Black Tie - Mikkeller ApS

Black TieBlack Tie

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.50% ABV

Black Tie was first dubbed Mandeøl (Man Beer). It was brewed for the Swedish market and only as draught beer. After spending four months in Scottish whiskey barrels and then being bottled it earned it's present name, Black Tie. Black Tie is an imperial stout with honey and smoked barley. Sweet, smokey and sophisticated - slick and sexy like a black tie.

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.

(Beer added by: niklas0770 on 06-16-2010)
4.25/5  rDev +11%

Poured this bottle of Black Tie into my Mikkeller Mugshot Tulip Glass.. I was told by the folks at West Lakeview Liquors that this had been aging at the store for 18 months.

Appearance: Black Tie glugs an inky, jet black color out of the bottle and forms a two-tier very dark brown, almost espresso looking head.

Smell: globs of raw white honey and milk chocolate; one of the better smelling imperial stouts I've had in a while (possibly ever?)

Taste: rich and sweet; this a beer that deserves to be savored slowly.. The smoked barley adds a nice smokiness that really plays wells with the honey.. The Scottish whiskey barrel seems to have taken a backseat, but this may be because my bottle sat for a long time bottle's age.. either way, it's workin' well - I think I prefer the whiskey element to be somewhat subdued in this context.

Mouthfeel: unbelievably smooth and slick. This is the area where I think Mikkeller excels.

Overall: probably a bit too expensive at $17.49, but I'll have to admit, Black Tie was an absolute pleasure to drink.

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

2.5/5  rDev -34.7%

3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

500ml into a Bruery snifter...

A - Pours black with a one finger dark brown head. Head retention is decent and there is a good amount of lace to be had...

S - Chocolate, roasted malts, dark fruits, and a good dose of Whiskey. The Barrel adds some sweet notes, but roast is still prominate...

T - A good amount of chocolate and roast up front followed by a very smooth Whiskey warmth. Finishes with more roast and a little hop presence. Lingering Whiskey also makes an appearance in the finsh. Not picking up any honey, but Whiskey blends very well and makes for a really enjoyable drink...

M - On the higher end of the medium bodied scale with a moderate amount of carbonation...

O - Really enjoyed this one as I usually do with offerings form Mikkeller, but unfortunately this is not something I would recommend. Solid brew, but the price is definitely out of whack when it comes down to price-vs-quality. All in all, a good beer, but probably not something I would buy again...

Cheers...

From 01/07/12 notes. Not sure if Brad or GT brought this to the RB tasting but thanks!

a - Pours a pitch black color with two inch of tan head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of smoke, roasted malts, whiskey, coffee, peat, musty notes, and toasted malts. Lots of smoke and whiskey.

t - Tastes of smoke, whiskey, roasted malts, coffee, dark chocolate, peat.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation. A tiny bit hot, and a bit dry.

o - Overall a nice smoked stout. A tiny bit hot but I liked it quite a bit. Would like to have it again.

1.5/5  rDev -60.8%

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

4.8/5  rDev +25.3%

Bottle
Purchased at Bruisin' Ales in Asheville, NC
2009

Appearance: Black as night. Pours like motor oil into a snifter. Very little head, but not much needed - I feel this beer should drink like a fine wine, since it's been aged in scotch barrels.

Smell: Immediately a robust peaty smell followed by a spectrum of tastes: lemongrass, honey, hazelnut, musk, dark truffle, citrus, tobacco. Alcohol stings my nosehairs - but as a true imperial stout should.

Taste: The taste is very robust dark chocolate up front that dissolves across the palate into dark cerise cherries - it exits with a zing.

Mouthfeel: Big N Silky.

Overall: Doesn't make me feel froggy in the mouth which is always good.

2.38/5  rDev -37.9%

Bottle

Pour It Black
Stone Brew Co.
Escondido, CA

Black throughout with nearly no head and very little visible carbonation. This beer doesn't leave much at all in the way of lace or stick, though that can be expected at this ABV.

The aroma is not particularly pleasant. There's a lot of melted rubber (or plastic?) character in the nose along with tons of char and stale smoke. Unpleasant.

The flavor follows the aroma, unfortunately. While there's a huge amount of smoke flavor, it doesn't seem particularly earthy or meaty--just stale, sort of like an old casino ashtray. The melted rubber/plastic character is back as well.

Medium to thick bodied with low carbonation--oily and extremely rich. The beer does at least succeed here.

I advise you not to drink this.

3.53/5  rDev -7.8%

My virgin Mikkeller experience.

Pitch black with slight hints of a dark red chocolate cake around the edges where the light hits the glass and in the head.

The smell. Oh the smell. I'm blown away with smokiness. Smells like a campfire that was extinguished a few hours ago with a package of Hersey bars that were intended for s'mores which were accidentally thrown in.

I get the barrel. I get the stout. I get chocolate. I get slight coffee. Im not sure if the intense smoke comes from the aging in scotch whiskey barrels or something else. It throws me off.

Im not a huge smoke beer guy. Not in the least.

4.38/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured from 500 mL bottle into snifter.
A: The absolute darkest beer I've had to date. Like a black hole it absorbs light. To top it off, it has a nice 3/4 inch uber dark chocolate head. Pours thick, dark, and heavy. Simply wonderful.
S: Dark roast coffee, sweet whiskey, dark roast malt, tobacco and charred wood.
T: Whiskey, dark roast coffee with cream, burnt and bitter chocolate malt, leather, tobacco, and a hint of sweetness in the background (honey?). All things dark and good. There is some dark dried fruit lurking under all of these assertive flavors that emerges with warming.
M: Super heavy, thick and chewy. Moderately dry and bitter. Mild sticky sweetness. Bitter coffee finish.
D: Definitely a sipper, but oh so good. They went all out on this brew. Almost too big though. If they could tone down the bitterness this would be an absolute home run. Tip of the cap to Mikkeller.

4.22/5  rDev +10.2%

A-Pours jet black with one of the most gorgeous dark chocolate colored heads I've ever seen. Leaves spotty, sticky lacing.

S-Smoky. Spicy. Smells like freshly tilled earth, cocoa powder and raw honey.

T/M-Roasty, chocolaty goodness, with a touch of bitter hops on the back end. Flavors of cocoa powder and Highland scotch dominate, with meaty, earthy undertones. Like a steak dinner with chocolate cake and a glass of scotch. The finish has notes of bold roasted coffee bean and earthy hoppiness. Full bodied and smooth, with light carbonation.

O-Goddamn Mikkeller, you nailed it again. I may have to cellar a few of these.

4.05/5  rDev +5.7%

500ml into a snifter.

A-This is the absolute blackest beer I've ever seen. Motoroil is an apt description. Decent head, but it's hardly noticeable because of the body.

S-The smell is strikingly coffee fronted with other burnt/leather notes.

T-Coffee. There was more coffee taste in this stout than some of the *coffee* stouts I've had. Exceptionally rich, with a finish of leather and chocolate if you close your eyes and concentrate real hard.

M-Thick, and smooth.

O-For no other descriptors than "Imperial Stout" this beer has a ton of flavors and body. An excellent beer, especially if you prefer the coffee dominance in your RIS.

4.47/5  rDev +16.7%

Just an amazing looking beer. The amazing part is the color of the thick pillowy head. Deep bronze, like molten lava, then fluffs out to a creamy topping. Liquid is deep and black.

Loads of honey. Terrific aromas, almost a 5 for aroma but honey may even be slightly overpowering. Some chocolate, whiskey, light wood, some winey sherry notes and notes of oxidation. Both milk and dark chocolate aromas, with some dark fruit mingled in.

Man the scotch barrel flavors really shine in the mouth. Iodine, peat, bog myrtle, scotch, dark chocolate, honey comb sweet and succulent. More iodine just layers though the finish. Dark fruits though the middle with light anise, oak, vanilla, and mocha. Complex and deep. The honey works splendidly with the scotch barrel aging. Creamy and rich and light on the end. Finish is forever and off dry.

4.35/5  rDev +13.6%

The pours crude-oil black with a thick brown foam. The initial smell is of cherries and dark fruit with a slight whiff of ethanol, which is not at all surprising given that this is a sturdy 11.5% ABV. The initial flavor is not that impressive. It reminds me of a million other reasonably well-balanced stouts I've drunk in the past. Luckily this "well-balanced" flavor doesn't last long. A unique burnt coffee flavor quickly overwhelms the sweet stout flavor. Its difficult to convey how strong the burnt coffee is. I feel like I just licked an ashtray, but in a good way. Before long, my tongue is slightly numb from all of the alcohol.

This isn't the best imperial stout I've ever had and the strong flavors make it difficult to drink a full bottle, but the beer is definitely unique. I hope Mikkeller continues to experiment.

3.7/5  rDev -3.4%

A nice stout from Mikkeller. I can't read Danish, so I'm not entirely sure what's in this but I get the impression its whisky-barrel aged.

Thick, oily black with a very dense brown head that will not dissipate. Sweet, sugar smell - almost creamy too. Strong suggestions of whisky. This smells almost like a whisky liqueur.

The taste is quite bitter: full of roasted malt, wood and whisky. Very little of the sweet, sugariness in the scent translates to the taste. Winey background, and a noticeable alcohol burn.

Smooth, thick and very little carbonation.

A good beer, but the bitterness and alcohol could be toned down. A little work and this could be awesome.

3.38/5  rDev -11.7%

Batch No: 427
Brygget (brewed?): 180509
Best Before: 180514

A - A great looking pour. Pitch black, dark brown head that eventually fades to a complete lacing across the top of the beer. 8oz pour into a Founders tulip. Sticks well to the side when swirled. It appears to be a magnificent stout.

S - Rubbing alcohol mixed with scotch? As it settles I start to get a permanent marker odor instead of the previously noted aroma. Sharpie is seriously what I smell in passing. I suppose than another interpretation could be scotch mixed with smoke, but I'll stick with Sharpie. Poor aroma.

T - Smoke the whole way through, especially at the end and on the tongue. The thickness helps the flavor stick around. I can't decide if I really like this or think it is sub-par after my 2nd sip. It tastes a lot like dark roasted malts turning almost immediately into a smokey stout. I think if I preferred smoked stouts, this beer would be magnificent. I actually don't like smoked stouts, but I refuse to dock the beer due to my personal preference here. I am bumping the score due to balance. I will admit, there is a great amount of balance throughout each sip I take. The further I get into my pour, the better the taste gets. I begin to get the subtle burnt wood instead of just "smoke". Further down the glass, I start to find a small amount of sweetness that was otherwise hidden. I think this helps keep everything together. It really helps the drinkability.

M - Great body, great texture. I think this is what a stout should consist of....no real complaints here.

O - Even for a smokey beer, I actually think I will enjoy the rest of this bottle. The body/mouthfeel are beautiful. Flavor gets better as the sips continue. However, it still smells like a Sharpie. I would SPLIT a bottle of this in the future instead of opening it without company. I think if I smoked cigars, this beer would be perfect. If I'd known ahead of time that it would taste exactly like this, I would've split this and two cigars with my neighbor.

4.22/5  rDev +10.2%

Hefty and rich Whisky barrel stout, with a marked bitter edge that is coated by a nice hint of honey.

Presentation: 500 ml brown capped bottle. Simple front label design, black Mikkeller branding over a light cream/salmon background with the profile of the brewer dressed up in black tie. Includes a small paragraph noting the style and intent Shows Alc. by Vol. (11.5%) Served into a snifter.

A - Black pour, with a nice brown 1/2" head, fair retention and surface memory with some small touches of lacing.

S - Boozy nose, hefty Scotch, bitter sense over roasted malt, notes of smoke...

T - Taste follows and after some direct assertiveness gains a richer flow. Assertive notes of Scotch, a bit generic but quality, smoked touches, with a bitter closing that has a shy but nice hint of honey. Plenty of bitter coffee notes, chocolate, and back to the Scotch flow.

M - Medium/full body with moderate carbonation, smooth with a nice bitter/sweet finish.

D - Nice full sipper with a good character that grows as it flows. Intense Scotch sense.

Notes: This one may deserve a bigger mark if one is the right kind of Whisky lover. The edge is assertive and rather well done, and loved the brew, but it does not represent my favorite sense of Whisky and in that regard, while extraordinary, I may have been slightly unfair. Noted for a recheck and to try with more traditional Scotch drinkers.

4.13/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured black as an oil slick with a thin deep beige head that was gone pretty quickly,Scotch whiskey all over the place in the nose,peat smoke,caramel,and port-like deep fruit and leather,alot going on and it was all good.Mouth coating thick mouthfeel made for great sipping,flavors of smoke,caramel/vanilla,and dark fruit are quite rich.A great savoring sipping brew,its thick and warming.

4.43/5  rDev +15.7%

The beer is very dark brown, almost black, a brown head, solid, slightly uneven, much lacing.

The smell is intensely sweet, honey combs, dried dark fruits and sherry and nuts.

The taste is "dry", somewhat smoky, burnt crust, dates, raisins, port wine and cherry seeds.

Medium carbonation, a full, overfull, body, soft and round with a good dry finish.

Wow, this beer has it all, looks, smell, taste and body. And soul.

Black Tie from Mikkeller ApS