Beer Geek Bacon - Mikkeller ApS

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

Oatmeal Stout |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: bark on 07-02-2010

A smoked version of the Beer Geek Breakfast.

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.
3.38/5  rDev -13.3%

On Tap at Stone.

Aroma of licorice. Smokey flavor start to finish. Ends with and alcohol, licorice flavor. Some coffee notes but they seemed subdued to me.

There is a lot of Smokey flavor going on with this beer. It's important to know that going in. Not as much of a thick body as it looks and sounds like it'd have, making it relatively easy to drink. (355 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a tulip glass from a 1 pt. 9 fl oz. bottle.

A - Pours a very viscous pitch black liquid with a nice dark tan head that is about 1.5 inch tall. The head is very sticky and quite dense. It almost seems like the top of some creme brule.

S - Smoke comes up quick with some nice delicious roasted malt darkness. Some burnt coffee notes as well as some slight bitter chocolate and sweetness. The espresso notes are pretty nice as well.

T & M - Starts off with some very smokey notes that translate into some slightly overcooked bacon. Dark roasted malt offer some burnt flavors as well as some nice coffee notes. The smoke is very intense. I feel like I'm eating a campfire. Slightly one dimensional brew as Mikkeller usually exhibits. Not my favorite.

O - Very one dimensional. (789 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -14.1%

Dark black with a dark brown two finger head. Has decent retention, and a little lacing. The aroma has chocolate, coffee, smoked malt, but no bacon. The smoke is not as strong as I had hoped.

The first thing I tasted was the smoked malt, followed by coffee and chocolate. The smoke is not as strong in this beer, as it is in other smoked beers. There is nothing in the flavor which suggests bacon, or any other smoked meat. Still a nice beer, but a little disappointing.

Medium to full bodied with a bitter aftertaste and mild carbonation. This beer does not have as much of the smoky, or bacon flavor as I had hoped, which is disappointing. I am still glad I had a chance to try this. (687 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -14.6%

Doesn't a smoked breakfast stout sound good? It did to me. On to the beer:

Lookin good. It's pitch black with tan colored foam. The head forms thick with solid retention and leaves several healthy rings of lacing sticking to the glass. The nose is coffeeish, also imparting a light bacon aroma, which fits the theme. As far as overall intensity, the overall nose is less intense as its other two siblings.

The first few ounces are fine. There's a presence of mocha and a squirt of hops. Also present is a subtle note of cured meats. But for the price of the cured meats are a major component of cigarette ash. (I know this because I once mistaken a beer bottle at a get together that was being used as an ashtray, if you will, and put that bottle to my lips instead of the one I was drinking from!) The other criticsm is the mocha flavor numbing. It's still decent tasting, but far from a world class beer. The ash aftertaste doesn't help a whole lot. If there's one thing to be proud of, it's the thickish mouthfeel reminiscent of a milkshake.

I love the idea of a smoked oatmeal stout. However, I don't enjoy the smoked flavor so overdone that it's basically ash. It's decent overall and doesn't force you to choke it down; I simply expected a better beer from Mikkeller. (1,278 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -14.6%

This brew pours out like old motor oil, it looks super thick going into the glass. The smell is smokey but not overwhelmingly. You can pick up on other aromas too like medicine and a little bit of burnt coffee. The taste is surprisingly a much lighter smoked flavor than I expected. Some smoked beers are just way too much and it makes it gross. This one wasn't too bad, but not great though. The mouthfeel is also surprisingly lighter than the look it has. This beer is a little deceptive with the eyes. It's ok but nothing fantastic. (535 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

3/6/2011

On tap at Churchill's in a snifter.

A: Black and thick with a fast fading small creamy light brown cap.

S: Big beachwood and applewood bacon smoke profile, it's all consuming. There's some chocolate and coffee beneath, but they're really overshadowed. Smells good, but sort of one note. A little char in there.

T: The beachwood smoke is a little less powerful, but it's still the strongest characteristic. Coffee is evident, accompanying bitter dark chocolate and a moderate roasted malt profile. I get a dash of molasses. Pretty dry, no real sweetness. Booze is pretty well hidden.

M: Full in body with moderate carbonation. Mouthfeel is dry, astringent, and sticky. Some warming is noticeable.

Overall: I wouldn't care to drink it again, but not bad. (767 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -15.9%

Big thanks to Jeff for sharing this at a recent tasting. Cheers!

Appearance -- Pours an inky black with zero highlights and a slim tan head.

Smell -- As the name would suggest, LOTS of rich, earthy woodsmoke present from the onset. Additionally, there is some malt roastiness, dark chocolate, and espresso.

Taste -- Again, lots and lots of woodsmoke akin to being at a bonfire. Also, there is some noticeable meatiness along with roast malt, espresso, baker's chocolate, and little bit of soy sauce. Not a great deal of malt sweetness, just smoke and char.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-full in body with milder carbonation. Not bad.

Drinkability -- Wow. This one is definitely for a specific clientele. One of the smokiest beers I've ever had. Interesting, good, but not great. Had no problem finishing my taster, but beyond that may have been tricky. (847 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pours like a typical stout, black in color with a nice dark tan almost brown head to it. has medium retention leaving spotty lacing

nice aroma oatmeal and smoke stand out, with chocolate, coffee and nutty notes.

wow very very smokey, with some focus i was able to find some oatmeal, chocolate through the smoke.

medium bodied and medium- lightly carbonated. pretty viscous

overall for me the taste brings the beer down a lot it was just way to smokey felt like i was drinking an ash tray. it had a nice aroma and look to it but i was disappointed. (552 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -16.2%

I am still plowing through my backlog of bottles, but I may break down and hit some CANs in the next couple of days. In the meantime, here is a curiosity that I picked up at Hunger 'n' Thirst a while back.

From the bottle: "Smoked Oatmeal Stout Brewed With Coffee". Hokey smoke, Bullwinkle, this sounds really good!

The beauty of these really dark beers is that when I employ an aggro pour, the pseudo-cascade is extremely visible. I sat back in awe and watched it settle into two fingers of very dense, deep-tan/light-brown head with good retention. Color was an Opaque Black (SRM = 44) and it looked like the depths of outer space in my glass. Nose was very coffee-like with just a modicum of underlying smokiness. Mouthfeel was medium. While the coffee was still prevalent on the tongue, the smoke was beginning to assert itself in the mouth and in my sinus cavity. Warming, the smoke got stronger, but so did the coffee. I was really hoping for something much smokier, but since it is listed as an "Oatmeal Stout", rather than a "Rauchbier", I should not dun it too highly for this. Finish was still more prevalently coffee than smoky and I have to admit that I was disappointed. It was just too similar in taste to Beer Geek Breakfast and too lacking in smokiness to be worth the cost for a 330-ml. bottle. (1,314 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -17.7%

Just from the image on the bottle of rising smoke I know this beer is going to portray just that.
Pours oily black with an immense frothy mocha head that fades back down ever so slowly leaving little lacing that follows the head - small head retains itself atop the beer keeping it looking nice. Instant smell of sour smoke and charred meat - deep dark chocolaty malts present. Taste is campfire smoke (if it could be bottled and consumed) and it truly does remind the tastebuds a bit of bacon in a funky way - also flavors of bitter chocolate (mostly in aftertaste, also a spice to it). The feel is smooth, but not thick, just creamy. It leaves a bitter, and dare I say, sour bite on the back of the tongue. This beer developed further as it warmed up but I'm still getting used to the smoked beers so hopefully I can revisit this in the future and enjoy more than I did.

Cheers (880 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -17.7%

A: Looks solid. Pours seemingly viscous with a small head of cream carbonation settling to thick lacing. Very dark stuff with some maroon highlights when held to light.
S: Heavy campfire. If you're looking for smoke (and if you're drinking this you'd better be) here it is. Some burnt malt notes and sharp peat.
T: Pretty straight forward. Nothing wrong here, but really driven by a stale smoke/burnt flavor. It's interesting, but for a 'smoked brew', not particularly enticing or on point. I like, but want more depth. Ideally this would have some more sweetness to round ou the acrid flavor and texture or be thinner and less aggressive to lend itself towards a quaffable brew.
M: Very thin for a purportedly imperial stout. More like a smoked porter. If you leave aside stylistic guidelines, this fairs slightly better. Light-medium mouthfeel with a refreshing carbonation that seems to exacerbate the smokiness and lends little to what I'd like to see here and in the taste; some sweet malt to balance the acrid flavor and thin/harsh texture.
D: I could actually drink a fair bit of this if I enjoyed it more. Not a bad brew, and interesting in its pointed smokiness. It drinks much lighter than it is, and I'd actually give it a higher drinkability rating if I wasn't confident that the smokiness would become even more tiresome. (1,334 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -17.7%

a- bottle poured into a dogfish signature, thick syrupy pour creates two fingers tan very creamy head with great retention, deep black brown color, great looking brew - i feel like i want to garnish with a piece of crispy bacon!

s- a lot of smoke here as expected, and yes, bacon - smokey open fire roasted bacon, dark chocolate, black coffee.

t- thick, roasty, smokey - very, like a burnt dark chocolate coffee, it does have a big of creaminess as well. i do get the bacon in here as well, not as prevalent as the nose, but it's here. it's got a hit on the backend that makes this taste a lot stronger than 7.5%.

m- thick and full, creamy.

d- not the greatest, this one shouldn't be challenging my palate, but it kind of is, it's a sipper for sure. (754 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -17.9%

Pours a nice color like most of the other geek beers i've had. Dark brown head that has good retention. Good carbonation on this. The smell is real nice, smokey coffee that makes me dive right in. The taste, however, is disjointed. I'm barely able to get a 4oz. pour down. I like smoked malts and rauch beer quality but this ones terribly bitter on the finish. The coffee and malty middle doesn't make up for the finish. I was really disappointed in this as I've thoroughly enjoyed the other beer geek breakfast and brunch beers. (529 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -18.5%

Pours jet black with some foam the color of caramel, mocha, and milky coffee. Aroma is peat, smoke, wet campfire, and a little bit of moldy chocolate. Here is a summary of collective taste descriptions:

oh my god this is so horrible
liquid smoke
tastes like burnt popcorn smells
ashy
hickory
smoked meat
like chewing on ash

I honestly didn't get any bacon out of this; certainly not as much as Schlenkerla. This certainly delivers the goods in terms of smokiness, but it wore me down in a hurry. Before the end of my half-bottle, I was 100% burned out. No pun intended. (571 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -18.5%

Poured out of a bottle into a tulip. Small black globules blobbed out with the brew. My imagination? Took a sip felt the gelatinous anomalies slide past my lips and get caught in my teeth. Gross. A heartbroken drainpour.

Second try:
I received a replacement bottle!

This time, the globs were less prevalent and I just decided to stick it out. I have no idea how this might have an effect on the rest of the beer, but here goes:

A: dark as all hell. decent head.

A: smoky, coffee, not as sweet as the other geek breakfasts.

T: smoky, drier than other bgbs. aw heck, there are little oily blobs in my mouth!

m: already addressed this.

bummer! i love the concept, but it was surprisingly light in body and lacked richness and balance. mostly, though, it was the texture. it was like "beer geek tapioca", or "retirement home breakfast." (839 characters)

Consumed on 10/20/10

Pours out a nice thick looking black liquid. Huge head forms in my glass as the beer gets poured. When held up to the light, no light is able to penetrate the body. Head is a light chocolate milk color. The texture of the head is bubbly and foamy. It recedes slowly back into the liquid. A thin film floats on top for most of the session. No lacing is produced at all.

A lot of smoke right away. I believe some coffee is trying to fight its way though all the smoke but comes in small notes. There is also charred wood notes that come along with the smoke. The smell isn't overpowering though and there is also some sweetness that randomly comes out.

Much like the smell, smoke and wood dominate the taste. No real sweetness that I can detect. There is a bitterness that is left in the throat as the beer is swallowed. There is something off about the bitterness though, can't place my finger on it though, I just know I'm not a fan of it. As this opens up more roastiness comes out and the smokiness dies down.

Very thin, even watery at times sadly. Not very impressed here. Carbonation is present but it doesn't seem overly high that would lead to the thin feel, just don't think this is a very thick beer.

I'm not sure if I'd go for this again. I'm not a big fan of smoked beer and perhaps it just isn't for me. If you enjoy smoked beer I'd give this a go but it wasn't for me. (1,406 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -20.3%

Poured into a nonic.

Pours a hugs three finger dark beige head that sits atop a pitch black body. Head dies down to a substantial layer of foam on top. Nice lacing left behind.

Smells roasty, smokey and maybe even a touch salty. Traces of chocolate and oats, but the rauch component is clearly the focus.

Taste follows smell. A smokey and roasty flavor dominates up front. Again there is a bit of salt. Followed by a flash of dark chocolate and oats. The finish is smokey and displays a hint of coffee buried deep in the depths of the taste of this beer, and also a bit of sea salt on the back of the tongue. The smokey component is a bit much though, and reminds me of steak that's been on the grill for too long.

The mouthfeel is big and thick without being too sticky. Low carbonation.

Drinkability is ok. Way too smokey. (829 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -21.3%

Bottle shared by nickd717. Thanks!

Oily opaque black with a thick collar for a head. Burnt bacon aroma, like bacon left in the frying pan for an hour too long; this is tarry, salty and burnt stuff. Tastes better than it smells, tarry and burnt, meaty and smokey. Medium-bodied, thankfully not too syrupy or burnt. Semi-sweet finish with strong roast and smoke. The aroma is fairly offensive, but it doesn't taste bad. Decent. (426 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -22.8%

330 ml bottle. Pours black with a fluffy tan head that retains well and laces the glass some.

The aroma is sweet perfumey grainy chocolate malts with some smokey BBQ and a little roast coffee.

The flavor is lots of bitter plastic like roast with a bit of smokey sweet BBQ and a little coffee. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and slightly watery.

Overall, there's a lot going on (including some off notes). It doesn't mesh really well and the bitter roast is a bit overwhelming. (479 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -23.8%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A- pours jet black with a one finger brown head that fades rather quickly. Lacing is alright.

S- lots of coffee, and *tons* of that smoky flavor you'd expect from the title. I actually...don't like the way they jive as much as I thought I would, but it's still nice.

T- this is actually...kind of disgusting. The smoke is overwhelming, and the coffee is a background flavor. I didn't expect it to be this over the top.

M- thick, but not syrupy. Very nice

D- not a fan. Waaay too smoky for my tastes (543 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -24.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2

Another beer on tap at Palm for MBW. Served in a goblet.

A: Black as coal one finger of mocha hued head, solid retention, light lace ring remains

S: Smoked malt and wood are the first things I pick up. Light coffee and a hint of chocolate can be found if you try real hard but the smoke sort of drowns them out.

T: The flavor is a tug of war between full on smoke and bitter coffee. It's like pouring a cup of black coffee on my tongue over a campfire. I get no bacon at all. Fairly one note for my tastes.

M: full rich body, very low if any carbonation

D: I can totally see what they were shooting for but for my money it's missed the mark. I had trouble choking down the last few sips of this one. (704 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -24.4%

Review from notes:

A: Poured a deep black with a huge three finger mocha head with great retention and some very nice lacing.

S: Quite smokey with some roasted malt, burnt coffee, and bacon, which along with the smoke was the most evident aroma.

T: Had high hopes, but the flavor didn't work for me at all. It tasted like fake bacon, like bacon bits. There is also a rubber/plastic, bandaid like flavor.

M: Medium to full bodied, on the creamier side with a good level of carbonation.

O: Everything was pretty good on this beer except for the flavor profile, the most important feature. Certainly need to try this one again, since other palates I trust have enjoyed this beer. (685 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -26.7%

Poured from a bottle into a Crate and Barrel snifter.

A - Pours pitch black with an amazing dark mocha color head that fades to a lighter mocha color as it settles. Great retention with great lacing. One of the best color heads i have ever seen.

S - Smoke and peat come off strong in the beginning. Burnt brown sugar, slight vanilla and milk chocolate round off the finish. Where is the bacon? I was expecting this to really smell like bacon and its a bit of a let down.

T - Smokey and peaty. I do taste a hint of burnt bacon, but as soon as i taste it, its forgotten. There a flavors of tobacco and leather. The finish is a bit medicinal and a bit of band-aid/chloraseptic is present. Bitter espresso is the only coffee flavors that i get.

M - Medium bodied with light carbonation. The ABV is fairly well hidden.

O - A "unique" beer. I really have been wanting to try this beer for some time expecting some real bacon flavors and aromas and i barely got any. It was kind of a let down, along with the medicinal aftertastes i don't think i would buy this again. (1,067 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -28.2%

Looked like pouring espresso out of the bottle. The head (1.5 inch) developed like a brown, carbonated crema.

A confusing thing to sniff at. The mix of coffee, heavily roasted, smoked, bright, carmely, leathery malt is overwhelming. My wife says she smells a hint of balsamic vinegar. It almost has the odor of burnt transmission fluid. In fact it smells very similar to may dad, who is a mechanic that drinks 2 pots of coffee a day. Ooh, it leaves a pretty little lacing on the side of the glass too. Oh wait, little bits of a collagen-like substance stick to the sides of the glass (even poured in two different glasses to make sure I wasn't seeing things).

*new hair follicle sprouts between my eyebrows*

What is the difference between a hop bitterness and a coffee bitterness? I can't tell in this beer. Wherever it comes from, it lingers for a little bit. There is a sweetness that is similar to a spoonful of sugar and a splash of cream that kinda takes the edge off. Actually, there aren't a lot of edges, just a lot of charred flavors that aren't subtle. The way all of the flavors mix isn't very good to me at this time. (1,132 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -31%

Reviewed from notes:

appearance: dark black with a 2 finger mocha head

smell: bacon, smoke, malts, barley,

taste: bacon, smoke, funky plastic,

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, full body,

overall: I really wanted to like this beer. But some of the off flavors and smell turned me off.

Cheers,