Black Tie - Mikkeller ApS

Black TieBlack Tie

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.50% ABV

Black Tie was first dubbed Mandeøl (Man Beer). It was brewed for the Swedish market and only as draught beer. After spending four months in Scottish whiskey barrels and then being bottled it earned it's present name, Black Tie. Black Tie is an imperial stout with honey and smoked barley. Sweet, smokey and sophisticated - slick and sexy like a black tie.

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.

(Beer added by: niklas0770 on 06-16-2010)
Reviews by RoyalT:
4.05/5  rDev +5.7%

Appearance - This is indeed black as night with an incredibly dark head. The head was quite amazing and unusual. It didn't come up at first but then I got an easy two inches at the end of the bottle. It was a very dark brown like the color of dark brown sugar. Either way, the depth of color along with the terrific lacing that it left on the inside of my chalice earns this one a perfect score on appearance.

Smell - There's some good, lightly-roasted malt in here but the smoke, although not overpowering, clashes with the malty goodness. The sugars are raw and brown but again somewhat muted.

Taste - The malts are more roasted than I thought. They are very dark, almost burnt, but again don't mix well with the light smoke. The sugars are not explosive but well done.

Mouthfeel - This is full-bodied with some serious bitterness throughout. The finish is a soft, lingering smokiness like the last draw of a fine cigar.

Drinkability - This is very drinkable for such a high ABV ale. It might be too bitter for some but I enjoyed it.

4.13/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured black as an oil slick with a thin deep beige head that was gone pretty quickly,Scotch whiskey all over the place in the nose,peat smoke,caramel,and port-like deep fruit and leather,alot going on and it was all good.Mouth coating thick mouthfeel made for great sipping,flavors of smoke,caramel/vanilla,and dark fruit are quite rich.A great savoring sipping brew,its thick and warming.

3.4/5  rDev -11.2%

Thanks to bu11zeye for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a black color with a tan head. The aroma is full of chocolate, with some light smoke, burnt malt and a little bit of oak. The beer is very burnt tasting. The malt is heavily charred, but there is also a little bit of chocolate and whiskey. I also unfortunately get a little bit of bandaid character in the flavor. Thick mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

2.38/5  rDev -37.9%

Bottle

Pour It Black
Stone Brew Co.
Escondido, CA

Black throughout with nearly no head and very little visible carbonation. This beer doesn't leave much at all in the way of lace or stick, though that can be expected at this ABV.

The aroma is not particularly pleasant. There's a lot of melted rubber (or plastic?) character in the nose along with tons of char and stale smoke. Unpleasant.

The flavor follows the aroma, unfortunately. While there's a huge amount of smoke flavor, it doesn't seem particularly earthy or meaty--just stale, sort of like an old casino ashtray. The melted rubber/plastic character is back as well.

Medium to thick bodied with low carbonation--oily and extremely rich. The beer does at least succeed here.

I advise you not to drink this.

1.5/5  rDev -60.8%

4.9/5  rDev +27.9%

Wow. Poured into my Zatec fluted glass from a 500 ml bottle. Holy crap is it ever black. A finger of brick colored head, medium retention, decent lacing. Smells oh god of honey. I didn't read too much into the making of, but seems probably like Highland barrels. Some nice roasty coffee on the nose as well. Tastes glorious. Honey up front flowing into burnt dry coffee and then fading out into more of a sugared coffee. A bit of dark chocolate as well. Mouthfeel is it's only flaw, and it's minor. A bit thin on the tongue, but still nice and creamy. I wanted to give this a perfect score from the taste and smell, but couldn't do it. Nice warming alcohol in me, but not overpowering for near 11%.

3.98/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a pitch black color with a small tight brown head that settles into a light ring. The aroma is very unique. I pick up smoke, ash, licorice, molasses, roasted malt and a bizarre band aid scent. Perhaps some alcohol vapors as well. The smoke flavor is forefront in the profile; its strong but the malt body can handle it. There is some ashy characteristics as well to go along with a strong roasted malt. Tart berry fruitiness and the honey add some additional complexity. Luckily the bizarre phenols in the aroma don't come through in the taste. The feel is thick and chewy with tingly carbonation; bitter aftertaste from the smoke and roasted malt. This is a very bold stout; strong roasted flavors to go with a strong smoke presence. I like smoke in my beers so this works for me. It is a bit ashy but I think it works well with this stout. The ABV does peak through at times.

3.38/5  rDev -11.7%

Batch No: 427
Brygget (brewed?): 180509
Best Before: 180514

A - A great looking pour. Pitch black, dark brown head that eventually fades to a complete lacing across the top of the beer. 8oz pour into a Founders tulip. Sticks well to the side when swirled. It appears to be a magnificent stout.

S - Rubbing alcohol mixed with scotch? As it settles I start to get a permanent marker odor instead of the previously noted aroma. Sharpie is seriously what I smell in passing. I suppose than another interpretation could be scotch mixed with smoke, but I'll stick with Sharpie. Poor aroma.

T - Smoke the whole way through, especially at the end and on the tongue. The thickness helps the flavor stick around. I can't decide if I really like this or think it is sub-par after my 2nd sip. It tastes a lot like dark roasted malts turning almost immediately into a smokey stout. I think if I preferred smoked stouts, this beer would be magnificent. I actually don't like smoked stouts, but I refuse to dock the beer due to my personal preference here. I am bumping the score due to balance. I will admit, there is a great amount of balance throughout each sip I take. The further I get into my pour, the better the taste gets. I begin to get the subtle burnt wood instead of just "smoke". Further down the glass, I start to find a small amount of sweetness that was otherwise hidden. I think this helps keep everything together. It really helps the drinkability.

M - Great body, great texture. I think this is what a stout should consist of....no real complaints here.

O - Even for a smokey beer, I actually think I will enjoy the rest of this bottle. The body/mouthfeel are beautiful. Flavor gets better as the sips continue. However, it still smells like a Sharpie. I would SPLIT a bottle of this in the future instead of opening it without company. I think if I smoked cigars, this beer would be perfect. If I'd known ahead of time that it would taste exactly like this, I would've split this and two cigars with my neighbor.

2.5/5  rDev -34.7%

1.55/5  rDev -59.5%

Man this was a bad beer... an abosultely over malted mess. yikes!

no head and totally flat. very viscous like motor oil.

Horrible taste. cigarette butts, ash and charcoal. Burnt malt. Ugh. Extremely hot. The Scotch barrel aging doesn't help with this one at all. The Scotch barrels added a awefull peaty taste. Basically this tastes like 100 cigarettes where put out in swamp water and they decided to bottle it.

I rarely bash a beer like this one. To me this is undrinkable. I cannot see age helping this one either. It is just an over malted burnt mess.

Drain pour and an expensive one at that as I paid almost 15.99$ for the 550 ML bottle.

4.8/5  rDev +25.3%

Bottle
Purchased at Bruisin' Ales in Asheville, NC
2009

Appearance: Black as night. Pours like motor oil into a snifter. Very little head, but not much needed - I feel this beer should drink like a fine wine, since it's been aged in scotch barrels.

Smell: Immediately a robust peaty smell followed by a spectrum of tastes: lemongrass, honey, hazelnut, musk, dark truffle, citrus, tobacco. Alcohol stings my nosehairs - but as a true imperial stout should.

Taste: The taste is very robust dark chocolate up front that dissolves across the palate into dark cerise cherries - it exits with a zing.

Mouthfeel: Big N Silky.

Overall: Doesn't make me feel froggy in the mouth which is always good.

4.33/5  rDev +13.1%

Ok, so here we have one I am literally giddy to be able to try. I had been saving this bottle, along with another one that crashed on the garage floor,( my bad) for a while till I had a reason to open it. Consumed via a couple snifters, late night on 7/04/2010.

Dark as night pour here, really just immensely black and evil looking from the start. A small but quickly fleeting head of light tan rises up from the bottom of the glass and sits on top for a brief moment before settling back down again. Aroma is burnt, smoked, and peaty, however you want to say it, wow. Dark leather and tobacco, smoked malts, rich, dark chocolate notes. Immense aroma of charred wood. Holy crap this is a beast. Warming brings out subtle vanilla, but barely as the bulk of this is just tremendous smoke. Each sip is rich, again seeped in smoked malts and rich campfire like tones. Smoked wood dominates as does subtle sweet notes of honey, light touches of vanilla and a rich leather and tobacco finish. ABV is definitely catching up to you here for sure by the end as each sip lets you know how big this one really is.

Overall one of the most intense selections I have had from them to date. The smoked profile is so huge that I just was amazed at the depth here. This is one to be careful with and surely a night cap.

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

A: The beer is jet black in color and poured with an oil slick-like mocha head that quickly dissipated. It poured almost like the consistency of motor oil.
S: There are strong aromas of scotch with notes of smoke and tobacco in the nose. Hints of roasted malts are also discernable.
T: The taste is very complex and consists of flavors of dark roasted malts, leather, smoke and tobacco along with some hints of oak. It is very well balanced.
M: It feels full-bodied on the palate with lots of warming sensations from the alcohol.
D: This is definitely a beer that needs to be sipped because of its complex flavors and strong alcohol content.

3.53/5  rDev -7.8%

My virgin Mikkeller experience.

Pitch black with slight hints of a dark red chocolate cake around the edges where the light hits the glass and in the head.

The smell. Oh the smell. I'm blown away with smokiness. Smells like a campfire that was extinguished a few hours ago with a package of Hersey bars that were intended for s'mores which were accidentally thrown in.

I get the barrel. I get the stout. I get chocolate. I get slight coffee. Im not sure if the intense smoke comes from the aging in scotch whiskey barrels or something else. It throws me off.

Im not a huge smoke beer guy. Not in the least.

4.38/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured from 500 mL bottle into snifter.
A: The absolute darkest beer I've had to date. Like a black hole it absorbs light. To top it off, it has a nice 3/4 inch uber dark chocolate head. Pours thick, dark, and heavy. Simply wonderful.
S: Dark roast coffee, sweet whiskey, dark roast malt, tobacco and charred wood.
T: Whiskey, dark roast coffee with cream, burnt and bitter chocolate malt, leather, tobacco, and a hint of sweetness in the background (honey?). All things dark and good. There is some dark dried fruit lurking under all of these assertive flavors that emerges with warming.
M: Super heavy, thick and chewy. Moderately dry and bitter. Mild sticky sweetness. Bitter coffee finish.
D: Definitely a sipper, but oh so good. They went all out on this brew. Almost too big though. If they could tone down the bitterness this would be an absolute home run. Tip of the cap to Mikkeller.

500ml bottle shared by twig86 - thanks, Derek!

Pours quite black with a one-finger, dark mocha head. Head dissipates rather quickly and leaves a light lace. The aroma is dominated by styrofoam packing peanuts, strangely (though admittedly, others in my tasting group didn't get this smell). Underneath the packing peanuts, there were notes of toasty malt, bitterweet chocolate and a strong scotch booziness. The taste is dominated by an intense bitter chocolate flavor with an underlying scotch component. The oak really comes through on the palette as well along with a lighter plastic flavor. Rather full-bodied and creamy with only light carbonation. Strong alcohol warming effect. Not particularly drinkable stuff due to the intensely bitter and boozy flavors, not to the mention the strange styrofoam aroma and light plasticy taste. I can't say I've been a big fan of many Mikkeller products aside from the Beer Geek Breakfast series, especially considering their high-end price point.

4.75/5  rDev +24%

4.47/5  rDev +16.7%

Mikkeller Black Tie

Appearance: very dark brown, small head, and some good lacing.

Smell: dark fruit, chocolate, and a sweetness.

Taste: roasted malts, cocoa, a faint sweetness, and a hint of dark fruit with a whiskey twist.

Mouthfeel: medium-heavy and smooth.

Overall:
This is a very pure stout. You can taste the quality of the ingredients. The barrel aging isn't overpowering at all.

Black Tie from Mikkeller ApS