Black Tie - Mikkeller ApS

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.50% ABV

Beer added by: niklas0770 on 06-16-2010

Black Tie was first dubbed Mandeøl (Man Beer). It was brewed for the Swedish market and only as draught beer. After spending four months in Scottish whiskey barrels and then being bottled it earned it's present name, Black Tie. Black Tie is an imperial stout with honey and smoked barley. Sweet, smokey and sophisticated - slick and sexy like a black tie.

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.
to view more.
Ratings: 98 | Reviews: 69
Reviews by johnnieoz:
3.82/5  rDev -0.5%

500ml brown bottle, batch nr etc section contains no visible information.

A: Deep black color with an espresso-colored head that dissipates rather quickly. Some lacing with bountiful tears on the side of the wine glass.

S: Honey aroma is strong on this one. But it is nearly balanced out by the Scotch infused wood.

T: Not as sweet as the nose would suggest...thankfully. Dark malts are present with some coffee and cocoa flavors, but the peaty Scotch and honey coat the palate.

M: Full-bodied and very dry with appropriate carbonation for the style.

D: A sipper that is boozy yet not overly hot.

The honey and Scotch combination sounded intriguing and promising, and the delivery is there. This is an unique imperial stout that some will love and some will hate. Not one of my favorites yet, but a quality beer that I suspect could grow on me.

4.14/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured black as an oil slick with a thin deep beige head that was gone pretty quickly,Scotch whiskey all over the place in the nose,peat smoke,caramel,and port-like deep fruit and leather,alot going on and it was all good.Mouth coating thick mouthfeel made for great sipping,flavors of smoke,caramel/vanilla,and dark fruit are quite rich.A great savoring sipping brew,its thick and warming.

4.06/5  rDev +5.7%

Appearance - This is indeed black as night with an incredibly dark head. The head was quite amazing and unusual. It didn't come up at first but then I got an easy two inches at the end of the bottle. It was a very dark brown like the color of dark brown sugar. Either way, the depth of color along with the terrific lacing that it left on the inside of my chalice earns this one a perfect score on appearance.

Smell - There's some good, lightly-roasted malt in here but the smoke, although not overpowering, clashes with the malty goodness. The sugars are raw and brown but again somewhat muted.

Taste - The malts are more roasted than I thought. They are very dark, almost burnt, but again don't mix well with the light smoke. The sugars are not explosive but well done.

Mouthfeel - This is full-bodied with some serious bitterness throughout. The finish is a soft, lingering smokiness like the last draw of a fine cigar.

Drinkability - This is very drinkable for such a high ABV ale. It might be too bitter for some but I enjoyed it.

3.45/5  rDev -10.2%

Thanks to bu11zeye for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a black color with a tan head. The aroma is full of chocolate, with some light smoke, burnt malt and a little bit of oak. The beer is very burnt tasting. The malt is heavily charred, but there is also a little bit of chocolate and whiskey. I also unfortunately get a little bit of bandaid character in the flavor. Thick mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

2.4/5  rDev -37.5%

Bottle

Pour It Black
Stone Brew Co.
Escondido, CA

Black throughout with nearly no head and very little visible carbonation. This beer doesn't leave much at all in the way of lace or stick, though that can be expected at this ABV.

The aroma is not particularly pleasant. There's a lot of melted rubber (or plastic?) character in the nose along with tons of char and stale smoke. Unpleasant.

The flavor follows the aroma, unfortunately. While there's a huge amount of smoke flavor, it doesn't seem particularly earthy or meaty--just stale, sort of like an old casino ashtray. The melted rubber/plastic character is back as well.

Medium to thick bodied with low carbonation--oily and extremely rich. The beer does at least succeed here.

I advise you not to drink this.

4.9/5  rDev +27.6%

Wow. Poured into my Zatec fluted glass from a 500 ml bottle. Holy crap is it ever black. A finger of brick colored head, medium retention, decent lacing. Smells oh god of honey. I didn't read too much into the making of, but seems probably like Highland barrels. Some nice roasty coffee on the nose as well. Tastes glorious. Honey up front flowing into burnt dry coffee and then fading out into more of a sugared coffee. A bit of dark chocolate as well. Mouthfeel is it's only flaw, and it's minor. A bit thin on the tongue, but still nice and creamy. I wanted to give this a perfect score from the taste and smell, but couldn't do it. Nice warming alcohol in me, but not overpowering for near 11%.

3.93/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a pitch black color with a small tight brown head that settles into a light ring. The aroma is very unique. I pick up smoke, ash, licorice, molasses, roasted malt and a bizarre band aid scent. Perhaps some alcohol vapors as well. The smoke flavor is forefront in the profile; its strong but the malt body can handle it. There is some ashy characteristics as well to go along with a strong roasted malt. Tart berry fruitiness and the honey add some additional complexity. Luckily the bizarre phenols in the aroma don't come through in the taste. The feel is thick and chewy with tingly carbonation; bitter aftertaste from the smoke and roasted malt. This is a very bold stout; strong roasted flavors to go with a strong smoke presence. I like smoke in my beers so this works for me. It is a bit ashy but I think it works well with this stout. The ABV does peak through at times.

3.31/5  rDev -13.8%

Batch No: 427
Brygget (brewed?): 180509
Best Before: 180514

A - A great looking pour. Pitch black, dark brown head that eventually fades to a complete lacing across the top of the beer. 8oz pour into a Founders tulip. Sticks well to the side when swirled. It appears to be a magnificent stout.

S - Rubbing alcohol mixed with scotch? As it settles I start to get a permanent marker odor instead of the previously noted aroma. Sharpie is seriously what I smell in passing. I suppose than another interpretation could be scotch mixed with smoke, but I'll stick with Sharpie. Poor aroma.

T - Smoke the whole way through, especially at the end and on the tongue. The thickness helps the flavor stick around. I can't decide if I really like this or think it is sub-par after my 2nd sip. It tastes a lot like dark roasted malts turning almost immediately into a smokey stout. I think if I preferred smoked stouts, this beer would be magnificent. I actually don't like smoked stouts, but I refuse to dock the beer due to my personal preference here. I am bumping the score due to balance. I will admit, there is a great amount of balance throughout each sip I take. The further I get into my pour, the better the taste gets. I begin to get the subtle burnt wood instead of just "smoke". Further down the glass, I start to find a small amount of sweetness that was otherwise hidden. I think this helps keep everything together. It really helps the drinkability.

M - Great body, great texture. I think this is what a stout should consist of....no real complaints here.

O - Even for a smokey beer, I actually think I will enjoy the rest of this bottle. The body/mouthfeel are beautiful. Flavor gets better as the sips continue. However, it still smells like a Sharpie. I would SPLIT a bottle of this in the future instead of opening it without company. I think if I smoked cigars, this beer would be perfect. If I'd known ahead of time that it would taste exactly like this, I would've split this and two cigars with my neighbor.

1.64/5  rDev -57.3%

Man this was a bad beer... an abosultely over malted mess. yikes!

no head and totally flat. very viscous like motor oil.

Horrible taste. cigarette butts, ash and charcoal. Burnt malt. Ugh. Extremely hot. The Scotch barrel aging doesn't help with this one at all. The Scotch barrels added a awefull peaty taste. Basically this tastes like 100 cigarettes where put out in swamp water and they decided to bottle it.

I rarely bash a beer like this one. To me this is undrinkable. I cannot see age helping this one either. It is just an over malted burnt mess.

Drain pour and an expensive one at that as I paid almost 15.99$ for the 550 ML bottle.

4.76/5  rDev +24%

Bottle
Purchased at Bruisin' Ales in Asheville, NC
2009

Appearance: Black as night. Pours like motor oil into a snifter. Very little head, but not much needed - I feel this beer should drink like a fine wine, since it's been aged in scotch barrels.

Smell: Immediately a robust peaty smell followed by a spectrum of tastes: lemongrass, honey, hazelnut, musk, dark truffle, citrus, tobacco. Alcohol stings my nosehairs - but as a true imperial stout should.

Taste: The taste is very robust dark chocolate up front that dissolves across the palate into dark cerise cherries - it exits with a zing.

Mouthfeel: Big N Silky.

Overall: Doesn't make me feel froggy in the mouth which is always good.

4.32/5  rDev +12.5%

Ok, so here we have one I am literally giddy to be able to try. I had been saving this bottle, along with another one that crashed on the garage floor,( my bad) for a while till I had a reason to open it. Consumed via a couple snifters, late night on 7/04/2010.

Dark as night pour here, really just immensely black and evil looking from the start. A small but quickly fleeting head of light tan rises up from the bottom of the glass and sits on top for a brief moment before settling back down again. Aroma is burnt, smoked, and peaty, however you want to say it, wow. Dark leather and tobacco, smoked malts, rich, dark chocolate notes. Immense aroma of charred wood. Holy crap this is a beast. Warming brings out subtle vanilla, but barely as the bulk of this is just tremendous smoke. Each sip is rich, again seeped in smoked malts and rich campfire like tones. Smoked wood dominates as does subtle sweet notes of honey, light touches of vanilla and a rich leather and tobacco finish. ABV is definitely catching up to you here for sure by the end as each sip lets you know how big this one really is.

Overall one of the most intense selections I have had from them to date. The smoked profile is so huge that I just was amazed at the depth here. This is one to be careful with and surely a night cap.

3.75/5  rDev -2.3%

A: The beer is jet black in color and poured with an oil slick-like mocha head that quickly dissipated. It poured almost like the consistency of motor oil.
S: There are strong aromas of scotch with notes of smoke and tobacco in the nose. Hints of roasted malts are also discernable.
T: The taste is very complex and consists of flavors of dark roasted malts, leather, smoke and tobacco along with some hints of oak. It is very well balanced.
M: It feels full-bodied on the palate with lots of warming sensations from the alcohol.
D: This is definitely a beer that needs to be sipped because of its complex flavors and strong alcohol content.

3.52/5  rDev -8.3%

My virgin Mikkeller experience.

Pitch black with slight hints of a dark red chocolate cake around the edges where the light hits the glass and in the head.

The smell. Oh the smell. I'm blown away with smokiness. Smells like a campfire that was extinguished a few hours ago with a package of Hersey bars that were intended for s'mores which were accidentally thrown in.

I get the barrel. I get the stout. I get chocolate. I get slight coffee. Im not sure if the intense smoke comes from the aging in scotch whiskey barrels or something else. It throws me off.

Im not a huge smoke beer guy. Not in the least.

4.38/5  rDev +14.1%

Poured from 500 mL bottle into snifter.
A: The absolute darkest beer I've had to date. Like a black hole it absorbs light. To top it off, it has a nice 3/4 inch uber dark chocolate head. Pours thick, dark, and heavy. Simply wonderful.
S: Dark roast coffee, sweet whiskey, dark roast malt, tobacco and charred wood.
T: Whiskey, dark roast coffee with cream, burnt and bitter chocolate malt, leather, tobacco, and a hint of sweetness in the background (honey?). All things dark and good. There is some dark dried fruit lurking under all of these assertive flavors that emerges with warming.
M: Super heavy, thick and chewy. Moderately dry and bitter. Mild sticky sweetness. Bitter coffee finish.
D: Definitely a sipper, but oh so good. They went all out on this brew. Almost too big though. If they could tone down the bitterness this would be an absolute home run. Tip of the cap to Mikkeller.

2.99/5  rDev -22.1%

500ml bottle shared by twig86 - thanks, Derek!

Pours quite black with a one-finger, dark mocha head. Head dissipates rather quickly and leaves a light lace. The aroma is dominated by styrofoam packing peanuts, strangely (though admittedly, others in my tasting group didn't get this smell). Underneath the packing peanuts, there were notes of toasty malt, bitterweet chocolate and a strong scotch booziness. The taste is dominated by an intense bitter chocolate flavor with an underlying scotch component. The oak really comes through on the palette as well along with a lighter plastic flavor. Rather full-bodied and creamy with only light carbonation. Strong alcohol warming effect. Not particularly drinkable stuff due to the intensely bitter and boozy flavors, not to the mention the strange styrofoam aroma and light plasticy taste. I can't say I've been a big fan of many Mikkeller products aside from the Beer Geek Breakfast series, especially considering their high-end price point.

4.47/5  rDev +16.4%

Mikkeller Black Tie

Appearance: very dark brown, small head, and some good lacing.

Smell: dark fruit, chocolate, and a sweetness.

Taste: roasted malts, cocoa, a faint sweetness, and a hint of dark fruit with a whiskey twist.

Mouthfeel: medium-heavy and smooth.

Overall:
This is a very pure stout. You can taste the quality of the ingredients. The barrel aging isn't overpowering at all.

3.98/5  rDev +3.6%

Thanks a lot to my man Finewinemike for sending me this 500ml bottle of possible black gold. Pouring at fridge temp into a tulip glass.

A- Pours like motor oil with a nice 1 finger darker brown head with a even combination of little bubbles and bigger. Poured aggressively. Super thick lacing on the side of the glass with plenty of alcohol feet left behind.

S- Roasted malts with huge sweet notes from the honey and slight smoke. On top of that is a nice blend of oak and vanilla with tons of scotch whiskey and alcohol.

T- Strong roasted/smoky malts and unsweetened dark chocolate, with a nice coffee presence in there as well. But what takes the show is definitely the strong scotch whiskey flavors from the barrel. Unlike the smell the oak and vanilla are undertaken by the alcohol flavors (almost to much) and are only slightly there. The same goes for the honey, the stout flavors and the whiskey take over but that's expected. Very complex and definitely a big beer no doubt.

M- Full thicker body with moderate carbonation and finish's like a scotch whiskey. Leaves that burn in the back of your throat hah.

Overall this beer is really really good but not amazing. It's super complex and well blended but at the same time it's kind of a mess. The beer finish's way to hot and the scotch is a little bit to much. Really over takes the stout flavors and makes you fight to pick them out. Don't get me wrong it's an excellent beer, but not the best barrel aged beer I've had.

SkÅL!

4.03/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a Mikkeller tulip.

A: Creeps out of the bottle a fantastic, evil looking shade of pure black. Gorgeous milk chocolate/rust colored foam perched on top that retains for ages. The head gradually melts down to a thin, finely bubbled, rust colored ring that left a surplus of webs on the inside of the glass. Has legs when swirled.

S: When I first pried off the cap I got a huge whiff of char and peaty Scotch Whisky. Lots of barrel, initially. After that, I was really surprised by how much of the honey I was able to pick up on. Just the right thing to take a slight edge off the earthy and smoky barrel aromas.

T: Closely follows what I described above with a healthy dose of nuclear blackened malt, dark and bakers chocolate, sweet dark fruit, and of course peat, char, and honey.

M: Actually has a bit of a whisky burn when swallowed. This pretty much covers a lot of bases; sweet, oily, bitter, astringent, spicy, and smoky. This thing has a huge finish that sports an excellent integration of a slight scotch burn.

D: Excellent considering the abv and the potential for over the top whisky-ness. Sure, it's a one and done sipper, but what a nice ride!

4.2/5  rDev +9.4%

A-Pours jet black with one of the most gorgeous dark chocolate colored heads I've ever seen. Leaves spotty, sticky lacing.

S-Smoky. Spicy. Smells like freshly tilled earth, cocoa powder and raw honey.

T/M-Roasty, chocolaty goodness, with a touch of bitter hops on the back end. Flavors of cocoa powder and Highland scotch dominate, with meaty, earthy undertones. Like a steak dinner with chocolate cake and a glass of scotch. The finish has notes of bold roasted coffee bean and earthy hoppiness. Full bodied and smooth, with light carbonation.

O-Goddamn Mikkeller, you nailed it again. I may have to cellar a few of these.

4.08/5  rDev +6.3%

500 ml bottle, from Voldby Købmandsgård. Batch #427. ABV is 11.5%. Pitch black colour, huge chocolate brown head. Strong roasty aroma with notes of coffee and tar, also notes of peaty smoke (from the whisky barrel, obviously - and the smoked malts), hints of sea water, dark dried fruits and oak, some vinous notes too. The flavour is extremely intense, loads of tar, very strong coffee, oak and smoke. The honey is barely noticeable. Quite bitter, with an ashy finish. Not for the faint of heart.

4.42/5  rDev +15.1%

The beer is very dark brown, almost black, a brown head, solid, slightly uneven, much lacing.

The smell is intensely sweet, honey combs, dried dark fruits and sherry and nuts.

The taste is "dry", somewhat smoky, burnt crust, dates, raisins, port wine and cherry seeds.

Medium carbonation, a full, overfull, body, soft and round with a good dry finish.

Wow, this beer has it all, looks, smell, taste and body. And soul.

3.28/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

500ml : snifter
2010 vintage.

Pours black with a thick, foamy, dark brown head. Dissipates to leaves a thin foam across the surface.

Honey and cocoa notes blend well with the whiskey and oak notes.

Starts out okay, with more honey and cocoa notes, but is quickly by strong boozy Scotch notes.

Medium body, a bit viscous, low bubbly carbonation.

A good beer, though the intensity of the Scotch/whiskey/char notes in the palate are a bit distracting.

3.48/5  rDev -9.4%

A - Black beer with a tan head that had decent retention. Exceptionally dark and viscous.

S - Roasted notes with a bit of chocolate and a little too much booze. Smells like it could use time time. Roasted notes are nice, but the whiskey is just a little too strong.

T - Roasted malts, chocolate, scotch. There's enough scotch that this beer actually has to be pretty big to keep the flavor profile that it does. Quite a bit going on, but not sure it's the best combination of large flavors, just a bit much for me.

M - Full bodied with medium carbonation and an alcohol-like finish.

O - Good beer, not great, and maybe it will be better with time, but it's worth trying.

4.28/5  rDev +11.5%

Bottle poured into Duvel tulip.

A- Pours black as night with a big three fingered mocha colored head. It sticks around for what seems like an eternity and leaves some of the best lacing I have seen. If I didn't know any I would have thought there was a milkshake in there. Just a gorgeous looking beer.

S- Big roasted malts with the sweetness from the honey picking through. Some nice bits of coffee, dark chocolate and black licorice. I was thinking I would pick up more whiskey but it is well integrated. The alcohol is pretty well covered up.

T- There is the whiskey. Not overpowering but it is the first thing my tongue detects. Smooth chocolate and roasted malts. The alcohol is a little more apparent.

M- About as thick of a beer as I have had and it is great. The smoothness of it is wonderful. You barely pick up any carbonation and that is fine by me. You get a little heat on the back of the throat making for a good winter beer.

D- This is the first beer to wow me in a long time. Everything about this beer is right on. The great balance of flavors combined with the thick body and looks amazing in the glass as well. I will definitely be revisiting this beer in the near future. Pick it up if you can find it.

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

The liquid is pich dark and the two finger brown head fadest to leave some very nice looking lacing on the glass.

The smell is overwhelming! Lots of tar, cherry, wood, figs, raisins and with a very smoky feel to it. Some alcohol aswell...

This is like licking on some burned wood. Afterwards you get some cherry, roasted malts, alcohol, some spicyness, a vague hint of chocolate, but the burned wood is really dominant.

The mouthfeel is smooth and thick with low carbonation.

Drinking this beer is like having a staff sergeant telling you to sit down do nothing else. It hits you like a hammer. I find it hard to finish this one due to the amount of alcohol.

to view more.