cocoa, and gritty citrus. "Gritty". I don't know why, but that is how I would characterize the smell. It smells like it should be crunchy. Weird, I know. Maybe I'm off my rocker today.

Taste: The taste is biting from the ridiculousness of the hops. An extremely long bitter aftertaste rips through your mouth after each swallow. More and more, it feels like I'm breathing fire after each sip. The front of the taste has a decent but subdued malt backbone with strong notes of pine. As it lingers, I get a slight unpleasant buttery note, that might be due to it sitting on a store shelf without being chilled. Like I said, the finish is ridiculously bitter. My wife is going to hate me when she gets home, because this will do a number on my breath for a good four hours!

The mouthfeel is very thick and viscous without a bunch of carbonation. It seems very chewy to me as well.

Drinkability: This beer is drinkable for the hop heads and strong flavor types, but others will probably hate this. It is unapologetically harshly bitter.

Overall, I have to applaud Mikkeller for making a seriously bitter forward beer without it being too unbalanced.

4.47/5  rDev +16.1%

Picked this up at a great beer store, Tops Liquor, while at a conference in Phoenix. Nice copper, ruby pour with a huge caramel colored head and great lacing. Lots of floaties in this one. The nose is all fresh hops and resin with a touch of malty caramel sweetness. One of those beers you enjoy with your nose also. The taste is, as expected, all bitter hops, at least initially. But it becomes nicely balanced while retaining a nice bitter finish. Nicely complex with loads of bitter hoppy resin and pine offset by some nice caramel maltiness. A unique taste that definitely stands out amongst Imperial IPA's. Hugely drinkable, smooth and creamy, and a little chewy at the same time. As always, Mikkeller has come up with a world class beer. Still one of my favorite breweries that I wish I could get more regularly.

4.03/5  rDev +4.7%

The beer pours a murky brown, with just a faint hint of orange to it in my Duvel tulip. A nice, three finger caramel head quickly makes an appearance and sticks around for a minute before leaving tons of nice lacing down the sides of the glass. The nose is pure caramel and hop resin. The taste is an upfront blast of bitterness, with a caramel sweet middle, before closing with a dose of hop resins and pine. The beer is nicely carbonated, but given the appreciable malt presence I feel like it's a little bit thin. Despite that, 1000 IBU is quite drinkable, and I don't pick up on the nearly 10% ABV at all. This is my first Mikkeller beer, color me impressed.

3.9/5  rDev +1.3%

A: 375ml bottle with a very stubborn synthetic cork which comes out without a sound. Thankfully, the pour appears nicely carbonated with a finger's worth of khaki head.

S: The nose is pure hops, as you would expect considering the 1000 IBU name. Tons of citrus and even more pine. Despite the hop overkill, the caramel malt still comes through.

T: The hops are there, and certainly bitter. However, there is quite a bit of bready malt on the tongue. The bitterness is long lasting and stays in the mouth long after the sip is finished.

M: The body is medium with a somewhat low carbonation.

D: I admit, I mostly bought this beer "just to see", and it's actually not too bad. But, there are plenty of other IPAs I would rather have for much less.

4.28/5  rDev +11.2%

12.7oz bottle corked and caged wrapped in a green vertically striped paper. Very classy looking ale with a label boasting the 1000IBU. I got this into my Russian River stemmed glass as soon as I won the battle with the cork.

The pour was gentle, but the head was taking over nearly half of the glass. Rocky head of a creamed coffee color clings to the glass and has wonderful retention. The body is a cloudy chestnut color, highlights of amber and scarlet glow around the outside.

I got a giant nose full of piney hops as soon as I could wrestle the cork out of the bottle. Getting this into the glass revealed even more effervescent grapefruit and pine. Drawing my nose closer to the glass I begin to pick up sweet grain and caramel. The aroma of hops is still over bearing and shine through like a tone deaf soloist. There are small traces of booze in there but once again the hops push them down and reveal even more of there fruity nature. Raisin, pine ,grapefruit, fig, mango, spiced rum, leather and uhhh... more hops.

In the tasting I found much less hops upfront than I had expected. The balance came into play much less as the ale warmed and the aftertaste takes a hold. I did come across a bit of warming alcohol, and some spicey earthy rum like flavors.
After each swallow the bitterness came back more and more. My tongue loved each taste as the hops battled over a sweet pine and bitter citrus finish. In body this reminds my ov the East coast and west coast flaming forum wars. Mikkeller brings both to the table east coast body and west coast hops.

The body does feel very thin for a brew this high in ABV and an SRM this dark. I love the feel of the brew allowing caramel and hops to rest on the tongue. Never cloying and not a pallet scrubbing over carbonation job. I do wish the bottle was a tad bigger ...I would of loved a 750ml for the price. Price mixed with rarity bring down the drinkability in reality only.

4.22/5  rDev +9.6%

Reviewed solo at home served out of an East End Pint glass,

Appearance: poured a 2 finger of frothy fine and coarse head, cloudy brown with weblike lacing.

Smell: Dark Malts, almost salty piney hops.

Taste: Opens with a dark malt profile as the piney and earth hops come in the middle. There is a surprising dark fruit profile in this with a brown grain profile lingers in the background behind all the sweetness. A sweet malt profile finishes this where the big bittering hop profile is pronounced in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: This is coarse and really make really makes the enamel on my teeth feel like sandpaper, medium carbonation with a light to medium body at most.

Drinkability: I would have this again in the summer to fall months, I recommend this to those seeking a hop profile which intensifies as this brew approaches the finish, and a surprising dark fruit in the middle with a huge hop bitter in the aftertaste.

4.35/5  rDev +13%

Out-of-focus ochre with coral and orange accents along the bottom edge of the snifter. The pour produced slightly more than half a glassful of golden ecru hued foam that is impressively rich and whipped creamy. Looks like the hop resins will be responsible for some outstanding looking lace. Great out of the gate.

The nose is akin to a caramel malty IPA with a generous amount of fruity American hops. The brewery says that 6.5 Kg of alpha acid extract and 10 Kg of Simcoe hop pellets are used for every 1000 liters of beer. I'm not sure if that's a lot, but it sure sounds like a lot.

Whoever finds fault with Mikkeller for a gimmicky name is wasting their scorn. If it helps get them get noticed and helps them sell more 1000 IBU, then more power to them. The bottom line, when all else is stripped away, including the ridiculous purchase price, is that this is delicious big beer... that isn't hoppy enough.

The issue isn't a lack of lupulins, it's an abundance of malt sugars. What might have been a buzzsaw of alpha acids and tropical fruity Simcoe hop goodness is (somewhat) blunted by toasted bread and melted caramel. Having said that, this is still hugely hop-soaked beer that is pleasing me to no end. It's a very close call, but the taste score will be rounded down. And the drinkability score will be rounded up.

The mouthfeel is surprisingly light for the ABV and the amount of underlying sweetness. As the beer continues to warm, however, it ventures toward medium for the style and gains a lightly chewy quality. Even though the bubbles are a bit peppy, it works.

Mikkeller 1000 IBU bears at least a passing resemblance to Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA. This beer is less sweet, less boozy and (arguably) more bitter and hop flavorful. Having said that, equally fresh bottles of each are the only way to say for sure. What the hell, the last few ounces have convinced me that the higher flavor score is warranted. If this brew was even slighty less expensive, I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

GLASS: Snifter
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 55 degrees
12.7oz Corked & Caged bottle, wrapped in paper (Nice Presentation)
DATE ON CORK: 14/1/12 (Best Before?)

This pours a very nice looking, golden copper color. The synthetic came out of the bottle without a sound, which kind of scared me. This is nicely carbonated, though. It forms a head of almost one-fingers thickness of dark tan colored foam. This recedes to a spotty surface covering film. The lacing is spotty, but very plentiful and nicely sticky.

I am taken aback and quite pleasantly surprized by the nose on this one. It actually comes across as quite balanced. Loads of hops notes, as expected. Lots of citrus presence along with some very nice floral characteristics. Pineapples, grapefruit, mangoes, peaches, nectarines, limes, oranges, etc. This also has a very nice amount of sweet caramel maltiness to it. Good hints of brown sugars, toffee and sweet cherries.

Wow, this beer is surprising. It is not anywhere near as bitter as I'd prepared myself for it to be. It is actually very nicely balanced, as was alluded to by the nose. The taste follows the nose very closely. There are certainly a whole lot of hops in this beer, but they are very nicely balanced by a sweet malty base that makes the whole thing very tasty.

This beer is full-bodied and has a light-to-mild level of carbonation, which compliments it well. It has a wonderful smoothness to it and a very nice touch of creaminess. This helps it come off as almost velour-like.
Very nice.

On top of all of that, the 9.60%abv is also very nicely hidden. You get just a light hint of warmth on the back side of this, but other than that, I don't even notice it, until it starts to hit me. Very surprisingly drinkable. Yes, I'd like to have more, please.

Thanks to Exiled for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a brownish-amber color with an off-white head. The aroma is strong caramel with some pine and citrus notes. It smells like a barleywine. The flavor is a strong mix of pine and caramel. There are also some resiny hops. The tastes is similar to a hoppy barleywine. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

4.4/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a cloudy gold, with ample head, that dissipates to a fine layer of foam, leaving lacing on the glass. Appears a bit viscous, with trapped bubbles that seem to just hover in the brew.

Really strong aromas of dried hops and strong malt. Strong wet hay/barnyard smell.

Tastes of really concentrated dried citrusy hops on a malty backbone.

Body is kind of thick and good carbonation gives it a creamy mouthfeel.

This is an extreme beer, that is very good, but way hopped, and is for those with acquired tastes.

375ml caged and synthetically corked bottle received in a trade with mikey711 thanks!

Appearance: Pours auburn with a 2 finger khaki crown that is lush yet rocky, shows decent retention and loads of lace. The body of the brew has loads of suspended sediment.

Smell: Caramel malt and a whirlwind of hops that express both floral and fruit notes. Tangerine, a hint of grapefruit, a hint of pineapple, and grass notes are apparent. Slight vulcanized rubber / burnt brake note.

Taste: Very well balanced, which surprised me considering the name 1000 IBU. The heavy dose of malt doesn't come off sweet or caramel like, probably due to the hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, a hint chewy, but with enough carbonation to satisfy.

Drinkability: Not bad at all considering the IBU's and the 9.6% abv. I've tasted 140 IBU brews that were more bitter than this brew. Probably because they didn't have as much of a malt counterpart as the Mikkeller does.

4.55/5  rDev +18.2%

Enjoyed from the bottle into a pint glass.

Beautiful honey colored ale. Nice head from the high alcohol.

I can smell this beer from across the room! All of the hops you would expect. Mangoes, pineapples, grapefruits, pine, earth, lemon zest, resin.

Exquisite flavor. May be one of my more favorite IPAs now, which is tough to say! Awesome balance between the hops and malt. Obviously, you cant taste 1000 IBUs, so its not really overpowering on the palate. More citrus fruit and sweetness that just a bitter hop bomb. Enjoyable!

Mediumish mouthfeel with the higher alcohol. Pairs nicely with the carbonation and the juicy hops.

Great brew, I recommend trying it!!

4.2/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a red wine glass

This beer pours a very thick looking carmel brown into my glass. A fingers worth of thick brown head sits on top. Not sure what to expect but as I take a whiff I catch some very earthy hop aroma with a nice hint of toasted malt. I put the glass to my lips and the flavor is certainly malt forward as I taste caramel, toffee and some roast. The finish is of a very nice piney hop. The mouth is very balanced as the malt has a chewiness to it with low carbonation. This beer was very enjoyable as I was surprised at how well the roasted malt and piney hop melded together. Be warned however this beer is a bit of a sipper as the alcohol "heat" is quite noticeable in the taste and mouthfeel.

4.05/5  rDev +5.2%

Thanks to Draught2012 for this beer. Jimmy J is an awesome guy.

Pours with a lovely almost creamy light tan head. Nice retention. Almost a skeleton of larger bubbles stays behind as some of this settles. Lacing sticks everywhere. Beer is a very deep amber color. Interesting in that I can't say it has clarity or is cloudy. Such a deep color you look into the beer, but not through the beer.

Aroma is floral, certainly hop focused and pine and grass notes everywhere. Really nice aroma.

I never know what to expect with Milkkeller. Some I've loved and others.. well. I really enjoy this. Instant fruity esters that seem to race to your taste buds before hop slam hits. There is this moment of fruit and then caramel.. As soon as that registers, slam Hop bitterness. More pine focused with the alcohol flavor just beneath the surface. The malt backbone is still there but in the back seat behind the malt flavor. Then a touch of grass and back to the bitterness which intensifies and lingers. Lingering taste is a bit like grapefruit pith.

Carbonation is nice and allows the flavor to pop. Medium bodied but bold mouth feel due to the bitterness.

I actually enjoy this quite a bit. Nice job!

3.88/5  rDev +0.8%

Appearance: 1/4 inch head, cloudy with sediment, amber in color, moderate carbonation

Smell: pine hops

Taste: sweet caramel with pine hops in the background. some floral hops.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied, medium carbonation, sweet with a bitter background..really bitter aftertaste

Drinkability: I do like the caramel and pine taste. This is a sipper and I want this again, but only one per tasting.

3.63/5  rDev -5.7%

Bottle@home

A: Amber with a huge white head and plenty of lacing.

S: Caramel, Hops, Pine, Hay.

Flavor: Alcohol, Caramel, Citric notes, Hops.

M: Quite sweet but ends with a kicking bitterness.

Quite one-dimensional but it drinks very easily for something close to 10% and 1000 ibus. Heard this beer is way better at draught. Oh well.

2.83/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into Duck rabbit snifter.

Pours a half finger of creamy head. Fades down fast but good retention after that. Leaves some nice lacing. Color is a very hazed orange copper.

Aroma: Massive hop profile. Sweet floral hops with some pine. Caramel flavors as well. I can't really tell this is 1000 ibus. Very unique aroma.

Taste: Massive floral hops. Basically like chewing on flowers. Lots of citrus, grapefruit. Lots of malts in there as well. Caramel flavors stick out the most.

Mouthfeel: Big bodied and chewy. Not as bitter as I was expecting, but still bitter. Decent amount of carbonation. Ends sticky.

Overall, I think this beer is somewhat of a joke. It can't possibly be near 1000 ibu. I really don't know what mik is trying to do with this beer. It is unique and worth a try I guess (if you want to pay the $13 a bottle). Somewhat drinkable.

3.73/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured into a Delirium Tremens tulip.

Surprisingly dark. One finger cream head. Opaque amber with some yeasty bits floating around. Reside to a bubbly layer of foam. Specs of bubbles left on the side of the glass.

Smells like a brewery. I was actually just at Stone and it smells just like the brewery. Super citrusy and more so floral, kind of like hop pellets.

Tastes like bitterness. Lots of citrus, orange rind and lemon zest, and tons of pine/spearmint flavors. There is some caramel from the malts as well. Almost like a super hopped Barleywine. Maybe some bubble gum too. A tad under attenuated.

Very thick with low carbonation, and a very creamy mouthfeel.

The drinkability was good, all things considered. ABV was well hidden, and the bitterness was not overwhelming.

Mikkeller pretty much achieved what they were going for here. This beer was so full of hop oils and juices that it reminded me of the smell of a brewery. I think that says a lot.

3.95/5  rDev +2.6%

A: Pours a murky brown with amber highlights, capped by a one finger off white head. Retention is solid and leaves some spotty lacing.

S: Strong hops up front, with a predominance of piney notes. Some grassiness and citrus character is there as well, especially grapefruit, but the piney notes are strongest. A fairly sweet blend of caramel and bready malts lurk in the background.

T: Not as bitter as one would expect for a beer named "1000 IBU", at least upfront. Lots of earthy hops up front, giving way to citrus in the middle along with some of the malt base. The finish kicks the bitterness up in a serious way, leaving a STRONG aftertaste of earthy and piney hops with just the slightest bit of caramel sweetness.

M: Rather full bodied with fairly low carbonation, very sticky in the mouth.

D: The aftertaste definitely knocks this down a half point, not in a bad way, just in the sense that it's very strong and definitely keeps this from being one to session.

3.85/5  rDev 0%

12.7 oz. bottle,

A: Pours murky used paintwater brown with a loft of floating yeast. It's topped by a firm long-lasting frothy head leaving thick lace.

S: Fair amount of malt, has a very green and piney dank aroma.

T: Very woody, not overly bitter, much more of an herb floral aspect to the hops. Some crystal malt and molasses are there as well.

M: Very resiny and sticky. Chewy with hop oil. Very light carbonation with a long aftertaste.

D: While this was fun to try, it's not giving me a transcendent hop experience by any means. Just another good well-made DIPA on the market, but at the price, I'm not planning on buying it again.

4.2/5  rDev +9.1%

This beer pours a surprisingly dark and murky amber with a bubbly thick light tan head. The aroma is also surprising in that it has a very earthy and piney, slightly fruity hop aroma that is accentuated by caramel malt sweetness. The flavor is wonderfully balanced. Very bitter to be sure, but there is enough sweetness to balance it out. The hop character is both herbal and slightly citrusy, with white grapefruit and earthy notes. I am also tasting brown sugar, pine, raisin, pepper and other spices. This is a very interesting beer in that it seems like it is stuck in limbo between an American barleywine and an American double IPA. Medium to full bodied and quite smooth with a finish that is making my mouth go nuts. For being 1,000 IBUs, it does not taste that bitter, (and yes, I realize that the tongue supposedly hits a wall at 100 IBU) but it has a drying finish the likes of which I have never experienced. This beer goes down surprisingly easily, and I would say is quite drinkable, though when I take a break to type, my mouth feels a bit like I was stranded in the dessert. Gimmick or not, this beer was defiantly worth the price of admission. Don't listen to the haters.

3.9/5  rDev +1.3%

Thanks for sending this one out, Phil!

Pours into tulip with a great head, nice tannish foam atop a disgusting murky sewage brown-burnt orange color. Abundance of dotted lace.

Well yes, the aroma is hoppy but definitely not as great as you would expect from the hype and name of this brew. Pungent and powerful still, citrusy, grapefruit peel and some more herbal-flowery notes. But behind the hops, there is a certain heartiness... kind of a dark, almost earthy quality to it.

The taste isn't as bitter as you would expect either, medium level of bitterness. Citrus peel, fresh squeezed grapefruit juice and that darkish-earthy character that is mingling with the malt profile. Good substance to this brew, not quite chewy but there is some residual sugar here. Upper end of medium bodied beers and good drinkability for 9.6. Nice to try, and really isn't too bad at all despite all the gimmicks. Thanks for the chance!

3.88/5  rDev +0.8%

Appearance - murky, brown/red with a thick off white head that lasts a long time

Smell - HOPS (of course) mostly grapefruit with a hint of pine

Mouthfeel - thick and chewy, with a resinous residual feel. Moderate carbonation.

Taste - Malt first then transitions quickly to HOPS, with a clean bitter finish. It actually tastes better than I thought it would, but I would never buy a second bottle. If I had gotten a 4 pack for the price of the one bottle, I may be inclined to revisit it, but there are FAR to many great DIPA's out there to spend this kind of money on an average brew.

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured into a pint glass from the bottle

A-Very sexy deep deep amber color with a very nice creamy white 2 finger head.

S-GRassy hops and lots of them. Very citrusy as well you get alot of fruit in the nose that doesnt nessasarly translate to the flavor

T-The hops while smell very crassy come off very citrusy, very grapefruity beer. Alchol is near completely drown out by the flavor/hop overload. Nowhere near the hoppiest beer i've ever drank but the for sure have a shot at one of the most bitter.

M-Was a little flat and came across very dry for an american double. Medium straight forward body

D-It was ok for drinking but there really wouldnt be any way I'd pay as much as the bottle was again for it it lacked some of the complexity that I find very appealing for an IPA and just went for the shock factor it seemed, it delevered to a point.

1000 IBU from Mikkeller ApS