1000 IBU - Mikkeller ApS

1000 IBU1000 IBU

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

Brewed at De Proefbrouwerij.

(Beer added by: Nickls on 03-16-2010)
3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

A: Pours a murky brownish red with an eggshell head that retais nicely with some decent lacing. Although it sat still for some time, there is a hefty amount of fine sediment. Even with a slow pour.

S: Hops are dominant. Hints of pine, grass, and some citrus, along with malt notes of caramel and dried fruit.

T: Balanced between hops and malt. Caramel and toffee, along with some honey flavor. It's all followed up with a mouthfull of hops. Pine, citrus, flowers, and spring meadow character make the finish crisp, dry, and brutally bitter.

M: Medium bodied, but the resinous hops make this beer a viscous, syrupy bruiser.

D: Quite drinkable, although I would assume this beer to be more like 70 IBUs. It is very good, and worth a try, but the price and hype is a bit overdone.

WYVYRN527, May 05, 2010
4.08/5  rDev +5.4%

Notes taken at Flying Saucer 5/2/10. Nice looking bottle presentation. Cork and caged wrapped in green paper.

A: pours thick and murky. Mild lacing with thin one finger dark white head. Sediment floats in the glass

S: hops dominate the nose with hints of bread, biscuits, citrus, tart fruits, vanilla, oak, musty pine

T: fruity hops mixed with a heavy malt backbone and a little sugary sweetness. some alcohol is noticeable.

M: bitter, but not as bitter as I was expecting. thick and chewy with medium carbonation and a dry finish

D: it's a sipper for sure and I could probably have more than one but I don't think I'd want to. bitterness is not as overwhelming as I was hoping for.

Overall a good DIPA but didn't really live up to the hype, or the price. I love a good bitter DIPA but I've had more bitter than this at half the price. Glad I tried it but not sure I'd seek out again.

CosmoHopHead, May 03, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +9%

Poured into tulip glass. Dark dense ruby/amber with thick head (more head then I expeted ) with nice lacing.

The first thing I detected oddly enough was some malt sweetness in the nose, as the head dissipated the hops took the forefront, mainly piney and citrus no real floral quality to the hop aroma.

Much like the smell the first detected the malt sweet syrupy with definite caramel, tropical fruits and a hit of vanilla. The malt was not overwhelming but present. When I began the glass the hops was more piny, bitterness wrapped the tongue and lingered for quite some time. As the glass warmed more grapefruit ans citrus was apparent. This beer is surprising balanced, this was a bitter beer but The bitterness lingers and wraps around your tongue if you have a hop itch you haven't been able to scratch this will do it for you.

If it wasn't for the price I would definitely pick this up

drpdaddy, May 03, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +10.6%

I bought this beer half-expecting a disappointment and rather severe buyer's remorse over the price, but 1000 IBU is quite good. The bottle, corked, caged and wrapped up like a present, is very nice looking. It's hefty glass (same little green bottles as Oud Beersel, Bacchus, others?) and the label art is aesthetically pleasing - the green label/wrapper with green glass provides some foreshadowing. 1000 IBU pours fire brick red/carnelian with a big thick ecru-colored head. Lots of lacing. The aroma is a smörgåsbord of hop flavors. In vague order of strength: floral, pine resin, candied oranges, spruce, grapefruit rind, marijuana, grass, crushed leaves - leaving hops - caramel, bread, malt extract. That said, it's not nearly as strong of an aroma as I was expecting and this is the biggest fault that separates it from the heights of the style. The flavor loses nearly all of the malt flavor and just hits with a huge pine resin bitterness. This isn't the bitterest hop bomb I've ever tried, but it has the longest bitter hop finish. There's some sense of malt sweetness, but it's hard to appreciate as my palate takes refuge from the ceaseless onslaught of hops. And I mean that as a compliment. This beer doesn't have the round, delicate hoppiness of the best DIPAs and, again, it's not the bitterest, but it's possibly the most hoppy beer I've had. A good five minutes after my last sip, it still feels like my mouth is full of resiny essential oils squeezed from pine needles and grapefruit pith. While this beer might be a somewhat tongue in cheek effort, Mikkeller still made a hell of a hop bomb. Mouthfeel is about medium and I would actually prefer it a bit thicker - not something I normally say with respect to DIPAs, but 1000 IBU is an abnormal DIPA. This beer is more of a hop wine, like a light barleywine blended half and half with hop extract. Obviously, this isn't exactly a good candidate for a session beer but a rather interesting experiment and a challenge to the taste buds.

Later thoughts: Hops have a mildly soporific effect, and I've never felt it quite as much as from this beer. Time for bed.

popery, May 02, 2010
3.73/5  rDev -3.6%

12.7oz. bottle served into a tulip glass

Pours a rather unattractive burnt sienna color. It looks kind of gloopy sitting in the Great Divide tulip that I am using. Burned caramel, I suppose you could call the color of its body. The head is full-fledged tan. What an unexpectedly brown IIPA. That tan head though is two fingers or more at its peak, with soapy lacing.

I actually get a mostly malt-forward aroma out of this beer. Didn't see that one coming. Caramel malt, deep malt, hits with blunt force. The malt smells are slick with hop resin. Lingering orange and pine permeate throughout. This is totally a malty-smelling beer though. Which can be fine; I've had malty IIPAs that were quite good (Great Divide 15th Anniversary Oak Aged, for instance). The aroma doesn't matchup with the title of the beer or the hype surrounding it.

Yup, just as the nose predicted, this is a malt-forward IIPA. Caramely, sugary malted barely flavors carry the day. They are accentuated by deeply bitter pine. Not any real citrus on the palate. Just malt and bitterness and floral notes and some yeast flavors to boot. You may be surprised that my scores are not low considering how the text of my review seems to be slamming this beer. The truth is that 1000 IBU tastes good, even though it is coming up very, very, very short of the West Coast, USA, standards for the style.

Mouthfeel is actually pretty light despite all the malt flavors. This lightness could stand to be made a bit thicker. Drinkability is top-notch. This bottle disappeared quickly, even though I was disappointed at it. The flavors are smooth.

Did I purchase a bad bottle? It is a possibility. I would never have thought that a beer called 1000 IBU would be so malty. This beer reminds me in many ways of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot. The malt flavors are prevalent but tasty and the hops provide an incredibly bitter backbone to the drink. I wish that I had gotten to taste the 1000 IBU that most people have had -- the version where it is an out-and-out hop bomb -- but whatever I am drinking now is pretty good.

Reaper16, Apr 30, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +11.1%

Picked this up on the way home from work today...poured into a tulip from it's green, caged and corked, 12.7oz bottle

A: Looks tasty...about a half inch head rests above a murky pool of yeast sediment...the color is almost red, but more of a burnt orange...lots of steady carbonation rising to the top

S: Not too pungent of a smell, but grapefruit leads the way...expecting this too have much more of a kick upon tasting...with a name like 1000 IBU, it's got too

T: As expected, a hop explosion...smacks the taste buds with a delicious grapefruit bitterness...I love DIPA's, and this is definitely the most bitter one I have had...leaves the mouth salivating for more...although the hops dominate this beer, the malts are still very present...resiny caramel goodness

M: A little more carbonated than your typical American DIPA, but still goes down with ease...very nice bitterness on the tongue

D: A nice sipper...one to enjoy and take your time with...an overall dank beverage

HomeBrewed, Apr 30, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured from a corked and caged bottle with green paper wrapped around it into a nonic pint glass.

A: A dark orange brownish cloudy color with a light brown small head. Some spotty glass lacing.

S: Wow, huge amounts of spruce and pine smells, like walking through a Christmas tree farm. Some slight citrus mixes in as well as a hefty sweet malt smell.

T: First flavor is actually of the deep caramel malt which makes way for the huge amounts of pine flavors. The pine mixes with some citrus flavors as the heavy malt firmly stays in place. Turns a bit more sugar sweet before the massive bitterness and slight alcohol finishes out the beer. Wow, it is very bitter on the finish and makes you pucker. Nice!

M: Full, coating, prickly, alcohol, bitter. Lots going on.

D: Medium. This is one bruising beer when you mix the hops, malt and alcohol together. One bottle is enough.

Overall a very hoppy beer that needs a huge malt bill to support it. Is it 1000 IBUs? Maybe, but the huge malt flavor keeps it very drinkable. A very nice beer that I was super pleased to try, but not a beer I would drink often due to the price. Still a great, great beer.

Kadonny, Apr 29, 2010
3.05/5  rDev -21.2%

Yet another interesting bottle shared by nickd717. Thanks, Nick.

Mikkeller's latest gimmick sits in the glass a cloudy dark copper color with a large, lasting and frothy head atop.

Resiny pine and grapefruit scents emanate from the glass, this is monstrously hoppy but equally malty. A substantial caramel malt backbone is present just beneath the hops, providing ample sweetness that I find slightly detracting.

Sweet caramel and pine flavors hit the palate with equal strength up front. The bitterness begins to take hold mid-palate, and it is an impressively long and bitter finish, though it's not necessarily more bitter than your average DIPA. Decent stuff, the sweetness does a lot to balance the hops. The only sign that this is hopped as heavily as it is comes from long bitter finish, which grows rather tiring and astringent after a few ounces.

largadeer, Apr 29, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Murky orange-brown with a quarter-inch off-white head that thins out a bit but remains full. Lots of sediment that hangs about in the beer. Not a very attractive beer; I did my best to keep the gunk out but to no avail. So I won't knock it too hard because I've heard you're not supposed to let all that stuff out of the bottle and into the glass.
Smell is a big improvement, with earthy, piney hops and citrus up front, and some ample malts right along. Some pineapple following, with some cinnamon on the malts.
Taste is quite bitter, with a strong, underlying hop current that joins with some well-balanced malts. Both hops and malts carry a good way, with the malts coming to the finish. Interestingly enough, there's a faint buttery aspect to the malts at the finish. Citrus tones come in near the middle, notably pineapple.
Mouthfeel is crisp-like, though not due to carbonation, but from the bitter, biting hops. Carbonation seems low, with a medium body. Slightly sticky on the finish.
Drinkability is very good. The alcohol is very well-hidden, and the taste of this IPA is delicious and quite unlike any IPA I've had before. I wish I had another bottle, but this one is a bit too expensive.

Parrotbeak, Apr 28, 2010
4.05/5  rDev +4.7%

Corked and caged in a paper wrapped bottle. The presentation is nice, but I'm not liking what I'm seeing in the glass. Murky brown color, a brown tinted head, and specs of yeast in suspension. Not really appetizing, although it keeps a decent head.

I had high expectations for the aroma of 1000 ibu, and I was still impressed. The strength of hops in the nose is top notch, with a hearty malt base evident. The hops are dark and dank smelling, with earhty and herbal notes, pine and tree, and some orange and grapefruit peel. The only thing that is keeping this from a perfect 5 is my preference for bright, fruity hops in DIPA's, but I still like what they did here.

This is bitter, but it probably isn't the most bitter tasting beer I've had. The hop flavor is intense, with more bright and fruity hops than the nose suggested. There is a big malt base to this beer, which work well with the dirt and earth notes from the hops.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied all the way through, and is average for the style. The carbonation is higher than average but is welcome in this beer...it helped with all the swirls and sniffs. The idea for this beer is gimicky, and I didn't leave thinking this was the hoppiest beer I've had, but it was still very good.

jeffthecheff, Apr 26, 2010
4.18/5  rDev +8%

12.7 ounce bottle, corked and caged, poured into my tulip glass - thanks to a kind brother-in-law for the B-day gift! I am going to try to ignore the novelty and review it as a normal beer...

A - Pours a murky orange - appears a lot thicker than I expected. About a one finger head is present on my slow pour.

S - Great fruity hop aromas are balanced on a clearly sweet malt backbone. It smells great.

T&M - Dang it. I'm finding myself comparing this to the hype. A lot of comments are saying this isn't really a contender for the most hoppy beer ever. I disagree. There is a pretty significant malt presence here, and the hop presence almost makes you forget that. It is unique that something so malty can at the same time be unbalanced in the favor of bitterness. It's an unbalanced that I am enjoying though - the finish is an assault of bitterness that lingers for quite a while.

Mouthfeel is tricky - the unbalance makes it seem light, dry, and in need of more substance to support the bitterness, but it actually is relatively thick...

D - This beer is just full of contradictions - big malts that taste light, unbalanced flavors that are enjoyable... I am not surprised to say this is surprisingly drinkable. I'm a little bummed it is only 12.7 oz, especially at the price.

I probably wouldn't buy this regularly, but it is an interesting beer, and definitely worth trying.

dougofthefuture, Apr 25, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +17.6%

Nice bottle presentation. Wrapped in green paper with similar bottle design. Cork under wire cage. What appears to be a date printed on the cork 14/01/12.

A- Hazy orangish/brown color. Good two finger head with lots of lacing.

S- Smells like hops! Like a fresh, wet hop field. Plenty of citrus and a good sweet malt presence. Ripe grapefruit.

T- I don't know about 1000 IBU but definitly a great hop base. Well balanced IMO. Super balnced, with plenty of bitterness and hoppy goodness to qualify as an IIPA. Starts out Sweet and bitter followed by the creamy malt background. Leaves a stingy sweet after taste. Alcohol is there but blends well with all the flavors. Not sure if this one lives up to the hype but for sure a well constructed beer that deserves much respect.

D- Very drinkable and enjoyable. A pricy beer that I would not mind buying again. Yum.

dankbrew21, Apr 24, 2010
4.03/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured from the really well packaged bottle. Nice presentation. Poured into a tulip glass. Pours a murky amber with tons of floaties. Thin off white head that produces good lacing. Sugary, malty aroma with a bit of pine. Taste is similar- smooth caramel at first with some piny hop bite to it. Then a fantastic bitter finish- sweet but bitingly bitter. The bitterness in the mouthfeel stays with you for a while. Nice beer- glad I picked it up today at Granite in Weymouth.

DrDogbeer, Apr 24, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This beer was not at all what I expected, but that turned out to be a nice suprise.

The look of the beer is very murky, with an orangy brown color, and a nice thick tan head. The first thing I notice it that it smells very much like what boiling wort smells like right after you toss a bunch of hops in. Despite this it is less pungent than I expected and had a very nice aroma consisting of mostly pineyness with just a hint of what felt to me like lemon and floral notes.

The taste is a little sweet, but still quite dry and smooth, lending the beer to be much more balanced than I had anticipated. It immediately tastes heavy on caramel and toasty flavor, which quickly leads to a nice crisp hop bite, consisting of more citrus flavor than the head, and a nice alcohol warmth. As the aftertaste lingers (and it does for quite some time) it starts to turn slightly oily from all the hops which makes it seem less dry, in spite of the lingering bitter which I personally found quite pleasant.

The oddest thing I found was that when I burped after drinking this, it smelled EXACTLY like someone has opened a bag of fresh hops and stuck my nose in it.

Let me just say I'm a hop head, and I loved this beer. I really wish I could get my hands on this again (consistantly).

HomebrewerBrian, Apr 22, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - deep amber, but went a little too far on the pour as there is a certain amount of yeast poured into the glass, making it opaque.

S - Fruity, citrusy, piney

T - Excellent! About as hoppy as I've tasted in a 9.6% beer... obviously not 1000, but that's literally impossible... more like 100-120 or so. Certainly enough to satisfy this hophead for now, but I wonder how many lbs of hops were wasted at this ridiculous attempt to over-hop.

M - creamy and smooth. I like a little more carbonation in my hoppy beers... adds to the hop impact in my opinion, but the double IPAs tend to be creamier, so this is expected.

D - I could drink several of these if they weren't $13 a pop... it's a shame. Personally I'd take a Founder's Devil Dancer over this for price/quality ratio, but well worth the try!

BelgianPrincess, Apr 22, 2010
3.48/5  rDev -10.1%

500ml bottle from K&L Redwood City. WAAAAY overpriced at $14, but the hype sucked me in.

Pours dirty, muddy amber-brown with a small lasting white head. Looks sludgy and sedimenty, not attractive.

Aroma is pretty nice, with citrusy and piney hops as well as a little caramel. I'm getting more like 80-100 IBU here, not 1000.

Flavor is decent. Not as good as I expected, and hell, not as hoppy. That's because 1000 IBU is way over the amount that's even possible in a beer, so the premise of this is sort of a joke. Citrusy, piney, and resinous hops, and a surprising amount of caramel malt poking through. Pretty bitter, but not outstandingly so.

Medium-full bodied and mildly palate-wrecking, although I've had other beers wreck my palate a lot more. Sort of a letdown.

Overall, what did you expect? It's a silly gimmick, and I'm just not a huge fan of silly gimmick beers these days. It should probably score higher than this, but I'm judging this against what Mikkeller purported this beer to be: a 1000 IBU double IPA. Basically the hoppiest, craziest thing ever. Frankly, it fails at this. It's hoppy, but I've had hoppier.

nickd717, Apr 21, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +17.1%

Appearance is a super-dark, murky amber with a fat-ass tan/light brown head and shit floating around all over the place. The smell is of HOPS. Super piney, earthy, and a little sweet malt that reminds me of caramel.

The flavor is much like the smell. One of the hoppiest ipas I've ever had. Super bitter. Super piney. There is, however, a big malt presence, and the sweetness is reminiscent, as in the smell, of caramel. A lot of good things going on here.

One of the best mouthfeels for an IPA. Nice and thick, but with perfect carbonation that allows it to still be super drinkable. Overall, a great beer. This is definitely one you would only want to have fresh though.

jdklks, Apr 21, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured into a tulip from a 12.7 fl oz bottle.

A - Pours a muddy and very hazy brown color with a big 1.5 head and there was some sediment in there as well. There is some nice sticky lacing from the off-white head.

S - Starts off with very piney and grapefruit citric character from the hops. There is also a nice boozy and very caramel like malt notes. Very strong DIPA aroma profile. Very hopy nose along with all the fruit (grape, raisins) and caramel.

T - Starts off with intense citric and grapefruit hints form the hops. Very dry and hopy. There is some grain flavor in there as well but its mostly hops. Some caramel sweetness in the flavor along with some mild boozy heat. Very syrupy.

M - Good full body. Nice and oily. My only gripe is that I wish it was just a bit more balanced.

D - Very intense flavors and high ABV. Medium drinkability.

JoEBoBpr, Apr 20, 2010
3.88/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Opaque brown with orange-red glow. Thin, off-white head and great lace.

S- Piney, resiny, almost sap-y, brown sugar, caramel, and some pungent fruit

T- Pine, resin, apricot, sharp grapefruit/citrus, brown sugar, tropical fruit, strawberry, brown sugar, grainy/bready, burnt sugar. Lingering grapefruit bitterness should please fellow hop-heads.

M- Big. Chewy, syrupy, thick with the perfect amount of carbo to back it. I'm not usually one for beers that I would describe as "chewy" or "syrupy" but with the intense resiny hop character it works well. Also there's a bit of alcohol warmth, but it is pleasant and not overwhelming.

D- Drinkable for the style if tons of bitterness doesn't phase you. (and if bitterness does phase you, you have no place buying a beer that is named 1000 IBU) There is some alcohol warmth, but as is stated above it is pleasant.

anchordrinker, Apr 18, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

Served from a 12.7oz. bottle purchased at the Perfect Pour in Columbia, Maryland into my Brooklyn Brewery snifter at the appropriate temperature (04/11/10).

A: Pours a cloudy golden light shade of caramel capped with two finger of a creamy and frothy off-white head. Exceptional retention and lots of thick lacing lacing.

S: Great aroma consisting of layer of citrus hops and a very light malt. The hops smell great in this one and they are very citrus forward.

T: Quite bitter, but not overwhelming and the citrus flavor are intense and quite fresh. Lots of orange, tropical fruit, pineapple, lemon and mango going on. Some pine is there as well, but citrus steals the show in this one.

M: Medium to full-bodied with moderate and creamy carbonation. A lingering bitterness rounds things out.

D: Very easy to drink and the 9.6% abv is hidden to perfection. I love the bitterness in this one.

Overall this is a great DIPA that I wish was a bit cheaper, but the quality is certainly apparent. If you see it on the shelf pick one up and enjoy! Recommended.

Lunch, Apr 15, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured from a corked and caged 12.7oz bottle into a Mikkeller tulip.

Cork dated 1 /01/12

A: Pours an absolutely beautiful, toasted-orange/caramel brown color that's completely cloudy. Topping this is about two full fingers of creamy, meringue-like, khaki colored head that retains for ages and leaves sheets and ropes of sticky lace behind. Loads of suspended sediment.

S: Incredible hop aroma. Runs the gamut from pine, to mango, pineapple, clementine, and grass clippings. Rich maltiness rears its' head with aromas of caramel, vanilla, and pie crust (!). Alcohol is obviously present, but mainly in the background.

T: The flavor follows the aroma very closely with the exception being the alcohol. Alcohol is more obvoious here in the taste with it taking on subtle minty qualities. Pine, caramel, and tropical fruit are the big players.

M: Quite slick and smooth with big stickiness. Resinous pine and alcohol are the big contributors to the perception of the supposed 1000 IBU's. Although the alcohol is there, I didn't find it to be intrusive in the least.

D: What can I say? This beer really wowed me. I was expecting a raw-assed sawblade hop bomb of a DIPA. And it mostly delivered. Thankfully the raw, hotness I expected was tempered by the balancing maltiness. Thank you Mikkel, thank you!

GbVDave, Apr 14, 2010
3.83/5  rDev -1%

375mL paper-wrapped cork-and-caged bottle.

Pours a dark murky caramel brown with orange highlights and an enormous off-white head that settles in as a rocky one-inch cap, leaving sheets of lacing.

The aroma is obviously hoppy with some pithy citrus notes, grapefruit and pineapple, as well as some resionous pine. There is also a surprisingly sweet malt presence in the nose as well.

The taste is much, much heavier on the floral pine hops than the citrus. This has to be close to what drinking pine sap would be like. It's intensely bitter up front and leaves a sticky hop bitterness in the finish. The sweet malts are still very present and I want to say it balances things, but probably not.

Mouthfeel is full bodied and just plain syrupy from the hops. Pithy, resionous sticky hop finish. After a few sips, the burn of the alcohol starts to build up.

Well, there are a ton of hops and a ton of malts in this one but I wouldn't exactly call it balanced. It's just big all the way around. It's pretty tasty, really sweet but really bitter at the same time, but is certainly not one of the more drinkable DIPAs I've had.

gford217, Apr 12, 2010
4.08/5  rDev +5.4%

A - Poured out a somewhat murky, burgundy/light brown color with a thick, tan head of long-lasting foam. It left sticky rings of lace.

S - It smelled strongly of grapefruit, orange peel and pine. There was a toasty malt aroma, too.

T - It tasted sweet and malty with some bitter piney hops. The grapefruit and orange flavors were good, too.

M - It was crisp, sharp and very dry. A medium bodied beer.

D - This was easier drinking than one would expect for a beer called "1000 IBU" . It was not nearly as bitter as I expected but tasty and worth a try.

zeff80, Apr 12, 2010
4.8/5  rDev +24%

12.7 oz green bottle, corked, caged, and covered in paper. Very nice packaging.

Served very lightly chilled (15 min in fridge). It pours into my American pint glass a thick brownish orange/red with an abundance of hop bits floating around. I alwasy love the appearence of the unfiltered DIPAs. THe head is huge, off-white, and foamy. It sticks for a long time and slowly receds with some very nice lacing.

The smell is really good, I'm sure if it were colder it would be less fragrant but this is exquisite. Of course there is some simcoe in there which I love. It is piney, perfumey, citrusy, and intensely concentrated. It is a pure hop aroma.

This beer is dynamite on the taste buds, it is about as bitter as you can get with a decent malt backing. The simcoe stars again here. I really enjoyed Mikkeller's single hop simcoe and Weyerbachers Unfiltered Double Simcoe, but this one takes the cake. If you love this hop variety you will love this beer. The hop flavor coats the mouth like a resin. The hops are just so over the top but yet tamed by the thin but sweet maltiness. It is like drinking Simcoe juice.

If you like the bitter feeling pounding in your mouth this one is for you. To me it is extremely drinkable both for the alcohol percentage (which has no presence in the mouth) and the style in general. I am a sucker for the Simcoe.

This beer has a gimmicky cloak, yes it is 1000 ibus theoretically, but it is also a fantastic take on the DIPA. The brewer specifically stated that it was meant to show how an extreme beer can be a drinkable and enjoyable one. It is too bad it is so expensive and rare, otherwise it would easily be a go to DIPA along with Pliny and Hopslam.

crossovert, Apr 11, 2010
2.85/5  rDev -26.4%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Shared by nickd717. Thanks Nick.

A: Pours a very sedimentary hazy golden body with very fluffy tan foam. Great retention.

S: A very American barleywine aroma. Candied grapefruit, tangerines, orange, spice, pine, and herbal aromas. Malt is quite strong in burnt caramel and sugar cookie aromas. A little booze sting.

T: Initially quite sweet: caramel, sugar cookie. Then hop flavors (but not a lot of hop bitterness) enters the picture: citrus, some pine, and a LOT of grass. The grass pulls into the aftertaste where it remains as a lingering mild bitterness.

M: I expected more bitterness, not that I would have enjoyed that. It's a little boozy, which makes sense now that I see it's almost 10%. Kind of chewy. Moderate carbonation.

D: It was interesting for the novelty, but on a pure flavor basis, this beer does nothing for me. Certainly nothing I'd go out of my way to drink again.

Arbitrator, Apr 11, 2010